PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Sochan's abilities...

jermaine
03-01-2023, 04:30 PM
Serious question... Are the Spurs using him like they wanted to use Kyle Anderson? I can't help but see some comparisons.

tim_duncan_fan
03-01-2023, 04:47 PM
He's another 6'7-6'8 guy who can facilitate.

Every good team needs a couple of those.

spurraider21
03-01-2023, 05:27 PM
they definitely see him as an anderson/draymond type on offense but his feel around the basket is pretty uncanny. while his jumper has always looked clunky, when hes within about 10 feet he starts taking these smooth looking turnaround shots, hook shots, and whatnot.

Mr. Body
03-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Similarities, sure. Anderson was a better facilitator around the perimeter while Sochan is much better at getting into the lane.

Chinook
03-01-2023, 09:30 PM
He's basically the opposite of Anderson. Kyle came in with the thought he'd be a good scorer but terrible on D, and he was basically a plus defender immediately while his offense has lagged behind. Sochan came in with the assumption defense was going to be his calling cards, but he's one of hasn't graded out well even comparison to other Spurs on that end while his offense has been way better than advertised.

I don't think Sochan has a role yet. They're trying to see what he can do and who else will be on the team. Once things settling in a bit, he can start filling a niche right now he's just a guy playing.

KingKev
03-01-2023, 10:33 PM
He's basically the opposite of Anderson. Kyle came in with the thought he'd be a good scorer but terrible on D, and he was basically a plus defender immediately while his offense has lagged behind. Sochan came in with the assumption defense was going to be his calling cards, but he's one of hasn't graded out well even comparison to other Spurs on that end while his offense has been way better than advertised.

I don't think Sochan has a role yet. They're trying to see what he can do and who else will be on the team. Once things settling in a bit, he can start filling a niche right now he's just a guy playing.

Prepare to be crucified as ST hates the truth. That being said he has the intangibles to be a quality two way player early in his career. He should easily replace Keldon as the starting 3 as we slowly build the roster through the lottery.

Mr. Body
03-01-2023, 10:38 PM
It's odd to say he doesn't have a role when he's demonstrating he can play various roles.

Dex
03-01-2023, 11:54 PM
Coming in, his first year focus was always going to be on defense...and I feel like he has proved that ability, for the most part.

The fact they have him working on things like shooting, running point, etc...as a 19-year-old rookie...is very telling, even in this losing season.

Diaw was a rare breed but having a PF who can run, pass, shoot, and defend is hard to find these days

Russ
03-02-2023, 12:18 AM
Serious question... Are the Spurs using him like they wanted to use Kyle Anderson? I can't help but see some comparisons.

I see no comparisons.

Sochan pops. Sochan has so much more.

Just don't see it.

John B
03-02-2023, 01:53 AM
I’ve mentioned before that his college coach used Sochan sparingly to set-up offense. I think that, on top of a promising defender, was his ticket with Pop. Pop had Bobo, Anderson, Splitter, bigs who can pass, which is primarily what The Beautiful Game needs. He has KBD bringing down the ball, Keldon sometimes. Pop is creating a position-less basketball. He has Malaki playing PG, then Blake, Sochan. He is getting everybody stretch their skills as facilitators and ballhandlers.

On defense, I see Sochan still guarding the best players. I think Jeremy will continue to play Point-Forward, it doesn’t matter whoever Spurs pick in the first round. If they get Wemby, Wemby plays SF, Keldon slides to PF and Sochan plays PG. If Scoot, Scoot plays PG, Keldon stays at SF, Sochan plays Point-Forward. Vassell at SG on both scenario. The same thing with Amen. I think Sochan is constant as he is the best 2way in the team, and who can play facilitator.

Dejounte
03-02-2023, 06:54 AM
https://youtu.be/vy3aralb_5w

Not sure if KA has ever had moves like at :53 and 1:03 in this video

…and Jeremy Sochan didn’t have those moves either at the beginning of the season. He is improving at a RAPID rate.

John B
03-02-2023, 07:36 AM

…and Jeremy Sochan didn’t have those moves either at the beginning of the season. He is improving at a RAPID rate.

Thanks for posting. So it was to Doug and not to Blake for that bounce pass to the corner 3, threading a needle where Doug would be.

mo7888
03-02-2023, 08:45 AM
It's odd to say he doesn't have a role when he's demonstrating he can play various roles.

Not having a 'defined role' is probably a better description of where he is right now...

SpurSpike
03-02-2023, 09:20 AM
I was skeptical of a pick who wasn't even a starter on his college team. Maybe iv just got my Spurs goggles on but he is showing more growth in a season than anyone i can remember. If he can pick up and learn this fast, the sky is the limit!

Vince Carter's ankle
03-02-2023, 09:29 AM
I was skeptical of a pick who wasn't even a starter on his college team. Maybe iv just got my Spurs goggles on but he is showing more growth in a season than anyone i can remember. If he can pick up and learn this fast, the sky is the limit!
Scottie Barnes and Devin Booker weren't starters either.

Mr. Body
03-02-2023, 11:05 AM
Not having a 'defined role' is probably a better description of where he is right now...

Still tries to use negative terminology for a positive in flexibility.

John B
03-02-2023, 11:48 AM

I don’t think the Spurs right now have defined roles. Pop is trying to stretch everyone’s skills, ballhandlers, facilitators, etc and see what sticks. Sochan, however, will be a defensive catalyst, defending the best player of the opposite team, thanks to his mobile feet and strong body that he can defend 1-5. I think Sochan will anchor the defense eventually ala Drummond.

Chinook
03-02-2023, 11:54 AM

It's not odd to say he doesn't have a role when the team isn't in a state where guys can have roles. Right now, he's out there being a generalist. Pop has him playing PG and guarding the opposing best player, but he also has him cutting off the ball, working in the post and whatnot. Once Sochan shows what he can do, the team can start narrowing his responsibilities into a role. Him not having one right now is neither bad nor good. It's just what it is. It's not a bad thing that his growth path is more open now than it appeared to be when he was drafted. A worse-performing version of him might well have been put into a role and put on a development path toward that. As of now, the team seems to be trying to leave open his path in a way they aren't doing with Branham and are only doing to a lesser extent with Wesley. Right now, I'd disagree he's shown he can adequately play any role. That's fine. He doesn't have to, and the team isn't in a condition to even benefit from him doing so yet. So far, this has ended up being a very successful developmental year for him.

Mr. Body
03-02-2023, 11:57 AM
It's not odd to say he doesn't have a role when the team isn't in a state where guys can have roles. Right now, he's out there being a generalist. Pop has him playing PG and guarding the opposing best player, but he also has him cutting off the ball, working in the post and whatnot. Once Sochan shows what he can do, the team can start narrowing his responsibilities into a role. Him not having one right now is neither bad nor good. It's just what it is. It's not a bad thing that his growth path is more open now than it appeared to be when he was drafted. A worse-performing version of him might well have been put into a role and put on a development path toward that. As of now, the team seems to be trying to leave open his path in a way they aren't doing with Branham and are only doing to a lesser extent with Wesley. Right now, I'd disagree he's shown he can adequately play any role. That's fine. He doesn't have to, and the team isn't in a condition to even benefit from him doing so yet. So far, this has ended up being a very successful developmental year for him.

This team isn't going to have 'roles' the way you think it does. Really weird way of looking at things and it's abundantly clear they don't want to fit Sochan into something specific. What he does at any given moment will be determined by who else is on the floor. His abilities will not be narrowed and rendered useless because of a 'role.' No idea why you persist in this.

rascal
03-02-2023, 12:56 PM
This team isn't going to have 'roles' the way you think it does. Really weird way of looking at things and it's abundantly clear they don't want to fit Sochan into something specific. What he does at any given moment will be determined by who else is on the floor. His abilities will not be narrowed and rendered useless because of a 'role.' No idea why you persist in this.

The Spurs aren't even trying to win games.
Sochan's role is not set yet and the Spurs are playing for the future draft picks to set up the roster and then roles will work out.

SPURt
03-02-2023, 01:54 PM
The last Spurs rookie that had as much potential as Sochan is “he who must not be named”. I don’t know what Sochan is when watching him play but I like it. Sochan couldn’t have landed in a better situation for where his game is at than this Spurs team.

KingKev
03-02-2023, 01:55 PM

Agreed, especially when most young players would have failed miserably with this thrown at them.

Sochan is very malleable. As we begin to add talent through the early lottery I see him playing the 3 or 4 and giving the team a little bit of everything within a system versus being an elite scorer or lockdown defender. Every great team has 1 or 2 players like this.

wildbill2u
03-02-2023, 05:57 PM
If we need a description for his role, I think Point Forward might be the one that eventually locks in. Depending on who else comes aboard, he might be playing Point Power Forward or Point SF in any single situation. I don't know if he is as smart as Boris Diaw, but a versatile guy can always find a home in the NEW NBA. He's showing some moves in and around the paint that might make up for any deficiencies as a 3pt shooter

XDT76
03-02-2023, 07:47 PM
If we need a description for his role, I think Point Forward might be the one that eventually locks in. Depending on who else comes aboard, he might be playing Point Power Forward or Point SF in any single situation. I don't know if he is as smart as Boris Diaw, but a versatile guy can always find a home in the NEW NBA. He's showing some moves in and around the paint that might make up for any deficiencies as a 3pt shooter

His 3 pt shooting was improving and progressing nicely like the rest of his game until the last injury which set his game back. Let's hope he can continue to improve as he gets more play time again.

Chinook
03-02-2023, 08:58 PM

:rolleyes People asked what kind of role he would play. I said he isn't at a point where he's playing roles. I didn't bring the concept of roles up. I didn't "persist in this". If you want me to put it another way: Sochan isn't at the point where we know how or even if he's going to fit on the team as it tries to improve the roster. That's not an indictment of his abilities, as the front office have reason to believe he won't be limited in a way that many might've assumed based on his pre-draft scouting. But it's also true that he's raw to the extent that he isn't playing up to snuff for a solid complimentary piece on a successful team. There's hope he'll get there, but he's not there yet.

gilmor
03-02-2023, 11:05 PM
I’ve mentioned before that his college coach used Sochan sparingly to set-up offense. I think that, on top of a promising defender, was his ticket with Pop. Pop had Bobo, Anderson, Splitter, bigs who can pass, which is primarily what The Beautiful Game needs. He has KBD bringing down the ball, Keldon sometimes. Pop is creating a position-less basketball. He has Malaki playing PG, then Blake, Sochan. He is getting everybody stretch their skills as facilitators and ballhandlers.

On defense, I see Sochan still guarding the best players. I think Jeremy will continue to play Point-Forward, it doesn’t matter whoever Spurs pick in the first round. If they get Wemby, Wemby plays SF, Keldon slides to PF and Sochan plays PG. If Scoot, Scoot plays PG, Keldon stays at SF, Sochan plays Point-Forward. Vassell at SG on both scenario. The same thing with Amen. I think Sochan is constant as he is the best 2way in the team, and who can play facilitator.

best post I have seen in months.. that's precisely what I think Pop is trying to do.. not to one-dim any player in any position on floor, and that's the reason Lonnie, DJ and White bought their exits.

gilmor
03-02-2023, 11:09 PM
yea, btw.. i love reading all your views. so spontaneous and original..

Sugus
03-04-2023, 03:30 PM

These moves are elite. Everything about Sochan's game screams elite, except his shooting, and even that's coming along better than expected. That level of shot creating ability is insane for any big man, let alone a rookie.

I don't remember many other rookie players where their game was so expansive that it was hard to even imagine what they'd look like in their primes. I can only hope he's still wearing a Spurs uni by then, tbh.

RC_Drunkford
03-04-2023, 07:21 PM
I think it's pretty clear this guy has a way higher ceiling than being a Draymond type of glue guy. He clearly has all the tools to drop 20+ on a consistent basis if his jump shot comes along. I see Sochan becoming a complete player with 0 holes in his game. He's quick on his feet, great in transition, can handle the ball, has playmaking ability. His midrange game is decent, he has a post game and an arsenal of spin moves. If he shoots the 3 well the sky is the limit. He might not be a franchise player, but something like 3rd option on a championship team is definitely on the horizon

TD 21
03-04-2023, 09:09 PM
I think it's pretty clear this guy has a way higher ceiling than being a Draymond type of glue guy. He clearly has all the tools to drop 20+ on a consistent basis if his jump shot comes along. I see Sochan becoming a complete player with 0 holes in his game. He's quick on his feet, great in transition, can handle the ball, has playmaking ability. His midrange game is decent, he has a post game and an arsenal of spin moves. If he shoots the 3 well the sky is the limit. He might not be a franchise player, but something like 3rd option on a championship team is definitely on the horizon

More like different than higher (Green was a top 15 impact player for a while).

He appears to be more Siakam like than anything, which is completely unexpected.