View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Nets - Jan. 17, 2023

timvp
01-18-2023, 08:19 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-nets-grades-45/

Guess you can't lose 'em all.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-18-2023, 10:39 PM
Good write up! :tu

The biggest thing hurting this version of the Spurs is their inability to shoot the ball. Being in the arena for both the Warriors and Kings game gives a little different perspective than watching on TV. They get a ton of open looks every game, but their inability to hit an open basket is what's killing this team. Pop coaches a good game offensively, tbh. They don't lack for open looks. Defense sucks, sure, but they face defenses not really much better than them. Getting the win tonight with 38% shooting from the floor and 20% from three is a testament to the Nets being short-handed more than the Spurs doing anything different than they've done in most of these losses.

Overall I like the team. Lots of complimentary pieces. They basically faced their equal in the Nets minus Durant and Kyrie. The Spurs have no cornerstone players on this team, yet. Murray was going to demand cornerstone money while he's also still just a complimentary piece. Spurs were smart to trade him. Simmons makes cornerstone money on the Nets, but he's just a supporting cast member.

Mr. Body
01-18-2023, 10:40 PM
I don't know the last time the Spurs could actually shoot the ball.

KingKev
01-18-2023, 10:49 PM
I don't know the last time the Spurs could actually shoot the ball.

we consistently have 10-15mm a year in dead cap, not to mention this year we are 25mm UNDER the salary cap.

You absolutely want to get the highest pick possible. It’s not even a discussion. The difference between a #1 and #7 is like 15-20mm over 4 yrs. Hardly relevant.

My bad disregard pls, this was a response meant for another thread and I was having trouble accessing the site last night.

Mr. Body
01-19-2023, 12:10 AM
we consistently have 10-15mm a year in dead cap, not to mention this year we are 25mm UNDER the salary cap.

You absolutely want to get the highest pick possible. It’s not even a discussion. The difference between a #1 and #7 is like 15-20mm over 4 yrs. Hardly relevant.

You're responding to the wrong comment. Also, your comment is stupid.

John B
01-19-2023, 09:37 AM
Somehow I liked the Win after the pounding I guess from their last meeting. I’ll remember the takedown most of all from this game. It reminded me of Cassell leaning on Barkeley’s injured leg when both fell down. Cassell was a Rookie then and immediately I knew there was something about that kid having the audacity on no one else but Barkeley himself. Sochan exhibit that same confidence, and I like that from the 19 years old. He’s not going to be shy, and he cares less if people talk about his one-handed FT that makes them 25% better. I think he will surprise a lot in his 2nd year. He was hurt last Summer, but with playing PG, being asked to defend the best players, shooting FT one-handed, you know he’ll do more.

I’m happy for Keldon. He needed a night like last night. It’s unfortunate it’s a rebuilding/tanking year or he’d be ballin more. But I think he understands the assignment being the leader of the pack. He’s not happy to lose on many nights, you don’t see his normal giddy way. I can’t wait for next season.

Branham continous to impress me with his ballhandling. He’s a natural and very poised. I think he and Blake would share that backup PG/SG going forward. It’s not a bad duo coming off the bench imo.

Everybody else played hard. There are some mistakes here and there, missed assignments, missed shots, but the fight was there. I like it. :toast

KingKev
01-19-2023, 10:45 AM
Why can’t Keldon impact the game like this more?

I’m not talking scoring but rebounding and defence. That was where I hoped he would make a big leap this year.

DPG21920
01-19-2023, 10:57 PM
timvp - trade deadline is coming up….need another thread tbh imvho.