PDA

View Full Version : Tom Orsborn // Devin Vassell is scheduled to undergo an arthroscopic procedure on his left knee on Jan. 11

ace3g
01-05-2023, 06:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1595686880061931522/zNii9SYV_normal.jpg
Tom Orsborn Tom_orsborn
(https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn)now (https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1611137112564465665)
Devin Vassell is scheduled to undergo an arthroscopic procedure on his left knee on Jan. 11 in New York, a league source said.Spurs hope the procedure will help his chronically sore knee heal, which has forced him to miss several games, including Wednesday's loss to the NYK.

Joseph Kony
01-05-2023, 06:10 PM
Might as well get it done now and rest up for next season. Good for the tank. Hope it's nothing too serious going forward

BatManu20
01-05-2023, 06:12 PM
Never like to see chronic knee pain in a player that young. Hopefully this procedure cleans up whatever it is that’s ailing him.

KingKev
01-05-2023, 06:12 PM
They better nurse him back to the court. He showed out this year already and earned his extension. Great news for the tank.

slick'81
01-05-2023, 06:18 PM
Bbb he wasn't playing because they are tanking

lefty20
01-05-2023, 06:23 PM
Hopefully this aint another Nephew-esque chronic leg issue.

It'd be nice to see Bran take advantage of Vassell's absence.

jjspur
01-05-2023, 06:44 PM
Can the spurs apply for a disabled player exception if this lasts till the end of the season or this or does this not qualify ?

spurraider21
01-05-2023, 06:55 PM
Can the spurs apply for a disabled player exception if this lasts till the end of the season or this or does this not qualify ?
lord knows we could use the cap space this season

Mugen
01-05-2023, 06:55 PM
Shut him down and pay the kid in the summer tbh

TD 21
01-05-2023, 07:03 PM
Typical. Wouldn't be a promising, young Spur without durability issues.

Wonder if the timing of the trade and this news was to free up a roster spot for a guard, though either way I expect Bassey to eventually get promoted to a standard contract.

slick'81
01-05-2023, 07:05 PM
Hopefully a long losing streak incoming

offset formation
01-05-2023, 07:21 PM
Hopefully a long losing streak incoming

Would practically be a guarantee if we got rid of the three vets (Poeltl, Richardson, McDermott) and promoted half the starters from Austin, at this point too. Would be a pretty easy way to get that top 3 spot and a 14% shot at Wembanyama (or Scoot).

slick'81
01-05-2023, 07:25 PM
Would practically be a guarantee if we got rid of the three vets (Poeltl, Richardson, McDermott) and promoted half the starters from Austin, at this point too. Would be a pretty easy way to get that top 3 spot and a 14% shot at Wembanyama (or Scoot).

yea spurs have options to throw in the towel

daslicer
01-05-2023, 08:15 PM
This is very disturbing. Usually, guys in their 30's get their knees scoped but Devin having to do it at a young age is not a good sign. It doesn't affect the Spurs this season but going forward long term it does when it comes to considering Devin to be part of the future core of the team.

slick'81
01-05-2023, 08:17 PM
Should be a non issue after the clean up. If it continues then worry

exstatic
01-05-2023, 08:25 PM
This is very disturbing. Usually, guys in their 30's get their knees scoped but Devin having to do it at a young age is not a good sign. It doesn't affect the Spurs this season but going forward long term it does when it comes to considering Devin to be part of the future core of the team.

Timmy had it done after his 3rd season. There is no timetable or age for meniscus damage.

MultiTroll
01-05-2023, 09:02 PM
Super Fabbs had a meniscus issue in 2004 and went on to win 6 Championships.
Lot of swimming for zero impact building.

KobesAchilles
01-05-2023, 09:26 PM
The tank continues strong. Hope this is a one off though bc knee injuries are no joke

poopbox
01-05-2023, 09:47 PM
Two bright spots this whole season and he was one of them. Only tuning in for Sochan now

K...
01-05-2023, 09:55 PM

you know they have to try and sell tickets, the comish is on record wanting to crack down on that type of tank shit. and itll screw with player development which we sorely need across the board. It's not like our vets are great or our FRP's are good. Nearly any NBA talent team is going to win 25 or 30 percent of games just by getting hot and taking advantage of back to backs. Your basically paying a high price to guarantee the 14%.

offset formation
01-05-2023, 10:11 PM
you know they have to try and sell tickets, the comish is on record wanting to crack down on that type of tank shit. and itll screw with player development which we sorely need across the board. It's not like our vets are great or our FRP's are good. Nearly any NBA talent team is going to win 25 or 30 percent of games just by getting hot and taking advantage of back to backs. Your basically paying a high price to guarantee the 14%.

Yes you are paying a high price. And if Orlando gets Wembanyama after getting Banchero, their price will be worth several rings. The juice is worth the squeeze. And if not Wembanyama, perhaps your starting PG for the next decade. Throw in some good draft picks with all those we have, some player development, and 1 or 2 good free agent signings and we cod also ring multiple times.

Them that 14% will be worth every single L and list ticket today for the W and rings later.

Just my 0.02

Trill Clinton
01-05-2023, 10:19 PM
Heal up and get ready for next season, Devo.

Degoat
01-05-2023, 10:50 PM
What a bummer. Spurs luck really needs to turn. We lost our Lottery pick from two years ago because he was a perv, now we lose our lottery pick from three years ago…

offset formation
01-05-2023, 11:03 PM
What a bummer. Spurs luck really needs to turn. We lost our Lottery pick from two years ago because he was a perv, now we lose our lottery pick from three years ago…

Well at least Devin didn't also turn out to have been involved in that nonsense like Primo. Recall there was a thought by someone here he was because he was sitting out that entire time when he was supposedly day to day.

But yeah, this organization has been snakebitten af since that nephew fuck shit all over it.

Then the bad look of every single pop coaching tree member doing spectacular shit...except Brett Brown coming back to run the process on the Spurs. And Ime turning into an embarrassment. But Jacque Vaughn. Coach Hardy. Coach Bud of course.

It's almost like we've been cursed by some neph and uncle voodoo because we traded him to the great white north and he immediately rings with historically unparalleled injuries hitting the teams he faced enroute.

Makes me think we won't get Wembanyama or Scoot quite frankly. Need some PTSD counseling. Little jumpy about this whole upcoming draft. Need a voodoo doctor to go through the building and PATFO offices to do a cleansing ritual.

slick'81
01-05-2023, 11:28 PM
Well at least Devin didn't also turn out to have been involved in that nonsense like Primo. Recall there was a thought by someone here he was because he was sitting out that entire time when he was supposedly day to day.

But yeah, this organization has been snakebitten af since that nephew fuck shit all over it.

Then the bad look of every single pop coaching tree member doing spectacular shit...except Brett Brown coming back to run the process on the Spurs. And Ime turning into an embarrassment. But Jacque Vaughn. Coach Hardy. Coach Bud of course.

It's almost like we've been cursed by some neph and uncle voodoo because we traded him to the great white north and he immediately rings with historically unparalleled injuries hitting the teams he faced enroute.

Makes me think we won't get Wembanyama or Scoot quite frankly. Need some PTSD counseling. Little jumpy about this whole upcoming draft. Need a voodoo doctor to go through the building and PATFO offices to do a cleansing ritual.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/26deb6f1553771f2ff32389410e20cdd/tumblr_ninlljTDLd1qzn0kbo1_500.gif

https://images.app.goo.gl/PjjsCXvpbeid552n8

illusioNtEk
01-05-2023, 11:51 PM
Rest till next season, pay the man

John B
01-06-2023, 12:32 AM
Shut him down and get him ready for next season. Good for the tank.

The Truth #6
01-06-2023, 07:29 AM
Good for the tank I suppose but not something I’m too excited about either, being fairly young.

cd98
01-06-2023, 10:19 AM
Big fan of Vassell and definitely Spurs would win more games if he delayed the surgery. We need this to keep the tank going.

DPG21920
01-06-2023, 01:31 PM
Like Keldon the year before, Dev made a major leap this year. It’s awesome. Get him healthy and this team is looking very bright as long as Sochan does not bust completely. Vassell/Keldon/Sochan is a tremendously solid upside and young core ready to compete if you can land right pieces beside them. I am excited by what I have seen from them.

Seeing Vassell actually make the leap, like Keldon and seeing Sochans flashes (while still having Jak?)? Makes losing Primo no biggie to me…Spurs are definitely setup and have done damn well in the draft when it matters.

slick'81
01-06-2023, 01:40 PM
Losing primo is still big. You dont just punt lottery picks after a year but it is what it is

KingKev
01-06-2023, 01:47 PM
Losing primo is still big. You dont just punt lottery picks after a year but it is what it is

They punted a lottery pick the moment they drafted him lol

DPG21920
01-06-2023, 01:52 PM

I’m talking basketball wise. It was big in terms of news and questions it raises but I never saw what SA did in Primo personally. Devin / Keldon / Vassell were always way more important to teams future than Primo IMVHO

KingKev
01-06-2023, 01:57 PM
I’m talking basketball wise. It was big in terms of news and questions it raises but I never saw what SA did in Primo personally. Devin / Keldon / Vassell were always way more important to teams future than Primo IMVHO

Keldon and Devin are just as likely to be punted for future draft capital as they are to be part of our next playoff appearance. The are borderline NBA starters.

DPG21920
01-06-2023, 02:00 PM
Keldon and Devin are just as likely to be punted for future draft capital as they are to be part of our next playoff appearance. The are borderline NBA starters.

Nah. I mean, sure they may be traded but they have extremely solid value and are CLEAR starters with potential for even more.

slick'81
01-06-2023, 03:20 PM

assuming primo flops sure. Apparently he'd rather flash his junk then improve his actual game

Mr. Body
01-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I think their future -- Vassell and KJ -- are as likely to be anywhere else but the Spurs. I'd be very surprised to see more than a couple of players currently on the team still on the team in three or four years.

KingKev
01-06-2023, 03:47 PM
Nah. I mean, sure they may be traded but they have extremely solid value and are CLEAR starters with potential for even more.

They have trade value but are only clear starters on bad teams. Even than could easily be beat out. Easily replceable.

ace3g
01-06-2023, 06:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/971852605390336000/uA0TeMUO_normal.jpg
Jeff McDonald @JMcDonald_SAEN
(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)9m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1611503447395663874)
The Spurs' release yesterday did not give a timetable for Devin Vassell's return from knee surgery. Clarified today the team does expect him to return at some point this season. "I'm thinking maybe a little after All-Star break," Pop says.

John B
01-06-2023, 06:36 PM
(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)9m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1611503447395663874)
The Spurs' release yesterday did not give a timetable for Devin Vassell's return from knee surgery. Clarified today the team does expect him to return at some point this season. "I'm thinking maybe a little after All-Star break," Pop says.

That’s good news as on the nature of the injury. But I rather they shut him down and help with the tank.

slick'81
01-06-2023, 06:55 PM
That’s good news as on the nature of the injury. But I rather they shut him down and help with the tank.

they wont shut him down. With our luck theyll beat detroit too

scott
01-06-2023, 07:25 PM
I'm more pessimistic on the KJ/Devin/Sochan core. It's a group still in need of a leader. I posted this in another thread, but to me it really isn't that more exciting than the 1988-89 young core of Alvin Robertson, Willie Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, and Greg Anderson.

Of course in 1988-89, you knew you had David Robinson arriving the following year and you knew you'd have another high pick as well (which they used on Sean Elliott, then wisely moved some of the "young core" for a solid vet in Terry Cummings to have a contending lineup in DRob/Sean's rookie year).

Maybe Devin or Sochan emerges as that alpha, but I'm not seeing it yet.

KingKev
01-06-2023, 07:35 PM
I'm more pessimistic on the KJ/Devin/Sochan core. It's a group still in need of a leader. I posted this in another thread, but to me it really isn't that more exciting than the 1988-89 young core of Alvin Robertson, Willie Anderson, Johnny Dawkins, and Greg Anderson.

Of course in 1988-89, you knew you had David Robinson arriving the following year and you knew you'd have another high pick as well (which they used on Sean Elliott, then wisely moved some of the "young core" for a solid vet in Terry Cummings to have a contending lineup in DRob/Sean's rookie year).

Maybe Devin or Sochan emerges as that alpha, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Seriously. Sochan is the only one who possess long term starter potential due to his versatility and he has a far ways to go. Guys like KJ and DV are a dime a dozen in today’s NBA.

poopbox
01-06-2023, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I think their future -- Vassell and KJ -- are as likely to be anywhere else but the Spurs. I'd be very surprised to see more than a couple of players currently on the team still on the team in three or four years.

If you just look at teams that tank, history says that the players you start tanking with are rarely on your team when you start to actually be good.

Between Keldon and Devin I'd be surprised if both are still on this team 3 years from now. I'd leaned more toward the Spurs keeping Devin since he is a more complete player than Keldon is. If the spurs get a nice offer for Keldon he is going to be out of here on some "he to good to be on a tanking team" like they dude with Dejounte.

ace3g
02-10-2023, 11:31 AM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1624083233502527493

ace3g
02-23-2023, 08:13 PM
(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)53m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1628912519128440837)
Pop says there is a loose target date for Devin Vassell to return from knee surgery: March 2 at home against Indiana, the Spurs' first game back from the Rodeo Road Trip.

John B
02-23-2023, 08:17 PM
(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)53m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1628912519128440837)
Pop says there is a loose target date for Devin Vassell to return from knee surgery: March 2 at home against Indiana, the Spurs' first game back from the Rodeo Road Trip.

With heavyyy minutes restrictions until the end of the season :lol

mookie2001
02-23-2023, 09:10 PM
Devins career seems to be circling the drain right now. Red alerts everywhere with this knee.

exstatic
02-23-2023, 10:05 PM
Devins career seems to be circling the drain right now. Red alerts everywhere with this knee.

Pop is holding otherwise healthy players out with magical injuries, and extending recovery times to aid the tank. Devin probably could have played on the RRT. He will be just fine.

Thomas82
02-23-2023, 11:28 PM
Keep him out!!

John B
02-23-2023, 11:31 PM
Pop is holding otherwise healthy players out with magical injuries, and extending recovery times to aid the tank. Devin probably could have played on the RRT. He will be just fine.

Agree. Devin’s injury help the tank cause and Pop’s milking it

KingKev
02-24-2023, 06:16 AM
Don’t see the return of Vassell really impacting winning much. Just means less minutes for Branham.

I could really see Branham pushing Vassell out of the starting lineup next year.

exstatic
02-24-2023, 07:18 AM
Don’t see the return of Vassell really impacting winning much. Just means less minutes for Branham.

I could really see Branham pushing Vassell out of the starting lineup next year.

Not if they want to win. I’ve been big on Malaki as long as anyone, but his defense stinks. His best fit is off the bench microwave scorer.

cd98
02-24-2023, 11:41 AM
Losing Jakob was a big step in us improving out lottery odds. Our defense is now truly abysmal. If a game is close, Vassel could ruin it by making buckets in the clutch. Better to not take that chance. He’s shown he’s got game and he is not the tanking type. He needs to be on the IR the rest of the way. Sochan, however, should still play. He is raw enough to make mistakes that lose games while still developing into his upside. Just unleash all the rookies.

KingKev
02-24-2023, 11:52 AM
Not if they want to win. I’ve been big on Malaki as long as anyone, but his defense stinks. His best fit is off the bench microwave scorer.

I agree other than that we aren’t going to be competitive anytime soon, even with Wemby. Year 3 and Vassell is yet to become an impactful defender. If Branham keeps this offensive trajectory and Vassell doesn’t up his D Branham will replace him quickly I feel.

The trio of Keldon, Vassell and Branham isn’t going to be playable on a winning team.

KingKev
02-24-2023, 11:55 AM
Losing Jakob was a big step in us improving out lottery odds. Our defense is now truly abysmal. If a game is close, Vassel could ruin it by making buckets in the clutch. Better to not take that chance. He’s shown he’s got game and he is not the tanking type. He needs to be on the IR the rest of the way. Sochan, however, should still play. He is raw enough to make mistakes that lose games while still developing into his upside. Just unleash all the rookies.

He’ll be on minutes restriction but won’t be shelved. He is playing for a contract remember as he is extension eligible this off-season. We are firmly in the bottom 4. No need to shelve him.

John B
02-24-2023, 12:06 PM
He’ll be on minutes restriction but won’t be shelved. He is playing for a contract remember as he is extension eligible this off-season. We are firmly in the bottom 4. No need to shelve him.

I doubt Vassell has to play more minutes to convince PATFO to offer him. Vassell is no longer playing for contract. And it is the best interest of the Spurs, tank wise, to shelve Vassell.

KingKev
02-24-2023, 12:11 PM
I doubt Vassell has to play more minutes to convince PATFO to offer him. Vassell is no longer playing for contract. And it is the best interest of the Spurs, tank wise, to shelve Vassell.

He’s getting an offer but I’m sure he wants to maximize that with his play. Instead Branham is showing how replaceable Vassell really is which means they may nit be inclined to offer as much.

Vince Carter's ankle
02-24-2023, 01:09 PM
Is he worse than Devin Booker at the same age?

cd98
02-24-2023, 01:50 PM
He’s getting an offer but I’m sure he wants to maximize that with his play. Instead Branham is showing how replaceable Vassell really is which means they may nit be inclined to offer as much.

I have to disagree. Vassel is a good defender that is a good three point shooter. He is adding playmaking to his skill set. Branham is a good scorer, but he is not near as good a defender as Vassell. They are not playing the same position in the NBA. Vassell is getting a max contract on his rookie deal. What have we seen from his play that warrants anything else? And the Spurs have plenty of room to sign him. We won't be a playoff team after next year, even if we get the top pick. This team will take a lot of time to improve. David Robinson and Tim Duncan were not 19 year olds coming into the league. They were full grown men and so they could help create these huge turnaround on wins after a losing season. This team will be in the lottery for at least another year or two, but that is on Vassell's timeline. The only person that possibly is not on that timeline is Keldon, but even still I think he can be a good player on a championship team, just not top 3. But Vassell can be a top 3 player on a championship team, just not a top 1.

buttsR4rebounding
02-24-2023, 01:55 PM

At this point there is no way even with the higher salary cap that Devin has earned a contract as big as Keldon's. I think he needs to show that he can be more consistent on both ends of the floor. He's a starter on the Spurs, but I doubt any contenders would consider him more than a 2nd or 3rd man off the bench.

Vince Carter's ankle
02-24-2023, 02:19 PM
At this point there is no way even with the higher salary cap that Devin has earned a contract as big as Keldon's. I think he needs to show that he can be more consistent on both ends of the floor. He's a starter on the Spurs, but I doubt any contenders would consider him more than a 2nd or 3rd man off the bench.
Devin is better than Grayson Allen, Pat Connaughton, Reggie Bullock, Josh Green, De'Anthony Melton, Tobias Harris, Terance Mann, Marcus Morris, Dillon Brooks and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

John B
02-24-2023, 02:31 PM

Vassell is a more complete player than Keldon. Don't let Spurs bad defense fool you. Spurs are tanking and could play so much better. When I see Pop bursting his jugular, then I'd say they are trying to win, but nah. And Vassell don't need to play any more minutes to prove anything. Devin has shown enough to get that contract.

KingKev
02-24-2023, 02:58 PM
I have to disagree. Vassel is a good defender that is a good three point shooter. He is adding playmaking to his skill set. Branham is a good scorer, but he is not near as good a defender as Vassell. They are not playing the same position in the NBA. Vassell is getting a max contract on his rookie deal. What have we seen from his play that warrants anything else? And the Spurs have plenty of room to sign him. We won't be a playoff team after next year, even if we get the top pick. This team will take a lot of time to improve. David Robinson and Tim Duncan were not 19 year olds coming into the league. They were full grown men and so they could help create these huge turnaround on wins after a losing season. This team will be in the lottery for at least another year or two, but that is on Vassell's timeline. The only person that possibly is not on that timeline is Keldon, but even still I think he can be a good player on a championship team, just not top 3. But Vassell can be a top 3 player on a championship team, just not a top 1.

Vassell was touted as being an elite help defender out of college. He has not shown this to date. Additionally, he is a subpar on ball defender.

His rookie max is 25% of the salary cap I believe. Assuming 133mm cap this summer that puts him in line for 33mm/yr. He won’t sniff near a rookie max extension. He deserves more than Keldon as he has shown to be a more consistent shooter. I bet they start at 4yrs/80mm and see where the chips fall. At 4 yrs/90-100m I bid him adieu.

Kevin
02-24-2023, 03:20 PM
I cant remember any recent Spur's rookies scoring like Branham has the past month and that includes Murray and White. Most of those guys didn't show this type of scoring ability until their third or fourth years. Exciting stuff. Too bad his defense is awful and he has size limitations.

The Truth #6
02-24-2023, 06:11 PM
It really is shocking to see Malaki score so effortlessly and then look so helpless and childlike on defense. He’s trying harder but not sure it’s making a difference.

I don’t Malaki will ever be average on defense but Devin has at least potential for improving on D though little actual realistic reason he will want to given our tanking and lack of accountability.

For all these reasons I see Jeremy as our best prospect.

Dejounte
02-24-2023, 06:22 PM
Amazing how much people are exaggerating how bad Malaki is performing on defense. It’s not McDermott bad. It’s not Patty Mills bad. Just because it isn’t good, doesnt make it bad. He might be slightly below average, but he’s not bad. And then people say Vassell’s defense (at least this season) is good? I’m convinced people are still going by college scouting reports when they make analysis like this.

Dejounte
02-24-2023, 06:27 PM
“Bad” to me would be being bullied by a more physical player on offense, blown assignments, ball watching, overhelping, repeatedly makes dumb fouls or bites on pump fakes — a pattern I’m seeing from Wesley. So if there’s anyone who has been “bad”, it’s Wesley.

Dejounte
02-24-2023, 06:30 PM
And I’m not condemning Wesley either. That’s the point of these player assessments. Nothing is black and white. Players see growth. These are critiques for the present time.

With that said, like I said when we drafted Malaki: I believe his offensive upside is higher than Vassell’s. He’s much more fluid and plays within the flow of the offense.

mo7888
02-24-2023, 06:38 PM
Amazing how much people are exaggerating how bad Malaki is performing on defense. It’s not McDermott bad. It’s not Patty Mills bad. Just because it isn’t good, doesnt make it bad. He might be slightly below average, but he’s not bad. And then people say Vassell’s defense (at least this season) is good? I’m convinced people are still going by college scouting reports when they make analysis like this.

People also aren't taking in consideration that Malaki is a rookie that's been focusing on his confidence on the offensive end. I think people judge him a little harsher, like he's older than he is, because he has a mature OG game. He's got time to work of his D this summer.

spurraider21
02-24-2023, 06:45 PM
branham's D is pretty bad lol. he just doesnt look athletic enough to stay in front of people. he does have 6'10 wingspan, and given that he's just 19, he CAN get stronger, and that could be the basis of his defense. but he's going to have to lean on those traits because he just doesnt look comfortable with change of direction on defense, something that White was always amazing at. on top of that, he's not adept at rotating, has poor positioning all the time, etc. a lot of work to be done there

The Truth #6
02-24-2023, 06:53 PM
Defending Malaki’s poor defense is the hill you want to die on? It’s not like I dislike him as a player, in fact, he’s my second favorite player on the team after Jeremy. But I’m not gonna act like he’s great at defense or even average. I know defense is hard to quantify from what I’ve been told, but just looking at some of the individual defensive rankings he is ranked worse than McDermott, but better than Keldon.

Dejounte
02-24-2023, 07:03 PM
Making one reply about this subject (i divided it into three for convenience typing on my phone) is not me dying on a hill. Second, I explicitly said his defense was below average and nowhere in my post did I set an expectation of others to “act like he’s great on defense or even average”. Taking metrics on a player who has not consistently been a starter all year, let alone getting the same amount of minutes he is now is called taking bad data.

The Truth #6
02-24-2023, 07:41 PM
Ok. Fair enough. But you seem to be adamantly arguing a mild point then.

JPB
02-24-2023, 08:09 PM
He's a rookie playing in a tanking team not even trying on defense with a coach who couldn't care less.

I believe from the moment the tank was acted, spurs staff decided to focuse on rooks confidence and OG, barely focusing on defense. I'll wait next year in a team maybe a bit more more competitive and a staff really emphazising on defense to judge the kid.

stephen jackson
02-24-2023, 08:17 PM
Keldon is the odd man out Devin at 3 and malaki at 2 trade Keldon for a pg if we get wemby or for a center if we get scoot

exstatic
02-24-2023, 10:02 PM

Doug’s net rating this year is -11. Malaki’s is -17. Devin’s is -8.

KingKev
02-25-2023, 08:25 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10066768-hawks-rumors-saddiq-bey-seeking-deandre-hunter-type-contract-in-free-agency

Bey seeking 4yr/90mm. That would be an over pay but he would be a loose comp for Vassell I feel.

rankingtear
02-26-2023, 08:42 AM

Can't see it, maybe Branham starts if we don't get Scoot. Vassell and Sochan are mainstays in the SL moving forward. They are just in a different tier than the next guys on the roster.

Ariel
02-26-2023, 09:37 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10066768-hawks-rumors-saddiq-bey-seeking-deandre-hunter-type-contract-in-free-agency

Bey seeking 4yr/90mm. That would be an over pay but he would be a loose comp for Vassell I feel.
Saddiq Bey is delusional if he thinks he can get that. He's shooting poorly and his defense has been subpar, he lost his place in Detroit's rotation and they dumped him for Wiseman. His actual pricetag based on production should be at a 30% - 50% discount from his asking price, if he doesn't want to become the next Schroeder. Unless he improves substantially in what's left of the season, he'll either have to settle for less, or (more likely), bet on himself and sign a short term contract (say 3 years 42M, the last one a player option).
Devin, however, could definitely command that, an 80M-90M contract would be a reasonable price given his production, projection, and the way the league is going. If the Spurs can put together a front loaded contract without player options, like they did with Keldon, it's going to become a very attractive asset down the road.

John B
02-26-2023, 09:45 AM
Can't see it, maybe Branham starts if we don't get Scoot. Vassell and Sochan are mainstays in the SL moving forward. They are just in a different tier than the next guys on the roster.

Branham is doing everything to take that starting PG position from Tre. Unlike Tre, Branham can pick and pop and just opens the lane more for the bigs to roll. He is getting better every game at ballhandling and making better decisions. Tre is the better defender, but I expect Branham to work on that harder.

KingKev
02-26-2023, 09:45 AM
Saddiq Bey is delusional if he thinks he can get that. He's shooting poorly and his defense has been subpar, he lost his place in Detroit's rotation and they dumped him for Wiseman. His actual pricetag based on production should be at a 30% - 50% discount from his asking price, if he doesn't want to become the next Schroeder. Unless he improves substantially in what's left of the season, he'll either have to settle for less, or (more likely), bet on himself and sign a short term contract (say 3 years 42M, the last one a player option).
Devin, however, could definitely command that, an 80M-90M contract would be a reasonable price given his production, projection, and the way the league is going. If the Spurs can put together a front loaded contract without player options, like they did with Keldon, it's going to become a very attractive asset down the road.

Agreed. Front loading will be key if we are in the 85-90mm range. I’d really like to see him elevate his impact on the defensive end if the floor to be a long term peice. Otherwise I still see him as very replaceable.

TD 21
02-26-2023, 11:25 AM
Vassell returning is important because it'll give them a greater sample size to determine what to offer him.

Either way, long term I wouldn't concern myself with the subpar wing defense of Johnson, Vassell, Branham, who starts, etc.

Right now, this is about collecting assets. Later on, all that can be sorted out.

KingKev
02-26-2023, 12:03 PM
Vassell returning is important because it'll give them a greater sample size to determine what to offer him.

Either way, long term I wouldn't concern myself with the subpar wing defense of Johnson, Vassell, Branham, who starts, etc.

Right now, this is about collecting assets. Later on, all that can be sorted out.

Agreed train em up and ship em out unless they really show something. Continue to get these guys on team friendly deals and sell high when the time comes.

Both Vassell and PATFO are inclined to see what Vassell can do to close out the season ahead of his contract negotiations.

Wr basically have a bottom 3 position locked which is what we all hoped for. Vassell is unlikely to change that.

TD 21
02-26-2023, 04:53 PM
The most likely scenario probably sees Johnson traded within' 18 months while Vassell and Branham become relatively long term fixtures as a quality starter and sixth man respectively, but obviously the next few drafts will play a significant role in that.

The more players, however flawed/ill fitting they may be, who can become starter or high end reserve caliber on entry level contracts or team friendly extensions, the more optionality they have going forward to manipulate the draft board and eventually to potentially trade for a star or elite role player at a position of need.

tbdog
02-26-2023, 05:24 PM
I don't trust Johnson in a playoff series. I just think he'll get scouted to hell on both ends.

couchman
02-27-2023, 01:13 PM
I don't see Vassell as a star player, but as long as he is healthy he can easily be the #2 or #3 scoring option on a good team.

Atl Spur
02-27-2023, 03:14 PM
Devin is solid on the court. Have to be specific on spurstalk or some dumb ass will start screaming you were wrong in your assessment of him as a player��#clownstuff. Hopefully he keeps his nose clean off the court.

Atl Spur
02-27-2023, 03:15 PM
Dude is a legit three level scorer ( needs to tighten his handle though )

Rocalcio
02-28-2023, 08:54 AM

He’ll be better than Johnson as soon as he comes back

rjv
02-28-2023, 11:53 AM
so, does anyone know what the status of vassell actually is?

Leetonidas
02-28-2023, 11:54 AM
so, does anyone know what the status of vassell actually is?

Should return soon

cd98
02-28-2023, 01:04 PM
Take it easy Vassel. Let us clinch the lottery position first.

rascal
02-28-2023, 01:14 PM
A loose target date means depending how the tank is looking will determine when he comes back.

buttsR4rebounding
02-28-2023, 01:22 PM
A loose target date means depending how the tank is looking will determine when he comes back.

You're multilingual just like Pop. English and Tankanese.

spurraider21
02-28-2023, 01:41 PM
Take it easy Vassel. Let us clinch the lottery position first.
we're pretty much locked in. securing top 3 is all that really matters, and charlotte in 4th has a 6 win lead over us. lamelo did good for us by going on that 5 game win streak before his ankle gave out. hopefully he comes back strong next year and that first round pick conveys too

emanueldavidginobili
03-02-2023, 01:27 PM
Pop just said he's available tonight, along with Tre. Keldon is out though with a foot sprain.

exstatic
03-02-2023, 03:46 PM
Pop just said he's available tonight, along with Tre. Keldon is out though with a foot sprain.

Yeah, Keldon being out doesn’t surprise me. He twisted it in the 4th, and frankly, I was surprised that Pop let him continue.

KingKev
03-02-2023, 04:02 PM
Damn Keldon is low key a tank commander but this is probably good as more chucks for Graham

jjspur
03-02-2023, 04:11 PM
One injured player goes out another player that was injured comes in. That's this whole season in a nutshell.
Actually saw Keldon sprain his foot and limp around a bit, so I know its not just load management by pop. So long as it wasn't serious and it helps us get a top 3 pick.

duncan2150
03-02-2023, 04:12 PM
Damn Keldon is low key a tank commander but this is probably good as more chucks for Graham

Keldon was pretty good over the last games with good % overall so it's a good thing.

wildbill2u
03-02-2023, 04:36 PM
Not much of a Keldon fan TBH, but he showed some serious heart by staying in the game and without his closing shots in the 4th we don't win the game because the rest of the team couldn't score down the stretch.

TD 21
03-15-2023, 03:48 PM

Small sample size, in and out and yet to catch a rhythm, but it's looking more and more like his first I believe 27 games were at least somewhat of a fluke.

If his true self is somewhere between that and the bad DeRozan (minus the high free throw rate) impersonation we've seen since, he's probably looking at an offer slightly above Johnson's.

exstatic
03-15-2023, 04:44 PM
Small sample size, in and out and yet to catch a rhythm, but it's looking more and more like his first I believe 27 games were at least somewhat of a fluke.

If his true self is somewhere between that and the bad DeRozan (minus the high free throw rate) impersonation we've seen since, he's probably looking at an offer slightly above Johnson's.

If anything is the fluke, it's the smaller sample size since his return. Spurs players almost always break out in year three, and this is year three for Vassell.