PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Gregg Popovich, the young San Antonio Spurs and re-learning how to win in the NBA

JPB
12-17-2022, 04:27 PM
Long ESPN story on Spurs rebuilding:

Gregg Popovich, the young San Antonio Spurs and re-learning how to win in the NBA
2:00 PM CET, Tim MacMahon ESPN Staff Writer

Full story: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35266021/gregg-popovich-young-san-antonio-spurs-re-learning-how-win-nba

THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS still had flickering postseason hopes as they prepared for their regular-season finale in Dallas last April. Not that it had been a priority.

San Antonio had made a series of moves over the previous months that signaled a shift into a rebuilding period. The Spurs didn't attempt to keep their leading scorer DeMar DeRozan in free agency, instead working with his agent to orchestrate a sign-and-trade deal with the Chicago Bulls. San Antonio moved valued veterans Thaddeus Young and Derrick White at the trade deadline to Eastern Conference contenders.

Those moves netted four future first-round picks -- and seemingly pulled the plug on the Spurs' competitive aspirations for the 2021-22 season.

However, someone had to claim the Western Conference's final play-in bid. And due to injuries and incompetence, not necessarily in that order, the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings fell short. The teams near the bottom of the West standings showed no interest.

The politically correct way to put it is that those teams prioritized player development, but the reality is there were some egregious tanking measures taken, such as giving major minutes to G League call-ups who had no legitimate chances of NBA futures.

So, um, why didn't the Spurs -- whose season ended with a road loss to the New Orleans Pelicans in the first play-in game -- go that route instead of remaining in the NBA's version of purgatory?

"There's a lot to unpack there," Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said before that regular-season finale in Dallas. "Part of it is, it's just not who we are. It's not who I am. I can't operate like that. Which might not be the most intelligent overall philosophy to have, and I get that....

heyheymymy
12-17-2022, 04:40 PM
"re-learning how to win in the NBA"

be a big market and suck silvers dick?

Tyronn Lue
12-17-2022, 04:47 PM
"re-learning how to win in the NBA"

be a big market and suck silvers dick?
Tank, like you did to get Tim. Relearn that.

PhantomDashCam
12-17-2022, 05:13 PM
Thanks OP. Enjoyed the read.

KingKev
12-18-2022, 08:42 AM
Long ESPN story on Spurs rebuilding:

Gregg Popovich, the young San Antonio Spurs and re-learning how to win in the NBA
2:00 PM CET, Tim MacMahon ESPN Staff Writer

Full story: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35266021/gregg-popovich-young-san-antonio-spurs-re-learning-how-win-nba

THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS still had flickering postseason hopes as they prepared for their regular-season finale in Dallas last April. Not that it had been a priority.

San Antonio had made a series of moves over the previous months that signaled a shift into a rebuilding period. The Spurs didn't attempt to keep their leading scorer DeMar DeRozan in free agency, instead working with his agent to orchestrate a sign-and-trade deal with the Chicago Bulls. San Antonio moved valued veterans Thaddeus Young and Derrick White at the trade deadline to Eastern Conference contenders.

Those moves netted four future first-round picks -- and seemingly pulled the plug on the Spurs' competitive aspirations for the 2021-22 season.

However, someone had to claim the Western Conference's final play-in bid. And due to injuries and incompetence, not necessarily in that order, the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings fell short. The teams near the bottom of the West standings showed no interest.

The politically correct way to put it is that those teams prioritized player development, but the reality is there were some egregious tanking measures taken, such as giving major minutes to G League call-ups who had no legitimate chances of NBA futures.

So, um, why didn't the Spurs -- whose season ended with a road loss to the New Orleans Pelicans in the first play-in game -- go that route instead of remaining in the NBA's version of purgatory?

"There's a lot to unpack there," Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said before that regular-season finale in Dallas. "Part of it is, it's just not who we are. It's not who I am. I can't operate like that. Which might not be the most intelligent overall philosophy to have, and I get that....

Well played.

Pop being very transparent here. This team will finally bottom out when the new HC takes over. Hard to see Pop taking one for the team on his way out and going full tank. This team will win 5-8 meaningless games down the stretch that will take us out of the Victor/Scoot race for Pop’s pride and morals.

mo7888
12-18-2022, 08:55 AM
Well played.

Pop being very transparent here. This team will finally bottom out when the new HC takes over. Hard to see Pop taking one for the team on his way out and going full tank. This team will win 5-8 meaningless games down the stretch that will take us out of the Victor/Scoot race for Pop’s pride and morals.

We'll be bottom 3 at the end of this season...then it's just up to how the ping pong balls go...

KingKev
12-18-2022, 09:35 AM
We'll be bottom 3 at the end of this season...then it's just up to how the ping pong balls go...

Top 4 is my sweet spot. Christmas in June baby!!!

mo7888
12-18-2022, 09:38 AM
Top 4 is my sweet spot. Christmas in June baby!!!

It's possible...but probably our ceiling if Pop coaches to win every game and has players available. Detroit is the only team I see being worse than us myself. I figure Charlotte will pass us...Orlando is just better than us and Houston I think is about even. .

KingKev
12-18-2022, 10:21 AM
It's possible...but probably our ceiling if Pop coaches to win every game and has players available. Detroit is the only team I see being worse than us myself. I figure Charlotte will pass us...Orlando is just better than us and Houston I think is about even. .

Agreed but this quote is just troublesome but it also could be CIA Pop doing Coach Pop things… covering his tracks before the ultimate tank rolls in… let’s hope so.

”Which might not be the most intelligent overall philosophy to have, and I get that....”

mo7888
12-18-2022, 01:14 PM
Agreed but this quote is just troublesome but it also could be CIA Pop doing Coach Pop things… covering his tracks before the ultimate tank rolls in… let’s hope so.

”Which might not be the most intelligent overall philosophy to have, and I get that....”

I agree... I think it's a little bit subterfuge though... it's like saying I know I shouldn't but I'm trying my damndest while knowing you're gonna be sitting some of your options in strategic games.

MultiTroll
12-18-2022, 01:16 PM
1997 Pop tanked.

Don't be in denial.

Jordan Jackson
12-18-2022, 01:50 PM
1997 Pop tanked.

Don't be in denial.

Yes, he absolutely did. Him pretending to be above it all is pretty amusing though.

R. DeMurre
12-18-2022, 03:08 PM
There are so many subtle levels to tanking, and I think a lot of it winds up just turning into a game of semantics. They traded away White & Murray with an eye towards the future, and then the Primo situation happened, so now suddenly Pop's experimenting with using a rookie PF at PG... In a normal year under more normal circumstances, that probably doesn't happen. But in this scenario, it becomes perfectly fine to conduct experiments that might lead to future wins, since the win total this year has already been acknowledged as less than a #1 priority. So while the Sochan experiment is very interesting, I'd say it's still connected the earlier actions that were not made with a Win Now philosophy.

slick'81
12-18-2022, 03:11 PM
Poor spurs

exstatic
12-18-2022, 03:18 PM
There are so many subtle levels to tanking, and I think a lot of it winds up just turning into a game of semantics. They traded away White & Murray with an eye towards the future, and then the Primo situation happened, so now suddenly Pop's experimenting with using a rookie PF at PG... In a normal year under more normal circumstances, that probably doesn't happen. But in this scenario, it becomes perfectly fine to conduct experiments that might lead to future wins, since the win total this year has already been acknowledged as less than a #1 priority. So while the Sochan experiment is very interesting, I'd say it's still connected the earlier actions that were not made with a Win Now philosophy.

That move has paid big dividends, and I wouldn’t categorize it as pro tank, at all. I always isolate on players during a game, and in Mexico City,he ran a pick and roll, and dropped a perfect pocket pass to Poeltl. If you draft a 6’9” defensive monster that can do that? He could wind up being the steal of the draft at #9. I agree that it doesn’t happen with the Primo event AND the Wesley issue.

R. DeMurre
12-18-2022, 04:07 PM
That move has paid big dividends, and I wouldn’t categorize it as pro tank, at all. I always isolate on players during a game, and in Mexico City,he ran a pick and roll, and dropped a perfect pocket pass to Poeltl. If you draft a 6’9” defensive monster that can do that? He could wind up being the steal of the draft at #9. I agree that it doesn’t happen with the Primo event AND the Wesley issue.

I'm a fan of Sochan's, so I'm not being critical of him at all. My point is just that the ability to give him time as a PG during the season is a direct result of the previous tanking moves. In a different scenario, with a playoff spot possible, that's probably an experiment you leave for next summer.

KingKev
12-18-2022, 06:30 PM
I'm a fan of Sochan's, so I'm not being critical of him at all. My point is just that the ability to give him time as a PG during the season is a direct result of the previous tanking moves. In a different scenario, with a playoff spot possible, that's probably an experiment you leave for next summer.

Sprinkles moonlighting as a PG is not tanking; it’s poor roster construction, injuries and mostly PATFO ineptness. Sochan is a borderline NBA player at this point like Josh Primo before him. He will never be a fking point guard.

Mugen
12-19-2022, 12:06 PM
"Luck into drafting a generational player and then pretend like he wasn't the sole reason for 5 championships" :lol

slick'81
12-19-2022, 12:22 PM
"Luck into drafting a generational player and then pretend like he wasn't the sole reason for 5 championships" :lol

seriously, duncan is the only reason the spurs are relevant

MultiTroll
12-19-2022, 12:49 PM
Yes, he absolutely did. Him pretending to be above it all is pretty amusing though.

seriously, duncan is the only reason the spurs are relevant
Is there any chance the players, having more maturity and BBIQ and seeing the big picture as to what is at stake.....

Come the stretch run last couple weeks when Popped wants to up his win total by beating totally tanking teams...

The players themselves tank knowing it's a shot at generational Wama?

exstatic
12-19-2022, 02:29 PM
Is there any chance the players, having more maturity and BBIQ and seeing the big picture as to what is at stake.....

Come the stretch run last couple weeks when Popped wants to up his win total by beating totally tanking teams...

The players themselves tank knowing it's a shot at generational Wama?

The Spurs tanked by trading All Stars in consecutive summers for draft picks. They don’t have to try to lose most nights. If any player has his shoe come untied, he’s out for at least 2-3 games.

Mr. Body
12-19-2022, 05:12 PM
Giving up a year of your career for a 14% chance at some player is remarkably stupid.

JPB
12-19-2022, 05:53 PM

Spurs don't win 5 without D-Rob, then Manu and TP, then Nephew... the last 3 of them totally being on PATFO... Nor do they without the "beautiful", unselfish game that inspired the rest of the NBA, (just like spurs international scouting)...

But haters gotta hate.

JPB
12-19-2022, 05:56 PM
Giving up a year of your career for a 14% chance at some player is remarkably stupid.

It's not just about the first pick. Wemby is the jackpot but you also can hit a home run within the top 3-4... Spurs weren't going anywhere anyway.

Texas_Ranger
12-19-2022, 05:57 PM
Popovich will never lear how to win again. There ain't no Duncan to save his ass this time.

MultiTroll
12-19-2022, 07:54 PM
They don’t have to try to lose most nights. If any player has his shoe come untied, he’s out for at least 2-3 games.
True, but that is why they do need to lose the big games against other tankers and close games that are meaningless, other then to develop during the game.

Losing to Houston a week ago was huge.
On top of that the 112-111 in over Cleveland was insane. That is a game that needed to be lost.
Ditto the Miami loss.

Sure, Spurs will lose most games on their own.
That is why we don't need a theatrical table pounding Grandpa on the end of the Cavs game nor the end of season 2021-2 nonsense like was pulled last year down the stretch.
Wow, that 2022 Play In game was such an experience for the young players. It has such an effect on this year. So much better then to have moved up 4 spots in the draft.

tonight...you
12-19-2022, 07:58 PM
True, but that is why they do need to lose the big games against other tankers and close games that are meaningless, other then to develop during the game.

On top of that the 112-111 in over Cleveland was insane. That is a game that needed to be lost.
Ditto the Miami loss.

That is why we don't need a theatrical table pounding Grandpa on the end of the Cavs game nor the end of season 2021-2 nonsense like was pulled last year down the stretch.
Wow, that 2022 Play In game was such an experience for the young players. It has such an effect on this year. So much better then to have moved up 4 spots in the draft.
If that had happened and they did go up 4 spots in the Draft, I wonder who they might have picked.

exstatic
12-19-2022, 08:28 PM

Ditto the Miami loss.

The Miami one was just stupidity on their part. They were down one, Bam got a rebound in the restricted area, and kicked it out for a totally unnecessary 3 attempt. Spurs tried their best to blow the lead, but Miami wouldn’t take the bait. The Cleveland game was nearly identical, attempting a 3 they didn’t need for the tie.

John B
12-20-2022, 06:04 AM

1997 Pop had no championship legacy. People blame Pop too much for his pride (me being one of them), but when all is said and done, we will remember him as the greatest because he coached the way a coach should, against pundits and media pressure