PDA

View Full Version : Can wembanyama make spurs popular to media and free agents?

skin27
10-07-2022, 10:07 AM
Im thinking what if the spurs somehow get wembanyama can he make the frachise popular? Or will the spurs become a big market team with wembanyama?

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-07-2022, 10:10 AM
No.

Not even Tim Duncan could make SA a free agent destination.

Leetonidas
10-07-2022, 10:13 AM
For free agents? No. But for the media? Maybe. even Methlahoma got a lot of exposure with KD/Westbrook. Same thing with NOLA and Zion, or LeBron in Cleveland. if the player is exciting enough, people will watch regardless of where they play

skin27
10-07-2022, 10:20 AM
For free agents? No. But for the media? Maybe. even Methlahoma got a lot of exposure with KD/Westbrook. Same thing with NOLA and Zion, or LeBron in Cleveland. if the player is exciting enough, people will watch regardless of where they play

Yup..i think he can make the rating go up.... they say he is a generational talent like lebron so that will help the ratings of spurs games.

skin27
10-07-2022, 10:22 AM
No.

Not even Tim Duncan could make SA a free agent destination.

Timmy is not exciting player to watch.

R. DeMurre
10-07-2022, 12:00 PM

Why do you include NOLA? New Orleans is a pretty unique city, so I don't think that's a hard sell. The music, culture, food, and architecture scenes are better there than in most American cities. I'm always amazed it isn't more popular, though I get that younger players are more attracted to the glitz of a Miami or an L.A...

KingKev
10-07-2022, 12:11 PM
Another VW thread. You couldn’t post this brain fart in one of the other two threads at the top of the forum?

Leetonidas
10-07-2022, 02:29 PM
Why do you include NOLA? New Orleans is a pretty unique city, so I don't think that's a hard sell. The music, culture, food, and architecture scenes are better there than in most American cities. I'm always amazed it isn't more popular, though I get that younger players are more attracted to the glitz of a Miami or an L.A...

Nola is unique city but that doesn't mean it's an attractive spot for free agents. They are one of the smallest markets and routinely are in the bottom half of league attendance. It's also a fairly small city compared to a lot of other markets. It may be a cool city to visit as a tourist but not one young NBA players want to live in. I mean hell even we've gotten some decent free agents over the years. When has a decent FA ever gone to Nola?

skin27
05-25-2023, 01:11 AM
Hopefully wemby can up spurs games rating and more national tv apperances.

Mr. Body
05-25-2023, 01:14 AM
OKC became popular due to Durant/Westbrook/Harden and those fans have stuck with them, despite being, y'know, a shithole state.

Brian Windhorst is already detaching himself from LeBron's ass and flew out to interview Wemby moments after the draft lottery.

SpurPadre
05-25-2023, 07:28 PM
ESPN and the rest of the mainstream sports media will continue to hate on the Spurs. Shit, ESPN just put up an article about proposed trades each team would need to offer to take Wembanyama off our hands. That’s REAL saltiness. They can’t deal with us getting him. https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/37721876/2023-nba-draft-hypothetical-trades-wembanyama

spurraider21
05-25-2023, 07:37 PM
ESPN and the rest of the mainstream sports media will continue to hate on the Spurs. Shit, ESPN just put up an article about proposed trades each team would need to offer to take Wembanyama off our hands. That’s REAL saltiness. They can’t deal with us getting him. https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/37721876/2023-nba-draft-hypothetical-trades-wembanyama
theres worse stuff out there tbh

there was an article on The Athletic about scenarios for the rockets to trade out of #4 and they were hilariously bad. like... keldon johnson for #4 overall + a future top 3 protected pick, etc. and that was far from the worst :lol

baseline bum
05-25-2023, 07:39 PM

there was an article on The Athletic about scenarios for the rockets to trade out of #4 and they were hilariously bad. like... keldon johnson for #4 overall + a future top 3 protected pick, etc. and that was far from the worst :lol

Meh I'll give them Tre Jones and the Charlotte pick tbh

Leetonidas
05-25-2023, 07:53 PM
Hopefully wemby can up spurs games rating and more national tv apperances.

For sure....Spurs will probably have at least 25 national TV games this season

Mr. Body
05-25-2023, 07:56 PM

My theory is sports media has been generated by AI for a while now.

JPB
05-25-2023, 09:01 PM
ESPN has been pimping and featuring Wemby for months, with recaps and highlights from his games. And windhorst has been on Vic's ass also for months in Paris. they're just teasing and pleasing the rest of the disappointed fans with trades everyone knows (as they also add) will never happen...

Some ESPN article says many GMs are conscious of how important Wemby is for the future of the NBA and "happy" he's in good hands in SA. Expect him and the spurs to be media cash cows for now on... Lebron is on his last legs, Same for Curry and Durant, they need some new face... that's a reason why I hope spurs try to quickly build a competitive team... Make the best of all that attention (fans, sponsors but also players throughout the league), don't let it fade with a crappy team.

Ariel
05-25-2023, 09:21 PM
My theory is sports media has been generated by AI for a while now.
The level of content is too low and formulaic to support your conjecture.

Mr. Body
05-25-2023, 09:24 PM
ESPN has been pimping and featuring Wemby for months, with recaps and highlights from his games. And windhorst has been on Vic's ass also for months in Paris. they're just teasing and pleasing the rest of the disappointed fans with trades everyone knows (as they also add) will never happen...

Some ESPN article says many GMs are conscious of how important Wemby is for the future of the NBA and "happy" he's in good hands in SA. Expect him and the spurs to be media cash cows for now on... Lebron is on his last legs, Same for Curry and Durant, they need some new face... that's a reason why I hope spurs try to quickly build a competitive team... Make the best of all that attention (fans, sponsors but also players throughout the league), don't let it fade with a crappy team.

The problem is Popavich will keep the media away. Hence I expect an assassination.

tim_duncan_fan
05-25-2023, 09:27 PM
Honestly, give up on the "top free agent" chases.

The worst of it presumably being over, I am glad KD, Kyrie, etc team-jumpers didn't come here.

K...
05-25-2023, 09:34 PM
The problem is Popavich will keep the media away. Hence I expect an assassination.

pop has been a media whore for like ten years, you jsut have to understand his MO, don't ask cliché questions, don't over emphasize in game interviews, let the players take the spotlight.

Obstructed_View
05-25-2023, 10:29 PM
Let's put it this way: ESPN currently has an article about the best places for San Antonio to trade Wembanyama. They are already lotioning up their sock at the possibility of avoiding Spurs playoff games.

Ariel
05-25-2023, 11:00 PM
FA class of '25 has Giannis (PO), Jayson Tatum, Lauri Markkanen, Brandon Ingram, OG Anunoby, Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray, Derrick White, Myles Turner, etc.
FA class of '26 has Luka (PO), SGA, Jaren Jackson Jr, Bam Adebayo, De'Aaron Fox, Mikal Bridges, Jarrett Allen, etc.
If the Spurs play their cards right and develop a good young core around Wemby without committing too much salary for the next couple of years, I like our chances as probably a few top FAs (Giannis, Luka, JJJ) will be looking for a new home as their old teams implode (Milwaukee, hopefully Dallas & Memphis). San Antonio might not be a traditional FA destination, but I like our chances if there's a competitive team in place, after all Jason Kidd was an All NBA player and came within a hair of signing, and LaMarcus Aldridge was a pretty significant free agent as well.

CGD
05-26-2023, 09:19 AM
My hope is that SA becomes France’s “team” and that the brand becomes something more global. They have the best international talent at the moment (maybe better than US here soon).

Obstructed_View
05-26-2023, 02:22 PM
My hope is that SA becomes France’s “team” and that the brand becomes something more global. They have the best international talent at the moment (maybe better than US here soon).

Between Bowen, Parker, Bobo, and now Wemby, the Spurs are pretty well France's team.

BackHome
05-26-2023, 02:37 PM
You all ready know ESPN woke ass can not wait until he is up for contract then your going to see hard press to get him to move to LaLA land. Be ready for a whole bunch of fake stories making us look bad and how him moving to the Flakers makes perfect sense and they will throw out how much more money he can make in endorsements in La

exstatic
05-26-2023, 02:42 PM
You all ready know ESPN woke ass can not wait until he is up for contract then your going to see hard press to get him to move to LaLA land. Be ready for a whole bunch of fake stories making us look bad and how him moving to the Flakers makes perfect sense and they will throw out how much more money he can make in endorsements in La

He has probably the Spur friendliest agent possible. Wemby isn’t an American kid, so he isn’t dazzled by LA. Lakers have been almost continuously trash since Kobe’s last two years. They’re going to crash flat about the time he’ll be signing his Super Max extension in SA.

Thomas82
05-26-2023, 02:52 PM
OKC became popular due to Durant/Westbrook/Harden and those fans have stuck with them, despite being, y'know, a shithole state.

Brian Windhorst is already detaching himself from LeBron's ass and flew out to interview Wemby moments after the draft lottery.

Don't be surprised if Windhorst moves to San Antonio. LMAO

Pauleta14
05-26-2023, 09:25 PM
Between Bowen, Parker, Bobo, and now Wemby, the Spurs are pretty well France's team.

+Nando Ian Joffrey Livio

Obstructed_View
05-29-2023, 09:05 AM
Final word on this question: there has been an article on ESPN about Victor for the last week. Is the picture showing Victor blocking a shot? Grabbing a rebound? Throwing down a dunk? Some other game action shot like they have put on the hundred articles about him the last year?

No, the picture is of him sitting on the court, shrugging his shoulders, complaining to the officials. Because he's a Spur now. They will do this until Victor is in literally any other NBA city.