View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Timberwolves - Oct. 30, 2022

timvp
10-30-2022, 11:33 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-timberwolves-grades-7/

:danceclub

tbdog
10-30-2022, 11:37 PM
I see what you did there with the injury report.

offset formation
10-30-2022, 11:48 PM
Love me some Langford

Chinook
10-30-2022, 11:49 PM
People forget the passive impact GOAT candidates and HoFers have. They just do things a different way. We all should've remembered how different things were the year Tim left. Pop has that same impact. He's going to leave a massive hole when he's gone. Just like in 2016, the team might not drop off that much in performance. But the little things won't be there. They'll have to build them again, and it'll be a process. Pop was definitely one of the stories. Keldon was the headliner. KBD busting out one of his "legit rotation player" games when the team absolutely needed it was the side story. But Pop's system, and McDermott being unlocked due to Murray being gone are the main takeaway. Just as the Bubble gave us a glimpse into the offense Pop wanted, we're now seeing a more actualized version now that all of the ball-stoppers are finally gone. Johnson is developing into a star that doesn't need to hold the ball. He's actually only middle in the pack on the team in terms of seconds per touch according to NBA.com. Folks thinking this was possible with last year's roster and that the Spurs should've kept their PGs if they weren't tanking, you can see why they had to move on. If they can find more high-impact guys who can fit into this, then they'll take some steps forward.

Ice009
10-31-2022, 12:02 AM
Man, loved Romeo Langford's defense tonight. I love how hard he played. Looks like he also has some potential on offense, too. Hopefully he can get even more aggressive on that end. I am so glad the Spurs didn't cut him as we never heard much of him during the preseason.

lefty20
10-31-2022, 12:07 AM
KBD was the last man to make the team last year. Same for RL this year. And now both are in the rotation helping us get Ws against, supposed, quality opponents.

Pop gonna Pop, tbh.

MI21
10-31-2022, 12:07 AM
Pop is coaching his ass off, time to rest him.

Cabrito
10-31-2022, 12:08 AM
Romeo is a lot better than Joe W. Glad they kept him.

Ice009
10-31-2022, 12:10 AM
Romeo is a lot better than Joe W. Glad they kept him.

I really wonder if he was in danger of being cut, because it sure seemed like it towards the end of the preseason.

scott
10-31-2022, 12:19 AM
I know we're all supposed to be on team tank, but man is this team (and the winning) fun. While we all had some doubts (or were completely skeptical) - I think we all wanted Primo to work out. With him now gone, in many ways I feel like it has freed up the rotation for prospects that either have more potential, are a better fit, or are simply just more exciting to watch. So in that respect, it feels like addition by subtraction.

Dejounte
10-31-2022, 12:23 AM
I know we're all supposed to be on team tank, but man is this team (and the winning) fun. While we all had some doubts (or were completely skeptical) - I think we all wanted Primo to work out. With him now gone, in many ways I feel like it has freed up the rotation for prospects that either have more potential, are a better fit, or are simply just more exciting to watch. So in that respect, it feels like addition by subtraction.

The team has been doing the addition by subtraction thing for a while now but people refuse to believe in that concept. They thought we’d be much worse after DeMar left… that didn’t happen. And now, DJ… too early to tell, but it’s looking that way. Not everything should be viewed as binary. Plants grow better when you remove the obstacles that were blocking them from the sun.

scott
10-31-2022, 12:30 AM
The team has been doing the addition by subtraction thing for a while now but people refuse to believe in that concept. They thought we’d be much worse after DeMar left… that didn’t happen. And now, DJ… too early to tell, but it’s looking that way. Not everything should be viewed as binary. Plants grow better when you remove the obstacles that were blocking them from the sun.

I think a lot of us had a feeling that Demar may not be a big blow, but many people are probably taken aback by our improvement in the most DJM world. And I'm willing to go out on a limb and say we'd be worse with DJM on this team. The style of play required for him to be the team's lead dog (and I think we can probably agree there is no way he would have let KJ take that spotlight from him as lead dog) just doesn't fit into the beautiful game we are playing now.

I remember in the summer, you (and myself, to a lesser extent) feeling that this team wouldn't be drastically worse in DJM's absence. I'm not sure either of expected us to be playing this much better though. Of course, we have been shooting very well and all of that could turn on a dime.

mystargtr34
10-31-2022, 12:42 AM
That ‘chronic exposure, terminal’ had me laughing out loud for 30 seconds. Had to put the phone down and gather myself before continuing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-31-2022, 01:05 AM
Dang these Spurs for getting me excited to watch them play.

Another great performance. As much as a high draft pick would be great for the rebuild, winning is even better.

I’m still not flipping my 25 win prediction….yet.

tbdog
10-31-2022, 01:59 AM

Tbh, primo showed a lot of flashes.

John B
10-31-2022, 02:33 AM
Wow just wow. Each player has sold to Pop’s egalitarian basketball, playing hard and they’re seeing the result. I like the game that Langford brought tonight. I hope it continuous. Blake I hope is okay be back soon. Just everything is crazy.

mystargtr34
10-31-2022, 02:39 AM
Just watched some of Pop's post game interview and he seemed to be really excited about the young guys. He almost sounded like a fan with excitement and surprise at how well the young guys were playing as a team and also how good some of them were individually.

Talked about Romeo being really good defensively with his quick feet, long arms and anticipation. Talked about Sochan's game and even said when he gets a 3 point shot he's gonna be tough.

Rekon this group has got Pop juiced. Good to see.

szkorhetz
10-31-2022, 03:31 AM
“As a 30-year-old whose been on six or seven teams, I haven’t had this much fun playing basketball. It’s just been a joy to be a part of.” -Doug Mc

I get glimpses of the Grit&Grind Grizzlies mixed with the '14 Beautiful Basketball. I love the way we play right now and the players really seem to enjoy playing with each other.

ragas
10-31-2022, 03:47 AM
What also impresses me: They don't give a shit about the Primo scandal

RC_Drunkford
10-31-2022, 05:11 AM
let's get that 1st seed

Mr. Body
10-31-2022, 05:46 AM

The guard corps of the future we had to begin last season is all gone, White, Murray, Primo. The team looks more dangerous.

Dejounte
10-31-2022, 05:49 AM
The guard corps of the future we had to begin last season is all gone, White, Murray, Primo. The team looks more dangerous.

Don’t forget Lonnie. Feels like just yesterday. The Spurs moved on hella quick.

mo7888
10-31-2022, 06:16 AM
People forget the passive impact GOAT candidates and HoFers have. They just do things a different way. We all should've remembered how different things were the year Tim left. Pop has that same impact. He's going to leave a massive hole when he's gone. Just like in 2016, the team might not drop off that much in performance. But the little things won't be there. They'll have to build them again, and it'll be a process. Pop was definitely one of the stories. Keldon was the headliner. KBD busting out one of his "legit rotation player" games when the team absolutely needed it was the side story. But Pop's system, and McDermott being unlocked due to Murray being gone are the main takeaway. Just as the Bubble gave us a glimpse into the offense Pop wanted, we're now seeing a more actualized version now that all of the ball-stoppers are finally gone. Johnson is developing into a star that doesn't need to hold the ball. He's actually only middle in the pack on the team in terms of seconds per touch according to NBA.com. Folks thinking this was possible with last year's roster and that the Spurs should've kept their PGs if they weren't tanking, you can see why they had to move on. If they can find more high-impact guys who can fit into this, then they'll take some steps forward.

To me, this is the biggest issue when we talk about acquiring a PG over in the 'way to early pivot' thread. I don't want a ball stopper and I kind of feel like Fox is a ball stopper (although this isn't an anti-fox post just using him as an example). If we acquire someone I want guys who can move without the ball willingly and fit what we're doing. I've always believed this offense is a force multiplier and I want to lean into that structure with whomever we might target.

Dejounte
10-31-2022, 06:21 AM
To me, this is the biggest issue when we talk about acquiring a PG over in the 'way to early pivot' thread. I don't want a ball stopper and I kind of feel like Fox is a ball stopper (although this isn't an anti-fox post just using him as an example). If we acquire someone I want guys who can move without the ball willingly and fit what we're doing. I've always believed this offense is a force multiplier and I want to lean into that structure with whomever we might target.

Basically a rich man’s Tre Jones that isn’t overpaid, whoever that is

It aint Ben Simmons, that’s for sure…

Someone like prime Chauncey Billups would be perfect for this team.

mo7888
10-31-2022, 06:26 AM

Yep and I'm not sure but I think Tre still has some upside left to explore. So I'd be patient and real picky... Tre, and Blake if he's not hurt, and KJ seem like they can handle the job from night to night... Let's look for that 'Prime Chauncey' or the next TP but not force it by targeting a ball stopper..

Dejounte
10-31-2022, 06:28 AM
Heck, prime Jrue Holiday on this team would be nasty too…

a point guard who is a 1-2-3 defensive stopper.

if there was a trade that can be had with JRich, McDermott for Jrue, I think that would give this team a serious boost.

Brazil
10-31-2022, 06:50 AM
this team... I swear.. cannot even tank properly :lol

Mr. Body
10-31-2022, 07:06 AM
this team... I swear.. cannot even tank properly :lol

"This team sucks and will be tanking" was just an ESPN thing. Never listen to ESPN when it comes to sports analysis. They're idiots.

Spursfanfromafar
10-31-2022, 07:09 AM

His brother, Tyus would have been a great fit. He is Trae with a better jumper and a little bit more accurate passing. Too bad, the Grizz have him locked up for some years.

tbdog
10-31-2022, 07:42 AM

I actually wanted spurs to overpay for tyus Jones during the last offseason. But they seem to want the cap space.

tbdog
10-31-2022, 07:43 AM
His brother, Tyus would have been a great fit. He is Trae with a better jumper and a little bit more accurate passing. Too bad, the Grizz have him locked up for some years.

Lol. Just saw that after my post.

Chinook
10-31-2022, 08:11 AM

I think if Derrick White came back to the team now, he'd fit in great. Without the pressure to be "next" and with the freedom to be the role-player he has been with Boston, he'd be in many ways a better Tre. Not as fast, but basically everything else would be a plus.

That said, I do think the team would be well served to not tech solely into this style of play. The team is dependent on the three to allow their movement to work. If the shot isn't falling, they're relying on Johnson and Vassell trying to create inside at a high-enough rate to overcome a modern NBA offense. I don't see that going well for the team. Yes, you'd ideally want someone who completely fits into what the Spurs are doing. But they can afford to bend that style a bit if the player in question can do their part in team play most of the time. The "Beautiful Game" was a mode the Spurs could enter. It wasn't the entirety of their offensive arsenal.

mo7888
10-31-2022, 08:42 AM
I think if Derrick White came back to the team now, he'd fit in great. Without the pressure to be "next" and with the freedom to be the role-player he has been with Boston, he'd be in many ways a better Tre. Not as fast, but basically everything else would be a plus.

That said, I do think the team would be well served to not tech solely into this style of play. The team is dependent on the three to allow their movement to work. If the shot isn't falling, they're relying on Johnson and Vassell trying to create inside at a high-enough rate to overcome a modern NBA offense. I don't see that going well for the team. Yes, you'd ideally want someone who completely fits into what the Spurs are doing. But they can afford to bend that style a bit if the player in question can do their part in team play most of the time. The "Beautiful Game" was a mode the Spurs could enter. It wasn't the entirety of their offensive arsenal.

I understand where you're coming from and the Beautiful games wasn't the entirety of what they could do and having a go-to guy was important to them at certain points in a game and it'll be important to this team at some point as well. The difference I see is that team was a championship team and this one is at the very beginning of it's life so to speak. I don't want the go to player right now. I want them to fully embrace this style until it's just natural for them and then add that go-to guy who can still play the beautiful game within the system. It's more a matter of timing than anything. I don't feel like we should be trying to check all of the boxes as if we were competing for a championship prematurely. Just let them play this system and take some lumps and get better as they continue to mature and then look to add those pieces when they are ready.

Now the Derrick White thing I get. He plays a role, keeps things flowing and plays D. All of that is fine and he wouldn't hinder growth at all nor would he detract from this style of play I just don't think it's needed right now or more precisely I don't it's worth giving up assets for because this team can already play like they need to and giving assets to get 'better' in the win column isn't in the best interest of this team long term. I think patience is what we need right now.

Brazil
10-31-2022, 09:36 AM
"This team sucks and will be tanking" was just an ESPN thing. Never listen to ESPN when it comes to sports analysis. They're idiots.

I don't need to listen to ESPN to know that this is the year to tank. That's what the team should do.

TheChillFactor
10-31-2022, 10:30 AM
we missed on Luka Sandwich but we now have Langford, Roby and Johnson out of that draft.

Johnson was a home run and Langford can grow a lot more in my opinion. Roby looks like a rotation player too, if he can keep developing.

DAF86
10-31-2022, 11:19 AM
The result was another astonishing win against a much more talented team.

At which point are we going to start considering the fact that maybe the Spurs aren't as talentless as we thought?

The Truth #6
10-31-2022, 11:25 AM
Sixers and Wolves may end up being meh, so we should keep that in mind too, but obviously more talented than us. But we have no stars, so less hierarchical divisions among players, which I like. So less material for infighting over roles, arguably.

Mr. Body
10-31-2022, 11:45 AM
I don't need to listen to ESPN to know that this is the year to tank. That's what the team should do.

Not what I said. I said you should never believe that this particular team was going to tank.

Mr. Body
10-31-2022, 11:45 AM
At which point are we going to start considering the fact that maybe the Spurs aren't as talentless as we thought?

Ding ding ding.

Brazil
10-31-2022, 01:18 PM
Not what I said. I said you should never believe that this particular team was going to tank.

If the Spurs wanted to tank they would have not done anything different.

exstatic
10-31-2022, 01:42 PM

If they were dead serious about tanking, they would have traded Keldon and Vassell.

Mr. Body
10-31-2022, 02:56 PM

Oops, they're winning games. Guess you're wrong.

jhfenton
10-31-2022, 03:43 PM

If their top priority were losing this season, they would have prioritized trading Poeltl and maybe Richardson. People who followed the team closely knew that Poeltl would raise the floor.

Uriel
10-31-2022, 04:00 PM
Pop becomes an elite coach when Brett Brown is around.

Brazil
10-31-2022, 04:09 PM
If they were dead serious about tanking, they would have traded Keldon and Vassell.

when you tank you don't trade your young assets.

Spurs are rebuilding and a high draft pick would be great in that plan, Spurs surely did not make any moves to become a contender this year.

Brazil
10-31-2022, 04:11 PM
If their top priority were losing this season, they would have prioritized trading Poeltl and maybe Richardson. People who followed the team closely knew that Poeltl would raise the floor.

raise the floor to what ? maintaining a 70% wr the whole season ? :lol Poeltl

Chomag
10-31-2022, 04:14 PM
Primo DNP - Wardrobe malfunction

poopbox
10-31-2022, 04:48 PM
The old man might still have some juice left as a coach...his rotations, line ups, and adjustments have been almost flawless. I even liked the way he just let them play through that awful 4th in Indy and didn't pull Jakob when they started hacking him.

Makes me wonder just what the hell was going on with Pop when he was trotting out Forbes, Belli, and Mills, to combine for 7 threes and give up 60 points. Headscratching tbh

K...
10-31-2022, 04:53 PM
The old man might still have some juice left as a coach...his rotations, line ups, and adjustments have been almost flawless. I even liked the way he just let them play through that awful 4th in Indy and didn't pull Jakob when they started hacking him.

Makes me wonder just what the hell was going on with Pop when he was trotting out Forbes, Belli, and Mills, to combine for 7 threes and give up 60 points. Headscratching tbh

Easy, not enough young talent, trying to unlock spacing for the stars, it wasn't great but you make a team to exploit talent. Now maybe signing better guys might have helped but thats another can of worms. LMA and derozan are just moody guys and frustrating to work with. Ball dominant “my touches“ couldn't run with this team

jhfenton
10-31-2022, 08:18 PM
raise the floor to what ? maintaining a 70% wr the whole season ? :lol Poeltl

No. Preseason, I was thinking 35 wins with Poeltl vs 25 wins without.

And to me, a 35-win season with Poeltl is the worst outcome. 40+ wins with the kids would reflect some real growth. 25 wins would mean good lottery odds. 35 is a repeat of last season.

Brazil
11-01-2022, 06:36 AM
No. Preseason, I was thinking 35 wins with Poeltl vs 25 wins without.

And to me, a 35-win season with Poeltl is the worst outcome. 40+ wins with the kids would reflect some real growth. 25 wins would mean good lottery odds. 35 is a repeat of last season.

I don't believe Poeltl represents a +10 in win columns but anyway keeping him is not a sign that Spurs are not lurking towards a high draft pick next