PDA

View Full Version : Auction for Once In a Lifetime Card Goes Live

alamo50
12-02-2005, 05:06 AM
Nov 30 2005 4:26PM

Check out the eBay auction for this legendary card! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8731418204)

http://www.beckett.com/images/news/cobb-ruth-BGS.jpg

http://www.beckett.com/images/news/wagner-johnson-BGS.jpg

Upper Deck Card Features Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, and Walter Johnson Signatures

DALLAS (November 30, 2005) --- Barry Scott of Guntown, Mississippi, pulled a once in a lifetime card at his local hobby shop, Sportscards, on November 9, and today he is offering collectors their own once in a lifetime experience through an online auction launched at 5 p.m. CST today. The card, a product of the 2005 SP Legendary Cuts from Upper Deck, features the signatures of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, and Walter Johnson, four of the five member of the inaugural baseball Hall of Fame.

Scott contacted Beckett Media LP, publisher of Beckett Baseball, the leading information source on baseball cards to assist him with the auction. Additional information and links to the auction can be found at www.beckett.com.

"Right now I am nervous and excited. I have heard a number of different possible sale prices. I am just trying to not get ahead of myself. I don't want to spend any of the money before I have it. I would love to keep the card for myself but right now the best thing for me to do is offer it to another collector who can enjoy it as much as I have," said Barry Scott. "I don't have any specific plans for the money other than to pay off some debt and make sure my family has a very good Christmas."

When he opened the pack the significance of the card was not lost on Scott who became weak in the knees the moment he saw the Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb signatures. Upon realizing the card also featured Honus Wagner and Walter Johnson signatures Scott put the card in his local bank's safety deposit box while he evaluated his options.

"This is one of the most significant pulls in the history of our industry," said Gregg Kohn, Product Development Manager for Baseball at Upper Deck. "These four players are widely considered to be among the most historically relevant pre-World War II Hall of Famers. They were also among four of the first five players inducted in the inaugural class at the Hall."

Beckett Price Guide editors estimate the initial value of the card at $20,000. According to Scott, a Mississippi collector has already offered him $50,000 for the card. Scott has spent the last two days participating in media interviews on local and nationally syndicated radio shows as well as national TV appearances discussing his unique story. The auction will close on Saturday, December 10.

If you weren't lucky enough to pull this one of a kind card check out these options at the Beckett Marketplace: Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson items.

For further information contact: Elon Werner, Director of Communications 972.448.9034, [email protected]

Link (http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?eskin=beckett&a=6527&s=1)

:wow

CosmicCowboy
12-02-2005, 09:25 AM
OK...card collectors need to explain something to me...all those guys are dead and it's not really their signature...

whats the big deal?

alamo50
12-02-2005, 09:28 AM
:lol

You can bet your ass those sigs are real.

batman2883
12-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Some people are fucking stupid trying to spend that much money on something like that, however i would give my left arm, leg and nut, if i could get an autograph ball by manu and TD

alamo50
12-02-2005, 09:34 AM
I'll trade you my Manu signed bball for your keyboard.

batman2883
12-02-2005, 09:37 AM
How do you know i have a keyboard?

KEDA
12-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Those sigs are most definatley the real deal.

SpursWoman
12-02-2005, 10:19 AM

:lmao

FromWayDowntown
12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
OK...card collectors need to explain something to me...all those guys are dead and it's not really their signature...

whats the big deal?

The card manufacturers have gone and found pieces signed by these guys -- letters, checks, contracts, other sorts of documents -- and have removed the authentic signatures from the documents for placement on the cards. That's part of the reason the cards are produced in such low numbers. There are only a few available autographs from each guy that can be used for purposes like this one.

Since there's only 1 copy of this card, I'd think that the $40,000 price for it this morning might increase by at least 3 or 4 times that figure by the time the auction is over. If you get some of the millionaire collecting freaks involved, it might go much higher than that.

ShoogarBear
12-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Boy, I'd be pissed if I was Christy Mathewson.

I'd also be dead, too, I guess.

You know what would be worth real money? All five signatures on the same ball.

alamo50
12-09-2005, 04:49 AM
The bidding is up to 85k with a day to go!

MaNuMaNiAc
12-09-2005, 04:55 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif :lmao