PDA

View Full Version : when do the spurs move to austin?

gambit1990
10-13-2022, 10:56 PM
just curious on y'all takes.

gambit1990
10-13-2022, 10:58 PM
poll closes in 730 days because it should be impossible the move happens within 2 years.

gambit1990
10-13-2022, 11:01 PM
the spurs games in austin this season are gonna be wildly entertaining from a business perspective ...

ChumpDumper
10-14-2022, 01:04 AM
Austin won't pay for an arena. Good luck.

Twisted_Dawg
10-14-2022, 07:17 AM

Round Rock, Williamson County and Michael Dell?

ragas
10-14-2022, 07:39 AM
As soon as Pop retires, the Spurs are on the move.

SpurSpike
10-14-2022, 08:34 AM
There is a proposed bill called the SPURS act (Strengthening Public Understanding for Retaining Sports) that would make it almost impossible if it passes.

The bill would require team owners to give a written notification of intent to move 1 year before relocation. If an owner is to relocate a team they must reimburse the state and local government for financial assistance and incentives provided by them including special tax treatment and financing of arenas. Local governments could then sue the team to recover financial damages from the relocation.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/10/07/congressman-tony-gonzales-introduces-bill-to-keep-spurs-in-san-antonio/

K...
10-14-2022, 09:07 AM
You posted a less funny version of playblairs "give me one reason why the spurs won't move to austin". Playblair is a dumb troll and you couldn't clear that bar? It is with due respect i ask playblair to get your ass for stolen valor

rjv
10-14-2022, 09:12 AM
You posted a less funny version of playblairs "give me one reason why the spurs won't move to austin". Playblair is a dumb troll and you couldn't clear that bar? It is with due respect i ask playblair to get your ass for stolen valor

:bobo

it takes some effort to outdumb playblair.

Leetonidas
10-14-2022, 09:19 AM
Once Spurs get Wemby or Scoot they will be team to watch for the next decade tbh

spurraider21
10-14-2022, 04:48 PM
screw austin, when are they moving to Vegas?

Dex
10-14-2022, 05:08 PM

Can't speak for Dell, but being in RR or Wilco kinda kills the appeal of being the "Austin Spurs". People aren't going to go to a game then drive 30 minutes to get back downtown to party...basically what the Spurs have now.

Austin Spurs already struggle to get attention in Cedar Park as it is even when they are competitive

ChumpDumper
10-14-2022, 07:50 PM

Maybe if there's a Domain-type development nearby it could happen. Dell really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares enough about sports to bother.

City of SA could compete with Round Rock pretty easily if they are so inclined. Not sure what the county would do.

mookie2001
10-14-2022, 08:18 PM
They can put an arena right on sixth street.

Would be tite

Extra Stout
10-14-2022, 10:22 PM
There is a proposed bill called the SPURS act (Strengthening Public Understanding for Retaining Sports) that would make it almost impossible if it passes.

The bill would require team owners to give a written notification of intent to move 1 year before relocation. If an owner is to relocate a team they must reimburse the state and local government for financial assistance and incentives provided by them including special tax treatment and financing of arenas. Local governments could then sue the team to recover financial damages from the relocation.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/10/07/congressman-tony-gonzales-introduces-bill-to-keep-spurs-in-san-antonio/
Where there is smoke there is fire. González would not propose such a bill if the Spurs truly were committed to San Antonio. There must be a deal in development under the table to build an arena either in suburban Austin or in Vegas that he knows about.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-15-2022, 01:07 AM
Can’t one of the other 12 threads about this just be bumped?

This get more lame with every thread that’s started.

TXstbobcat
10-17-2022, 10:15 AM
VIA isn’t offering park and ride for spurs games this season. Not a good sign if there isn’t enough fan support in SA for the city to justify having park and ride service to the games.

skin27
10-17-2022, 11:54 AM
Hopefully spurs consider relocating to austin.

gambit1990
10-17-2022, 11:58 PM
never saw it tbh.

edit: this thread wasn't meant to be funny at all.

gambit1990
10-17-2022, 11:59 PM
screw austin, when are they moving to Vegas?
i'm in austin and might be moving to vegas myself.

gambit1990
10-18-2022, 12:00 AM

rumors must be strong then.

also, how much would the org have to give back vs how much they make in austin ?

Extra Stout
10-18-2022, 12:49 PM
rumors must be strong then.

also, how much would the org have to give back vs how much they make in austin ?

Just because there could be a law doesn’t mean that law would stand up in court.

I go back and forth. I forgot that the Republican Party is now a right-wing populist party rather than a Conservative party, and so political posturing to the masses is even more important than it used to be. So Gonzalez could just be putting on a show for his constituents.

Maybe nothing happens before 2032. At that point, the AT&T Center will be 30 years old, and the Spurs will be one of the few teams not playing in a major entertainment district. That would be the time to make something happen downtown.

Arcadian
10-18-2022, 07:35 PM

Well they just built the Moody Center.

ChumpDumper
10-18-2022, 07:45 PM
Well they just built the Moody Center.That was built with pretty much all private funds in exchange for the private group's getting just about all the operating rights and revenue for a decade.

CGD
10-18-2022, 07:46 PM
Where there is smoke there is fire. González would not propose such a bill if the Spurs truly were committed to San Antonio. There must be a deal in development under the table to build an arena either in suburban Austin or in Vegas that he knows about.

Gonzalez would absolutely propose such a bill that will garner exactly zero votes in Congress. It’s designed to appeal to spurs fans who may consider voting for him in midterms.

vy65
10-18-2022, 08:09 PM

Not a government lawyer, but that doesn't strike me as surviving constitutional scrutiny. Seems like its very much ex post in application.

gambit1990
11-06-2022, 09:27 PM
i really, really have to think the spurs absolutely move to austin as opposed to moving to vegas.

but if the spurs did jolt to vegas, do they keep the spurs name? or make it something more exciting / relevant ?

K...
11-06-2022, 09:31 PM
i really, really have to think the spurs absolutely move to austin as opposed to moving to vegas.

but if the spurs did jolt to vegas, do they keep the spurs name? or make it something more exciting / relevant ?

fuck ypu fuck you fuck yopu

ChumpDumper
11-07-2022, 10:17 AM

You'll still follow them religiously no matter what.:tu

gambit1990
11-08-2022, 12:59 AM
You'll still follow them religiously no matter what.:tu
i really don't.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2022, 01:37 PM
i really don't.What's the name of this message board?

lefty
11-08-2022, 01:52 PM
I voted never, which means they are gonna move eventually

lefty
11-08-2022, 01:54 PM
San Antonio Primos

BackHome
11-08-2022, 06:16 PM
I think the Spurs will eventually move to El Paso, Laredo, McAllen - the NBA really wants that Mexican money and if they have a team close to the border I am pretty sure it would sale out every game and the expensive suites would be bought out in minutes