PDA

View Full Version : What is Victor Wembanyamas ceiling?

MultiTroll
11-29-2022, 11:57 AM
How high (or low) can Victor go?

exstatic
11-29-2022, 12:11 PM
Kareem, with elite handles and range to 28 feet. Watched a Bill Simmons podcast, and he brought up an interesting point. If Wemby develops a sky hook, where he elevates, and basically flips the ball downward immediately, he’ll truly be unstoppable. You literally can’t block that shot without it being goaltending, because it’s on the way down when he releases it. He could shatter the NBA FG% record.

Leetonidas
11-29-2022, 12:11 PM
Kareem/Durant hybrid tbh

spurraider21
11-29-2022, 12:35 PM
Nash's shot, Rose's athleticism, and Parker's speed and finishing ability

Ariel
11-29-2022, 12:39 PM
Ceiling? Easy: GOAT. The worries are more in line with his floor, which is him suffering a freak injury that won't allow him to realize his potential. Barring that, it's a given he'll be great.

R. DeMurre
11-29-2022, 01:08 PM
More relevant question currently is probably what Keldon's ceiling is. If the Spurs are lucky enough to land Victor, is KJ the SF that pairs best with him?

Arcadian
11-29-2022, 01:32 PM
I have no idea, tbh

stnick2261
11-29-2022, 01:33 PM
Ceiling: Better than Kevin Durant
Floor: Worse than Greg Oden

John B
11-29-2022, 02:59 PM
Ceiling? Enough for Pop to actually embrace tanking

thiste
11-29-2022, 03:48 PM
Kareem, with elite handles and range to 28 feet. Watched a Bill Simmons podcast, and he brought up an interesting point. If Wemby develops a sky hook, where he elevates, and basically flips the ball downward immediately, he’ll truly be unstoppable. You literally can’t block that shot without it being goaltending, because it’s on the way down when he releases it. He could shatter the NBA FG% record.
I have seen Wembanyama shoot a sky hook (and make it) and I'm sure he's aware of Kareem's style of play, but I just don't think it's truly necessary for him. Kareem only developed the sky hook because they forbade dunking cuz he was so good. And it's only natural people think about it as Victor's the closest thing we've seen to a young Lew Alcindor (that was my first thought as well), but when you see any of Victor's regular shots, his release point is already so high he really doesn't need to develop an entirely new shot.
People already can't contest Durant's shot, let alone Victor who's like 6 inches taller & longer... people don't truly realize how big Victor is.

exstatic
11-29-2022, 04:05 PM
I have seen Wembanyama shoot a sky hook (and make it) and I'm sure he's aware of Kareem's style of play, but I just don't think it's truly necessary for him. Kareem only developed the sky hook because they forbade dunking cuz he was so good. And it's only natural people think about it as Victor's the closest thing we've seen to a young Lew Alcindor (that was my first thought as well), but when you see any of Victor's regular shots, his release point is already so high he really doesn't need to develop an entirely new shot.
People already can't contest Durant's shot, let alone Victor who's like 6 inches taller & longer... people don't truly realize how big Victor is.

Yeah, and I love his jumper, but percentages on that are much lower than a skyhook right at the rim. ELITE mid range shooter are like 45-47%. Current big man FG percentages in the restricted are are like 60%+. Now, add in the fact that a Wemby skyhook would be unblockable, since it’s already going down when it leaves his hand. 70%? 75%?

JPB
11-29-2022, 04:47 PM
Ceiling: Better than Kevin Durant
Floor: Worse than Greg Oden

victor has past the "intriguing" phase. It's a fact now that we have never seen a player that size with so many skills and som much fluidity. Greg Oden hadn't shown 0.1% of what Vic showed already before entering the NBA...

Oden's nver been called an "alien" or "cheat code" by all time greats. Lebron Giannis, Durant, Steph all said Vic will be ownng the NBA for the next 15 years...

A 7'4 with guy with PG ball handling, making step back or one leg 3s when he's not doing fade away jumpers, or rejecting everybody to the parking lot. Forget sky hooks, the guy is litterally unblockable, whatever the shot... There's that pic of 6'9 guy defending on him on a 3 where his hand all raised up is still like 7 feet away from the Victor's release point.

The only thing that can prevent him for being an all-time great is indeed injuries... Barring that, he's gonna be the best player in the world until up 2035...

BacktoBasics
11-29-2022, 05:15 PM
Goat ceiling but his floor is at least Bol Bol or his Dad.

Oden was a kinda an anomaly.

Rocalcio
11-29-2022, 05:16 PM
The highest poll option isn’t high enough. I love Timmy just like anyone on this forum, but Wembanyama’s ceiling his above Duncan’s.

slick'81
11-29-2022, 05:36 PM
7'4 durant who can defend the rim

playblair
11-29-2022, 06:54 PM
greg oden

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-29-2022, 07:08 PM
i mean i think at least 12' given his height. he doesn't want to be cramped in some 10' ceilinged apartment

heyheymymy
11-29-2022, 07:28 PM
7'3 Durant

Arcadian
11-29-2022, 11:05 PM
The highest poll option isn’t high enough. I love Timmy just like anyone on this forum, but Wembanyama’s ceiling his above Duncan’s.

That's the highest category, though. Tim was a generational talent, and arguably the best franchise player to ever play for one franchise. That's the same category Jordan and Kareem are in.

As talented and physically freakish as this guy is, he can only hope to have a career like Tim's. That takes some luck and alignment of the right circumstances.

itzsoweezee
11-30-2022, 12:08 AM
Multiple mvps level (assuming he’s healthy)

Robz4000
11-30-2022, 12:19 AM
Nash's shot, Rose's athleticism, and Parker's speed and finishing ability

:lol was hoping someone had posted this when I saw this thread

Chomag
11-30-2022, 10:55 PM
Best cases: Something that we have not ever seen before.

Worst case: Kevin Durant

C-Dub
11-30-2022, 11:55 PM
When it comes to Victor's ceiling, my guess would be what the all time ofgreat MJ once said, "The Roof".

paperboy77
12-01-2022, 09:34 PM
Gets to play 8yrs in the league despite chronic foot problems. (Sorry to say.)