PDA

View Full Version : Why It's Good News That Jeremy Sochan is Shooting One-Handed Free Throws

timvp
12-20-2022, 02:02 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/jeremy-sochan-one-handed-free-throws-video/

Keep at it, young buck :tu

Mr. Body
12-20-2022, 02:24 AM
Yeah, don't know why people are freaking out so much about this. They're clearly working to rebuild his stroke.

John B
12-20-2022, 05:55 AM
I thought I saw that but didn’t really think so much of it. I also practice shooting with one hand, and even more accurate on it simetimes, but not in game time. But I agree it takes a lot of guts to do that in a game, and Sochan does not lack guts, which is why he is going to be great. I’m so glad the Spurs are on a rebuilding and have chance of giving Sochan (and the rest) game time to work on their game, and it’s going to pay off. Likewise Malaki getting chances tonight and seeing his shots fall, and it goes for the rest of the team. It’s too bad they couldn’t tank against Rockets, which is the only thing that stinks in tonight’s game.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-20-2022, 10:55 AM
Sochan seems to be on the fast track when it comes to development.

Usually Spurs players introduce new things and even nuances in games after summer training , not during the season - even if these are things they're actively working on in training. The coaching staff sure seem to be pushing Sochan farther than most - from changing his shot mechanics to playing him at PG and guarding everyone from Steph Curry to some centers. Normally I'd think any player would be overwhelmed but I really hope it's going to be positive for his development.

KingKev
12-20-2022, 10:58 AM
Our lottery pick ladies and gentlemen. Is this the NBA or the special olympics?

John B
12-20-2022, 11:15 AM
Sochan seems to be on the fast track when it comes to development.

Usually Spurs players introduce new things and even nuances in games after summer training , not during the season - even if these are things they're actively working on in training. The coaching staff sure seem to be pushing Sochan farther than most - from changing his shot mechanics to playing him at PG and guarding everyone from Steph Curry to some centers. Normally I'd think any player would be overwhelmed but I really hope it's going to be positive for his development.

He seems to be up for the challenge whatever Coach Pop ask him to.

Vince Carter's ankle
12-20-2022, 11:16 AM
buzzkill

KingKev
12-20-2022, 12:02 PM
buzzkill

I like Sochan but for fucks sake. 2 years from now he’ll maybe be a playable rotational piece.

The Truth #6
12-20-2022, 12:36 PM
He’s fearless, and this may seem odd, but going out there and shooting a one-handed free-throw is ballsy. Shaq didn’t do anything like that in his whole NBA career, he just stayed a shitty shooter, and never tried to fix it. I don’t know, I think it’s awesome. Now, hopefully it actually pays dividends, but I don’t see how this can’t be anything but improvement and a good sign.

Mr. Body
12-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Just a note. I might have the details a bit wrong, but:

Sochan was supposed to go to the same high school academy that produced Jaden Ivey, I think in Indianapolis. Because of Covid, he had to pull out and wound up having to train somewhat in England, then went to Germany. He briefly played for the Polish national team. Then he went to Baylor, where he came off the bench but was an impact player in his freshman season. College programs don't have the time/ability to fully change a player's shot, due to practice restrictions.

His shot does suck, but it's not like he had a plateau of time in one place to break it down and build it back up. His shot on turnarounds and near midrange isn't actually that bad. I can't speak to how stiff his wrists are, but his touch isn't terrible. The fact that he is completely comfortable shooting one handed in front of crowds is great -- he doesn't care what anybody thinks, seems to be a big part of his personality.

Rocalcio
12-20-2022, 12:59 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/jeremy-sochan-one-handed-free-throws-video/

Keep at it, young buck :tu

You’re referring to Hayes in your pre-draft article. It has to be noticed that Killian’s shoot improved a lot and he’s making the most of Cunningham’s injury. He’s Detroit PG in the starting lineup and his numbers have been improving a lot. I’d actually be very happy if San Antonio could get him. He’s young, a great defender, high IQ, improving on offense, great passer. And he’s also French so if we could be lucky enough to pick Wembanyama that would be a huge positive point.

Going back to Sochan, if he can develop his shoot into Haye’s, that would already be good. He wouldn’t be afraid to shoot 3 and would hit quite a lot of them. And that would be a totally different threat. But he’ll get there, I’m not worried.

Seventyniner
12-20-2022, 01:21 PM
Sochan doesn't need to fix his shot quickly, he just needs to do it right. Getting to practice the new form in game without the pressure of winning now should help greatly.

spurraider21
12-20-2022, 03:11 PM
i knew sochan didnt have a good shot... but it turns out he doesnt really have a shot at all. better late then never, but encouraging to see he's willing to do stuff like this and take it in stride. he's already good enough at nearly everything to warrant playing time despite it

Ocotillo
12-20-2022, 04:52 PM
I wonder how long before we start to see Hack a Soch?

PhantomDashCam
12-20-2022, 05:42 PM
He actually reminds me a lot of former Sixer PG Eric Snow. The biggest difference atm obviously being the physical profile and sneaky athleticism he possesses.

I remember Doug Collins saying on a broadcast once, that “they love Eric Snow but he was such a terrible shooter, they didn’t know how they could play him. He has worked extremely hard (since then) to become an average shooter.”

If Sochan becomes even an average shooter, the guy might play 15+ years in this league making an all-star game or two.

CGD
12-20-2022, 06:04 PM
I wonder how long before we start to see Hack a Soch?

The spurs have to be in a game of consequence first

ambchang
12-20-2022, 09:41 PM
I like Sochan but for fucks sake. 2 years from now he’ll maybe be a playable rotational piece.

I’m with you. I’d rather he look cool than actually do anything to improve his game. All 19 year old #9 picks in the history of the league came in immediately and showed promise as a future star. Sochan is the only one who actually had to improve his game and it’s a disgrace. Proof positive that the FO are a bunch of morons.

So far we have the #20 and #25 picks barely playing anything. With three first round picks the spurs should be contending for a championship but this is just embarrassing. I think both of us should just quit this board and be the fans of one of the other 29 successful franchises.

spurraider21
12-20-2022, 10:26 PM
Just a note. I might have the details a bit wrong, but:

Sochan was supposed to go to the same high school academy that produced Jaden Ivey, I think in Indianapolis. Because of Covid, he had to pull out and wound up having to train somewhat in England, then went to Germany. He briefly played for the Polish national team. Then he went to Baylor, where he came off the bench but was an impact player in his freshman season. College programs don't have the time/ability to fully change a player's shot, due to practice restrictions.

His shot does suck, but it's not like he had a plateau of time in one place to break it down and build it back up. His shot on turnarounds and near midrange isn't actually that bad. I can't speak to how stiff his wrists are, but his touch isn't terrible. The fact that he is completely comfortable shooting one handed in front of crowds is great -- he doesn't care what anybody thinks, seems to be a big part of his personality.
its pretty clear that he has good feel/touch, which it why when he is near the basket, everything, including turnaround jumpers, look smooth and natural. however, having good touch doesnt make one a good shooter unless they have repeatable mechanics... something he hadn't developed to this point. it's not even like he just needs to work on his release point/speed or anything, he just completely needs to invent his jump shot from scratch. the one handed approach is something they do in like, middle school level basketball camp

dbestpro
12-21-2022, 06:51 AM
What is the best way to keep the ball from slipping off the the pinky side when trying to shoot through the large fingers of one hand?

ambchang
12-21-2022, 08:11 AM
What is the best way to keep the ball from slipping off the the pinky side when trying to shoot through the large fingers of one hand?

Jeff hornacek taped his pinky with the ring finger to avoid that back in the day and his shooting improved dramatically. That said he started off on a better position than sochan as a shooter.

exstatic
12-21-2022, 08:14 AM
its pretty clear that he has good feel/touch, which it why when he is near the basket, everything, including turnaround jumpers, look smooth and natural. however, having good touch doesnt make one a good shooter unless they have repeatable mechanics... something he hadn't developed to this point. it's not even like he just needs to work on his release point/speed or anything, he just completely needs to invent his jump shot from scratch. the one handed approach is something they do in like, middle school level basketball camp

Chip also taught the one hand method. His pupils would start at short distance, 10-12ft, and move in an arc all the way around the court.

Mr. Body
12-21-2022, 10:32 AM
Jeff hornacek taped his pinky with the ring finger to avoid that back in the day and his shooting improved dramatically. That said he started off on a better position than sochan as a shooter.

To be fair, Hornacek was 23 when he came into the league and was redshirted as a college freshman. I don't doubt he was a better shooter than Sochan at 19, but they're at different stages in their lives entering the NBA.

ace3g
12-21-2022, 12:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/971852605390336000/uA0TeMUO_normal.jpg
Jeff McDonald @JMcDonald_SAEN
(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)15m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1605616043744862208)
I'm sure it has happened in 27 years, but I've never seen Pop pick up a ball and personally demonstrate a shot for a player before Monday. Here is Sochan on that:"Having a legend like that put some time into you, it always means a lot. It shows they think something of me.”

(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)26m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1605614192240869376)
More Sochan:“During shootaround (in HOU), before I even touched the ball, Coach Pop and Coach Brown came up and said, ‘You’re shooting with one hand this game.’ I just did it. It’s more about my development than how it looks. I’m just going to listen to them and try my best.”

(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)38m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1605611241988186118)
Pop and Brett Brown suggested Jeremy Sochan shoot FTs one-handed in Houston. Here is Sochan explaining why:“When I’m doing it with one hand, my elbow’s in tight. When I put my guide hand, my elbow kind of drifts out. That’s what we’re emphasizing.”

KobesAchilles
12-21-2022, 02:47 PM
I guess bc NBA players are ridiculously strong but I never understood why people don’t use the backboard for free throws. You don’t even have to have a good shot. Just decent aim. Just hit the middle of the square and put some spin on it and it literally goes in every time. It felt like a cheat code when I discovered that.

lefty
12-21-2022, 03:43 PM
Just shoot it like Rick Barry tbh

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2022, 04:10 PM

LOL

ace3g
12-22-2022, 01:20 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1605974110684733440

KingKev
12-22-2022, 01:24 PM
^ Brett Brown knowing he found his tank commander.

Next years offense should be run through Keldon and Sochan.

SpurSpike
12-23-2022, 10:07 AM
Or maybe he's just doing his best Rodman impression?

https://twitter.com/BetUS_NBA/status/1605224751739408384?s=20&t=H83IYrzqEMRs1p6iJots4g

Dex
12-23-2022, 10:18 AM
Not only do I appreciate the fact that he is working on his shot, but moreso that he is willing to do it in game.

A lot of guys will only do this kind of stuff behind closed doors. They'll shoot one way in practice, but then revert to old form during games...that's just sending mixed signals to your brain and muscle memory.

I'm sure Sochan realizes this looks unorthodox and could be embarrassing if it doesn't go well, but he's sticking with the process. Another good sign for the rookie.

Mr. Body
12-23-2022, 10:26 AM
Laughing a bit at the choads who funny understand this is reconstructing his shot in real time. Always the same idiots.

Mr. Body
12-23-2022, 10:28 AM
Also... note that his arch is waaaay different and higher when he's shooting one handed. He needs to continue that.

exstatic
12-23-2022, 10:34 AM
The FTs are also having an effect on his 3 ball. He shot 4 last night. One was short, one was long, two were nothing but net, and ALL were on line with the rim.

John B
12-23-2022, 11:16 AM
This is becoming a very hot take. Sochan's aggressiveness on attacking the rim is a direct result of his new-found success on his one-handed FT. He's not afraid to get fouled. I think we'll just see him more aggressive as a result. Fuck I love it :ihit

I see more of Barkeley on him instead of Rodman. Yes Draymond, but Barkeley's swagger and confidence.

I don't know if anybody noticed, Sochan went between Valunciunas and a teammate taking high-five after a made FT. Valunciunas was just looking at him, like "who is this kid?" :lol

T Park
12-23-2022, 08:25 PM
The decision to not match englandS salary with OKC or do whatever it took to keep him still baffles me

exstatic
12-23-2022, 08:54 PM
The decision to not match englandS salary with OKC or do whatever it took to keep him still baffles me

His contract was up, and not everyone is up for a rebuild. Ironic that Holmgren got injured, throwing OKC back into the lottery.

Mr. Body
12-23-2022, 09:38 PM
Some people just want to live in Oklahoma.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-24-2022, 01:14 AM

https://y.yarn.co/130a51dc-0a3e-472a-977c-e5a60c2cc22a_text.gif

T Park
03-07-2023, 11:21 PM

Those people are mentally ill

baseline bum
03-07-2023, 11:28 PM
His contract was up, and not everyone is up for a rebuild. Ironic that Holmgren got injured, throwing OKC back into the lottery.

If the money is better OKC would be a no-brainer considering how much more talented their roster is. I'm not taking less to stay on a worse team.

slick'81
03-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Okc building that"CORE"

K...
05-08-2023, 04:53 PM

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-09-2023, 03:28 PM

Congrats Jeremy!

You could say he performed anywhere from the 6th to 10th best rookie this year making his draft position pretty accurate. If he can continue to improve his game he's got the potential to be very good. Sad all this player development has to happen in the league these days versus honing your game in college, but oh well, that's the nature of the sport.

rascal
05-09-2023, 03:33 PM
This is becoming a very hot take. Sochan's aggressiveness on attacking the rim is a direct result of his new-found success on his one-handed FT. He's not afraid to get fouled. I think we'll just see him more aggressive as a result. Fuck I love it :ihit

I see more of Barkeley on him instead of Rodman. Yes Draymond, but Barkeley's swagger and confidence.

I don't know if anybody noticed, Sochan went between Valunciunas and a teammate taking high-five after a made FT. Valunciunas was just looking at him, like "who is this kid?" :lol

Barkley could rebound, Rodman too.