PDA

View Full Version : The Big Man Rotation

Mr. Body
11-12-2022, 02:20 PM
This is premature -- Zach Collins isn't back from injury yet, Bassey is still a work in progress -- and Poeltl's existence on the roster will become more of a question, but worth considering:

Does Bassey's emergence cause issues with the return of Collins? Does Pop value knowledge of the playbooks over raw production?

Pure PFs - Jeremy Sochan, Isaiah Roby

Centers - Jakob Poeltl, Charles Bassey, Georgiu Dieng

PF/Centers - Zach Collins

After watching him for thirteen games, I don't see Sochan as a small ball center. He doesn't rebound well enough and he's not a shotblocker. With the rise of Bassey, Roby is on the outs, and I include Dieng for completion. If we're seeing Dieng on the floor, something is going wrong.

Poeltl and Sochan continue to start. Question is whether Collins and Bassey eat each other's minutes (one way or the other). I'd prefer to see them both getting minutes.

I continue to see Collins as a potential PF in sets. He's too weak to threaten the biggest centers, but he's mobile and seems to cover the perimeter well enough; plus, he can shoot.

I think there are the two biggest questions:

1. Does Pop go back to Zollins, or has Bassey taken his spot?
2. Will Pop try Bassey alongside Collins? Good size, good mobility, two shot blockers, both can potentially shoot.

We'll see what happens.

mo7888
11-12-2022, 02:42 PM
This is premature -- Zach Collins isn't back from injury yet, Bassey is still a work in progress -- and Poeltl's existence on the roster will become more of a question, but worth considering:

Does Bassey's emergence cause issues with the return of Collins? Does Pop value knowledge of the playbooks over raw production?

After watching him for thirteen games, I don't see Sochan as a small ball center. He doesn't rebound well enough and he's not a shotblocker. With the rise of Bassey, Roby is on the outs, and I include Dieng for completion. If we're seeing Dieng on the floor, something is going wrong.

Poeltl and Sochan continue to start. Question is whether Collins and Bassey eat each other's minutes (one way or the other). I'd prefer to see them both getting minutes.

I continue to see Collins as a potential PF in sets. He's too weak to threaten the biggest centers, but he's mobile and seems to cover the perimeter well enough; plus, he can shoot.

2. Will Pop try Bassey alongside Collins? Good size, good mobility, two shot blockers, both can potentially shoot.

We'll see what happens.

I don't think Bassey has taken his spot yet because the sample size is to small. If he keeps this pace up for the 6 weeks Collins is out then he may very well. I do think they can play together against certain matchups though. For me, the thing Bassey is going to need to do is keep his 3 pt percentage up if he's going to get Collins spot this quickly.

Dejounte
11-12-2022, 02:45 PM
Forcing Collins to be more mobile than he should be, especially when the guy is having foot problems, is a bad idea.

Sochan should be the bar for all incoming PFs for quickness and Collins is nowhere near that. That seems like the direction they’re going anyway with KBD, Roby taking those minutes and all three having a similar archetype.

If Poeltl stays, then Collins is likely gone. Collins is better than Eubanks but he’s still nothing to write home about.

On the other hand, playing Bassey at PF will be similar to how they played Davontae Cacok at PF. Yeah, looks ok but it isn’t playing to their strengths.

timvp
11-12-2022, 02:51 PM
Good thread.

1) My guess is that Zollins is still in the lead but if Bassey continues to play well, it may be his job by the time Zollins returns.

2) I don't see Zollins as a PF outside of emergency situations. Not mobile enough defensively, not skilled enough offensively. I think Sochan, KBD and Roby are all ahead of him in the PF rotation. Probably KJ and McDermott too if the other team isn't playing two big bigs.

SPURt
11-12-2022, 02:54 PM
Do we expect Jakob to finish the year in SA? Bassey has been really really good, if anything, it makes selling high on Jakob easier to stomach.

slick'81
11-12-2022, 02:56 PM
Do we expect Jakob to finish the year in SA? Bassey has been really really good, if anything, it makes selling high on Jakob easier to stomach.

Jak's value isn't getting any higher in the final year of his deal

BackHome
11-12-2022, 03:17 PM
Yeah it's going to be hard for Collins just to come back and start getting minutes with his injury his conditioning is going to be really bad. But it's his last year in a contract year and Pop has usually given these guy minutes so they can sign them or they can get signed somewhere else.

As far as Roby on the outs I don't see it I think they like what he has and are willing to develop him I see him staying as our backup PF.

I do think Sochan can play small ball C at times but I like him staying at PF for the most part and one thing with Poodle and Bassey is that both are good rebounders. With Sochan he is going to be playing at a lot of point forward so it's good to have a big in the paint that can get ya rebounds and box out.

I don't see Dieng here next season unless we trade Poetl and get some rookie C but that might not happen - They might keep Collins only if the price is right but I do like his fiery approach the little stick doesn't back down and plays hard

Maddog
11-12-2022, 03:24 PM
Poetle gets all the trade talk, but could see Collins getting it if (IF) Bassey keeps this up

Fusternino
11-12-2022, 03:55 PM
This the deepest front court (note that I did not say best) this team has had in years. The days of lineups with four perimeter players are over!

scott
11-12-2022, 04:24 PM
Yeah it's going to be hard for Collins just to come back and start getting minutes with his injury his conditioning is going to be really bad. But it's his last year in a contract year and Pop has usually given these guy minutes so they can sign them or they can get signed somewhere else.

As far as Roby on the outs I don't see it I think they like what he has and are willing to develop him I see him staying as our backup PF.

I do think Sochan can play small ball C at times but I like him staying at PF for the most part and one thing with Poodle and Bassey is that both are good rebounders. With Sochan he is going to be playing at a lot of point forward so it's good to have a big in the paint that can get ya rebounds and box out.

I don't see Dieng here next season unless we trade Poetl and get some rookie C but that might not happen - They might keep Collins only if the price is right but I do like his fiery approach the little stick doesn't back down and plays hard

Don't we have another option year on Collins?

mo7888
11-12-2022, 05:01 PM
Don't we have another option year on Collins?

We do..

pad300
11-12-2022, 09:56 PM

We'll see what happens.

I disagree with your player classifications

Good 3/4 tweener - Sochan (is not a pure PF because he can defend down from 1-4, also has ball handling/creative skills that you don't expect from your PF. To become a star player, he needs a jumpshot.)
Bad 3/4 Tweener - KBD (bad tweener as he can't keep up with mobile 3's or fight with strong 4's - not that there are many of those any more. )
4/5 tweener - Roby (we will see if he is a good tweener or a bad tweener; to be a good tweener he has to able to defend both spots, not have trouble with extremes of either. He's not a pure 4 as he has spent a lot of his Career [with OKC] playing the 5.)
C's - Poeltl, Bassey, Dieng, Collins

With this many roster spots used on 5, I expect a trade will happen sometime - I certainly think they have prepared for it, especially by bringing Bassey. It's between Poeltl and Collins as to who goes... Not sure if they go for the biggest haul on the trade or the best value...

jermaine
11-13-2022, 12:25 PM
I'd loooove to see Roby at PF an Bassey at C for the 2nd unit.

TD 21
11-14-2022, 12:27 AM
I said beforehand that Sochan wasn't a credible small ball C option, just like I did that Collins is a pure C.

I don't really think Bassey's emergence changes much, if anything. When he returns, I still expect . . .

- Collins to get first crack
- Them playing together to not be a viable option (sure, depending on who's available and the opposition in a particular game, you might see it briefly)
- Poeltl to get traded even if I'm struggling to find the obvious team

wildbill2u
11-14-2022, 01:46 PM
A wealth of options on our front line is something we haven't seen in a long time--and the addition of Roby and especially Bassey has caused that. But the plethora of frontline guys with different skillsets just emphasizes the problems that come with them. Fitting everybody in and finding our top starting five could be a problem--or Pop just wings it and keeps substituting according to how folks are playing in matchups.

1/ Sochan. Everybody's fair-haired boy [pun intended] Forget the pipe dream of Sochan defending centers. I'm not even sold on him defending serious PFs with size and mobility. Too small. Finesse guy not a blocker or bruiser. He's really a 3 who can't shoot yet. But he can do some Alley Oops and layups when he gets wide open under the basket--if he doesn't get blocked. And he can't be slotted at the 3 because then what do you do with KJ. ?? Been trying to remember guys who made it as starters in the league with only major skillset as defenders. Is he one of them???? I guess we will keep on pounding this square peg into a round hole for a while. I still think taking him as a lottery pick was a reach. Please make me wrong!

2. Kendall --Slimmed down enough over the summer to nail down the 3 slot as long as shooting holds out. The idea that this kid will be the All-star face of the Spurs long term is a little scary. I suppose next year's pick will take care of that--but Sochan didn't hit that mark.

3. Poertl--Really good second tier center. Better defender than offender, (:lmao) but can hold down the job as starter because he is good enough in several areas. Maybe he is good trade bait, but He's been exposed by the hack-a-Poertl so he can't help a serious contender in the playoffs.

4. Collins--I was hoping he was over his injury proclivity, but maybe not. Offers something in outside shooting but not the big banger, blocker and rebounder I thought he might be. NOrmally Pop would reinstate him as the #2 center in the rotation when he comes back, but he is going to be way behind the curve if the young guys like Bassey and Roby keep playing well.

KBD--An every -once- in- a- while utility guy. Every once in a while he'll have a good game on both ends of the floor and you'll think, "OK, he's gonna take the next step up" but then he'll go back to mediocre, missing 3s, layups and generally looking like a stiff. This is not a sentimental business where you keep hoping for a guy to do better. He's expendable in a trade IMHO but I don't know anything about salary dumps and stuff.

McKermitt the Frog--can still shoot better than most of the team, much less anyone else at the PF position and probably needs to be at SF but there you run into KJ who has to be on the court.. Moves great without the ball. Wish he could defend better, but he's probably OK as 2 team guy. Trade bait?

Roby--came in late and just as everyone thought he was a great young addition, along comes Bassey to get all the attention. So far he's shooting, assisting, rebounding, etc. bout the same as KBD and actually is getting paid a little more. Let the best man win.

Dieng. Veteran playing out the string still has some skills and is happy to just be in the league I imagine. Not a big factor nor a problem in the locker room because he knows his job and his place.

Bassey--looks like a big time talent at a young age with not even much experience. Perhaps the Basketball Gods have decided they owed us one after Kwahi. Whatever. The biggest problem now is where and when to slot him in. He's gonna force Barlow to develop into a PF. I say you have to find him some important minutes on the court every game and change his contract so he can play more than 50 games with the big club. Might be our best big man by the end of the season.

BackHome
11-14-2022, 03:39 PM
Pretty much agree with everything you said only would push back on Sochan not being able to guard PF - I think he can easily guard almost every PF - yeah Banchero will be a tough matchup but you expect that from a 1st round pick. Also, I do like all the other things Sochan brings to the team he definitely reminds me of Diaw.

Also, if you look at the 2022 draft just on stats HUGE difference on production between top 6 picks and everyone else. So that I will continue to be on the Tank bandwagon

As far as Bassey have to say very impressed with how slow the game seems to him. The guy is not the most athletic player but he just knows angles/position and plays within himself. As far as Barlow I didn’t think he would make in the NBA as a true Center it is PF or bust for him.