PDA

View Full Version : Article: Jeremy Sochan's Dunk and the Memorable Reactions

timvp
11-18-2022, 05:10 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/jeremy-sochan-dunk-reactions-videos/

The real treasure in a tank are the good times we had along the way :wakeup

Ariel
11-18-2022, 05:13 AM
Pretty decent for a so called "unathletic, no offense" player...

Ariel
11-18-2022, 05:18 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/keon-ellis-reaction.jpg
:lol

mystargtr34
11-18-2022, 06:36 AM
I happened to be watching live when it happened and I got up out of my seat and just stood staring at the TV with my hands on my head for about 30 seconds :lol.

The reverse spin dribble and throw down reminded me of the Kawhi dunk on Ibaka when he spun away from Westbrook. Sochan’s dunk was filthier but the spin move leading into a dunk was very similar.

playbonner15
11-18-2022, 06:41 AM
Gold :lol

Maddog
11-18-2022, 07:18 AM
The "dunk" was awesome- but the most encouraging thing was the lead up. The Ball handling, nimble footwork all from a 6'8" 19 year old who is able to guard 1-5.
I don't think he's ever going to be a 25 ppg player- but he's not going to be a Ben Simmons passive offense kind of guy.

John B
11-18-2022, 08:51 AM
- Sochan’s swagger attitude. He exhibits that confidence, maturity beyond his years. We have somebody especial here.
- Bassey’s relationship with the main players, being a 2way and not even that long ago. He’s here to stay
- Sochan’s athleticism and aggressiveness lately in attacking the rim. He’s getting better every game
- And yeah that meme face reaction from the Kings bench will be classic :lol:lol

rascal
11-18-2022, 09:58 AM
Pretty decent for a so called "unathletic, no offense" player...

Everyone in the NBA can dunk.

XDT76
11-18-2022, 10:08 AM
Never seen Mills and Forbes dunk

John B
11-18-2022, 11:04 AM
Never seen Mills and Forbes dunk

Dunkin Donuts maybe

rjv
11-18-2022, 11:06 AM
moneke's reaction was shades of the hawks' bench when bird went for 60.

Seventyniner
11-18-2022, 11:44 AM

Instant classic.

heyheymymy
11-18-2022, 11:51 AM
Keldon doing that classic meme response with the kids reacting to ownage

couchman
11-18-2022, 12:29 PM
There were several flashes of brilliance from Sochan last night, obviously this dunk being most memorable.
Some of his plays as primary ball handler were also incredible.
I'm starting to get really excited about his future.

offset formation
11-18-2022, 12:44 PM
The "dunk" was awesome- but the most encouraging thing was the lead up. The Ball handling, nimble footwork all from a 6'8" 19 year old who is able to guard 1-5.
I don't think he's ever going to be a 25 ppg player- but he's not going to be a Ben Simmons passive offense kind of guy.

Two months ago people were saying he could never be in Simmon's elite supetstar category. Now they're saying he'll surpass him.

FTR, I think Sochan can become what people mean when they talk about Simmons, a point forward. That's not judging either one on All-Star level per se, just that both could be thought of as really good point forwards.

I love this place.

Ariel
11-18-2022, 12:52 PM
Aw, come on. I already accepted Sharpe's hype is real. Now it's your turn to be a man and own up. Admit you were wrong about Sochan and move on. One Atl Spur is enough for the forum.

wildbill2u
11-18-2022, 01:50 PM
Nice play. Not really down with the idea that this proves he will be a super star yet because of this spin move and dunk, but we are all looking for anything that gives us a clue to his future.

However, with all the hype about his prowess as a defender, I'd like you to look at about three moves at around the 4 minute mark of the 3rd quarter where he drifted over to double-team and left his man alone on the perimeter. The results were predictable as the veteran players on the Kings immediately broke for the basket and were rewarded with an assist for an easy score. The question is was that Sochan looking to be a hero on defense while leaving his man. He does wander around a bit like a zone defender when everyone else is playing man. Perhaps this is going to be his role and is approved or encouraged by the coaches? But he's gonna get burned a lot doing that.

John B
11-18-2022, 03:12 PM
Nice play. Not really down with the idea that this proves he will be a super star yet because of this spin move and dunk, but we are all looking for anything that gives us a clue to his future.

However, with all the hype about his prowess as a defender, I'd like you to look at about three moves at around the 4 minute mark of the 3rd quarter where he drifted over to double-team and left his man alone on the perimeter. The results were predictable as the veteran players on the Kings immediately broke for the basket and were rewarded with an assist for an easy score. The question is was that Sochan looking to be a hero on defense while leaving his man. He does wander around a bit like a zone defender when everyone else is playing man. Perhaps this is going to be his role and is approved or encouraged by the coaches? But he's gonna get burned a lot doing that.

I expect him to help a lot specially with bigger guards overpowering Tre. Sochan has nimble feet and high bball iq to anticipate plays, so yeah I think he will be doing a lot of that.

My question is Jak vs Bassey defense. I think Bassey has high ceiling to become a good post defender because he does fight for position, goes medieval blocking shots, and fight for rebounds.

Dex
11-18-2022, 03:30 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/jeremy-sochan-dunk-reactions-videos/

The real treasure in a tank are the good times we had along the way :wakeup

I know it wasn't technically a "dunk"....it was more impressive tbh. That kind of shot basically won Dwight Howard a dunk contest, and this dude did it in a game through contact.

CGD
11-18-2022, 03:34 PM
RIP montas

Seventyniner
11-18-2022, 03:44 PM
I know it wasn't technically a "dunk"....it was more impressive tbh. That kind of shot basically won Dwight Howard a dunk contest, and this dude did it in a game through contact.

Probably the most impressive NBA play I have ever seen, in terms of immediate disbelief of what happened, was Keon Clark of the Raptors doing this technically-not-a-dunk on a putback several feet away from the rim in the early 2000s or so. If memory serves me correctly he was in the middle of the paint or so and jumped, caught the rebound with one hand, and threw the ball down through the hoop so hard it wasn't immediately apparent that it was actually a basket.

If someone has a link to the video I would appreciate it. I have searched for it before and couldn't find it. Maybe I remembered things wrong.

rascal
11-18-2022, 04:00 PM
Aw, come on. I already accepted Sharpe's hype is real. Now it's your turn to be a man and own up. Admit you were wrong about Sochan and move on. One Atl Spur is enough for the forum.

Yeah, he dunked over a white guy with no verticle lift.

What was I wrong about Sochan about? Said Sharpe was a better pick and had a higher upside and the spurs should target him if possible in a trade up on draft day.

heyheymymy
11-18-2022, 04:55 PM
lol Sochan tagged sabonis in the pic of the poster dunk lol

K...
11-18-2022, 05:02 PM
lol Sochan tagged sabonis in the pic of the poster dunk lol

Instagram or twitter?

heyheymymy
11-18-2022, 05:05 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/comments/yyudt3/jeremy_wild_for_tagging_him/

heyheymymy
11-18-2022, 05:06 PM
lol

"Oops... @dsabonis11"

-Sochan

BatManu20
11-18-2022, 05:35 PM
Really did tag him :lol. Sochan’s a menace.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fh4DSTwXoAE-Kie?format=jpg&name=large

heyheymymy
11-18-2022, 05:38 PM
thanks I couldn't figure out how to post that pic here lol

Mr. Body
11-18-2022, 06:59 PM
Lol, Sochan is a dick.

BackHome
11-18-2022, 09:20 PM
Damn that was a sick Dunk

exstatic
11-18-2022, 09:48 PM
Damn that was a sick Dunk

The reverse spin away from Fox, and quick evasion of the second defender with the micro crossover were almost better than the finish.

ambchang
11-18-2022, 11:18 PM
Probably the most impressive NBA play I have ever seen, in terms of immediate disbelief of what happened, was Keon Clark of the Raptors doing this technically-not-a-dunk on a putback several feet away from the rim in the early 2000s or so. If memory serves me correctly he was in the middle of the paint or so and jumped, caught the rebound with one hand, and threw the ball down through the hoop so hard it wasn't immediately apparent that it was actually a basket.

If someone has a link to the video I would appreciate it. I have searched for it before and couldn't find it. Maybe I remembered things wrong.

https://youtu.be/7vrmCJko-mY

7vrmCJko-mY

Seventyniner
11-19-2022, 01:30 AM
https://youtu.be/7vrmCJko-mY

7vrmCJko-mY

Nice, thanks for finding it. I'm not sure why I had such trouble. :bobo

It's much more similar to Sochan's dunk than I remembered. I'm not surprised that my memory was wrong in several ways: not a putback at all, not several feet away from the rim, and it was clearly a made basket. What wasn't immediately apparent was that he didn't actually touch the rim on the "dunk".

timvp
11-19-2022, 02:49 AM
Nice, thanks for finding it. I'm not sure why I had such trouble. :bobo

It's much more similar to Sochan's dunk than I remembered. I'm not surprised that my memory was wrong in several ways: not a putback at all, not several feet away from the rim, and it was clearly a made basket. What wasn't immediately apparent was that he didn't actually touch the rim on the "dunk".

Damn, that was some impressive recall to remember such a similar dunk from 20 years ago :tu

KingKev
11-19-2022, 07:45 PM
^ Man Keon Clark was fun to watch. The bottle got the best of him unfortunately. Dude used to play NBA games drunk.

tonight...you
11-19-2022, 07:47 PM
^ Man Keon Clark was fun to watch. The bottle got the best of him unfortunately. Dude used to play NBA games drunk.
Sad.
Alcohol can be an insidious siren.

Dirks_Finale
11-20-2022, 09:32 AM
Excuse my non spur fan ignorance, but what's the story on this guy? Wears Rodman's number and has similar hair. Is it all coincidence or is he a fan of Rodzilla? He seems to be too young to even know who Rodman was, tbh.

exstatic
11-20-2022, 06:50 PM
Excuse my non spur fan ignorance, but what's the story on this guy? Wears Rodman's number and has similar hair. Is it all coincidence or is he a fan of Rodzilla? He seems to be too young to even know who Rodman was, tbh.
His Baylor # was 1, but Lonnie hadn’t been cut loose yet, so he took 10. Their build is similar, and he colors his hair, but their offensive game are nothing alike. Rodman also seemed more like a 3-5 defender, not 1-5.

T Park
11-20-2022, 09:46 PM

Lol

T Park
11-20-2022, 09:48 PM
His Baylor # was 1, but Lonnie hadn’t been cut loose yet, so he took 10. Their build is similar, and he colors his hair, but their offensive game are nothing alike. Rodman also seemed more like a 3-5 defender, not 1-5.

Its funny if you just watch him run up the court and the way he moves. Its scarily similar. Hopefully he doesnt go off the deep end like Rodman did in 93