View Full Version : Shams: Spurs Releasing Stanley Johnson

BatManu20
02-12-2023, 11:51 AM
Later dude

ace3g
02-12-2023, 11:51 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1436503855861276680/8qzEXb9B_normal.jpg
Shams Charania ShamsCharania
(https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)22s (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1624813135164239872)
The San Antonio Spurs are releasing forward Stanley Johnson, sources tell @TheAthletic (https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/) @Stadium (https://twitter.com/Stadium/). Johnson had a strong stint for the Spurs this season, shooting 45 percent from 3-point range, and will now look to join a postseason contender.

Mr. Body
02-12-2023, 11:52 AM
That's really weird. Someone coming in? Letting him go to a playoff team? He expose himself?

BatManu20
02-12-2023, 11:53 AM
Assuming this is so he can join a contender. Lakers, Mavs, and Suns are prob already on the line with his agent.

KingKev
02-12-2023, 11:55 AM
That's really weird. Someone coming in? Letting him go to a playoff team? He expose himself?

He probably asked to he released although I can’t see too many contenders having much interest if any.

Mal
02-12-2023, 11:56 AM
I don't see why Spurs do it, but good riddance Stan. More Roby, more ping pong balls.

LeBowen
02-12-2023, 11:56 AM
He probably asked to he released although I can’t see too many contenders having much interest if any.

Memphis could use him, their wing rotation is horrible.

J_Paco
02-12-2023, 12:01 PM
His defensive versatility will be missed, but it opens up a slot to either promote Bassey or sign another G-League stand-out (or multiple on 10 - day deals).

exstatic
02-12-2023, 12:08 PM
Memphis could use him, their wing rotation is horrible.

Cleveland’s is almost worse.

TD 21
02-12-2023, 12:11 PM
Off the top, Mavericks, Pacers, Heat, Suns make the most sense.

KingKev
02-12-2023, 12:17 PM
We needed to make room for LDN Danny Green who just agreed to a buyout with the Rockets.

KingKev
02-12-2023, 12:22 PM
Jeff McDonald reporting the plan is to convert Bassey to guaranteed with the open roster spot

spurraider21
02-12-2023, 12:22 PM
He probably asked for it. But if a contenders really covets him, we coulda added to our second round pick compilation

J_Paco
02-12-2023, 12:26 PM
Jeff McDonald reporting the plan is to convert Bassey to guaranteed with the open roster spot

Makes sense. They could use the available Two - Way spot on a PG or combo guard. They definitely need to improve their depth at guard.

Will converting him now give them any "advantage" in retaining him in the offseason?

Twisted_Dawg
02-12-2023, 12:28 PM
Maybe the Spurs were doing Stanley's agent a solid?

TD 21
02-12-2023, 12:29 PM
Makes sense. They could use the available Two - Way spot on a PG or combo guard. They definitely need to improve their depth at guard.

Will converting him now give them any "advantage" in retaining him in the offseason?

Watch it go to Hall again.

It'll likely be a multi-year, partially guaranteed pact.

exstatic
02-12-2023, 12:31 PM

They wouldn’t just convert his contract for the rest of the season. Probably 2 more seasons, unguaranteed.

John B
02-12-2023, 12:32 PM
I like Stanley but sometimes making ill-advised decisions, which probably prompted PATFO to release or his agent getting a call from a contender interested. Spurs doing right for their player in case.

exstatic
Just an aside…I really like Bassey, but they converted Cacok last year, and he was gone by training camp.

JeffDuncan
Stanley looked good enough that someone could sign him. Heck, Joe Wieskamp got signed, by the Raps.

exstatic
02-12-2023, 12:35 PM
I like Stanley but sometimes making ill-advised decisions, which probably prompted PATFO to release or his agent getting a call from a contender interested. Spurs doing right for their player in case.

He was better earlier in the year, not so much recently. His image has probably been rehabbed from gleaguer to actual NBA player. Good luck, Stanley.

KingKev
02-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Just an aside…I really like Bassey, but they converted Cacok last year, and he was gone by training camp.

Also converted Weiskamp thru end of the season and gave him a deal in the summer just to waive him.

J_Paco
02-12-2023, 01:16 PM

Valid point, but I think Bassey is younger and has more untapped offensive potential.

Cacok always felt like a warm body that they had no long - term plans for. Now, Bassey could be the same case, yet I think he'll have a better chance if he can show more offensively.

RC_Drunkford
02-12-2023, 01:18 PM
Spurs probably doing him a solid, although if that was the case they could've tried to get another 2nd round pick for him before the deadline :lol

stephen jackson
02-12-2023, 01:31 PM
Good more minutes for malaki

Spurs Homer
02-12-2023, 01:39 PM
Seems like every player i like and appreciate …

like purtle
j rich
stanley

the spurs get rid of…

i hate malaki already- means the spurs love him i guess

i love sochan- uh oh?
kidding-

jeez i just hope there is an actual plan and it works - otherwise these are some players that could have been useful next year or two

Goob
02-12-2023, 01:42 PM
https://media.tenor.com/0T4ZwvBvwcwAAAAC/no-shits.gif

scott
02-12-2023, 01:53 PM
Spurs probably doing him a solid, although if that was the case they could've tried to get another 2nd round pick for him before the deadline :lol

My guess is it went down like this...

Stanley: Yo, can you trade me to a contender?

PAFTO: Sure... you do realize you were on the street a few months ago and signed for the vet mini--

Stanley: I want to get that ring!

PAFTO: Okay...

(5 days later)

PAFTO: So... yeah man, sorry we couldn't trade you...

Stanley: I want to be released so I can join a superteam!

PAFTO: Okay........

K...
02-12-2023, 01:58 PM
well hes' not getting the salary floor pay bump now. Big loss for a player on vet min. Spurs should be getting all matter of vets and marginal prospects looking to ride the bench for that sweet extra tank team pay

J_Paco
02-12-2023, 02:03 PM

PAFTO: Sure... you do realize you were on the street a few months ago and signed for the vet mini--

(5 days later)

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

slick'81
Good riddance

InRareForm
well hes' not getting the salary floor pay bump now. Big loss for a player on vet min. Spurs should be getting all matter of vets and marginal prospects looking to ride the bench for that sweet extra tank team pay

How much would he have gained if he stayed ?

timvp
02-12-2023, 02:18 PM
Interesting move. Previously, I heard that the Spurs offered Bassey a multi-year, partially guaranteed contract and his agent turned it down. Sounds like something changed on that front.

Waiving Stanley Johnson? Eh, not a huge deal but I thought he was a more interesting prospect than Roby and, if I'm being honest, KBD.

But I do like how this keeps minutes open for Branham even when the team is at full health. In the shorter term, it might even open up minutes for Wesley until Vassell returns.

spurraider21
02-12-2023, 02:22 PM
Interesting move. Previously, I heard that the Spurs offered Bassey a multi-year, partially guaranteed contract and his agent turned it down. Sounds like something changed on that front.

Waiving Stanley Johnson? Eh, not a huge deal but I thought he was a more interesting prospect than Roby and, if I'm being honest, KBD.

But I do like how this keeps minutes open for Branham even when the team is at full health. In the shorter term, it might even open up minutes for Wesley until Vassell returns.
Yeah Roby seems like more of a lost cause than any of those guys. Johnson has been around but he’s not some crusty old vet

KingKev
02-12-2023, 02:24 PM

They also need to make a decision on Langford heading into the off-season. His QO is ~8mm. This should free up some continued mins for him when he returns.

jjspur
02-12-2023, 02:48 PM
Stanley was a good soldier, didn't complain and actually looked like an NBA player and not some washed up has been. Wish him well on his next team. On the other hand Langford and Roby well ...... :eyebrows

Mr. Body
02-12-2023, 03:01 PM

I've wondered if the team was doing the softshoe undersell thing about Bassey and that it would hurt them. Namely, trying to keep him for cheap and not showcase hat he can do. Not even getting him on the floor in the G-League much less on the main team, where he showed he could learn and be productive. They always try to do things cheap and it may hurt them here.

rascal
02-12-2023, 03:07 PM

(5 days later)

Doubt it

He didn't ask to be released so he could go to a contender. He isn't that good to do something like that.

spurs10
02-12-2023, 03:08 PM
Jeff McDonald reporting the plan is to convert Bassey to guaranteed with the open roster spot This makes sense.

gospursgojas
02-12-2023, 03:12 PM
Making room for a big man since Collins can’t stay out of foul trouble to save his life.

JPB
02-12-2023, 03:14 PM
Doubt it

He didn't ask to be released so he could go to a contender. He isn't that good to do something like that.

Maybe but I suppose there's some plan behind that anyway. I might be wrong but I don't see spurs cutting him like that without a solution for Stanley...

venitian navigator
02-12-2023, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry because I thought he could have been a good role player next season at a decent multi-year contract...

rascal
02-12-2023, 03:16 PM
Maybe but I suppose there's some plan behind that anyway. I might be wrong but I don't see spurs cutting him like that without a solution for Stanley...

They sure would if he didn't fit in their plans.

Thomas82
02-12-2023, 03:20 PM
We needed to make room for LDN Danny Green who just agreed to a buyout with the Rockets.

I just read that he went back to Cleveland.

exstatic
02-12-2023, 03:22 PM

I’m wondering if his recent injury changed their minds about a multi- year deal?

exstatic
02-12-2023, 03:26 PM
I just read that he went back to Cleveland.

They badly need competent wing players, even injury recovering 35 YOs.

Thomas82
02-12-2023, 03:31 PM
They badly need competent wing players, even injury recovering 35 YOs.

Facts!!

exstatic
02-12-2023, 03:37 PM
Seems like every player i like and appreciate …

like purtle
j rich
stanley

the spurs get rid of…

i love sochan- uh oh?
kidding-

jeez i just hope there is an actual plan and it works - otherwise these are some players that could have been useful next year or two

If you Stan Stan, and hate Malaki, the problem isn’t the Spurs, it’s you.

CGD
02-12-2023, 03:44 PM
Wish him well. If he latches on somewhere else, I think he got everything he wanted out of his Spurs stint. Basically a chance to showcase.

John B
02-12-2023, 04:10 PM

(5 days later)

Unless somebody inquired about him. Coz as you said he was just in street clothes a few months back, and had the opportunity to rehab himself to NBA material, then asked to be released before then?

He could go back to the Lakers I guess:

https://lakeshowlife.com/2023/02/12/lakers-stanley-johnson-reunion-spurs/amp/

PhantomDashCam
02-12-2023, 05:06 PM
One guy I would like the Spurs to look at is Javon Freeman Liberty. He currently plays for the Windy City Bulls in the G-League.
The Spurs have a glut of guards which it makes it somewhat problematic but I think he’s an NBA player. He’s already 23 but a Derrick White-type of 23.

https://youtu.be/uuNWLBes--o

tbdog
02-12-2023, 05:38 PM
Path the way for Forbes

cd98
02-12-2023, 06:11 PM
Path the way for Forbes

That would definitely help with our tanking.

MultiTroll
02-12-2023, 06:28 PM
53 and 45% at a 1.6 mil salary.

Stanley >>>>>>> bang for the buck then Dougie McForbesbot.

playbonner15
02-12-2023, 07:21 PM
Path the way for Forbes
Nah team already have the Khemist

XDT76
02-12-2023, 07:30 PM
Probably Vassell coming back and they do not want to cut Malaki minutes.

There are also reports that he is not eligible to be traded as he is with the team for less than 3 months.

Chinook
02-12-2023, 10:09 PM
To be fair, the Spurs couldn't trade Johnson due to him signing too late. They likely could've gotten a second or two. Hope they have another wing in mind for their two-way

The Truth #6
02-12-2023, 11:08 PM
Seems weird they would cut him. Seems weird he would ask to be cut. I’d rather have him than Roby, KBD, Romeo. If he gets signed elsewhere it will make sense, I suppose. For now, makes me wonder if there was a personality issue.

exstatic
02-12-2023, 11:19 PM
Seems weird they would cut him. Seems weird he would ask to be cut. I’d rather have him than Roby, KBD, Romeo. If he gets signed elsewhere it will make sense, I suppose. For now, makes me wonder if there was a personality issue.

Nope. He wanted to go to a contender, but wasn’t here long enough to be traded. No drama, just goodwill by a team going nowhere. There was even speculation in this thread as to teams who might be interested who would need wing help.

rankingtear
02-12-2023, 11:39 PM
Banking on a good run with a contender, probably secures him another 4 years in the league. They can sign him back cheap if he does not get a payday.

The Truth #6
02-12-2023, 11:40 PM
Is it common knowledge he wanted to go to a contender? I would think he should be focusing on getting his next contract, not sitting on the bench on a good team.

FutureMan
02-13-2023, 12:40 AM
It’s not like we need him this year. He could easily go to a contender now and be signed again next year.

Random side note - he has played in more games this year than Vassell

Ice009
02-13-2023, 12:45 AM

Why do you hate Malaki?

Stanley was a good soldier, didn't complain and actually looked like an NBA player and not some washed up has been. Wish him well on his next team. On the other hand Langford and Roby well ...... :eyebrows

You don't like Langford? I understand he's out injured quite often and also a bit passive offensively, but I think he's pretty intriguing prospect defensively and could also have some potential offensively. I'd like to give him more time. If he can stay injury free, I'd love to see what he can do with more court time. Not sure what the Spurs will do with him due to his contract, though, as that qualifying offer seems like a lot of money. How highly do you guys think the Spurs rate Langford.

I am also pretty surprised that the Spurs let Johnson walk. I thought he could have been part of the team going forward. Oh well, on to the next young prospect I guess.

JeffDuncan
02-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Is it common knowledge he wanted to go to a contender?

It is common knowledge that ALL the players want to play for a contender.

I would think he should be focusing on getting his next contract, not sitting on the bench on a good team.

He can sit on the bench of a good team, without a contract, you say? How does that work?

The Spurs signed Stanley Johnson to a Rest of Season, Minimum contract on December 13. He was not trade eligible until March 13. Three months.

KBD and Roby are on regular contracts.

The Spurs cut Stanley to open a roster spot, obviously. We’ll hear all about it in the near future, I’m sure.

Going back to the original post, where Shams wrote, “will now look to join a postseason contender” all Shams was doing was kissing the Spurs’ ass. It was just a little thing to put a positive spin on the Spurs releasing Stanley. It’s part of the job description for guys like Woj, Shams, etc, to kiss the teams’ ass. That’s how they get teams to tell them things so they can be first to tweet it.

You really should already know this.

As for the idea of Stanley asking out, you know where that idea came from? It came from right here in this forum, in this thread, from our very own KingKev.

He fabricated it. He made it up.

Then others repeated that, as if it was authentic. Buncha morons, geez.

The Spurs cut Stanley to open a roster spot, and chose him because he wasn’t even on a regular contract.

rankingtear
02-13-2023, 06:49 AM
Wink wink deal with MIA. Makes sense of just dumping Dedmon for a way into the future second rounder.

exstatic
02-13-2023, 07:06 AM
Is it common knowledge he wanted to go to a contender? I would think he should be focusing on getting his next contract, not sitting on the bench on a good team.

If he goes to Cleveland, he’ll probably be in the rotation. Their wings are awful.

Spurs Homer
02-13-2023, 08:30 AM
Why do you hate Malaki?

You don't like Langford? I understand he's out injured quite often and also a bit passive offensively, but I think he's pretty intriguing prospect defensively and could also have some potential offensively. I'd like to give him more time. If he can stay injury free, I'd love to see what he can do with more court time. Not sure what the Spurs will do with him due to his contract, though, as that qualifying offer seems like a lot of money. How highly do you guys think the Spurs rate Langford.

I am also pretty surprised that the Spurs let Johnson walk. I thought he could have been part of the team going forward. Oh well, on to the next young prospect I guess.

maybe HATE is not the correct word…

And i know he is a rookie with promise

but he cannot hit 3’s
i just say “miss” every time he gets ready to shoot a 3 as he hits a 3 every 10th or 15th attempt and misses all the other tines he tries

exstatic
02-13-2023, 08:33 AM
maybe HATE is not the correct word…

And i know he is a rookie with promise

but he cannot hit 3’s
i just say “miss” every time he gets ready to shoot a 3 as he hits a 3 every 10th or 15th attempt and misses all the other tines he tries

He’s shooting 30%, which is up from like 18% at the beginning of the year. Every 15th attempt would be between 6 and 7 percent.

The Truth #6
02-13-2023, 09:13 AM
It is common knowledge that ALL the players want to play for a contender.

He can sit on the bench of a good team, without a contract, you say? How does that work?

The Spurs signed Stanley Johnson to a Rest of Season, Minimum contract on December 13. He was not trade eligible until March 13. Three months.

KBD and Roby are on regular contracts.

The Spurs cut Stanley to open a roster spot, obviously. We’ll hear all about it in the near future, I’m sure.

Going back to the original post, where Shams wrote, “will now look to join a postseason contender” all Shams was doing was kissing the Spurs’ ass. It was just a little thing to put a positive spin on the Spurs releasing Stanley. It’s part of the job description for guys like Woj, Shams, etc, to kiss the teams’ ass. That’s how they get teams to tell them things so they can be first to tweet it.

You really should already know this.

As for the idea of Stanley asking out, you know where that idea came from? It came from right here in this forum, in this thread, from our very own KingKev.

He fabricated it. He made it up.

Then others repeated that, as if it was authentic. Buncha morons, geez.

The Spurs cut Stanley to open a roster spot, and chose him because he wasn’t even on a regular contract.

You assume a lot. Most players want to have a career and make money, and being on a contender is nice but not if it affects their career. Stanley is barely in the league. He’s more likely to get another contract if he’s actually playing, like he was in San Antonio.

We’ll see who the Spurs prioritize next. If it’s someone better than Stanley, great. But in my opinion, there can be other factors too that aren’t made clear yet.

exstatic
02-13-2023, 09:29 AM
You assume a lot. Most players want to have a career and make money, and being on a contender is nice but not if it affects their career. Stanley is barely in the league. He’s more likely to get another contract if he’s actually playing, like he was in San Antonio.

We’ll see who the Spurs prioritize next. If it’s someone better than Stanley, great. But in my opinion, there can be other factors too that aren’t made clear yet.

Timvp said the spot would be used to convert Bassey.

The Truth #6
02-13-2023, 10:10 AM

Then that makes sense.

John B
02-13-2023, 10:32 AM

Honestly I like Stanley than Roby. Stanley even defends the best players at times. Very unlikely, but I hope he finds his way back with the Spurs.

donaldsonian
02-13-2023, 12:08 PM
Honestly I like Stanley than Roby. Stanley even defends the best players at times. Very unlikely, but I hope he finds his way back with the Spurs.

Same, he was definitely a serviceable player to have and young enough to fit in beyond this year. Oh well.

Spurs Homer
02-13-2023, 12:38 PM
He’s shooting 30%, which is up from like 18% at the beginning of the year. Every 15th attempt would be between 6 and 7 percent.

30 fucking percent

i SHOULD hate him more!

fucking horrible

Fusternino
02-13-2023, 01:02 PM
Jonathon Simmons tweeting, clamoring for the Spurs to sign him . . .

JPB
02-13-2023, 01:09 PM

He's been pimping himself all over the league these past few days... Phoenix, Memphis and now SA.

playbonner15
02-13-2023, 06:25 PM
He's been pimping himself all over the league these past few days... Phoenix, Memphis and now SA.
Mans got bills to pay

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-13-2023, 08:36 PM

My thoughts too. I’d of released either of those two ahead of Johnson.

timtonymanu
02-13-2023, 09:04 PM
Poor guy was doing all the right things but still couldn’t stick with the team.

Ice009
02-13-2023, 10:30 PM
30 fucking percent

i SHOULD hate him more!

fucking horrible

Fair enough. I have also noticed he can't shoot threes too well. I really like him, but I am also thinking the same thing every time he shoots a three. I wonder if his shooting form is what is causing his three point issues. He's fine inside the arc, but that form (to me) isn't a very good form for accuracy from long distance IMO. The shots comes out looking too flat.

Is he really? What is he saying? How long has he been out of the league? I thought he washed out a few years ago. Don't remember.

Mr. Body
02-13-2023, 10:32 PM
Poor guy was doing all the right things but still couldn’t stick with the team.

He was released for his own benefit.

KingKev
02-13-2023, 10:36 PM
My favourite part of Spurstalk is members extrapolating deep bench players as useful members of our next dynasty.

Atl Spur
02-13-2023, 11:02 PM
My favourite part of Spurstalk is members extrapolating deep bench players as useful members of our next dynasty.

Lies! That’s not your favorite part!! Lol

KingKev
02-13-2023, 11:04 PM
Lies! That’s not your favorite part!! Lol

truuuuu I just tagged you in it!

Uriel
03-04-2023, 08:52 AM
This guy really asked to be released, only for no one to pick him up?

wildbill2u
03-04-2023, 04:07 PM
This guy really asked to be released, only for no one to pick him up?

"A Man's gotta know his limitations." Dirty Harry

stephen jackson
03-05-2023, 05:54 PM
I was wondering where he signed

Jordan Jackson
03-05-2023, 06:58 PM
I was wondering where he signed

Probably the Xinjiang Flying Tigers at this rate.

ace3g
12-05-2023, 06:10 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/1732169927589519795

scott
12-05-2023, 08:36 PM
Man, wonder what really happened with ol' Stanley. The story we all thought was that he was released so he could latch on with a playoff team, but starting to wonder if he had some kind of issue (locker room?) and Pop blackballed him.

exstatic
12-06-2023, 05:21 AM
Man, wonder what really happened with ol' Stanley. The story we all thought was that he was released so he could latch on with a playoff team, but starting to wonder if he had some kind of issue (locker room?) and Pop blackballed him.

He might have wanted to catch on with a playoff team, but didn’t have anything specific lined up. I doubt there were any issues, unless he’s a total moron. This was very much a last chance for him, and he did very well. Burning bridges would have made no sense.

John B
12-06-2023, 08:12 AM
I thought Stanley was released so the Spurs could sign Champagnie.

JeffDuncan
12-06-2023, 11:02 AM

Bassey. Johnson was waived on Feb 12, Bassey was converted from two-way to regular contract on Feb 14.

rjv
12-06-2023, 11:07 AM
i was wondering why this was bumped.

exstatic
12-06-2023, 11:12 AM

They converted Bassey's 2way after Stanley's release, and two days before they claimed Champagnie.

koriwhat
12-06-2023, 03:11 PM
Man, wonder what really happened with ol' Stanley.

Just speculating but maybe he was giving Pop's ear the SJax treatment...