PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry...What the fuck were you thinking?

Doug Collins
12-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Didn't see an anti-Barry thread yet so I made one. When he committed that foul I nearly drove to Dallas to punch him in the face. :drunk :pctoss :elephant :spin

SmotPoker
12-01-2005, 11:34 PM
nah, lets harp about the calls, I was pissed..yeah but the call on timmy was way worse.

ShoogarBear
12-01-2005, 11:35 PM
A better question, why do you ever substitute Barry in for defense in the first place?

Cant_Be_Faded
12-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Pop's chode blood vessels ruptured

SmotPoker
12-01-2005, 11:37 PM
A better question, why do you ever substitute Barry in for defense in the first place?

Thats exactly what I was thinking, You'd be better off putting in Marks.

Doug Collins
12-01-2005, 11:38 PM

That didn't make a lick of sense. The look on Michael Finley's face while he was walking to the bench with Brent coming in was priceless.

E20
12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Pop definitely said: "Oh fuck"

He said it right after Barry commited the foul, they should a replay and his mouth fit those perfectly.

sandman
12-01-2005, 11:39 PM
It seems that in about 0.001 seconds Brent went from going for a loose ball to fouling on a shot. First, it happened too quickly for him to react. Second, the league needs to put in more defining rules regarding act of shooting. That was clearly a case of saving a ball from out of bounds, getting bumped and then throwing the ball in the general vicinity of the hoop. There is absolutely no justification for saying that Daniels was attempting a shot at the time that Barry bumped him.

ShoogarBear
12-01-2005, 11:43 PM
No, people have been doing that for ages. No need for any rule change. That's just a smart play by Daniels and a dumb one by Brent.

loveforthegame
12-01-2005, 11:46 PM
I thought Finley was actually playing good defense tonight. Not great but I thought he was after guys and keeping them from getting in the lane.

JMarkJohns
12-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Just made the comment on this elsewhere. Insane mistake by Barry. I know he started out going for the loose ball, but when he saw he wasn't getting it, pull back. He was going to have to shoot the ball from that angle.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-01-2005, 11:51 PM
That was a loose ball foul at worst.

Unfortunately it was on Bennett's side and hence turned into three free throws. Not too surprising, Brent's only fault was not recognizing that he had the league's worst ref standing 3 feet away.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2005, 11:54 PM
No big deal.

Golffgod99
12-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Brent had the Mavs plus the 2 and a half..that explains it all right??

caŽlo
12-02-2005, 12:19 AM
i can see a doghouse coming.

George Gervin's Afro
12-02-2005, 12:25 AM
No, people have been doing that for ages. No need for any rule change. That's just a smart play by Daniels and a dumb one by Brent.

I agree. After I saw the replay I realized that daniels actually was fouled and then threw the ball up. pretty heads up play if you ask me..

Tek_XX
12-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah it was a good play by Daniels. If Brent Barry is going to come crashing into you go ahead and throw it up.

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 12:42 AM
I don't understand why Brent isn't allowed to chase a loose ball.

Fucking joke of a last few seconds by the refs. Absolute fucking joke.

Tek_XX
12-02-2005, 12:44 AM
I don't understand why Brent isn't allowed to chase a loose ball.

Fucking joke of a last few seconds by the refs. Absolute fucking joke.

If i remember the play correctly, Daniels had already obtained posession of the ball. Looked like a correct call to me. Calling Tim for Travelling while ignoring the entire Dallas Mavericks on his back was the bullshit call.

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 12:45 AM
He obtained possession a split second earlier than Brent and threw up a bullshit shot that forced contact.

Tek_XX
12-02-2005, 12:48 AM
He obtained possession a split second earlier than Brent and threw up a bullshit shot that forced contact.

So it's correct to imply the ball isn't loose anymore? Thus you can't come crashing into him it has to be called a foul.

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Crash smash he was reaching for a loose ball and Daniels flailed every part of his body on a forced shot and happened to come into contact.

You can break it down all you want, that's not a call a good ref makes in the closing seconds of a game.

Tek_XX
12-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Crash smash he was reaching for a loose ball and Daniels flailed every part of his body on a forced shot and happened to come into contact.

You can break it down all you want, that's not a call a good ref makes in the closing seconds of a game.

Don't expect the refs not to make a call just because it's in the closing seconds. Some of them get off on that. I'd say tell your friend Barry not to run into guys so we won't have to worry about it.

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 12:58 AM
So should players not chase after loose balls?

Somebody will always get there first. Are you saying all that player has to do is get there first and throw up a wild ass shot while contact is guaranteed and it's 3 automatic free throws?

Fuck that. I'm glad Barry was going after a loose ball. It was a bullshit call.

SequSpur
12-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Pop is a fucking fool.

Tek_XX
12-02-2005, 01:04 AM
So should players not chase after loose balls?

Somebody will always get there first. Are you saying all that player has to do is get there first and throw up a wild ass shot while contact is guaranteed and it's 3 automatic free throws?

Fuck that. I'm glad Barry was going after a loose ball. It was a bullshit call.

Of course he can go after loose balls but if he doesn't get it or can tell he won't be able to get it then he's got to play the man, and avoid fouling him. Dude that foul is going to be called everytime. That was all on Barry.

I'm a homer just like you but your Kool-aid is a little to sweet on this one.

mavsfan1000
12-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Yeah the refs were fucked up going both ways. Like Bowen hitting Dirk's elbow and Terry getting pushed out of bounds. The refs couldn't get a call right. They should be fired.

SequSpur
12-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Yeah the refs were fucked up going both ways. Like Bowen hitting Dirk's elbow and Terry getting pushed out of bounds. The refs couldn't get a call right. They should be fired.

:cry :cry :cry

:D

:stfu

LilMissSPURfect
12-02-2005, 01:08 AM
I saw barry going for the ball while daniels or whoever it was was jacking up a hail mary from out of bounds....

ChumpDumper
12-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Like Bowen hitting Dirk's elbowWith his face. Dirty, I tells ya.

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Of course he can go after loose balls but if he doesn't get it or can tell he won't be able to get it then he's got to play the man, and avoid fouling him. Dude that foul is going to be called everytime. That was all on Barry.

I'm a homer just like you but your Kool-aid is a little to sweet on this one.

:lol

Ain't a homer thing, it's a basketball fan thing. I wouldn't want to see a Spurs player get the benefit of that call either.

I guess the new strategy should be to throw up a wild shot on every rebound and loose ball. Yippee free throw contests... I know I enjoyed Game 1 of the 2003 WCF, how bout you guys?

mavsfan1000
12-02-2005, 01:16 AM
With his face. Dirty, I tells ya.

I was talking about Dirk's shot at the end of the game. Anyways Bowen deserved a hit.
:lol

Solid D
12-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Barry was substituted in for Horry, not Finley. Finley was out there at the end. Barry was sent in to guard Devin Harris.

The play just before the 3-shot foul, Barry did a nice job of getting in front of Harris after the rub at the top and drive. He cut off the drive and although AJ complained that Barry fouled, it was a good strong move to cut off the dribble by Barry with mild contact. He got the stop Pop was looking for.

SouthernFried
12-02-2005, 06:48 AM
They were both going balls to the wall to get that lose ball, Daniels just got it first. To expect Barry to then immediately stop and back off the ball in that split second...would require a new law of physics.

And if Barry can't defy the laws of physics...bench him.

It wasn't a bad play by Brent...so much as it was a great one by Daniels.

And that's a no-call by any decent ref in the league.

fraga
12-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Yeah Brent Barry and Defense really don't go together...

Phenomanul
12-02-2005, 09:18 AM

So then was Brent not supposed to chase down the rebound????

easjer
12-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Combination: Good play save by Daniels, bad choice by Barry, and horrible call by the refs.

But come on, they were fucking it up all night long. Shouldn't be shocking.

ShoogarBear
12-02-2005, 09:40 AM
So then was Brent not supposed to chase down the rebound????

No, but that's the price you pay for getting there second. If the other guy gets posession of the ball, and you then make enough contact to put him at disadvantge, that's a foul, plain and simple. Always has been, always will be.

LilMissSPURfect
12-02-2005, 10:08 AM
No, but that's the price you pay for getting there second. If the other guy gets posession of the ball, and you then make enough contact to put him at disadvantge, that's a foul, plain and simple. Always has been, always will be.

i believe it was on 2 occassions that bruce's face put no-witski at a disadvantage...yes i see your point :angel :angel :spin
foul bruce plain and simple

only if bruce was on the other end it wouldn't be plain and simple

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 10:17 AM

I disagree completely. Daniels was already at a disadvantage when he heaved a shot that was a half turn from the direction he was facing. Should have been a no call. If players could always get calls like that (which they don't) they would immediately shoot the ball anytime they got a loose ball or rebound in a crowd.

nkdlunch
12-02-2005, 10:23 AM
TinkleBerry deserves the Beno treatment

Notorious H.O.P.
12-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I disagree completely. Daniels was already at a disadvantage when he heaved a shot that was a half turn from the direction he was facing. Should have been a no call. If players could always get calls like that (which they don't) they would immediately shoot the ball anytime they got a loose ball or rebound in a crowd.

He was late to the ball and his momentum took him into Daniels. It happens. And when it does, it is a foul. The degree of difficulty of the shot doesn't factor into whether a call is made of not. Daniels may have simply meant to just save the ball but when he saw the contact coming/felt the contact, then he made the heads up play by heaving the ball toward the rim. Feels like a crappy call but it is the correct one and one I hope a Spur player will be the benefit of when we are in a similar situation.

bigbendbruisebrother
12-02-2005, 10:53 AM
:rolleyes
Not with Manu being owie prone and us only having one true small-forward you don't. The worst part about that foul was that it negated the great defensive stop he made on Daniels on the previous possession. Pop praised that play in the post-game interviews.

boutons
12-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Off-court, Brent seems really relaxed and confident Dr. Jeckyll, but on court, he becomes an uptight, tentative, nervous Mr. Hyde.

As Ferris so famously said: "(he's) so uptight (on court) that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, you'd have a diamond in two weeks".

And now Brent has had his back go out on him first time in his career and is pushed down the rotation into competing for minutes with Michael. Ouch! Brent probably didn't think his belated but definite arrival and confirmation in the Finals as the ONLY front-court rotation guy (Tony, Manu, Bruce with Brent as backup f/c) and his first ring would be followed by such a difficult situation a few months later.

Brent is pretty fast going forward mostly, but isn't very athletic in any graceful since (same with Tony and Tim), so his hustling on fast breaks, boards, at least trying to play D (his lateral slowness limits him), and chasing down loose balls compliments whatever shots he hits. I was amazed that Pop put Brent in for the those last seconds, but that says a lot about what Pop thinks about Brent.

eg, you will never see Nazr, the only Spur I feel like punching out, chasing after a defensive loose ball in the closing seconds with the game in the balance, the way Brent did last night. Nazr would be spectating, which will never win any leeway from me. In spite of the going-for-the-ball/momentum foul, I give Brent a huge, gold "E" for Effort on that last play.

strangeweather
12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
In spite of the going-for-the-ball/momentum foul, I give Brent a huge, gold "E" for Effort on that last play.

Amen.

I'd much have him trying to make the right play and getting beaten because Daniels made a great one than playing tentative and letting the Mavs have an easy play.

Bottom line: Daniels made a great play, and sometimes that's the way it goes.

coopdogg3
12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I thought Brent Barry was put in there for his FT%. Up by 4, give up the easy basket, and hit the foul shots with Finley and Barry out there. 2 good FT shooters. I kinda like Barry but he had a serious brain-fart with that foul. For supposedly having a high basketball IQ that was a bone-headed mistake. Everyone makes mistakes though, and the Spurs won. So no big deal. Just don't do that again Barry.

Lonestar
12-02-2005, 12:16 PM

Yep, Barry has been in the league too long to get busted on play like that. It could have been really bad. I just hope this doesn't contribute to what's already been a slow start for Barry.

T Park
12-02-2005, 12:20 PM
I thought Barry played pretty solid last night.

He actually TOOK shots last night and didn't become like a scared little girl when handed the ball.

We all commented at the GTG when Brent made that great defensive play on Daniels that, he would be celebrating his first defensive stop of his career after the game.

Too bad Salvatore stunk it up giving him that ridiculous foul.

DesiSpur_21
12-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Brent deserves another full-season with spurs for his heads-up play in the Finals.

He is a smart-ass.

LilMissSPURfect
12-02-2005, 12:36 PM
He was late to the ball and his momentum took him into Daniels. It happens. And when it does, it is a foul. The degree of difficulty of the shot doesn't factor into whether a call is made of not. Daniels may have simply meant to just save the ball but when he saw the contact coming/felt the contact, then he made the heads up play by heaving the ball toward the rim. Feels like a crappy call but it is the correct one and one I hope a Spur player will be the benefit of when we are in a similar situation.
Not while bennyhill salvatore is officiating; a spur 2 time MVP 3time finals MVP player did not benefit while he was being shoved under the rim outta bounds....MVPS don't get shoved they walk outta bounds intentionally to give the other team another crack at it.

Solid D
12-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Coopdog, I agree that Barry was a good choice at that point for FT shooting, but Pop needed to have a smaller lineup in against the guys who were creating for the Mavs. He needed a stop right there. Barry was put in to match with Devin Harris and keep him from getting to the basket. Brent put out the effort to make up ground after the screen and managed to stop Devin's penetration enough to cause him to settle for the jumper (fortunately no foul was called).

That stop in conjunction with Van Horn's pass to the bench the trip prior, were the key event-changers in the game.

Rescueone
12-03-2005, 11:42 AM
It was a dumb ass foul plain and simple. Brent had his arm straight out across and infront of Daniels and the other pushing him out of bounds when he threw up that hail mary shot. Barry played shitty defense all night long against Dallas. He was smoked all night long. It was a bone head play. If that shot had gone in for a possible four point play, Brent would have been in Pops dog house for half the season. On the push on Duncan. He should have YELLED time out as soon as he got the rebound or before he was pushed out of bounds. Two bad decisions by veteran players that could have cost them the game. It didn't, now the series is even and the Spurs are up two games in the standings.

bigbendbruisebrother
12-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Bump. What a difference a game makes.

T Park
12-03-2005, 11:47 PM
On the push on Duncan. He should have YELLED time out as soon as he got the rebound or before he was pushed out of bounds. Two bad decisions by veteran players that could have cost them the game. It didn't, now the series is even and the Spurs are up two games in the standings.

So,

your saying he wasn't fouled??

Mcfly?

Hello?