PDA

View Full Version : Article: Answering 5 Questions About the Spurs Trade with the Celtics

timvp
01-06-2023, 04:27 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/questions-answered-spurs-celtics-trade/

Mr. Body
01-06-2023, 04:36 PM
Just elevate Bassey to full squad. He was playing well before they jammed him back into a box. The team is awful, might as well get him some time.

Seventyniner
01-06-2023, 04:41 PM
Would hiring Dieng as a consultant or some such, to preserve some of his leadership among the players, violate the salary cap? Would that depend on whether or not he retires?

exstatic
01-06-2023, 04:44 PM
Just elevate Bassey to full squad. He was playing well before they jammed him back into a box. The team is awful, might as well get him some time.

They can do that literally any time after the trade deadline. They need to keep the spot open.

slick'81
01-06-2023, 04:45 PM
Yea i dont see dieng coming in as anything in the fo this season

The Truth #6
01-06-2023, 06:05 PM
I would’ve rather waived KBD, though logically Keita is more useful. I like Dieng, I guess. He seemed cool.

JPB
01-06-2023, 06:22 PM
I would’ve rather waived KBD, though logically Keita is more useful. I like Dieng, I guess. He seemed cool.

That's un-spursy to dumb a cool guy like Dieng in the nature like that. There might indeed be something ready for him if he retires.

BacktoBasics
01-06-2023, 06:23 PM
It would be smart to keep the spot open.

KingKev
01-06-2023, 07:36 PM
It would be smart to keep the spot open.

We could easily cut a handful of our fringe NBA players if need be.

spurraider21
01-06-2023, 07:40 PM
when we did the marquese chriss trade there was a whole article about how bad it was. why sugarcoat this as anything different?

KingKev
01-06-2023, 07:43 PM
I think it is great we have helped both 2022 NBA finalists with their ridiculous tax bills with nothing in return.

Good on us mate!!!!

Ocotillo
01-06-2023, 07:46 PM
I wonder if Dieng might move to a position where he has something to do with scouting or other with African basketball? That was the connection, R.C. had done something or other there and Dieng had that relationship. On the other hand, if he can catch on with a play off bound team in need of vet depth, he has been done a solid by being cut loose from a tank squad that that he is not even getting minutes on.

exstatic
01-06-2023, 07:51 PM
when we did the marquese chriss trade there was a whole article about how bad it was. why sugarcoat this as anything different?

Someone hands us money, and it’s bad?

spurraider21
01-06-2023, 08:25 PM
:lol "us"

it goes in the owners' pocket. it doesnt go toward the team. we, the team, absorbed a cap hit and lost cap space. the owners' made some scratch. the spurs basketball team got nothing out of this

but keep sniffing

John B
01-06-2023, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I totally agree with Bassey, Stanley as great pickup and deserving an extension. I think Dieng can still get value from a contender needing a veteran stretch-big. While openning a roster spot could allow absorbing bad contracts in exchange for FRP’s on trade deadline. It’s a good move.

XDT76
01-06-2023, 08:35 PM
Detroit seems really quite bad we shot 3 3ptrs and hit none in a quarter and yet still leads them

XDT76
01-06-2023, 08:38 PM
Hornets scores 51 in a quarter against the bucks. Should be good for those that support tanking.

jjspur
01-06-2023, 08:47 PM
This tanking team is probably losing money in the box office, consessions, parking lot, merchandising and a few other places, so the owners welcome any "free money". In business any free money is good money especially when the franchise has seen better days.

Mr. Body
01-06-2023, 09:28 PM

it goes in the owners' pocket. it doesnt go toward the team. we, the team, absorbed a cap hit and lost cap space. the owners' made some scratch. the spurs basketball team got nothing out of this

but keep sniffing

You know what happens when the team stops making money in San Antonio? Say hello to the Las Vegas Spurs.

slick'81
01-06-2023, 09:31 PM
You know what happens when the team stops making money in San Antonio? Say hello to the Las Vegas Spurs.

gonna be that way if they stop winning too

K...
01-06-2023, 09:31 PM

it was something like the spurs could have taken another good prospect rather than an injury guy. The spurs took money to fill a roster spot. This time the spurs have plenty of prospects and we don't really need the cap space, and opened a roster spot. Different times.

exstatic
01-06-2023, 09:44 PM
it was something like the spurs could have taken another good prospect rather than an injury guy. The spurs took money to fill a roster spot. This time the spurs have plenty of prospects and we don't really need the cap space, and opened a roster spot. Different times.

They also cut Chriss, who was out for the year, so there was still a roster spot. Not really any difference. Money for nothing.

CGD
01-06-2023, 10:58 PM

If they do end up signing Bassey, the ~$500k they netted might end up being basically the prorated balance of what his minimum deal would be. In that case not only did they not have to “eat” Dieng’s salary, but they also got the hard cash to pay Bassey.

Chinook
01-06-2023, 11:01 PM

but keep sniffing

Funny how the last similar trade also involved Dieng. I remember saying in the diatribe thread about the Chriss deal that we should look out for future moves the Spurs make that either saves them cash or has them avoid paying cash. I think in the Chip leaving thread I pointed out a couple of additional examples.

It's not a great sign. There's zero reason why the owners should be looking to the team to get them money right now. They're barely paying anything. Someone posted that pic breaking down the net savings of the trade, but it ignored that the Spurs are below the floor, so even that slight bit of cash the Spurs had to pay Vonleh doesn't matter. It was pure cash for the Spurs. It's such a tiny amount that it doesn't really affect anything ... except now we know that getting the owners cash is a legit trade incentive for the Spurs. We have to ask ourselves if they've been turning down trades that could've gotten them some basketball assets because they haven't resulted in the owners getting a cash win. Like how the Chriss trade suggested the Spurs might've turned down value in a LMA trade because Aldridge's buyout saved the owners cash.

It's a lot of breadcrumbs at this point. We've gotta hope the Spurs are just doing this because they're tanking, but we'll see. I do think a lot of people downplaying this might not be looking at the bigger picture, maybe willifully?

Chinook
01-06-2023, 11:02 PM
If they do end up signing Bassey, the ~$500k they netted might end up being basically the prorated balance of what his minimum deal would be. In that case not only did they not have to “eat” Dieng’s salary, but they also got the hard cash to pay Bassey.

No. All of that is taken up by the floor. It won't cost the owners anything to do either of those actions.

spurraider21
01-06-2023, 11:59 PM
Based