PDA

View Full Version : The Scoot Henderson Thread

Dejounte
02-18-2023, 06:21 PM
SALT LAKE CITY — Scoot Henderson will have a ready guide to show him around San Antonio should the Spurs wind up drafting him in June.
“I know him pretty well,” Spurs rookie forward Jeremy Sochan said. “He is pretty cool.”
Considered a transformative prospect second only to French star Victor Wembanyama in this year’s deep crop of future stars, Henderson got to know Sochan last summer at the “The Sanctuary,” the National Basketball Players Association’s performance retreat in Spain.
SUBSCRIBE: ONLY 99¢!
ACT NOW

“We were in the gym together, we went out to restaurants together and did stuff,” Sochan said.
The two reunited Friday night in Salt Lake City, where they squared off in the Rising Stars Challenge at All-Star Weekend.
Sochan played for a team made up of rookie and second-year NBA players. Henderson was part of a G League squad representing the Ignite, a developmental team based out of Henderson, Nevada, that allows elite prospects to play professionally before they are eligible for the draft. Sochan’s team prevailed 40-32 to advance to the finals of the mini-tournament.
Sochan had six points on 3-of-4 shooting to go along with one rebound, one assist and one steal. Henderson finished with 4 points, two assists and two steals. He was 1 for 5 from the floor.
Before the game, they caught up with each other.

“I think Jeremy is a great person, really goofy, really fun,” Henderson said.
Sochan and Henderson could meet again this summer should the Spurs wind up selecting the 6-foot-2 guard from Marietta, Ga.
Left with a 14-45 record at the All-Star break after losing a franchise-record 14th game in a row last Wednesday in Charlotte, the Spurs rank as the second-worst team in the league behind Houston (13-45). The teams that finish the regular season with the three worst records each have a 14 percent chance of winning the lottery.
If the Spurs draft first, they are expected to snatch up Wembanyama. If they were to pick second, Henderson would be among their options.
That means the Spurs are on his radar.

“They have a lot of young guys to compete in the next few years, so it will be dope to see them grow as a team,” Henderson said of the Spurs.
One of those “young guys” is Sochan, who is 19 like Henderson and is enjoying an impressive rookie season averaging 10 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.5 assists.
“His game, he can do it all,” Henderson said of Sochan. “He can stretch the court, he can dunk on somebody, he can shoot it as well, he can lock up on defense. His game is growing. You can tell he is working.”
The same is true of Henderson, who has embraced the franchise-player expectations placed on him.
“It’s a great position to be in, and I’m going to stay confident throughout the process and enjoy myself as well,” he said. “I don’t think it’s (about) proving myself. It’s just going out there and doing my job every single time down the court. Every time I’m on the court just give it up, give it my all.”

It’s not surprising Henderson and Sochan would become friends. They both have independent streaks with little concern about what others think of them.
While they are honored by comparisons to NBA stars past and present — Sochan to Dennis Rodman and Draymond Green; Henderson to Derrick Rose, Donovan Mitchell and Russell Westbrook — they strive to be their own person.
“I want to be myself, my own player, to where people are saying the next upcoming guy is like Scoot Henderson,” he said.

Henderson also isn’t ready to take a backseat to Wembanyama, saying he sees himself as the No. 1 pick.
“I just keep swiping, keep going,” Henderson said when he comes upon social media items about the eagerness of teams to select Wembanyama No. 1.

“I don’t (care) what other people’s opinions are. I just control what I can control and giving it my all when I work out and producing on the court. I know I have a chance to go number one.”
Henderson’s numbers with G League Ignite aren’t special. In his final season of a two-year, $1 million deal, he’s averaging 17.1 points on 45.5 percent shooting along with 5.9 assists and 4.5 rebound. But he is confident he will become a dominant player in the NBA.
“I think I’ll be that, for sure,” he said. “I can’t speak on what Victor is going to be. Of course, he has tremendous upside with his length and his ability to score in all areas and play defense. But I control what I control. I want to be that.”
The Rockets are another team Henderson knows he could wind up with. Like the Spurs, Houston is loaded with young players, including 21-year-old guard Jalen Green, who was the second pick of the 2021 draft after a season starring for G League Ignite.
“I think it would be a good experience to go through, to play with young guys,” Henderson said of possibly playing for Houston. That’s what the Ignite is about as well, to play with a mixture of age groups.”
“Seeing Jalen go No. 2 definitely kind of just put that confidence in me to put my trust in the Ignite and trust in that path.”
It’s a path that could lead eventually lead him to San Antonio and another reunion with Sochan.

Dejounte
02-18-2023, 06:22 PM
The “control what I can control” quote— this guy sounds like a Spur.

JPB
02-18-2023, 07:13 PM
ITV overall is OK, and being ambitious and self confident is fine, but I'm never a big fan of players who seem to think and claim they can always be the best and beat anyone... I see some Westbrook there. You also have to stay humble and lucid, and while I'm sure he truly believes he could still go #1, he should be aware there's no way it happens now, no matter how hard he tries.

Dejounte
02-18-2023, 07:36 PM
ITV overall is OK, and being ambitious and self confident is fine, but I'm never a big fan of players who seem to think and claim they can always be the best and beat anyone... I see some Westbrook there. You also have to stay humble and lucid, and while I'm sure he truly believes he could still go #1, he should be aware there's no way it happens now, no matter how hard he tries.

I’m not so sure that’s an example of “humble and lucid”. To me, that’s a defeatist mentality and isn’t healthy ground for cultivating the best out of one’s ability. It’s the same way people here scream at players whenever they’re trying to win. Of course they’re going to try to win. It’s like they want the souls sucked out of these players. Players will always play to win. Great players will always have the mentality to want to be the best.

JPB
02-18-2023, 08:18 PM
I’m not so sure that’s an example of “humble and lucid”. To me, that’s a defeatist mentality and isn’t healthy ground for cultivating the best out of one’s ability. It’s the same way people here scream at players whenever they’re trying to win. Of course they’re going to try to win. It’s like they want the souls sucked out of these players. Players will always play to win. Great players will always have the mentality to want to be the best.

That was the whole point. Ofc you wanna try to be the best you can as an athlet, that's the base to succeed and not even a topic of debate... But you always have to stay lucid and not believe you ARE the universal shit, like so many young guys do nowadays, living their own cult, not looking around or listening to external advice... NBA history is full of these kind of players who never made any introspection work (Westbrook, Carmelo...)

We already have indications about Scoot's personality and I don't like the fact he genuinely believes he can pass Wemby, which everyone on the planet knows is not gonna happen, specially with the meh season Scoot is having. I mean, not like he was killing it. Being confident is one thing, overconfident another, kind of the way he went to posterize Wemby during the Vegas game to prove a point, only to get flattened like an pancake.

Leetonidas
02-18-2023, 08:30 PM
I like Scoot. He has a very no nonsense mentality and seems very mature for his age. Obviously Wemby is the main hope but I wouldn't be too upset if we ended up with Scoot instead

Ariel
02-18-2023, 08:40 PM
Honestly, he comes across better in this interview than I had pictured. Somewhat egocentric, sure, but seems focused and willing to put in the effort. I liked the part about the Spurs, shoots down the claims he avoided going to Austin to send a message to the Spurs that he didn't want to get drafted by them. Not every player is both hyper competitive and likable as Manu, but as long as he'd be a willing and committed Spur, and channel his ego into self improvement (a la Kobe), that's all we can ask for.

Mr. Body
02-18-2023, 08:45 PM
But he is confident he will become a dominant player in the NBA.
“I think I’ll be that, for sure,” he said.

Didn't Shaeden Sharpe say the same thing? These AAU gods have no idea what's coming for them, lol.

BatManu20
02-18-2023, 10:11 PM
He’d be an amazing consolation prize tbh. Not even sure I’d call him that. Spurs would be incredibly lucky to land the #2 overall pick. With that said, I’m fully expecting us from drop out of the top-4 tbh. :lol

Dex
02-18-2023, 11:30 PM
With the 3rd pick in the NBA draft, the San Antonio Spurs select....Whothefuck Isthat?

SPURt
02-19-2023, 12:18 AM
He jumped out of the gate looking crazy good. He faded after that. His shot looked hella flat too. To the people that watch him regularly, is that how he shoots?

spursparker9
02-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Just get Victor please

John B
02-19-2023, 01:08 AM
Just aim for the star and not get cute with it’s okay to settle for number 2.

Uriel
02-19-2023, 07:30 AM
Friendly reminder that even if we lose all our remaining games for the rest of the season, there is a 75% chance we will wind up with neither Wembanyama nor Henderson.

ambchang
02-19-2023, 08:10 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZLv__8u7KJQ/sddefault.jpg

Dverde
02-19-2023, 09:04 AM
Amen looks legit too. We just need a top three pick or it’s gonna be such a let down.

Rocalcio
02-19-2023, 09:40 AM
I already noticed that his numbers weren’t that impressive in the G-League. I’m really not high on him so far, maybe he’ll prove me wrong.

offset formation
02-19-2023, 11:26 AM
The “control what I can control” quote— this guy sounds like a Spur.

You don't think he's a crave-the-limelight guy? Not that neph is that guy (seems like he just wanted to go home) but him wanting out underscored how quickly and thoroughly your all star leaving can tank a franchise, even one ad solid as the spurs.

IMO, this next draft pick could make or break the organization. We'll undoubtedly get better next season with a Scoot but likely with a borderline play-in ceiling. A few years of that is problematic especially if at the end Scoot decides he needs to be in LA or NY or back home in ATL, like neph did.

Just saying, spurs better **really** get a sense for this dude's personality.

BacktoBasics
02-19-2023, 11:49 AM
That was the whole point. Ofc you wanna try to be the best you can as an athlet, that's the base to succeed and not even a topic of debate... But you always have to stay lucid and not believe you ARE the universal shit, like so many young guys do nowadays, living their own cult, not looking around or listening to external advice... NBA history is full of these kind of players who never made any introspection work (Westbrook, Carmelo...)

We already have indications about Scoot's personality and I don't like the fact he genuinely believes he can pass Wemby, which everyone on the planet knows is not gonna happen, specially with the meh season Scoot is having. I mean, not like he was killing it. Being confident is one thing, overconfident another, kind of the way he went to posterize Wemby during the Vegas game to prove a point, only to get flattened like an pancake.
Why would you not like that?

You want the second best player in the draft to lack the confidence to believe that he's better than the guy ahead of him?

I love his confidence. He's not arrogant or pompous. Just believes in himself.

Mr. Body
02-19-2023, 12:01 PM
Why would you not like that?

You want the second best player in the draft to lack the confidence to believe that he's better than the guy ahead of him?

I love his confidence. He's not arrogant or pompous. Just believes in himself.

Saying he will definitely be dominant in the NBA is definitely arrogant and pompous, lol.

Kurik
02-19-2023, 12:17 PM
Nothing wrong with arrogance from a top prospect, I care more about his body language on the court and how he interacts with his teammates. I’m not in love with Scoot or his game but the potential is undeniable. Everything I’ve read is that he’s pretty well liked by his team and studies a lot of film.

Mr. Body
02-19-2023, 12:30 PM
Everything wrong with a teenager saying he's going to crush the league. LMAO at this phony-ass Karadashian American culture y'all have. No wonder we elected Donald Trump. We think someone running their mouth is a good thing. :lol

BackHome
02-19-2023, 12:52 PM
Oh Lort we picking a Basketball player we are not picking a President or CEO - :flag:

MultiTroll
02-19-2023, 01:04 PM
Sounds like a pathetic cementhead who's been badly mislead.
Unreal how badly Kobme Bryant damaged basketball.

https://cdn10.connected-stories.com/workspaces/155/Creative%20Refresh/source_161909_799653%20(2).mp4/sd.mp4

Kurik
02-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Everything wrong with a teenager saying he's going to crush the league. LMAO at this phony-ass Karadashian American culture y'all have. No wonder we elected Donald Trump. We think someone running their mouth is a good thing. :lol

Love how people twist words and don’t see how similar they are to Trump.

KingKev
02-19-2023, 01:18 PM
Kawhi Leonard forcing his way out really hurt Spurs fans lol

Ariel
02-19-2023, 01:27 PM
Some of the most recent politically correct Spurs on the surface, ended up being perverts and abusers. So I wouldn't be so quick to make judgments either way. Nothing he said so far seems like a deal breaker to me, lets cut him some slack now, so that when we pick at no. 3 or below we all rejoice at how convenient it was that we avoided such a cancer. :lol

K...
02-19-2023, 01:50 PM
You don't think he's a crave-the-limelight guy? Not that neph is that guy (seems like he just wanted to go home) but him wanting out underscored how quickly and thoroughly your all star leaving can tank a franchise, even one ad solid as the spurs.

IMO, this next draft pick could make or break the organization. We'll undoubtedly get better next season with a Scoot but likely with a borderline play-in ceiling. A few years of that is problematic especially if at the end Scoot decides he needs to be in LA or NY or back home in ATL, like neph did.

Just saying, spurs better **really** get a sense for this dude's personality.

Kawhi Leonard forcing his way out really hurt Spurs fans lol

spot off from KEV, it's a real CUCK mentality to think all high level prospects will force their way out. Even if it happens we have the chance to get good returns for trading a seasoned Scoot. the city isn't worse than others in the second tier and you don't see random scrubs forcing themselves out like leonard. it was unique blend of abusive uncle, early sucess, hubristic coaching ,and autisic spectrum. The spurs dealth with whiny LMA and derozan just fine, getting a good mix of contribution and return on their time here. they got good to great value with psuedo star murray and role player white and poertle.

offset formation
02-19-2023, 02:00 PM
spot off from KEV, it's a real CUCK mentality to think all high level prospects will force their way out. Even if it happens we have the chance to get good returns for trading a seasoned Scoot. the city isn't worse than others in the second tier and you don't see random scrubs forcing themselves out like leonard. it was unique blend of abusive uncle, early sucess, hubristic coaching ,and autisic spectrum. The spurs dealth with whiny LMA and derozan just fine, getting a good mix of contribution and return on their time here. they got good to great value with psuedo star murray and role player white and poertle.

Oh Jesus it has nothing to do with cuck mentality and everything to do with whether or not the City will continue supporting a perennial doormat, or at best low end playoff team year after year after year. We're already about 5 or 6 years removed from any sort of relevancy. Where are we as a city/region supporting a mediocre one 15 years in when decisions about a new arena are made?

I'm simply saying drafting a guy who isn't coming back after a rookie contract does far more harm than short term boost, especially since we need so many pieces. So do your due diligence now.

BTW, there's a point that should be made crystal clear here. KingKev would live to see this team anywhere else besides here, especially Vegas. He makes no bones about it. From my perspective, I stop being a fan of the Spurs the millisecond they leave San Antonio or at worst Austin.

And at least show you're a truthful person by referring to LMA as something other than whiny. He handled himself perfectly in the face of being misused. And played another 4+ years here carrying the team through the post neph years.

K...
02-19-2023, 02:23 PM
Oh Jesus it has nothing to do with cuck mentality and everything to do with whether or not the City will continue supporting a perennial doormat, or at best low end playoff team year after year after year. We're already about 5 or 6 years removed from any sort of relevancy. Where are we as a city/region supporting a mediocre one 15 years in when decisions about a new arena are made?

I'm simply saying drafting a guy who isn't coming back after a rookie contract does far more harm than short term boost, especially since we need so many pieces. So do your due diligence now.

BTW, there's a point that should be made crystal clear here. KingKev would live to see this team anywhere else besides here, especially Vegas. He makes no bones about it. From my perspective, I stop being a fan of the Spurs the millisecond they leave San Antonio or at worst Austin.

And at least show you're a truthful person by referring to LMA as something other than whiny. He handled himself perfectly in the face of being misused. And played another 4+ years here carrying the team through the post neph years.

i talk all the time about prospects leaving, but i do it to people who argue "we just need to tank hard in the right year and we'll be back" that is so unrealistic it is not a serious arguments. The best way to stop a prospect from leaving is to build a robust team. aka a 3-7 year tank

scoot leaving would not kill the franchise. First of all it's very unlikely he will get to superstar level, that we wouldn't have a good team that would get him to stay, that he'd turn down a max extension, that the spurs wouldn't be able to trade for value. So many ifs that have to go right to get to the bad franshice level. I will admit, after leonard, paul george and anthony davis, i thought that players might get too upity, bad it hasn't become a regular thing.

what really kills franchise is extended middling prospects and not having cap space. It was good Josh primo had itchy shorts because he would have been an expensive middling player.

KobesAchilles
02-19-2023, 02:40 PM
I mean even if he does leave it won’t be until like 7 years down the line. Stupid to even be thinking about that. He will sign his rookie extension with us and then play at least 2 years before becoming disgruntled, if he ever does at all. So you have 7 years to build a semi-contender. That’s a fair time frame

Vince Carter's ankle
02-19-2023, 02:45 PM
a guy who isn't coming back after a rookie contract
How can he leave when only the Spurs have the right to give him a 5-year contract or match any other offer like the Suns did with Ayton last summer?

Dejounte
02-19-2023, 03:05 PM
There are character traits a player could have that could be perceived as negative from a PR point of view but sometimes it’s what drives them to be great. People get carried away too much with what a player says and does. As long as they’re not a shit human being, they are likely to be ok. I think it’s exaggerated how Spurs aim for “boy scout” type players, I think they try to go for guys who don’t get shook easily. Sochan has that trait, and so did Primo. It just so happens the latter had an appearance of someone who’s a good guy, but beneath the surface we found out he wasn’t. Another trait the Spurs aim for is leadership. So as long as Scoot has resilience and leadership, I think the Spurs will be interested.

PhantomDashCam
02-19-2023, 03:12 PM
The kid is undeniably talented. Just not sure this is who the Spurs would pick at 2.

https://youtu.be/91S8zMdbb7E

KingKev
02-19-2023, 03:17 PM
For the record I don’t want to see the Spurs move and think we are 3-5yrs away from that being a minuet chance if this franchise doesn’t adapt (which we slowly are) to this era of the NBA but that is a separate discussion. Although if they were to move Vegas and Vancouver would suit my personal interests as I’d still remain a fan.

That aside, there is enough protection and incentive in the CBA for rookies coming into the NBA to stick out their first 5-8 years. So unless this is Steve Francis saying I don’t want to go to Vancouver let’s not get so granular on assuming players personalities are ripe for jumping ship.

Dejounte
02-19-2023, 03:18 PM
Also, this is an unpopular opinion but I think the Spurs would be much more fun to watch with Scoot leading the way than Wemba. Kids try to model their game after someone they can play as and I don’t think anyone looks at Wemba and think they could play like him. Dude is a human cheat code. Of course, I acknowledge that the ceiling is higher with someone like Wemba and that he probably leads the team to more wins. I’m just saying this as a basketball junkie and what’s fun for me to watch when I’m watching a game. Scoot has some playground style handles and I love that.

K...
02-19-2023, 03:25 PM
i argued with Luka samanic that drafting players at 19 and 20 is not a good predicted at what their personality will be at 25 and so. ?Samanic obv was not a great prospect that warranted giving extra chances. But you should expect guys to mature over 5 yrs

Atl Spur
02-19-2023, 04:13 PM
This kid is tough and determined…… give me 4 more of him!

Atl Spur
02-19-2023, 04:17 PM
The kid is undeniably talented. Just not sure this is who the Spurs would pick at 2.

https://youtu.be/91S8zMdbb7E

This is who they better select!!!! Are we serious? This man is a hoops junkie!

wildbill2u
02-19-2023, 04:22 PM
Trying to predict what any human will do in future circumstances is a fool's game. We need only remember how close we were to losing Timmy to fucking Orlando for God's sake. But something in his character allowed him to be persuaded to stay in what was still seen as an pre-Big Three dynasty in a backwater town.

Still, the truth is even bleaker now for anyone coming into this franchise. We haven't won a damn thing lately and are unlikely to do so immediately after this draft no matter who we get. The fact is that even Super Stars usually take a while to bring a championship to their franchise after their draft (ref: Michael Jordan and LeBron).

But who knows, maybe our top draft choice marries one of Barkley's fabled San Antonio fat girls and decides to stay forever. Shit happens. So we won't worry about what might happen, but enjoy the entertainment of a team of young unproven talents and cheer them on in their development.

rascal
02-19-2023, 04:45 PM

Spurs need to draft the top prospects without fear.

ace3g
02-19-2023, 05:51 PM
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1627412207121100801

https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/1627424267745824770

https://twitter.com/Vator_H_Town/status/1627424980903272450

baseline bum
02-19-2023, 05:57 PM
Only way I'm not drafting Scoot #2 is if Wembanyama is still on the board.

PhantomDashCam
02-19-2023, 06:49 PM
Only way I'm not drafting Scoot #2 is if Wembanyama is still on the board.

Would you entertain a trade back scenario or do you think he's a can't miss prospect?

K...
02-19-2023, 06:51 PM
Would you entertain a trade back scenario or do you think he's a can't miss prospect?

we wont get value trading back unless a dumbass GM exists. And buddy we got the dumbass GM who is desperate to avoid a permanent tank. WE take scoot, 100%

Ariel
02-19-2023, 06:57 PM
One thing I noticed is that, in that video, he's not that much smaller than Jamal Crawford, who was measured at 6'4.5" w/o shoes (https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2000-01&dir=A&sort=PLAYER_NAME). Scoot is listed at 6'2", so that's probably his true height w/o shoes as well.

offset formation
02-19-2023, 07:12 PM
How can he leave when only the Spurs have the right to give him a 5-year contract or match any other offer like the Suns did with Ayton last summer?

You're clearly still living in the age where you think people honor contracts and play super hard to show how much they love being somewhere. **If** Scoot wants gone at the end of his rookie contract, Scoot will be gone at the end of his rookie contract, rules be damned. You know this.

offset formation
02-19-2023, 07:19 PM
Spurs need to draft the top prospects without fear.

I agree in general. But if a player shows you he's not long for your organization/City, you get more value now trading back for a "can't miss prospect" than being for forced into a trade later when, like neph, he tanked his value.

Listen, all I'm saying is IF pre-draft Intel says he is the kind of guy that wants to be in the spotlight, maaaaaybe you consider trading back when he'll net you the most value. You still pick up a solid player and continue the tank another year. Which you'd be doing in 4 yrs if that player bolts. No harm no foul in my mind.

tonight...you
02-19-2023, 07:34 PM
I agree in general. But if a player shows you he's not long for your organization/City, you get more value now trading back for a "can't miss prospect" than being for forced into a trade later when, like neph, he tanked his value.

Listen, all I'm saying is IF pre-draft Intel says he is the kind of guy that wants to be in the spotlight, maaaaaybe you consider trading back when he'll net you the most value. You still pick up a solid player and continue the tank another year. Which you'd be doing in 4 yrs if that player bolts. No harm no foul in my mind.
And the overriding caveat to your premise is finding a proper dance partner to what you want also.
That's not a given.

PhantomDashCam
02-19-2023, 07:41 PM
we wont get value trading back unless a dumbass GM exists. And buddy we got the dumbass GM who is desperate to avoid a permanent tank. WE take scoot, 100%

These decisions aren't being made by an individual though, at least not entirely.

Scoot is the clear #2, universally at this point in the process.
(Plenty of cases where the #2 guy drops - think as recently as Evan Mobley for the riser in Jalen Green).
However, all that matters is where the Spurs rate him in comparison to other prospects in that draft and on the roster.

Hypothetically - If you could trade #2 (if Spurs don't believe that Scoot is transcendent) for say #5, and two unprotected firsts; do you think the Spurs wouldn't look at that? I'm sure they'd have to.

mo7888
02-19-2023, 08:04 PM
These decisions aren't being made by an individual though, at least not entirely.

Scoot is the clear #2, universally at this point in the process.
(Plenty of cases where the #2 guy drops - think as recently as Evan Mobley for the riser in Jalen Green).
However, all that matters is where the Spurs rate him in comparison to other prospects in that draft and on the roster.

Hypothetically - If you could trade #2 (if Spurs don't believe that Scoot is transcendent) for say #5, and two unprotected firsts; do you think the Spurs wouldn't look at that? I'm sure they'd have to.

I don't believe there's any chance they'd do that at #2...at #3 with Wembanyama and Scoot off tbe board they might

Mr. Body
02-19-2023, 08:04 PM

Of course they would look at it.

People gobble up hype like potato chips. And it's because most people are really, really shitty at evaluating information on their own. Ergo, they're incredibly susceptible to flashy people getting excited about flashy things.

I don't even think Kobe came into the league saying "I rule, I'm going to dominate." He let his game speak for itself. Running your mouth just means you're gonna fall on your ass, hard, when you face adversity. It shows no caliber. It's one reason why people were turned off by Shaeden Sharpe last year, who by last look wasn't setting the league on fire.

The simple minded are impressed by flash and bells and whistles. That's who they are.

However, the Spurs were high on Mathurin and Mathurin said something even more absurd than Sharpe last draft season: that LeBron would have to prove to HIM how good he was. So it's not outside the realm of understanding that the Spurs go for a cocky asshole type. Mathurin has been playing well... but then he was dynamite during the tournament and Sccot hasn't played a single game of note in his entire life.

Bottom line is, I suppose the Spurs would draft Henderson at #2. Probably they will. But almost nobody here has actually seen the guy play; instead they're going off YouTube comments and what a bunch of hype men are saying. The likelihood is that he's another Jalen Green who is not ready to play in the NBA. He'll make some highlights, but fail to lead anyone forward. He's another Steve Francis.

So yeah, of course I would look at unprotected picks and trading down slightly. There's a small chance he's a future superstar (not to mention the #2 is fucking cursed), there's a big chance you're setting yourself big in the long run.

Mr. Body
02-19-2023, 08:16 PM
I'm going to throw this piece of raw meat out there:

There's no reason to think Scoot Henderson is much better a prospect than Jalen Green was coming out. At close to 6' even, more of a PG, he doubles the assists, but Green was much, much more efficient a scorer in every single way.

Only reason people are shitting themselves over Scoot? Because they were told he's generational and would lead any draft class of the last ten years. That's what they've been told.

Dejounte
02-19-2023, 08:19 PM
When this thread reaches 20+ pages, half of the posts on it will be Mr. Body telling everyone they’re wrong about Scoot. Find something else to be passionate about, dude.

K...
02-19-2023, 08:25 PM
Ha i expect the odds of the spurs reaching in defiance of the mock drafts for pick 2 or 3 is much much greater that the odds they trade out or down.

Goob
02-19-2023, 08:42 PM
He has a chip on his shoulder as far as everyone wanting Victor over him and rightly so.With that being said, if we do miss out on Victor, Scoot would be a great fit here also.

PhantomDashCam
02-19-2023, 08:50 PM
I don't believe there's any chance they'd do that at #2...at #3 with Wembanyama and Scoot off tbe board they might

I'm not sure teams are paying big to get in at #3 though.

exstatic
02-19-2023, 08:53 PM
Hypothetical: no one jumps into the top 4, and those teams just shuffle. We wind up at 2, and Orlando has 5 and 7. Do you trade 2 for 5,7?

rascal
02-19-2023, 08:57 PM
You're clearly still living in the age where you think people honor contracts and play super hard to show how much they love being somewhere. **If** Scoot wants gone at the end of his rookie contract, Scoot will be gone at the end of his rookie contract, rules be damned. You know this.

Anyone they draft can be gone. Don't be so damn scared.

mo7888
02-19-2023, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure teams are paying big to get in at #3 though.

It's hard to say.... outside of ST, most believe this is a draft full of talent in the top 8.. I could easily see a team falling in love with Amen, Miller, etc and trading a haul to move in to the top 3..

mo7888
02-19-2023, 09:01 PM
Hypothetical: no one jumps into the top 4, and those teams just shuffle. We wind up at 2, and Orlando has 5 and 7. Do you trade 2 for 5,7?

No, I'd take Scoot and then see if there was anyway to package a current player with other assets to move into the top 10 for a second pick..the price might be to steep to do that but I'd explore it .

offset formation
02-19-2023, 09:14 PM
Anyone they draft can be gone. Don't be so damn scared.

The reason I'm specifically referencing this to Scoot is because I read a comment somewhere about 2 weeks back someplace where it seemed he was dunking on small market teams. Not sure how much weight to put on that or if it was even accurate. Has nothing to do with being scurred and everything to do with being a front office that does the proper interview and research of him and determines whether he's likely to bolt at his first opportunity. That's called doing your fucking job. I really am sorry to see how some of you guys don't get that.

offset formation
02-19-2023, 09:15 PM

Good question and totally comes down to how PATFO scouts Scoot's talent ceiling and if he is a fit here long term. If he is viewed as that guy, you can't pass him up at 2, even for 5 and 7.

Ariel
02-19-2023, 09:19 PM
The only player outside the big 2 that I'm relatively confident about is Brandon Miller, the rest come with huge question marks. The upside & fit with Scoot is too high to pass up for, say, Keyonte George & Ausar Thompson.
One other scenario I'd be more interested in, is what would happen if we come at no. 3 or no. 4, and Detroit or Charlotte pick at no. 2. Do they take Scoot, given that they have Cunningham & Ivey or Lamelo respectively? Wouldn't they be willing to trade back couple picks to get a wing (Keldon?) or future pick? Some may say of course they won't, but I'd remind them that Charlotte passed on Duren in favor of Mark Williams, and Detroit took Darko over Carmelo and Wade... weird things happen, value is subjective and you've got to be prepared and explore every chance to get better.

PhantomDashCam
02-19-2023, 09:36 PM

If you value a player likely available at #5 more so than 2,3 and 4; without question.
I'm ignorant to most of the draft class at this current time apart from the aforementioned Scoot and Wemby so couldn't say for certain I'd be comfortable with it yet.

exstatic
02-19-2023, 09:44 PM
The only player outside the big 2 that I'm relatively confident about is Brandon Miller, the rest come with huge question marks. The upside & fit with Scoot is too high to pass up for, say, Keyonte George & Ausar Thompson.
One other scenario I'd be more interested in, is what would happen if we come at no. 3 or no. 4, and Detroit or Charlotte pick at no. 2. Do they take Scoot, given that they have Cunningham & Ivey or Lamelo respectively? Wouldn't they be willing to trade back couple picks to get a wing (Keldon?) or future pick? Some may say of course they won't, but I'd remind them that Charlotte passed on Duren in favor of Mark Williams, and Detroit took Darko over Carmelo and Wade... weird things happen, value is subjective and you've got to be prepared and explore every chance to get better.

Not even a recent phenomenon. Portland passed on MJ, because they already had Drexler. Ooof.

XDT76
02-19-2023, 09:46 PM

I will not trade it straight away, we can have a pre agreement that we draft Scoot and if whoever we want is still available at 5 then we do it at the draft, else we can trade Scoot if a good deal comes along else we just run with it. Our PG position is quite poor anyway.

Atl Spur
02-19-2023, 11:32 PM
If scoot is there, we draft him period point blank:)

GAustex
02-20-2023, 12:02 AM
Miss Cleo fondled that pervert too

goliath
02-20-2023, 02:25 AM
Man, if we get #2 we draft Scoot. End of story. But he might leave, might not like small markets. All rookies sign their rookie extension so we have him for what 7-8 years? I’m not passing on scoot bc there is a possibility he might maybe leave 7 years after we draft him.

TDMVPDPOY
02-20-2023, 04:22 AM
do spurs draft best man left on the board who they dont need for a trade, or draft someone they need now?

ambchang
02-20-2023, 08:55 AM
^ given their record, the Spurs need everything.

Atl Spur
02-20-2023, 08:56 AM
do spurs draft best man left on the board who they dont need for a trade, or draft someone they need now?

You gotta take best available talent…. The good thing is we can really use a point guard.

Rocalcio
02-20-2023, 09:30 AM
Also, this is an unpopular opinion but I think the Spurs would be much more fun to watch with Scoot leading the way than Wemba. Kids try to model their game after someone they can play as and I don’t think anyone looks at Wemba and think they could play like him. Dude is a human cheat code. Of course, I acknowledge that the ceiling is higher with someone like Wemba and that he probably leads the team to more wins. I’m just saying this as a basketball junkie and what’s fun for me to watch when I’m watching a game. Scoot has some playground style handles and I love that.

Wembanyama is a living highlight machine, he'll be much more fun to watch than Henderson.

wildbill2u
02-20-2023, 06:09 PM
What are the best player evaluation sites for videos on players like Scoot?

Ariel
02-20-2023, 06:13 PM
Wembanyama is a living highlight machine, he'll be much more fun to watch than Henderson.
Honestly it makes no sense debating Wemby or Scoot, they're set at 1 and 2. It's at 3 and below that it gets interesting.

Dejounte
02-20-2023, 06:13 PM

In terms of dominance, sure. But it’s the same way people preferred to play like Kobe vs guys like TD, Shaq, KG. That’s all I’m saying here.

Dejounte
02-20-2023, 06:16 PM
Honestly it makes no sense debating Wemby or Scoot, they're set at 1 and 2. It's at 3 and below that it gets interesting.

What’s being “debated” is who would be more fun to watch, man. That has nothing to do with where they will be drafted. And this isn’t a passive aggressive reply.

playbonner15
02-20-2023, 07:01 PM
With Branham playing so well, Im more siding on choosing Wembenyama. Put Branham and Sochan at point, would like to see a Branham, Sochan, Vasell, Wembenyama lineup

Ariel
02-20-2023, 07:13 PM
What’s being “debated” is who would be more fun to watch, man. That has nothing to do with where they will be drafted. And this isn’t a passive aggressive reply.
Some people had more fun watching AI or Harden play, personally they made me want to headbutt the TV set. I'd rather watch TD or KG every time. But what is more fun is so subjective that it's a completely meaningless debate, so to each their own.

Rocalcio
02-20-2023, 07:24 PM
In terms of dominance, sure. But it’s the same way people preferred to play like Kobe vs guys like TD, Shaq, KG. That’s all I’m saying here.

I’m not watching the NBA so I can identify to players, I want them to make me be astonished, and Wembanyama is more spectacular than Henderson.

Dejounte
02-20-2023, 07:25 PM
Some people had more fun watching AI or Harden play, personally they made me want to headbutt the TV set. I'd rather watch TD or KG every time. But what is more fun is so subjective that it's a completely meaningless debate, so to each their own.

I forgot there was a rule here where everything needed to be a debate instead of normal, light-hearted discussion. What planet do you live on, man? Consider this an aggressive response because I’m tired of your sassy bullshit. Newsflash: people have basketball discussions on a basketball forum and talk about what they enjoy.

scott
02-20-2023, 07:25 PM

Now here are the questions that make this board fun.

If it can be a pre-arranged deal whereby the trade only goes through if Orlando gets both our guys (or the deal changes if they guy our guy at 5 but he is gone at 7, for example), then I'm kind of interested.

Give me Whitmore and Black.

Dejounte
02-20-2023, 07:27 PM
I’m not watching the NBA so I can identify to players, I want them to make me be astonished, and Wembanyama is more spectacular than Henderson.

That’s fair and it’s great knowing more about you and what you enjoy.

Ariel
02-20-2023, 07:35 PM
I forgot there was a rule here where everything needed to be a debate instead of normal, light-hearted discussion. What planet do you live on, man? Consider this an aggressive response because I’m tired of your sassy bullshit. Newsflash: people have basketball discussions on a basketball forum and talk about what they enjoy.
Dude, it was lighthearted, you're making it otherwise. I wasn't even replying to you. Relax...

K...
02-20-2023, 07:41 PM

both those players are form the earlier earlier pre Curry area. There are all star bigs today, but harden is awfully successful in the current NBA for better or for worse. Make a deal with the devil and embrace the no defense until maybe late into the playoffs chuck it up NBA

rascal
02-20-2023, 07:56 PM
Dude, it was lighthearted, you're making it otherwise. I wasn't even replying to you. Relax...

You did quote him then you responded.

offset formation
02-20-2023, 08:11 PM
With Branham playing so well, Im more siding on choosing Wembenyama. Put Branham and Sochan at point, would like to see a Branham, Sochan, Vasell, Wembenyama lineup

No traditional PG even needed IF Wembanyama and Branham and Sochan run point. Makes you wonder who would be the 5th player with this lineup.

XDT76
02-20-2023, 09:40 PM
No traditional PG even needed IF Wembanyama and Branham and Sochan run point. Makes you wonder who would be the 5th player with this lineup.

Some one whose primary job is to rebound and bang inside the post. Both Wemby and Sochan not suitable at least next year.

offset formation
02-20-2023, 09:51 PM
Some one whose primary job is to rebound and bang inside the post. Both Wemby and Sochan not suitable at least next year.

Sengun is really good at that. But we got a "good" kid who was going to purportedly represent the Spurs in a positive manner.

BackHome
02-20-2023, 09:59 PM

Probably need a big bruiser center and still need a 3 point specialist who can play D...

offset formation
02-20-2023, 10:44 PM
Just read the Pistons may not view Scoot as the clear cut #2 pick, not only because there is some thought that Brandon Miller is an overall better prospect but also because of fit with the Pistons. They have Cade and Killian Hays already and Cory Joseph and Jaden Ivey are often playing with the ball too when they're in.

If so, and Pistons get the #2 slot and Spurs #3, it might throw all kinds of intrigue into the mix. Imagine if the Spurs don't see him as a fit and trade back from 3...

ambchang
02-21-2023, 08:58 AM
I could be totally wrong but scoot is giving me some hesitation. He may still end up as the second pick but his production this year is underwhelming. He’s supposed to be dominating but he’s just putting up ok numbers with average efficiency.

I just see him being head and shoulders above everybody else.

rankingtear
02-21-2023, 09:23 AM
He still 6-2 with iffy range on his jumper. In the playoff perimeter shot making is still king and we just had a finals with no elite paint touch guy. He is still clearly the 2nd best prospect right now but you can get creative and develop the more versatile players with higher playoff ceiling. I think before the Primo disaster they are fine with no downhill guard as long as there is no weak link on defense.

The Truth #6
02-21-2023, 10:05 AM
After some deep thought on these issues I’ve come to the decision that we should draft Victor with the first pick. Yeah, it’s a bold take. Not trolling. I think we should draft him.

DPG21920
02-21-2023, 10:36 AM
Now here are the questions that make this board fun.

If it can be a pre-arranged deal whereby the trade only goes through if Orlando gets both our guys (or the deal changes if they guy our guy at 5 but he is gone at 7, for example), then I'm kind of interested.

Give me Whitmore and Black.

I will freaking riot if SA does this lol - if you are lucky enough to land 1 or 2 then you take freaking Wemby/Scoot. I would need to see some astonishing stuff to make me change my mind lol

Excessive Egotist
02-21-2023, 11:13 AM
I wonder if the Spurs will shop Keldon Johnson to teams drafting mid to late lottery?

Too much depends on lottery balls at this point. The Spurs strategy on draft night is completely contingent on their draft position.

spurraider21
02-21-2023, 11:14 AM
i for one am glad that we had tim duncan and not allen iverson

Kevin
02-21-2023, 11:14 AM
Running the draft simulator on Tankathon is pretty sobering. Most of the time the Spurs end up picking in 4-6 range. The flattened lottery odds really hurt.

exstatic
02-21-2023, 11:18 AM
I could be totally wrong but scoot is giving me some hesitation. He may still end up as the second pick but his production this year is underwhelming. He’s supposed to be dominating but he’s just putting up ok numbers with average efficiency.

I just see him being head and shoulders above everybody else.

I have the exact same feeling about the Thompson twins. They’re 20, competing against 16-18 year olds. They should each be averaging a 30 point triple double if they are who they’re being hyped to be. Just doesn’t add up.

exstatic
02-21-2023, 11:28 AM
I will freaking riot if SA does this lol - if you are lucky enough to land 1 or 2 then you take freaking Wemby/Scoot. I would need to see some astonishing stuff to make me change my mind lol

Scoot, and both Thompson twins are products of the AAU hype machine, and are the reasons that there are always re-draft articles two or three years later.

I keep coming hack to Eric Bledsoe as Scoots comp, and that’s not a good thing. Springy, small guard who’s not a knockdown shooter. Even back in 2010 when Bledsoe was drafted, and shooting was MUCH less valued, he went #18, not even a lottery pick.

offset formation
02-21-2023, 11:47 AM
Running the draft simulator on Tankathon is pretty sobering. Most of the time the Spurs end up picking in 4-6 range. The flattened lottery odds really hurt.

Yep. Better to internalize that now then be heavily disappointed come draft positioning day. I posted a few weeks back about our odds of drafting 4-6 are far higher than getting 1 or 2. That said, PATFO has done everything we needed them to do to amplify our odds to the best odds possible. So no complaints about pop or spurs moves will be justified if we don't get it. Just the bounce of the balls.

Now in that same post, I bitched about the nba's process and how the odds are not weighted higher for the top 5, especially the top 3 teams, to secure that top seed.

exstatic
02-21-2023, 11:58 AM
Yep. Better to internalize that now then be heavily disappointed come draft positioning day. I posted a few weeks back about our odds of drafting 4-6 are far higher than getting 1 or 2. That said, PATFO has done everything we needed them to do to amplify our odds to the best odds possible. So no complaints about pop or spurs moves will be justified if we don't get it. Just the bounce of the balls.

Now in that same post, I bitched about the nba's process and how the odds are not weighted higher for the top 5, especially the top 3 teams, to secure that top seed.

Blame that on Philadelphia, and their five year process. Much less incentive to totally destroy your team for multiple seasons if top odds are 14%, and not 25%.

Mr. Body
02-21-2023, 12:03 PM
Scoot, and both Thompson twins are products of the AAU hype machine, and are the reasons that there are always re-draft articles two or three years later.

I keep coming hack to Eric Bledsoe as Scoots comp, and that’s not a good thing. Springy, small guard who’s not a knockdown shooter. Even back in 2010 when Bledsoe was drafted, and shooting was MUCH less valued, he went #18, not even a lottery pick.

It feels like there have been red(dish) flags to Henderson for a while, but then I'm inherently disinclined to buy certain kinds of hype. Scoot has become the equivalent of Stephen A. Smith yelling in my ear for thirty minutes. I also mentioned Eric Bledsoe and I keep saying Steve Francis. Undersize, very high usage guards who cannot play off ball. Scoot is an athletic marvel whose strength profile should make him get his stats in G-League straight off. His assist numbers are impressive, however, if they're more than dump-offs.

But then it's G-League. At this point nobody should be overly impressed with G-League stats. And, again, you're throwing a year of development away; not a single game in G-League matters, and it's when you're trying to kill runs in hostile arenas against teams that hate you and coaches that are gameplanning you, that's when you learn how to play basketball.

offset formation
02-21-2023, 12:09 PM
Blame that on Philadelphia, and their five year process. Much less incentive to totally destroy your team for multiple seasons if top odds are 14%, and not 25%.

You could have diminishing odds and/or automatic reductions in draft location after 2 or 3 years. There are ways to disincentivize annual tanking like Philly did while enabling bad teams, like the Spurs, to truly change their trajectories with franchise changing talent you only get really with those top 2 or 3 picks. We are a truly bad team and ought to have netter odds than 14% at landing a #1 slot.

Mr. Body
02-21-2023, 12:28 PM
You could have diminishing odds and/or automatic reductions in draft location after 2 or 3 years. There are ways to disincentivize annual tanking like Philly did while enabling bad teams, like the Spurs, to truly change their trajectories with franchise changing talent you only get really with those top 2 or 3 picks. We are a truly bad team and ought to have netter odds than 14% at landing a #1 slot.

I'm going to go ahead and say Silver saw the Spurs becoming bad, so was happy to flatten the odds against us, too.

The guy who specifically called out the Spurs for resting players who needed rest, said he'd fine teams for doing the same, and only fined the Spurs.

Atl Spur
02-21-2023, 01:10 PM

Not the same player……

exstatic
02-21-2023, 02:11 PM
Not the same player……

No one is exactly the same, which is why we call them comps.

Atl Spur
02-21-2023, 04:05 PM
No one is exactly the same, which is why we call them comps.

Really? Relax homie……he’s not a good comp.

exstatic
02-21-2023, 04:23 PM
Really? Relax homie……he’s not a good comp.

Why? Explain if you’re going to drop a statement like that. I explained why he was: undersized, springy/ athlete, not a knockdown shooter. Bring your goods, homie.

MannyIsGod
02-21-2023, 05:22 PM

Yeah exactly there's no debate on this to be had imo. Last thing I want to see is the spurs outsmart themselves.

buttsR4rebounding
02-21-2023, 05:26 PM
Yeah exactly there's no debate on this to be had imo. Last thing I want to see is the spurs outsmart themselves.

AGAIN!

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-21-2023, 05:54 PM
With the 3rd pick in the NBA draft, the San Antonio Spurs select....Whothefuck Isthat?

Let's just avoid completely unproven 18 year-olds out of the SEC.

Atl Spur
02-21-2023, 06:48 PM
Why? Explain if you’re going to drop a statement like that. I explained why he was: undersized, springy/ athlete, not a knockdown shooter. Bring your goods, homie.

This is not even a discussion…..maybe a John wall talent would be better. Scoot is the real deal.

GAustex
02-21-2023, 06:55 PM
Miss Cleo does a lot of yapping but never says nothing
Well except for her obsession with the pervert

exstatic
02-21-2023, 09:29 PM
This is not even a discussion…..maybe a John wall talent would be better. Scoot is the real deal.

Their numbers are fairly comparable, but wall is bigger, and played the highest level of D I basketball at UK, and had to share touches with four other FRPs at UK that year. The gleague pales in comparison.

scott
02-21-2023, 10:36 PM

What have we really seen from Scoot to warrant this kind of reaction other than media hype? It's not like he is blowing up the G-League. He's not even performing at the level of Mac McClung, who anyone could have had for free, or even Blake Wesley, who is already on our team. Honestly, Scoot's G League stats look a lot like Josh Primo's.

It's not like Scoot came in and impressed during the Rising Stars game either. What exactly makes Scoot this generational talent aside from a bunch of talking heads saying so?

Granted, there is a difference between potential and current performance, and Scoot may indeed possess all the magical traits that make a franchise player... but what are they? It isn't size. It's isn't shooting. It isn't performance. So, what is it?

Mr. Body
02-21-2023, 11:02 PM

Hey, guys, Atl Spur says Scoot is the real deal. Case closed.

heyheymymy
02-21-2023, 11:43 PM
I was always skeptical of scoot but I think you have to say he is the #2 potential ands so if you select #2 it's hard to pick around that for someone else.

But I'm not sold and I'm not enamored with what I've seen from scoot myself. God at this point, lukewarm on Scoot and having wasted hours of tape on a red flag, just gotta hope we pull that #1 for Wemby. Let's do this. Although with sims dropping SA 3-6 waaaay too much, realistically it'll be a non flashy routine draft for the Spurs most likely.

heyheymymy
02-21-2023, 11:49 PM
who is even the top targets after Wemby/Scoot and barring Miller, skipping Amen and Ausar

NSJ
Jarace Walker
Keyonte
Gradey Dick
Cam Whitmore
Anthony Black

Not what you want to see

The Truth #6
02-22-2023, 12:47 AM
Jarace Walker or Anthony Black seem like reasonable guesses for whom they’ll end up with.

offset formation
02-22-2023, 01:00 AM
Jarace Walker or Anthony Black seem like reasonable guesses for whom they’ll end up with.

Haven't really started my film reviews on these guys, and that goes for Scoot as well, but imagine tanking this season, having a Spurs-worst losing streak and/or season, and setting all-time records for defensive ineptitude, yet coming away with Anthony Black or someone similar.

That, without admittedly knowing a bunch about his game, at this moment, simply isn't likely to substantially alter this team's current direction and steer us out of the doldrums. Seems like a potential HUGE kick in the nuts.

scott
02-22-2023, 01:04 AM
Haven't really started my film on these guys, and that goes for Scoot as well, but imagine tanking this season, having a spurs-worst losing season, and setting all-time re odds for defensive ineptitude, and coming away with Anthony Black.

That, without knowing a bunch about his game, at this moment, simply isn't likely to substantially alter this team's current direction and steer us out of the doldrums. Seems like a potential HUGE kick in the nuts.

100%, but alas that's the way the game is set up. When you think of things from a business perspective, it is easy to understand why a franchise might choose to tread water as a play-in or low-seeded playoff team as opposed to go hard tank. You might be able to at least be a successful business as the former.

Atl Spur
02-22-2023, 06:07 AM
Hey, guys, Atl Spur says Scoot is the real deal. Case closed.

Until I lead you astray, go with it :)

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba-draft/2022/12/1/23482652/scoot-henderson-nba-draft-g-league-ignite

Dejounte
02-22-2023, 07:01 AM
What have we really seen from Scoot to warrant this kind of reaction other than media hype? It's not like he is blowing up the G-League. He's not even performing at the level of Mac McClung, who anyone could have had for free, or even Blake Wesley, who is already on our team. Honestly, Scoot's G League stats look a lot like Josh Primo's.

It's not like Scoot came in and impressed during the Rising Stars game either. What exactly makes Scoot this generational talent aside from a bunch of talking heads saying so?

Granted, there is a difference between potential and current performance, and Scoot may indeed possess all the magical traits that make a franchise player... but what are they? It isn't size. It's isn't shooting. It isn't performance. So, what is it?

For me, like I’ve stated in another thread, I don’t view Scoot as a generational prospect. But he is the clear #2 pick in this draft. I’m not one to “believe the hype” and there have been plenty of players in the past similar to Scoot’s background that I flat out did NOT like as prospects before they were drafted. These include Jalen Green, which I said over and over, was like an untamed version of Dejounte Murray and people scoffed at that remark. I also was a “Hell No” on Shaedon Sharpe. I was also a hell no on Johnny Davis when 99% on this board were advocating for him (ironically enough we are supposed to listen to the same people’s advice on prospects today). I was right about Jalen Johnson being a bust. Soon, I’ll probably be right about Jabari Smith… Rockets fans are already calling him a bust. I called Josh Giddey, Franz Wagner, Jalen Williams rising in the draft before anyone else. Sure, I’ve got plenty of things wrong but I get more things right ;)

ALL THAT TO SAY. I’m not one to just watch a highlight or two of any player. Scoot is the real deal from my observations and I will go into detail later when I’m on a computer.

Atl Spur
02-22-2023, 12:16 PM
Scoot is not new to us in Atlanta ( marietta ); respected bball heads here have dissected his game at nauseam so forgive me not wanting to regurgitate info to spurstalk keyboard GM’s. It’s on wax, I rock with scoot.

GAustex
02-22-2023, 12:52 PM
Miss Cleo rocked with that pervert too

rascal
02-22-2023, 01:13 PM
For me, like I’ve stated in another thread, I don’t view Scoot as a generational prospect. But he is the clear #2 pick in this draft. I’m not one to “believe the hype” and there have been plenty of players in the past similar to Scoot’s background that I flat out did NOT like as prospects before they were drafted. These include Jalen Green, which I said over and over, was like an untamed version of Dejounte Murray and people scoffed at that remark. I also was a “Hell No” on Shaedon Sharpe. I was also a hell no on Johnny Davis when 99% on this board were advocating for him (ironically enough we are supposed to listen to the same people’s advice on prospects today). I was right about Jalen Johnson being a bust. Soon, I’ll probably be right about Jabari Smith… Rockets fans are already calling him a bust. I called Josh Giddey, Franz Wagner, Jalen Williams rising in the draft before anyone else. Sure, I’ve got plenty of things wrong but I get more things right ;)

ALL THAT TO SAY. I’m not one to just watch a highlight or two of any player. Scoot is the real deal from my observations and I will go into detail later when I’m on a computer.

You were high on Primo.

Dejounte
02-22-2023, 01:16 PM
You were high on Primo.

Did I say I haven’t been wrong? Also, find my posts about Primo and you’ll realize my posts about him are mostly comments on a game to game basis highlighting his strengths and weaknesses. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing on player assessments.

Joseph Kony
02-22-2023, 01:30 PM
Mrs. Body consistently has the worst takes of anyone on ST :lol miserable cunt

K...
02-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Wtf is this wrong on primo? The nba has had dozens of known sex pests.

Primo the player had skills to be a good player but was slow to evolve.. being waived effectively kills his career because he needed consistent playing time. Nothing about flashy dick changed his developments up to that point. Picks are like lottery tickets, you know you are going to lose . They call in the lottery buts it a lottery to buy lottery tickets. Primo just busted early.

Saying you prefer sengun is fine, but primo is still the right pick at the time.

Spurstalk gonna fail the tank if they think every lottery pick is going to stick

The Truth #6
02-22-2023, 04:42 PM
I was with you all the way until you said Primo was the right pick at the time.

Mr. Body
02-22-2023, 04:54 PM
Mrs. Body consistently has the worst takes of anyone on ST :lol miserable cunt

Cuz I don't want to put Scoot Henderson's cock in my mouth? Weird flex but okay.

DPG21920
02-22-2023, 05:22 PM

If you are comparing Scoot to other greats sure, I have questions there too about “how great”. But compared to peers in this draft? His athletic build and abilities alone are what make him special from what I have seen. Guys like Amen Thompson are freak athletes but so far behind Scoot in a lot of areas already; Scoot is near that level of athlete but with already more advanced feel for the game.

So ya, I have not seen enough to say he’s a LeBron type prospect or whatever, but comparatively to who is there? Ya, he’s a lot to be excited about and his downside seems pretty capped at like an Eric Bledsoe

skin27
02-22-2023, 06:04 PM
Spurs should draft scoot if they land #2 pick. No other options.

Joseph Kony
02-22-2023, 06:07 PM
Cuz I don't want to put Scoot Henderson's cock in my mouth? Weird flex but okay.

:lmao thats not how you use that, dumbass

TD 21
02-22-2023, 06:12 PM
He's obviously not "Spurs material", but by that narrow minded definition (which has repeatedly proven flawed in recent years), they'll be lucky to get another projected MVP or All-NBA caliber player this century.

It may be more subtle with Wembanyama, but despite being biracial and foreign, he doesn't exactly come off as a prototypical Spur either.

If they luck into 2 (yeah right), you take him and worry about whether he'll force his way out, in give or take a half decade, when that time comes. If push comes to shove, he should at least have better resale value than any other option available at 2 and in the meantime hopefully they'll have lucked into another at least All-Star caliber player.

KingKev
02-22-2023, 06:17 PM
Man lotta wokeness up in this bitch!!!

exstatic
02-22-2023, 06:24 PM
If you are comparing Scoot to other greats sure, I have questions there too about “how great”. But compared to peers in this draft? His athletic build and abilities alone are what make him special from what I have seen. Guys like Amen Thompson are freak athletes but so far behind Scoot in a lot of areas already; Scoot is near that level of athlete but with already more advanced feel for the game.

So ya, I have not seen enough to say he’s a LeBron type prospect or whatever, but comparatively to who is there? Ya, he’s a lot to be excited about and his downside seems pretty capped at like an Eric Bledsoe

If, after year three, you think he’s Bledsoe, you’ve got to trade him. You cannot pay a#2pick to be Eric Bledsoe. His year 4 contract would be eight figures.

Goob
02-22-2023, 06:40 PM
How the hell did this thread turn into a gay porno?

rascal
02-22-2023, 07:20 PM
If, after year three, you think he’s Bledsoe, you’ve got to trade him. You cannot pay a#2pick to be Eric Bledsoe. His year 4 contract would be eight figures.

Why the Bledsoe comparison?

Bledsoe was never highly projected like Scoot and was not even a lottery pick.

mo7888
02-22-2023, 09:40 PM
Why the Bledsoe comparison?

Bledsoe was never highly projected like Scoot and was not even a lottery pick.

It's the silly season around ST....

The Truth #6
02-22-2023, 09:57 PM
If you don’t want to pay #2 money for a worst case Bledsoe, man, it’s gonna be even more brutal for #3 and a worse comp.

offset formation
02-22-2023, 10:15 PM

I love this board.

Atl Spur
02-22-2023, 10:26 PM
Wow! Some dudes in here are wild!!

exstatic
02-22-2023, 10:29 PM
If you don’t want to pay #2 money for a worst case Bledsoe, man, it’s gonna be even more brutal for #3 and a worse comp.

Teams are starting to “get it”, jettisoning high picks like Bagley and Wiseman, who aren’t on the star track. Paying those guys would be the treadmill, clogging your cap for little return. You’ll know by year three.

scott
02-22-2023, 10:39 PM

I can buy into that... but does not sound like a compelling argument to Riot over a scenario where we traded Scoot for say, Whitmore + Black. Maybe I'm still missing something, but Scoot to me hasn't demonstrated those can't-miss qualities that make him a player you "must have". I get not picking someone over him because he's rated above those other players, but does he project so well that he is better than 2 prospects?

Atl Spur
02-22-2023, 11:43 PM
Teams are starting to “get it”, jettisoning high picks like Bagley and Wiseman, who aren’t on the star track. Paying those guys would be the treadmill, clogging your cap for little return. You’ll know by year three.

Debating about scoot is a moot point, he is not those guys.

exstatic
02-23-2023, 06:50 AM
Debating about scoot is a moot point, he is not those guys.

You don’t know that yet, and won’t for three years. Can’t miss guys, do.

Atl Spur
02-23-2023, 11:23 AM

We shall see.

Mr. Body
02-23-2023, 12:34 PM
:lmao thats not how you use that, dumbass

How DO you use a man's cock, Joseph Kony?

Joseph Kony
02-23-2023, 03:51 PM
the homophobic stuff isnt cool bro. just makes you look really childish tbh. arent you like 60? sad behavior

Joseph Kony
02-23-2023, 03:54 PM
How the hell did this thread turn into a gay porno?
some serious projection going on by a certain poster tbh..

dbestpro
02-23-2023, 04:32 PM
I was trapped in a woman's body and then I was born.

rascal
02-23-2023, 04:53 PM
How DO you use a man's cock, Joseph Kony?

Just stop

ace3g
02-23-2023, 10:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DAkVqHj9uc

John B
02-23-2023, 11:26 PM

Spurs future franchise player

offset formation
02-24-2023, 12:22 AM
Spurs future franchise player

In Austin

Dejounte
02-24-2023, 02:55 AM

Yeah, his feel for the game is incredible

spurraider21
02-24-2023, 03:23 AM
In Austin
In vegas

Atl Spur
02-24-2023, 09:15 AM
Barring injury , scoot will be fine. He’s a baby in his basketball development, his best is yet to come!

rascal
02-24-2023, 10:15 AM
Scoot will be what the Spurs wanted Primo to be. The Spurs won't be passing on Scoot if they are at 2.

itzsoweezee
02-24-2023, 10:25 AM
No way this guy is 6’2”. A small guard that can’t shoot? I’d rather have the number 3 pick.

John B
02-24-2023, 11:30 AM
I don’t doubt Scoot will be a better shooter. He has the mechanics.

exstatic
02-24-2023, 11:44 AM
I don’t doubt Scoot will be a better shooter. He has the mechanics.

No clear signs of that. His percentage is OK, but his sample size is low, and his FT % of 74 isn’t real encouraging. For a small guard to hit their top development/star curve, they MUST be a knockdown shooter. 35% won’t get it done. Has to be 40%. TaT projects his NBA 3G% at 34%. That’s why people are comping him to Bledsoe.

Vince Carter's ankle
02-24-2023, 12:17 PM
No clear signs of that. His percentage is OK, but his sample size is low, and his FT % of 74 isn’t real encouraging. For a small guard to hit their top development/star curve, they MUST be a knockdown shooter. 35% won’t get it done. Has to be 40%. TaT projects his NBA 3G% at 34%. That’s why people are comping him to Bledsoe.
If Parker was in this year's draft, would he also be compared to Bledsoe because of the percentage? And do I understand correctly that Tony would not be the star of the modern NBA?

spurraider21
02-24-2023, 12:19 PM
rose hit like 72% of his free throws in college while also being a poor outside shooter, and he was still a monster in the nba until he started getting hurt regularly

exstatic
02-24-2023, 12:29 PM
If Parker was in this year's draft, would he also be compared to Bledsoe because of the percentage? And do I understand correctly that Tony would not be the star of the modern NBA?

rose hit like 72% of his free throws in college while also being a poor outside shooter, and he was still a monster in the nba until he started getting hurt regularly

Derrick Rose was a career 31.6% 3 point shooter. Parker was better, but low volume. What both of you are failing to understand is that there has been a FUNDAMENTAL shift in the game that started with the rules changes that disallowed fighting over screens. Shooting is EVERYTHING now. You might as well make comparisons to Bob Cousy for all of the relevance these two have to todays game. Shaq was dominant in days past, and no one is drafting big bruising centers any more, and for the same reasons.

John B
02-24-2023, 12:30 PM

Which version of Parker? Parker started with 32% at 3pt but improved to 42% in 2014. But yet again an argument for Scoot improving his shooting given the proper coaching.

Vince Carter's ankle
02-24-2023, 12:57 PM
Derrick Rose was a career 31.6% 3 point shooter. Parker was better, but low volume. What both of you are failing to understand is that there has been a FUNDAMENTAL shift in the game that started with the rules changes that disallowed fighting over screens. Shooting is EVERYTHING now. You might as well make comparisons to Bob Cousy for all of the relevance these two have to todays game. Shaq was dominant in days past, and no one is drafting big bruising centers any more, and for the same reasons.
Morant is not a star?

spurraider21
02-24-2023, 01:01 PM
im still convinced there was a world where westbrook was either better coached and more coachable and became a top 10 player of all time

baseline bum
02-24-2023, 01:11 PM

Yeah you don't even know with Wembanyama. Ralph Sampson was as can't miss as can't miss comes and was supposed to be the next Kareem but even before the injuries he was kind of meh in the NBA.

baseline bum
02-24-2023, 01:12 PM
im still convinced there was a world where westbrook was either better coached and more coachable and became a top 10 player of all time

They wouldn't have let him stay at UCLA more than four years though.

ace3g
02-27-2023, 06:54 PM
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1630342589806157827

offset formation
02-28-2023, 12:01 AM

Tony developed a very consistent floater and had a billion layups because of that flash burst and simultaneous up and under layup move he had. Not saying Scoot won't have easy buckets and a go to move he uses to get easy points but my early look at his film isn't showing that yet.

XDT76
02-28-2023, 05:04 AM
Not too keen on Scoot, we have too many undersize, non athletic leaper, non shooters. When the other team pack the centre with length we simply could not do a thing. The collapse of 2nd half vs the Jazz is exactly what happens.

buttsR4rebounding
02-28-2023, 06:00 AM
Not too keen on Scoot, we have too many undersize, non athletic leaper, non shooters. When the other team pack the centre with length we simply could not do a thing. The collapse of 2nd half vs the Jazz is exactly what happens.

The second half collapse against the Jazz was was Tanking 101. And Scoot is anything but unathletic.

XDT76
02-28-2023, 06:43 AM
The second half collapse against the Jazz was was Tanking 101. And Scoot is anything but unathletic.

Keep telling ourselves that is tanking maybe we will really feel better. We have our starting five on the floor and have problem scoring. Scoot might be athletic but he did not show that he can get to the rim easily in half court set.

rascal
02-28-2023, 10:09 AM
Keep telling ourselves that is tanking maybe we will really feel better. We have our starting five on the floor and have problem scoring. Scoot might be athletic but he did not show that he can get to the rim easily in half court set.

Then who do you draft at 2?

DPG21920
02-28-2023, 10:10 AM

Devin Vassell and Tre Jone were playing?

spurraider21
02-28-2023, 01:44 PM
2 of our 5 starters were out, and our starting C was recently traded for picks. our most consistent bench player was traded for picks. prior to the season we traded by far our best player for picks. theres no other way to look at it than a tank job

XDT76
02-28-2023, 02:19 PM
Then who do you draft at 2?

I admit I don't follow college basketball and he could be the best at 2. However I just don't have an impression that he is a great improvement over Jones. He did show a much improved 3pt% let's see if it holds.

XDT76
02-28-2023, 02:23 PM
2 of our 5 starters were out, and our starting C was recently traded for picks. our most consistent bench player was traded for picks. prior to the season we traded by far our best player for picks. theres no other way to look at it than a tank job

Devin Vassell and Tre Jone were playing?

I am not sure they will address our issue of our O and D of 3ptrs and at the rim.

It could just me losing confidence with them at this point but our D Reb, O & D of 3ptrs did not only happen in this season.

tim_duncan_fan
03-01-2023, 09:26 AM
I have seen not many minutes of Scoot, but just watching a few minutes, he didn't jump off the screen, in my opinion.

I'd be hesitant to outsmart myself if I am the Spurs, but both projected top 2 picks could be traps lol

Mr. Body
03-01-2023, 09:33 AM
I have seen not many minutes of Scoot, but just watching a few minutes, he didn't jump off the screen, in my opinion.

I'd be hesitant to outsmart myself if I am the Spurs, but both projected top 2 picks could be traps lol

I agree that both are way more problematic than most are willing to admit. This draft - I don't understand how it got so hyped. 'Generational talents' up and down the board, like everybody believed Derek Lively and Whitehead were phenomenal, that the Thompson twins were incredible. For sure Henderson has talent. And Wembanyama has massive promise, but doubts.

Atl Spur
03-01-2023, 09:39 AM
I admit I don't follow college basketball and he could be the best at 2. However I just don't have an impression that he is a great improvement over Jones. He did show a much improved 3pt% let's see if it holds.

You need to watch more basketball….. he is way better than jones sir! Are you serious ?

Dejounte
03-30-2023, 07:34 PM
Why Scoot will be a Spur if the Spurs land the #2 pick:

1) https://twitter.com/marcjspears/status/1641126161639178240?s=46

2) at his young age, cares about the community: has an AAU basketball program for young boys and girls

3) says the Spurs’ mantra all the time: “Control what you can control”

4) has the right mindset about what type of player he wants to be: “I want to be like Andre Miller with the pace and the ability to see the floor. Pass like Chris Paul and be smart. On a skillset level, I want to be like Damian Lillard. I want to be a clash of all those guys. On defense, be like Jrue Holiday. I watch all of their film and try to be that one whole player.

I was trying to meet Andre. I was watching film of him before the game. Miller was going slow as heck, but he was getting whatever he wanted. I feel I have the ability to go slow and fast and still get what I want.”

5) says he wants to study the entire playbook for whatever team he’s drafted to

6) he’s incredibly mature: ““I’m not going to regret coming here at all,” Henderson said. “I’m going to be proud of what I became out of this organization, and how I came into it. I always look back at old pictures and how I came into it, and how I’m leaving, how I act about certain situations and how I go about them now. It’s just seeing my growth as a person.”

7) his teammates love him:

“The Ignite players, coaching staff and other staff members all say they’re going to miss Henderson because of his humility, lack of ego and thoughtfulness.”

scott
03-30-2023, 07:38 PM
An observation that has no bearing on anything important… 19 year old Tony Parker looks like he was 13. 19 year old Scoot looks like he’s Greg Oden’s dad.

Ariel
03-30-2023, 08:06 PM
4) has the right mindset about what type of player he wants to be: “I want to be like Andre Miller with the pace and the ability to see the floor. Pass like Chris Paul and be smart. On a skillset level, I want to be like Damian Lillard. I want to be a clash of all those guys. On defense, be like Jrue Holiday. I watch all of their film and try to be that one whole player.

I was trying to meet Andre. I was watching film of him before the game. Miller was going slow as heck, but he was getting whatever he wanted. I feel I have the ability to go slow and fast and still get what I want.”
:lol I call BS. I distinctly remember watching an interview of him a few months ago, and said his wanted to be like AI (yes, a 19 year old named Allen Iverson) and Russell Westbrook. Now he changes the tune naming team first PGs because that's a much better sell for teams. Also, he didn't come across as particularly bright, though definitely ambitious. He's obviously been coached.

Dejounte
03-30-2023, 08:10 PM
:lol I call BS. I distinctly remember watching an interview of him a few months ago, and said his wanted to be like AI (yes, a 19 year old named Allen Iverson) and Russell Westbrook. Now he changes the tune naming team first PGs because that's a much better sell for teams. He's obviously been coached.

Hmm, not sure about you but in my decades of NBA fandom my favorite types of players have changed over and over as I gained more appreciation for the fundamentals of basketball. It’s not exactly outside the realm of possibility for an 18 year old to change players he likes, much less an actual player who is in his development years and is gaining more of an understanding of what his strengths and weaknesses are.

rascal
03-30-2023, 08:31 PM
The Spurs will take Scoot at 2. They need a better starting quality pg with upside and I don't see them taking Miller at 2. Who else would they go for?

They are not likely to trade down.

rascal
03-30-2023, 08:34 PM
Many in here who are not high on Scoot will change their minds if and when the Spurs draft him at 2.

Ariel
03-30-2023, 08:37 PM
Hmm, not sure about you but in my decades of NBA fandom my favorite types of players have changed over and over as I gained more appreciation for the fundamentals of basketball. It’s not exactly outside the realm of possibility for an 18 year old to change players he likes, much less an actual player who is in his development years and is gaining more of an understanding of what his strengths and weaknesses are.
In decades, sure. But going from AI & Westbrook to Chris Paul & Andre Miller within a few months sounds more like an outbreak of schizophrenia than an epiphany of what a PG should look like. It definitely doesn't get any more different than that. He's definitely being coached, which is to be expected, but I'm just not buying the BS being sold here.

Ariel
03-30-2023, 08:40 PM
Oh... and he's got an ego... you don't come out and say you should be the no. 1 pick of your class if you don't. It's not necessarily bad if appropriately channeled, but the fact that they're trying to paint him completely opposite to what he came across a few months ago sounds extremely fishy. Very obvious PR move.

Joseph Kony
03-30-2023, 08:46 PM
Scoot will be an excellent consolation prize after we inevitably fail to land the #1 pick

Dejounte
03-30-2023, 08:54 PM
Oh... and he's got an ego... you don't come out and say you should be the no. 1 pick of your class if you don't. It's not necessarily bad if appropriately channeled, but the fact that they're trying to paint him completely opposite to what he came across a few months ago sounds extremely fishy. Very obvious PR move.

I mean, the full quote was that he wants to be number one in anything he does because that’s the type of competitor he is. You obviously don’t like the guy and will twist anything he says from now up until draft lottery (and then draft night if we land #2). That’s not a slight, it’s acknowledging what humans normally do when they have a bias. I’m guilty of it too but I try not to spend too much energy on it.

KobesAchilles
03-30-2023, 08:57 PM
I’m not gonna lie, I would be psyched if we drafted Andre miller type player with our pick.

Ariel
03-30-2023, 09:11 PM
I mean, the full quote was that he wants to be number one in anything he does because that’s the type of competitor he is. You obviously don’t like the guy and will twist anything he says from now up until draft lottery (and then draft night if we land #2). That’s not a slight, it’s acknowledging what humans normally do when they have a bias. I’m guilty of it too but I try not to spend too much energy on it.
Nope. I've had Scoot at 2 pretty much the whole time but simply took a step back from viewing him as a franchise player, but he can very well be the best option available when we pick, especially when there isn't a clearly better alternative.

He's not the franchise player who you'd expect out of a tanking season, the problem is, there are not that many of those in this class. My shortlist at the top is:
Franchise players:
1) Wemby (duh!)
All Stars:
2a / 2b) Scoot Henderson / Brandon Miller (depending on who picks at 2)
4) Cam Whitmore (last potential star IMO)
Quality starters:
5) Jarace Walker
6) Anthony Black
7) Gradey Dick
From this point onwards it becomes a crapshoot. I have:
8) Keyonte George (undersized and inefficient chucker, but has potential to improve)
9) Cason Wallace (good but overrated defender IMO)
Then you have GG Jackson, Dariq Whitehead and Dereck Lively who I'd consider starting at 15-20, but they're projects mostly.
We may be able to land an interesting role player with our best 2nd rounder (Strawther, Colby Jones, Jaquez), but unless we get lucky in the lottery or some dumb team pushes talent back by taking the Thompson twins, we're f*cked.

I think the trouble starts at 5. I'm comfortable taking any of Wemby (duh), Brandon Miller (strictly on bball), Scoot (yeah, I've cool down on him as a potential franchise player due to finishing & shooting issues plus his game has stagnated somewhat, but I still believe in his athleticism, ball handling and play making skills), and Cam Whitmore (last high upside guy with solid floor). From then on it's all out gambles (Thompson twins) or lower upside (Anthony Black, Gradey Dick, Jarace Walker, Keyonte George, etc.). I'm all for trading down if the circumstances are favorable.
That doesn't mean I will go along with anything he (or anyone) says. I don't have a binding commitment to anyone, right or wrong I'll state my opinion, it's not that difficult to grasp provided you don't see everyone on a message board as having "an agenda" or fitting into a given box.

JPB
03-30-2023, 09:32 PM
yeah, you can forget all the made up, pre-draft communication their agents write for their prospects. If you believe them, theses kids are all humble, wanna be learning, caring, fantastic human beings. Then they enter the NBA... I don't buy one bit of those Scoot quotes, nor does any NBA GM... It's a business and these guys have a plan for him, reason why they shut his season down before the end of the G league season.

exstatic
03-30-2023, 09:35 PM
I’m not gonna lie, I would be psyched if we drafted Andre miller type player with our pick.

I’d throw up. AM is a homeless man’s Jrue Holiday.

Degoat
03-30-2023, 09:49 PM
Im on board, we want Wemby first, Scoot 2nd…

KobesAchilles
03-30-2023, 09:49 PM
I’d throw up. AM is a homeless man’s Jrue Holiday.
Just difference of opinions but I’ve been wanting a pass first point guard who can bully ball forever. Plus AM was very crafty. Obviously Scoot is way more athletic but if he plays like AM but with hops, then I would be stoked

exstatic
03-30-2023, 10:43 PM
Just difference of opinions but I’ve been wanting a pass first point guard who can bully ball forever. Plus AM was very crafty. Obviously Scoot is way more athletic but if he plays like AM but with hops, then I would be stoked
That player type was valid 20-30 years ago. It’s like pining for a post up big. The game has move past that. AM couldn’t guard half of the 3 point flinging mosquitos playing in the league now.

The Truth #6
03-30-2023, 11:43 PM
I’m not against Scoot. But I did think that recent article on him was fluff and felt like PR spin. Mostly unrelated, but the fact that the G League pulled Scoot was a bad look.

rascal
03-30-2023, 11:51 PM
I’m not against Scoot. But I did think that recent article on him was fluff and felt like PR spin. Mostly unrelated, but the fact that the G League pulled Scoot was a bad look.

It's the smart move.

You don't want him blowing out a knee when he's projected to be going 2 or 3 in the draft.

Dejounte
03-31-2023, 06:26 AM
Why Scoot will be a Spur if the Spurs land the #2 pick:

1) https://twitter.com/marcjspears/status/1641126161639178240?s=46

2) at his young age, cares about the community: has an AAU basketball program for young boys and girls

3) says the Spurs’ mantra all the time: “Control what you can control”

5) says he wants to study the entire playbook for whatever team he’s drafted to

6) he’s incredibly mature: ““I’m not going to regret coming here at all,” Henderson said. “I’m going to be proud of what I became out of this organization, and how I came into it. I always look back at old pictures and how I came into it, and how I’m leaving, how I act about certain situations and how I go about them now. It’s just seeing my growth as a person.”

7) his teammates love him:

“The Ignite players, coaching staff and other staff members all say they’re going to miss Henderson because of his humility, lack of ego and thoughtfulness.”

I forgot #8

Sochan has been in the gym with Scoot and has gone out to dinner with him multiple times. Spurs won’t have to rely on “puff pieces” or even pre-draft interviews to get a good judge of his character. If anyone watched the one on one interview with Parker and Sochan recently, Parker stated it was the team bonding events like dinner that made the team successful. The Spurs will go for the guy that will mesh well chemistry-wise with their core players, IMO.

The Truth #6
03-31-2023, 08:01 AM
It's the smart move.

You don't want him blowing out a knee when he's projected to be going 2 or 3 in the draft.

In the context of the College vs G League debate here, at least, it didn’t make me think the league is about competition. Obviously it’s about developing talent and the NBA trying to protect Scoot from sliding. But yeah it’s a business move. Doesn’t mean he can’t still be good. Dejounte is high on him and I typically trust his draft analysis.

John B
03-31-2023, 08:46 AM
I would not be totally disappointed if Scoot was the pick, but I rather Spurs draft a long, silky shooter Miller. Scoot will allow Sochan to play Point-Forward and defend the 4 where he belong. Scoot can break defenses and creates for shooters like Vassell/Brahnam. He is a one-man transition offense and can make the team run. I just don’t like him not shooting deep as well right now. And I got the feeling Blake will be as good (and even better) in 2-3 years. Then we miss out on Miller who can shoot from anywhere on the court. Easily Miller comes in scoring 20+ points out of the gate, and more once he gets stronger. Miller has the size, the length and shooting from deeep to score over anyone (hence my comp to poor KD). A 6’9” who can shoot the lights out vs a 6’2 PG with limited shooting range? I’d take Miller.

mo7888
03-31-2023, 08:54 AM
I would not be totally disappointed if Scoot was the pick, but I rather Spurs draft a long, silky shooter Miller. Scoot will allow Sochan to play Point-Forward and defend the 4 where he belong. Scoot can break defenses and creates for shooters like Vassell/Brahnam. He is a one-man transition offense and can make the team run. I just don’t like him not shooting deep as well right now. And I got the feeling Blake will be as good (and even better) in 2-3 years. Then we miss out on Miller who can shoot from anywhere on the court. Easily Miller comes in scoring 20+ points out of the gate, and more once he gets stronger. Miller has the size, the length and shooting from deeep to score over anyone (hence my comp to poor KD). A 6’9” who can shoot the lights out vs a 6’2 PG with limited shooting range? I’d take Miller.

I question Miller's ability to guard the 3 or 4, im not sure he has the strength or Dawg in him to make an impact on D . His handles needs work but I think he can develop that. I fear that we are over valuing his shooting percentage and glossing over a lack of upside. I've got him at #3, bit the more tape I watch the harder it is for me to justify.

KobesAchilles
03-31-2023, 09:15 AM
That player type was valid 20-30 years ago. It’s like pining for a post up big. The game has move past that. AM couldn’t guard half of the 3 point flinging mosquitos playing in the league now.
I think it’s still valid today to play like that. Also I wasn’t talking defensively at all. Scoot is way more athletic than AM so hypothetically he should be able to keep up on defense if he learns how to play it. But PG defense is the most overrated thing of all time and has almost zero affect on teams today. There’s Jrue and uhhhhhh

Anyways I think the 3ball is overstated today. Kyrie, Lillard, Trae jack up and make a lot of 3s. It doesn’t do them any good. Collapsing the defense and kicking out to the open man always works no matter the nba era. And being able to finish at the rim always works too no matter the era. You still have to have balance in todays game to win. Scoot will not be a savior. But he could be a solid two guy one day.

Chomag
03-31-2023, 10:02 AM
I believe Scoot is going to be a really good upper tier player. However I'm not sold that he will be a type if player to build a team around, but still if we don't get first pick to land Wemby I don't think Spurs can go wrong having to pick Scoot..

I'm still praying to the basketball gods that we get that first pick because Wemby will be that type of player that changes the whole game.

LeBowen
03-31-2023, 10:54 AM
Will be interesting if other teams would be willing to trade down from #2.

Spurs, Rockets and Orlando definitely need a true point guard.
Pistons could fit him next to Cade.
But Hornets, Blazers and Pacers definitely don't need Scoot. Unless Dame finally gets traded, which I doubt.

I think those three would trade down from #2 or even pick someone else if they're dumb enough not to get extra assets.

If we assume the best case scenario for both, I'd rather have PG13-like player in Miller than any point guard without deep range, but current Spurs roster needs a true playmaker, first and foremost.
I guess that's why we're not paid big bucks. Hopefully we don't have to worry about this if we win the lottery, but anything other than #1 or #3 pick would mean there are some tough choices to be made.

wildbill2u
03-31-2023, 11:44 AM
If what you say about your game and attitude makes a difference in how many millions you make on draft day, I believe that any kid can be coached to say all the right things.

That being said you have to take the best player available at this high in the draft. If it is Scoot, OK. If they have found some kid in Uzbekistan that nobody knows about but our scourts, they better be right. And that goes for all the other possible picks in the lottery sweepstakes. I don't see anyone who is a generational player other than Wemby so the FO should make their best call and we will all have to live with it.

I'm not a big fan of KJ as our starter and go-to guy, but he has improved his game and BBIQ and that's all U can ask for. I root for him every time he gets on the floor.

The Truth #6
03-31-2023, 01:35 PM
As far as these young players being coached on what to say, I guess I sort of assume they are all being coached on what to say, and if a player can actually follow through and say something that seems positive, I think I actually take that as a positive. But it’s just part of the job interview process of trying to look good. To me, the issue is when someone doesn’t say the right platitudes.

JPB
03-31-2023, 04:53 PM
If what you say about your game and attitude makes a difference in how many millions you make on draft day, I believe that any kid can be coached to say all the right things.

It doesn't make any positive difference tbh. NBA GMs have heard that one million times. hence spurs (and others) ask disturbing questions to test prospects and see what is behind the facade.

As far as these young players being coached on what to say, I guess I sort of assume they are all being coached on what to say, and if a player can actually follow through and say something that seems positive, I think I actually take that as a positive. But it’s just part of the job interview process of trying to look good. To me, the issue is when someone doesn’t say the right platitudes.

Not sure tbh. Showing some personality and sincerity can go a long way as far FOs will perceive you, instead of rehashing random stuff that will show you can't think for yourself. I believe those rethorics are more about agents being scared that their golden egg chickens hurt their value than making them looking good. It's more about not looking bad than looking good.

Not sure guys like Tim, Tony or Manu needed that. If an agent is scared his player might slip, then there actually might be an issue.

baseline bum
03-31-2023, 05:34 PM
That being said you have to take the best player available at this high in the draft.

Absolutely. By the next time this team is in the playoffs I doubt much of the current roster will still be here, so the current roster is irrelevant unless the Spurs fall hard in the draft lottery. Like last time the Spurs were in this kind of situation in 86-87 and won the rights to draft David the only players on the roster who survived until the 89-90 season were Frank Brickowski and then Johnny Moore came back for another year after being out of the NBA. I'd be surprised to see any of this current roster outside of maybe one or two of Vassell, Sochan, and Keldon still on this team when Webanyama would be 22-23 and leading the team to the playoffs in the best case.

Dejounte
03-31-2023, 09:04 PM
Scoot at the Warriors game tonight and gave a shoutout to both Branham and Wesley.

DPG21920
03-31-2023, 09:50 PM
I will do freaking backflips is Spurs land Scoot.

NickiRasgo
04-01-2023, 03:17 AM
I won't be disappointed with Scoot but historically speaking, PGs (as the main star) are the least position that can lead a team to win a championship or being a top contender.
Maybe the last one was Derrick Rose (top contender) but Miami Heat Big 3 and injuries happened.
Outside Wemby, Scoot might be the best fit for the Spurs assuming the Spurs is in Top 3 - if Pistons or Rockets is in #2 and the Spurs are the #3, hope they pick Brandon.

To be fair, regardless who they pick this upcoming draft is that they'll still be a tanking team for atleast 2-4 more years before they can be a contender again since not only the west but the league is stacked.

Sugus
04-01-2023, 11:26 AM
I will do freaking backflips is Spurs land Scoot.

Yeah, I'm on the same boat. I don't fully buy into Scoot as a "franchise cornerstone" kind of prospect, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it'd be an incredible draft pick for the Spurs.

If nothing else, it fills one of the positions we're least talented in (sorry Tre, I don't think you're the future, and Wesley's no less than two years away from swaying any drafting choice the Spurs make) with a true AAA prospect to build and develop. Plus, it leaves the Spurs' roster very unbalanced on bigs, which is great if the team decides the tank is on for next season as well.

exstatic
04-01-2023, 03:27 PM
I won't be disappointed with Scoot but historically speaking, PGs (as the main star) are the least position that can lead a team to win a championship or being a top contender.
Maybe the last one was Derrick Rose (top contender) but Miami Heat Big 3 and injuries happened.
Outside Wemby, Scoot might be the best fit for the Spurs assuming the Spurs is in Top 3 - if Pistons or Rockets is in #2 and the Spurs are the #3, hope they pick Brandon.

To be fair, regardless who they pick this upcoming draft is that they'll still be a tanking team for atleast 2-4 more years before they can be a contender again since not only the west but the league is stacked.

They might be a lottery team, but they will not intentionally dump games for a 1/7 chance at no one special. The tank ends with the last game of this season.

The Truth #6
04-01-2023, 03:40 PM
It might be semantics if we’re tanking or not next year. Still a lottery team. Maybe win 5 more games. If Pop leaves, then could be just as bad.

NickiRasgo
04-01-2023, 10:43 PM
They might be a lottery team, but they will not intentionally dump games for a 1/7 chance at no one special. The tank ends with the last game of this season.

Ah yeah. Sorry I wasn't emphasize properly what I meant about "tanking team" which is either the team will just suck naturally or intentionally losing games which will depend on how the season goes by. So yeah, lottery team is the proper term.

DPG21920
04-02-2023, 09:37 AM
:cry I want a top 2 pick so bad.

John B
04-02-2023, 09:47 AM

I surely hope so. I think Pop allowed the tank this season, and only for a chance at a generational talent like Wemby, and I suspect with much prodding by both Tony and Bobo. But I think next season they will take their chances at a late lottery and on Spurs ability to scout and develop players.

Dejounte
04-15-2023, 12:35 PM
https://youtu.be/PCyunNSDQIg

Two things:
-For a player who is supposedly going to be a bad shooter in the NBA, he displays a ton of confidence throwing 3’s up. Like, way more than Tre since Tre has been given consistent playing time. Confidence is a major determinant for improving shooting, IMO. We saw it at all season with Sochan & Keldon— kept shooting even though their numbers were horrid, and it ultimately led to improved shooting.
-Scoot must have huge hands to palm the ball as often as he does.

rascal
04-15-2023, 12:37 PM
Scoot should be the clear number 2 pick.

baseline bum
04-15-2023, 12:47 PM
I surely hope so. I think Pop allowed the tank this season, and only for a chance at a generational talent like Wemby, and I suspect with much prodding by both Tony and Bobo. But I think next season they will take their chances at a late lottery and on Spurs ability to scout and develop players.

Don't really see this team being 18-20 wins better next season to be up there with teams like OKC, NOP, Chicago, and Toronto in the late lottery short of landing Wembanyama.

Big Empty
04-15-2023, 01:05 PM
We could use him at pg if we get the #2 spot. He may be good enough to lure a free agent in another year or two here to San Antonio. On top of that we have cap and draft picks. U fortunately we’re 3-5 years away from being any kind of threat in the west although i coukd see this team be a first round playoff team in the next 2 years

BackHome
04-15-2023, 01:07 PM
Who ever we pick is not going to be getting major minutes and were not going to ride him like a rookie NFL RB. Who ever we get needs to be built up the correct way it can be very fast or very slow but it will be up to the organization to determine the speed.

As far as how we do well that depends on who we keep and what trades we make and obviously how healthy our starters can stay. I think your correct it seems like OK is finally done with tanking and will start to play serious ball getting a true look at players and figuring what young guys they can trade not for picks but good seasoned Vets. As far as Chicago they kinda screwed I do not see Ball coming back from his surgery I honestly think his career is over so maybe good news for our future Chicago pick will see

exstatic
04-15-2023, 01:27 PM
Who ever we pick is not going to be getting major minutes and were not going to ride him like a rookie NFL RB. Who ever we get needs to be built up the correct way it can be very fast or very slow but it will be up to the organization to determine the speed.

As far as how we do well that depends on who we keep and what trades we make and obviously how healthy our starters can stay. I think your correct it seems like OK is finally done with tanking and will start to play serious ball getting a true look at players and figuring what young guys they can trade not for picks but good seasoned Vets. As far as Chicago they kinda screwed I do not see Ball coming back from his surgery I honestly think his career is over so maybe good news for our future Chicago pick will see

Yeah, I think when you start doing cartilage transplants, even if you ever play again, you’ll never be the same. Bulls are done for this cycle.

scott
04-15-2023, 02:50 PM

Bro, you keep saying this as though Wemby is some secret that only Tony and Diaw know about :lol

It's like saying the Cavs drafted LeBron because someone in the front office was friends with his high school math teacher's cousin. :lol

scott
04-15-2023, 02:52 PM

I'm honestly slightly concerned that the Bulls pick enters into the risky territory of never conveying. We may be standing on the precipice of a complete multi-year rebuild in Chicago.

exstatic
04-15-2023, 03:02 PM
I'm honestly slightly concerned that the Bulls pick enters into the risky territory of never conveying. We may be standing on the precipice of a complete multi-year rebuild in Chicago.

With protections of 10/8/8, it would be tough to not convey it. They would have to burn an NBA team in a major market down to the ground and keep it there for years. In addition, they would probably scrub the front office, and the new group wouldn’t have the credibility to keep them down that long.

barakz21
04-15-2023, 05:35 PM
Idk how to feel about Scoot, but seeing how Tre is the weakest link in the starting lineup, I think I’d be fine with him if we got him. Now if we were anywhere between 3-7, I’ll have to trust PATFO unless they do another Primo.

Ariel
04-15-2023, 09:22 PM
With protections of 10/8/8, it would be tough to not convey it. They would have to burn an NBA team in a major market down to the ground and keep it there for years. In addition, they would probably scrub the front office, and the new group wouldn’t have the credibility to keep them down that long.
Agreed. They'd have to take a very aggressive, Houston/Detroit like approach to tanking for it not to convey.
For reference, here are some possible scenarios:
Chicago's record (from the bottom) in each of the 3 years of the pick's window vs Chances of conveying given 10-8-8 protection
7-7-7: 26%
8-8-8: 63%
9-9-9: 96%
Now with more realistic scenarios (aggressive tanking at first, then taking the foot off the pedal):
1-5-9: 80%
So IMO the pick has very good chances of conveying given its window and protections.

scott
04-16-2023, 12:59 AM
Agreed. They'd have to take a very aggressive, Houston/Detroit like approach to tanking for it not to convey.
For reference, here are some possible scenarios:
Chicago's record (from the bottom) in each of the 3 years of the pick's window vs Chances of conveying given 10-8-8 protection
7-7-7: 26%
8-8-8: 63%
9-9-9: 96%
Now with more realistic scenarios (aggressive tanking at first, then taking the foot off the pedal):
1-5-9: 80%
So IMO the pick has very good chances of conveying given its window and protections.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36197595/karnisovas-bulls-look-everything-elimination

Article on the Bulls look towards the future. Some excerpts:

"That's been thrown around all this season," Karnisovas said. "Blow up, rebuild. It's not on our minds."We changed our minds in the 2021 season to focus on winning, and try to build a sustainable program here -- I think that's where we're focused right now. How we can help this group and how we can improve from this year."
While Karnisovas emphasized that a .500 team was "not good enough" and that he would explore all options to improve the team during the offseason, he also expressed interest in bringing back his entire roster.

In all likelihood, their owed Pick to ORL will convey this year. I'm not sure if that is necessarily good or bad for us. They may bring Vuch and Coby White back this offseason, but going into 2025 Demar will be a FA, Patrick Williams Rookie deal will be up, and Lonzo Ball will likely exercise a $21MM player option. If they only float around play-in territory next season, I could see them decide to totally blow it up by trying to trade Lavine. In that case, I don't think they'll want to go the route of 7-7-7 or 8-8-8, but rather aim for something like 1-5-9, though we have plenty of recent examples of teams going into 3-year stretches with consecutive top 8 picks.

This does bode well for that pick conveying in an attractive range, but I don't think we should just automatically assume it will convey. There is some danger around it.

exstatic
04-16-2023, 06:35 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36197595/karnisovas-bulls-look-everything-elimination

Article on the Bulls look towards the future. Some excerpts:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

In all likelihood, their owed Pick to ORL will convey this year. I'm not sure if that is necessarily good or bad for us. They may bring Vuch and Coby White back this offseason, but going into 2025 Demar will be a FA, Patrick Williams Rookie deal will be up, and Lonzo Ball will likely exercise a $21MM player option. If they only float around play-in territory next season, I could see them decide to totally blow it up by trying to trade Lavine. In that case, I don't think they'll want to go the route of 7-7-7 or 8-8-8, but rather aim for something like 1-5-9, though we have plenty of recent examples of teams going into 3-year stretches with consecutive top 8 picks.

This does bode well for that pick conveying in an attractive range, but I don't think we should just automatically assume it will convey. There is some danger around it.

I don’t think anyone is automatically assuming it will convey. That’s not what the work ‘likely’ means. It’s a probabilistic term.

Ariel
04-16-2023, 12:06 PM

I'm not assuming it would, I'm trying to put in context the implications of those protections. To put it on simpler terms: if they finish 2 spots behind the protection on any given year of the window to convey, the pick has about 90% chance of conveying if not more.
One thing to note is that, with protected picks, risk and reward go hand in hand. Best case scenario is the pick ends up just outside the protection, but that means it also comes with the risk it falls inside and many teams will force the issue if it's too close (case in point, Dallas with the pick owed to NY) so you might not want to play with fire.
IMO the Bulls aren't in blow it up territory just yet, but not far off. Best case scenario they improve a bit next year, enough to give them hope and keep it going one more season. This is why I wanted them to make the playoffs now. But if they are going to blow it up, it's in our interest they do so as soon as possible, since I don't believe they'll go for a prolonged tank and that should give us at least a good chance in the last 2 years of the pick's window to convey. If they start tanking in early '25 then yes, that's the worst case scenario and we're likely f*cked since they could definitely suck for 2 more years.
To illustrate this point, again, Bulls position vs probability of conveying
6-6-9: 80.5%
9-6-6: 10.39%
the same positions, but reversing 1st and 3rd year, yield completely opposite results (very like it conveys to very likely it doesn't). If they're going to hit rock bottom, it needs to be ASAP

EricB
04-17-2023, 08:14 AM
I think there’s a real possibility the retirement exception gets used on Ball, outside of that that Bulls pick to me should be shipped this summer and if they by some miracle, which I don’t think is happening, land VW, then you package it and get semi aggressive, if Wemby is as generational as they say he is.