PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs at Pistons - Feb. 10, 2023

timvp
02-11-2023, 04:01 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-pistons-grades-56/

Fun game. Good loss. :tu

KingKev
02-11-2023, 04:11 PM
Graham is going to be a great tank commander.

spurraider21
02-11-2023, 04:12 PM
if timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) doesnt give Graham an F for this game, there is no justice in this world

gets an A+

cjw
02-11-2023, 04:13 PM

I don’t think people realize how important it was to bring back a tank commander for the stretch run. Should help them clinch a bottom three record, and possibly even get to the worst record (which guarantees them better pick than 2 and/or 3 if two or three of them get jumped in lottery.

Mr. Body
02-11-2023, 04:32 PM
I'm going to despise watching Graham play. This hero ball shit is the ugliest shit, goddamn. And we have to suffer through him next year.

One thing I miss about White and Murray is that they seemed to mix it up on the defensive glass way more than Branham and Wesley. Of course Dejounte was extremely long, but he cleaned up there a lot. They wound up with eight between them last night (in extended minutes), so okay. But I feel like they're watching way too much. We need them in there.

Note: These weren't Barlow's first NBA minutes. He's played before; not sure if a typo.

timvp
02-11-2023, 04:37 PM
Note: These weren't Barlow's first NBA minutes. He's played before; not sure if a typo.

I meant first real NBA minutes as part of the rotation. Clarified. Thanks.

JeffDuncan
02-11-2023, 04:40 PM
A great writeup for a surprisingly fun game to watch. So it wasn’t beautiful, but nobody expected that. Lots of energy, hustle, extremely competitive, a nail-biter finish, and it turned out right. What more could anybody ask in a game of that kind?

I also liked that the refs were mostly invisible. That’s how it should be, but hardly ever is in the NBA.

I would have given Graham an F- tho. The crazy chucker almost cost us the darn game! Hahaha

timvp
02-11-2023, 04:43 PM

Tbh, I liked what I saw. The Spurs desperately lack volume three-point shooting and he can bring that. Sure, he'll chuck at times but the threat of Graham's shot should provide spacing the Spurs haven't had this season -- or last season, really.

The Spurs aren't good enough to create a ton of three-point looks naturally because no one really can draw a constant double-team. So Graham's ability to create his own threes is actually pretty valuable.

Maybe I'll change my mind if he turns into a superchucker going forward but his skill-set will be a solid fit, in my mind, at least.

JPB
02-11-2023, 04:45 PM
I'm going to despise watching Graham play. This hero ball shit is the ugliest shit, goddamn. And we have to suffer through him next year.

One thing I miss about White and Murray is that they seemed to mix it up on the defensive glass way more than Branham and Wesley. Of course Dejounte was extremely long, but he cleaned up there a lot. They wound up with eight between them last night (in extended minutes), so okay. But I feel like they're watching way too much. We need them in there.

Gonna slap myself but can't remember the name of that former SA bench player a few years ago (big 3 era) who was a supermassive black hole shooting everything he was touching too...

These guys are as close to spurs phylosophy than I'm close to be the next Pope.

Degoat
02-11-2023, 04:53 PM
I didn’t get to watch the game but the highlights looked fun! I’m sure Defensively he’s worst than Patty mills was but it’s nice having a guy who can make 5+ 3s in a game lol Especially once Sochan returns on a fast break

BacktoBasics
02-11-2023, 04:53 PM
Graham will bring 4 2nds or maybe a package for a 1st if he continues this rehab path. I really like the pickup.

heyheymymy
02-11-2023, 04:56 PM
Good point OP - underrated in Graham's performance was the ability to get to the line. So beneficial: Draws on opponents & gets them in foul trouble, slows the game down, sees the ball go in, points for SA. Crucial ability that Graham features in last night's game.

KingKev
02-11-2023, 05:09 PM
Tbh, I liked what I saw. The Spurs desperately lack volume three-point shooting and he can bring that. Sure, he'll chuck at times but the threat of Graham's shot should provide spacing the Spurs haven't had this season -- or last season, really.

The Spurs aren't good enough to create a ton of three-point looks naturally because no one really can draw a constant double-team. So Graham's ability to create his own threes is actually pretty valuable.

Maybe I'll change my mind if he turns into a superchucker going forward but his skill-set will be a solid fit, in my mind, at least.

I believe he potentially fills an important short/medium term need as a ball handler and floor spacer such that Branham and Sochan can focus on other areas of development instead of being forced to moonlight as a point but my initial thoughts are he is a chucker who will lose you more winnable fames down the stretch than he will win you which again serves a purpose in itself.

Will be interested to see if our development brass can have him playing more efficient ball.

Mr. Body
02-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Gonna slap myself but can't remember the name of that former SA bench player a few years ago (big 3 era) who was a supermassive black hole shooting everything he was touching too...

Roger. Mason?

KingKev
02-11-2023, 05:20 PM

Patty Mills?? Lol I’m guessing you mean Gary Neal

lefty20
02-11-2023, 05:21 PM
Roger. Mason?

That's Roger "Money" Mason to you good sir.

He's earned that moniker for life after fucking up the Suns on Christmas day, tbh.

donaldsonian
02-11-2023, 05:27 PM
Both Graham and Tre Jones are listed at 6’1”. Would be interesting to see them side by side because Graham looked shorter than that out there.

JPB
02-11-2023, 05:32 PM
Roger. Mason?

That's Roger "Money" Mason to you good sir.

He's earned that moniker for life after fucking up the Suns on Christmas day, tbh.

Thanks but I'm thinking about another guy. I'll check spurs rosters from the 2010s on when I have some time.

KingKev
02-11-2023, 05:38 PM
Lol too busy to do a 2 minute google search but posted multiple times about the question at hand.

heyheymymy
02-11-2023, 05:45 PM
Gotta be real deal Neal or RMJr

Mason Jr is a jewel in the Spurs family crown and I will die on this hill, bros

heyheymymy
02-11-2023, 05:47 PM
Oh maybe Marco Belii

heyheymymy
02-11-2023, 05:47 PM
Gotta be Belinelli if Neal and Mason Jr. didn't ring a bell

DPG21920
02-11-2023, 05:56 PM

I was fuming last night at thought of Graham being the anti mentor chucker who instead of fitting in thinks he can chuck vs bad teams, stall development and win us games vs bad teams. Hope it’s just one game and not how it’s going to be. Josh and Doug ever shoot 22 times?

mo7888
02-11-2023, 06:03 PM
Good stuff.. I like the Graham pickup more after that game (yes I know it's one game).. He looks like a guy a team would want coming off the bench on an expiring contract next year(value)....he provides spacing in the mean time....and if for some reason the team pivots after the draft and tries to win next year he fits off the bench here.....

I see no downside...

TD 21
02-11-2023, 06:05 PM
Way too many knee jerk reactions. Graham was likely either told by Pop, realized himself or a combination thereof that a team with zero primary ball handling/go-to scoring would need him to be aggressive.

When they're at or near full strength, his minutes/usage will inevitably drop some.

I also don't get the praise for Pop; as if there was a viable alternative rotation or pecking order at his disposal.

JPB
02-11-2023, 06:11 PM
Gotta be Belinelli if Neal and Mason Jr. didn't ring a bell

Come on guys, I'd remember Beli or Neal... It's a player who didn't stay long but tought he was the second coming of MJ, with a few (or a couple actually) big scoring nights when Pop was resting the real guys.

K...
02-11-2023, 06:18 PM
jack mclintock? i think he was an undersize chucker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_McClinton

never mind he barely played.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hairsma01.html hariston was legend because we desperate for new talent back then.

JPB
02-11-2023, 06:24 PM
I found the guy people. The legendary Austin Daye.

Dont' know why I remember him as a chucker. Am I wrong on this one?

timvp
02-11-2023, 06:25 PM
Come on guys, I'd remember Beli or Neal... It's a player who didn't stay long but tought he was the second coming of MJ, with a few (or a couple actually) big scoring nights when Pop was resting the real guys.

Thought he was MJ? You gotta be thinking of Ron Mercer :lol

JPB
02-11-2023, 06:27 PM
Thought he was MJ? You gotta be thinking of Ron Mercer :lol

That was Austin Daye but with all the names we got here we should make a Deluded-Hall-Of-Fame.

John B
02-12-2023, 04:39 AM
I would excuse Graham chucking as being new in the system. And I previously said he is a fools gold. I’ reconsidering. He is a baller and I think there is room for him in the team. But does he fit in this rebuilding team though? I say if he makes his shots within plays, then he could probably space players to maneuver. In tonight’s game vs the Hawks he paced down to 8 attempts instead of 22 the previous night, maybe also because of Sochan/Tre coming back as the main facilitators. That being said, I agree with the grade despite almost winning us a must-lose game for his efforts. It was his first game after being traded the day before, and he did only what he knows best, shoot the ball.

tbdog
02-12-2023, 05:29 AM
It was a fun game. But man the refs are so bad this year. They took a point off pistons towards the end, and on pops challenge, they still rewarded it as a foul.

Gagnrath
02-12-2023, 10:57 AM

I kind of think you're talking about Gary Neal.

JeffDuncan
02-12-2023, 12:47 PM
I found the guy people. The legendary Austin Daye.

Dont' know why I remember him as a chucker. Am I wrong on this one?

I’ll have to admit I don’t even remember what Austin Daye looked like. I remember the name. Looking it up, he was with the Spurs twice, and half his shots were for 3. Also, more turnovers than assists. So yes, it appears that when he got the ball, the odds were pretty good that he’d either shoot for a 3, or turn it over.

K...
02-12-2023, 01:00 PM
austin daye was a promising young journey man when he came here. He had moments where it look like he had the skill to remain in the nba but mostly he didn't. In this era the spurs were so starved for talent pop probably okd him to chuck. wikipedia says he's still balling in 2023 out in taiwan.

JeffDuncan
02-12-2023, 01:11 PM
Starved for talent? Hey, those teams had Jeff Ayres and Matt Bonner. So whatchu talkin bout?

KingKev
02-12-2023, 01:38 PM
Austin Daye another pickup from trading with our besties the Raptors.

Maybe they can do us a solid today and lose to the Pistons.