View Full Version : Grades: Spurs at Cavs - Feb. 13, 2023

timvp
02-14-2023, 02:53 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-cavaliers-grades-58/

Another good loss...

:danceclub

Mr. Body
02-14-2023, 05:48 AM
A lot to like with this one. Looked like they were going to get stomped but they fought back.

Sochan struggled with their length.

Collins struggled with their size.

Branham can really score. That cut into the lane kate in the game, he handled Mobley (I think) very easily, going for a reverse. He's much further than I thought he'd be two months ago.

Wesley showed flashes of how he can work. Still needs to solve what to do when he drives.

I like Barlow. He has a good sense of what to do and works hard.

Great to see Bassey. Honestly felt like Poeltl checked out. It seems like Bassey cleans up the boards much better. The ball just sticks in his hands. This was a Cleveland lineup that's hard to handle but he did pretty well.

KingKev
02-14-2023, 08:47 AM
Keldon was horrible on defense. He is always caught looking and never positioned for a rebound. If he can’t expand his game in other impactful ways I can’t see how he fits long term outside of being a high energy guy off the bench.

Branham is really exceeding expectations; I think he is really going to give Vassell a run for that starting 2 guard position next year.

rjv
02-14-2023, 11:41 AM
good to see bassey back in the fold and more of barlow. i'm liking branham more each game.

RC_Drunkford
02-14-2023, 11:43 AM
Branham is averaging the most points among all rookies in the month of february. Kid is super underrated

John B
02-14-2023, 11:45 AM
After playing SG the game before along Tre, Branham went back to PG last night and played with more aggressiveness for an 18 pts. I think Branham will continue to play combo guard sharing ball handling responsibility with Tre. I know sometimes Garland bothered him, but he needs to play through it to get better. Let’s see what lies ahead when Vassell comes back.

Collins had a tougher night controlling Jarrett, and Bassey/Barlow helped somewhat. I like Barlow’s athleticism despite the rawness. It’s fortunate the Spurs are in rebuilding and they are able to give him minutes. Likewise Blake. He is fast and fearless. I can’t wait for him to polish his game.

Graham is a very good ballhandler and streak shooter. I see him as easy points from the bench.

KBD played well. But if somebody offers him next off season, I think they will let him walk. He is auditioning for his next contract and Pop is doing him solid imo.

wildbill2u
02-14-2023, 01:08 PM
KBD is so damn inconsistent. Sometimes he just looks hopeless and other games he plays well on most fronts. He especially frustrates me when he drives to the basket and doesn't score or get fouled. It looks like this was one of those games where this wasn't a problem. AAARRRGH!

Branham keeps shooting the ball with a very low release. I'm not sure he is going to be getting those shots off against a defender who plays up close on him. If the league gets this flaw as part of "the book" on his offensive skills, then he's gonna have problems. Bring that ball up and shoot over the defense young man.

I hope Barlow and Bassey stay on the roster for the rest of the year and get some good minutes. It looks like Pop is gonna do that and give them the chance to show what they can do. I don't see any point in playing Dieng any more if we want to give them some minutes to develop. Tip of the hat to Dieng and good wishes if they cut him.

buttsR4rebounding
02-14-2023, 01:17 PM
After playing SG the game before along Tre, Branham went back to PG last night and played with more aggressiveness for an 18 pts. I think Branham will continue to play combo guard sharing ball handling responsibility with Tre. I know sometimes Garland bothered him, but he needs to play through it to get better. Let’s see what lies ahead when Vassell comes back.

Collins had a tougher night controlling Jarrett, and Bassey/Barlow helped somewhat. I like Barlow’s athleticism despite the rawness. It’s fortunate the Spurs are in rebuilding and they are able to give him minutes. Likewise Blake. He is fast and fearless. I can’t wait for him to polish his game.

Graham is a very good ballhandler and streak shooter. I see him as easy points from the bench.

KBD played well. But if somebody offers him next off season, I think they will let him walk. He is auditioning for his next contract and Pop is doing him solid imo.

As far as I'm concerned Branham shows so much more potential than Tre that he should be the starting PG the rest of the season. Tre has always been thought of as a good long term back-up PG. Putting him in that role right now likely reduces the price to re-sign him. Collins, as well, is a good long term back up center. I like his game, but he abused by anyone with some size.

John B
02-14-2023, 01:27 PM
I don't see any point in playing Dieng any more if we want to give them some minutes to develop. Tip of the hat to Dieng and good wishes if they cut him.

He’s a very good locker room presence to the youngsters. You see him giving the pep talks every game. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dieng turns out to be an assistant coach. I think PATFO likes him at that role. What else is the reason waiving him then resigning and barely playing, and seeing him in the huddles giving motivation?

timvp
02-14-2023, 01:53 PM
Branham keeps shooting the ball with a very low release. I'm not sure he is going to be getting those shots off against a defender who plays up close on him. If the league gets this flaw as part of "the book" on his offensive skills, then he's gonna have problems. Bring that ball up and shoot over the defense young man.

This is going to be an interesting subplot the rest of the season and next season, tbh. Branham has a really low release but it's also really quick. I'm not sure which way it will go. It's a close call, tbh.

I remember scouts saying Steph Curry would be a bust because his release point was too low. That turned out to be non-issue because he just quickened his release.

Then again, Branham's release isn't just low ... it's also out in front of his body. Shall be interesting.

exstatic
02-14-2023, 02:23 PM
KBD is so damn inconsistent. Sometimes he just looks hopeless and other games he plays well on most fronts. He especially frustrates me when he drives to the basket and doesn't score or get fouled. It looks like this was one of those games where this wasn't a problem. AAARRRGH!

I hope Barlow and Bassey stay on the roster for the rest of the year and get some good minutes. It looks like Pop is gonna do that and give them the chance to show what they can do. I don't see any point in playing Dieng any more if we want to give them some minutes to develop. Tip of the hat to Dieng and good wishes if they cut him.
If you crowd Branham, he’ll put the ball on the floor, go by you, and shoot off the bounce.

John B
02-14-2023, 02:40 PM
Doug McD also has low release almost a dart, but quick.

John B
02-14-2023, 02:43 PM
If you crowd Branham, he’ll put the ball on the floor, go by you, and shoot off the bounce.

Interesting how Branham doesn’t really have the quick first step. He got that old man game, just knows how to score.

KingKev
02-14-2023, 03:03 PM
Doug McD also has low release almost a dart, but quick.

McD is two to three inches taller though. Branham already has enough junknin his game to create space however.

exstatic
02-14-2023, 04:05 PM
Interesting how Branham doesn’t really have the quick first step. He got that old man game, just knows how to score.

He understands how to find, and even create space for his shot. Very advanced stuff for a late first round rookie.

rjv
02-14-2023, 05:27 PM

that's why i keep seeing a little joe dumars in him, offensively.

heyheymymy
02-14-2023, 05:54 PM
Pretty cool first sochan and now branham kinda getting interesting too.

Tons to watch this season, I don't understand the griping over Ls these games have been pretty fun to watch from a developmental standpoint and even some exciting play at times too. Not too brutal when every L leads to better odds of top talent.

John B
02-14-2023, 06:23 PM
Pretty cool first sochan and now branham kinda getting interesting too.

Tons to watch this season, I don't understand the griping over Ls these games have been pretty fun to watch from a developmental standpoint and even some exciting play at times too. Not too brutal when every L leads to better odds of top talent.

Exactly.

rascal
02-14-2023, 06:25 PM

Spurs need more explosive scorers on the team. Watching them is watching a team play in quicksand. Spurs are boring and weak in overall talent right now. Worst Spur roster ever at this time.

XDT76
02-14-2023, 07:17 PM
Keldon was horrible on defense. He is always caught looking and never positioned for a rebound. If he can’t expand his game in other impactful ways I can’t see how he fits long term outside of being a high energy guy off the bench.

Branham is really exceeding expectations; I think he is really going to give Vassell a run for that starting 2 guard position next year.

To be fair due to his own limitation he is always suited more to be off the bench

KingKev
02-14-2023, 07:23 PM
To be fair due to his own limitation he is always suited more to be off the bench

His tweener frame and piss poor defense dictate that of a bench bench player at the 3 or 4; matchup dependent. Regardless what position he plays he needs to find other ways to impact the game. Even as a bench player if that, 3pt shot isn’t 40% he is a rounding error on a winning team.

spurraider21
02-14-2023, 07:32 PM
Spurs need more explosive scorers on the team. Watching them is watching a team play in quicksand. Spurs are boring and weak in overall talent right now. Worst Spur roster ever at this time.
its a given. since the end of the 2021 season we sign and traded Derozan for future draft capital, and traded Derrick White for draft capital, and then trade DeJounte Murray for picks. now we traded jakob for picks.

its intentional

keeping #2/3 option types like murray, solid starters like White/Poeltl without having a legit #1 doesnt really do anything but prevent you from getting the high quality picks that increase your odds of finding those #1 types in the draft. bottom out, get as many of those dart throws as you can in the process

best guess is keldon gets traded before his current contract expires too

John B
02-14-2023, 07:44 PM
its a given. since the end of the 2021 season we sign and traded Derozan for future draft capital, and traded Derrick White for draft capital, and then trade DeJounte Murray for picks. now we traded jakob for picks.

its intentional

keeping #2/3 option types like murray, solid starters like White/Poeltl without having a legit #1 doesnt really do anything but prevent you from getting the high quality picks that increase your odds of finding those #1 types in the draft. bottom out, get as many of those dart throws as you can in the process

best guess is keldon gets traded before his current contract expires too

I’m sure that has been posted over and over, still people will not or refuse to get it. I’ve given up :lol

Mr. Body
02-14-2023, 08:15 PM

The San Antonio Spurs have literally never had an 'explosive scorer' on their roster and have five championships.

KingKev
02-14-2023, 08:24 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have literally never had an 'explosive scorer' on their roster and have five championships.

Put some respekt on DDR name

Mr. Body
02-14-2023, 08:32 PM
Put some respekt on DDR name

He means more a run and jump Bambi type. Lonnie was closer to what he wants.

rascal
02-14-2023, 11:24 PM

Gervin

Maddog
02-15-2023, 08:19 AM
Gervin

Ice wasn't the most explosive scorer-

K...
02-15-2023, 08:30 AM
Didnt we have Tracy Mcgrady? I remember he scored like 13 points in 30 seconds in a San antonio game. I remember how exsplosive that felt.

tonight...you
02-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Gervin
And boy, he sure did contribute to those championships!

rascal
02-15-2023, 11:58 AM
Ice wasn't the most explosive scorer-

He sure was, could score 20 in a quarter easily.