PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson says…

stephen jackson
10-11-2022, 11:34 AM
The spurs system holds players games back , do y’all agree I kinda do, I’m tired of this system no one will ever want to come here.
examples
dj
kawhi
jack himself
derozan

45:50 mark

https://youtu.be/pcC308Ayyec

he also implies Tony and manu couldn’t lead their own team to the playoffs if they had the chance

exstatic
10-11-2022, 11:36 AM
Oh wow, a fake player account. That’s fresh and never been done before.

stephen jackson
10-11-2022, 11:36 AM
He’s just was my favorite spur at the time if you must know

KingKev
10-11-2022, 11:40 AM
I’d say there is an element of that however those are also the same guys they helped develop so it’s not that simple.

Alot of hate on the board for Stack but there are many reasons he ans Barnes have the best podcast despite being role players through their careers.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-11-2022, 11:42 AM
Dude's still salty as fuck :lmao

stephen jackson
10-11-2022, 11:43 AM
How much credit can we take for dj and kawhi I mean those guys worked hard to become great. Just didn’t have spurs attitudes, whatever that means

KingKev
10-11-2022, 11:54 AM
How much credit can we take for dj and kawhi I mean those guys worked hard to become great. Just didn’t have spurs attitudes, whatever that means

They absolutely did.

Stack is one of my favourite players of all time. DJ easily my most recent favourite Spur.

Leonard and DJ worked their damn assess off but I feel they outgrew the Spurs truthfully. Leonard came into a great situation to establish his career. DJ less so.

Either way we have a culture issue so the point we are talent averse.

daslicer
10-11-2022, 12:07 PM
I’d say there is an element of that however those are also the same guys they helped develop so it’s not that simple.

Alot of hate on the board for Stack but there are many reasons he ans Barnes have the best podcast despite being role players through their careers.

I would say no. I see no substance to be gained from their podcast it's pretty much the same as the knuckle heads, JJ Reddick's podcast.

The Truth #6
10-11-2022, 12:13 PM
Hard to say. In SA, Pop has the ability to do whatever he wants, and so he limits players to his style but that means a team concept almost always. If we are holding players back, it's hard for to see it other than promoting a team concept of sharing. Obviously, lots of players want to be in more control and do what the fuck they want. Also true, that Pop limits minutes in arbitrary ways at times, and so I agree with that part, but I don't agree that Pop held back Kawhi or DDR. Hell no. The last season for both of them, they were both pounding the ball constantly.

I didn't hear the episode, so I'm assuming that some of what I am speculating on that he said might not be what he said exactly.

stephen jackson
10-11-2022, 12:18 PM
They absolutely did.

Stack is one of my favourite players of all time. DJ easily my most recent favourite Spur.

Leonard and DJ worked their damn assess off but I feel they outgrew the Spurs truthfully. Leonard came into a great situation to establish his career. DJ less so.

Either way we have a culture issue so the point we are talent averse.

the culture only works when you have three superstars that fall in line and tbh international, I don’t wanna turn it into a race issue but pop has never connected with black urban players, elephant in the room

daslicer
10-11-2022, 12:19 PM
Now I will say the Spurs do hold back players offensively. For example, LMA's scoring dropped the first years he was here from Portland. The same can be said about Demar. The league and media measures most star players by how much they are scoring. So, I can understand players frustration in playing for Pop because they know their offense will take a hit which will result in the way they are perceived by the media which in return can lower their value.

Trill Clinton
10-11-2022, 12:25 PM
Stak5 is the saltiest most bitter ex-Spur in franchise history. DJ, Kawhi and many others have developed into All stars and superstars in this system.

BillMc
10-11-2022, 12:27 PM
Dude's still salty as fuck :lmao

Yep. And Manu just made the Hall. :rollin

daslicer
10-11-2022, 12:27 PM
Stak5 is the saltiest most bitter ex-Spur in franchise history. DJ, Kawhi and many others have developed into All stars and superstars in this system.

He's a clown. I don't know how anybody can take him seriously after Kwame Brown exposed him last year.

BillMc
10-11-2022, 12:31 PM
However, there is somesort of disconnect in the post Tim/Tony/Manu era. The biggest FA we ever signed (LMA) wasn't happy. Our best inhouse player post big 3 (Kawhi) wanted out. And even Dejounte, who the spurs developed into a a good player, said some stuff on the way out. I think the Team-First mentality of Robinson and Duncan and Manu is hard to duplicate. And when you're not winning multiple rings players want their numbers.

Still, Jack is salty as they come.

stephen jackson
10-11-2022, 12:31 PM
Robert horry is saltier honestly, jack still praises pop and Timmy all the time just not Tony and manu

daslicer
10-11-2022, 12:36 PM
However, there is somesort of disconnect in the post Tim/Tony/Manu era. The biggest FA we ever signed (LMA) wasn't happy. Our best inhouse player post big 3 (Kawhi) wanted out. And even Dejounte, who the spurs developed into a a good player, said some stuff on the way out. I think the Team-First mentality of Robinson and Duncan and Manu is hard to duplicate. And when you're not winning multiple rings players want their numbers.

Agreed I think having team first attitude is hard to replicate with American players. You look at the stars who tend to be team first in this league and they tend to be foreign guys such as Jokic, Giannis. You have Curry who I will say is team first but there is no other American star I can think of that is truly team first.

The Truth #6
10-11-2022, 12:45 PM
I do think it’s true that Pop’s playcalling or rigid set play system might be an issue with players, and it came up in the Olympics to be honest, so I can see that, that maybe players want more freedom in the sort of plays and system they work under. But again that still just might mean that stars wanna control the ball more and not have to actually, you know, pass it to somebody else.

Currently, the system is supposedly Junior High level and much more simple.

BillMc
10-11-2022, 12:48 PM
Robert horry is saltier honestly, jack still praises pop and Timmy all the time just not Tony and manu
True. Horry even has taken shots at Timmy for some reason.

John B
10-11-2022, 12:48 PM
Players who like to play hero ball, yup that's the kind of attitude that you would get, "getting held back." But for Timmy, TP and Manu, they knew it takes a team to win championships, and it means making sacrifices, "getting held back."

Jack said Pop only allowed certain type of players to mix it up, the Big 3. Damn, Manu had to come off the bench! What's he talking about? Yes, Manu had the green light, but he was coming off the bench, freaking sacrificed his overall stats, but got 4 rings. Likewise, Timmy and Tony could've scored more, rebounded more, had they were playing hero ball, but championships? Maybe not.

Spurs held players back. Nah, Spurs put players to fit in a team. And for players like Gary Neal, Jonathon Simmons? Maybe they would've not played in the NBA, but they found roles in the Spurs system. Danny Green, Bruce Bowen won championships playing "roles", where Spurs system identified their best suited skills to contribute to the team.

Nah, Captain Jack was wrong on that take, or not complete. I think I heard from Kenny Smith or here in ST, that Spurs system will not force you to do outside of your comfort zone, not leaving players to fail doing too much. Players don't need to be great at everything, just certain ones that they can master. Now if you're Kobe, KD or Lebron, then be it. But if you're Steve Kerr, practice your shots and make sure you sink those when open.

DJ is all hype. I still think he's a system player. Let's see when reality hits his face :lol

Leetonidas
10-11-2022, 12:51 PM
Kawhi became a superstar here
DeRozan had his best seasons here
LMAs peak was here
DJ became an All star here

This clown is still asshurt about 2013. He really needs to stfu already

Harry Callahan
10-11-2022, 01:04 PM

US based players are the ones with the problem when you mention, DJ, Dirtbag, and LMA. Jackson was a malcontent overall - Pop tossed Jackson out when it became clear he could not stand playing second fiddle to Manu AND Number 2.

BillMc
10-11-2022, 01:05 PM
LMAs peak was here

Agreed. Yes, LMA's scoring dropped from Portland (which is what made him unhappy) BUT

His first year he was incredibly efficient, and All-NBA 3rd team. That team was loaded, if Timmy doesn't injure that final knee who knows what happens.

His secong year, they make the NBA West Finals, LMA's deepest playoff run. Despite that he asked to be traded after the season.

In terms of team success, those were LMA's two best years and he was the teams 2nd best player. So, I agree with you. But LMA probably wouldn't. He preferred Portland usage rates.

heyheymymy
10-11-2022, 01:33 PM
lol man 5 rings and that's with "holding people back" so what, if SA didn't hold players back the team would have 10 rings? 10 rings in 20 years? Who else even has that? How is that even remotely realistic?

So what you are saying is BOSS POP was going easy on the league so as to not completely dominate?

man holding players back but he turned Reno Bighorns reject even peaking Bron couldn't make use of into a NBA Finals record holder and NBA CHAMPION?

I tremble to think of the league wide destruction if pop system DIDN'T hold players back.

cd98
10-11-2022, 01:35 PM
Yes, it was amazing to watch Stephen Jackson leave S.A. and become a multi-time all-star and carry teams to the championships. Boy the Spurs were really holding him back...

Except no, he was the guy that loved basketball so much and honored the game so much that he admitted to smoking weed before the game and taking shots that sometimes hit the side of the backboard. Say what you want about his tough streak, when it comes to greatness, he only got a whiff of it from his time in S.A. soaking it up from all the future HOFs.

itzsoweezee
10-11-2022, 01:36 PM
LMAs peak was here

Completely agree. How many players left the spurs and became suddenly better? Maybe Jackson? We’ll see about dejounte, but I doubt very much he suddenly becomes an efficient shooter. LW seems to be the same player on the lakers that he was on the spurs.

So many of these role players gripe about their roles on the Spurs and end up no better on other teams. I can think of De Colo, Dedmon, Simmons, the list goes on.

They reason Jackson was stuck as a limited role player in San Antonio was because there were better players than him on the roster.

heyheymymy
10-11-2022, 01:38 PM
man 71% win percentage good for 4 sport historic best all time winningest franchise by % during the timeframe and this was with HOLDIN BACK?

meanwhile Captn couldn't even bust the rotation past G League Green/Grandpa Ginobili.

Maybe Captin Jack was the one who was HOLDNG BACK huh?

heyheymymy
10-11-2022, 01:39 PM
mad because the game had passed you by but don't take that out on SA, bud

ChumpDumper
10-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Sure, when a role-level player is made to play a role he's not going to reach his absolute full potential as a player. Every player wants to maximize his role and stats to get the most money in a short career -- it's simply not going to happen for every NBA player because so few are true star-level players. Jack certainly wasn't when he was a Spur.

The Truth #6
10-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Ironically, he could have been one of our all time role players.

exstatic
10-11-2022, 01:54 PM

So.Much.This.

Kawhi in another system could very well have been MKG. He was given the space and time in THE SYSTEM do develop without pressure to carry a team.

exstatic
10-11-2022, 01:59 PM
Ironically, he could have been one of our all time role players.

Naw. He’s like Kanye level dumb. Walked out on a championship team and a 3/$9M offer to play for ATL for 1/$1M. If he had been injured, it would likely have been the end of his career. Then,he was a huge problem child his second time. He would never have been an all time anything here, because he caused too many problems.

heyheymymy
10-11-2022, 02:04 PM
I remember Kawhi being projected as a slightly wealthier man's Gerald Wallace lol

people forget the first few seasons KL had a shit wonkey release and couldn't hit FTs was barely a corner 3 threat etc raw as fuck

Hat's off to Leonard for his dedication in the gym and yeah KL did the work and you can't take that away from him. But shit, I'm sure the development helped not to mention dropping into the WCF right away surrounded with HOF mentors. Give SA system, situation and development some credit too, you know.

KingKev
10-11-2022, 02:19 PM
Horry/Stack top 25 all-time Spurs

The Truth #6
10-11-2022, 02:32 PM
Naw. He’s like Kanye level dumb. Walked out on a championship team and a 3/$9M offer to play for ATL for 1/$1M. If he had been injured, it would likely have been the end of his career. Then,he was a huge problem child his second time. He would never have been an all time anything here, because he caused too many problems.

If he committed to being a Spur, then he could have been a great role player. I’m talking about opportunity and another path he could have taken.

exstatic
10-11-2022, 02:42 PM
If he committed to being a Spur, then he could have been a great role player. I’m talking about opportunity and another path he could have taken.

People are who they are. He could never do that, because he’s not that person. He’s angry and self absorbed to the point of thinking he was better than Manu.

KingKev
10-11-2022, 02:43 PM

He bet on himself and got a 6yr 40mm contract after that 1yr deal. Everyone has different risk tolerances.

Cabrito
10-11-2022, 02:46 PM
The triangle offense limited Jordan and Pippen. They also didn’t win championships before implementing. The same with Kobe and Shaq.

The Truth #6
10-11-2022, 02:49 PM
People are who they are. He could never do that, because he’s not that person. He’s angry and self absorbed to the point of thinking he was better than Manu.

I know what happened. I’ve been a fan for awhile. That wasn’t my point.

lefty20
10-11-2022, 02:59 PM
Wait, wasn't Jackson let go because Spurs favored Nephew and Verde over him?

So he bitched about Spurs not wanting to hold them back when he was here.

Now he's bitching about Spurs holding players back :rollin

Leetonidas
10-11-2022, 03:18 PM
Agreed. Yes, LMA's scoring dropped from Portland (which is what made him unhappy) BUT

His first year he was incredibly efficient, and All-NBA 3rd team. That team was loaded, if Timmy doesn't injure that final knee who knows what happens.

His secong year, they make the NBA West Finals, LMA's deepest playoff run. Despite that he asked to be traded after the season.

In terms of team success, those were LMA's two best years and he was the teams 2nd best player. So, I agree with you. But LMA probably wouldn't. He preferred Portland usage rates.

idk, LMA's best overall season, imho, was in 2018 without Kawhi. he absolutely put SA on his back and carried them to the playoffs. He was a legitimate MVP candidate that season

Leetonidas
10-11-2022, 03:22 PM
Completely agree. How many players left the spurs and became suddenly better? Maybe Jackson? We’ll see about dejounte, but I doubt very much he suddenly becomes an efficient shooter. LW seems to be the same player on the lakers that he was on the spurs.

So many of these role players gripe about their roles on the Spurs and end up no better on other teams. I can think of De Colo, Dedmon, Simmons, the list goes on.

They reason Jackson was stuck as a limited role player in San Antonio was because there were better players than him on the roster.

Yep. DeRozan after SA? scored more PPG but down everywhere else and after a hot start to the season, the Bulls really struggled in the second half of the season and got embarrassed in the playoffs (yet again). Kawhi, while he did win a ring in 2019 on a stacked, ready to go team against a severely injured Warriors team, has played in like 100 something games in 4 seasons since then :lol he also blew a 3-1 lead in the playoffs and didnt play at all in 2022. And we all know how LMAs career ended :lol

This notion that guys get better after leaving SA is complete BS when you actual look into it for 5 mins. Sadly in the era of hot takes people just run with the BS

spurraider21
10-11-2022, 03:36 PM
hes still mad that TOSB manu was a better player than he was :lol

Mr. Body
10-11-2022, 03:59 PM
There are basically two types of good NBA player. These aren't my terms:

1. The 'instinctual' type. Guys ike LaMello Ball and Stephen Jackson who are capable of tremendous play due to incredible skill and native talent. They make a lot of fans and in the right situations can win games that matter.

2. The 'academy' type. Guys like Chris Paul and Tim Duncan who study the game and work out how plays can happen or fall apart, body positioning on handling the ball and rebounding, etc.

The second type can overcome athletic limitations. They are often considered boring, but not always.

The first type often get a lot of press and ESPN adulation but they plateau as actual basketball players.

Playground basketball, you win by flash and individual excellence.

NBA basketball, you win by winning more possessions than the other guys. This takes going into the trenches and digging things out by repetition, variation, being cerebral and understanding what's going on. It requires grit.

There has NEVER been a championship team lead by an 'instinctual' basketball player. Jordan, Curry, etc., were flashy, but they put the work in.

Stephen Jackson never put the work in. Once the left the Spurs his career barely mattered. He's still running his mouth, though. I will say the Spurs' style requires academy type players. Other guys struggle because they don't want to work at it.

KingKev
10-11-2022, 04:26 PM
^ LOL that simple eh.

Teams need many types of players to win titles. 03’ Spurs probably don’t win without Stack but I agree he was no superstar.

K...
10-11-2022, 04:34 PM
^ LOL that simple eh.

Teams need many types of players to win titles. 03’ Spurs probably don’t win without Stack but I agree he was no superstar.

You replace stack with Brent barry and its also true.

RC_Drunkford
10-11-2022, 04:43 PM
by that logic every team holds its players back because the top 2-3 players of the team get the most shots no matter where you go

KingKev
10-11-2022, 04:50 PM
You replace stack with Brent barry and its also true.

Not a chance. Stack was 10x more clutch plus bigger, stronger, tougher and a better defender throughout his career.

Atl Spur
10-11-2022, 04:56 PM
Not even worth debating……….. we are blessed to have this franchise as fans! Everyone wants to be us except us!!:)

KingKev
10-11-2022, 04:58 PM
Not even worth debating……….. we are blessed to have this franchise as fans! Everyone wants to be us except us!!:)

You are living in the past.

TD 21
10-11-2022, 06:42 PM
the culture only works when you have three superstars that fall in line and tbh international, I don’t wanna turn it into a race issue but pop has never connected with black urban players, elephant in the room

Yeah, those guys came from different eras and cultures.

For the most part, the guys who want to play here are suburban white, biracial and/or European. That obviously significantly limits the talent pool.

All this talk of "freedom" is essentially code for the environment not being inner-city black enough, unlike the majority of the NBA.

Leetonidas
10-11-2022, 06:45 PM
Pop and DJ always had a close relationship. So the idea that pop can't connect isn't totally true. Regardless of Spurs trading DJ and his comments on social media I fully believe he and Pops relationship was never an issue

KingKev
10-11-2022, 06:52 PM
Yeah, those guys came from different eras and cultures.

For the most part, the guys who want to play here are suburban white, biracial and/or European. That obviously significantly limits the talent pool.

All this talk of "freedom" is essentially code for the environment not being inner-city black enough, unlike the majority of the NBA.

Lol you sound like coach Pop if he was less politically correct…. “dem dark skinned urban boys need me”

I never understood your weird infatuation with separating mixed races with inner city blacks or however you wanna put it.

In Pop’s defence he doesn’t discriminate against race he will make anyone a good boy no matter race, religion or socio economic background.

Where my ST posters at who think Manu is European?!? You are probably one of them.

Jordan Jackson
10-11-2022, 06:53 PM
Pretty ironic to complain about the spurs holding players back. Jax has built an entire career on the whole “I played for the Spurs” gimmick.

KingKev
10-11-2022, 07:00 PM
Pretty ironic to complain about the spurs holding players back. Jax has built an entire career on the whole “I played for the Spurs” gimmick.

He actually is most proud of his “We Believe Warriors” and considers himself a Warrior first and foremost.

He did have ice in his veins during that 03 run and was one of few players who showed up in the OKC series in 2012.

Leetonidas
10-11-2022, 07:09 PM
He actually is most proud of his “We Believe Warriors” and considers himself a Warrior first and foremost.

He did have ice in his veins during that 03 run and was one of few players who showed up in the OKC series in 2012.

That's pretty pathetic that he considers getting to the 2nd round his crowning achievement and kinda speaks to what a selfish turd he is

KingKev
10-11-2022, 07:13 PM
That's pretty pathetic that he considers getting to the 2nd round his crowning achievement and kinda speaks to what a selfish turd he is

No you are just another hater.

He considers that his favourite team because of the brotherhood, camaraderie and the way that organization and the fans treated him over those years and till this day. He still has great things to say about the Spurs also and remains close friends with RC’s son.

Always speaks TD and DRob’s praises. Has great things to say about Malik Rose and Bruce Bowen also.

Leetonidas
10-11-2022, 07:22 PM
No you are just another hater.

He considers that his favourite team because of the brotherhood, camaraderie and the way that organization and the fans treated him over those years and till this day. He still has great things to say about the Spurs also and remains close friends with RC’s son.

Always speaks TD and DRob’s praises. Has great things to say about Malik Rose and Bruce Bowen also.

Awfully presumptuous tbh. Lol "another hater" :lol

I don't hate Jack. I appreciate his time here. All I said was he should stfu and stop being asshurt about 2013. Perhaps I was being presumptuous in assuming his reasoning was related to his personal performance. But regardless there was plenty of that here and he chose not to be a part of it because of his ego. Not even really debatable imho

ChumpDumper
10-11-2022, 07:24 PM
He actually is most proud of his “We Believe Warriors” and considers himself a Warrior first and foremost. Of course because he wasn't treated like a role player there. The results speak for themselves.

GAustex
10-11-2022, 07:50 PM
Yep Tim Duncan is the difference

stephen jackson
10-11-2022, 07:58 PM
I wonder if malaki and Blake are next I hope not and they become our future backcourt and change this narrative

tmtcsc
10-11-2022, 07:59 PM
The spurs system holds players games back , do y’all agree I kinda do, I’m tired of this system no one will ever want to come here.
examples
dj
kawhi
jack himself
derozan

he also implies Tony and manu couldn’t lead their own team to the playoffs if they had the chance

Manu led his Argentine National team to an Olympic Gold Medal & just joined 2 former teammates (David Robinson & Tim Duncan) by being inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame. Another former teammate - Tony Parker will most likely make it to the NBA HOF as well. Before nephew was traded he won 2 DPOY, a Finals MVP and a Championship with the Spurs. He'll also be a HOF'er. You "kinda agree" with Stephen Jackson that the Spurs' system holds players' games back? Help me understand. -- Help me understand why you would believe anything that dufus would have to say about the Spurs. He was cut for sleeping with Tim Duncan's soon to be ex-wife, not because he couldn't bring himself to admit that "was less talented than Danny Green and Manu Ginobili". The same Private Investigator who was compiling evidence to show Amy was cheating on Tim with her personal trainer, also found out she was seeing Jackson on the side.

No, the Spurs' organization doesn't hold any players' games back. They do frown on Social Media self-promotion for sure & don't give a rat's ass about players' "personal brands".

By the way - DJ & Derozan will most likely never win a chip & if it wasn't for the Spurs, Jackson's dumbass wouldn't have one either.

KingKev
10-11-2022, 08:03 PM
Can we all agree nobody is holding anyone back on this current roster LOL

stephen jackson
10-11-2022, 08:04 PM
Manu led his Argentine National team to an Olympic Gold Medal & just joined 2 former teammates (David Robinson & Tim Duncan) by being inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame. Another former teammate - Tony Parker will most likely make it to the NBA HOF as well. Before nephew was traded he won 2 DPOY, a Finals MVP and a Championship with the Spurs. He'll also be a HOF'er. You "kinda agree" with Stephen Jackson that the Spurs' system holds players' games back? Help me understand. -- Help me understand why you would believe anything that dufus would have to say about the Spurs. He was cut for sleeping with Tim Duncan's soon to be ex-wife, not because he couldn't bring himself to admit that "was less talented than Danny Green and Manu Ginobili". The same Private Investigator who was compiling evidence to show Amy was cheating on Tim with her personal trainer, also found out she was seeing Jackson on the side.

No, the Spurs' organization doesn't hold any players' games back. They do frown on Social Media self-promotion for sure & don't give a rat's ass about players' "personal brands".

By the way - DJ & Derozan will most likely never win a chip & if it wasn't for the Spurs, Jackson's dumbass wouldn't have one either.

Jack banged Timmy’s wife ? Wtf never heard this

tmtcsc
10-11-2022, 08:13 PM
Jack banged Timmy’s wife ? Wtf never heard this

Deep insider info there from a person in the organization who blabbed that shit when drunk. Pop may not have even told Jackson the real reason he was cut - other than they needed to move on from him. It was the same year the Spurs lost to the Heat in the Finals. You won't find it anywhere online and people in the organization would most likely deny it - if they had any knowledge of it. If the media knew or got wind of it, they never wrote about it. TP's crap was bad enough but he wasn't about to be cut for his tryst with Barry's wife.

Hey fat-ass Don Harris, don't take this story and run with it. Clown.

ducks
10-11-2022, 10:24 PM
If the spurs system was working and they made the extra pass yes it holds some players back

TD 21
10-11-2022, 11:12 PM
Lol you sound like coach Pop if he was less politically correct…. “dem dark skinned urban boys need me”

I never understood your weird infatuation with separating mixed races with inner city blacks or however you wanna put it.

In Pop’s defence he doesn’t discriminate against race he will make anyone a good boy no matter race, religion or socio economic background.

Where my ST posters at who think Manu is European?!? You are probably one of them.

Maybe that's because he's an old white guy and I'm not.

:lmao At a white guy from Canada lecturing me on race. I'm saying these ignorant things because unfortunately colorism is alive and well in the "black community". Many inner-city blacks consider biracial or "light-skins" to not be "black" enough for them.

He doesn't discriminate against race, but the Spurs are clearly the Duke of the NBA. They've mostly tried to stay away from inner-city blacks, especially the stereotypical types which is why the majority of those types can't stand the Spurs.

slick'81
10-11-2022, 11:15 PM
Deep insider info there from a person in the organization who blabbed that shit when drunk. Pop may not have even told Jackson the real reason he was cut - other than they needed to move on from him. It was the same year the Spurs lost to the Heat in the Finals. You won't find it anywhere online and people in the organization would most likely deny it - if they had any knowledge of it. If the media knew or got wind of it, they never wrote about it. TP's crap was bad enough but he wasn't about to be cut for his tryst with Barry's wife.

Hey fat-ass Don Harris, don't take this story and run with it. Clown.

holy shit! Never heard that 1

goliath
10-11-2022, 11:31 PM
I had heard the same rumor about Jackson and Tim’s soon to be ex. Also heard that was the real reason he was cut right before the playoffs.

Proxy
10-12-2022, 02:39 AM
Jax got a great podcast, he isn't a coach. maybe there aren't enough players with the mindset to prioritize the system over having fun anymore, but Kawhi hit his prime in that system :wakeup

timtonymanu
10-12-2022, 03:03 AM
Jack says this when after the time he was cut, the Spurs system turned Diaw from an unmotivated fatty in Charlotte to the stud he was in 2014.
Mills was also another fatty (according to Pop too :lol) that turned his career around on the Spurs. Danny was known as LeBron's dancing partner before he turned into an elite role player on the Spurs.

Leonard had like a Shawn Marion ceiling at best before he was drafted. Even with that, his injury issues still loom and would have been an issue on this team as well.

Jack left cause he wanted to be better elsewhere. :lol One hot season with the Warriors where he didn't even make the all-star team but he's basically been a journeyman who is toxic. Jack's a bridge burner. I remember he was on bad terms with the Warriors too before we traded RJ for him. He's a role player who thinks he's a superstar.

cd98
10-12-2022, 04:23 PM
How long do you think that Stephen Jackson is going to hold a grudge for the Spurs picking Manu and Parker over him?

daslicer
10-12-2022, 05:06 PM
How long do you think that Stephen Jackson is going to hold a grudge for the Spurs picking Manu and Parker over him?

For the rest of his life.

KingKev
10-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Maybe that's because he's an old white guy and I'm not.

:lmao At a white guy from Canada lecturing me on race. I'm saying these ignorant things because unfortunately colorism is alive and well in the "black community". Many inner-city blacks consider biracial or "light-skins" to not be "black" enough for them.

He doesn't discriminate against race, but the Spurs are clearly the Duke of the NBA. They've mostly tried to stay away from inner-city blacks, especially the stereotypical types which is why the majority of those types can't stand the Spurs.

lol but you yellow or brown. Educate us on light skinned dudes. Pls.

J_Paco
10-12-2022, 10:45 PM
For the rest of his life.

Which is crazy cause he made the decision to leave the first time and was clearly washed the second. I loved SJax and his game, but his constant crying and alleged indiscretion has really sored me to him over the years.

daslicer
10-13-2022, 12:40 AM
Which is crazy cause he made the decision to leave the first time and was clearly washed the second. I loved SJax and his game, but his constant crying and alleged indiscretion has really sored me to him over the years.

He's delusional he won't stop trashing people until they fight back. The fight between him and Kwame Brown on YouTube showed how he won't back down until he's completely humiliated. Kwame trashed him badly every day for 7-9 months and Jax kept coming back for more until it was clear after several months, he was not going to win in an insult war with Kwame. He ended up apologizing to Kwame not because he wanted to but because he wanted Kwame to stop humiliating him. That showed to me this man is profoundly stupid and won't stop until he gets humiliated a bunch of times.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-13-2022, 01:12 AM
Stephen Jackson can suck my balls.

TD 21
10-13-2022, 04:06 PM
lol but you yellow or brown. Educate us on light skinned dudes. Pls.

:lmao At constantly fishing for personal information and continuously guessing incorrectly.

Let's just say I'm almost certainly far more qualified to speak on these issues than you and I don't advocate almost all of what I say on them. I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

diego
10-14-2022, 04:20 PM

except all of DJ, jax, leonard had very good relationships with him, stephen jackson especially, as talented as he was dude was about to go back to the venezuelan league if pop, tim and david didnt teach him to be a pro. he clearly built up leonard and DJ as well. Did he also have a lot of friction with a lot of players, yes, and do some people have a harder time accepting a reduced role, definitely, but Im not really seeing why its an issue with black "urban" players. I dont remember the same kind of relationship with derozan, but even when he recently complained about his time here I dont recall anything about pop, and of course pop always showered him with praise while he was here.

Every player that goes to a stacked team has his numbers go down. Love in cleveland, bosh in miami, wade in miami even his numbers were much less than when he was a first round exit franchise player, the celtics big 3, i havent looked at GS numbers with and without KD but i suspect all of curry/klay/kd had their numbers go down... its inevitable

and jax is insanely bitter, he hurt the team with his antics if he was half as good as he thought he was the team would have won a championship that year, it wasnt pop holding him back on the clippers and bucks.

diego
10-14-2022, 04:26 PM
He bet on himself and got a 6yr 40mm contract after that 1yr deal. Everyone has different risk tolerances.

just from nba manu earned 60M more, almost double jackson, despite being underpaid a long time.. if you consider them comparable players, it seems sacrificing for the long run is a better bet

KingKev
10-14-2022, 06:45 PM
just from nba manu earned 60M more, almost double jackson, despite being underpaid a long time.. if you consider them comparable players, it seems sacrificing for the long run is a better bet

Manu was a better player who played longer; of course he earned more. Every situation is different so this is a stupid debate regardless.

exstatic
10-15-2022, 07:09 AM
Pop gives Jack cover with that ridiculous story about him thinking he was better than Manu and Green, when in fact he was fucking Amy Duncan. Jack still trashes Pop. He’s a loser at life.

daslicer
10-15-2022, 05:06 PM
Pop gives Jack cover with that ridiculous story about him thinking he was better than Manu and Green, when in fact he was fucking Amy Duncan. Jack still trashes Pop. He’s a loser at life.

I would say Pop does it protect Tim. I get the feeling Tim wouldn't want the public to know about his ex-wife screwing around with Jax.

exstatic
10-15-2022, 05:15 PM
I would say Pop does it protect Tim. I get the feeling Tim wouldn't want the public to know about his ex-wife screwing around with Jax.

Yeah, but a secondary effect was covering Jacks ass. He doesn’t have to be positive on the Spurs, but trashing Pop just makes himself trash.

daslicer
10-15-2022, 07:23 PM
Yeah, but a secondary effect was covering Jacks ass. He doesn’t have to be positive on the Spurs, but trashing Pop just makes himself trash.

I agree with you.

D-Robinson 50 fan
10-16-2022, 07:24 AM
I thought Tim liked and spoke highly of Stephen Jackson and we’ve heard Jackson show Tim hella love on a consistent basis till this day. Where is this rumor of him messing with Tim’s ex wife coming from? If this was true I would imagine Stephen wouldn’t talk so highly about Tim and would maybe take the Horry route and always take little shots at him

Jackson doesn’t seem like the type to not try and be slick if something like that really happened

exstatic
10-16-2022, 07:44 AM
I thought Tim liked and spoke highly of Stephen Jackson and we’ve heard Jackson show Tim hella love on a consistent basis till this day. Where is this rumor of him messing with Tim’s ex wife coming from? If this was true I would imagine Stephen wouldn’t talk so highly about Tim and would maybe take the Horry route and always take little shots at him

Jackson doesn’t seem like the type to not try and be slick if something like that really happened

Tim talked highly of him his first stint here in 2003. Never heard muchhis second time around. As to Jack speaking highly of Tim, enough time has passed that I think if he didn’t, Tim might be tempted to throw him under the bus, and not be embarrassed any longer.

Ice009
10-16-2022, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I heard that rumour about him with Amy, but if true, why would Jack keep talking highly of TD all the time? Was TD and his wife split up at that point?

exstatic
10-16-2022, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I heard that rumour about him with Amy, but if true, why would Jack keep talking highly of TD all the time? Was TD and his wife split up at that point?

He’s placating Tim, not wanting to be underbussed.

jermaine
10-16-2022, 08:52 AM
I use to love Stak5... He's a wanna be hard old fool now. I just stopped anything surrounding this fool when he so called went to check-in in Chiraq...

lmbebo
10-16-2022, 09:10 AM
His day came and went. He felt he was better than the TP/Manu. He was never to there level. He wasn't wanted by anyone when he returned to the Spurs. He didn't really pan out anywhere else later. He didn't have the personality to accept he was a lesser player. Much like Russ is dealing with now.

He's a bitter player who has a bigger platform to share his resentful opinion now that he was forced into retirement.

TP/Manu/Tim will always be remembered as the Spurs big 3 with multiple championships. He'll be remembered for mall-ace in the palace.

Spurs fever
10-18-2022, 08:33 PM
Jack was and still is one of my favorite Spurs and he would've been a Hall of Famer if he stayed in the system. Unfortunately, he's his own worst enemy. When he came back in (2012 I think) he said he should've never left. After he was cut and signed by the Clippers he again admitted he was wrong and cost himself a championship. Leave him and Becky with the good hair alone lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-23-2022, 01:00 AM
Tim married it ho. It happens to the best of us. Not Timmy’s fault.

DAF86
10-24-2022, 07:29 AM
examples
dj
kawhi
jack himself
derozan

This dumbass can't even keep it consistent within the same topic. He says the Spurs' system holds players back but at the same time says that Manu and Tony couldn't have lead teams to the playoffs. Too retarded to realize it's one or the other. :lol

CGD
10-24-2022, 07:35 AM
It’s pretty amazing that a middling if not largely mediocre player for the totality of his career has stayed relevant all this time. I’m sure there is a critique of the culture somewhere in there, but kudos to the guy for maximizing his earning potential all this time shitty takes aside.

exstatic
10-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Jack was and still is one of my favorite Spurs and he would've been a Hall of Famer if he stayed in the system. Unfortunately, he's his own worst enemy. When he came back in (2012 I think) he said he should've never left. After he was cut and signed by the Clippers he again admitted he was wrong and cost himself a championship. Leave him and Becky with the good hair alone lol

There is no sliver of the multiverse where Jack is ever a HoF player.

exstatic
10-24-2022, 07:41 AM
It’s pretty amazing that a middling if not largely mediocre player for the totality of his career has stayed relevant all this time. I’m sure there is a critique of the culture somewhere in there, but kudos to the guy for maximizing his earning potential all this time shitty takes aside.

Mediocre players/role players like to run their mouths. See: Perkins, Kendrick.

dbestpro
10-24-2022, 08:40 AM

You should not talk about Kenny Smith that way.

rjv
10-24-2022, 10:54 AM
why does anyone think Sjax know anything about basketball that's worth putting any stock into?

exstatic
10-24-2022, 11:18 AM
Mid players with mid takes. They need the money, so they provide the bullshit and drama that the networks demand.

K...
10-24-2022, 12:01 PM
Meanwhile Bruce Bowen is blackballed from the league to speaking truth. More Bruce less Jackson please.....

Trill Clinton
10-24-2022, 12:03 PM
I use to love Stak5... He's a wanna be hard old fool now. I just stopped anything surrounding this fool when he so called went to check-in in Chiraq...

Yea him"checking in" was super lame and just shows how much his street cred means to him. Dude is a millionaire and in his 40s with a hoodrat mindset.