PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Spurs are signing forward Alize Johnson on a one-deal, waiving Jordan Hall

ace3g
11-29-2022, 10:48 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1509990164415893517/qIuzsMq6_normal.jpg
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
(https://twitter.com/wojespn)1h (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1597588570319081472)The San Antonio Spurs are signing forward Alize Johnson on a one-deal, his agent @GeorgeLangberg (https://twitter.com/GeorgeLangberg/) tells ESPN. Johnson has averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds for Austin of the G League this season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1509990164415893517/qIuzsMq6_normal.jpg
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
(https://twitter.com/wojespn)1h (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1597588788062334977)The Spurs are waiving Jordan Hall to create the roster spot, sources said.

XDT76
11-29-2022, 11:26 AM
Does this mean Poeltl and Sochan are out long term? Or Spurs decide to play bigger instead of undersize?

exstatic
11-29-2022, 12:18 PM
Does this mean Poeltl and Sochan are out long term? Or Spurs decide to play bigger instead of undersize?

No? If Sochan were out for a while, they wouldn’t cut Hall, and sign a forward to replace Jeremy’s ball handling.

Poeltl could be out for a bit. His quad thing was non contact, which means a strain.

Excessive Egotist
11-29-2022, 12:51 PM
It's a small thing, but I think this is a front office misstep. The team is rebuilding. We need more developmental try-and-sees at the end of the roster, not a 26 year old journeyman. Without hyperbole, I would have preferred the Spurs have taken another try at Luka Samanic who is putting up okay numbers for Maine. Or, that the team have simply kept Hall and played him and Barlow more.

I get that Alize Johnson has shown more on an NBA floor than Hall (or an alternative, like Samanic), I just think there isn't much upside left to discover with him.

This move suggests Poeltl and Sochan will miss a few games, which is positive.

timvp
11-29-2022, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I don't really get this move. Hall isn't special but he was one of the few players on the roster with actual guard skills. Alize is your typical hustle undersized big who can be had for a dime a dozen.

Chinook
11-29-2022, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I don't really get this move. Hall isn't special but he was one of the few players on the roster with actual guard skills. Alize is your typical hustle undersized big who can be had for a dime a dozen.

It really feels like the Spurs like only 20 players total and haven't been scouting players from other teams. Besides Bassey, they haven't been poaching prospects like you'd expect of a team of their caliber. The lack of a functional GM getting rearing its head?

Not that I'm sad about Hall going. He wasn't awful, but they needed to move on. This just doesn't feel like moving on so much as moving around.

FutureMan
11-29-2022, 01:37 PM
Makes sense. Spurs fans wanted Bassey so they signed Johnson instead.

Excessive Egotist
11-29-2022, 01:42 PM
It really feels like the Spurs like only 20 players total and haven't been scouting players from other teams. Besides Bassey, they haven't been poaching prospects like you'd expect of a team of their caliber. The lack of a functional GM getting rearing its head?

Not that I'm sad about Hall going. He wasn't awful, but they needed to move on. This just doesn't feel like moving on so much as moving around.

I had a similar feeling on draft night when the skipped on Josh Minott at 38. There must have been some intel on Minott that caused the Spurs and other teams to pass. But in the moment, passing on a 19 year old wing with skills but in need of development situation seemed odd for a team entering Year 1 of a rebuild.

John B
11-29-2022, 02:15 PM
I think Alize is JRich/McBuckets replacement once they traded them. As far as PG position, they’re happy developing Sochan as Point Forward and eventually have Wesley back.

R. DeMurre
11-29-2022, 02:24 PM
Weird... it's almost like they're making moves whose ultimate goals do not involve winning more games, or something.

td4mvp2k
11-29-2022, 03:11 PM
hall was trash no biz in the nba

poopbox
11-29-2022, 03:27 PM

Said by every spurs fan on 90% of the moves they have made in the last 4 years tbh :rollin

Mr. Body
11-29-2022, 03:28 PM
Maybe play Bassey. Hell if I know.

exstatic
11-29-2022, 03:38 PM
Makes sense. Spurs fans wanted Bassey so they signed Johnson instead.

Bassey hasn’t done a whole hell of a lot since those first 2-3 games. I’m a fan, but he’s not ready for prime time.

exstatic
11-29-2022, 03:41 PM

We snagged both Bassey and Roby,even picking up Robys contract by claiming him off waivers. I wouldn’t have signed Hall, but considering their roster has been a full 15, with both 2ways also full, for all but a handful of days, I’m not sure how you expect them to poach players, especially since you didn’t name names.

Chinook
11-29-2022, 03:47 PM
We snagged both Bassey and Roby,even picking up Robys contract by claiming him off waivers. I wouldn’t have signed Hall, but considering their roster has been a full 15, with both 2ways also full, for all but a handful of days, I’m not sure how you expect them to poach players, especially since you didn’t name names.

It's not my job to "name names". I'm not a GM. But typically teams would continue to cycle players looking for guys who stick. Re-signing guys you've already cut at least once is weird. Even the contending Spurs did a better job at sifting through the dregs than this iteration is doing now.

baseline bum
11-29-2022, 03:50 PM

Don't need no guard skills on the roster when we tanking.

JeffDuncan
11-29-2022, 03:54 PM

Johnson and Hall are listed as the same size. Same height, and within 3 lbs in weight.

If anything, it’s a decision to play smaller. Hall is tall for a guard, but Johnson is short for a pf.

It basically just means they’ve given up on Hall, and replaced him with a player already on hand who might get some minutes. Nothing mysterious.

JeffDuncan
11-29-2022, 04:05 PM
… But typically teams would continue to cycle players looking for guys who stick. Re-signing guys you've already cut at least once is weird. Even the contending Spurs did a better job at sifting through the dregs than this iteration is doing now.

Maybe the Primo scandal is still too fresh in the minds of the FO. It’s left them shy about looking farther afield (presuming they’re competent to look farther afield, I mean.)

KingKev
11-29-2022, 04:31 PM
I think it is great Brian Wright and PATFO spend all of their time on the 15th men. Very important.

Atl Spur
11-29-2022, 04:56 PM
I think it is great Brian Wright and PATFO spend all of their time on the 15th men. Very important.

That group has never got anything done….

TD 21
11-29-2022, 05:34 PM
I was just thinking they desperately needed less ball handling/play making and another big who can't shoot.

slick'81
11-29-2022, 05:36 PM
Tank is looking great

KingKev
11-29-2022, 05:56 PM
I was just thinking they desperately needed less ball handling/play making and another UNDERSIZED big who can't shoot.

Fixed.

FutureMan
11-29-2022, 09:02 PM
Bassey hasn’t done a whole hell of a lot since those first 2-3 games. I’m a fan, but he’s not ready for prime time.

Maybe not. But Bassey is a better choice for this team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-30-2022, 04:48 AM
Perfect for the tank. This guy assures we won’t be getting better anytime soon.

DPG21920
11-30-2022, 11:34 AM
I agree with Chinook

Spurs FO has been better, especially finally engaging in trades and picking more of a direction. But between Primo pick/situation and this? It’s a small thing, but teams like Spurs need to be relentless. They have no reason not to be constantly taking high upside low risk gambles on young players. This just reeks of coasting and lack of effort

Not a HUGE deal, but it’s just more signs of some of the “issues” with current GM situation IMO. All about the details especially for small markets like SA who are rebuilding.

wildbill2u
11-30-2022, 11:53 AM
I think I would have preferred to give Barlow more minutes since the front line has some injuries. This looks like a time where you could realistically plug him in without worrying too much about winning, although Hall wasn't giving us much at Guard so moving him isn't a real concern. I guess I just want to see more time given to the youngsters, especially when there is a injury situation that opens up some minutes.

exstatic
11-30-2022, 12:52 PM
I agree with Chinook

Spurs FO has been better, especially finally engaging in trades and picking more of a direction. But between Primo pick/situation and this? It’s a small thing, but teams like Spurs need to be relentless. They have no reason not to be constantly taking high upside low risk gambles on young players. This just reeks of coasting and lack of effort

Not a HUGE deal, but it’s just more signs of some of the “issues” with current GM situation IMO. All about the details especially for small markets like SA who are rebuilding.

Do you really want to be better, right now? We picked up two decent pieces before the season in Roby and Bassey.

I guess I’m less complaint oriented than a lot of people on this board. If you can’t point at a player and say “we should have picked HIM up”, then I really DGAF who our 15th man is, rebuilding or not.

XDT76
11-30-2022, 01:46 PM
I think I would have preferred to give Barlow more minutes since the front line has some injuries. This looks like a time where you could realistically plug him in without worrying too much about winning, although Hall wasn't giving us much at Guard so moving him isn't a real concern. I guess I just want to see more time given to the youngsters, especially when there is a injury situation that opens up some minutes.

Given Barlow performance in the G league, he probably not even ready for the G league. Playing him in the NBA will probably destroy his confidence.

DPG21920
11-30-2022, 10:39 PM
Do you really want to be better, right now? We picked up two decent pieces before the season in Roby and Bassey.

I guess I’m less complaint oriented than a lot of people on this board. If you can’t point at a player and say “we should have picked HIM up”, then I really DGAF who our 15th man is, rebuilding or not.

Ya - I think context matters. As I said, I don think it matters in the sense of wins/losses now or truly shaping the future either way. But it’s about the process and details etc…at least for me. Enough to comment on via the message board but not something to get all worked up over.

Chinook
11-30-2022, 11:49 PM

Nah. We're not getting paid a bunch of money to scout everyone. It's not our jobs to be scouring the d-league trying to find talent. But it is their job, and they should be doing it.

Yes, the team should want to improve their prospect pool now. If their sole goal were being bad, they can do a better job of it. The Sixers were a horrible team with Covington. The Thunder were a horrible team with Dort. There's no excuse for them to not do the little things to try to improve their long-term position. We aren't just talking about a "15th man" like in the old days. We're talking about a guy who is going to get a chance to play. KBD was the 15th man last season. Langford was the 15th man this season. They both played more than 20 minutes tonight. Alize played tonight. It matters, and they shouldn't just piss those opportunities away. It's not like they have much else to do right now.

That said, I understand it's a tight needle to thread. They can't just worry about future value. They should care about the guys on their team, and you can argue getting folks who've trained in the system allows for better flow. But Johnson and Hall suck. Even though they know the plays, they aren't helping out there. The chance that there is a d-leaguer out there who can play in the NBA is relatively high, given how many of them break into the league. It might take some Othyus Jefferses and Malcolm Thomases to get there, but they have the time and minutes to spare.

DPG21920
12-01-2022, 09:34 AM
Well said ^

emanueldavidginobili
12-03-2022, 10:39 AM
Hall 33 points 9-12 from three and 12 rebounds for Austin last night.