PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Progress Report 2.0: A Look at Each Player After 25 Games

timvp
12-10-2022, 01:44 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/progress-report-2-san-antonio-spurs/

4,000 more words for the diehards :bobo

Marco
12-10-2022, 08:38 AM
Thanks, LJ!

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-10-2022, 09:02 AM
pop has let a couple of losable games get away from us this year but other than that he's been GOAT per par

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-10-2022, 10:29 AM
Lots of great work for a team that is tanking. Thanks LJ!

Mr. Body
12-10-2022, 02:54 PM
Impressive analysis, especially considering most of these players won't even be Spurs in one or two years.

Overall, this team's defense sucks. So bad. Open threes galore. What happened?

Keldon -- Could be a great third player on a contender. Imagine him on someone like Philadelphia. If he's not shooting well, what does he do? He's been going to floaters and in-lane jumpers recently which have been good.

Vassel -- He's not the dynamic, unstoppable scorer this NBA iteration demands, but he's getting midranges and sort of sometimes driving all the way to the basket. Right now his upside is higher than KJ's to me.

Tre Jones -- A very good year for him, quietly though. He's showing himself a near-starter or high level bench player. Proving himself as a great pick.

Poeltl -- Bigger question than his play is where his future is. His passing on rolls is really good.

Sochan -- Just stop shooting threes. Parker was better at range and they got him to stop. Need more rebounding. The defense is a mess without him and his ability to handle the ball already is very good. Seems the type of player to keep improving.

Collins -- Not really big on him. He gives up too much size for a center. He has a place in the league, but not as a starter and not sure anyone would want to pick him up. Still wait and see.

Roby -- If Trey Lyles keeps bouncing around the league, Roby can keep bouncing around the league.

Keita -- As neutral a player as you can imagine, but somehow also negative. We'll always have 11-11 against the Lakers.

Wesley -- Promising in a brief flash. Speed already puts him on the court, but he was showing knowledge of sets and structure.

Branham -- Goddamn, gain some confidence, kid. His handles are much better than expected but he has the yips something fierce. Doesn't seem like he feels he doesn't belong, yet. He still dies on screens.

Bassey -- I'm bullish on him and think his regression came from thinking thorugh his positions and instructions too much where previously he was 'just playing,' in Pop's words. Now that he seems to not be second guessing things, he is loosening up again.

Langford -- Same as Bassey. He's not thinking through his possessions as much anymore. I wish he was a lockdown defender; he's only a very good defender. On ofefnse, he has a knack for drives, but his shot sucks. He does come up with hustle plays others don't.

KingKev
12-10-2022, 11:44 PM
Great analysis.

All I see is a roster of potential trade chips until we have a player who looks like they could be worth building around.

Thomas82
12-11-2022, 12:03 AM
Great analysis.

All I see is a roster of potential trade chips until we have a player who looks like they could be worth building around.

That's basically how I see this roster.

Atl Spur
12-11-2022, 12:10 AM
Tony allen was 6”4

TD 21
12-11-2022, 11:50 AM
Poeltl - Should be traded.

Vassell - Probably won't be a star, but as a malleable starting wing, the only surefire keeper.

Johnson - Looks like a forward version of Powell, which is more 6th man than core building block, but keep for now.

Sochan - Either needs a reliable three to be a legit starter or to be good enough without one that he's worth prioritizing pursuing a floor spacing rim protector.

Jones - A reasonably reliable 3 away from being a surefire rotation player, but either way looks poised to be entrenched as new "culture" carrier.

Richardson - See Poeltl.

McDermott - A good fit all the way around for all the obvious reasons. Would obviously be open to trading, but wouldn't be looking to do so this season.

Collins - Injuries have sapped him of his athleticism. Still youngish and closest thing to a rotational stretch big, so keep for now.

Langford - Minus the "culture" carrying, see Jones. Unless he's needed salary ballast in a trade, keep for now.

Bates-Diop - If he's not salary ballast in a trade, don't re-sign.

Roby - See Langford.

Bassey - Needs some refinement, but looks the part of a rotation player. Convert to standard, give him the Eubanks contract.

Branham - Unfortunately looks like a more polished, less athletic version of Walker IV 2.0.

Wesley - Erratic and wild, similar to Murray and Johnson, he at least has the mentality needed to succeed.

KingKev
12-11-2022, 11:56 AM
^ well said. Keep extending youth on team friendly deals and continue to accumulate draft capital.

scott
12-12-2022, 08:25 PM
Bran needs some G League time but it seems like injuries keep him on the big squad.

Mr. Body
12-12-2022, 08:40 PM
Branham - Unfortunately looks like a more polished, less athletic version of Walker IV 2.0.

I can't think of a worse comparison to make. Congrats on that one.

Dex
12-12-2022, 09:38 PM
Keep up the good work!

:bobo

TD 21
12-12-2022, 11:21 PM
I can't think of a worse comparison to make. Congrats on that one.

Unsurprisingly went way over your head. I meant in terms of mentality. Both so stuck in their head, too nice and worried about stepping on toes or messing up.