PDA

View Full Version : Lakers made Russell Westbrook trade proposal to Spurs before season

spursparker9
11-22-2022, 10:54 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-made-russell-westbrook-trade-150027337.html

“Before the season, the Lakers offered a lottery-protected first-round pick and Russell Westbrook to the Spurs for Josh Richardson and Doug McDermott, HoopsHype has learned. The Spurs, however, wanted an unprotected first-round pick for taking on Westbrook’s salary with the expectation he’d be waived, which the Lakers were unwilling to do, and talks stalled.”

BacktoBasics
11-22-2022, 11:29 AM
That’s an insane amount of money for lottery protection. Top 3 protection maybe. But an unprotected 1st is reasonable.

cd98
11-22-2022, 11:37 AM
Pelinka is not going to yield draft capital of two unprotected first round picks unless he is getting a true difference maker, basically, a star. That means the Spurs have no trades to offer since Richardson and McD might help improve their team, but doesn't put them in the top 5 in the west and likely only gets them into the home court stages of a play-in. No way the Lakers trade two likely lottery picks for a mid-tier team that can quickly come undone with AD injured every other week and Lebron being 37 with a lot of miles on those knees. If those two can't carry them into a top 4, then it's time to play out the season and then hope to get better once the Westbrook contract expires and see if they can improve with free agency. I don't think they will trade AD or Lebron.

Leetonidas
11-22-2022, 11:42 AM
We already knew this

lmbebo
11-22-2022, 11:43 AM
Pelinka is not going to yield draft capital of two unprotected first round picks unless he is getting a true difference maker, basically, a star. That means the Spurs have no trades to offer since Richardson and McD might help improve their team, but doesn't put them in the top 5 in the west and likely only gets them into the home court stages of a play-in. No way the Lakers trade two likely lottery picks for a mid-tier team that can quickly come undone with AD injured every other week and Lebron being 37 with a lot of miles on those knees. If those two can't carry them into a top 4, then it's time to play out the season and then hope to get better once the Westbrook contract expires and see if they can improve with free agency. I don't think they will trade AD or Lebron.

No reason to trade with them then.

Just because they won't doesn't mean we have to give in to what they will do.

Dex
11-22-2022, 11:47 AM
Yeah, giving up two trade assets (even if they aren't great ones) plus expecting ownership to just eat $47M for a 15th+ pick is fucking crazy.

But I'm sure there are people out there who will be like "SEE SPURS NEVER MAKE ANY MOVES!!!"

R. DeMurre
11-22-2022, 11:51 AM
The Lakers only have themselves to blame for assembling such a mismatched collection of players and going all in on Westbrook, but it will be fascinating to see what they do. Their record might be so poor by Dec 15th that they're forced to make early moves because waiting until the Feb 9th deadline might be too late. LeBron is still a top player, but is already showing signs of slowing down, and to wave the surrender flag on a year of your 38 year old superstar's career would be a pretty dramatic move, especially in a year when you owe the Pelicans a pick swap. Ahhh, schadenfreude-- for the fans of 29 other teams!

buttsR4rebounding
11-22-2022, 11:57 AM
I'd like to see the Lakers get hot for a bit to give them a false sense of hope then have WB revert to the mean. That's when there would be pressure on their FO to make something happen. As long as they are bottom dwellers there isn't any pressure to make a move that gives up future assets.

baseline bum
11-22-2022, 12:21 PM
So the Lakers basically think the Spurs should have ate Westbrook's $47 million salary for nothing since Richardson is worth a lottery protected first. Yeah no thanks.

timvp
11-22-2022, 12:34 PM
We already knew this

Yeah ... and the latest I've heard is that the Lakers actually lowered their most recent offer to two second round picks after their slow start. :lol

Ocotillo
11-22-2022, 12:36 PM
I would move on from this. 12/15 and deadline will yield better options for the team (I hope).

lmbebo
11-22-2022, 12:43 PM
I think as time moves on, the ask increases from us.

R. DeMurre
11-22-2022, 12:54 PM
As long as they are bottom dwellers there isn't any pressure to make a move that gives up future assets.

In a sense, though, finishing this season with a poor record gives up their 2023 draft pick to the Pelicans.

spurraider21
11-22-2022, 02:07 PM
Yeah ... and the latest I've heard is that the Lakers actually lowered their most recent offer to two second round picks after their slow start. :lol
probably top-45 protected, too :lol

cd98
11-22-2022, 02:50 PM

They are probably just hoping the Spurs make that move so they can keep tanking. Depending on the year, those second round picks could be pretty good. I mean, they are probably top 3 in the 2nd round if they are in the next 3 years. But certainly the Spurs have to have enough players to field a team and even if they trade no one, that is better than trading any of their assets for anything less than a first round pick. But I would say Spurs should consider it if the picks are top 3 protected or one unprotected but it being the soonest year of the two. I mean, those are surefire lottery picks they way this team is scheduled to implode once Lebron ages out and AD has his 3 season ending injury in a row.

ambchang
11-22-2022, 03:55 PM

I am not sure if that is reasonable as DJM got 3 unprotected picks and a pick swap with a borderline playoff team, two unprotected picks shouldn't get them much in that light. But then again, the Lakers don't have to be reasonable.

lefty
11-22-2022, 05:30 PM
lmao nice try L.A

slick'81
11-22-2022, 05:31 PM
Jrich for a first or bust

Mr. Body
11-22-2022, 05:51 PM
Reminds me of the shit-package they were trying to offer for Kawhi. Ha ha. No.

Mal
11-22-2022, 06:06 PM
Spurs could get lottery protected pick elsewhere without having to buy out Westbrick for those guys. Good call on the trade

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-22-2022, 06:13 PM
FTL

heyheymymy
11-22-2022, 07:05 PM
haha no we are doing YOU a favor. We don't NEED to trade.

drop the protections

jjspur
11-22-2022, 07:13 PM

I'll trade you Romeo Langford for two 2nd round picks. How does that sound ? Sounds almost as stupid as dumping 47 million dollar Westbrick, and a pair of seconds for two pretty useful spurs players. Get real Polinka.

baseline bum
11-22-2022, 07:16 PM
Reminds me of the shit-package they were trying to offer for Kawhi. Ha ha. No.

LOL Lakers acting like Westbrook isn't an extremely negative asset.

Chomag
11-22-2022, 08:01 PM
Let the Lakers wallow in their own misery.

cd98
11-22-2022, 11:45 PM
I am not sure if that is reasonable as DJM got 3 unprotected picks and a pick swap with a borderline playoff team, two unprotected picks shouldn't get them much in that light. But then again, the Lakers don't have to be reasonable.

Yes, but think about the timing. Atlanta may be good for years or may not. We don't know if those picks will be lottery or not. We just know that they will be first round picks and Atlanta took the reasonable risk that they will keep the team together and that it will be a playoff team. Those Laker picks are far enough down the road that Lebron will be retired and AD will likely be gone too. They don't have any first round picks between now and when those picks convey. It is highly likely those are going to be lottery picks. Hard to see them taking the risk under the circumstances.

Mr. Body
11-23-2022, 12:09 AM
Yes, but think about the timing. Atlanta may be good for years or may not. We don't know if those picks will be lottery or not. We just know that they will be first round picks and Atlanta took the reasonable risk that they will keep the team together and that it will be a playoff team. Those Laker picks are far enough down the road that Lebron will be retired and AD will likely be gone too. They don't have any first round picks between now and when those picks convey. It is highly likely those are going to be lottery picks. Hard to see them taking the risk under the circumstances.

Can people stop saying the Lakers don't have first round picks? They do. They're just swaps.

KobesAchilles
11-23-2022, 01:46 AM
Lakers acting like we are the Grizzlies:lol

exstatic
11-23-2022, 07:52 AM
Lakers acting like we are the Grizzlies:lol

Jerry West is NOT walking through that door.

DPG21920
11-23-2022, 04:06 PM

How does that make any sense lmao? Especially with Doug somehow playing his way from negative asset to decent enough asset.

DAF86
11-23-2022, 06:34 PM
J-Rich alone is worth a protected first round pick. What the fuck are the Lakers thinking? :lol

scott
11-23-2022, 06:42 PM
While the folks on this website have rightfully pegged Westbrook's (negative) value, I still don't think it is in the Lakers interest to pay the hefty market price of moving him. Getting rid of Russ ain't going to make them a contender, so there is no real need to dump two future unprotected picks just to shed his salary. They have probably just accepted the fact that they are going to be picking wherever the Pels pick this year, no need to throw away more good assets just to save Russ's salary.

As I write this, I admit I don't fully know the cap nuances of getting a trade exemption for use later, etc. But if they move Russ and their two future tradeable picks, its not like they'll have any assets to acquire anyone else into a TE anyway.

TD 21
11-23-2022, 06:59 PM
J-Rich alone is worth a protected first round pick. What the fuck are the Lakers thinking? :lol

Probably more like two 2nds or packaged along with the Spurs 2nd to get a top 20ish pick.

DAF86
11-23-2022, 07:45 PM
Probably more like two 2nds or packaged along with the Spurs 2nd to get a top 20ish pick.

I remember back in the days where players like Brent Barry and Kurt Thomas costed a 1st round pick to the Spurs. J-Rich is easily on that tier for contending teams that need some shooting and scoring off the bench, tbh.

Mr. Body
11-23-2022, 08:10 PM
While the folks on this website have rightfully pegged Westbrook's (negative) value, I still don't think it is in the Lakers interest to pay the hefty market price of moving him. Getting rid of Russ ain't going to make them a contender, so there is no real need to dump two future unprotected picks just to shed his salary. They have probably just accepted the fact that they are going to be picking wherever the Pels pick this year, no need to throw away more good assets just to save Russ's salary.

As I write this, I admit I don't fully know the cap nuances of getting a trade exemption for use later, etc. But if they move Russ and their two future tradeable picks, its not like they'll have any assets to acquire anyone else into a TE anyway.

I agree. By now, they've convinced Westbrook to come off the bench and that's balanced things more. Anthony Davis has woken up from his thousand years sleep and is playing like an actual basketball player. They're still not great, but trading Russ isn't really the answer. Finding help otherwise might be.

spurraider21
11-23-2022, 08:50 PM
I remember back in the days where players like Brent Barry and Kurt Thomas costed a 1st round pick to the Spurs. J-Rich is easily on that tier for contending teams that need some shooting and scoring off the bench, tbh.
spurs signed barry as a free agent. we traded barry and a first for kurt thomas

TD 21
11-24-2022, 03:27 PM

Not only incorrect, but irrelevant because draft picks are more valued today.

DAF86
11-24-2022, 03:34 PM

If a team like, let's say, the Nuggets, feel like they are a piece like Josh Richardson away from completing their championship team, they will trade away their first round pick without thinking it twice, tbh.

exstatic
11-24-2022, 05:16 PM
If a team like, let's say, the Nuggets, feel like they are a piece like Josh Richardson away from completing their championship team, they will trade away their first round pick without thinking it twice, tbh.

Exactly. All FRPs are not equal. We’re not going to pull a lottery pick, but a FRP from a playoff team is quite possible. Even a good front office will pull a kid who MIGHT be something in 3 years. Playoff teams want help now.

tonight...you
11-24-2022, 07:20 PM
If Draft picks are more valued now, why are they getting traded like candy?
Even the Spurs traded DJM for a haul and Gobert?
Jrue?
Picks are getting traded for semi-crap players with money on contracts like it's an expected thing.

Just asking.

CGD
11-24-2022, 07:58 PM
^ So far Hawks’ and Bucks’ price has been justified.

Spurs could end up getting the 15-18th picks in 2025 and 27 from ATL, no swap in 26, and a few seconds from that CHA pick. The price for Jru was worth it the moment Bucks won the chip.

TD 21
11-24-2022, 11:50 PM
If Draft picks are more valued now, why are they getting traded like candy?
Even the Spurs traded DJM for a haul and Gobert?
Jrue?
Picks are getting traded for semi-crap players with money on contracts like it's an expected thing.

Just asking.

That's what I meant though. Instead of teams trading a 1st for a role player like Richardson, they're trading a bunch for superstars (with one glaring omission) or stars.

tonight...you
11-25-2022, 12:08 PM
That's what I meant though. Instead of teams trading a 1st for a role player like Richardson, they're trading a bunch for superstars (with one glaring omission) or stars.
Okay. I understand better now.
Thanks.

lmbebo
11-25-2022, 01:25 PM
spurs signed barry as a free agent. we traded barry and a first for kurt thomas

Because of that, the nba changed the rules as well

CGD
11-25-2022, 05:54 PM
What’s the sense here: do we cut this deal if it’s a top 3 protected 2027 LAL FRP?

exstatic
11-25-2022, 06:22 PM
What’s the sense here: do we cut this deal if it’s a top 3 protected 2027 LAL FRP?

That might buy you cap space rental for Westbrook, but if you want positive assets on top, you’ll need to put more on the table.

KingKev
11-25-2022, 06:53 PM

Nothing is on the table. Two useless front offices who have no clue how to get a trade done. It’s not hard to fleece LA, unless you are PATFO.

CGD
11-25-2022, 07:06 PM
Nothing is on the table. Two useless front offices who have no clue how to get a trade done. It’s not hard to fleece LA, unless you are PATFO.

The best thing that could happen is Indy doubles down on Turner and/or trades him to GSW to take him off the table for the Lakers. Honestly though, I think the biggest headwind is LeBron. I’m shocked at home comfortable he seems to be with punting this season and getting stats.

CGD
11-25-2022, 07:07 PM
That might buy you cap space rental for Westbrook, but if you want positive assets on top, you’ll need to put more on the table.

Sure, but we overstate the value of our guys. Doug and Josh probably wash each other out in terms of value. Maybe we get a second?

exstatic
11-25-2022, 11:06 PM
Sure, but we overstate the value of our guys. Doug and Josh probably wash each other out in terms of value. Maybe we get a second?

So, don’t include Doug.

slick'81
11-25-2022, 11:12 PM
So, don’t include Doug.

still get a 2nd

CGD
11-26-2022, 07:48 AM
So, don’t include Doug.

For the single first I’m probably going the other way: sending out Doug (and Romeo) only.

I want to hold on to Richardson for another deal such as being facilitators in Crowder trade.