PDA

View Full Version : Shams: Spurs Waive Joe Weezy

BatManu20
10-17-2022, 02:50 PM
Damn. Was hoping he’d make the team tbh.

lefty20
10-17-2022, 02:52 PM
Writing was on the wall. He looked really bad in his pre-season outings.

Wish him good luck.

Ocotillo
10-17-2022, 02:55 PM
He looked less effective this summer league and pre-season than last year. Best of luck to him.

KingKev
10-17-2022, 02:57 PM
I’m skeptical even year 1 was guaranteed.

rjv
10-17-2022, 02:57 PM
I’m not going to argue with this move. Good luck, Joe.

Leetonidas
10-17-2022, 02:58 PM
Good. He was turrible

KingKev
10-17-2022, 02:58 PM
Langford was easily the best player out of Weezy, Alize and Kuhse so this makes sense.

timvp
10-17-2022, 03:09 PM
I’m skeptical even year 1 was guaranteed.

All the reporting has Lil' Weezy guaranteed $2.675 million over the next two seasons. If that is true, he has one hell of an agent, the Spurs front office wanted to give him a gift or the Spurs front office somehow vastly overrated him. At most, he should have been given ~$500,000 guaranteed in exchange for getting two or three years of contractual control.

These days, $2.675 million is pocket change but it is still annoying to have dead money on the books for this season and next season, tbh.

Overall, though, it was the right choice. There's a 95% chance that Romeo doesn't emerge as anything -- but he's a classic case of if someone can light a fire under him, he could be something. Pop turned Danny Green from a sideshow jumbotron dancer into one of the best role players of all-time and turned Boris Diaw from a slob into a championship killer ... so maybe as a final hurrah he can figure out what Romeo needs to hear to wake him up.

KingKev
10-17-2022, 03:22 PM
All the reporting has Lil' Weezy guaranteed $2.675 million over the next two seasons. If that is true, he has one hell of an agent, the Spurs front office wanted to give him a gift or the Spurs front office somehow vastly overrated him. At most, he should have been given ~$500,000 guaranteed in exchange for getting two or three years of contractual control.

These days, $2.675 million is pocket change but it is still annoying to have dead money on the books for this season and next season, tbh.

Overall, though, it was the right choice. There's a 95% chance that Romeo doesn't emerge as anything -- but he's a classic case of if someone can light a fire under him, he could be something. Pop turned Danny Green from a sideshow jumbotron dancer into one of the best role players of all-time and turned Boris Diaw from a slob into a championship killer ... so maybe as a final hurrah he can figure out what Romeo needs to hear to wake him up.

Agreed everything i’ve read has him guaranteed but accurately reporting on Joe Weezy’s deal is probably not on members of the medias todo list. They get information out like that and move in quick.

Information asymmetry aside, from the outside looking in I can’t see why they would even entertain more than his QO for year 1 to begin with. Maybe they told him and his agent to hold out till late August because they were working other angles with the rest of their cap and that guarantee was a reward?

Or they knew he was about to propose and he has been a culture guy with the youth from day 1 and PATFO have a greater good angle these days I dunno.

Regardless, it’s puzzling and we will probably never know.

Langford was the right choice though. Keep him engaged and he has some real potential.

Chinook
10-17-2022, 03:22 PM

I'm very confident that they gave him money to account for signing a two-way last year. Avoiding doing so again likely played a part in the Spurs dumping their second when they probably would've taken Barlow there without worry. If you take like a million off for last year, you end up with a guaranteed min deal for camp. Not bad. I really wished the Spurs stopped partial guarantees though. They didn't need to reduce his annual salary like with Gasol, so it made no sense.

I'm glad they didn't reward his lack of production though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take Hall's two-way spot, as that guy's been just as unimpressive. I share the hope that Langford takes his second chance seriously, but the Spurs shouldn't be afraid to cut him and continue to hunt prospects. They could use another PG and forward with size who might be around the team after this season.

cd98
10-17-2022, 03:23 PM
Sad day for Joe. He certainly looked bad in the NBA. Classic example of someone that can do well in the G-League, but not the NBA. Bright lights in Europe, I guess. Or maybe China.

Dverde
10-17-2022, 03:43 PM
There are always shooters like Weiskamp available in the second round. Spurs obviously saw something, but he must not be developing as they thought. Cut your losses and try with someone else.

jjspur
10-17-2022, 03:53 PM
Weezy didn't show much during summer league or in preseason so the writing was one the wall. Sucks that it cost the spurs $$$$ to cut him. Langford has more talent but rarely shows it. Maybe pop can lite a fire under his butt to get something out of him or else he's probably next to go as well.

baseline bum
10-17-2022, 03:54 PM
Good. He was turrible

Could have been useful for the tank. Though to be fair most of this roster looks pretty useful for a tank.

The Truth #6
10-17-2022, 04:16 PM
He was supposed to be a good shooter and athlete, but neither translated.

Dex
10-17-2022, 04:23 PM
Good for him on making a paycheck. He is not a good fit for this team or any NBA team...good luck in China

emanueldavidginobili
10-17-2022, 04:26 PM
He looked less effective this summer league and pre-season than last year. Best of luck to him.

Weezy didn't show much during summer league or in preseason so the writing was one the wall. Sucks that it cost the spurs $$$$ to cut him. Langford has more talent but rarely shows it. Maybe pop can lite a fire under his butt to get something out of him or else he's probably next to go as well.

He didn't play a single second in the Summer League.

CGD
10-17-2022, 04:27 PM
Indiana, Utah or Boston will give him a look.

Feels like if Romeo’s salary wasn’t as high, he would’ve been the cut.

John B
10-17-2022, 04:36 PM
And he just got married too. But as everybody mentioned, he didn’t really show anything to give him a roster spot.

This is another Combine standout but failed to make it. Luka and now Joe.

Dex
10-17-2022, 04:39 PM
And he just got married too. But as everybody mentioned, he didn’t really show anything to give him a roster spot.

This is why I hate combine "stats". Dude's can go and give 110% and maybe have a lucky day in scrimmages....that doesn't mean they are fit to be longtime NBA players.

I understand that the people judging and grading the combine only get that tiny window to observe...but I feel like it gets overrated tbh

This is why science projects are based on sample size. Just because you flip a coin twice, and it hits heads twice....doesn't mean it will always be heads.

Ocotillo
10-17-2022, 04:43 PM
He didn't play a single second in the Summer League.
I guess that why he was unimpressive in SL :lol

CGD
10-17-2022, 04:45 PM

Well, he now has a nice little nest egg at 22 years old to start a great life.

John B
10-17-2022, 04:47 PM
I was hoping he’d be our Duncan Robinson. The guy was supposed to can flat-out shoot with 40’ vertical

TD 21
10-17-2022, 05:05 PM
Pop turned Danny Green from a sideshow jumbotron dancer into one of the best role players of all-time and turned Boris Diaw from a slob into a championship killer ... so maybe as a final hurrah he can figure out what Romeo needs to hear to wake him up.

:lmao At giving the credit to the coach instead of the players.

spurs1990
10-17-2022, 05:11 PM
He seemed like a really great dude too. Au revoir Iowa. Much luck to him in landing some place

exstatic
10-17-2022, 05:16 PM
Indiana, Utah or Boston will give him a look.

Feels like if Romeo’s salary wasn’t as high, he would’ve been the cut.

His salary would be more useful in a trade, having to send fewer players out.

exstatic
10-17-2022, 05:17 PM
I was hoping he’d be our Duncan Robinson. The guy was supposed to can flat-out shoot with 40’ vertical

We’ve struck out twice in recent years with players having 40+ verts and allegedly being shooters.

PhantomDashCam
10-17-2022, 05:54 PM
I wish Joe well but it was clear from his run in the G-League that he was over-matched physically and struggled with the shooting distance and the short release window required for NBA players of his ilk.

It wouldn't surprise me if we hear his name in a few years latching on somewhere after gaining success in another global, professional league.

Russ
10-17-2022, 06:38 PM
He had a defined role but he never seemed able to fill it.

Good for him getting the money and starting on the right track in life. :toast

Mr. Body
10-17-2022, 06:57 PM
The experiment of loading up with pure shooters last offseason has proven to be a bust.

stephen jackson
10-17-2022, 07:04 PM
I thought he wasn’t playing cuz he had it locked up, makes me think about malaki but he comes in and performs like a veteran unlike
joe weezy

CGD
10-17-2022, 07:05 PM
:lmao At giving the credit to the coach instead of the players.

True, but in fairness Danny himself said he was a knucklehead early in his career and on the verge of being out of the league until he came here. Hopefully someone can knock the aloofness off of Romeo so he can have a similar trajectory.

stephen jackson
10-17-2022, 07:25 PM
Romeo at least attempted a shot that was cool he seems to be motivated

paperboy77
10-17-2022, 07:47 PM
Dude sucked. Anyone really surprised?

GAustex
10-17-2022, 09:12 PM
Wheezy needed to make shots and he did not

The Truth #6
10-18-2022, 08:17 AM
Looks like his agent also reps Roby, McBuckets, and Zollins. Not sure if that is somehow related to him getting that contract before cutting him. It’s weird.

John B
10-18-2022, 08:28 AM
I don’t remember a draft pick getting waive only on his 2nd year. Having multiple picks force Spurs hands to waive players quicker that they have ever. Expect the same thing next year and ahead as Spurs converts JRich, Poeltl and McD (if lucky) into future FRP’s.

rankingtear
10-18-2022, 09:02 AM
I don’t remember a draft pick getting waive only on his 2nd year. Having multiple picks force Spurs hands to waive players quicker that they have ever. Expect the same thing next year and ahead as Spurs converts JRich, Poeltl and McD (if lucky) into future FRP’s.

Most don't even make it out of camp before the two-ways.

SpurSpike
10-18-2022, 09:09 AM
I guess the Spurs saw enough to make this decision. For all the people here saying he didn't look good enough id argue that you didn't see him enough to make that evaluation. I would have liked to see more of him personally so that i could better understand the Spurs decision to cut him.

He shot an average of 6.2 3's a game and hit them at 36.3% so he was taking shots and making them at a decent clip. He also averaged 13.4 points a game. I will admit i never watched his g league games so i don't know if he was a primary option there. If he was those #'s don't stand out but if he was a catch and shoot 3 point shooter the stats suggest he was playing his role decently enough.

KingKev
10-18-2022, 09:14 AM

I see your point in that we are reaching our capacity for young players but each year probably half of SRPs make it out of training camp to begin with.

Also, Jak, McD and Jrich combined with cap usage probably net you 2 decent FRPs total. I wouldn’t worry too much especially as Charlotte’s FRP won’t convey in 2023.

Brian Wright needs to get to work though.

exstatic
10-18-2022, 11:13 AM
Chimezi was waived after only two seasons when we weren’t churning draft picks like we are now. KBD was his replacement, and I’m satisfied with that exchange.

wildbill2u
10-18-2022, 11:36 AM
Physical attributes like vertical leap and timed speeds are data points to consider, but not necessarily indicative of the skills needed to play at the NBA level. Some players without super physical attributes make it on BB IQ as we pray Sochan will do. ???? But the Round Mound of Rebound, Sir Charles Barkley, explaing this point best: "Deer are really fast and can jump high---but you don't find them playing in the NBA."

heyheymymy
01-06-2023, 04:50 PM
Joe Weiskamp picked up by Toronto Raptors on a 10 day contract

Chinook
01-06-2023, 04:53 PM
I almost panicked for a second think SA brought him back

heyheymymy
01-06-2023, 05:05 PM
lol sorry this was the best thread / most relevant / most recent thread I could search for to bump with this update

Wish the best to Joe.

slick'81
01-06-2023, 05:11 PM
Meh

spurraider21
01-06-2023, 05:31 PM
joe meinkampf will always have a place in our hearts