PDA

View Full Version : Draft projects to watch besides Wembanyama & Henderson

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

pookenstein
10-05-2022, 03:37 PM
I know it's way too early and along with the vast majority of Spurs fans I hope we'll land one of the first two picks so we get our hands on Victor or Scoot, but how good will the next draft be in general? How good is the talent level beside these two?
Admittedly I have next to none knowledge about college ball and I don't know who to keep an eye on. So for all the guys here who follow the NCAA closely, who are guys worth taking if the lottery balls don't fall our way?

Thanks for sharing some insight. :bobo

pookenstein
10-05-2022, 03:38 PM
Shit, for a second I forgot this is Spurstalk. So with that in mind: fuck y'all if you don't answer!

Thomas82
10-05-2022, 03:41 PM
I'll be paying attention to Kal'el Ware.

rjv
10-05-2022, 04:00 PM
I'd have Nick Smith as the best college player and likely the 3rd pick although Amen Thompson from G League Elite could jump ahead of him. Amen is possibly even a better athlete than Scoot but he has to be more consistent with his shot; he's an excellent playmaker though. Cam Whitmore from Villanova probably rounds out the top 5. He's a very solid 6'7" wing with excellent all-around skills. Duke has a 6'7" guard that bears watching as well.

Vince Carter's ankle
10-05-2022, 04:04 PM
I know it's way too early and along with the vast majority of Spurs fans I hope we'll land one of the first two picks so we get our hands on Victor or Scoot, but how good will the next draft be in general? How good is the talent level beside these two?
Admittedly I have next to none knowledge about college ball and I don't know who to keep an eye on. So for all the guys here who follow the NCAA closely, who are guys worth taking if the lottery balls don't fall our way?

Season will begin on November 7.
And this is not the best place to ask about predictions and estimates of players' potential.

Leetonidas
10-05-2022, 04:14 PM
Aren't there a pair of twins that are supposed to be pretty good too?

mo7888
10-05-2022, 05:05 PM

I'd say the top 6 are all better than the consensus top 3 this year... but the top 2 are head and shoulders above the rest.

Seventyniner
10-05-2022, 05:55 PM
Even with the worst record in the league, the Spurs would still be almost three times as likely to pick outside the top 2 as inside it. It's definitely not a good idea to get hung up on getting a top 2 pick, no matter how good they are.

lefty20
10-05-2022, 06:08 PM
Even with the worst record in the league, the Spurs would still be almost three times as likely to pick outside the top 2 as inside it. It's definitely not a good idea to get hung up on getting a top 2 pick, no matter how good they are.

Because hope is an opiate

Just let us indulge m8, it pretty much all that's gonna keep us going this season.

spurraider21
10-05-2022, 06:09 PM
i think even discussing this is bad juju

exstatic
10-05-2022, 06:12 PM

He’s from Krypton University, and supposedly can really fly.

exstatic
10-05-2022, 06:14 PM
I'd have Nick Smith as the best college player and likely the 3rd pick although Amen Thompson from G League Elite could jump ahead of him. Amen is possibly even a better athlete than Scoot but he has to be more consistent with his shot; he's an excellent playmaker though. Cam Whitmore from Villanova probably rounds out the top 5. He's a very solid 6'7" wing with excellent all-around skills. Duke has a 6'7" guard that bears watching as well.

You’re confusing gleague Ignite with Overtime Elite, which is pure trash. They play absolutely no one.

duncan2150
10-05-2022, 06:47 PM
He's injured now but i really like Dariq Whitehead.

AFBlue
10-05-2022, 07:39 PM
Keyonte George is an absolute bucket. If the Spurs lack a go-to scorer with good size, they could do worse than Key.

D-Robinson 50 fan
10-05-2022, 08:07 PM
Thompson brothers, GG Jackson, Keyonte George, Whitehead…. It’s a bunch of good to really good prospects in this draft. We need to get another mid pick 1st if possible

Vince Carter's ankle
10-06-2022, 02:20 AM
Before the start of last season, Caleb Houston and Jaden Hardy were listed as lottery picks in the mocks. And where did they end up on draft night?
Most would not have been able to predict the progress of Jaden Ivey and Keegan Murray, just as they overlooked Ja Morant before the start of the 18/19 season.
School highlights and early mocks are garbage.
And why interview local basketball experts? Many people here have been watching basketball for decades and still manage to overreact, draw some long-term conclusions and give advice during games.

rjv
10-06-2022, 10:14 AM
You’re confusing gleague Ignite with Overtime Elite, which is pure trash. They play absolutely no one.

the post wasn't about the g league. it was a response to what other "projects" bear watching outside of the top two picks. thompson, who does play for Elite, is one of those players. nothing else to read into here. i'm not saying one way or the other what i personally think of amen or his twin brother.

RC_Drunkford
10-06-2022, 10:38 AM
We need to draft this guy. He'd fit right in with them big ol women

https://www.vladtv.com/images/size_fs/video-287641.jpg?ver=1664991847

R. DeMurre
10-06-2022, 10:53 AM
Tankathon is a good reference to watch as the season progresses.

https://www.tankathon.com/big_board

heyheymymy
10-06-2022, 11:05 AM
Way too early but Ive got a few I will be watching for sure:

Nick Smith Jr
Keyonte George
Rayan Rupert
Anthony Black

Also like:

JJ Starling
Marcus Sasser
Amari Bailey

heyheymymy
10-06-2022, 11:11 AM
Scoot can't shoot from range how is this not a deterrent in todays NBA?

heyheymymy
10-06-2022, 11:13 AM
Also great point earlier about Houstan and Jaden Ivey. Both top 5-10 in prelim mocks and fell hard in reality. Wonder who the 23 risers and fallers will end up being?

AFBlue
10-06-2022, 08:27 PM
Way too early but Ive got a few I will be watching for sure:

Nick Smith Jr
Keyonte George
Rayan Rupert
Anthony Black

Also like:

JJ Starling
Marcus Sasser
Amari Bailey

George may lead Baylor in scoring, and they're going to make a deep tourney run. I think he'll be a riser.

KingKev
10-06-2022, 08:52 PM
Any projected 2nd rounder culture type guys we can take @ 7-12th?

BatManu20
10-06-2022, 09:37 PM
Nick Smith is gonna be a good player imo.

BatManu20
10-06-2022, 09:38 PM
Scoot can't shoot from range how is this not a deterrent in todays NBA?

He’s 18. He’ll improve.

paperboy77
10-06-2022, 10:18 PM
So freaking glad for this thread. I suspect we'll get fucked in the draft.

paperboy77
10-06-2022, 10:35 PM

What's with these freaking crazy names? I guess I no one has an issue with a kid named North then anything is ok. Crazy times.

Just went to my kids play and on the program there was a kid named Wolfgang Lopez... wtf?

Vince Carter's ankle
10-07-2022, 01:09 AM
What's with these freaking crazy names? I guess I no one has an issue with a kid named North then anything is ok. Crazy times.

Just went to my kids play and on the program there was a kid named Wolfgang Lopez... wtf?
His parents read a lot of Superman comics

BackHome
10-07-2022, 09:56 AM
He is definitely a top 10 draft prospect

ace3g
10-28-2022, 09:20 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1585993379451523072

offset formation
10-28-2022, 11:19 PM

Isn't this Superman's name??

BackHome
10-29-2022, 03:50 PM
ACE - I really like Amen Thompson he is just a freak of nature so athletic and a PG with those moves at 6'7 is crazy - The only thing he needs to show is that he can hit the 3 ball - but I think if he plays to his potential he will fall no latter then the 5th pick.

Some other players that I really like in this draft are:
Jordan Walsh - 6'7 G - Kid is also super athletic and all ready shows he can easily score inside and outside he has the complete game.

Nick Smith - 6'4 PG/SG - It will be interesting if he plays at PG or SG his first season if he plays PG and still looks good I would take him

Came Whitmore - 6'6 G - Kinda like Walsh can score on all level and a very good defender

Dillon Mitchell - 6'7 - Kinda reminds me a taller slightly better Blake he definitely has the athleticism just needs to put it all together

Brandon Miller - 6'9 SF - I really want some more length and the kid is tall and built he plays great defense and his outside shot not bad

Carson Wallace - 6'4 PG - I like the kid he is built like a truck and is tough as one definitely plays great defense and can score inside and out

Gregory Jackson - 6'9 SF/PF - The kid might be starting on his team at on 17 years old he definitely has a ton of upsize might take a little longer but probably worth the wait

Dereck Lively - 7'1 with a 7'7 wingspan - A great rim runner, very athletic, good hands, good defender, not much of a shot creator or outside shooting as of yet

Kel'el Ware - 7'0 - Similar to Lively may have a better offensive game in the long run

scott
11-05-2022, 01:42 PM
ACE - I really like Amen Thompson he is just a freak of nature so athletic and a PG with those moves at 6'7 is crazy - The only thing he needs to show is that he can hit the 3 ball - but I think if he plays to his potential he will fall no latter then the 5th pick.

Jordan Walsh - 6'7 G - Kid is also super athletic and all ready shows he can easily score inside and outside he has the complete game.

Nick Smith - 6'4 PG/SG - It will be interesting if he plays at PG or SG his first season if he plays PG and still looks good I would take him

Came Whitmore - 6'6 G - Kinda like Walsh can score on all level and a very good defender

Dillon Mitchell - 6'7 - Kinda reminds me a taller slightly better Blake he definitely has the athleticism just needs to put it all together

Brandon Miller - 6'9 SF - I really want some more length and the kid is tall and built he plays great defense and his outside shot not bad

Carson Wallace - 6'4 PG - I like the kid he is built like a truck and is tough as one definitely plays great defense and can score inside and out

Gregory Jackson - 6'9 SF/PF - The kid might be starting on his team at on 17 years old he definitely has a ton of upsize might take a little longer but probably worth the wait

Dereck Lively - 7'1 with a 7'7 wingspan - A great rim runner, very athletic, good hands, good defender, not much of a shot creator or outside shooting as of yet

Kel'el Ware - 7'0 - Similar to Lively may have a better offensive game in the long run

In the context of a discussion in the Jak thread… do we feel like Lively and Ware are good enough C prospects to feel comfortable with moving Jak during the season?

Obviously if you land Wemby, Jak becomes expendable, but it seems like the rest of the top prospects are G/W in which case you might be really keen on a nice Jak extension this offseason.
BackHome - you gave a great write-up here… assuming the Spurs aren’t picking 1 or 2, which prospects do you feel fit in best with the Spurs current core?

Vince Carter's ankle
11-05-2022, 01:58 PM
In the context of a discussion in the Jak thread… do we feel like Lively and Ware are good enough C prospects to feel comfortable with moving Jak during the season?

Obviously if you land Wemby, Jak becomes expendable, but it seems like the rest of the top prospects are G/W in which case you might be really keen on a nice Jak extension this offseason.
BackHome (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16032) - you gave a great write-up here… assuming the Spurs aren’t picking 1 or 2, which prospects do you feel fit in best with the Spurs current core?
They didn't even play a single game in the NCAA. What is the point of discussing them now?

BackHome
11-06-2022, 02:47 AM
Umm because the thread is about discussing Draft Prospects so if your not interested in discussing players then just don’t click on the thread. And as far as not playing in the NCAA well that might be a point if we drafting mid to late but we going to be in the top 10 and so far the best 2 players that will be drafted will never play in the NCAA.

Vince Carter's ankle
11-06-2022, 04:00 AM
Umm because the thread is about discussing Draft Prospects so if your not interested in discussing players then just don’t click on the thread. And as far as not playing in the NCAA well that might be a point if we drafting mid to late but we going to be in the top 10 and so far the best 2 players that will be drafted will never play in the NCAA.
Lively and Ware are "the best 2 players that will be drafted" and won't play in the NCAA?

BackHome
11-06-2022, 08:37 AM
Umm No the two best players in this draft are Wem. and Henderson and Amen Thompson might just be the 3rd pick in the draft and all 3 will not be playing in the NCAA

Vince Carter's ankle
11-06-2022, 09:12 AM
Umm No the two best players in this draft are Wem. and Henderson and Amen Thompson might just be the 3rd pick in the draft and all 3 will not be playing in the NCAA
So why did you post your shit when it was about Lively and Ware?

BackHome
11-06-2022, 10:59 AM
Again read the title of this Thread “Draft Projects to Watch” which words are you having difficulty understanding?

BacktoBasics
11-06-2022, 02:15 PM

BackHome - you gave a great write-up here… assuming the Spurs aren’t picking 1 or 2, which prospects do you feel fit in best with the Spurs current core?
Seems to me that if we land Wemby keeping Jak would be huge. They can easily play alongside each other.

RC_Drunkford
11-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Seems to me that if we land Wemby keeping Jak would be huge. They can easily play alongside each other.

that part. I said the same thing. Yak would just get all the boards down low while Wemby is launching from the 3-point line

offset formation
11-06-2022, 03:52 PM

Much appreciated BH. A springboard to some other players' games which as of now, I've completely ignorant about.

TD 21
11-06-2022, 04:05 PM
Based on current projections, anything lower than 4 would be a disaster, which is another reason why finishing last is important.

Smith and (Amen) Thompson, though probably a combo guard and point forward more so than genuine lead creators, at least have the potential to fill the biggest positional need.

mo7888
11-06-2022, 05:56 PM
Based on current projections, anything lower than 4 would be a disaster, which is another reason why finishing last is important.

Smith and (Amen) Thompson, though probably a combo guard and point forward more so than genuine lead creators, at least have the potential to fill the biggest positional need.

Yep...the second tier consist of those two right now (I like Smith slightly better)... hopefully a few more guys show they belong in that tier between now and the draft..

playblair
11-06-2022, 07:28 PM
keyonte george or gtfo

rjv
11-07-2022, 03:42 PM
i wouldn't be completely shocked if amen thompson passed up scoot in the mocks. regardless, i think he'll solidify himself as the # 3 pick.

BackHome
11-07-2022, 04:24 PM
Yeah I think there is different tiers;

All Star/Generational talent:
1. Wemb

All Star:
1. Scoot Henderson
2. Amen Thompson

Potential All Star:
1. Nick Smith
2. Cam Whitmore
3. Brandon Miller
4. Dariq Whitehead - If he recovers from foot injury
5. GG Jackson
6. Jordan Walsh

I think this draft is super talented staying in the top 8 will give you access to top tier talent and yeah obviously staying in the top 3 is what we are all hoping for.

RJV - man if Amen can show he can shoot the long ball an improve his shooting mechanics then yeah it would be a tough choice between him and Scoot.

BackHome
11-07-2022, 04:44 PM

BackHome (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16032) - you gave a great write-up here… assuming the Spurs aren’t picking 1 or 2, which prospects do you feel fit in best with the Spurs current core?

I like both Lively and Kel,el, I think both have the opportunity to go 10 to 18 range as with all these guys we are talking about the more that they can show they can shoot the 3 ball the higher they will definitely be drafted. If I had to make the decision I would probably go with Kel,el because I think he is better shooter and will help the spacing - If Sochan was deadly from the 3 Range would take Lively. But both these guys will have the same problem Poetl has with big aggressive center well to be honest they are both skinny so it would probably be worse.

rjv
11-07-2022, 05:26 PM

1. Wemb

All Star:
1. Scoot Henderson
2. Amen Thompson

Potential All Star:
1. Nick Smith
2. Cam Whitmore
3. Brandon Miller
5. GG Jackson
6. Jordan Walsh

I think this draft is super talented staying in the top 8 will give you access to top tier talent and yeah obviously staying in the top 3 is what we are all hoping for.

RJV - man if Amen can show he can shoot the long ball an improve his shooting mechanics then yeah it would be a tough choice between him and Scoot.

his mechanics showed some improvement at his pro day so he definitely bears watching. he's likely the best athlete in the class with great playmaking skills. at 6'7", he could be something special.

mo7888
11-07-2022, 06:55 PM

1. Wemb

All Star:
1. Scoot Henderson
2. Amen Thompson

Potential All Star:
1. Nick Smith
2. Cam Whitmore
3. Brandon Miller
5. GG Jackson
6. Jordan Walsh

Obviously it's early but, I'd have Smith in the Allstar category with Thompson.

BackHome
11-07-2022, 10:37 PM
I can easily see that my only question is what will be his true position a PG, SG, or a combo guard?

BackHome
11-07-2022, 11:53 PM

You know after looking at this draft I think if we can land at least a top 7 we will improve dramatically - Guys whose play style I think would mesh with our team outside of the top two picks would be;

1. Amen Thompson - A 6’7 PG who is probably in the top 5 as most athletic player in a very deep draft would be very nice and it is definitely a position of need since Primo. Only thing I will be watching is his outside shooting but I think he is a player that can mesh as I don’t think he has to be ball dominant but he can handle the rock when needed and this team would be deadly running the floor with him, Vassell, Keldon, and Sochan, that definitely a fun team to watch

2. Cam Whitmore - A Very athletic 6’8 SF the dude is just to good to pass up and is a man child right now love the way he plays and man oh man he has some nasty dunks. He can score at every level and he plays very good defense kid is going to be a stud

3. Brandon Miller - A 6’9 SF he is the opposite of Sochan as he is all offense but if he can show he can D up then definitely take him. I think him and Sochan can play off each other inside and out when we go small

4. GG Jackson - The kid is only 17 but all ready has a NBA body if he gets any taller then 6’9 then he will definitely go early. He has inside and shows outside game and has decent handles and a good passer. I definitely can see him and Sochan playing well with each other would see a lot of back door dunks

One thing is that I am kinda torn with trading Poodle as of right know if no trades and everyone stays healthy I see us drafting in the 6 to 12 range. If we’re tanking we HAVE to land in the top 4 only way to get that is trades or injuries at this point though if possible I would like to trade Richardson and McBuckets who I think should get a decent first and maybe a late first or early second. If that were to happen then I think we would probably land in the 4 to 7 range. Hell even if we trade those two and Poodle we still would do no better then 3 as Houston is in no way worried about Silver and they are All In on the tank and then you got the Flakers who just suck so hope Lady Luck is with us and Karma bites those two shitty organizations when the dice are rolled

mo7888
11-08-2022, 08:28 AM
I can easily see that my only question is what will be his true position a PG, SG, or a combo guard?

I think right now he's a combo guard but, he has the vision and handle that can develop into a PG. I'd be thrilled with he or Amen if we draft 3 or 4.

mo7888
11-08-2022, 08:35 AM
You know after looking at this draft I think if we can land at least a top 7 we will improve dramatically - Guys whose play style I think would mesh with our team outside of the top two picks would be;

1. Amen Thompson - A 6’7 PG who is probably in the top 5 as most athletic player in a very deep draft would be very nice and it is definitely a position of need since Primo. Only thing I will be watching is his outside shooting but I think he is a player that can mesh as I don’t think he has to be ball dominant but he can handle the rock when needed and this team would be deadly running the floor with him, Vassell, Keldon, and Sochan, that definitely a fun team to watch

2. Cam Whitmore - A Very athletic 6’8 SF the dude is just to good to pass up and is a man child right now love the way he plays and man oh man he has some nasty dunks. He can score at every level and he plays very good defense kid is going to be a stud

3. Brandon Miller - A 6’9 SF he is the opposite of Sochan as he is all offense but if he can show he can D up then definitely take him. I think him and Sochan can play off each other inside and out when we go small

4. GG Jackson - The kid is only 17 but all ready has a NBA body if he gets any taller then 6’9 then he will definitely go early. He has inside and shows outside game and has decent handles and a good passer. I definitely can see him and Sochan playing well with each other would see a lot of back door dunks

One thing is that I am kinda torn with trading Poodle as of right know if no trades and everyone stays healthy I see us drafting in the 6 to 12 range. If we’re tanking we HAVE to land in the top 4 only way to get that is trades or injuries at this point though if possible I would like to trade Richardson and McBuckets who I think should get a decent first and maybe a late first or early second. If that were to happen then I think we would probably land in the 4 to 7 range. Hell even if we trade those two and Poodle we still would do no better then 3 as Houston is in no way worried about Silver and they are All In on the tank and then you got the Flakers who just suck so hope Lady Luck is with us and Karma bites those two shitty organizations when the dice are rolled

I really like Jak but, I'd trade him. He raises our floor, he has value, and he's going to be overpaid next year imo. Move him soon and get more future assets. Our future is Devin at the 2, KJ at the 3, maybe Sochan at the 4, so that leaves the 1 and 5 for us to find our Alpha. We will have to do that through the draft or through a trade. Scoot, Amen or Smith could be that guy at the 1. I don't really see that guy at the 5 in the draft right now but we could probably replace Jak with the Charolotte pick (if they get it together when Ball comes back and make the playoffs).

Mnky
11-08-2022, 09:33 AM
This year's top 3 can change a franchise. Top 5 is nothing to sniff at.

I think people are really sleeping on scoot and how good hes going to be. His athleticism is drose type where he just explodes in a way others can't respond too. He has shown signs of good shooting nights. He will continue to Develop.

Amen is a PG. That's what he is. 6'7 athletic monster at PG. Can be a Streaky shooter but that ft percentage is always a concern. Wenby is obviously generational but comes with as much risk, if not more than any other prospect with his build. I'd take him, no Brainer over anyone else but would not feel let down at all with scoot tbh.

duncan2150
11-08-2022, 05:27 PM
If Withead is healthy soon, people will be surprised.

The third talent in this draft imo.

BackHome
11-08-2022, 06:05 PM
Yeah Whitehead is another athletic freak who loves to sky over people and is one of the nastiest dunkers I have seen in awhile. Only reason I have not mentioned him is because of his injury “Fractured Foot” in which he has surgery on August 30th - For me personally I just don’t want to take a chance on a player with that type of injury if we picking let’s say in the top 6

Russ
11-08-2022, 06:48 PM
GG Jackson (South Carolina) is a guy I'm going to be watching.

First game is tonight on the SEC Network.

BackHome
11-08-2022, 09:54 PM
Oh Yeah :hungry:

scott
11-08-2022, 11:03 PM

Appreciate this - it provides a great guide of who to be watching out for!

RC_Drunkford
11-09-2022, 01:40 AM
GG Jackson (South Carolina) is a guy I'm going to be watching.

First game is tonight on the SEC Network.

I been interested in him. Could become a Giannis type with a 3-point shot

Dejounte
11-09-2022, 03:51 AM
While Amen Thompson is an interesting prospect, I have a hard time seeing any team draft an Overtime Elite player in the lotto, much less the top 5 pick. I believe no player was drafted from that league in the first or second round last year. Just seems like a stretch that all of a sudden teams start to trust that league.

Vince Carter's ankle
11-09-2022, 06:12 AM
While Amen Thompson is an interesting prospect, I have a hard time seeing any team draft an Overtime Elite player in the lotto, much less the top 5 pick. I believe no player was drafted from that league in the first or second round last year. Just seems like a stretch that all of a sudden teams start to trust that league.
Their two best prospects last year were Jean Montero and Dominick Barlow. If a Banchero or same level talent played for them, he would still be a top-5 pick.

Dejounte
11-09-2022, 06:36 AM
Their two best prospects last year were Jean Montero and Dominick Barlow. If a Banchero or same level talent played for them, he would still be a top-5 pick.

False. What Banchero did in the NCAA was impressive because of the competition and all the limelight Duke players get. The narrative would be that he’s playing playground ball in OE if he played there. How much do you want to bet Amen drops his draft stock as the draft gets closer (and not because his level of play drops) because high performers in the NCAA will overshadow him?

Vince Carter's ankle
11-09-2022, 07:20 AM
False. What Banchero did in the NCAA was impressive because of the competition and all the limelight Duke players get. The narrative would be that he’s playing playground ball in OE if he played there. How much do you want to bet Amen drops his draft stock as the draft gets closer (and not because his level of play drops) because high performers in the NCAA will overshadow him?
What was the deciding factor for Wiseman and Sharp to get into the top 10? Their "outstanding" performances in the NCAA or hype + athleticism + potential + pre-draft workouts + interview?
You can also look at Patrick Williams and Scottie Barnes who weren't "high performers" in college and made the top 4 anyway.
Please stop posting smart looking predictions here in November, you won't be able to guess the mindset of the GMs before the draft anyway.

Dejounte
11-09-2022, 07:33 AM
What was the deciding factor for Wiseman and Sharp to get into the top 10? Their "outstanding" performances in the NCAA or hype + athleticism + potential + pre-draft workouts + interview?
You can also look at Patrick Williams and Scottie Barnes who weren't "high performers" in college and made the top 4 anyway.
Please stop posting smart looking predictions here in November, you won't be able to guess the mindset of the GMs before the draft anyway.

So let me get this straight— somehow your prediction of Amen staying in the top 10 isn’t guessing the mindset of the GMs but mine is. Your prediction is as good as mine. How about you stop posting since you can’t stop contradicting yourself?

Vince Carter's ankle
11-09-2022, 07:45 AM
So let me get this straight— somehow your prediction of Amen staying in the top 10 isn’t guessing the mindset of the GMs but mine is. Your prediction is as good as mine. How about you stop posting since you can’t stop contradicting yourself?
Where did I post "Amen staying in the top 10"?
My point is that lack of NCAA experience is not the deciding factor.

rjv
11-09-2022, 11:03 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/college-stock-watch-south-carolinas-gg-jackson-dazzles-in-debut#gid=ci02afdfb1400025f0&pid=usatsi_19388393

BackHome
11-09-2022, 03:28 PM
Nice find RJV - Not bad for a 17 year old not bad at all. :toast

exstatic
11-09-2022, 04:25 PM

OTE is trash, and they play no one. The level of comp is probably AAU, minus most of the elite talent.

duncan2150
11-09-2022, 06:19 PM
OTE is trash, and they play no one. The level of comp is probably AAU, minus most of the elite talent.

That's my biggest concern for the Thompson's , OTE is a very very low level league.

Dejounte
11-09-2022, 06:45 PM

That's my biggest concern for the Thompson's , OTE is a very very low level league.

dOesNt MaTteR. toO MuCH TaLeNt LoLz

BackHome
11-10-2022, 10:08 AM
I know it’s only one game but glad to see some of my players I like playing good;

GG Jackson looked really good being only 17 years old - 18pts with 10 rebounds

Brandon Miller also looked like he would be a very nice piece on this team - 14pts to go with 13 rebounds

Cason Wallace my third PG with a nice line of 15pts to with 9 assist and 8 rebounds not to bad

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-10-2022, 11:07 AM
With so many of the top prospects having suspect Js I’d expect someone like Terquavion Smith to shoot up the boards. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s taken somewhere mid lottery.

BackHome
11-10-2022, 12:31 PM
If you want that instant spark on offense that are legit shooters;

Terquavion Smith - 6’3 PG/SG - Super fast and very good shooter

Gradey Dick - 6’7 SF - Might be the best 3 baller in this draft

playblair
11-10-2022, 09:31 PM
dillon mitchell = better jermey sochan

duncan2150
11-11-2022, 06:37 AM
dOesNt MaTteR. toO MuCH TaLeNt LoLz

I'll follow them but i'm not totally convinced for the moment that they're top 3 talent.... we'll see

Ariel
11-11-2022, 08:29 AM
I was very wary of taking Sharpe for this very reason, his achievements had been against much lower competition and there was next to no reliable evidence to judge him by. However, Portland did their due diligence (even having Lillard in his workout to assess him) and it seems clear they didn't screw up by taking him.
So my point is: if our pick ends up not in the expected range and the Thompson twins slip as a result of OTE related concerns, they may end up one of the better options for us our turn comes. It's a bigger risk, but if they work them out extensively and they check out, the potential reward may be too much to pass up.

BackHome
11-11-2022, 10:32 AM
The big difference is the eye test Amen is 6’7 PG who is a Elite Athlete we are talking NBA athleticism and he had decent handles and ability to find the open man, and he can create his own shot. The only question for him is his shooting if he can show that he can do that he will definitely be in top 10 and maybe as high as 3 depends on team needs. If he can’t do that then he might go mid first early second.

I do agree the league is shit but it’s pretty much just a big pre draft training camp so they do try to get these guys ready to do well in the draft workouts.

MultiTroll
11-11-2022, 10:46 AM
Zoom Diallo

Can the Spurs consider this guy just on name use for ST alone?

2024 point guard Zoom Diallo plans unofficial visit to Gonzaga on September 9 – Score Zags Score (https://scorezagsscore.com/2022/08/17/2024-point-guard-zoom-diallo-plans-unofficial-visit-to-gonzaga-on-september-9/#:~:text=The%20Gonzaga%20Bulldogs%20have%20success fully%20dipped%20into%20the,a%204-star%20recruit%20in%20the%20class%20of%202024.)

MultiTroll
11-11-2022, 10:48 AM
https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/sites/default/files/2019-02/Diallo_RD.jpg
Zoom Diallo

Dejounte
11-12-2022, 08:46 AM
I think what the Spurs ultimately go for in this draft is what they lost in Primo: a jumbo-sized playmaker

i think having Jordan Hall around serves as a filler in practice for that type of player so the other guys become accustomed to it.

If there is a Josh Giddey, Dyson Daniels, Cade Cunningham, Scottie Barnes - esque player in this upcoming draft, then that should be the guy IMO

it wouldnt disrupt Tre’s development (not that they’re building around him) but it would be the kind of pick where it just fits with everybody, just like how Sochan is ending up. This jumbo playmaker would be able to play with Sochan and everyone on the team. Solves the backup PG issue while still being versatile in lineups.

mo7888
11-12-2022, 08:48 AM
I think what the Spurs ultimately go for in this draft is what they lost in Primo: a jumbo-sized playmaker

i think having Jordan Hall around serves as a filler in practice for that type of player so the other guys become accustomed to it.

If there is a Josh Giddey, Dyson Daniels, Cade Cunningham, Scottie Barnes - esque player in this upcoming draft, then that should be the guy IMO

it wouldnt disrupt Tre’s development (not that they’re building around him) but it would be the kind of pick where it just fits with everybody, just like how Sochan is ending up. This jumbo playmaker would be able to play with Sochan and everyone on the team. Solves the backup PG issue while still being versatile in lineups.

I'm hoping Blake solves the backup pg issues. As for the draft I do think you're right about what we target unless we strike gold and get the top pick.

Dejounte
11-12-2022, 08:52 AM
I'm hoping Blake solves the backup pg issues. As for the draft I do think you're right about what we target unless we strike gold and get the top pick.

Oh i dont think my hypothetical player replaces Blake either. I think the position he’ll play would be 3/4 but with a lot of playmaking ability. The depth behind Sochan is so bad that this player would solve that too. KBD and Roby are both playing turrible.

mo7888
11-12-2022, 09:00 AM
Oh i dont think my hypothetical player replaces Blake either. I think the position he’ll play would be 3/4 but with a lot of playmaking ability. The depth behind Sochan is so bad that this player would solve that too. KBD and Roby are both playing turrible.

Gotcha... I'm still hoping for that alpha at the top of the draft but we aren't up in that top 5 or 6 I do think we probably adjust to quality depth. I really (for the first time since nephew was here) feel like we're actually building something and we only need 3 things to really compete... 1) a true alpha, 2) a little better depth in a couple spots, and 3) experience for the young guys.

I love watching this team..

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-12-2022, 11:43 AM

Keyonte George from Baylor. He’s not exactly a 1 but it might end up being his position. Nick Smith could be similar as well.

mo7888
11-12-2022, 01:23 PM
Keyonte George from Baylor. He’s not exactly a 1 but it might end up being his position. Nick Smith could be similar as well.

I'm pretty high on Nick Smith... he's probably 3 or 4 in this draft imo right now

Ocotillo
11-12-2022, 04:23 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1591540765234429953

Might Charlotte turn the season around ?

Seventyniner
11-12-2022, 04:41 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1591540765234429953

Might Charlotte turn the season around ?

I hope so. While it's probably not enough to get them into the 17-30 pick range so that their first conveys this year, it should cause them to end the season with a better record than the Spurs.

BackHome
11-13-2022, 02:34 AM

Looking at the draft it seems more likely that we will probably fall in the 5 to 11 range - So if they think Keyonte can play some PG or has the ability to handle the ball and facilitate the offense then he fits need and fits best talent I am just scarred of taking a tweener.

Beside Keyonte only other players that I like and I think will be in that range would be;

Amen Thompson - PG
Wallace - PG

Cam Whitmore - SF/SG
Brandon Miller - SF
GG Jackson - PF

Dejounte
11-13-2022, 06:11 AM
Brandon Miller is my early favorite. Tall, can handle with his left or right, score from anywhere, just a lot of talent overall. Would fit in excellent with this team. Spurs would be able to play BIG without missing a beat.

mo7888
11-13-2022, 09:57 AM
Brandon Miller is my early favorite. Tall, can handle with his left or right, score from anywhere, just a lot of talent overall. Would fit in excellent with this team. Spurs would be able to play BIG without missing a beat.

Wouldn't be a bad pick if we're outside the top 10..which is a real possibility..

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-13-2022, 10:12 AM
Wouldn't be a bad pick if we're outside the top 10..which is a real possibility..

I don’t think he lasts past pick 7-8.

Dejounte
11-13-2022, 10:22 AM

By this time last year Patrick Baldwin Jr was a top 5 pick. No such thing as a “bad or good pick” right now, except the obvious #1.

BackHome
11-13-2022, 11:29 AM
So true and I know most of us are looking at one and done players for this draft but they still some very talented second year players need to look at. For instances 2022 draft picks picks 4 through 6 were all second year players whose game improved dramatically;

Jaden Ivey
Keegan Murray
Ben Mathurian

mo7888
11-13-2022, 01:33 PM
By this time last year Patrick Baldwin Jr was a top 5 pick. No such thing as a “bad or good pick” right now, except the obvious #1.

It's obviously fluid and will change as we get more data (just like my personal board will change as I get more data) but as of today it's a good pick outside the top 10 on my board...

Dejounte
11-15-2022, 09:23 PM
https://twitter.com/kyletucker_ath/status/1592693322333949952?s=

My darkhorse pick

If he’s anything like one of my favorite players (Jrue Holiday) … take him.

Dejounte
11-15-2022, 09:30 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/.amp/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-kentuckys-cason-wallace

great article on Cason

sounds like the pg version of Sochan

playblair
11-16-2022, 05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCZCCfEu2Q8&ab_channel=ESPN

TD 21
11-16-2022, 06:42 PM
George reminds me of Eric Gordon and Wallace reminds me of Jrue Holiday.

Neither looks to be the type of dynamic on-ball creator this team desperately needs.

BackHome
11-16-2022, 08:55 PM
I will defer to you TD have only watched him once but have to give the kid credit he can put up points pretty fast and as far as stats I think with 3 games played he is averaging 6 rebounds 6 assist and 16 pts - If we draft him his intro should be "House of 6"..lol...

Dejounte
11-19-2022, 08:36 AM
Super early big board in tiers:

Tier 1
-Wemba

Tier 2
-Cason Wallace
-Scoot
-Dariq Whitehead

Tier 3
-Rayan Rupert
-GG Jackson
-Brandon Miller
-Keyonte George

heyheymymy
11-19-2022, 01:07 PM
Saw a projection of Spurs picking Anthony Black. Was weird to see it at pick # 11, surely we lose more than that?

JPB
11-19-2022, 01:30 PM

Tier 1
-Wemba

Tier 2
-Cason Wallace
-Scoot
-Dariq Whitehead

Tier 3
-Rayan Rupert
-GG Jackson
-Brandon Miller
-Keyonte George

Scoot stock have kind of lowered with his meh start of a season... Might have a few euro prospects sneaking in throughout the year as well.

BackHome
11-19-2022, 05:59 PM

Tier 1
-Wemba

Tier 2
-Cason Wallace
-Scoot
-Dariq Whitehead

Tier 3
-Rayan Rupert
-GG Jackson
-Brandon Miller
-Keyonte George

I would probably include Nick Smith in the tier 2 - So far it's kinda weird looking at the lottery players as some of the highest rated first year players haven't played yet because of injuries.

Nick Smith
Cam Whitmore
Dariq Whitehead

So far from watching players that are actually playing I would have to say I like what I am seeing from College:
Brandon Miller - he is a little older but a athletic 6'9 SF who can shoot, rebound, and pass looks pretty good to me so far
GG Jackson - Again, the kid is only 17 years old and he is 6'9 PF who is athletic can play defense and score definite upside is there
Keyonte George - The kid just gets buckets

I also like Azuolas Tubelis - A very athletic 6'11 PF can score and rebound pretty good looking at him in the second round

Dejounte
11-19-2022, 07:14 PM
My issue with Nick Smith is that his style of play reminds me of DJ Murray and that’s not a problem in itself but I think I want to watch a different type of player on this team.

scott
11-21-2022, 04:59 PM
Might check out some Maui Invitational games on Wednesday. Any prospects worth watching out for there?

Uriel
11-21-2022, 10:26 PM
Has anybody seen Kyle Filipowski play? I feel like he's everything we wanted Samanic to be.

Dejounte
11-23-2022, 05:03 AM
Anthony Black with a couple big games. He would be where we left off with Primo, but probably better. Big PG who has good vision, rebounds well, and can finish inside. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the pick.

mo7888
11-23-2022, 08:27 AM
Anthony Black with a couple big games. He would be where we left off with Primo, but probably better. Big PG who has good vision, rebounds well, and can finish inside. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the pick.

He's a player I like. He's probably not in my top 10 right now but He's got a lot of potential. I'd like to see him consistently be more aggressive and I'd like more consistency from outside the arc but he's got to tools to get there.

BackHome
11-23-2022, 04:32 PM

Yeah, I was thinking you would like him you mentioned you were looking at someone like Josh Giddey - He is kinda like him but a slightly better athlete, a better defender, but Giddey has him beat with court vision and his passing ..My first thoughts watching him is that he doesn't have that twitch I am looking for he is not near as athletic as Amen Thompson..But after watching this team I am kinda torn do we need a tradional PG or with guys like Sochan do we want someone is more of a PG/SG?

BacktoBasics
11-23-2022, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I was thinking you would like him you mentioned you were looking at someone like Josh Giddey - He is kinda like him but a slightly better athlete, a better defender, but Giddey has him beat with court vision and his passing ..My first thoughts watching him is that he doesn't have that twitch I am looking for he is not near as athletic as Amen Thompson..But after watching this team I am kinda torn do we need a tradional PG or with guys like Sochan do we want someone is more of a PG/SG?

I would rather see us get someone versatile, who might make matching up more difficult and retain Tre Jones when we need a more traditional look. Tre is borderline if not arguably a starting pg and probably still has a little bit more room to grow before he hits his ceiling.

TD 21
11-23-2022, 06:02 PM
I would rather see us get someone versatile, who might make matching up more difficult and retain Tre Jones when we need a more traditional look. Tre is borderline if not arguably a starting pg and probably still has a little bit more room to grow before he hits his ceiling.

:lmao Not even close.

BacktoBasics
11-23-2022, 06:11 PM
:lmao Not even close.

Yeah I realize we have a large base of members that can’t reconcile a starting pg who’s more of a game manager than stat filler. These days on ST if you’re not a borderline all star you’re a bust.

In the scenario mentioned Tre would be the back up pg. So you shouldn’t be as offended with that look.

TD 21
11-23-2022, 06:32 PM
Yeah I realize we have a large base of members that can’t reconcile a starting pg who’s more of a game manager than stat filler. These days on ST if you’re not a borderline all star you’re a bust.

In the scenario mentioned Tre would be the back up pg. So you shouldn’t be as offended with that look.

:lmao At the old school, myopic types who think Sochan has star potential and Jones is or has starting potential.

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-23-2022, 07:00 PM
Tre Jones has a ways to go to be considered a solid to good starting point guard. He isn’t bad, but he is better served as a backup.

I like Tre and hope we keep him as a back up, but I also hope we upgrade the starting point guard spot.

BacktoBasics
11-23-2022, 07:01 PM
:lmao At the old school, myopic types who think Sochan has star potential and Jones is or has starting potential.

Are you too stupid to understand that I’m suggesting he be the backup?

Perhaps you could revisit the terms “arguably” and “borderline”.

Dejounte
11-23-2022, 07:43 PM
It’s the same arguments over and over again, I guess it’s entertainment at this point. How anyone can shut the door on how good young players can be at this stage is still beyond me. Bad calls have been made with players like Murray, Keldon, Vassell (including myself), and being way off about those guys (with hundreds of posts made about it) yet here we are repeating the same stuff from the past on newer players.

DAF86
11-23-2022, 07:55 PM

Back in the days, did you think Kawhi, Dejounte and Keldon had "star" potential? I didn't, and look how all of them have developed. Sochan was drafted higher than any of them, I wouldn't put it past the Spurs' development program to work their magic once again.

We will still be needing that mercurial talent that needs to be born and can't be built to really get back to contending, though.

BackHome
11-23-2022, 09:53 PM
Yeah, Vassell is looking real good I am really liking the work he has been putting in and every year he keeps on getting better and better he is legit. Keldon, has also made huge strides and his 3 ball is night and day from last season wondering what he can improve upon for next season. I don't think anyone is saying that Tre is a starting PG for a good team but a lot of people do like his game and would not mind keeping him as the backup he still has room to improve as well.

We all now that if we don't get the first pick but get the second pick it's like 95% likely that we pick Scoot Henderson as our future PG - The way this team has been leading in the "Tank Command" I think we have a legit chance of landing a 1 to 4 pick which will definitely get us an upgrade in talent

pookenstein
11-24-2022, 09:37 AM
Keldon, has also made huge strides and his 3 ball is night and day from last season wondering what he can improve upon for next season.

I might by in the minority here, but Keldon has too much arc on his three. For my liking at least.

TD 21
11-24-2022, 03:23 PM
Are you too stupid to understand that I’m suggesting he be the backup?

Perhaps you could revisit the terms “arguably” and “borderline”.

Jones and the words arguably and borderline should never be mentioned in the same sentence as starting PG. Not currently, not potentially, etc.

He's a fringe rotation player who's ceiling is full-fledged rotation player.

Back in the days, did you think Kawhi, Dejounte and Keldon had "star" potential? I didn't, and look how all of them have developed. Sochan was drafted higher than any of them, I wouldn't put it past the Spurs' development program to work their magic once again.

We will still be needing that mercurial talent that needs to be born and can't be built to really get back to contending, though.

That's one of the problems with this board though. Largely due to the success of Parker and Scumbag (Ginobili was mostly developed when he arrived, Murray isn't a full-fledged star and Johnson isn't even under consideration, at least yet), many have this idea that virtually every 1st round pick is either destined for or has star potential.

Sochan's draft position is irrelevant in this case. His archetype doesn't have a star ceiling.

BacktoBasics
11-24-2022, 05:39 PM
Jones and the words arguably and borderline should never be mentioned in the same sentence as starting PG. Not currently, not potentially, etc.

He's a fringe rotation player who's ceiling is full-fledged rotation player.

That's one of the problems with this board though. Largely due to the success of Parker and Scumbag (Ginobili was mostly developed when he arrived, Murray isn't a full-fledged star and Johnson isn't even under consideration, at least yet), many have this idea that virtually every 1st round pick is either destined for or has star potential.

Sochan's draft position is irrelevant in this case. His archetype doesn't have a star ceiling.I don’t agree with you. He’s not a fringe rotation player. He’s shown competence on the court. Improvement in weak areas and effectiveness in pace and distribution.

No one here has made an effective argument against him being a legitimate rotation player.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-25-2022, 01:14 AM
Brandon Miller is so awesome.

RC_Drunkford
11-25-2022, 01:56 AM
the method of ranking Spurs players is easy, yet nobody here uses it: Name one starting PG worse than Tre Jones? Exactly, there is none. He's a bench player and even then he's not the best at his position. Argument done.

Vince Carter's ankle
11-25-2022, 02:42 AM
the method of ranking Spurs players is easy, yet nobody here uses it: Name one starting PG worse than Tre Jones? Exactly, there is none. He's a bench player and even then he's not the best at his position. Argument done.
Monte Morris

rankingtear
11-25-2022, 05:11 AM

Suggs, Giddey, Ayo. Maybe Bev and Monte.

Dejounte
11-25-2022, 03:02 PM
I’m trying to keep my eyes open for prospects who have such oozing talent that other players will gravitate around them, which is something you should expect if you’re drafting at the top. I think GG Jackson is becoming one of those players the more I watch. Whitehead is disappointing so far. Nothing eye popping from Keyonte yet.

Vince Carter's ankle
11-25-2022, 03:46 PM
Whitehead is disappointing so far.

Tier 1
-Wemba

Tier 2
-Cason Wallace
-Scoot
-Dariq Whitehead

Tier 3
-Rayan Rupert
-GG Jackson
-Brandon Miller
-Keyonte George

:reading

Dejounte
11-25-2022, 04:01 PM
:reading

Can’t believe I have to write this but here goes:

Context #1: older post was made six days ago. Whitehead has played 2 or 3? games since then that I’ve tuned into. In those two or three games, he’s been pulled from the game from boneheaded mistakes on offense and defense. Hence why I say he’s been unimpressive.

Context #2: “Super early big board”

Context #3: there were aspects about Whitehead that made him a tier above the rest (such as high school tape) initially. Obviously, if he can’t perform against better competition then that causes him to drop over time.

mo7888
11-25-2022, 04:38 PM
Can’t believe I have to write this but here goes:

Context #1: older post was made six days ago. Whitehead has played 2 or 3? games since then that I’ve tuned into. In those two or three games, he’s been pulled from the game from boneheaded mistakes on offense and defense. Hence why I say he’s been unimpressive.

Context #2: “Super early big board”

Context #3: there were aspects about Whitehead that made him a tier above the rest (such as high school tape) initially. Obviously, if he can’t perform against better competition then that causes him to drop over time.

Yep...that BB will change 50 times between now and the draft...that's just common sense...

Dejounte
11-25-2022, 05:32 PM
Watching GG right now and he’s looking like the Banchero/ unicorn player of this draft. More upside as a perimeter defender as he looks more natural doing that than Banchero, but less vision as a passer. His teammates are awful and they’re not respecting GG enough as the best player on the floor. Probably because he’s a freshman. They need to pass it to him on every play tbh

jjspur
11-25-2022, 06:45 PM
Dillon Mitchell from Texas. Dude has some hops. He's in the top 10 but not in the top 5 yet. Who knows where the spurs will land in the draft but if its in the 5 - 10 range, Mitchell would be a decent choice.

heyheymymy
11-25-2022, 08:12 PM
Shit is so preliminary still. we are all going to change up the tiers a million times between now and the draft.

Posters need to be able to think out loud without being nailed to that opinion as things shift.

Love all the thoughts so far, even the rebukes. But it's def going to be one of those threads with more projection and tentative looks. I'm already bailing on a few myself lol

BackHome
11-25-2022, 10:16 PM
I’m trying to keep my eyes open for prospects who have such oozing talent that other players will gravitate around them, which is something you should expect if you’re drafting at the top. I think GG Jackson is becoming one of those players the more I watch. Whitehead is disappointing so far. Nothing eye popping from Keyonte yet.

Yeah, GG definitely has that twitch he is pretty dang athletic and who knows he is only 17 years old so me may grow and be taller then 6'9 - the only thing is his wingspan I think it's either just 6'9 or 6'10. I said it before I am not touching Whitehead because of his broken foot and I don't want to deal with NO more players with foot issues..

BackHome
11-25-2022, 10:22 PM
Dillon Mitchell from Texas. Dude has some hops. He's in the top 10 but not in the top 5 yet. Who knows where the spurs will land in the draft but if its in the 5 - 10 range, Mitchell would be a decent choice.

Kind of getting vibes of Kendall Brown when watching him

BackHome
11-25-2022, 10:47 PM
Shit is so preliminary still. we are all going to change up the tiers a million times between now and the draft.

Posters need to be able to think out loud without being nailed to that opinion as things shift.

Love all the thoughts so far, even the rebukes. But it's def going to be one of those threads with more projection and tentative looks. I'm already bailing on a few myself lol

Yeah, a lot is going to play out with how they show the ability to hit the 3 ball for any guard or wing....I have to say Henderson may not be a lock for second because of that..

Henderson - 11 games - 3PT - .174 (.4-2.1) - FT .778 (2.5-3.3) - Terrible 3 ball..
K. George - 4 games - 3PT - .324 (2.4-7.4) - FT .800 (2.4-3.0)
C. Wallace - 4 games - 3PT - .533 (1.6-3.0) - FT .625 (1.0-1.6)
A. Black - 4 games - 3PT - .385 (1.3-3.3) - FT .818 (2.7-3.3)

Biggest question for me is Amen Thompson shooting?

And still need to see Cam Whitmore and Nick Smith play as they both have been injured Cam with thumb and Nick with knee both are were studs in High School..

heyheymymy
11-25-2022, 10:58 PM
Thanks for that data yeah shooting will be interesting to watch develop over the season

Tracking A. Black and he is fascinating and but ultimately low efficiency and streaky. Wondering if missing NSJ makes the heat fall on Anthony Black too much right now. Smith did travel to Maui but it sounds like he hasn't even done 1 full practice yet and still "day to day"

I'm back to the drawing board but there is still a lot of time for things to gel for certain players.

RC_Drunkford
11-26-2022, 06:53 AM

Monte Morris yes. Ayo got a slightly worse statline, but he's their back up. He's only starting cause Lonzo is still out. Suggs averages slightly more points, while Tre averages more assists, so I'd say they equal. Ayo and Suggs are better defenders though. Giddey is way better than Tre.

RC_Drunkford
11-26-2022, 06:55 AM
Watching GG right now and he’s looking like the Banchero/ unicorn player of this draft. More upside as a perimeter defender as he looks more natural doing that than Banchero, but less vision as a passer. His teammates are awful and they’re not respecting GG enough as the best player on the floor. Probably because he’s a freshman. They need to pass it to him on every play tbh

he been on my radar since last year. Very promising PF. Young, high character and has an NBA body already

Vince Carter's ankle
11-26-2022, 08:01 AM
Ayo and Suggs are better defenders though.
nope

BackHome
11-28-2022, 10:06 AM
Just noticed an update on Tankathon Big Board:

3. Amen Thompson PG/SG
4. Nick Smith PG/SG
5. Brandon Miller SF - Dude flew up the board
6. Cam Whitmore SF/PF
7. Ausur Thompson SG

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-28-2022, 10:48 AM
I have Brandon Miller in my top 3.

Next tier : Nick Smith, Amen, Keyonte, GG Jackson.

wildbill2u
11-28-2022, 12:16 PM

Smart take, my friend, along with the self-deprecatory comment that makes you a credible poster IMHO for the future. :bobo

wildbill2u
11-28-2022, 05:40 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/.amp/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-kentuckys-cason-wallace

great article on Cason

sounds like the pg version of Sochan

Some interesting vids out on the net on this kid already, One of the more interestugg was one which showcased Cason (4 star) vs. George (5 star) (434) Does Their Ranking Hold Up? 5 STAR Keyonte George VS 4 STAR Cason Wallace - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNM87UoXStU)

TD 21
11-29-2022, 05:56 PM

Suggs would likely be the nominal SG if Fultz were healthy, and the latter would share lead initiator with Banchero.

Gilgeous-Alexander is the nominal PG and lead initiator.

Dosunmu is a backup/combo guard filling in for injured Ball and DeRozan is lead initiator.

Beverley was nominal PG likely because Schroder was out. In either case, James is lead initiator.

Morris has started slow but has enough of a track record that indicates he's better and Beal is more so lead initiator.

Thanks for that data yeah shooting will be interesting to watch develop over the season

Tracking A. Black and he is fascinating and but ultimately low efficiency and streaky. Wondering if missing NSJ makes the heat fall on Anthony Black too much right now. Smith did travel to Maui but it sounds like he hasn't even done 1 full practice yet and still "day to day"

I'm back to the drawing board but there is still a lot of time for things to gel for certain players.

When they end up with the inevitable disappointing 4th-6th pick, I suspect he'll be a serious candidate for all the obvious reasons.

BackHome
11-29-2022, 06:21 PM
Nick Smith finally played after a knee injury - he played a couple of minutes against UNC still need a few more games to see what he is about. Does anyone know what kind of injury he suffered I looked it up but it is all vague of what he had and going through....

exstatic
11-30-2022, 07:24 AM
Nick Smith finally played after a knee injury - he played a couple of minutes against UNC still need a few more games to see what he is about. Does anyone know what kind of injury he suffered I looked it up but it is all vague of what he had and going through....

Well if he’s playing, you can rule out a ligament tear, which leaves a mild sprain, meniscus tear, or bone bruise. Take your pick, since it doesn’t seem that they’re being very forthcoming.

Excessive Egotist
11-30-2022, 08:35 AM

Doesn't matter to you at all, but I've told friends that GG Jackson is my pick to climb the draft board this year. Talent + age + he will have amassed a highlight reel by end of season. His measurements might not wow, but otherwise he's a climber.

wildbill2u
11-30-2022, 02:01 PM
We need a dick to play shooting Guard and Kansas has a Dick freshman at 6'8" who is lighting it up on 3s. Just sayin '

rjv
11-30-2022, 05:12 PM

whitehead hasn't shown me anything either but he's just coming back from injury so we'll see. i think the same may hold true for nick smith. GG has already made it into some mock drafts so he is rising.

BackHome
12-03-2022, 06:46 PM
Nick Smith had a very good game considering it was his second game of the season - 20+ minutes to go with 16pts, 3 -5 from three...Arkansas has a really fun team to watch ..

Dejounte
12-04-2022, 02:32 AM
Uh… Cam Whitmore looks special from the first game I’ve seen from him. Another prospect that looks the part.

Tier 1
Wemba

Tier 2
Cam Whitmore
GG Jackson
Scoot Henderson

Tier 3
Cason Wallace
Keyonte George
Nick Smith Jr

Tier 4
Anthony Black
Brandon Miller

mo7888
12-04-2022, 09:14 AM
Uh… Cam Whitmore looks special from the first game I’ve seen from him. Another prospect that looks the part.

Tier 1
Wemba

Tier 2
Cam Whitmore
GG Jackson
Scoot Henderson

Tier 3
Cason Wallace
Keyonte George
Nick Smith Jr

Tier 4
Anthony Black
Brandon Miller

It's so early and fluid but until more data (film) is available my top two tiers look like:

Tier 1
Wembanyama

Tier 2
Scoot
Amen
Whitmore
Smith

If I had a 3rd tier right now it'd probably be the balance of the guys you listed plus Asur and maybe Miller and Walker.

My biggest takeaway though is that after the first pick anything in the top 5 is better than last year's first in my opinion and furthermore anything in the top 10 to 12 is way better than most drafts. If I'm SA I'm doing everything I can to get a 2nd pick in the top 10 to go with my own.

BackHome
12-04-2022, 02:49 PM
It's so early and fluid but until more data (film) is available my top two tiers look like:

Tier 1
Wembanyama

Tier 2
Scoot
Amen
Whitmore
Smith

If I had a 3rd tier right now it'd probably be the balance of the guys you listed plus Asur and maybe Miller and Walker.

My biggest takeaway though is that after the first pick anything in the top 5 is better than last year's first in my opinion and furthermore anything in the top 10 to 12 is way better than most drafts. If I'm SA I'm doing everything I can to get a 2nd pick in the top 10 to go with my own.

Yeah, I like your order as of right now barring any major breaks I think that is what it will look like come draft night - Though Miller, GG, and Asur could make there way into that Tier 2nd ranking. Now for all you mock draft junkies I am curious to see if we where to lets say get 2nd or 3rd pick who would be your guy?

Scoot - A very good athlete is NBA ready and can run the team on day one - Only downside is his 3 ball is terrible right and his free throw % not great. But he is still so young and has high level experience as G League he is playing against other draft picks and 24 and 25 year old men

Amen - I have to say this is going to be all on Spurs shooting coaches and scouts - The dude is easily top 5 most athletic player in the draft which is saying something. He might just be a "Deer" but he does show that he can handle the rock decently and shows some nice play making ability and some sick passing. One main concern is the same with Scoot he is a terrible 3 point shooter but he is a pretty good free throw shooter and maybe some hope. I would have to say he is a more athletic version of Murray with better handles and better court vision

Whitmore - Is a man among boys he is either 6'7 or 6'8 and he is a sold 230 pounds of muscle and he is also in the top 5 most athletic players in the draft. I saw one comparison that basically said he is a much better Keldon Johnson - better handles, and shooting, and much better finisher at the rim. He like Scoot is NBA ready and would be our starting SF from day one and could also move to the 4 when we play Sochan at the 5

Smith - He has only played two games this season but he looks like he could be special he can play with the ball or off the ball depending on what you need. He is a polished shooter and has excellent form as a shooter definitely can help a team get buckets and seems to have a very high ball IQ. He is not NBA ready as he is still kind of skinny he will need to bulk up a little to handle the NBA

To be honest I can't pick one of those guys over the other right now but all 4 of those guys I would love to be on my team

Dejounte
12-04-2022, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I like your order as of right now barring any major breaks I think that is what it will look like come draft night - Though Miller, GG, and Asur could make there way into that Tier 2nd ranking. Now for all you mock draft junkies I am curious to see if we where to lets say get 2nd or 3rd pick who would be your guy?

Scoot - A very good athlete is NBA ready and can run the team on day one - Only downside is his 3 ball is terrible right and his free throw % not great. But he is still so young and has high level experience as G League he is playing against other draft picks and 24 and 25 year old men

Amen - I have to say this is going to be all on Spurs shooting coaches and scouts - The dude is easily top 5 most athletic player in the draft which is saying something. He might just be a "Deer" but he does show that he can handle the rock decently and shows some nice play making ability and some sick passing. One main concern is the same with Scoot he is a terrible 3 point shooter but he is a pretty good free throw shooter and maybe some hope. I would have to say he is a more athletic version of Murray with better handles and better court vision

Whitmore - Is a man among boys he is either 6'7 or 6'8 and he is a sold 230 pounds of muscle and he is also in the top 5 most athletic players in the draft. I saw one comparison that basically said he is a much better Keldon Johnson - better handles, and shooting, and much better finisher at the rim. He like Scoot is NBA ready and would be our starting SF from day one and could also move to the 4 when we play Sochan at the 5

Smith - He has only played two games this season but he looks like he could be special he can play with the ball or off the ball depending on what you need. He is a polished shooter and has excellent form as a shooter definitely can help a team get buckets and seems to have a very high ball IQ. He is not NBA ready as he is still kind of skinny he will need to bulk up a little to handle the NBA

To be honest I can't pick one of those guys over the other right now but all 4 of those guys I would love to be on my team

Whitmore (if he keeps improving) is a dynamic wing. A rare kind where you don’t have to hope he develops handles, shooting, or defense. Players with that height, skill, and athleticism are no brainer picks. The main thing for me is he has guard-like handles as a 6’6” player and so he can be that go-to guy down the stretch. Having handles is usually the key to stardom, IMO.

mo7888
12-04-2022, 04:01 PM

If we're at 2 currently I'd go Scoot... if we're at 3 I'd go Smith or Amen and I'm not sure which one right now.... Dejounte makes a good argument for Whitmore... but for me I'd go with one of the tier 2 guys that could play the PG spot... that said, if Whitmore looks like a truly 'special' player at the end of the season then I'd pivot and take him at either 2 or 3.... in that scenario I would explore Keldons value and see if I could pick up another top 10 pick to get us a PG of the future...

Ariel
12-04-2022, 04:03 PM
Interesting read, don't have the time right now to follow that many prospects, but will do come February - March. Hopefully it's Wemby, but even if not we'll have a real shot at a top tier talent to build on.

BackHome
12-04-2022, 04:16 PM
Yeah, obviously would love Wemb.. but I am not going to be crying as long as we land in the top 3 of the draft. People think that if we get Wemb. we are going to be competing for a ring the next year are going to be very disappointed. Even if we do get the first pick it will still be a three year rebuild at best. If we stay in the top 3 I think we could be in a 4 to 6 year where we we can be serious about competing for another ring.

Either way with what ever pick we get I hope we strike Gold and we obviously need another high ranking pick the following year as we need a HUGE upgrade in talent. You know if we do stay in the top 3 of the draft and don't give away our second round pick we have a very good chance of getting someone pretty darn good as this draft is very deep. It is looking really nice in the 30 -36 rounds...:)

mo7888
12-04-2022, 04:55 PM
Yeah, obviously would love Wemb.. but I am not going to be crying as long as we land in the top 3 of the draft. People think that if we get Wemb. we are going to be competing for a ring the next year are going to be very disappointed. Even if we do get the first pick it will still be a three year rebuild at best. If we stay in the top 3 I think we could be in a 4 to 6 year where we we can be serious about competing for another ring.

Either way with what ever pick we get I hope we strike Gold and we obviously need another high ranking pick the following year as we need a HUGE upgrade in talent. You know if we do stay in the top 3 of the draft and don't give away our second round pick we have a very good chance of getting someone pretty darn good as this draft is very deep. It is looking really nice in the 30 -36 rounds...:)

I don't think anybody believes we're competing for a championship in year 1 if we get Wembanyama...but we expect to be competing for championships much of his career after he finishes developing ..

LeBowen
12-04-2022, 05:00 PM
I don't think anybody believes we're competing for a championship in year 1 if we get Wembanyama...but we expect to be competing for championships much of his career after he finishes developing ..

I think whoever gets him could be in a predicament similar to what's happening with Dallas.
He will get too good, too soon for them to tank anymore and then he'll be the lone star on a team not good enough to contend.
We've got a way better situation than Dallas did, but if Victor is even close to being as good as advertised, we'll be back in play-in spots in no time.

Anyhow, regardless of lottery, we need the best player available. Position doesn't matter.

mo7888
12-04-2022, 05:09 PM
I think whoever gets him could be in a predicament similar to what's happening with Dallas.
He will get too good, too soon for them to tank anymore and then he'll be the lone star on a team not good enough to contend.
We've got a way better situation than Dallas did, but if Victor is even close to being as good as advertised, we'll be back in play-in spots in no time.

Anyhow, regardless of lottery, we need the best player available. Position doesn't matter.

I categorize that as 'A problem we'd love to have'..

exstatic
12-04-2022, 05:34 PM

Dallas’s problem isn’t that Luka is too good, their problem is that Luka is Luka. He plays hero ball 24/7/365. Someone needs to sit him down, go over Jordan’s stat sheet, and point to the dip in numbers where he started winning.

DeRozan led us to the play in. DJ led us to the play in. If Wemby is “too good” he’ll take us far beyond that.

LeBowen
12-04-2022, 05:50 PM
Dallas’s problem isn’t that Luka is too good, their problem is that Luka is Luka. He plays hero ball 24/7/365. Someone needs to sit him down, go over Jordan’s stat sheet, and point to the dip in numbers where he started winning.

DeRozan led us to the play in. DJ led us to the play in. If Wemby is “too good” he’ll take us far beyond that.

I watched them against Detroit the other night.
Pistons started trapping Luka as soon as he crossed halfway line and his teammates literally couldn't score 4v3.
Luka is definitely a ballhog, but their roster is trash for a playoff team.

Demar had a way better roster, last season we got in becuase noone else wanted to.
Anyhow, if we strike gold with Victor or another potential superstar, there are plenty of assets to upgrade the roster and plenty of young guys who can develop.

rjv
12-05-2022, 12:28 PM

Tier 1
Wemba

Tier 2
Cam Whitmore
GG Jackson
Scoot Henderson

Tier 3
Cason Wallace
Keyonte George
Nick Smith Jr

Tier 4
Anthony Black
Brandon Miller

i've been looking forward to his return. he had quite a summer and i think he will vie for being the 1st college player selected in the draft.

stnick2261
12-05-2022, 01:29 PM
The Spurs have shown they can find serviceable starters (and even a few all-stars) drafting late in the 1st. It's the franchise player that you (mostly) need a high draft pick for. Once we have that player, I'm confident in the FO to surround him with enough talent without having to continue the tank (and using whatever natural draft spots we end up with each year).

BackHome
12-05-2022, 02:44 PM
The good thing is that if we draft in top 4 that means we also drafting in top 4 of second round and YES they are some really good players in that range in this draft.

Dejounte
12-08-2022, 03:47 AM
Cam Whitmore with a big game.

rjv
12-08-2022, 11:52 AM
Cam Whitmore with a big game.

he's still a bit rusty, as seen in his 2 for 7 shooting from three point range but he found other ways to score and his defense was legit. once he gets his legs back, he's gonna put up some gaudy numbers.

duncan2150
12-08-2022, 06:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoNDPgJJMQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G453cTSMuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqsa2ADeX0Q

I really think that GG's potential is hiigh. Smith and George could fit well in SA if we don't have a top 2-3 pick.

scott
12-08-2022, 07:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoNDPgJJMQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G453cTSMuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqsa2ADeX0Q

I really think that GG's potential is hiigh. Smith and George could fit well in SA if we don't have a top 2-3 pick.

Smith looks like the kind of player DJM developed into.

Nice body control by George.

GG reminds me of Jaren Jackson Jr? Am I off base there?

duncan2150
12-09-2022, 06:21 PM
Smith looks like the kind of player DJM developed into.

Nice body control by George.

GG reminds me of Jaren Jackson Jr? Am I off base there?

Yes GG could be something like JJJ, a four who can shoot the ball well. Maybe a poor version of KG ( don't think i'll will ever be something like KG lol). The guy still only 17 yrs old.

heyheymymy
12-09-2022, 08:43 PM
good lord Nick Smith Jr. looks so special in that tape. Great share thanks

exstatic
12-09-2022, 10:10 PM
Yes GG could be something like JJJ, a four who can shoot the ball well. Maybe a poor version of KG ( don't think i'll will ever be something like KG lol). The guy still only 17 yrs old.

The league is littered with bigs who can shoot the ball. JJJ can shoot, rebound, pass, create his own shot, and block shots. There’s a reason he was called a unicorn,

The Truth #6
12-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Anyone know much about Anthony Black? Looks intriguing.

duncan2150
12-10-2022, 04:47 AM
The league is littered with bigs who can shoot the ball. JJJ can shoot, rebound, pass, create his own shot, and block shots. There’s a reason he was called a unicorn,

Everytime we see a four who can shoot, the easy comparison is JJJ.

If you watch GG you'll see that he can do a lot of things, he's not a pure shotblocker but he has a lot of tools. He's more advanced than Jackson offensively at the same age imo.

Big Empty
12-10-2022, 10:59 AM
How many draft picks we got this coming summer

Vince Carter's ankle
12-10-2022, 01:09 PM
How many draft picks we got this coming summer
Own first round pick + second round draft pick from Indiana
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-10-2022, 01:15 PM
Own first round pick + second round draft pick from Indiana
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Indiana’s second is a fake pick, it was part of McDermott’s sign and trade, it won’t convey.

Spurs have their own first and second, as well as Charlotte’s top 16 protected first, which is unlikely to convey this year and will roll to 2024.

BackHome
12-10-2022, 04:20 PM
Cam and Smith both had good games both scoring 20 +

Its going to come down to shooting and on who gets picked where but as far as potential:

Amen
Cam & Smith
Miller
Ausur

mo7888
12-10-2022, 04:55 PM
The more I watch these guys play the more impressed I am with this draft. I've been saying tbe top 6 or so are better than anyone in last years draft and I still see that but, the more I watch the more I think therecare high impact players to be found all the way to 15. For instance, the SC kid goes anywhere from 9 to 18 in recent mocks. He has a real chance to be an impact player and may not go in the top 10. It really makes me want to try and get a 2nd pick that's projected top 15 with a chance to go higher. I'd be trying hard to find that deal..

baseline bum
12-10-2022, 05:39 PM

Still blows me away the Mavs got Doncic, who was the most sure thing pick since LeBron, with the #5 pick. Phoenix, Sacramento, and Atlanta passing on a 19 year old who was Euroleague MVP and had just led his team to the Euroleague title is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen in the draft.

BackHome
12-10-2022, 07:33 PM
The more I watch these guys play the more impressed I am with this draft. I've been saying tbe top 6 or so are better than anyone in last years draft and I still see that but, the more I watch the more I think therecare high impact players to be found all the way to 15. For instance, the SC kid goes anywhere from 9 to 18 in recent mocks. He has a real chance to be an impact player and may not go in the top 10. It really makes me want to try and get a 2nd pick that's projected top 15 with a chance to go higher. I'd be trying hard to find that deal..

I feel the same way which is why it will be hard to find a trade that will give us another pick this year. But another reason I want a bad record is I think they will be a couple of hidden gems in the 30 - 36 range.

mo7888
12-10-2022, 07:44 PM
I feel the same way which is why it will be hard to find a trade that will give us another pick this year. But another reason I want a bad record is I think they will be a couple of hidden gems in the 30 - 36 range.

I think that is correct. I've tried to come up with trade scenarios to get that pick but there aren't many. Maybe...just maybe... NY's 1st for taking on Fournier + Richardson + our pick you mentioned at the top of the 2nd... but there aren't many options out there..

Dejounte
12-10-2022, 09:10 PM
https://youtu.be/7eGtvCw-MJI

Natural basketball player

Almost the whole package (not a special playmaker)

I think he will maintain this level of play, maybe even take it up a notch soon

probably will be the #2 pick

tonight...you
12-10-2022, 10:50 PM

I like a lot of what he does.
He's very sudden, and that's big.
He also does a lot that you get away with in college that you can't get away with in the NBA.

I just can't vibe with him yet.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-11-2022, 02:47 AM
I like a lot of what he does.
He's very sudden, and that's big.
He also does a lot that you get away with in college that you can't get away with in the NBA.

I just can't vibe with him yet.

I agree. Still early, haven't watched much of him, but he reminds me of Keldon with more athleticism and worse 3 point shooting (bad slump notwithstanding). I'm not sure the Spurs need another player of the same ilk.

I hope he shows more dimensions of his game.

duncan2150
12-11-2022, 10:26 AM

I'm with you and i think he could be a top 5 pick without a doubt but no 2 it's really early to say that imo.

I still think Whitehead is a top 3 talent, just coming from injury and having a good game yesterday.

For the moment my top 7 is : Victor-Scoot-Whitehead-Smith-George-Withmore-GG Jackson . I have a really hard time evaluating thomson's twins playing against nobody.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-12-2022, 05:38 AM
The more I follow this draft class the less impressed I am. I hope some of these guys coming from injuries improve a ton during the season and make the top of the draft as good as it was supposed to be. So far for me :

Wemba - nothing to say here, clear number 1
Scoot - hope he's more of a Ja and less of a Bledsoe, there is improvement in his shooting for sure and his athleticism is great

Beyond these two, and Scoot hasn't actually played in a while, I've been quite disappointed.

Brandon Miller - really loved his movement and shooting at the start of the season but more and more it's becoming obvious he lacks an elite first step and handles in order to get to the rim at all. Sometimes he looks like a young Tatum but more often a Trey Murphy. He's so tall and long, he can get his shot off against anyone but I really hope he can prove to be a 3 level scorer.

Keyonte George - similar to Miller in that he looks the part but often he lacks the athletic edge and first step to really put it all together. Looks more of a Suggs than an Ivey. Expect him to improve though, he clearly knows how to play.

Amen and Ausar - the opposite of the above two - crazy athletic, incredible first step but do they have the shooting, the feel for the game, etc. when they face real competition? Incredibly difficult for me to evaluate them based on highlights.

Nick Smith - my current favourite for 3rd. Love the passion, motor and competitiveness he plays with. He can create his own shot, can handle and pass, can get to the rim and finish and gets to the line a lot. He also doesn't stop moving without the ball, which is very impressive. If he can grow into a PG and not a secondary playmaker it'd make him even more desirable.

Cam Whitmore - great tools and he's not played much yet, I have great hopes he can expand on what he's done so far. My critique is that he doesn't have a clear position. Really not convinced he'd be a good fit on the Spurs but admittedly he's only started his season

GG Jackson - very intriguing and very young, it's difficult to evaluate him playing on a bad team. Nice stats on the surface, terrible advanced stats all over when you dig deeper. This is where GMs make their money.

There's a gap for me at this point. The above seem like they have some sort of a chance to become franchise players.

Cason Wallace and Anthony Black - great players but more complimentary ones than future stars I suppose.

Whitehead - he's also been back from an injury and not had much opportunity but from what little I've seen I kind of don't like him at all. Seems slow and heavy footed, no functional athleticism. Hopefully it's just because of the foot injury and he'll improve.

Jarace Walker - has a grown man's body and plays within that Houston system that isn't perhaps great for individual stats. Very difficult for me project his NBA role. It's not like he's a strong interior finisher, he can probably move his feet quicker on the perimeter than you'd expect

Kelel Ware - probably has the highest upside of the centers in the draft (bar Wemba) because of his touch and shooting but teams generally aren't that enamored with drafting undeveloped centers too early in the draft.

Terquavion Smith - dynamic and a great shot on him but he hasn't made the leap he might have expected when he returned to school. Still, I see him as a clear NBA player. I even expect some team to reach for him because there aren't that many reliable shooters in this draft class

Some other players I'm higher/lower on :

Dillon Mitchell - don't like his game and especially for the Spurs. He literally doesn't touch the ball unless someone feeds him under the rim or he gets a rebound. Not sure he's scored from beyond 3 feet all season.
Gradey Dick - great shot and movement, there will always be an NBA role for a player like him.
Julian Phillips - good frame, defending upside and can get to the line. If he could become an even average shooter (there's optimism because of his FT%) he'll have a long career. Him, Jordan Walsh, Amari Bailey and Chris Livingston would be interesting projects in the typical draft them a year earlier way with a pick in the 20-30 range.
Dereck Lively - yuck.
Baba Miller - yet to play because of a suspension but could be a riser. Presumably he has an advanced game and he's good at a lot of things.
Julian Stawther and Kris Murray - I like them if they're available at the end of the first/beginning of the 2nd round - big, strong, NBA ready and I expect them to be good scorers, even if it's a 8th/9th man role.

exstatic
12-16-2022, 04:42 PM
Taylor Hendricks 6’9”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_reODIExXOw

Dejounte
12-17-2022, 06:34 PM
https://youtu.be/Zc3g06JsNVA

Not bad. Wasn’t sure before because I thought I thought he was nothing more than a 3 pt chucker but maybe his offensive game has more layers than that

BackHome
12-17-2022, 09:11 PM
Taylor Hendricks 6’9”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_reODIExXOw

Not bad he has potential he is averaging 15pts to go with 7 rebounds not bad he can hit the 3 ball pretty good - named AAC Freshmen of the Week in 4th strait week - I am thinking mid to late second round pick he definitely needs to work on his body though pretty skinny but then that is to be expected being 6'9 - A poor mans Brandon Miller?

BackHome
12-17-2022, 09:15 PM
https://youtu.be/Zc3g06JsNVA

Not bad. Wasn’t sure before because I thought I thought he was nothing more than a 3 pt chucker but maybe his offensive game has more layers than that

He was known in High School for his mid range game but I think his game changes to what the offense they run and what sets there coach wants. One thing he is a good player as he was rated the 9th best prospect of incoming Freshmen so it's not all fluke to what he is doing. I think his only concerns is finishing at the rim he gets easily bounced as he is so skinny and he does not have the ability to beat his man with a quick first step -

A couple of things that I like he can shoot and he can rebound two things this team really needs more of - Just to note we are currently the 4th worse REBOUNDING team right now if we did not have Poetl we would easily be the NBA's worst rebound team hands down

exstatic
12-17-2022, 09:36 PM
Not bad he has potential he is averaging 15pts to go with 7 rebounds not bad he can hit the 3 ball pretty good - named AAC Freshmen of the Week in 4th strait week - I am thinking mid to late second round pick he definitely needs to work on his body though pretty skinny but then that is to be expected being 6'9 - A poor mans Brandon Miller?

His advanced stats are really good. He’s beginning to get buzz as a first rounder.

duncan2150
12-18-2022, 06:54 AM

If he continues to play like this he's a first round for sure, averaging nearly 2 block also. Don't know him too much before i saw his name here, thanks to exastic. Good player with a big potential, was 46 of the RSCI top 100 in 2022.

ace3g
01-04-2023, 10:00 PM
Andre Jackson Jr.

mo7888
01-05-2023, 08:42 AM
Kris Murray- As I've been looking at players outside the top 10 he flashes a little bit. Obviously it's hard not to see Keegan when I watch him so I end up questioning myself...am I giving him credit for what Keegan did (or is doing now) or evaluating him on his own merit.

What do you guys that have watched him think?

duncan2150
01-12-2023, 02:05 PM
An update ( Knowing the Spurs will probably draft from 1 to 7-8 depending on the lottery) about some recent performances by potential top 10 rookies :

Keyonte Georges(PG/SG- 6-4, 185lb- Yesterday vs WVU)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxr-DC9L-cQ
George is a pure talent, he is a little small and not explosive but he's a baller. Can play some point. The % are not that good this year.

2022-2023 Stats : 16.5 pts 4.5 rbs 3.5 ast 1.3 stl 38% 33.6 % 3pt( 7.5 3PA/G) 83% FT ( 5 FTA/G)

Dariq Whitehead(SF- 6-7, 220lb )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDaWPfMfYmw
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1613329325755097088

Whitehead is for me the third best talent in this draft but coming from a foot injury, he is up to a slow start. He played 13 games and only 19 mpg but he starts to cook a little bit with 16 and 18 pts over the last two games. He's far from being in shape imo.

2022-2023 Stats : 9 pts in 20 minutes trough 13 games ( 35% at 3 with 4 3PA)

Cam Withmore( SF/PF- 6-7, 232lb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r1eiWUnRnI
I was not that high on Withmore at the start of the season but he looks to have the complete package : Can shoot, Ball handling ( not bad), Physical attributes ( Athletism, Big Body); can defend tough he is not good at shotblocking. One flaw in his game is his passing game.

2022-2023 Stats : 13 pts 5 rbs 1 stl 49% 32% 3pt ( 4 3PA/G) 83% FT

duncan2150
01-12-2023, 02:06 PM
Brandon Miller ( SF- 6-9, 200lb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m_nU-7_70M
Miller is maybe the best player right now between all the top 10 players in the NCAA. He's long , he's a really good shooter and he can rebound well. Right now he'll have some difficulties finishing at the rim. Not a bad defender averaging nearly one steal and one block.
He's one year older than other top prospects except the Thompson's twins.

2022-2023 Stats : 18.8 pts 8.2 rbs 2 ast 0.8 stl 0.9 blk 44% 44.5% 3PT 5( 7 3PA/G) 83% FT ( 5 FTA/G)

Nick Smith Jr.(PG/SG- 6-5, 185lb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiahuBHTCX4
I really like Nick Smith, after Scoot Wemby and Whithead ( college version lol), he's probably my guy. There's some rumors that he'll probably shut it down this year ( he's a Klutch player :) ).
Like George or Miller he's not a good finisher at the rim lacking some physicality but he's quick, can shoot with a good IQ. Lot of potential.

2022-2023 Stats : 13 pts 2 ast 2 rebs 39% 30% 3 pt in 5 games

GG Jackson( PF- 6-9, 215lb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocME0fsm8A
High ceilling player but a lot of things to work on. He just turned 18.

2022-2023 Stats : 15.8 pts 6.8 rbs 0.8 stl 0.8 bl 41.2% 33.8 3pt%( 5 3PA/G) 63.5 % FT

duncan2150
01-12-2023, 02:06 PM
Anthony Black ( PG- 6-7, 198lb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQURpPYJVgw
A prospect i start to like is Anthony Black, long PG who can do a little bit of everything. Without Smith he'll have more responsabilities at Arkansas.

2022-2023 Stats : 12 pts 5 rbs 3.6 ast 1.6 stl 0.6 blk 46% 30% 3pt ( 3 3PA/G) 70% ft ( 5 FTA/G)

Notes : Take a look at Baba Miller in the next weeks, he played his first game yesterday with Florida State.
I don't mention Scoot because he's a top 2 talent for me. Same with the Thompson's twins because i have a hard time evaluating them and their highlights are against really low competition.

Sorry for this long posts :)

mo7888
01-12-2023, 03:03 PM
Brandon Miller ( SF- 6-9, 200lb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m_nU-7_70M
Miller is maybe the best player right now between all the top 10 players in the NCAA. He's long , he's a really good shooter and he can rebound well. Right now he'll have some difficulties finishing at the rim. Not a bad defender averaging nearly one steal and one block.
He's one year older than other top prospects except the Thompson's twins.

2022-2023 Stats : 18.8 pts 8.2 rbs 2 ast 0.8 stl 0.9 blk 44% 44.5% 3PT 5( 7 3PA/G) 83% FT ( 5 FTA/G)

Nick Smith Jr.(PG/SG- 6-5, 185lb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiahuBHTCX4
I really like Nick Smith, after Scoot Wemby and Whithead ( college version lol), he's probably my guy. There's some rumors that he'll probably shut it down this year ( he's a Klutch player :) ).
Like George or Miller he's not a good finisher at the rim lacking some physicality but he's quick, can shoot with a good IQ. Lot of potential.

2022-2023 Stats : 13 pts 2 ast 2 rebs 39% 30% 3 pt in 5 games

GG Jackson( PF- 6-9, 215lb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocME0fsm8A
High ceilling player but a lot of things to work on. He just turned 18.

2022-2023 Stats : 15.8 pts 6.8 rbs 0.8 stl 0.8 bl 41.2% 33.8 3pt%( 5 3PA/G) 63.5 % FT

Good stuff

scott
01-12-2023, 05:00 PM
Appreciate the scouting reports duncan2150!

Ariel
01-12-2023, 06:49 PM
Thanks duncan2150 and everyone contributing to this thread. Haven't had the time to watch these prospects for myself (will do come February/March), so this is a good source of info.
I think it's clear Wembanyama and Scoot are everyone's top 2 picks. And I'm sure whomever lands Wemby is going to keep him. However, I'm wondering if that's the case with Scoot, given his profile as a ball dominant, high usage PG. The bottom teams right now include Houston, Charlotte and Detroit.
Detroit already has Cunningham and Ivey and there's only one ball to go around, adding Scoot to the mix doesn't seem like a good fit, though he's a Troy Weaver kind of guy. But and they may take him and see where it goes... but there's only one ball and something (or someone) has got to give.
Charlotte already has it's franchise player in Lamelo, and given his style and personality, adding a second ball dominant young star with alpha dog mindset sounds like a recipe for disaster, at a time where they're trying to build around him and keep him at ease, which is already difficult with the whole Bridges ordeal. He's also set for an extension soon enough, you'd think they'd like to keep him happy.
In terms of fit, Houston isn't such a horrible one as the previous 2, but maybe adding another alpha dog type to the pack of selfish knuckleheads they call a roster isn't the best idea.
To sum it up, as good as Scoot is, there's a chance some of the teams with the best odds to land him could be a bad fit, and maybe if we come up a bit short of a top 2 pick (say 3/4/5/6) that could still give us a shot at him, albeit at the surely costly expense of other young assets. Or maybe it opens up other unexpected opportunities (Ivey?). In any case, it's something to keep an eye on.

mo7888
01-12-2023, 08:24 PM
Thanks duncan2150 and everyone contributing to this thread. Haven't had the time to watch these prospects for myself (will do come February/March), so this is a good source of info.
I think it's clear Wembanyama and Scoot are everyone's top 2 picks. And I'm sure whomever lands Wemby is going to keep him. However, I'm wondering if that's the case with Scoot, given his profile as a ball dominant, high usage PG. The bottom teams right now include Houston, Charlotte and Detroit.
Detroit already has Cunningham and Ivey and there's only one ball to go around, adding Scoot to the mix doesn't seem like a good fit, though he's a Troy Weaver kind of guy. But and they may take him and see where it goes... but there's only one ball and something (or someone) has got to give.
Charlotte already has it's franchise player in Lamelo, and given his style and personality, adding a second ball dominant young star with alpha dog mindset sounds like a recipe for disaster, at a time where they're trying to build around him and keep him at ease, which is already difficult with the whole Bridges ordeal. He's also set for an extension soon enough, you'd think they'd like to keep him happy.
In terms of fit, Houston isn't such a horrible one as the previous 2, but maybe adding another alpha dog type to the pack of selfish knuckleheads they call a roster isn't the best idea.
To sum it up, as good as Scoot is, there's a chance some of the teams with the best odds to land him could be a bad fit, and maybe if we come up a bit short of a top 2 pick (say 3/4/5/6) that could still give us a shot at him, albeit at the surely costly expense of other young assets. Or maybe it opens up other unexpected opportunities (Ivey?). In any case, it's something to keep an eye on.

I think anyone at 2 just drafts Scoot and figures it out later. If any team were to trade him it'd be Detroit though (even though I'd bet against it)... trading down to get Cam and extra draft capital could make sense for them...

Ariel
01-12-2023, 08:57 PM
I think anyone at 2 just drafts Scoot and figures it out later. If any team were to trade him it'd be Detroit though (even though I'd bet against it)... trading down to get Cam and extra draft capital could make sense for them...
Most likely you're right, but I think it could come down to how the board shapes up coming to the draft. If some wing player emerges who comes close to the upper tier, then the fit might be enough to entice them. Detroit could use 3 pt shooting wings much more than guards, if they see one they like maybe a package of no. 3/4 + Keldon Johnson + a pick might do the trick. Detroit has Killian Hayes as well, who's emerging. I think we're by far the best fit for scoot among the bottom teams, followed by Orlando. My point is, there's a chance (albeit a small one) than even a non top 2 pick might land us a top 2 player. For that every position is important, which is why we should fight like hell for it. It's not the same to trade up a pick or 2, than 4 or 5.

scott
01-12-2023, 09:06 PM
I was curious of those who have spent more time watching these guys what you thought about the comps on this mock draft.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2023-nba-mock-draft/

mo7888
01-12-2023, 09:36 PM
I was curious of those who have spent more time watching these guys what you thought about the comps on this mock draft.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2023-nba-mock-draft/

Just looking at the top 5 I'd say 2 and 4 I just don't see.... I'm not even sure how they can have prime wb and cp3 as a comp because they are so dissimilar...and amen is nothing like Livingston....he's more athletic, better shooter, and not nearly as good when it comes to court vision... the other 3 I wouldn't argue to much over..

ace3g
01-12-2023, 09:52 PM
https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1613680454447599616

mo7888
01-12-2023, 10:14 PM
https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1613680454447599616

Amen is higher on most boards, but Ausar may end up being better.

BackHome
01-13-2023, 01:05 AM
I was high on Nick Smith even before his first knee injury he came back and had some good games but he hurt his knee again and has not played for awhile. Definitely do not want to draft anyone who has injury issues but I am sure Spurs will do there due diligence

As far as Miller and Black go watch there game they just played against each other. - Miller is good but he will take time to develop he does not have that top All Star level athleticism and he can not beat his man off the dribble but he can shoot and does go after rebounds even though his is so thin. As far as Black i hate the way they played him as Arkansas kinda was playing PG by committee but he is a solid player just not a top 5 pick which I am hoping we stay in that range.

I think the Thompson twins it all depends who drafts then if they go to a shitty development team well they won’t be long in the NBA. If a team with good solid development drafts them then they have a potential from a solid stater to potential All Star. I know they playing against very good High School players but there athleticism is off the charts and Amen does have Excellent court vision and passing skills. To me it has been and will always be can they become better shooters if a teams believes they can they both have a good chance to go in top 10.

Jackson is very good for being so young but I don’t know if we draft another PF?

Cam I like but he is just a better version of Keldon so not sure how he would fit with us?

heyheymymy
01-13-2023, 03:24 AM
Yeah Nick Smith Jr. was my initial player to track for the pick and I've gone back and forth but the sketchy participation this season has me uncertain.

He did have some good games the few times he was avail but pretty sure I'm ruling him out for now.

exstatic
01-13-2023, 08:35 AM
I think that,depending what the injury is and if our pick falls, you have to still consider Nick Smith.

BacktoBasics
01-13-2023, 11:27 AM
Spurs should absolutely be targeting Black. He would be a great fit if we land outside the top 3-4

duncan2150
01-13-2023, 12:37 PM
Spurs should absolutely be targeting Black. He would be a great fit if we land outside the top 3-4

Agreed i start to like him if we are outside of the top 4-5 like you said.

Jackson is very good for being so young but I don’t know if we draft another PF?

Cam I like but he is just a better version of Keldon so not sure how he would fit with us?

Yes Withmore looks a little redundant with Johnson.

Imo the best fits for this team are PG or combo guard : Smith Jr, George, Black ( outside top 5), Scoot and.... Victor lol

The Truth #6
01-13-2023, 01:21 PM
Assuming we fail to get the top pick, there will be a lot of understandable handwringing in trying to figure out who the Spurs will/should draft, especially with the number three or four pick let’s say.

scott
01-13-2023, 01:59 PM
If they are truly the best prospects - we can't afford to pass on players because they are redundant to Keldon Johnson. Keldon is a transitory/support piece, not a centerpiece building block, IMO.

mo7888
01-13-2023, 02:43 PM
If they are truly the best prospects - we can't afford to pass on players because they are redundant to Keldon Johnson. Keldon is a transitory/support piece, not a centerpiece building block, IMO.

That's the right take... we can't really consider who's on the roster with a too 10 pick... we have to take the most talented upside...I like Black but right now I couldn't have him in the top 8... maybe he'll show more between now and the draft..

BacktoBasics
01-13-2023, 03:27 PM
That's the right take... we can't really consider who's on the roster with a too 10 pick... we have to take the most talented upside...I like Black but right now I couldn't have him in the top 8... maybe he'll show more between now and the draft..
I’d take Black at 5 and strongly argue at 4.

Right now these are the only 3 I’m higher on than Black

Wemby
Scoot
Amen

Nick is getting interesting but I’m not there yet.

heyheymymy
01-13-2023, 03:31 PM
When you look at the roster projections, obviously just spitballing predictions here but in forecast it appears that Spurs positional needs or depth lack would possibly fall on PG and SF.

If JR gets traded or not picked up again this summer and if Doug gets traded, you will have a thinned out SF depth with just KJ outside of slide downs/shift ups from PF/SG.

If someone snakes Tre Jones and outbids SA, likewise PG position shows some depth lack as it's already thin now with basically Jones/Wes and then ball handling by committee beyond that with some very experimental slottings (point forward Sochan, JR, Bran)

Parenthetical are contracts expiring this summer:

(Jones)/Wesley/
Vassell/(JR)/(Lang)/Branham
Keldon/Doug/(KBD)
Sochan/(Roby)/(Stanley)
(Poeltl)/Zollins/Bassey?

Almost looks like Scoot would drop the best into what could possibly be assembled/retained for 2023-2024 season. Assuming Jones and Poeltl gets deals to return, and anyones guess as to the backup PF (bring back Stanley?), and say Langford gets a returning deal:

Jones/Scoot/Wesley
Vassell/Langford/Branham
Keldon/Doug
Sochan/Stanley
Poeltl/Zollins

Leaves 1 rotation slot for Bassey or a veteran depth fill anywhere of need. Plus Spurs still have an early 2nd that could catch a dream faller or pick a Euro stash. Anyway just shooting in the dark, what am I missing?

heyheymymy
01-13-2023, 03:36 PM
Well my whole point was that Wemby doesn't really fit into the roster composition as is if you bring back Poeltl because Poeltl/Zollins would be pretty strong but I suppose you could slot Wemby at PF which a lot of discussion has focused on the possibility of. Solves the PF rotation problem though you'd have to tell a #9 FRP to come off the bench, suppose Sochan is a chill enough personality to comply with that.

Jones/Wesley/2023 SRP
Vassell/Langford/Branham
Keldon/Doug
Wemby/Sochan
Poeltl/Zollins

heyheymymy
01-13-2023, 03:42 PM
But anyway, my point was that most realistically odds-wise and most needed positionally speaking, we probably won't get Wemby. That's okay because honestly there seems to be a hole in the PG SG corps where DJM left. Replacing that might not seem as glamorous as landing Wemby, but might be the truer ticket to a complete team top to bottom.

So someone like NSJr from Ark who seems like a DJ Murray type mold or Scoot or even a distributor like Black would maybe be a better outcome than even landing #1 Wemby though I am not opposed to Wemby outside of some Greg Oden concerns.

mo7888
01-13-2023, 03:48 PM
I’d take Black at 5 and strongly argue at 4.

Right now these are the only 3 I’m higher on than Black

Wemby
Scoot
Amen

Nick is getting interesting but I’m not there yet.

I've got him in the 8-15 range right now

scott
01-13-2023, 03:54 PM
Well my whole point was that Wemby doesn't really fit into the roster composition as is if you bring back Poeltl because Poeltl/Zollins would be pretty strong but I suppose you could slot Wemby at PF which a lot of discussion has focused on the possibility of. Solves the PF rotation problem though you'd have to tell a #9 FRP to come off the bench, suppose Sochan is a chill enough personality to comply with that.

Jones/Wesley/2023 SRP
Vassell/Langford/Branham
Keldon/Doug
Wemby/Sochan
Poeltl/Zollins

I think we can look at 89-90 as a good example of how to quickly re-construct around an incoming franchise player. The Spurs had a "core" of young players (for the time, when every went to college): Alvin Robertson, Willie Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, Cadillac Anderson and Vernon Maxwell. With David Robinson (and Sean Elliott) coming in, most of these guys were moved to construct the roster around Robinson.

If Wemby is coming in, we shouldn't simply try to force him into our existing (crappy) lineup, you make some deals and build a whole new team even if it means sending out some of the guys you think are promising (Vassell, Johnson, Bran, Wesley, even Sochan).

scott
01-13-2023, 03:57 PM
Scoot and the Thompson twins give me the biggest concern from an "Uncle Dennis" perspective. On the surface, they don't seem like the kind of kids who want to be the face of a smaller market team, and will eventually force themselves out to the brighter lights of a bigger city.

heyheymymy
01-13-2023, 03:58 PM
Intersting scott - it's a complete tear out as opposed to envisioning the new piece slotting into existing personnel.

The roster may be an unforeseeable build based off of what trade upgrades can be had with our collection of valuable assets.

Spurs control their destiny and it's just down to good decision making at this point.

scott
01-13-2023, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I've kind of shifted the way I think about the collection of young players and picks that we have. Instead of viewing it as a slow accumulation of the players needed to build a contender, it is just an accumulation of assets that you can move to build around the centerpiece if you should be so fortunate to land one (and all the picks give us more chances of hitting). If we think of the 5 young guys I mentioned above... I think maybe 2 of them would be part of an eventual contender if we could build one - the rest get moved for the right pieces to complement our yet-to-be-determined star.

BacktoBasics
01-13-2023, 04:35 PM
I've got him in the 8-15 range right now

I can understand 8 because he’s not a volume scorer, big time shooter or super athletic rim runner but anything outside of top 10 is a stretch at this point. The way he moves with the ball and flow of game he brings is upper level and bordering on elite.

We got a long way to go though. I’ll admit that.

heyheymymy
01-13-2023, 05:08 PM
Agreed scott.

I love our pieces but have no allegiance to any outside maybe Dev and Sochan. It's a business at the end of the day and if say KJ can net some no-brainer return you pull that trigger every time.

Will be interesting to see as the Spurs have amassed a horde of value to deal out with.

mo7888
01-13-2023, 05:22 PM
I can understand 8 because he’s not a volume scorer, big time shooter or super athletic rim runner but anything outside of top 10 is a stretch at this point. The way he moves with the ball and flow of game he brings is upper level and bordering on elite.

We got a long way to go though. I’ll admit that.

Maybe...but I think any tiers at this point (mine included) aren't reliable yet... we've got some film and I see some deficiencies there but we need athletic numbers and measurements to add to the equation....then the picture will clear up a bit..

exstatic
01-13-2023, 05:43 PM

Portland passed on Michael Jordan, because they felt he was redundant to Drexler.

exstatic
01-13-2023, 05:48 PM

Jones/Wesley/2023 SRP
Vassell/Langford/Branham
Keldon/Doug
Wemby/Sochan
Poeltl/Zollins

Wemby absolutely plays the 4, and is a beast weakside shotblocker.

JuneJive
01-13-2023, 07:12 PM
I like Cason Wallace. A lot. But, like in 5+ range.

BackHome
01-13-2023, 10:42 PM
Maybe...but I think any tiers at this point (mine included) aren't reliable yet... we've got some film and I see some deficiencies there but we need athletic numbers and measurements to add to the equation....then the picture will clear up a bit..

Great point its like Jackson i really like him even if he is a PF but i read something that his is 6’9 but his wingspan is also only 6’9 but who knows he is really young so you know those growth plates. Lol

offset formation
01-13-2023, 11:16 PM
Scoot and the Thompson twins give me the biggest concern from an "Uncle Dennis" perspective. On the surface, they don't seem like the kind of kids who want to be the face of a smaller market team, and will eventually force themselves out to the brighter lights of a bigger city.

Scoot for sure. Be a wasted pick. Don't have a sense for the Thompsons yet

The Truth #6
01-14-2023, 12:48 AM
If they don’t get Wemby, I can easily see them prioritizing BBIQ and character and getting Black or someone else that fits that criteria.

duncan2150
01-14-2023, 08:46 AM
I like Cason Wallace. A lot. But, like in 5+ range.

Wallace is a beast on D but i have my concerns on Offense. He is not so athletic, yes he can shoot but he does not have some shot creation or good finishing at the rim.

mo7888
01-15-2023, 06:53 PM
Something to watch- Darius Miles a basketball player at Alabama was arrested on a murder charge... several SEC message boards are saying other players may have been present at the shooting..

heyheymymy
01-15-2023, 07:01 PM
Something to watch- Darius Miles a basketball player at Alabama was arrested on a murder charge... several SEC message boards are saying other players may have been present at the shooting..

Between this and Primo, no more Bama players for a while lol

Ariel
01-15-2023, 07:02 PM
Holy f*ck. Just when I was starting to like Brandon Miller :lol
Primo also was drafted out of Alabama...

TD 21
01-15-2023, 07:26 PM

Yeah, he's the virtual antithesis of a Spur so he probably wouldn't last long but would obviously have to be selected nonetheless.

I was on to him early as the likely Spurs stereotype, which is exactly why I don't want him.

They desperately need a dynamic talent, if not skill wise, then at least athletically and preferably a non boy scout/choir boy type.

KingKev
01-15-2023, 07:31 PM
I was on to him early as the likely Spurs stereotype, which is exactly why I don't want him.

They desperately need a dynamic talent, if not skill wise, then at least athletically and preferably a non boy scout/choir boy type.

A non biracial, urban type from the ghetto. The darkest M&M possible :lmao

BacktoBasics
01-15-2023, 10:22 PM
Yeah, he's the virtual antithesis of a Spur so he probably wouldn't last long but would obviously have to be selected nonetheless.

I don’t really disagree but who outside of the top 2 locked in picks would fit that mold in the top 6.

I can only think of Amen in that regard.

Black is the Doncic to the argument we need a Trae Young.

I know that analogy is a stretch skill wise but the core of the argument is applicable. Black being the antithesis to what you suggest we badly need.

KingKev
01-16-2023, 01:45 PM
^ black, white, yellow, purple, gay, jailbird blah blah blah it doesn’t matter. We need a few talented players with chips on their shoulder who aren’t afraid to mix it up. Zollins is the closest we have to that but the problem is he is a bench player.

TD 21
01-16-2023, 06:09 PM
I don’t really disagree but who outside of the top 2 locked in picks would fit that mold in the top 6.

I can only think of Amen in that regard.

Black is the Doncic to the argument we need a Trae Young.

I know that analogy is a stretch skill wise but the core of the argument is applicable. Black being the antithesis to what you suggest we badly need.

Skill wise, Smith Jr. and possibly Miller look the part and athletically, the Thompson twins definitely do and Whitmore probably does too.

ace3g
01-16-2023, 09:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99luWKRuhcs

Degoat
01-16-2023, 10:15 PM
I am happy that this draft seems deep, we all want Victor but Scoot, Miller, Whitmore, Thompson twins would all be great gets as well.

im actually starting to really get typed about Scoot or Miller tbh

Ariel
01-16-2023, 10:44 PM
Still haven't seen entire games from most prospects (no one other than top 2, actually), only clips from YouTube. With that said, and omitting the obvious top 2 picks, if we land from 3 onwards I'm leaning towards Brandon Miller. He's long, has all around potential and CAN REALLY SHOOT. That to me is a huge concern, you can get by a couple non shooters at most, and looking forward we have too many starters who really struggle from deep (below 30%). Doesn't mean I'm ruling out an Amen Thompson, for instance, but I'd be very careful to weight all options. Nick Smith Jr's all around skillset, youth and length are also tempting, but knee injuries that early scare me the heck away. Other players that intrigue me if we can get a second pick in the mid first or about there, are Anthony Black (probably goes earlier) and Jett Howard. But all of this is simply by watching clips of the top 20 projected players or so, so come February/March (when I'll watch full games) I might change my mind.

AFBlue
01-16-2023, 11:34 PM
Spurs need a go-to scorer that can get buckets in a variety of ways. I say they go back to the Baylor well and grab Keyonte George. Pure stroke, unlimited range, and underrated as a playmaker.

BackHome
01-16-2023, 11:53 PM
Anthony reminds me of a taller version of White