PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Coach of the Year 2022-23. Where does Pop stand?

MultiTroll
02-01-2023, 03:37 PM
Current top spots for Wama sweepstakes.

Stephen Silas Rockets. Strong candidate and current front runner. Some very impressive screw ups.

Dwayne Casey Pistons. Great start but running into some wins lately. Still holding down #2.

Gregg "CIA" Pop Spurs. Rough start to the season but really hitting stride now.

Steve Clifford Hornets Still in solid contention for bottom 3

Jamahl Mosley Magic. 5-5 recently, slipping.

Ariel
02-01-2023, 03:57 PM
Pop wins by a landslide, because he's playing his rookies (unlike the Charlotte's) and developing them the right way (unlike Houston's who are being thrown under the bus).

John B
02-01-2023, 04:21 PM
Tanking is not in Pop’s vocabulary. The right term is rebuilding. And if they happen to lose, then be it.

MultiTroll
02-01-2023, 04:58 PM
Robinson Breaks Bone in Left Foot, Will Miss About Six Weeks - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com) (https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1996-12-24-sp-12159-story.html#:~:text=Dec.%2024%2C%201996%2012%20AM%2 0PT%20From%20Associated,night%E2%80%99s%2090-79%20loss%20to%20Miami%20at%20San%20Antonio.)

6 weeks equaled around Feb 1st healed foot.

MultiTroll
02-01-2023, 10:38 PM
1-12 for the Spurs last bakers dozen.
Better then any of the other 5, and indeed the Spurs have sole possession of 3rd.

.266 was Pops career launching 1997 record.
.269 at present.
:bobo

Dex
02-02-2023, 01:50 PM
As long as the Spurs end up with a top 4 pick, this will be a successful tank.

John B
02-02-2023, 04:37 PM
Pop had the balls to deal his #1 player in DJM getting hauls, likewise shipping White, cleared the Vets the previous year, to play Rookies who are developing pretty well despite the record, and Spurs are within reach in getting a generational talent of either Wemby or Scoot? I’d say Pop is doing a great job!

exstatic
02-03-2023, 10:02 AM
The race for #5 is going to be really interesting after the trade deadline. With Silver’s warning about blatant tanking, I don’t believer anyone outside of the bottom 4 can crash that party.

KingKev
02-03-2023, 10:05 AM
The race for #5 is going to be really interesting after the trade deadline. With Silver’s warning about blatant tanking, I don’t believer anyone outside of the bottom 4 can crash that party.

The parity across the league and the play-in are definitely working in our favour. Magic are caught in no-mans land but every-other team should be gunning for the playing as they aren’t catching the bottom 4.

We are a lock for a bottom 4 seed. If Jak/Jrich are moved at the deadline we are a lock for a bottom 3.

exstatic
02-03-2023, 10:10 AM
The parity across the league and the play-in are definitely working in our favour. Magic are caught in no-mans land but every-other team should be gunning for the playing as they aren’t catching the bottom 4.

We are a lock for a bottom 4 seed. If Jak/Jrich are moved at the deadline we are a lock for a bottom 3.

5th isn’t a terrible spot, and it’s attainable by multiple teams. The odds are 42.1% for a top 4 pick, and 10.5% for #1. I can see an absolute death battle for 5 and 6.

KingKev
02-03-2023, 10:19 AM
5th isn’t a terrible spot, and it’s attainable by multiple teams. The odds are 42.1% for a top 4 pick, and 10.5% for #1. I can see an absolute death battle for 5 and 6.

Agreed, I just feel that unless you lose a main player to injuries like DDR, Dame, Beal etc given the parity you should be gunning for the play-in.

This is the most open NBA season in recent memory.

mo7888
02-03-2023, 10:32 AM
Agreed, I just feel that unless you lose a main player to injuries like DDR, Dame, Beal etc given the parity you should be gunning for the play-in.

This is the most open NBA season in recent memory.

Because of the parity, one of the most interesting things about this deadline is finding out who's going to be buyers. Even a team like Orlando could potentially be a sneaky buyer.

KingKev
02-03-2023, 10:41 AM
Because of the parity, one of the most interesting things about this deadline is finding out who's going to be buyers. Even a team like Orlando could potentially be a sneaky buyer.

They need to consolidate some of their pieces. Between TRoss, Gary Harris at the 2 and Cole Anthony, Suggs, Fultz at point they might be able to turn that into one solid vet. Mo Bamba also seems to have fallen out of favour.

If Isaac stays healthy and they move the above plus use their cap space wisely they could easily be a solid playoff team next season.

They did a great job selling high on Vuc/Gordon. If only we could have done the same with DDR/LMA.

mo7888
02-03-2023, 10:47 AM
They need to consolidate some of their pieces. Between TRoss, Gary Harris at the 2 and Cole Anthony, Suggs, Fultz at point they might be able to turn that into one solid vet. Mo Bamba also seems to have fallen out of favour.

If Isaac stays healthy and they move the above plus use their cap space wisely they could easily be a solid playoff team next season.

They did a great job selling high on Vuc/Gordon. If only we could have done the same with DDR/LMA.

I'm with you on that.... I try to look at it from our perspective, who would we have that would interest them, but there isn't much. Devin is the only one I can see if I squint a little but, with his injury that's probably not feasible either.

KingKev
02-03-2023, 11:03 AM
I'm with you on that.... I try to look at it from our perspective, who would we have that would interest them, but there isn't much. Devin is the only one I can see if I squint a little but, with his injury that's probably not feasible either.

I’d move Vassell for Issac but doubt they would. If we could package multiple seconds and McD for Mo Bamba I’s take a flier there. Especially if we are able to move Jak for an FRP.

MultiTroll
03-06-2023, 12:38 AM
1-18*

Just an incredible run by Pop. But Houston and Detroit remain formidable opponents.

Gregg Pop, fresh off a one game medical leave, came roaring back from his broken streak with 2 losses to the Houston Rockets.

Pop has thus now pulled within a half game of Silas of the Rockets and Dwayne Casey of the Pistons.

No stranger to high stakes losing, Pop has channeled his 1996-7 epic .266 % which laid the foundation for the Spurs next 20 years.

Em-City
03-06-2023, 01:44 AM
I’d move Vassell for Issac but doubt they would. If we could package multiple seconds and McD for Mo Bamba I’s take a flier there. Especially if we are able to move Jak for an FRP.
Vassell for Isaac?

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-06-2023, 02:51 PM
The back to back Rocket blowouts were a thing of beauty.

RC_Drunkford
03-06-2023, 03:03 PM
this is Pop's best coaching season since 2017

KingKev
03-06-2023, 04:43 PM
this is Pop's best coaching season since 2017

Getting Wemby and Pop retiring is a dream come true.

Jordan Jackson
03-06-2023, 06:39 PM

If by some miracle they land Victor - I don’t believe Pop will be able to leave. Him coaching the team may be required initially by everyone involved. JMO.

GAustex
03-06-2023, 07:29 PM
Pop retiring is a dream come true.

Fixed it for you

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-06-2023, 08:05 PM
If by some miracle they land Victor - I don’t believe Pop will be able to leave. Him coaching the team may be required initially by everyone involved. JMO.

Anyone who thinks Pop's done should the Spurs draft at #1 is not thinking straight. Now, if the Spurs fall to 4th or 5th...then maybe....

exstatic
03-06-2023, 08:07 PM

I have some bad news for you. If we pull Wemby in the draft, Pop is going nowhere.

T Park
03-07-2023, 11:26 PM
Anyone who thinks Pop's done should the Spurs draft at #1 is not thinking straight. Now, if the Spurs fall to 4th or 5th...then maybe....

Nah.

Im about convinced its going to take a health scare, or maybe RC saying its time, but who knows.

We’ve had him retiring for 5 years now.

slick'81
03-08-2023, 01:17 PM
He's the highest paid coach in the L..... spurs fo doesnt have theballs to make a switch

exstatic
03-08-2023, 03:07 PM
He's the highest paid coach in the L..... spurs fo doesnt have theballs to make a switch

The FO doesn't have the Authority, only the ownership/managing partner. Pop has never worked for the GM since he gave up the title in the summer of 99, after the first time the Spurs got stiffed when a player (LaMond Murray) agreed, then backed out. He turned the reins over to RC, because he no longer wanted to deal with snakes like Falk and Arn Tellem.

John B
03-08-2023, 03:24 PM
The FO doesn't have the Authority, only the ownership/managing partner. Pop has never worked for the GM since he gave up the title in the summer of 99, after the first time the Spurs got stiffed when a player (LaMond Murray) agreed, then backed out. He turned the reins over to RC, because he no longer wanted to deal with snakes like Falk and Arn Tellem.

Still you don’t really believe that Wright has the full autonomy. And Pop, and RC, have a lot to say on the direction of the team.

But Pop would be Spurs Coach for as long as he wants. I think the organization owes him that much.

KingKev
03-08-2023, 03:25 PM

Man I was excited for Lamond Murray. Bruce Bowen worked out well following summer but seemed like it was the elusive wing… Murray, Eddie Robinson, Stack leaving. If we could have had any of those guys and not sacrifice anything we would have had been right there for contention 00-02.

slick'81
03-08-2023, 03:32 PM

my fault, i meant ownership

exstatic
03-08-2023, 04:02 PM
Still you don’t really believe that Wright has the full autonomy. And Pop, and RC, have a lot to say on the direction of the team.

But Pop would be Spurs Coach for as long as he wants. I think the organization owes him that much.

We're not disagreeing. The poster I responded to said that the front office lacked the guts to fire him, and I was simply responding that they lacked the authority,

MultiTroll
03-08-2023, 05:33 PM
We're not disagreeing. The poster I responded to said that the front office lacked the guts to fire him, and I was simply responding that they lacked the authority,
Safe to assume that someone, beginning with Young Holts on down.....starting this past summer said no more Purgatory go for a chance at Wama?

exstatic
03-08-2023, 05:59 PM
Safe to assume that someone, beginning with Young Holts on down.....starting this past summer said no more Purgatory go for a chance at Wama?

Oh, sure. Everyone would have to be on the same page. I'm sure that Tony P and Diaw talked to Pop and RC and gave details about Wemby, who then probably talked to the management committee. There are years it's worth it to tank, and years it isn't. This is definitely a "worth it" year.

K...
03-08-2023, 08:58 PM
The spurs likelihood of tanking flipped from unlikely to likely when Derozan left in free agency and murray put him salary feelers out. Since then they made calucalted attempts to build around murray and Keldon, but neither of those guys are ready so down to the bottom we go.

exstatic
03-08-2023, 09:08 PM
The spurs likelihood of tanking flipped from unlikely to likely when Derozan left in free agency and murray put him salary feelers out. Since then they made calucalted attempts to build around murray and Keldon, but neither of those guys are ready so down to the bottom we go.

They didn’t miss a beat without DeRozan. They wanted to see what would happen with DJ at the helm, and they were really no worse. The thing is, they were no better, either, and DJ indicated that wouldn’t be receptive to another extension. That was the sign they needed to tear it down.

stnick2261
03-09-2023, 03:27 PM
Wright negotiated the Murray deal and presented it to Pop. It was Pop's decision to make the switch from "reloading" and going for the playoffs to "rebuilding" and gutting the team for a tank. I remember that being tweeted at the time of the Murray trade.

MultiTroll
03-10-2023, 11:30 PM
Senseless win over Denver.

Leaving a hot McForbesbot in was very poor tanking.

Ok well it's only 1 game but a troubling one at that.

Still 4 games ahead of Charlotte.

exstatic
03-12-2023, 08:17 AM
Senseless win over Denver.

Leaving a hot McForbesbot in was very poor tanking.

Ok well it's only 1 game but a troubling one at that.

Still 4 games ahead of Charlotte.

5. Wins are the bad thing, and Charlotte has 5 more of them.

JuneJive
03-12-2023, 08:33 AM
Say what you want about the old goat, but he handled this season masterfully.

scott
03-12-2023, 12:37 PM
View the Denver win as an investment in staying off Silver's Intentional Tank Radar.

slick'81
03-12-2023, 01:43 PM
View the Denver win as an investment in staying off Silver's Intentional Tank Radar.

silver aint gonna do shit

exstatic
03-12-2023, 02:27 PM
silver aint gonna do shit

You don’t want to risk that. There are two teams, Chicago and Philly, who will forfeit their second rounders this year for tampering. Silver don’t play, AND he issued a warning.

slick'81
03-12-2023, 05:42 PM
You don’t want to risk that. There are two teams, Chicago and Philly, who will forfeit their second rounders this year for tampering. Silver don’t play, AND he issued a warning.

no way sliver can prove spurs are tanking

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-12-2023, 06:14 PM

One team is forfeiting pick 57, the other pick 59.Both teams signed the players they wanted.

What a savage that Silver is! Really showed them who the boss is.

exstatic
03-12-2023, 06:58 PM
no way sliver can prove spurs are tanking

No, because they’ve been smart about it.

exstatic
03-12-2023, 06:59 PM
One team is forfeiting pick 57, the other pick 59.Both teams signed the players they wanted.

What a savage that Silver is! Really showed them who the boss is.

It’s still forfeited picks. What kind of pickmight he forfeit for lottery tanking? I don’t want to find out.

MultiTroll
03-12-2023, 08:01 PM
This is more like it.
Close this OKC loss.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-13-2023, 01:29 AM
It’s still forfeited picks. What kind of pickmight he forfeit for lottery tanking? I don’t want to find out.

How about not allowing the teams to sign the players in question at all, like they did with Milwaukee and Bogdanovic? This would be a proper punishment. Forfeiting a 50 something pick in order to ensure you're getting the FA you want is a no brainer.

cjw
03-13-2023, 02:29 PM
The Spurs would have to go 5-10 down the stretch to tie Charlotte if Charlotte were to go 0-12. Neither is happening, so Spurs are basically guaranteed to have the most balls (tied) heading into the lottery.

The odds of 1-4 are identical with the Rockets and Pistons, which is what really matters this draft. All the Spurs gave up by moving away from the bottom two is a lower chance at 5. Chance they pick at 6 is 26%, and 7 is 7%. Those later slots do offer slightly lower salary numbers too.

MultiTroll
03-13-2023, 04:25 PM
The Spurs would have to go 5-10 down the stretch to tie Charlotte if Charlotte were to go 0-12. Neither is happening, so Spurs are basically guaranteed to have the most balls (tied) heading into the lottery.

The odds of 1-4 are identical with the Rockets and Pistons, which is what really matters this draft. All the Spurs gave up by moving away from the bottom two is a lower chance at 5. Chance they pick at 6 is 26%, and 7 is 7%. Those later slots do offer slightly lower salary numbers too.
Thanks for the updated info.
I still won't sleep soundly until it's much closer to a clinch. Charlotte just may go 0-12. Also Det and Houston seem dedicated to the Tank, altho Hou sweeping the Spurs belies that.

WTH is going on behind the scenes with the race to the Tank? :lol

Really would like to see Pop do another streak to close it out. Like 1-9 in the next 10.

Not asking for 0-15 close altho that would be sweet.

exstatic
03-13-2023, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the updated info.
I still won't sleep soundly until it's much closer to a clinch. Charlotte just may go 0-12. Also Det and Houston seem dedicated to the Tank, altho Hou sweeping the Spurs belies that.

WTH is going on behind the scenes with the race to the Tank? :lol

Really would like to see Pop do another streak to close it out. Like 1-9 in the next 10.

Not asking for 0-15 close altho that would be sweet.

Charlotte going 0-12 is irrelevant if we don't go 6-9. We only have two more games against lottery teams. Ain't happening.

MultiTroll
03-22-2023, 10:33 PM
19-54 as Pop ran the win % down to .260 with the Bucks loss, once again below his epic 1997 season.

Detroits Casey seems absolutely committed to the Tank, and Houstons Silas keeps barely losing.

Pop can still do it, but mathematically would seem catching Houston would be as good as it gets.

4 full games behind Charlotte in the loss column. :tu

MultiTroll
03-31-2023, 10:37 PM
19-57 about to be 19-58

Pop is still very much alive for the award in my book.
Should the Spurs complete the loss to Golden State (behind at half 68-58 mid 3rd qtr) will be...
1/2 game behind Houston.

Shnuld Pop pull off 2nd place could he get the award?
Screw the media and it's corrupt voting methods, this is our board our award. Does not have to be predicated on Worst Record only.

Update FFS the Spurs have pulled within 2 at 74-72.

slick'81
04-01-2023, 01:10 AM
Hou has literally been trying to give spurs the #2slot

MultiTroll
04-04-2023, 11:07 AM
Definitely out of the running with the turrble performance vs Kings.
Pet McDermott given huge minutes while hot and disastrously with the game on the line.

Pathetic.

Silas on a mission with the entire Detroit org behind him.