PDA

View Full Version : the way too early pivot

K...
10-24-2022, 10:43 AM
Lets celebrate the longest winning streak of the season with a hypothetical. ...were going all in on vassell and keldon. Poertle can stay. Which trade for a young player or veteran would you trade the pick haul for to get the current core to the playoffs? Spurs have never had this flexibility and ever year they'll be a variation of this question.

SPURt
10-24-2022, 11:06 AM
Probably a weird choice since this is purely hypothetical, but I’d try to use the war chest to get Giddy, Holmgren, and Jalen Williams from OKC.

K...
10-24-2022, 12:21 PM
“The San Antonio Spurs will sign free agent center Charles Bassey on a two-way NBA contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Bassey is entering his second season after being a 76ers second-round pick in 2021.“. Oh shit the pivot is real!

Chinook
10-24-2022, 01:26 PM
The Spurs shouldn't go all in no matter what, but I would be looking for a young PG. Feel like Maxey would be ideal, but maybe someone like Fox would be a good buy-low candidate, assuming the Kings start kinging. Van Vleet? Going the other direction, Ben Simmons could make sense if they moved Poeltl.

I wouldn't look to make any real trade until after the next draft.

scott
10-25-2022, 10:58 PM
We're a year too late, but Halliburton would have been a perfect "buy" with some of our assets (without any regard to price)

Dejounte
10-26-2022, 05:23 AM
Last year I thought our weaknesses were: shot creation, help defense, and rebounding

this year, my early assessment is that we have a backup point guard problem. The bench is supposed to provide energy, but instead the pace slows down when Primo is leading it. No issues with Primo having ball handling duties, but I think right now he has too much.

mo7888
10-26-2022, 06:53 AM
The Spurs shouldn't go all in no matter what, but I would be looking for a young PG. Feel like Maxey would be ideal, but maybe someone like Fox would be a good buy-low candidate, assuming the Kings start kinging. Van Vleet? Going the other direction, Ben Simmons could make sense if they moved Poeltl.

I guess it comes down to price but of the ones you mentioned I like Maxie the best but I don't see a realistic path to acquiring him. Of the rest I'd really want to go with guys who have a good bbiq and would fit in moving the ball. Simmons (although most here don't like him) makes some sense to me but, he'd probably move Sochan and Jones to the bench and we'd trot out a Primo, DV, KJ, BS, and Jak lineup. I don't think you can have 3 guys in the SL that aren't real threats from deep.

poopbox
10-26-2022, 07:24 AM
If there is 0% chance we get Tall Tony parker then I'd try to turn Jones, Primo, and one or two of the hawks picks in SGA. SGA, Devin, Keldon, Sochan, and insert center here is a very nice team going forward.

poopbox
10-26-2022, 07:25 AM
I guess it comes down to price but of the ones you mentioned I like Maxie the best but I don't see a realistic path to acquiring him. Of the rest I'd really want to go with guys who have a good bbiq and would fit in moving the ball. Simmons (although most here don't like him) makes some sense to me but, he'd probably move Sochan and Jones to the bench and we'd trot out a Primo, DV, KJ, BS, and Jak lineup. I don't think you can have 3 guys in the SL that aren't real threats from deep.

Simmons on paper skills match but in real life he is a head case. He might just be to broken mentally to be the player on the court that he should be on paper.

The Truth #6
10-26-2022, 07:42 AM
We’re going all in after winning three games? Let’s see how the lottery goes first. But maybe this thread isn’t being literal.

mo7888
10-26-2022, 07:43 AM
Simmons on paper skills match but in real life he is a head case. He might just be to broken mentally to be the player on the court that he should be on paper.

That's a very real possibility...

mo7888
10-26-2022, 07:44 AM
We’re going all in after winning three games? Let’s see how the lottery goes first. But maybe this thread isn’t being literal.

Nobody's suggesting that...it's Cleary a hypothetical for discussion and not a real proposal to go all in now...

Atl Spur
10-26-2022, 07:44 AM
If you look closely, they are molding primos game after Luka / SGA type of skill set. Those two are big guards with a skill set which supports skill over athleticism. Primo will be ok, he just going through trial by fire; on the other side we should be golden! The development takes time and lots patience……..

SpurSpike
10-26-2022, 08:52 AM
Last year I thought our weaknesses were: shot creation, help defense, and rebounding

this year, my early assessment is that we have a backup point guard problem. The bench is supposed to provide energy, but instead the pace slows down when Primo is leading it. No issues with Primo having ball handling duties, but I think right now he has too much.

I agree with this take, if Tre goes down it will not be pretty.

Atl Spur
10-26-2022, 09:34 AM
I agree with this take, if Tre goes down it will not be pretty.

Why not? We will just let Primo run the point more and take his lumps! Say it with me people “ Development Year “

mo7888
10-26-2022, 09:39 AM
Why not? We will just let Primo run the point more and take his lumps! Say it with me people “ Development Year “

Even of your right it doesn't negate the fact that watching him 'take his lumps' against starting caliber players won't be pretty to watch..

The Truth #6
10-26-2022, 10:12 AM
Primo’s development is good for losses. That’s probably the closest pop will come to outwardly tanking. Joking?

Atl Spur
10-26-2022, 10:17 AM
Even of your right it doesn't negate the fact that watching him 'take his lumps' against starting caliber players won't be pretty to watch..

Losing never is………

DAF86
10-26-2022, 10:26 AM

There's no scenario where it makes sense to add Ben Simmons to your basketball team, tbh. :lol

BackHome
10-26-2022, 10:59 AM
If we really decided to tank hard yeah trade Poodle for Simmons for sure we get a top 3 pick

Atl Spur
10-26-2022, 12:05 PM
There's no scenario where it makes sense to add Ben Simmons to your basketball team, tbh. :lol

Sure there is..

couchman
10-26-2022, 12:39 PM
Since we're making wild guesses on a hypothetical question, how about KAT?
I don't think the twin towers will work in Minny.
Between Gobert and KAT they may not want to move Gobert and admit their mistake, so instead KAT becomes a potential trade piece.
Plus KAT just pissed off Edwards by publicly calling out his eating habits on Monday.

KAT would be a consistent top scorer, he hits 3s so we don't have to worry about having enough of that on the floor, and he can also play inside to open up 3s for Keldon & Vassell.
A starting lineup of KAT, Sochan, Keldon, Vassell, and Tre would be a playoff team for sure.

Chinook
10-26-2022, 01:01 PM

I'm starting to see things your way on that. He better get back to his Philly prime quick. That said, his contract being negative means he's likely the best talent:price (assets). The only other one that could challenge that would be Fox, but DAF (not you) is playing decent ball right now and probably isn't on the table. Any other bad contract tied to a player who's potentially good I can think of is for a role-player shooter like Duncan Robinson or Shamet.

couchman
10-28-2022, 01:03 AM
It's unfortunate that LeBron can't be traded this year because he would be amazing with this Spurs roster and the LA situation is so screwed up that moving LeBron would be one of the few moves that would make sense

offset formation
10-28-2022, 10:14 AM
If you look closely, they are molding primos game after Luka / SGA type of skill set. Those two are big guards with a skill set which supports skill over athleticism. Primo will be ok, he just going through trial by fire; on the other side we should be golden! The development takes time and lots patience……..

I'll give you that's exactly what Pop is shooting for but then you have to acknowledge those guys process the floor at a much higher level not only passing but also creating space with hesitations and little bursts that help them get easy buckets every damn game. Show me where Primo does this.

offset formation
10-28-2022, 10:15 AM
It's unfortunate that LeBron can't be traded this year because he would be amazing with this Spurs roster and the LA situation is so screwed up that moving LeBron would be one of the few moves that would make sense

You sure he can't be moved? I heard talking heads like SAS talking about moving LeBron yesterday.

Atl Spur
10-28-2022, 10:39 AM
We could theoretically continue the tank with Ben on board ( sit him out citing mental issues / while developing him behind the scenes ) trade McDermott , poodle, j rich , and salary fillers ( players like joe Harris ) between Brooklyn / LA / draft compensation.

mo7888
10-28-2022, 11:59 AM
You sure he can't be moved? I heard talking heads like SAS talking about moving LeBron yesterday.

Theoretically Lebron could be moved on February 16th...I believe that's after the trade deadline..

couchman
10-28-2022, 12:28 PM
Theoretically Lebron could be moved on February 16th...I believe that's after the trade deadline..

That is what I've read as well. He can't be traded for 6 months after his extension.
The 6 months happens to end after the trade deadline, so that means he can't be traded this season.

LeBron and the Lakers really screwed themselves by doing it this way.
I don't believe they can chip this year, even if they get most of the role players they covet in a Westbrook+picks trade.
They also can't tank because they don't own their own picks for a while.
LOL @ Lakers, f those guys

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-28-2022, 02:06 PM
Premature infatuation thread

scott
10-30-2022, 08:59 PM
This thread is too fun to let fall to the second page.

Fun thought experiment:

1. Assume we are good enough to be around 4-7th in the west with this current team.
2. Assume you can either keep all our draft assets as they are now, or make 1 big move.
3. Assume ANY player in the league is obtainable at a market price
4. But also assume you have to give up a realistic haul to get that one player

What do you do?

Right now, I'd say I'd offer the entire ATL haul + CHI pick + CHA pick + one of our own picks for Ja.

mo7888
10-30-2022, 09:27 PM
This thread is too fun to let fall to the second page.

Fun thought experiment:

1. Assume we are good enough to be around 4-7th in the west with this current team.
2. Assume you can either keep all our draft assets as they are now, or make 1 big move.
3. Assume ANY player in the league is obtainable at a market price
4. But also assume you have to give up a realistic haul to get that one player

What do you do?

Right now, I'd say I'd offer the entire ATL haul + CHI pick + CHA pick + one of our own picks for Ja.

Thats not market for Ja...we don't even have the assets to get him...all future picks wouldn't do it..

scott
10-30-2022, 10:23 PM
Thats not market for Ja...we don't even have the assets to get him...all future picks wouldn't do it..

Fair enough! Of course, there is no realistic market for these guys… since they don’t get traded unless they force their way out and their price plummets.

Dejounte
10-30-2022, 10:30 PM
I think the team could really use a backup veteran PF right behind Sochan. KBD and Roby make me too nervous when they’re on the floor. So many dumb mistakes like traveling or stepping out of bounds.

mo7888
10-30-2022, 10:34 PM
There's not much that will come on the market that would be realistic that we should want....of all the unrealistic guys out there I'd say KD if he'd want to play for Pop just to get out of Brooklyn...but I wouldn't give some motherload offer...it'd have to be him wanting to come here giving us enough leverage to keep it reasonable....like I said ...unrealistic...

Seventyniner
10-30-2022, 10:47 PM
Just to throw something at the wall, something along the lines of McDermott + Richardson + Langford for Kyle Lowry + Duncan Robinson, with the salary difference of about $14M absorbed into the Spurs cap space. The Spurs might even be able to pull a pick of some sort because Robinson's contract is that bad; the Heat would save a ton of money on next year's cap and a good amount the following two seasons.

lefty20
10-30-2022, 10:52 PM
What if the Nets keep struggling and KD happens to hit the market again and Marks demands Vassell & fuck ton of picks for KD?

Edit: Thinking more... he'd prolly want at least one more prospect, if not two. May be Bran? Or would be need to include more?

mo7888
10-30-2022, 11:07 PM
Just to throw something at the wall, something along the lines of McDermott + Richardson + Langford for Kyle Lowry + Duncan Robinson, with the salary difference of about $14M absorbed into the Spurs cap space. The Spurs might even be able to pull a pick of some sort because Robinson's contract is that bad; the Heat would save a ton of money on next year's cap and a good amount the following two seasons.

Why would we want to do that?

Chinook
10-30-2022, 11:35 PM
It's Fox. I know he's not perfect, but he's getable and fills a need. Last week I was thinking Primo would be a decent prospect and might be burned in a win-now trade later down the line. Now he's just dead money. That's an asset off the table, which means a more important asset would have to be put in. I wouldn't make any move with the ATL first or an unprotected Spurs pick. The Chicago pick would be meh. The Charlotte pick, a moderately protected Spurs pick ala what Detroit, Charlotte and Sacramento gave up, seconds and cap space would be my offer. Anyone too good for that (outside unobtainable superstars) would just have to go to a different team. If Sexton weren't on the Jazz, I would put him on the list too, but you aren't getting a decent trade from Ainge.

If the Spurs are a 4-7 seed, just enjoy it. That still feels hella unrealistic, so it would be an incredible boon. Unless a bunch of teams have critical injuries, they'd still be too far away from a contender to bridge the gap via in-season trade.

Chinook
10-30-2022, 11:36 PM
Why would we want to do that?

I assume he forgot the multiple unprotected firsts the Heat are giving up.

If the Spurs want to go the vet route, Conley would be way cheaper.

scott
10-31-2022, 12:11 AM
It's Fox. I know he's not perfect, but he's getable and fills a need. Last week I was thinking Primo would be a decent prospect and might be burned in a win-now trade later down the line. Now he's just dead money. That's an asset off the table, which means a more important asset would have to be put in. I wouldn't make any move with the ATL first or an unprotected Spurs pick. The Chicago pick would be meh. The Charlotte pick, a moderately protected Spurs pick ala what Detroit, Charlotte and Sacramento gave up, seconds and cap space would be my offer. Anyone too good for that (outside unobtainable superstars) would just have to go to a different team. If Sexton weren't on the Jazz, I would put him on the list too, but you aren't getting a decent trade from Ainge.

If the Spurs are a 4-7 seed, just enjoy it. That still feels hella unrealistic, so it would be an incredible boon. Unless a bunch of teams have critical injuries, they'd still be too far away from a contender to bridge the gap via in-season trade.

It feels like all the picks are our most valuable assets, and we should try our best to keep KJ, Devin, Sochan, Jak, Blake and Bran off the table (the last two, less important I suppose) since that is what we're trying to build upon (in a scenario where we keep on this pace and are a 4-7 seed.

Spurs being a 4-7 seed is also kind of a bad spot to be in as well. It would mean we are in the roughly the same place: a middling playoff team without a superstar incoming until maybe those ATL picks start hitting.

Of course, in reality, I don't think we are a 4-7 seed... probably something more like slotted to pick 6-10 once we regress to the mean.

Ice009
10-31-2022, 12:15 AM

Alright, that sounds a bit better. I was going to say, that's a shocking trade. I don't really want to give up Langford at this point, though. I want to see what he can do. I didn't know his defense was this good.

Dejounte
10-31-2022, 12:19 AM
It feels like all the picks are our most valuable assets, and we should try our best to keep KJ, Devin, Sochan, Jak, Blake and Bran off the table (the last two, less important I suppose) since that is what we're trying to build upon (in a scenario where we keep on this pace and are a 4-7 seed.

Spurs being a 4-7 seed is also kind of a bad spot to be in as well. It would mean we are in the roughly the same place: a middling playoff team without a superstar incoming until maybe those ATL picks start hitting.

Of course, in reality, I don't think we are a 4-7 seed... probably something more like slotted to pick 6-10 once we regress to the mean.

Teams don’t just carry themselves to a 4-7 seed. It would mean someone on the team became a star and led them there.

scott
10-31-2022, 12:25 AM
Teams don’t just carry themselves to a 4-7 seed. It would mean someone on the team became a star and led them there.

Last year's 4-7 seeds:

W4: Dallas - Luka
W5: Utah - Mitchell, Gobert
W6: Denver - Joker
W7: Minny - KAT, Ant

E4: Philly - Embiid, Harden
E5: Toranto - Siakam, Barnes
E6: Chicago - Demar, Levine
E7: Brooklyn - LOL

So while I think you are generally right, I can point to Toronto, Chicago, Utah and Minny as 4-7 seeds who still lack the star in the caliber we are thinking we need to be legit contenders. I think Keldon and Devin can be as good/effective stars as the guys on those teams... but I don't think they need to elevate beyond that for this team to be a solid playoff team, and then we are still left without a superstar.

Unfortunately, landing a superstar is really hard - even if you commit to the long tank (see OKC, HOU, DET) you may never land them. A trade (using all these picks we have) might be a easier way to get close to a star than the draft, tbh.

Chinook
10-31-2022, 12:29 AM

They definitely shouldn't have three SGs as untouchable in trades. Even if Wesley is considered a PG only going forward, having three guards locked away is a lot. I don't think they should be throwing them away, and in a scenario where SA were a solid playoff team, they'd probably be part of it. I can't disagree strongly enough with the idea that the Spurs being such a team this year could ever be construed as a bad thing. The four-seed is going to win 50 games. If the Spurs are pushing 50 games, it's because they have at least one All-Star, not because they're scrappy. You suggested as much and I agree that they're likely going to lose some more games. While I don't think they're going to fall off to be one of the worst teams in the league, they'll be a play-in team. If Johnson and/or Vassell makes legit All-Star or MIP noise, may they'll host a play-in game. They might even win it. But I can't see them even being a six seed as is.

But could this current team make the right trade to become a non-play-in playoff team? Maybe. It'd have to be a talented player for whom it also works out. Like Fox but with Fox fitting in and not stifling the other guys. If this were next year, Maxey would be on the table. I just don't think there's a scenario where the Sixers move him outside of getting that third star. But I am a fan of trading a protected natural pick that basically locks SA's first down for years. Detroit, Sacramento, Washington and Charlotte all made deals that basically prevented them from using future firsts on minor deals for years. That has protected them from making impulse buys using their future stock. I'd like to see the Spurs do something similar if they can get the right player in the exchange. I want to say Detroit used their pick to get Isaiah Stewart, who's been very good for them. Sacramento used theirs for Hueter, whom I haven't followed. Washington used their pick to get rid of Wall's contract for Westbrook, whom they flipped for a pick themselves. None of them are on the hook to convey a good pick, but they'll be able to use the good natural picks they have without fear of making a short-sighted in-season trade.

Dejounte
10-31-2022, 12:36 AM
Last year's 4-7 seeds:

W4: Dallas - Luka
W5: Utah - Mitchell, Gobert
W6: Denver - Joker
W7: Minny - KAT, Ant

E4: Philly - Embiid, Harden
E5: Toranto - Siakam, Barnes
E6: Chicago - Demar, Levine
E7: Brooklyn - LOL

So while I think you are generally right, I can point to Toronto, Chicago, Utah and Minny as 4-7 seeds who still lack the star in the caliber we are thinking we need to be legit contenders. I think Keldon and Devin can be as good/effective stars as the guys on those teams... but I don't think they need to elevate beyond that for this team to be a solid playoff team, and then we are still left without a superstar.

Unfortunately, landing a superstar is really hard - even if you commit to the long tank (see OKC, HOU, DET) you may never land them. A trade (using all these picks we have) might be a easier way to get close to a star than the draft, tbh.

I think the issue is that we have the tendency to look too far ahead. You’re saying we would still lack the superduperstar to become the legit contender we need to be but I’m saying there’s no issue with making the playoffs as-is. People act as if we made it to that point then the team would be capped out because the team will then never get its golden ticket to the top 3 pick in the draft. If Keldon becomes a star, that would have been two late lottery picks that the Spurs have made into stars. The Spurs won’t get stuck there because you can count on them to draft special talent from anywhere in the first round. And maybe they already have another in either Vassell or Sochan.

scott
10-31-2022, 12:37 AM
They definitely shouldn't have three SGs as untouchable in trades. Even if Wesley is considered a PG only going forward, having three guards locked away is a lot. I don't think they should be throwing them away, and in a scenario where SA were a solid playoff team, they'd probably be part of it. I can't disagree strongly enough with the idea that the Spurs being such a team this year could ever be construed as a bad thing. The four-seed is going to win 50 games. If the Spurs are pushing 50 games, it's because they have at least one All-Star, not because they're scrappy. You suggested as much and I agree that they're likely going to lose some more games. While I don't think they're going to fall off to be one of the worst teams in the league, they'll be a play-in team. If Johnson and/or Vassell makes legit All-Star or MIP noise, may they'll host a play-in game. They might even win it. But I can't see them even being a six seed as is.

But could this current team make the right trade to become a non-play-in playoff team? Maybe. It'd have to be a talented player for whom it also works out. Like Fox but with Fox fitting in and not stifling the other guys. If this were next year, Maxey would be on the table. I just don't think there's a scenario where the Sixers move him outside of getting that third star. But I am a fan of trading a protected natural pick that basically locks SA's first down for years. Detroit, Sacramento, Washington and Charlotte all made deals that basically prevented them from using future firsts on minor deals for years. That has protected them from making impulse buys using their future stock. I'd like to see the Spurs do something similar if they can get the right player in the exchange. I want to say Detroit used their pick to get Isaiah Stewart, who's been very good for them. Sacramento used theirs for Hueter, whom I haven't followed. Washington used their pick to get rid of Wall's contract for Westbrook, whom they flipped for a pick themselves. None of them are on the hook to convey a good pick, but they'll be able to use the good natural picks they have without fear of making a short-sighted in-season trade.

Good thoughts. I guess this is a situation where the catch-22 comes into play.

Like I stated in response to Dejounte, the Spurs theoretically be a non-play-in playoff team with KJ and Devin being as good as KAT and Ant or Siakam and Barnes or Mitchell and Gobert. I don't feel any of those teams are legit contenders though. They still lack that superstar piece.

The good thing about the draft, of course, is that you add talent without giving up what you currently have. Another way of acquiring your star (in theory) could be via trade, but in those cases you have to give things up. Atlanta and Minny gave up nothing more than picks and filler to pickup the pieces they felt were what they needed. That's what I'm thinking the Spurs could look to do. I say that with the understanding that these trades are not likely to occur during the season, and don't come around that often (though it seems like they have in more frequency recently).

There is very unlikely to be that trade out there... but it all our picks are swings at the fences to acquire our next centerpiece... couldn't they also be used in a trade to acquire the centerpiece that has a far higher degree of certainty to him?

scott
10-31-2022, 12:40 AM
I think the issue is that we have the tendency to look too far ahead. You’re saying we would still lack the superduperstar to become the legit contender we need to be but I’m saying there’s no issue with making the playoffs as-is. People act as if we made it to that point then the team would be capped out because the team will then never get its golden ticket to the top 3 pick in the draft. If Keldon becomes a star, that would have been two late lottery picks that the Spurs have made into stars. The Spurs won’t get stuck there because you can count on them to draft special talent from anywhere in the first round. And maybe they already have another in either Vassell or Sochan.

In many respects, this does point to how the Spurs have potentially positioned themselves well. Let's say Keldon and Devin to continue to develop in this path, and we do become a legit playoff team... we did it via the addition by subtraction we've discussed in another thread (trading DJM) and added a ton of valuable future picks in the process. If we get lucky, it could very well be a situation like New Orleans being a legit potential playoff contender this year and could possibly still land Wemby or Scoot.

Seventyniner
10-31-2022, 01:14 AM

I'll admit that I didn't put much thought into it. My premise was to find a veteran starting PG that his current team wouldn't mind giving up for the right deal while also increasing draft capital.

It looks like the only unprotected picks the Heat can offer are 2023 and 2028, and the lack of protection in 2023 wouldn't be worth much.

scott
10-31-2022, 01:27 AM
If we are looking for a vet PG to fill that last roster spot... did DJ Augustin ever land anywhere?

mystargtr34
10-31-2022, 02:09 AM
Spurs look like they have a strong foundation at the 2-5 spots with PG spot being the weak link. Tre's development has been great but he's still most suited to a backup role and that's probably his NBA ceiling (high-level backup or low-level starter).

Agree that Maxey and Fox would both elevate this group big time. Maxey is ungettable but Fox could be gettable but for a big package.

Terry Rozier would be a good fit with this group imo. Kind of a poor mans Maxey. His timeline is just a bit off though (1994) with Keldon and Vassell. He's been a 39% from 3 on nearly 8 attempts a game in his three seasons with Charlotte. Can be a good defender when motivated.

Sexton is another good option and it makes sense the Spurs were rumoured to be interested before the Jazz made the Mitchell trade.

A Hail Mary later this season or during the off season if the Cavs don't make any playoff noise may be one of Garland or Donovan Mitchell. Midget backcourts haven't ever really worked in the NBA imo.. there may come a point later this season or next where the Cavs realise they play their best with just one of them on the floor and they are willing to make a trade. Long shot I know but yeah. Either Garland or Mitchell would be perfect with this group, Mitchell can easily play the 1 (in fact imo that's his best position because he doesn't give up size) especially with Sochan and Keldon being able to handle the ball some and initiate offense.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-31-2022, 03:35 AM
I'll admit that I didn't put much thought into it. My premise was to find a veteran starting PG that his current team wouldn't mind giving up for the right deal while also increasing draft capital.

It looks like the only unprotected picks the Heat can offer are 2023 and 2028, and the lack of protection in 2023 wouldn't be worth much.

That Miami 2023 first could actually be sneaky good and is very likely for sale. The problem is Spurs would have to take the horrible Duncan Robinson contract. On the other hand with a name like that he’s destined to be a Spur isn’t he.

Don’t think the Spurs would do such a trade while they’re playing so well. Let’s see where they are after 30-35 games. For now a vet 3rd string PG for the min would do.

RC_Drunkford
10-31-2022, 05:17 AM
the takes here are truly hilarious. Dejounte Murray was a ball stopper, the team is better without him, but hey let's get DeAron Fox :lmao

stnick2261
10-31-2022, 08:23 AM
IIRC... in the history of the NBA, only 1 team has won the championship that was not a top 3 seed heading into the playoffs.

JeffDuncan
10-31-2022, 01:52 PM
If we are looking for a vet PG to fill that last roster spot... did DJ Augustin ever land anywhere?

He’s available. As are many others, young and old.

In relation to what some others have posted, a high-dollar trade would make no sense at all while the Spurs are still sorting out what they already have. If they get a high-dollar guy they’d have to start him, which would only be an obstacle to developing our young guards, just at the time they are starting to look intriguing.

I’d say, let it ride, unless injuries force a signing. If so, a replacement level player would be fine. Later in the season, do some 10-day contracts, maybe.

Ice009
11-01-2022, 03:21 AM
IIRC... in the history of the NBA, only 1 team has won the championship that was not a top 3 seed heading into the playoffs.

The Rockets won it as an 8th seed, but are you sure there isn't a team or two that finished 4th that may have won it?

stnick2261
11-01-2022, 08:14 AM
The Rockets won it as an 8th seed, but are you sure there isn't a team or two that finished 4th that may have won it?

You are mostly right.... Rockets won it as a 6th seed and Celtics won it as a 4th seed once.

1st seed won it 48 times
2nd seed won it 16 times
3rd seed won it 8 times

4th and 6th seeds both won it once each.

offset formation
11-01-2022, 08:51 AM
The payout for putting money on the Spurs as Champs in the preseason would be life changing. Think they were like 65,000/1

Looked the other day and we were already down to like 57,000/1

Where the believers at?

ace3g
11-01-2022, 05:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj2_3uDeu1M

RC_Drunkford
11-01-2022, 05:40 PM

Ice009
11-02-2022, 09:32 AM
You are mostly right.... Rockets won it as a 6th seed and Celtics won it as a 4th seed once.

1st seed won it 48 times
2nd seed won it 16 times
3rd seed won it 8 times

4th and 6th seeds both won it once each.

Yeah, sorry, I got that wrong. Rockets were the 6th seed. Not sure why I thought they were an 8th seed.

lol. Nice quote from Jakob.

mo7888
11-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Let's revisit this pivot for a minute... I'm going to assume that KJ and Devin have the 2 and 3 locked down going forward. I'm also going to assume that Sochan will end up locking down the 4 with his D and versatility. I believe this team needs a true alpha and I don't care if it comes via trade, FA (we know how that works out lol), or the draft. With the assumptions above who do we target to be that alpha that let's this team really compete and gives KJ and Devin more room to operate? I'm gonna throw out a few names for the sake of conversation:

Draft- Wembanyama and Scoot ..there are a few other really good players that will help but as true alpha types I think these are the guys. It'll take luck to get one of them.

Trade- Joker (he would be perfect but it's a pipedream. I'd give them any group of picks they want for him though. Joker will never ring in Denver but he has a chance here. Embiid might be available if things keep going the way they are in Philly. Any others?

FA- We know they don't usually come here. The only alpha level 'talent' I could see that we could get is Kyrie but, we aren't going to touch him with all that surrounds him right now and I don't see anybody else with that talent level that's attainable here.

Harry Callahan
11-05-2022, 10:45 AM
I like that BSPN is talkin' Spurs a little bit.

The Brett Brown hire is a good one. He could be our HC in waiting too. He had too many loons to deal with in Philly - all of their top players are kooks now and previously during the "process".

RC_Drunkford
11-05-2022, 02:58 PM
I like that BSPN is talkin' Spurs a little bit.

The Brett Brown hire is a good one. He could be our HC in waiting too. He had too many loons to deal with in Philly - all of their top players are kooks now and previously during the "process".

According to reporters he's the one responsible for the increase in 3-point attempts. Spurs finally playing modern basketball is solely because of Brett Brown.

TD 21
11-06-2022, 11:46 AM
If the Spurs thought they were truly in good shape from 2-5, then they probably wouldn't have traded Murray unless they just flat out didn't want to commit a massive contract in two years to an immature player with an archaic style.

According to reporters he's the one responsible for the increase in 3-point attempts. Spurs finally playing modern basketball is solely because of Brett Brown.

Either that or the go-to scorers, for the first time in this era ('15-) are volume 3-point shooters.