01-06-2023, 03:38 PM
Haha somone pls post the Abe Simpson gif

lefty
01-06-2023, 03:39 PM
Haha somone pls post the Abe Simpson gif
https://media.tenor.com/jYZmxGqvQKsAAAAM/old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

KingKev
01-06-2023, 03:46 PM
He needs to fking go. I miss 90’s basketball also Coach Pop. 12mm a year for this.

He is Tony D’Amato sans Willie Beamen.

rjv
01-06-2023, 03:57 PM
ironic post

heyheymymy
01-06-2023, 04:41 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/024/574/Screen_Shot_2017-11-06_at_12.41.31_PM.png

you know he's right. I'm sick of watching soft bodies jack 3s off screens all game. I'm sick of watching a 2-3 possession game blow up to a 16 point lead in the blink of an eye.

lol he needs to go but I miss 90s ball too lol ins't that basically what pop is saying here? 90s ball was when 3s were just another aspect of the game not the whole strategy taking over the game.

lol he's not wrong and I agree with him but he still needs to go

:cry

slick'81
01-06-2023, 04:46 PM
The old man wants to go back to '99 ball....leave him alone

Atl Spur
01-06-2023, 05:24 PM
Just be thankful you had him……..everyone has an expiration date!

The Truth #6
01-06-2023, 05:44 PM
Lots of factors for how the game has gotten off track, but I think most of it is due to refereeing priorities, which is 100% related to the league office and how they’re trying to force the game in different directions. NBA players get exposed in international ball when they have to play with actual referees who don’t give a shit about their star system. Yes, players are faster and more skilled than ever (though oblivious to team play) and the court feels smaller, but by forcing the game into flopping and perimeter touch fouls, we get this. In my opinion. Curious how others see it.

ambchang
01-06-2023, 10:01 PM
Millennials snowflaking again :lol

lefty
01-07-2023, 01:21 AM
Millennials snowflaking again :lol
:lol old heads triggered, can’t accept they’re getting older and nostalgia has become their cure

lefty
01-07-2023, 01:26 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/024/574/Screen_Shot_2017-11-06_at_12.41.31_PM.png

you know he's right. I'm sick of watching soft bodies jack 3s off screens all game. I'm sick of watching a 2-3 possession game blow up to a 16 point lead in the blink of an eye.

lol he needs to go but I miss 90s ball too lol ins't that basically what pop is saying here? 90s ball was when 3s were just another aspect of the game not the whole strategy taking over the game.

lol he's not wrong and I agree with him but he still needs to go

:cry

Nobody misses the 90/ iso and ugly 2 point chucking tbh :lol
or the shitty overrated defense from traffic cones like Majerle or roster spots given to grocery baggers like John Starks (an actual grocery bagger) thanks to the NBA expansion food stamps :lol

John B
01-07-2023, 07:34 AM
Offensive highlights sell tickets, sell video games, jersy’s. That’s NBA. I hate Doncic, but he’s right. It is so much easier to score in the NBA than in Euroleague. And come international games, expect USA team to lose without a KD to bail them out. Who’s next? Ja? He’s gonna get clobbered if he tries without the defensive 3 to help clear the lane from big men. That is what Pop is saying. NBA basketball is becoming video games.

Harry Callahan
01-07-2023, 09:15 AM
At least its a take related to his vocation.

KingKev
01-07-2023, 09:57 AM
At least its a take related to his vocation.

haha you just started ST’s next hottest thread!!!

BackHome
01-07-2023, 11:12 AM
I have hated on all the rule changes and the 3 ball was just icing on the cake - To me its just like watching a much better WNBA product. Lets go back were big men were relevant and the crowds would go crazy on the dunks the game is so soft let them play defense and stop with all these ticky tack fouls

lefty
01-07-2023, 12:58 PM
I have hated on all the rule changes and the 3 ball was just icing on the cake - To me its just like watching a much better WNBA product. Lets go back were big men were relevant and the crowds would go crazy on the dunks the game is so soft let them play defense and stop with all these ticky tack fouls

game wasn’t really tough back then, there are still exciting dunks today

John B
01-07-2023, 01:04 PM
game wasn’t really tough back then, there are still exciting dunks today

More dunks today by little men because of big men late to recover due to defensive 3. That’s why Starks’ dunking on Horace Grant/MJ, or Kevin on The Dream were memorable because they were rare.

BacktoBasics
01-07-2023, 01:08 PM
Offensive highlights sell tickets, sell video games, jersy’s. That’s NBA. I hate Doncic, but he’s right. It is so much easier to score in the NBA than in Euroleague. And come international games, expect USA team to lose without a KD to bail them out. Who’s next? Ja? He’s gonna get clobbered if he tries without the defensive 3 to help clear the lane from big men. That is what Pop is saying. NBA basketball is becoming video games.

The league is obsessed with money not basketball. Defense is part of basketball DNA but it doesn’t pad the bottom line.

I wish there was enough integrity to protect the game but that’s just not the world we live in.

A compromise would have been nice but we live in a timeline where no one compromises when it comes to money.

John B
01-07-2023, 01:19 PM
The league is obsessed with money not basketball. Defense is part of basketball DNA but it doesn’t pad the bottom line.

I wish there was enough integrity to protect the game but that’s just not the world we live in.

A compromise would have been nice but we live in a timeline where no one compromises when it comes to money.

Money talks and regretably affects the game itself, making it more video game-like. It’s like highlight reels after another, more because of less defense.

Spurs were notoriously boring during Spurs twin tower, and that Finals arguably had the worst TV ratings. That’s what it is in a nutshell. Back then Spurs averaged in the 80’s, now 110?

lefty
01-07-2023, 01:29 PM
More dunks today by little men because of big men late to recover due to defensive 3. That’s why Starks’ dunking on Horace Grant/MJ, or Kevin on The Dream were memorable because they were rare.

they were rare because the talent pool from top to bottom wasn’t great

lefty
01-07-2023, 01:30 PM
Money talks and regretably affects the game itself, making it more video game-like. It’s like highlight reels after another, more because of less defense.

Spurs were notoriously boring during Spurs twin tower, and that Finals arguably had the worst TV ratings. That’s what it is in a nutshell. Back then Spurs averaged in the 80’s, now 110?
so the 1980s NBA was cideo game like too

John B
01-07-2023, 01:33 PM

Now that’s another thread :lol

But so you believe it’s not because of less defense now? Bruh I like for Ja to try and dunk on the Bad Boys :lol

ambchang
01-07-2023, 04:33 PM
:lol old heads triggered, can’t accept they’re getting older and nostalgia has become their cure
:lol passing up wide open layups for threes

TDMVPDPOY
01-07-2023, 07:09 PM
back in ths 90s everyone wanted to be like DK, ball hog and not pass the ball

now everyone wanna be like curry, chuck up 3s...

remove the 3pt line, u still have chumps chucking up from long distance

remember back then there was no green light to chuck 3s cause they were considered low % shots, even the efficient/sharp shooters never got the green light to chuck like that

lefty
01-07-2023, 08:48 PM
:lol passing up wide open layups for threes

Well duh, because they can actually shoot 3s today and 3>2
:lol they couldn’t shoot 3s like that in the 9:lols

ismael-robert
01-07-2023, 09:01 PM
Make dunks worth 3 pts and teams will work harder on ball movement to open up lanes and penetrate...strategy and breaking down defenses will return

ambchang
01-07-2023, 09:14 PM
Well duh, because they can actually shoot 3s today and 3>2
:lol they couldn’t shoot 3s like that in the 9:lols

Petrovich could and did. Only difference is that he wouldn’t give up a wide open layup for a three.

:lol all nba, three time all star and RoY passing up a layup in an important playoff game, got mentally wreck and coilfjt play for more than a year because of it. :lol todays nba.

bdictjames
01-08-2023, 08:34 PM
I think making the shot clock 14 seconds after that offensive rebound, speeds the game up and hastens the demise into the three-point shooting era. If we can revert it to 24 seconds, perhaps more teams would do sets, also, it would be nice to see post-moves every now and then. There's a reason I enjoy watching players like Luka, Sabonis, and even occasionally LeBron as they employ that post move every now and then. It is such an art, and I hope we don't lose it to stats and analytics.

Brazil
01-09-2023, 06:31 AM

:lol acting like you are not an old fart... you are not 20 y/o anymore bruh

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-09-2023, 10:48 AM
My issue with today’s NBA is that it’s become very one-dimensional. You used to have teams that would run, teams that would grind in sets, teams that played outside-in, and those that liked run through the post inside out. Now everyone plays the same. The same body type and skill set defines a prototypical NBA player. 30 teams playing the exact same way. It’s really making the league boring and predictable. Anyone who likes the strategic side of the game can’t really enjoy watching the product out there now.

lefty
01-09-2023, 10:58 AM
:lol acting like you are not an old fart... you are not 20 y/o anymore bruh

I’m 12

lefty
01-09-2023, 10:59 AM
I think making the shot clock 14 seconds after that offensive rebound, speeds the game up and hastens the demise into the three-point shooting era. If we can revert it to 24 seconds, perhaps more teams would do sets, also, it would be nice to see post-moves every now and then. There's a reason I enjoy watching players like Luka, Sabonis, and even occasionally LeBron as they employ that post move every now and then. It is such an art, and I hope we don't lose it to stats and analytics.

Good point, the 14 second reset also has an impact

lefty
01-09-2023, 11:01 AM
My issue with today’s NBA is that it’s become very one-dimensional. You used to have teams that would run, teams that would grind in sets, teams that played outside-in, and those that liked run through the post inside out. Now everyone plays the same. The same body type and skill set defines a prototypical NBA player. 30 teams playing the exact same way. It’s really making the league boring and predictable. Anyone who likes the strategic side of the game can’t really enjoy watching the product out there now.

That’s actually a good point, teams had their own identities/styles of play.
Position-less basketball has been a big shift.

Although the Suns haven’t lost their identity which is losing in the Finals lol.

Rivalries is also something the 80s/90s/2000s had over today imo.
Even when rivals met during the regular season there was a buzz around the game.

ambchang
01-09-2023, 11:24 AM
I’m 12

Watch out for Karl Malone.

lefty
01-09-2023, 11:48 AM
Watch out for Karl Malone.
you pervert!

ambchang
01-09-2023, 03:35 PM
you pervert!

Me? I was trying to warn you.

KingKev
01-09-2023, 04:25 PM
Isn’t 12 legal in Utah?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-09-2023, 05:12 PM
good thing i'm 11

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-09-2023, 05:27 PM
Pop loved the beautiful game when we were running through the playoffs with it.

Too bad he forgot how to find players for that system and went back to big man ball while the rest of the league adapted.

slick'81
01-09-2023, 05:31 PM

Too bad he forgot how to find players for that system and went back to big man ball while the rest of the league adapted.

F'nephew, tbh

scott
01-09-2023, 06:10 PM
Make a 19-ft jumper worth 4 points. Bubble Spurs are NBA champs, DeMar DeRozan is a multiple times over MVP, we're still all honking downtown.

boutons_deux
01-10-2023, 05:41 PM
He needs to fking go. I miss 90’s basketball also Coach Pop. 12mm a year for this.

He is Tony D’Amato sans Willie Beamen.

Last I heard, it was $6M, highest in NBA

KingKev
01-10-2023, 05:46 PM
His last deal was 5yr/60mm

To put that in to perspective DJ was 4yrs/64mm. McBooger was 3yr/48mm.

exstatic
01-11-2023, 10:02 AM
His last deal was 5yr/60mm

To put that in to perspective DJ was 4yrs/64mm. McBooger was 3yr/48mm.

McDermott is 3yrs/$41M, not $48M

FuzzyLumpkins
01-11-2023, 04:47 PM

He complained about it then too. He constantly stated he was being pragmatic but preferred it go away.

SpursforSix
01-11-2023, 05:01 PM
good thing i'm 11

Avante has joined the thread.

bdictjames
01-17-2023, 03:43 AM
That's actually a great point. Everyone is versatile and "can play multiple positions". I agree, it is quite harder to watch when you see chucking in the name of analytics. I miss the 2000s. Each team had their own style, and wow, was it fun to watch them against each other.

Dirks_Finale
01-17-2023, 08:00 AM
I mean he's not wrong.

This era is weird and sort of boring, with 6'4 centers everyone shooting threes and every time a guy trips over his own shoe laces, they have to review the footage and call some sort of flagrant :lol

I think they should move the 3 point line back about 5 feet so all this one dimensional crap is minimized.

ambchang
01-17-2023, 08:06 AM
The funnest time in basketball for me was probably late 00s to early 10s.

Good balance of offence and defence. Low post scoring mixed up with some three point shooting. Varied offensive types (Mavs, suns, spurs,cavs, jazz, nuggets, Celtics, Miami, lakers all had some level of success but play very different styles), some level of competition from smaller markets.

80s was insanely stop heavy, no defence (until the bad boys started sacking the living lights out of everyone).
90s was just the bulls. The superstar calls to Jordan was literally unwatchable. Bunch of iso and bully ball.
Early 00s is similar, pistons spurs and lakers, overly physical. A touch light on offence. Little parity.

rjv
01-17-2023, 11:37 AM
all sports evolve and trend towards whatever sells tickets. at the moment, the splash brothers brand of ball is the flavor of the day. some teams play it well and others do not. for coaches about pop, i don't think it's necessarily a problem with the three point shot in of itself as much as it is the trend towards jacking up threes at the expense of a better pass or ball movement. there's a big difference between watching a team like the warriors and the rockets.

james evans
01-21-2023, 11:12 AM
that is bullshit. More people played basketball and it was harder to actually get in the league decades ago. It's 30 teams now. The saem applies to high school basketball. In my area, there would be 12 jerseys for a team and about 8 of them were already reserved for the previous year's team(the football players). That meant the remaining 45-50 players in practice were competing for 4 jereys hahaha. Today, they have trouble getting people to try out for the team.There were so many people that wanted to play ball that the 9th grade team had about 20 members along with the JV squad having about 16 and the top on varsity. They don't even have 9th grade teams anymore and some schools don't have enough players to fill out a JV squad. So back then, we all played ball. I can't even ride thru the city and find one game being played outside on any court .