PDA

View Full Version : RIP Coolio

Monostradamus
09-28-2022, 08:23 PM
https://consequence.net/2022/09/coolio-dead/

Coolio Found Dead at Age 59The "Gangsters Paradise" rapper reportedly suffered cardiac arrest

Monostradamus
09-28-2022, 08:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJMnnKgNjg

DAF86
09-28-2022, 08:42 PM
Creator of the greatest hip hop song ever?

Spurminator
09-28-2022, 08:47 PM

Amish Paradise is good, but not the greatest ever probably

DAF86
09-28-2022, 08:58 PM
Amish Paradise is good, but not the greatest ever probably

I don't know man. One of the few songs that can get played ten millions times and never gets old.

DMX7
09-28-2022, 09:41 PM
https://consequence.net/2022/09/coolio-dead/

Coolio Found Dead at Age 59The "Gangsters Paradise" rapper reportedly suffered cardiac arrest

RIP Coolio.

Damn, this one really hurts guys. We just lost DMX and now Coolio. :depressed

Spurminator
09-28-2022, 11:08 PM
Hitchin' up the buggy,
churnin' lots of butter
Raised a barn on Monday,
soon I'll raise a'nudder
Think you're really righteous?
Think you're pure in heart?
Well, I know I'm a million times as humble as thou art

Proxy
09-29-2022, 03:32 AM
https://i.groupme.com/622x314.jpeg.a126a555961046a4a4e17e73116a4448

baseline bum
09-29-2022, 05:56 AM

:rollin

leemajors
09-29-2022, 09:39 AM
I mean, Fantastic Voyage is more of an earworm than Gangstas Paradise

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 10:29 AM

WTF. :rollin

DAF86
09-29-2022, 10:34 AM
:rollin

WTF. :rollin

Obviously I have hundreds of songs I prefer over Gangsta's paradise, but what I mean is I don't think there are many (if any) more iconic hip hop songs than that one. What would you consider a more iconic Hip Hop song globally than Gangsta's paradise?

DAF86
09-29-2022, 10:39 AM

Nobody knows that song. My grand grand mother doesn't know shit about music, but she knows what Gangsta's paradise is.

Argentina isn't a Hip Hop country, yet you would still hear Gangsta's Paradise anywhere to this day. That doesn't happen with any other hip hop songs ever created.

MultiTroll
09-29-2022, 10:41 AM
Did and do any SpursTalk members have their hair styled like Coolio?

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 11:35 AM
Obviously I have hundreds of songs I prefer over Gangsta's paradise, but what I mean is I don't think there are many (if any) more iconic hip hop songs than that one. What would you consider a more iconic Hip Hop song globally than Gangsta's paradise?

Iconic or popular? I was tired of Gangsta's Paradise in about a month. If it comes on, I switch the station.

They'll be a lot of opinions on this one. But for me I'll go with California Love. But there's probably 100 that I'd put over GP. I can drop all the way down to Regulate and it's better than GP.

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 11:36 AM
Nobody knows that song. My grand grand mother doesn't know shit about music, but she knows what Gangsta's paradise is.

Argentina isn't a Hip Hop country, yet you would still hear Gangsta's Paradise anywhere to this day. That doesn't happen with any other hip hop songs ever created.

Maybe you should have qualified your first statement by adding, "in Argentina".

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 11:41 AM
Did and do any SpursTalk members have their hair styled like Coolio?

Your mom's vag looks a little like that. But it's just cuz it's so matted up.

DAF86
09-29-2022, 12:04 PM
Iconic or popular? I was tired of Gangsta's Paradise in about a month. If it comes on, I switch the station.

They'll be a lot of opinions on this one. But for me I'll go with California Love. But there's probably 100 that I'd put over GP. I can drop all the way down to Regulate and it's better than GP.

Both. California Love can compete, as well as Lose Yourself, maaaybe Still Dre (just because of the beat), but that's about it.

DAF86
09-29-2022, 12:05 PM
Maybe you should have qualified your first statement by adding, "in Argentina".

Nah, worldwide it's like that. Songs that are so huge that trascends genres and even in countries where Hip hop isn't as popular they are still monumental hits.

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 12:07 PM
Both. California Love can compete, as well as Lose Yourself, maaaybe Still Dre, but that's about it.

What about Hey Ya? If I think about a hip hop song that's both popular and genius, that' it. Like I said, even Regulate is better than GP.
And like LM said, Fantastic Voyage is an even better Coolio song.

Not that I don't like him. I do. But you're overrating GP by a long shot.

leemajors
09-29-2022, 12:07 PM

Yeah I can think of a dozen, but he has obviously not been exposed to as much hip hop as someone from the US. A lot of people know the original the beat is taken from by Lakeside. I will just go with Rappers Delight for now.

DAF86
09-29-2022, 12:11 PM
What about Hey Ya? If I think about a hip hop song that's both popular and genius, that' it. Like I said, even Regulate is better than GP.
And like LM said, Fantastic Voyage is an even better Coolio song.

Not that I don't like him. I do. But you're overrating GP by a long shot.

I don't feel like Hey yeah is as globally recognised as Gangsta's Paradise. GP is among the most well known songs in history, every generation alive knows that song from your great grandmother to your grandchildren. It is in the same level as songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and Thriller. There's not a person on Earth who doesn't know the song.

DAF86
09-29-2022, 12:16 PM
Yeah I can think of a dozen, but he has obviously not been exposed to as much hip hop as someone from the US. A lot of people know the original the beat is taken from by Lakeside. I will just go with Rappers Delight for now.

Hahaha I've been exposed to a lot of Hip Hop, but that's not the point. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. I'm talking about the song being so huge that even a person that doesn't know shit about hip hop, knows the song and enjoys it.

I'm not talking subjectivities here, just pure raw mass appeal and notoriety.

Spurminator
09-29-2022, 12:17 PM
I definitely owned the Gangsta's Paradise CD, the title track was good but I also liked "1, 2, 3, 4" at the time.

I think I sold it back to the used CD store within a year though.

DAF86
09-29-2022, 12:19 PM
Rock Bottom is one of my favourites hip hop songs ever, to me is way better than GP, but I'm not going to acts as it as huge as that song just becaude I like it more.

DAF86
09-29-2022, 12:21 PM
The problem is that in my original post I used the word "greatest" when I probably should have put "biggest", tbh.

MultiTroll
09-29-2022, 12:37 PM
Your mom's vag looks a little like that. But it's just cuz it's so matted up.
She mentioned your ass hairs were all matted up as she pegged you.

leemajors
09-29-2022, 12:38 PM
Hahaha I've been exposed to a lot of Hip Hop, but that's not the point. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. I'm talking about the song being so huge that even a person that doesn't know shit about hip hop, knows the song and enjoys it.

I'm not talking subjectivities here, just pure raw mass appeal and notoriety.

No, you’re being purely subjective. The song was all over the place and in a movie trailer when you were probably in elementary school.

baseline bum
09-29-2022, 12:39 PM

Ain't Nuthin But A G-Thang by Dre
My Mind is Playing Tricks On Me by Geto Boys
One Day by UGK
It Was a Good Day by Ice Cube
Gin & Juice by Snoop Dogg

ChumpDumper
09-29-2022, 12:47 PM
I like both GP and FV but they pretty much tagged a rap onto already great songs. Nothing wrong with that; just seems way more dependent on the source material than more sample-based stuff.

Coolio did a good job of staying in the public consciousness over the years. RIP.

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 01:28 PM
I don't feel like Hey yeah is as globally recognised as Gangsta's Paradise. GP is among the most well known songs in history, every generation alive knows that song from your great grandmother to your grandchildren. It is in the same level as songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and Thriller. There's not a person on Earth who doesn't know the song.

I guarantee you there is. My kid (22 years old) knows Bohemian Rhapsody and Thriller (and that's a weird choice btw). But I doubt Gantsta's Paradise registers with her. I will check though.

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 01:29 PM
She mentioned your ass hairs were all matted up as she pegged you.

They're not matted, they're layered. She knows this. She's just being a vengeful bitch.

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 01:32 PM

For sure. You could also throw The Message in there.

koriwhat
09-29-2022, 01:40 PM
RIP

DAF86
09-29-2022, 02:32 PM
Ain't Nuthin But A G-Thang by Dre
My Mind is Playing Tricks On Me by Geto Boys
One Day by UGK
It Was a Good Day by Ice Cube
Gin & Juice by Snoop Dogg

Nah, there's no chance those songs are even half as known as GP globally. :lol

DAF86
09-29-2022, 02:46 PM
I guarantee you there is. My kid (22 years old) knows Bohemian Rhapsody and Thriller (and that's a weird choice btw). But I doubt Gantsta's Paradise registers with her. I will check though.

Ask your daughter if you want but, according to this sutdy, it is the most recognised rap tune of the 90's (the so called golden era of hip hop) by the newer generations.

https://pudding.cool/2020/07/song-decay/

SpursforSix
09-29-2022, 03:46 PM
Ask your daughter if you want but, according to this sutdy, it is the most recognised rap tune of the 90's (the so called golden era of hip hop) by the newer generations.

https://pudding.cool/2020/07/song-decay/

That's an interesting study. I'd like to know more about the methodology of how they pick the songs to play on the quiz and if it's equally distributed among the possible songs.

Monostradamus
09-29-2022, 08:00 PM
Well if pudding.cool says it, it must be fact.

But if we’re playing this “biggest globally” game, In Da Club is the right answer.

DAF86
09-29-2022, 08:35 PM
Well if pudding.cool says it, it must be fact.

But if we’re playing this “biggest globally” game, In Da Club is the right answer.

Nah, older generations have no idea what that is, tbh.

Monostradamus
09-29-2022, 09:07 PM
Nah, older generations have no idea what that is, tbh.
Oh word? And yet the younger generations know all about Coolio? :lmao

baseline bum
09-29-2022, 09:32 PM
Nah, there's no chance those songs are even half as known as GP globally. :lol

LOL Gangsters Paradise being as iconic as G Thang

benefactor
09-29-2022, 09:45 PM
:tu

benefactor
09-29-2022, 10:10 PM
G Thang is the most culturally influential song in the history of rap. Comparing it to Gangstas Paradise is like comparing Smells Like Teen Spirit to Tomorrow by Silverchair

DAF86
09-30-2022, 08:00 AM
Oh word? And yet the younger generations know all about Coolio? :lmao

I just posted a study that showed that 90% of the younger generarions know GP. :lol

DAF86
09-30-2022, 08:02 AM

If I play G Thang on a gathering in my country, about 10% of the people will know that song. If I play GP, everybody knows that song. Yall don't have much of an idea about which Hip Hop songs are popular outside the US, tbh.

Monostradamus
09-30-2022, 08:44 AM
I just posted a study that showed that 90% of the younger generarions know GP. :lol
pudding.cool :lmao

Monostradamus
09-30-2022, 08:45 AM
If I play G Thang on a gathering in my country, about 10% of the people will know that song. If I play GP, everybody knows that song. Yall don't have much of an idea about which Hip Hop songs are popular outside the US, tbh.
If yall are listening to Coolio at a party, you are at the the wrong party :lmao

DAF86
09-30-2022, 10:18 AM
If yall are listening to Coolio at a party, you are at the the wrong party :lmao

As if you knew anything about parties. :lol

SpursforSix
09-30-2022, 10:39 AM

LOL. I'm not sure you're making a positive point about Argentina.

At least you have Manu which goes a long way here.

DAF86
09-30-2022, 11:14 AM
LOL. I'm not sure you're making a positive point about Argentina.

At least you have Manu which goes a long way here.

It's not just Argentina, brother. Pretty much everywhere in the World, except the US.

SpursforSix
09-30-2022, 11:46 AM
It's not just Argentina, brother. Pretty much everywhere in the World, except the US.

So everywhere except the country that pioneered hip hop?

That's like me saying "Livin La Vida Loca" is the most iconic Hispanic song.
When in reality, it's Shakira's, "Hips Don't Lie".

Monostradamus
09-30-2022, 01:08 PM
Well if anyone here would have intimate knowledge of what teenage girls are into, it’s you.

Monostradamus
09-30-2022, 01:10 PM
Imagine the stupidity it must take to willingly die on the hill of Gangsta’s Paradise :lmao

SpursforSix
09-30-2022, 01:22 PM
Imagine the stupidity it must take to willingly die on the hill of Gangsta’s Paradise :lmao

It's weird to be sure. It's a great troll if that was the case but it's clearly not.

SpursforSix
09-30-2022, 01:23 PM
Also, where's Ice Ice Baby on this scale? That seems pretty iconic.

leemajors
09-30-2022, 01:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBsjggc5jHM

spurraider21
09-30-2022, 01:52 PM

which one of you was it that hated being around other people at movie theaters?

spurraider21
09-30-2022, 01:53 PM
Hitchin' up the buggy,
churnin' lots of butter
Raised a barn on Monday,
soon I'll raise a'nudder
plus the awesome scene that was filmed in reverse with the chicken chasing the horse, etc

DAF86
09-30-2022, 02:27 PM
So everywhere except the country that pioneered hip hop?

That's like me saying "Livin La Vida Loca" is the most iconic Hispanic song.
When in reality, it's Shakira's, "Hips Don't Lie".

Exactly.

Actually, the most iconic Hispanic song must be Despacito, and not because it is listened or respected in the country that it was originated, tbh.

Livin la vida loca and Hips don't lie aren't even Hispanic songs, they are sang in English. :lol

DAF86
09-30-2022, 02:29 PM
Well if anyone here would have intimate knowledge of what teenage girls are into, it’s you.

So take my word for it, tbh.

DAF86
09-30-2022, 02:29 PM

For real, so why are you guys doing it then? :lol

DAF86
09-30-2022, 02:30 PM
which one of you was it that hated being around other people at movie theaters?

I don't know, but I'm not a big fan of cinemas, tbh.

DAF86
09-30-2022, 02:31 PM

Probably pretty high up there, tbh. Not even close to GP, though.

You seem to be having a pretty hard time grasping the difference between the concepts of quality and popularity, tbh.

baseline bum
09-30-2022, 03:13 PM

LOL it's not even that good a song to most hip hop fans. "That's why I know my life is out of luck fool" is some cringey ass shit to end on. First verse is strong as hell but rest of the song is kind of wack IMO.

DAF86
09-30-2022, 03:22 PM
LOL it's not even that good a song to most hip hop fans. "That's why I know my life is out of luck fool" is some cringey ass shit to end on. First verse is strong as hell but rest of the song is kind of wack IMO.

Neither is Despacito for most Hispanics, yet there isn't a biggest spanish speaking song in the World, tbh.

Monostradamus
09-30-2022, 03:42 PM
Baby Got Back is up there too. Just ridiculous to think GP is the most popular rap song ever :lol

DAF86
09-30-2022, 04:06 PM
GP is to rap songs what Eminem is to rappers. Most folks hate to admit it, but nobody has done more for the globalization of hip hop, tbh.

leemajors
09-30-2022, 04:25 PM
Making up facts is fun!

SpursforSix
09-30-2022, 04:33 PM
Exactly.

Actually, the most iconic Hispanic song must be Despacito, and not because it is listened or respected in the country that it was originated, tbh.

Livin la vida loca and Hips don't lie aren't even Hispanic songs, they are sang in English. :lol

You're a fucking retard. There are Spanish versions of both.
I think I get it. You made a shitty OP and now you're trying to back out by pretending the whole thing was a troll job.

leemajors
09-30-2022, 04:34 PM
I am not slighting Eminems appeal or fame, but Debbie Harry had more to do with globalizing hip hop by doing Rapture with Grand Master Flash

SpursforSix
09-30-2022, 04:35 PM
Baby Got Back is up there too. Just ridiculous to think GP is the most popular rap song ever :lol

Don't forget, "Can't Touch This".

SpursforSix
09-30-2022, 04:37 PM
I am not slighting Eminems appeal or fame, but Debbie Harry had more to do with globalizing hip hop by doing Rapture with Grand Master Flash

I love me some Blondie. But is she maybe one of the most awkward singers ever? DH that is.

leemajors
09-30-2022, 04:41 PM
Don't forget, "Can't Touch This".

I had the tape :lol

baseline bum
09-30-2022, 04:47 PM
GP is to rap songs what Eminem is to rappers. Most folks hate to admit it, but nobody has done more for the globalization of hip hop, tbh.

Eminem is a much better rapper than Coolio ever was.

spurraider21
09-30-2022, 04:47 PM
Making up facts is fun!
and then repeating them over and over too!

SpursforSix
09-30-2022, 04:51 PM
I had the tape :lol

Dude...if someone saw my cassette collection today, I'd have to kill them.

Spurminator
09-30-2022, 05:14 PM
Coolio was just (post DJJJ) Will Smith with cussing, IMHO. Some clever rhymes, more cringy ones, all over hooks that are basically lifted entirely from the source track.

spurraider21
09-30-2022, 06:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0S4SiLxt1s

DAF86
09-30-2022, 06:44 PM
You're a fucking retard. There are Spanish versions of both.
I think I get it. You made a shitty OP and now you're trying to back out by pretending the whole thing was a troll job.

But those aren't the Iconic versions, not even here, in Spanish speaking countries. :lol

Why would I be trolling by stating straight facts? More like you are getting angry for being proved wrong over and over again, tbh. :lol

DAF86
09-30-2022, 06:47 PM
Making up facts is fun!

The only person to have provided any kind of numbers here is me, tbh. Do you really want me to start posting the numbers that make Eminem the biggest hip hop artist ever worldwide? :lol

DAF86
09-30-2022, 06:48 PM
Eminem is a much better rapper than Coolio ever was.

Sure, but nobody is discussing rapping ability here, tbh.

leemajors
09-30-2022, 06:57 PM
Sure, but nobody is discussing rapping ability here, tbh.

Not surprisingly, that has nothing to do with any point you’ve tried to make.

DAF86
10-01-2022, 12:39 AM
Not surprisingly, that has nothing to do with any point you’ve tried to make.

Well, no. I think I've made that pretty clear, tbh. :lol

Millennial_Messiah
10-02-2022, 11:12 AM
Hitchin' up the buggy,
churnin' lots of butter
Raised a barn on Monday,
soon I'll raise a'nudder

I found that funny in 2008 when I was 14

DMX7
10-02-2022, 03:10 PM
Michelle Pfeiffer seemed so out of place in the music video for Gangsta's Paradise. Nevertheless it is an iconic piece of American culture.