PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio weather

MultiTroll
12-22-2022, 01:17 AM
Just turned Thursday in San Antone and wow, it's going to be a radical drop on Thursday night to 20 degrees or so.

Stay safe everyone. Hope you did the basics like keep your house pipes from cracking. Fill up your cars gas tanks just in case.

Is the city or county opening up any gyms etc that people without can flee to?

baseline bum
12-22-2022, 08:44 AM
Hope there are no fucking rolling blackouts again. Had that shit happen in 2011 when it got to 18 one morning and of course no one should ever forget Feb 2021.

Xevious
12-22-2022, 09:17 AM
It isn't going to stay cold that long, tomorrow being the worst of it. Hopefully there's minimal power issues. It'll be back up in the 70s by next weekend.

At least they aren't predicting any precipitation.

rascal
12-22-2022, 11:18 AM
San Antonio afraid of a few hours of cold weather.

baseline bum
12-22-2022, 11:22 AM

More like Greg Abbot and Rick Perry ensuring our power grid fails if there is any cold weather. We had five days of rolling blackouts from temperatures in the 20s in 2021.

MultiTroll
12-22-2022, 11:40 AM
Rick Perry
What became of that dooshebag?

baseline bum
12-22-2022, 11:44 AM
It isn't going to stay cold that long, tomorrow being the worst of it. Hopefully there's minimal power issues. It'll be back up in the 70s by next weekend.

At least they aren't predicting any precipitation.

It's going to be around freezing or below most of the time from about 6PM today until maybe noon Saturday. Had rolling blackouts in 2011 just from it being cold half a day.

benefactor
12-22-2022, 12:55 PM
Blowing into East Texas now. Lots of wind. Temps set to drop like 25 degrees over the next couple hours. Low of 10 degrees tonight

Blake
12-22-2022, 01:50 PM

I'm afraid of Texas power grid holding on for a few hours under 20 degrees

MultiTroll
12-22-2022, 02:13 PM
Not gonna happen, but wouldn't you guys like to see Hot Wheels, Cruz, Dick Perry the whole lot of them made to be outside in this weather?

Ef-man
12-22-2022, 02:25 PM
San Antonio can't afford an Xmas trip to Cancun.

benefactor
12-22-2022, 03:20 PM
24 here already...20 degrees in two hours

baseline bum
12-22-2022, 04:15 PM
24 here already...20 degrees in two hours

LOL we were at 63 about an hour ago. Now 40.

benefactor
12-22-2022, 04:47 PM
LOL we were at 63 about an hour ago. Now 40.
Its not going to be above freezing again until Saturday afternoon. Grid will get tested for sure.

pgardn
12-22-2022, 05:00 PM
My friend in Colorado was warned the storm had dust associated with it that was to be avoided.
He was driving in his car, took a picture of his temperature gauge 43F, and then a picture of the Huge wall of dust.
Fifteen minutes later after he broke through the dust storm he took a picture of the temp gauge in his car... 6 F

37 degree drop in 15 minutes.
He said it was recommended that they check a lot of their equipment at the ranch because the materials are not made to experience drops that quick. Ie dont freeze dry your tractors and such. I am glad I am in San Antonio. I am NOT glad Abbott can lie so easily in Texas . "Everything is winterized..." No. No its not.

pgardn
12-22-2022, 05:02 PM
58F to 40F in about three hours, not quite as drastic.
Differences definitely depend on where your temp device is and what kind it is.

Xevious
12-22-2022, 05:16 PM
lol I've been out all day, every time I've gotten out of the car this afternoon the temperature has noticably dropped. The wind is pretty brutal right now. I'm sure there will be some downed power lines tonight.

Xevious
12-22-2022, 05:25 PM
It's going to be around freezing or below most of the time from about 6PM today until maybe noon Saturday. Had rolling blackouts in 2011 just from it being cold half a day.
True. And considering nothing has been done to the grid since 2021, anything is possible.

MultiTroll
12-22-2022, 05:26 PM
72 here.

baseline bum
12-22-2022, 05:40 PM
63 to 31 in about two hours, starting to think the forecast low of 18 is too conservative

benefactor
12-22-2022, 06:05 PM
63 to 31 in about two hours, starting to think the forecast low of 18 is too conservative
19 and dropping here

Xevious
12-22-2022, 06:25 PM
Jesus this wind is pretty painful right now. Regardless of the temperature, it's going to feel a fuck of a lot worse.

baseline bum
12-22-2022, 07:07 PM
Jesus this wind is pretty painful right now. Regardless of the temperature, it's going to feel a fuck of a lot worse.

Wait until about 7AM when the wind chill will be around zero

Millennial_Messiah
12-23-2022, 12:28 AM
My friend in Colorado was warned the storm had dust associated with it that was to be avoided.
He was driving in his car, took a picture of his temperature gauge 43F, and then a picture of the Huge wall of dust.
Fifteen minutes later after he broke through the dust storm he took a picture of the temp gauge in his car... 6 F

He said it was recommended that they check a lot of their equipment at the ranch because the materials are not made to experience drops that quick. Ie dont freeze dry your tractors and such. I am glad I am in San Antonio. I am NOT glad Abbott can lie so easily in Texas . "Everything is winterized..." No. No its not.

How does Abbott's FWB Gretchen Whitmer do it then? It's going to snow the whole next month in Michigan and be mostly freezing temperatures throughout each January and February. How do they manage to have power and internet?

Millennial_Messiah
12-23-2022, 12:28 AM
14 degrees here

Millennial_Messiah
12-23-2022, 12:29 AM
More like Greg Abbot and Rick Perry ensuring our power grid fails if there is any cold weather. We had five days of rolling blackouts from temperatures in the 20s in 2021.

Feb 2021 was single digits in SA... negatives in DFW. For several days, plus moderate to heavy snow. This is nothing.

Millennial_Messiah
12-23-2022, 12:32 AM

The snow storm in Feb 2021 stopped the bleeding for the GOP in Texas. Just like Hurricane Ian with Desantis, natural disaster helped prop up and secure Abbott another strong double digit victory and now the state is trending back red.

I guess you can say something similar about Minnesota from summer 2020 onwards due to the George Floyd riots even though that wasn't a natural disaster. MN was on track to flip red for the first time since 1972 until Derek Chauvin / George Floyd and the ensuing chaos happened. Chaos benefits the incumbents.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2022, 01:22 AM
How does Abbott's FWB Gretchen Whitmer do it then? It's going to snow the whole next month in Michigan and be mostly freezing temperatures throughout each January and February. How do they manage to have power and internet?

Michigan is connected to the national grid.

baseline bum
12-23-2022, 07:31 AM
Feb 2021 was single digits in SA... negatives in DFW. For several days, plus moderate to heavy snow. This is nothing.

It hit 9 degrees once in that span. The days were mostly in the 20s and actually nice in the sun.

https://res.cloudinary.com/graham-media-group/image/upload/f_auto/q_auto/c_scale,w_900/v1/media/gmg/OIKWIKQXOVEZPPHPBZETXDCSMM.PNG

The snow also wasn't very heavy, it was like 3 inches on the night the rolling blackouts started and then we got an inch or two again one day later in the week.

baseline bum
12-23-2022, 07:33 AM

And we also had rolling blackouts in 2011 for one morning where it dropped to 19. It's colder than that already.

baseline bum
12-23-2022, 07:34 AM
Never can recall seeing air this dry in San Antonio. Dewpoint is like -3 right now.

Xevious
12-23-2022, 03:04 PM
It's actually nice outside today. The wind has died down, the sun is out, and there's zero precipitation. Just dress appropriately for the temp.

Mark Celibate
12-23-2022, 03:17 PM
tbh I have a few friends from up North that have had their pipes frozen already for forgetting to trickle their pipes. It's hilarious, because the common theme from them is "This never happened up there and it gets much colder" rofl I'm like 'weren't your water lines like 12 feet underground and run through a conditioned basement?"

IMHO, I think more and more people around here are starting to see why barely nobody settled in North Texas (South Oklahoma i saaiiid) until recently...crazy extremes in weather and sh!tty, inhospitable ground. Outside of a few decent farming areas, the rest were just badlands

Millennial_Messiah
12-23-2022, 04:58 PM
It hit 9 degrees once in that span. The days were mostly in the 20s and actually nice in the sun.

https://res.cloudinary.com/graham-media-group/image/upload/f_auto/q_auto/c_scale,w_900/v1/media/gmg/OIKWIKQXOVEZPPHPBZETXDCSMM.PNG

The snow also wasn't very heavy, it was like 3 inches on the night the rolling blackouts started and then we got an inch or two again one day later in the week.

I actually spent that week in DFW where the outages, snow, and temps were all significantly worse, more typical for Minnesota.

Millennial_Messiah
12-23-2022, 05:01 PM
tbh I have a few friends from up North that have had their pipes frozen already for forgetting to trickle their pipes. It's hilarious, because the common theme from them is "This never happened up there and it gets much colder" rofl I'm like 'weren't your water lines like 12 feet underground and run through a conditioned basement?"

IMHO, I think more and more people around here are starting to see why barely nobody settled in North Texas (South Oklahoma i saaiiid) until recently...crazy extremes in weather and sh!tty, inhospitable ground. Outside of a few decent farming areas, the rest were just badlands

Yeah. Horrible foundations to build houses and buildings on, no fall, pretty much 3 seasons.... hot summer, not summer, and storm season (spring).

DFW just isn't a good place to call a long term home. The food is far inferior to San Antonio too. They actually consider El Fenix and On The Border to be "authentic Mexican food" up there.

Millennial_Messiah
12-23-2022, 05:03 PM
It's actually nice outside today. The wind has died down, the sun is out, and there's zero precipitation. Just dress appropriately for the temp.

Sea World and Six Flags are both closed today and tomorrow and nobody's at the park playing basketball, because unlike me they can't take the cold. So, ergo, Nothing to do.

baseline bum
12-23-2022, 08:09 PM
I actually spent that week in DFW where the outages, snow, and temps were all significantly worse, more typical for Minnesota.

The outages were statewide from rolling blackouts. Well, statewide for any sucker on ERCOT's grid. El Paso was fine.

Millennial_Messiah
12-27-2022, 01:27 PM
The outages were statewide from rolling blackouts. Well, statewide for any sucker on ERCOT's grid. El Paso was fine.

What is El Paso on? The Texas-New Mexico system?

Millennial_Messiah
12-27-2022, 01:27 PM
lol, it's going to be in the 70s all this week now. :lol

SpursforSix
12-27-2022, 01:54 PM
No water for three days. Not ERCOT's fault but that gets pretty brutal pretty quick.

leemajors
12-27-2022, 02:51 PM
No water for three days. Not ERCOT's fault but that gets pretty brutal pretty quick.

Damn that sucks, sorry.

SpursforSix
12-27-2022, 03:04 PM
Damn that sucks, sorry.

I guess we kind of just dealt with it comparing it to 2021 when we didn't have water or electricity for about 4 days.
I can't imagine being a pioneer.

baseline bum
12-27-2022, 03:11 PM
What is El Paso on? The Texas-New Mexico system?

It's connected to the national grid so they were alright when most of us on the shitty Texas grid were dealing with rolling blackouts in 2021.

Millennial_Messiah
12-27-2022, 03:38 PM
It's connected to the national grid so they were alright when most of us on the shitty Texas grid were dealing with rolling blackouts in 2021.

Isn't there a separate national Western and national Eastern grid though?

Millennial_Messiah
12-27-2022, 03:39 PM
It's actually five, plus Texas:

https://www.epa.gov/system/files/styles/large/private/images/2022-01/nerc_map.png?itok=ube97fb0

Millennial_Messiah
12-27-2022, 03:41 PM
Reliability First seems to have the toughest job out of all of them yet they tend to be the most reliable. Hmm, wonder why.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2022, 05:48 PM
Reliability First seems to have the toughest job out of all of them yet they tend to be the most reliable. Hmm, wonder why.The priority of the Texas grid is explicitly not reliability.