PDA

View Full Version : If Messi fails to win against Saudi Arabia - Where would that rank in all time worst performances by a Star?

JakeCuenca
11-15-2022, 02:55 PM
Legit Question.

If Argentina fails to win in their opening match, how would that affect Messi.

I’ve never seen a supposed all time great fail so bad in a World Cup opening match.

lefty
11-15-2022, 03:02 PM
He will score against Saudi Arabia tbh

Besides, he can't lose with Team Leaders Scaloni and Emi Martinez

JakeCuenca
11-15-2022, 03:19 PM
He will score against Saudi Arabia tbh

Besides, he can't lose with Team Leaders Scaloni and Emi Martinez

How would you rank Messi now in term of top impact for his own team.

imo

Martinez, De Paul etc probably offer more value now. Aka Pau Gaol, Andrew Bynum but Messi still getting the credit just like Kobe.

ElNono
11-15-2022, 09:40 PM
Legit Question.

If Argentina fails to win in their opening match, how would that affect Messi.

I’ve never seen a supposed all time great fail so bad in a World Cup opening match.

Maradona lost against Cameroon in the WC 90 opener, tbh... still made the final tho

dunkman
11-16-2022, 03:01 AM
Argentina didn’t lose in long time, though any qualified team is there for a reason.

diego
11-16-2022, 07:21 AM
what a stupid premise, messi could play great and the team lose, he could play like ass and they win... i know 9 year olds that understand the game better than this, i hope for humanity's sake you are trolling

Bynumite
11-16-2022, 08:04 AM
Saudi Arabia is a non-factor. Historically, Argentina has been Mexico's daddy and Poland is gonna park the bus and hope Lewandowski pull a goal out of his ass.

Argentina's gonna comfortably finish 1st.

Bynumite
11-16-2022, 08:16 AM
Honestly, i'm seriously considering putting some money on midget and company to win it all. No, this is not a jynx attempt. I wouldn't waste my money just to jynx midget at the world cup :lol

Argentina's group is a cakewalk and their side of the bracket is also nothing special.

Netherlands are a good team but not contender level imo. The English are chokers and already had their fluke deep run in Euro 2020.

France has been steadily declining since World Cup 2018. Struggling immensely against lesser competition these days.

The stars seem aligned for Argentina tbh imho.

dunkman
11-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Messi was a bad call (tbh, Neuer went so carelessly on Higuaín, they can use a clip of that as a definition what’s a penalty on Wikipedia), calmer forwards and Di Maria injury from winning the mundial in 2014 with Argentina. That one was close, so it’s definitely possible. But other teams are better this time around imo.

hater
11-18-2022, 09:39 AM
Maradona lost against Cameroon in the WC 90 opener, tbh... still made the final tho

:lmao comparing cameroon to Camelroom :lmao

lefty
11-18-2022, 11:37 AM

:lol Elnono is trolling tbh

He knows 1990 Cameroon was 1 goal away from reaching the semi-finals

ElNono
11-18-2022, 01:51 PM

I was just responding to "I’ve never seen a supposed all time great fail so bad in a World Cup opening match.", tbh...

hater
11-18-2022, 02:11 PM

:lmao

I hope so :lol

hater
11-19-2022, 12:15 AM
I was just responding to "I’ve never seen a supposed all time great fail so bad in a World Cup opening match.", tbh...

This is a dumb way to live ma nig

Comparing Roger Milla- Omam Biyik Cameroon to a bunch of camels is embarrassing

Be better :tu

ElNono
11-19-2022, 05:48 AM
This is a dumb way to live ma nig

Comparing Roger Milla- Omam Biyik Cameroon to a bunch of camels is embarrassing

Be better :tu

Bunch of camels are in the World Cup and Colombia isn't.... give them some respect...

DAF86
11-19-2022, 11:47 AM

The fuck are you talking about? Messi is undefeated in WC's opening matches: 3 wins and 1 draw. :lol

11-22-2022, 07:17 AM
my nigga daf on suicide watch right now :lol

Brazil
11-22-2022, 07:24 AM
The fuck are you talking about? Messi is undefeated in WC's opening matches: 3 wins and 1 draw. :lol

:lol

dunkman
11-22-2022, 07:35 AM
Mundial starts in elimination phase, but still to lose to Saudi Arabia in group stages can’t be good. Poland won’t be a walk trough. They will depend a lot on results from other teams.

Brazil
11-22-2022, 07:42 AM
fun fact... coach of saudi arabia is french

dunkman
11-22-2022, 07:55 AM
When talent is reduced, the only way is to get as good coaching as possible.

lefty
11-22-2022, 08:51 AM
Hey, at least his scored a goal

hater
11-22-2022, 10:05 AM

Not anymore :lmao

hater
11-22-2022, 10:08 AM
When talent is reduced, the only way is to get as good coaching as possible.

Hes already begging for patience from the fans :lmao

FrostKing
11-22-2022, 10:14 AM
Dybala (sub) worth more than whole Saudi team

lefty
11-22-2022, 10:56 AM
Not anymore :lmao

pgardn
11-22-2022, 04:33 PM
Mundial starts in elimination phase, but still to lose to Saudi Arabia in group stages can’t be good. Poland won’t be a walk trough. They will depend a lot on results from other teams.

If Argentina wins their two remaining elimination games they are through? So its still in their hands.
I think. Maybe my brain has broken like Hater's...

lefty
11-22-2022, 05:38 PM
fun fact... coach of saudi arabia is french

Hervé Renard!

African legend, better looking Claude Leroy

dunkman
11-22-2022, 05:43 PM
If Argentina wins their two remaining elimination games they are through? So its still in their hands.
I think. Maybe my brain has broken like Hater's...

Mexico vs Poland 0:0 was a great result for Argentina and Saudi Arabia too. Argentina could still recover winning both games vs those teams.

pgardn
11-22-2022, 06:31 PM
Mexico vs Poland 0:0 was a great result for Argentina and Saudi Arabia too. Argentina could still recover winning both games vs those teams.

Oh I see.
You are talking about their placement within the group.

Ariel
11-22-2022, 07:05 PM
Meh. Personally, I don't make a big fuss out of it. If we're good enough, no big deal, we'll dig ourselves out of this hole by beating Mexico and Poland. And if we can't, well, losing now or getting stomped on by France in the round of 16 isn't all that different to me.

FrostKing
11-22-2022, 07:18 PM
Watching recording now

Why is Saudi team all black?

FrostKing
11-22-2022, 07:24 PM
I support "bad guys" like Iran & even Russia

Saudi Arabia maybe because I've lived so long in the USA - my most disliked nation. I hope we can revenge many of our friends in Game2.

DEUS VELT!

lefty
11-22-2022, 07:42 PM
Watching recording now

Because they have always had brown and black people

FrostKing
11-22-2022, 08:01 PM
Because they have always had brown and black people
They were hiding under the sheik

hater
11-22-2022, 08:27 PM
Watching recording now

Why is french team all black?

Brazil
11-22-2022, 08:31 PM
Hervé Renard!

African legend, better looking Claude Leroy

Phenomanul
11-22-2022, 09:37 PM
I’m not Team Argentina fan but some of those nullified goals looked legit. The third nullified goal was clearly offsides - so no issue there. On the 2nd nullified goal, however, the offsides player did not participate in the actual play on goal so I think it should’ve counted. Similarly, the first nullified goal looked borderline good as well. It shouldn’t matter if Messi is leaning in behind the defensive line when the pass is made, his feet are parallel with the defender’s feet.

FrostKing
11-22-2022, 10:09 PM

FrostKing
11-22-2022, 10:30 PM
9/11 boys deserve a Polish ass kicking

dunkman
11-23-2022, 03:46 AM
I doubt Slovenian refs had any interest helping SA, and off-side isn’t called from were the foots are. Those forwards should learn to be running always slightly on-side. Still remember the WC final 2014 where Messi throw a great assist from right extreme, only to find Higuain looking at German defenders and still running like 1m off-side.

DAF86
11-23-2022, 10:12 AM

Meh, Spain lost the first game in 2010 and ended up winning it all. Still, pretty big fuck up not to take advantage of that first game, now you are playing for your life in every single game.

hater
11-23-2022, 10:15 AM
Meh, Spain lost the first game in 2010 and ended up winning it all. Still, pretty big fuck up not to take advantage of that first game, now you are playing for your life in every single game.

:lmao comparing one of the best teams ever assembled to a bunch or Argentine Chicharrones :lmao

DAF86
11-23-2022, 10:20 AM
:lmao comparing one of the best teams ever assembled to a bunch or Argentine Chicharrones :lmao

1990 Argentina, 1994 Italy. There's tons of examples of teams losing their first game and then making it far. Argentina has a good team, but unfortunately most of their players got to the WC without the fitness/performance level required. Let's see if they can get back on track vs Mexico and Poland, if not, they weren't going to do much anyway, tbh.

lefty
11-23-2022, 10:34 AM
1990 Argentina, 1994 Italy. There's tons of examples of teams losing their first game and then making it far. Argentina has a good team, but unfortunately most of their players got to the WC without the fitness/performance level required. Let's see if they can get back on track vs Mexico and Poland, if not, they weren't going to do much anyway, tbh.
1990 : Cameroon was 1 goal away form reaching the semis tbh, they had a good team

1994 : Italy lost to Rep of Ireland I can agree with you, that wasn't a good look for Italy but they eventually reached the final

They barely qualified tohugh lol

Pos
Team

v
t
e

Pld
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
Pts
Qualification

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Flag_of_Mexico.svg/23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_national_football_team)
Advance to knockout stage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup#Knockout_stage)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Flag_of_Ireland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Republic of Ireland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_football_team)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/Flag_of_Norway.svg/21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_national_football_team)

dunkman
11-23-2022, 10:44 AM
1990 had great defense, Maradona and Cani to pull out some offensive magic, and Goycoechea to stop penalties. Plus Argentina ended third in the group.
1994 had Baggio to completely put the team on his shoulders. Italy classified being third in the group, that was necessary with 24 teams, but with 32 teams is not.

It’s not quite comparable.

Brazil
11-23-2022, 11:33 AM
Spain having fun :lol

DAF86
11-23-2022, 01:31 PM
1990 had great defense, Maradona and Cani to pull out some offensive magic, and Goycoechea to stop penalties. Plus Argentina ended third in the group.
1994 had Baggio to completely put the team on his shoulders. Italy classified being third in the group, that was necessary with 24 teams, but with 32 teams is not.

It’s not quite comparable.

And Argentina are the current Copa America champions and have Messi. What's your point?

If they find their form, they should qualify. The problem is: will they find their form?

11-23-2022, 01:48 PM
fap going the "non issue" route, of course :lol

lefty
11-23-2022, 03:24 PM
And Argentina are the current Michel Ratón champions and have Missi. What's your point?

dunkman
11-23-2022, 05:37 PM
And Argentina are the current Copa America champions and have Messi. What's your point?

If they find their form, they should qualify. The problem is: will they find their form?

It’s not for granted Argentina will win both Poland and Mexico to qualify. They have to end at least second. Being third is not good enough like it was in 90’. The 90’ Argentina defended excellent, had Maradona - enough said, Cani that was a very skilled forward and the fastest ever player and Goycoechea that is the best penalty stopper that I have ever seen.

Not to take anything from Messi, top 5 ever player at least, I think Lautaro and Di María are excellent players too, but the defenders are average at best. It will be complicated, because all the teams that qualify can make goals for sure.

Copa América was a year ago. Colombia was third, Peru forth. Neither Colombia or Peru qualified for the mundial. A lot has changed.

DAF86
11-23-2022, 06:15 PM

Do you want me to stay in the corner and cry? :lol

ElNono
11-23-2022, 06:18 PM

:lol how about calling a spade a spade? Sure, this team has a chance to recover, but there should be no excuses for that historical, embarrassing loss.

DAF86
11-23-2022, 06:21 PM
It’s not for granted Argentina will win both Poland and Mexico to qualify. They have to end at least second. Being third is not good enough like it was in 90’. The 90’ Argentina defended excellent, had Maradona - enough said, Cani that was a very skilled forward and the fastest ever player and Goycoechea that is the best penalty stopper that I have ever seen.

Not to take anything from Messi, top 5 ever player at least, I think Lautaro and Di María are excellent players too, but the defenders are average at best. It will be complicated, because all the teams that qualify can make goals for sure.

Copa América was a year ago. Colombia was third, Peru forth. Neither Colombia or Peru qualified for the mundial. A lot has changed.

The defenders are the best thing that Argentina has. It's not a matter of quality, Argentina has quality to spare to beat Mexico and Poland, the question is whether they will find their form or not. If they do, they will qualify, probably even 1st because I doubt Saudi Arabia wins both games. If they don't, they might lose and get eliminated but if you get eliminated in a group vs Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Poland you weren't going to do much anyways, tbh.

DAF86
11-23-2022, 06:22 PM
:lol how about calling a spade a spade? Sure, this team has a chance to recover, but there should be no excuses for that historical, embarrassing loss.

And where didn't a do that? Are you imagining posts of mine now? :lol

ElNono
11-23-2022, 06:24 PM
And where didn't a do that? Are you imagining posts of mine now? :lol

"Non-issue" is that, tbh

DAF86
11-23-2022, 06:29 PM
"Non-issue" is that, tbh

In which part this I say it was a non-issue? :lol

DAF86
11-23-2022, 06:30 PM

In fact, I said the complete opposite. :lol

Ariel
11-23-2022, 06:42 PM
TBH those are 2 of the luckiest teams in WC history. It's possible to lose the first game and then go far, sure, but watching Argentina play and then England, France, Spain, our chances look bleak no matter how you spin it.

ElNono
11-23-2022, 07:10 PM
In which part this I say it was a non-issue? :lol

That's a tacit admission you're rolling with "non issue", tbh

DAF86
11-23-2022, 07:31 PM
That's a tacit admission you're rolling with "non issue", tbh

If you were going to quote me, you could have at least read my previous posts to know what I said, tbh. :lol

140 is on the Mavkrew fad of inventing things I never said, I wasn't going to go all first grader and reply "nah, I didn't say that :cry", tbh. :lol

DAF86
11-23-2022, 07:36 PM
TBH those are 2 of the luckiest teams in WC history. It's possible to lose the first game and then go far, sure, but watching Argentina play and then England, France, Spain, our chances look bleak no matter how you spin it.

Sure, playing like in the first game we have no chance. Heck, playing like that we are losing to Mexico and Poland too, so no need to be worrying about Spain and France, tbh. :lol

The thing is, we know this team can play much better than that. This isn't like in 2018 were we knew the team was shit through and through.

Ariel
11-23-2022, 08:09 PM
Hey guys, how do you get your team to be displayed? like DAF86 with River Plate.

lefty
11-23-2022, 08:18 PM
Hey guys, how do you get your team to be displayed? like DAF86 with River Plate.

It’s easy but it’s not free, there’s a $50 monthly fee

Ariel
11-23-2022, 08:22 PM
It’s easy but it’s not free, there’s a $50 monthly fee
Sure. If there's one thing us Argentinians are overflowing with, is dollars.

DAF86
11-23-2022, 08:43 PM

Control panel > general settings > soccer team

I don't know if they have Independiente, though.

Ariel
11-23-2022, 09:08 PM
Control panel > general settings > soccer team

I don't know if they have Independiente, though.
They left out the most accomplished Argentinian team. :madrun

DAF86
11-23-2022, 09:19 PM

You should have been here when timvp was making the skins, tbh.

ElNono
11-23-2022, 10:04 PM
If you were going to quote me, you could have at least read my previous posts to know what I said, tbh. :lol

140 is on the Mavkrew fad of inventing things I never said, I wasn't going to go all first grader and reply "nah, I didn't say that :cry", tbh. :lol

I did quote you and I did read what you said. The "big fuckup" happened for a reason, tbh...

Sure, playing like in the first game we have no chance. Heck, playing like that we are losing to Mexico and Poland too, so no need to be worrying about Spain and France, tbh. :lol

^^^ this is what was missing. For all the America's Champion and shit, this team had a deer in the headlights look. Hopefully it was a fluke, but doesn't bode well for what's left of this tournament.

ElNono
11-23-2022, 10:05 PM

Pense que Moyano lo fundio, tbh

hater
11-23-2022, 10:07 PM
Just watched atgentina vs saudi tbqh

Argentina is a diarreah of a team. They will be lucky not to get obliterated by Mexican Cartel tbqh

Luckily for them Mexicans ar3 usualky drunk on tequila and mezcal. So most likely argendiarreah and mezcal will tie 1 1 :lmao

Ariel
11-23-2022, 10:55 PM
Pense que Moyano lo fundio, tbh
Si, nos liquidó mal. Tuvimos que hacer 10 cuadras de cola para sacarlo de una patada en el culo en las elecciones, y nos va a costar porque a diferencia de otros equipos de la zona, a nosotros los gobiernos no nos sacan de encima los lastres (como a De Tomasso), sino que los apañan (Bebote que se llevó puesto a Cantero, Moyano, etc). Tampoco mandan desde Nación a que nos sponsoree el hipotecario, Pero ya volveremos a donde nos corresponde... así hayamos dado 40 años de ventaja.

Ariel
11-23-2022, 11:02 PM
Just watched atgentina vs saudi tbqh

Argentina is a diarreah of a team. They will be lucky not to get obliterated by Mexican Cartel tbqh

Luckily for them Mexicans ar3 usualky drunk on tequila and mezcal. So most likely argendiarreah and mezcal will tie 1 1 :lmao
Not to sound petulant, but historically Argentina's got Mexico's number, just like we do with Colombia, aside from a couple abhorrent exceptions (courtesy of Ruggeri & Goycochea, and f*cking Palermo). Not very scientific, but ironic that a Colombia supporter would try to talk trash to us, concerning Mexico.

hater
11-23-2022, 11:18 PM
Not to sound petulant, but historically Argentina's got Mexico's number, just like we do with Colombia, aside from a couple abhorrent exceptions (courtesy of Ruggeri & Goycochea, and f*cking Palermo). Not very scientific, but ironic that a Colombia supporter would try to talk trash to us, concerning Mexico.

You dont sound petulant. But a bit fantastic

You cant compare this turds of Argetina with yesterdays Ruggeri, Goicochea or even Batistuta or Crespo. Those were real men. Theae ladyboys like todays take it up the ass this days.

Pls dont insult real men with these walking vaginas

ElNono
11-23-2022, 11:45 PM
Si, nos liquidó mal. Tuvimos que hacer 10 cuadras de cola para sacarlo de una patada en el culo en las elecciones, y nos va a costar porque a diferencia de otros equipos de la zona, a nosotros los gobiernos no nos sacan de encima los lastres (como a De Tomasso), sino que los apañan (Bebote que se llevó puesto a Cantero, Moyano, etc). Tampoco mandan desde Nación a que nos sponsoree el hipotecario, Pero ya volveremos a donde nos corresponde... así hayamos dado 40 años de ventaja.

Mi cuñado es del rojo. tristeza nao tem fim, tbh

Ariel
11-24-2022, 09:25 AM
You dont sound petulant. But a bit fantastic

You cant compare this turds of Argetina with yesterdays Ruggeri, Goicochea or even Batistuta or Crespo. Those were real men. Theae ladyboys like todays take it up the ass this days.

Pls dont insult real men with these walking vaginas
I'm not comparing anyone. But that group you romanticize (90s Argentina) was not a very good team, I remember it vividly because it was my first memory of a Word Cup as a small child, and those memories stick with you. We actually played 7 games and won 2 (USSR & Brazil), lost 2 (Cameroon and Germany) and 3 ended in a draw (Romania, Yugoslavia & Italy), it had some of the most remarkable strokes of luck I'd ever seen (we beat Brazil 1-0 when in reality we should have lost by 3 or 4 goals). The remaining greats from Mexico 1986 were in bad shape: Maradona's ankle was in terrible shape, he was playing at 40% maybe, Burruchaga, Batista, were shells of their former selves. We had a good defense with Ruggeri and Simon and Caniggia is probably my favorite player ever (along with Batistuta, who didn't play in the NT until the following year), though. If we had 10% of the luck we had in that '90 WC in 1994, 1998, 2006, or 2014, we could have easily won any of those. But it seems we exhausted 40 years' worth of good luck in that one game against Brazil, which is probably my most favorite game ever, along with the round of 16 vs England in 1998... and now we're doomed.

lefty
11-24-2022, 09:30 AM
Brazil should have destroyed Argentina, but Maradona had a stroke of genius, made a great solo run and drew the defense to serve Claudio on a golden platter

Ariel
11-24-2022, 09:32 AM
Brazil should have destroyed Argentina, but Maradona had a stroke of genius, made a great solo run and drew the defense to serve Claudio on a golden platter
That was pretty much the one play you could recognize Maradona by in the entire world cup, though. Not to harp on him, he was severely limited and most others in his place wouldn't even have played.

lefty
11-24-2022, 09:57 AM
That was pretty much the one play you could recognize Maradona by in the entire world cup, though. Not to harp on him, he was severely limited and most others in his place wouldn't even have played.
Yep his ankle wasn't in great shape tbh

hater
11-24-2022, 10:08 AM
I'm not comparing anyone. But that group you romanticize (90s Argentina) was not a very good team, I remember it vividly because it was my first memory of a Word Cup as a small child, and those memories stick with you. We actually played 7 games and won 2 (USSR & Brazil), lost 2 (Cameroon and Germany) and 3 ended in a draw (Romania, Yugoslavia & Italy), it had some of the most remarkable strokes of luck I'd ever seen (we beat Brazil 1-0 when in reality we should have lost by 3 or 4 goals). The remaining greats from Mexico 1986 were in bad shape: Maradona's ankle was in terrible shape, he was playing at 40% maybe, Burruchaga, Batista, were shells of their former selves. We had a good defense with Ruggeri and Simon and Caniggia is probably my favorite player ever (along with Batistuta, who didn't play in the NT until the following year), though. If we had 10% of the luck we had in that '90 WC in 1994, 1998, 2006, or 2014, we could have easily won any of those. But it seems we exhausted 40 years' worth of good luck in that one game against Brazil, which is probably my most favorite game ever, along with the round of 16 vs England in 1998... and now we're doomed.

Disagree tbqh. I really mean it when those days real men played. They had the physical strength of today but their mental strength was what made tgem different.

Todays faggot players are mentally weak and that shows. Just like it showed in Argentina vs Saudi. They looked like complete pussies out there.

No way Batistutas team would pussy out like that.

And no way should Argentina have lost by 3 goals to Brazil. Thats BS. Thats like saying Canada should have beat Belgium because they attacked way more. Soccer is not about that. Usually the mentally stronger team will prevail at this level.

DAF86
11-24-2022, 10:24 AM
Disagree tbqh. I really mean it when those days real men played. They had the physical strength of today but their mental strength was what made tgem different.

Todays faggot players are mentally weak and that shows. Just like it showed in Argentina vs Saudi. They looked like complete pussies out there.

And no way should Argentina have lost by 3 goals to Brazil. Thats BS. Thats like saying Canada should have beat Belgium because they attacked way more. Soccer is not about that. Usually the mentally stronger team will prevail at this level.

Batistuta doesn't know what the semis of a WC looks like, just like Colombia. :lol

Ariel
11-24-2022, 10:35 AM

I said that the Argentina team you was way worse than the way it's remembered in hindsight. That team lost in its debut to Cameroon by a Italy stupid goalkeeper mistake, made the round of 16 by a hair, avoided a historic whipping by virtue of Brazil missing the net by an inch 4 or 5 times, and advanced 2 rounds by penalties. It was a resilient team, with a good defense, an inspired goalkeeper (that never again in his career played at that level) and a wonderful Caniggia. If you replay that tournament 100 times, 20 times we don't make it out of the first round, 70 we get stomped by Brazil in the round of 16, 4 we don't advance past Yugoslavia, 5 we lose to Italy in the semis, and in the one time we get to the final match, we still get robbed by Mexican-Uruguayan thief Codesal. And most of those times that team gets slaughtered by media an fans by failing to meet expectations, instead of being romanticized by reaching the finals, when luck was the single most influential factor in doing so. Good memories, though.

Ariel
11-24-2022, 10:38 AM
Dude, you obviously didn't watch the game, and I can hit replay in my head and go over it again and again... there's no mental strength involved in the opposing team hitting the post 3/4 times, 2 in the same play. That's just luck.

hater
11-24-2022, 10:41 AM
Dude, you obviously didn't watch the game, and I can hit replay in my head and go over it again and again... there's no mental strength involved in the opposing team hitting the post 3/4 times, 2 in the same play. That's just luck.

I watched that game dosens of times. Even wrote a school report on it :lol

A miss is a miss. If you hit the post 3 times you are a mental midget.

And yet these are the mental pussies we are breeding today. These faggots will cry about a fucking gay armband rather than play.

Just look at whats making headlines today.

The stadium is too cold. There is no beer. We cant dress like faggots.

:lmao todays soccer fags

lefty
11-24-2022, 10:45 AM
Brazil was clearly the better team in that game

But the team that deserves to win is the team that put the ball in the net and found a way to win

I always barf when people say ":cry they deserved to win because they hit the post X times and dominated and played more beautiful football"
Well if they did all that for nothing they didn't deserve to win

But again, I'm a competitive person, that's probably why I see it that way :lol

Also fuck mental victories
When we gave Germany all they could handle in the 2014 WC, some people told me "GG Algeria, you should be proud" ; my reply : " fuck that shit, they won, we're going home; you think I'm satisfied because we played well and it was close?; it's W or bust for me" :lol

But hey, at least we didn't lose 7-2 to them
And at least we scored a goal vs them (cough M...)

dunkman
11-24-2022, 11:14 AM
When you have solid defense, a goal keeper to eliminate any team by penalties after a draw, Maradona with bad ankle or not capable of dribbling Brazilian defensive players like cones, Claudio Caniggia a supreme talented forward that happens to also be the fastest player ever till this days, you do make it to the Mundial finals.

lefty
11-24-2022, 11:38 AM
When you have solid defense, a goal keeper to eliminate any team by penalties after a draw, Maradona with bad ankle or not capable of dribbling Brazilian defensive players like cones, Claudio Caniggia a supreme talented forward that happens to also be the fastest player ever till this days, you do make it to the Mundial finals.
nd also the fact that Diego was a leader

hater
11-24-2022, 12:30 PM
nd also the fact that Diego was a leader

And as I said that argentina team was mentally powerful. They truly believed they couldnt lose and if things got bad they would get angry and yeah also play dirty. But thats how men win.

Todays ladyboy argentina team is mentaly weak

dunkman
11-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Maradona was right when talking to Pelé about Messi. A phenomenal talent but doesn’t seem to inspire much confidence to the rest of the team. But who knows, maybe this will be his year to shut the criticism. One never knows.

I think the 78’ Argentina lost a game vs Italy and still won the mundial in great style.

FrostKing
11-24-2022, 08:46 PM
Legends win even when they/team have an off day. There are countless examples of one hit wonders and surprises. But winning consistently is the difference.

Question was Maradona liked by all his teammates. The GOATs typically pissed off their teammates at some point by being a leader. Ronaldo made an interest comment recently drawing a distinction between friend and teammate. It can certainly overlap but ultimately your job as a leader is to be respected not necessarily liked. If you Win then your teammates will celebrate more trophies and themselves earn more money. Then they'll like you regardless :lol

DAF86
11-25-2022, 01:35 PM
Maradona was right when talking to Pelé about Messi. A phenomenal talent but doesn’t seem to inspire much confidence to the rest of the team. But who knows, maybe this will be his year to shut the criticism. One never knows.

I think the 78’ Argentina lost a game vs Italy and still won the mundial in great style.

Dude, you just talked a lot of crap about that '90 Argentina team getting to the final of the WC, yet give crap to Messi who did exactly the same in '14 :lmao

hater
11-25-2022, 04:36 PM

In great style? Y3sh if bribing players is a style then yeah I guess that 78 argetina won in style :lol

11-25-2022, 07:12 PM
In great style? Y3sh if bribing players is a style then yeah I guess that 78 argetina won in style :lol

Tell me more son :lol

dunkman
11-26-2022, 10:23 AM
Dude, you just talked a lot of crap about that '90 Argentina team getting to the final of the WC, yet give crap to Messi who did exactly the same in '14 :lmao

I think Argentina was really good in ‘14, the better team in the ‘14 final, that the ref swallowed the whistle when Neuer fouled Higuaín and consider Messi a legendary player. Reaching finals isn’t a small feat.

That being said, Goetze was very sharp in the time he played, while Argentina’s forwards wasted many clear opportunities, too nervous, not sure what happened. Perhaps there you can see Messi isn’t someone to inspire confidence or gets the job done at decisive moments.

Ariel
11-26-2022, 04:17 PM
I think Argentina was really good in ‘14, the better team in the ‘14 final, that the ref swallowed the whistle when Neuer fouled Higuaín and consider Messi a legendary player. Reaching finals isn’t a small feat.

That being said, Goetze was very sharp in the time he played, while Argentina’s forwards wasted many clear opportunities, too nervous, not sure what happened. Perhaps there you can see Messi isn’t someone to inspire confidence or gets the job done at decisive moments.
Argentina was the better team against Germany, both in 2006 and 2014. Unfortunately you win with goals, and we failed both times (I f*cking hate Higuain).

Ariel
11-26-2022, 04:20 PM
There's a lot of talk about that game with Peru, but even though my parents hadn't even met by then, I've seen videos of that WC and that Argentina team had a sh!tload of talent and was formidable all around. Maybe we did receive a helping hand, but it's not as obvious as it's been made out to be and certainly far from the only or main reason we won.

dunkman
11-26-2022, 05:30 PM
There's a lot of talk about that game with Peru, but even though my parents hadn't even met by then, I've seen videos of that WC and that Argentina team had a sh!tload of talent and was formidable all around. Maybe we did receive a helping hand, but it's not as obvious as it's been made out to be and certainly far from the only or main reason we won.

Maradona was already incredibly good at Argentinos Juniors but wasn’t able to make final roster with around 16. No one thought Menotti made a mistake.

There were talks about doping before the finals, sponsored by the junta. Supposedly Peru’s GK was Argentinian, that Argentina gave some money to Peru like there’s no any money in Peru.

Argentina was just better and able to reach the final by better goal difference compared to Brazil. Brazil was really good, with Zico and other notable players, but not quite as good as Argentina in 78’. It was within the possibilities for Argentina to win 6:0 vs Peru and 3:1 vs Netherlands without Cruyff, not sure what people complain about.

Kempes, Pasarella, Ardiles, Bertoni, Figliol, Tarantini, Luque, Houseman, Norberto just great talent literally everywhere. Particularly on offense. I was 100% sure they would repeat in ‘82 with those players plus Maradona and Díaz, but most players were past their primes and Italy and Brazil proved better.

Ariel
11-26-2022, 06:08 PM
dunkman, where are you from?

dunkman
11-26-2022, 07:37 PM
Originally from Belgrade, Serbia. When was 15 my family moved the North of Peru, I stayed more than 25 years in Latin America, mostly in Peru. Then emigrated to Montreal, Canada some 10 years ago.

Ariel
11-26-2022, 08:33 PM
Originally from Belgrade, Serbia. When was 15 my family moved the North of Peru, I stayed more than 25 years in Latin America, mostly in Peru. Then emigrated to Montreal, Canada some 10 years ago.
Given that you know your football (not your likely North American fan) and basketball (rare as a non Argentinian or Brazilian South American) from way back, European origin was likely, so you having Balkan roots was among the possibilities I thought of. Cool.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-26-2022, 09:48 PM

It was just Mexico but Messi seemed pretty inspiring today. As much as any other player in football right now.

dunkman
11-28-2022, 02:14 AM
It was just Mexico but Messi seemed pretty inspiring today. As much as any other player in football right now.

Mexico was never elite, but is far from bad since long time imo. They need better competition than the US and Canada, to get better. Or maybe pump more money in the league to bring better talent and coaching to the MX league.

Argentina used to always dominate Chile, then some finals Copa América happened. Few things are set in stone.

It’s good to see Messi playing great when Argentina must win, maybe this will be the time the team will win another World Cup. There’s a good combination of experience and youth.

Living in Belgrade or Peru is very cool, bth.

FrostKing
11-28-2022, 02:37 AM
Cześć

Group leader checking in.

lefty
11-28-2022, 02:42 AM

Montreal?
Well, me too

FrostKing
11-28-2022, 03:25 AM
https://i.ibb.co/p3gSDDv/Screenshot-20221127-235644-Chrome.jpg

FrostKing
11-28-2022, 03:26 AM
Crusaders unite

Polska came into the Middle East.

FrostKing
11-28-2022, 03:55 AM
https://i.ibb.co/qNdXX54/DEUS-VULT.jpg

Ariel
11-28-2022, 08:32 AM
Argentina used to always dominate Chile, then some finals Copa América happened. Few things are set in stone.
What happened is that:
1) Chile had the best generation of players in their history (Arturo Vidal, Alexis Sanchez, Gary Medel, Claudio Bravo, Mena, Marcelo Diaz, Pinilla, Isla, Matías Fernandez, Jara, etc).
2) Even then, they managed to TIE two games (they didn't beat Argentina in both finals) because of missed chances (Higuain LPMQTP / SOB) and won ON PENALTIES, not on the court.
3) Argentina still regularly beats Chile after that.
So basically Chile's success was more of a product of a great generation of players coming together (the one who got 3rd place in U20 2007 in Canada), like it happened for Denmark in 1986, Belgium in 2018, or the Argentina Basketball NT in 2000s and 2010s

dunkman
11-28-2022, 08:34 AM
Montreal?
Well, me too

When emigrated, was first living in the South Shore till some 3-4 years ago, but was kinda violent there. From there on moved to Montreal, near downtown. Better experience definitely.

lefty
11-28-2022, 08:42 AM
When emigrated, was first living in the South Shore till some 3-4 years ago, but was kinda violent there. From there on moved to Montreal, near downtown. Better experience definitely.

I live in Old Montreal - used to live downtown (although old mtl is close to downtown)

Amuseddaysleeper
11-28-2022, 10:03 AM
Mexico was never elite, but is far from bad since long time imo. They need better competition than the US and Canada, to get better. Or maybe pump more money in the league to bring better talent and coaching to the MX league.

It’s good to see Messi playing great when Argentina must win, maybe this will be the time the team will win another World Cup. There’s a good combination of experience and youth.

Living in Belgrade or Peru is very cool, bth.

It's shocking that Mexico have yet to score a goal this tourney and perhaps it is time to bring more youth in.

Bynumite
12-16-2022, 11:33 PM
Saudi Arabia is a non-factor. Historically, Argentina has been Mexico's daddy and Poland is gonna park the bus and hope Lewandowski pull a goal out of his ass.

Argentina's gonna comfortably finish 1st.

Honestly, i'm seriously considering putting some money on midget and company to win it all. No, this is not a jynx attempt. I wouldn't waste my money just to jynx midget at the world cup :lol

Argentina's group is a cakewalk and their side of the bracket is also nothing special.

Netherlands are a good team but not contender level imo. The English are chokers and already had their fluke deep run in Euro 2020.

France has been steadily declining since World Cup 2018. Struggling immensely against lesser competition these days.

The stars seem aligned for Argentina tbh imho.

Called everything to a tee. ME.

Was only wrong about Saudi Arabia, but that was Argentina underestimating a weaker opponent more than anything, in an opening game situation.

DAF86
12-18-2022, 02:08 PM

Non fucking issue. :hat

resistanze
12-18-2022, 04:14 PM
Best thread jinx ever tbh

Bynumite
12-18-2022, 04:35 PM
The nerve on FAP, patting himself on the back, when he had Portugal winning it all and showed absolutely no faith in his countrymen :lol

JakeCuenca
12-18-2022, 07:53 PM
Woke Argentina up. Solidified Alvarez over Lauturo and Solidified Enzo Fernandez.

almost feels scripted. I think if Argentina won, they would have lost in the the quarters with Lauturo up front.

pgardn
12-18-2022, 09:50 PM
Best thread jinx ever tbh

Saudi Arabia defeats the WC winners.

A bit early…

lefty
12-20-2022, 10:17 AM
SA players are the real MVPs

Motivated Argentina for the rest of the tournament
Messi carried by SA tbh

Amuseddaysleeper
12-20-2022, 12:17 PM
SA players are the real MVPs

Motivated Argentina for the rest of the tournament
Messi carried by SA tbh

Still waiting for you to change your profile pic my friend :toast

lefty
12-20-2022, 01:24 PM
Still waiting for you to change your profile pic my friend :toast
https://media.tenor.com/wNfrveznRFAAAAAC/yes-done.gif

Amuseddaysleeper
12-20-2022, 01:34 PM

You're pure class :smokin

DAF86
12-20-2022, 01:41 PM

Now we only need timvp to update that AFA skin.

lefty
12-20-2022, 01:44 PM
You're pure class :smokin

:bobo

Now we only need timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) to update that AFA skin.
3rd star with an asterisk next to it cuz Mickey Mouse trophy :D