PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs at 76ers - Oct. 22, 2022

timvp
10-22-2022, 09:12 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-76ers-grades-3/

Kinda cool victory, tbh :lol

Pop is the worst tanking coach of all-time :lol

That tenth spot in the West is looking more and more likely by the day :lol :cry :lol

lefty20
10-22-2022, 09:16 PM

That tenth spot in the West is looking more and more likely by the day :lol :cry :lol

https://media.tenor.com/zM15ZrNYp0QAAAAM/no-michael-scott.gif

Chomag
10-22-2022, 09:20 PM
As long as Pop is coach we are not tanking,did you yall really think he is not going to play our vets over the rookies?

Mr. Body
10-22-2022, 09:21 PM
Love to see this from Vassel. Hope Pop can get him specific sets. Needs more when he has it going.

I liked the contributions from Roby and Dieng a lot.

heyheymymy
10-22-2022, 09:23 PM
And with the 13th pick in the first round of the 2023 NBA Draft the San Antonio Spurs select Dillon Mitchell

Chomag
10-22-2022, 09:35 PM
I mean, we have 2 of our first round picks 3 dnps in a row and our number 1 pick with only 10 minutes tonight. Does that sound like a tanking team?

sananspursfan21
10-22-2022, 09:51 PM
Call me a homer, but I just couldn’t see how the Spurs were really gonna suck thaaaat bad factoring in the development of some of these high(er) drafted guys and the sneaky additions. It’s a long season and I’ll eat these words plenty, but I’m not entirely taken by surprise with this excellent performance. They’ll lay their fair share of eggs, but I don’t know that we’re looking at an embarrassing team here gents

Atl Spur
10-22-2022, 09:52 PM
I mean, we have 2 of our first round picks 3 dnps in a row and our number 1 pick with only 10 minutes tonight. Does that sound like a tanking team?

They gotta earn those minutes big homie! Don’t ever just give minutes!!

offset formation
10-22-2022, 09:55 PM
Damn you BillMc. Stop with the positivity...lol.

baseline bum
10-22-2022, 10:03 PM
Fs all the way down the report card

baseline bum
10-22-2022, 10:04 PM
Still, LMAO Coc and Harden

vy65
10-22-2022, 10:28 PM
This organization is fucking retarded

GAustex
10-22-2022, 10:34 PM
Highlite link at the bottom of the grades had 80% Sixers plays.
Really disrespectful.

Mr. Body
10-22-2022, 10:41 PM

If they were tanking, Pop would have pulled McBuckets when he was going off.

I mean, this team ain't tanking. I don't know how much the clods have to hear it.

offset formation
10-22-2022, 10:43 PM
If they were tanking, Pop would have pulled McBuckets when he was going off.

I mean, this team ain't tanking. I don't know how much the clods have to hear it.

Brian Wright is tanking. Pop isn't, obviously. WTF is Brett Brown doing?

Chomag
10-22-2022, 10:52 PM
They gotta earn those minutes big homie! Don’t ever just give minutes!!

Enjoy your treadmill sir.

cjw
10-22-2022, 11:11 PM
Call me a homer, but I just couldn’t see how the Spurs were really gonna suck thaaaat bad factoring in the development of some of these high(er) drafted guys and the sneaky additions. It’s a long season and I’ll eat these words plenty, but I’m not entirely taken by surprise with this excellent performance. They’ll lay their fair share of eggs, but I don’t know that we’re looking at an embarrassing team here gents

They made the play in last year and really just lost Murray. People projecting them to be last in the west (which could happen!) basically assumed zero improvement from the entire young roster, and that there would be a huge falloff without Murray. And probably also projected more purging from the roster.

John B
10-22-2022, 11:26 PM
Thanks Timvp. Impressive win on a 2nd leg of a b2b against one of the better teams. Poeltl went toe to toe with Embiid fantastic. Devin 22pts in again and strokes are beautiful. Tre is aggressive. Keldon fearless. Man are we tanking this year? :lol

tbdog
10-22-2022, 11:59 PM
It was a good win. I still don't think we will win 30 games this year.

playbonner15
10-23-2022, 12:16 AM
And with the 13th pick in the first round of the 2023 NBA Draft the San Antonio Spurs select Dillon Mitchell
And Pels select Wemby :rollin

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-23-2022, 12:49 AM
It was a good win. I still don't think we will win 30 games this year.

Agreed. 25 is my prediction. We just got two out of the way early.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-23-2022, 01:56 AM
But I love to see us win.

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2022, 02:07 AM
terrible win tbh. The team executed well on both ends. Great shooting, a lot of transition 3s and backdoor cuts against a falling asleep 76ers defense. Also Pop's defensive game plan with the Embiid doubles and playing all 3 Centers worked pretty well. KJ and Vassell are a very good wing duo that can easily complement a ball dominant franchise player since both of those guys are very good offball shooters.

I don't know how people think this team has to tank multiple years. All they need is that one franchise player, but to get that guy we need to be in the bottom 3. In order to go like 22-60 we can only win 1 out of 4 games. We need to put together a losing streak to build some cushion and trade away some of the vets. I knew that J-Rich and McDermott getting hot will result into wins and that will happen more often.

D-Robinson 50 fan
10-23-2022, 02:49 AM
At first I was just hoping we would keep it close and lose. When It got to the fourth quarter and we were up, I couldn’t help but root for us to win and was yelling at the the television like crazy. Lmao.

that was a really good game by a lot of players. I really liked Deing and Robie’s play in the front court. They did a lot of dirty work that if you didn’t see the game you wouldn’t realize how important they were. Vassell and Keldon were really good, Doug was on fire, Richardson but timely shots, and Tre was great in the 4th to take us home.

great team win. It’s early in the season and we have more than enough time to rack up losses, but this was a nice win to view

sananspursfan21
10-23-2022, 06:13 AM
They made the play in last year and really just lost Murray. People projecting them to be last in the west (which could happen!) basically assumed zero improvement from the entire young roster, and that there would be a huge falloff without Murray. And probably also projected more purging from the roster.

True. Just the mainstream media sleepwalking through their Spurs predictions as usual

Dejounte
10-23-2022, 06:19 AM

They said Poeltl would be for sure gone before the season started. I’m not even sure to expect any midseason trades at this point. The Spurs were never known for that. Last season seems like an exception to the norm. I’m thinking that if they continue to do well, then there will be no midseason shakeup. On the other hand, if the season looks lost then anything goes. I predict a JRich trade at worst to open up minutes for Branham.

jeebus
10-23-2022, 06:24 AM
Still, LMAO Coc and Harden

That's the only reason why I started cheering for the win near the end. The sixers are a poverty franchise who are nothing but foul merchants and play the shittiest form of basketball. Fuck em.

BillMc
10-23-2022, 06:24 AM
Damn you BillMc (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16431). Stop with the positivity...lol.

I'll do my best to be morose. :bobo

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2022, 06:40 AM
They said Poeltl would be for sure gone before the season started. I’m not even sure to expect any midseason trades at this point. The Spurs were never known for that. Last season seems like an exception to the norm. I’m thinking that if they continue to do well, then there will be no midseason shakeup. On the other hand, if the season looks lost then anything goes. I predict a JRich trade at worst to open up minutes for Branham.

that would be the dumbest shit ever tbh. Pop needs to give more minutes to the rookies than the vets, otherwise we will be stuck in NBA purgatory for years and trade away Keldon soon. This has to stop. They have to tank

Dejounte
10-23-2022, 06:44 AM
that would be the dumbest shit ever tbh. Pop needs to give more minutes to the rookies than the vets, otherwise we will be stuck in NBA purgatory for years and trade away Keldon soon. This has to stop. They have to tank

Sounds dumb right now, but let me tell you more about this unlikely hypothetical scenario where the Spurs are looking like a playoff team (not play-in) and the media is giving them the attention they deserve. Imagine the media singing praises for both KJ and DV, deeming them as the next rising stars as they go on to average 20+ for a full season. We then go into next season as the team to watch. Extremely unlikely, I know, but this would be the kind of scenario that would change your tune.

Dejounte
10-23-2022, 07:06 AM
Btw, I’m really surprised by how good Dieng looks. Thought this dude’s career was done as it looked like he puts in no time in the gym lifting weights and looks like a guy who just got off the couch— but he’s got game. Let’s see if he keeps it up.

cjw
10-23-2022, 07:22 AM
I knew that J-Rich and McDermott getting hot will result into wins and that will happen more often.

If they’re playing well, it may also incentivize teams to try to acquire them. McD might not be viewed as a negative value contract (I’ll believe it when I see it).

I’m fine keeping it largely in tact for 25-30 games. At best Spurs should have 10-12 wins after 30 games, and other teams may become more open to making moves once they figure out where their holes are / injuries happen. Spurs may also feel more confident in their youth by then too.

mo7888
10-23-2022, 07:36 AM
Sounds dumb right now, but let me tell you more about this unlikely hypothetical scenario where the Spurs are looking like a playoff team (not play-in) and the media is giving them the attention they deserve. Imagine the media singing praises for both KJ and DV, deeming them as the next rising stars as they go on to average 20+ for a full season. We then go into next season as the team to watch. Extremely unlikely, I know, but this would be the kind of scenario that would change your tune.

We've got some really nice pieces to complement a true alpha type star... but how are we going to get that guy? This year's draft looks like the best opportunity to grab that guy....if there's another route I'd love to hear it but, until I hear a different path that sounds plausible then this just looks like a path to mediocrity in search of padding Pop's all time record...

Dejounte
10-23-2022, 07:44 AM
We've got some really nice pieces to complement a true alpha type star... but how are we going to get that guy? This year's draft looks like the best opportunity to grab that guy....if there's another route I'd love to hear it but, until I hear a different path that sounds plausible then this just looks like a path to mediocrity in search of padding Pop's all time record...

IMO (an unpopular opinion, at that), when people say we don’t have “that guy” well, I try to think of this analogy where there is a high school nerd who wasn’t very attractive but had all the great qualities as a long term partner… they then underwent a drastic change because they started going to the gym and now they’re a fine ass looking specimen with all the best character traits to boot. That’s what could happen with KJ and Vassell if they blow up. The nerd that’s always been there but you always looked past them because you had your eyes set on a shallow and dumb model that just broke your heart cause these hoes aint loyal. BRB I’m going to go cry now.

Dejounte
10-23-2022, 07:59 AM
Tbh I think what was most impressive about last night’s win was how they did it: they ran organized basketball sets as opposed to winning by fluky playground basketball with streaky 3 pt shooting and purely by points in transition. They committed to their game plan and every player knew their role. That’s typically not seen in a young team and if they continue to play that way, more wins will come. If not, then the results will play out like they were projected before the season started.

mo7888
10-23-2022, 08:03 AM
IMO (an unpopular opinion, at that), when people say we don’t have “that guy” well, I try to think of this analogy where there is a high school nerd who wasn’t very attractive but had all the great qualities as a long term partner… they then underwent a drastic change because they started going to the gym and now they’re a fine ass looking specimen with all the best character traits to boot. That’s what could happen with KJ and Vassell if they blow up. The nerd that’s always been there but you always looked past them because you had your eyes set on a shallow and dumb model that just broke your heart cause these hoes aint loyal. BRB I’m going to go cry now.

Lol

I just don't see that in KJ or DV... I don't think they are at the top of their game or anything and there's growth still to be had but 'elite'? I don't see the tools to get there... the FO sees that 'potential' in Primo and he and Wesley are the only guys I see with the skill set to possibly make it but it's an extreme Longshot... if we're going to resign Jak and JR and then trade them 2 summers for now with a bunch of the picks we've acquired for a disgruntled star then maybe I could squint and see a path....but the clearer path to me is let this team run as-is until Christmas and then trade jak, JR, and McDermott...give Wesley and Malaki Branham more burn and let nature take its course...

jjspur
10-23-2022, 08:17 AM
It was a good win against a team that has more talent and should be able to beat us easily, but this is the NBA and on any given night even a bad team can beat a good one.
My guess is that Adam Silver has sent a message to GM's and coaches about tanking and is keeping an watchful eye on pop. Its all a PR smokescreen by Silver, but maybe pop is taking it halfway seriously and maybe the spurs wont be as bad as predicted until late into the season. Who really knows, Pop and Silver are both odd ducks.

Rummpd
10-23-2022, 08:35 AM
It was a good win against a team that has more talent and should be able to beat us easily, but this is the NBA and on any given night even a bad team can beat a good one.
My guess is that Adam Silver has sent a message to GM's and coaches about tanking and is keeping an watchful eye on pop. Its all a PR smokescreen by Silver, but maybe pop is taking it halfway seriously and maybe the spurs wont be as bad as predicted until late into the season. Who really knows, Pop and Silver are both odd ducks.

Valid post.

Ocotillo
10-23-2022, 08:37 AM
I only got to see the 4th quarter so I missed most of the game. Anyway, looking at the various comments in this thread it sounds like they played team ball. Maybe working on the beautiful game 2.0? I want Wemby as much as the rest of you but watching the team part of me is thinking Scoot would be great on this team. I would not get too far ahead of ourselves though, there is a lot of youth on this team and they will have plenty of boneheaded games like the Charlotte opener. I am beginning to wonder though if the team will not be one of the bottom 5 teams now.

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2022, 08:48 AM

if that is the case than they shouldn't have traded away Murray and rather looked to improving the team with all this cap space they have. That wasn't the case. Either way the team would not be good enough to contend for a title. They just need one really bad season to get that guy, after that do as much winning as you want. I never rooted for the team to lose, but this time I am. A really good season by losing in the first round of the playoffs ain't getting them anywhere.

BackHome
10-23-2022, 08:50 AM
Yeah I have been looking at the mocks and been keeping my reviews on guys 1 - 8 as far as being mocked. I am still hoping for the best but preparing for the worst but even if we don’t get the 1st pick we can still get an elite player with the 2nd pick and a high lever starter in the 2 - 8 pick.

One thing is for sure is that to really tank we are going to have to trade Poodle - If we don’t trade him and let him walk for free next season for nothing I am gonna be pissed

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2022, 08:54 AM
I only got to see the 4th quarter so I missed most of the game. Anyway, looking at the various comments in this thread it sounds like they played team ball. Maybe working on the beautiful game 2.0? I want Wemby as much as the rest of you but watching the team part of me is thinking Scoot would be great on this team. I would not get too far ahead of ourselves though, there is a lot of youth on this team and they will have plenty of boneheaded games like the Charlotte opener. I am beginning to wonder though if the team will not be one of the bottom 5 teams now.

Scoot would be a great fit since this team doesn't have any PGs besides Tre Jones. Both Scoot and Wembenyama would fit well with Keldon and Devin. The problem is if we are winning more than 25 games we'll most likely miss out on those picks

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-23-2022, 09:22 AM
when an actual victory is a moral victory tbh

ismael-robert
10-23-2022, 10:50 AM
If we get scoot that makes Wesley or tre gone

TD 21
10-23-2022, 11:47 AM

Either that or they looked at a roster with one play maker/primary ball handler, who just so happens to be a small guard who can't shoot and plays overly cautious and thought this might be a problem over a sample size somewhere north of three games.

KingKev
10-23-2022, 02:37 PM

Sound like you speaking from the heart now isn’t you. It’s great you finally got a girlfriend.

So in your analogy KJ and Devin the fellas who couldn’t close a girl in the early stages and PATFO is the hot chick who is now over the hill after getting it in for 20years.

Damn I see it.

Dejounte
10-23-2022, 02:46 PM
Sound like you speaking from the heart now isn’t you. It’s great you finally got a girlfriend.

So in your analogy KJ and Devin the fellas who couldn’t close a girl in the early stages and PATFO is the hot chick who is now over the hill after getting it in for 20years.

Damn I see it.

Bro, I’m lucky to have such a fan who looks for my posts and tries to get shots in. I won’t entertain you every time but here’s your one reply from me so you can chew on something while the adults talk basketball.

R. DeMurre
10-23-2022, 03:04 PM
oh wow, look-- Dejounte is feuding with someone and insulting them.

Dejounte
10-23-2022, 03:08 PM
oh wow, look-- Dejounte is feuding with someone and insulting them.

You can’t be that dense? Of course in your eyes I’m the one who initiated that. :lmao

R. DeMurre
10-23-2022, 03:09 PM
Your emoji game is top notch.

ginobilized
10-23-2022, 04:07 PM
Nice win for the Spurs. Organized, team-oriented bball.

Wtf are the Sixers doing? They have so much talent, but, seem like they might be fool's gold.
If they don't get it together in the next month I could see a major trade or coaching change. Fingers crossed.

exstatic
10-23-2022, 07:25 PM
As long as Pop is coach we are not tanking,did you yall really think he is not going to play our vets over the rookies?

The two featured players are 22 and 23.

exstatic
10-23-2022, 07:29 PM
That's the only reason why I started cheering for the win near the end. The sixers are a poverty franchise who are nothing but foul merchants and play the shittiest form of basketball. Fuck em.

And yet, they did exactly what all of you want us to do, and they did it for 5 years.

jjspur
10-23-2022, 09:38 PM
Nice win for the Spurs. Organized, team-oriented bball.

Wtf are the Sixers doing? They have so much talent, but, seem like they might be fool's gold.
If they don't get it together in the next month I could see a major trade or coaching change. Fingers crossed.

Doc gets canned. They have way too much talent on board to be this bad. Its the coaching or lack of.
Unless they turn it around real quick, they'll be saying adios to doc sooner than later.

Fireball
10-24-2022, 07:22 AM
first game this season I watched without knowing the outcome already and I must say I cannot cheer for the Spurs to lose.
But the losses will come eventually ... the extreme energy (especially on defense) will fade after a few games.

Would like to have Sochan more minutes although its tough looking at his John Stockton shorts ...

CGD
10-24-2022, 07:29 AM
Doc gets canned. They have way too much talent on board to be this bad. Its the coaching or lack of.
Unless they turn it around real quick, they'll be saying adios to doc sooner than later.

Agree— I think he is on very thin ice right now. Obvious fall guy, but also he’s had a shitty track record of his own doing now for some time.

Dejounte
10-24-2022, 07:42 AM
Uh I thought Morey and Doc had a broship going on and if true, then Doc’s job is secure

dbestpro
10-24-2022, 08:39 AM
Are we about to witness the return of the beautiful game? Where team ball trumps iso ball? Where a good shot turns into a great shot?

rjv
10-24-2022, 03:52 PM

:lol watch him get coach of the year and then have everyone calling for his job. tbh though, if this unit balls out and plays within the system, and other teams have injuries or turmoil (or go full tank mode) the spurs could just find themselves in the play-in chase again. :oops

TD 21
10-24-2022, 05:14 PM

Rivers will be the scapegoat until D'Antoni or whatever white flavor of the month replaces him and sees similar results that both the former and Brown did, only then it'll be the players who are the problem of course.

tonight...you
10-24-2022, 05:20 PM
Rivers will be the scapegoat until D'Antoni or whatever white flavor of the month replaces him and sees similar results that both the former and Brown did, only then it'll be the players who are the problem of course.
You like Doc as a coach?

TD 21
10-24-2022, 05:39 PM
You like Doc as a coach?

As with most of them, I'm indifferent. I only dislike the shameless self-promotors and/or unethical ones, but they're all largely irrelevant.

He just receives far too much disrespect for a guy who has a championship and nearly two (I don't care about that crap, but for plenty of media/fans it somehow gives white coaches instant and everlasting credibility) and it started before the slew of blown 3-1 leads.

tonight...you
10-24-2022, 07:49 PM
As with most of them, I'm indifferent. I only dislike the shameless self-promotors and/or unethical ones, but they're all largely irrelevant.

He just receives far too much disrespect for a guy who has a championship and nearly two (I don't care about that crap, but for plenty of media/fans it somehow gives white coaches instant and everlasting credibility) and it started before the slew of blown 3-1 leads.
I think he gets too much respect from the media and the NBA hiring officials and too much disrespect from fans.

It's a wild thing.

I don't think he's a very good coach, but I'm just a guy.

TD 21
10-26-2022, 04:29 PM
I think he gets too much respect from the media and the NBA hiring officials and too much disrespect from fans.

It's a wild thing.

I don't think he's a very good coach, but I'm just a guy.

Despite being media friendly, he receives constant disrespect from them, arguably more than any other established coach.

Based on results, that he has little to do with, taken out of context with talented but flawed rosters?

tonight...you
10-26-2022, 06:48 PM
Despite being media friendly, he receives constant disrespect from them, arguably more than any other established coach.

Based on results, that he has little to do with, taken out of context with talented but flawed rosters?
Maybe I'm looking at things through the wrong lens.
It happens.
He's a generally disrespected coach from the media, yet keeps getting hired and fired from high profile jobs?
Not out of the realm of possibility.

Ocotillo
10-26-2022, 07:04 PM
Interview on the radio today speaking about the new Boston coach. He (an SI reporter) said he feels Udoka will not return. If that ends up being the case, they say, if Brooklyn is ok with whatever the facts are that led to him leaving Boston, they would go after him. He also said Philly would probably make a run at Udoka as well so Doc may be out on the street again sooner rather than later.

TD 21
10-27-2022, 04:18 PM
Maybe I'm looking at things through the wrong lens.
It happens.
He's a generally disrespected coach from the media, yet keeps getting hired and fired from high profile jobs?
Not out of the realm of possibility.

The media, try as they might to influence it, don't have the authority to hire and fire coaches.