PDA

View Full Version : The Bagrationi Dynasty of Sandro Mamukalashvili

Pages : [1] 2

Mr. Body
03-10-2023, 10:42 PM
Sandro was instrumental in cementing a win over the best team in the league with 11pts, 4 rebounds, 2 assists in 12 mins of play.

Post here in tribute to our favorite Georgian player.

John B
03-10-2023, 10:48 PM
Mamuuuuuuu!!!!!

BatManu20
03-10-2023, 10:49 PM
Small sample size obv but guy looks like he’s got some game. Me likey so far.

slick'81
03-10-2023, 10:52 PM
Spurs may end up resigning him after all

John B
03-10-2023, 10:53 PM
^ With that nickname and style of play, I don’t doubt it

John B
03-10-2023, 10:55 PM
I like when how reads the defense and start facilitating, either shooting outside, taking it to the rim and pass to an open guy

Atl Spur
03-10-2023, 11:06 PM
Very skilled kid.

sananspursfan21
03-10-2023, 11:11 PM
Yeah. Because of him, we’re gonna get a ring or two instead of our guy Wemby. I’m not happy.

slick'81
03-10-2023, 11:12 PM
Yeah. Because of him, we’re gonna get a ring or two instead of our guy Wemby. I’m not happy.

wemby doesnt want none of mamu

BatManu20
03-11-2023, 12:01 AM

Highly unlikely that we get Wemby regardless bud. Just enjoy the suck.

timtonymanu
03-11-2023, 12:05 AM
Why go for Wemby when you can build around Mamu :wakeup

Mr. Body
03-11-2023, 12:07 AM
Years from now, when this thread is on its thirtieth page and the Spurs are defending a Mamu-lead three-peat, we will all be wondering who this Wemby creature is.

szkorhetz
03-11-2023, 05:28 AM
Extend this Man.

He is everything we hoped Lauvergne or Lyles could be for this team.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-11-2023, 06:47 AM
Hope he keeps playing well. If they can keep him on another Hinkie special deal then a center rotation of Collins, Bassey and Mamu for less than 10% of the cap would be good for the roster construction going forward, with or without Wembanyama.

boutons_deux
03-11-2023, 07:23 AM
Highly unlikely that we get Wemby regardless bud. Just enjoy the suck.

all 3 bottom dwellers have same 14% chance

K...
03-11-2023, 08:15 AM
wonder if Mamu can shut up the sengun sickos.

Dejounte
03-11-2023, 08:21 AM
More cerebral type players like this guy, less athletic-only types like Roby please

John B
03-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Interesting how Pop allowed Mamu to close the game and he delivered. I know it’s a cliche, but Mamu has guard skills, he reads the defense, then decides to either shoot, take it to the rim or pass to an open man. I think he’s fast becoming a fan favorite

CGD
03-11-2023, 09:53 AM
More cerebral type players like this guy, less athletic-only types like Roby please

You need a mix, but I agree that heady players like this make all the difference.

The biggest case in point is Boris. We don’t win in 2014 without him.

ace3g
03-11-2023, 10:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t5lWEU3h2A

John B
03-11-2023, 10:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t5lWEU3h2A

He seems to be too good to be true. The guy is skilled, already 23 but has yet to get a real NBA contract. Bucks heavy at PF/C position and Coach Bud doing Spurs solid?

Ariel
03-11-2023, 11:04 AM
Post here in tribute to our favorite Georgian player.
He'd have to win MVP to redeem Georgia for delivering us Zaza Pachulia.

Chinook
03-11-2023, 12:06 PM
For most players, their upside is somewhat related to their ability to "play down" a position. A guy with a given physical profile is going to have more utility if they can play at a high level against smaller positions. You can see that when talking about Sochan potentially playing on the perimeter rather than as a big. For Mamukalashvili, I think it's the opposite. He'd have way more upside if he can hang defensively as a center rather than as a PF. He has nice skills and is agile, but compared to other PFs, he's not particularly special. Like Sochan plays the same position but is way more dynamic in everything but shooting. But if Mamu can shoot and especially drive against closeouts coming from centers, he has a chance to wreak havoc on opposing defenses. He can be a huge plus for an offense as a five. But that's only a plus if he can hold his own there defensively. I don't think he looked particularly out of place last night, which is good considering he was playing against Jokic. He didn't stop Nikola at all, but no center the team had did. He avoided horrible fouls and didn't contribute to Jokic finding a bunch of open guys due to him collapsing at the point of attack.

We'll have to see how he does against normal centers to know if that's a position he can play, even if only part time. I think a lot of his limitations take a back seat if he's able to hold his own in the post, protect the paint and get boards. If he can't, he's probably much closer to where Roby is than we'd like.

Mr. Body
03-11-2023, 12:32 PM
For most players, their upside is somewhat related to their ability to "play down" a position. A guy with a given physical profile is going to have more utility if they can play at a high level against smaller positions. You can see that when talking about Sochan potentially playing on the perimeter rather than as a big. For Mamukalashvili, I think it's the opposite. He'd have way more upside if he can hang defensively as a center rather than as a PF. He has nice skills and is agile, but compared to other PFs, he's not particularly special. Like Sochan plays the same position but is way more dynamic in everything but shooting. But if Mamu can shoot and especially drive against closeouts coming from centers, he has a chance to wreak havoc on opposing defenses. He can be a huge plus for an offense as a five. But that's only a plus if he can hold his own there defensively. I don't think he looked particularly out of place last night, which is good considering he was playing against Jokic. He didn't stop Nikola at all, but no center the team had did. He avoided horrible fouls and didn't contribute to Jokic finding a bunch of open guys due to him collapsing at the point of attack.

We'll have to see how he does against normal centers to know if that's a position he can play, even if only part time. I think a lot of his limitations take a back seat if he's able to hold his own in the post, protect the paint and get boards. If he can't, he's probably much closer to where Roby is than we'd like.

Sandro feels more like a PF/C while Sochan is more of a SF/PF, at least in terms of movement and what they want to do with the ball. Somewhat strange, because Mamukalishvili is a much better shooter from deep. He combines what Pop wanted from Poeltl and Collins. He facilitates from the high post, picking out cutters and being able to move the ball around to the perimeter. Sochan's facilitation at this point is still more opportunistic and comes off of drives.

The question is defense, as you say. Neither is much of a shotblocker. Sochan has had issues gathering rebounds. We're not sure yet how good Mamu can be on that side. Controlling bulky and talented centers will be an issue.

ace3g
03-11-2023, 12:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvipZUiqtw4

The Truth #6
03-11-2023, 01:10 PM
It’s easy to fall in love in the beginning. Bassey came back to Earth, for example. But still, those skills are great and he seems to have a very high BBIQ which this young team desperately needs. Not to be too dramatic, but he’s easily the best passer on the team, right?

Mr. Body
03-11-2023, 01:48 PM
It’s easy to fall in love in the beginning. Bassey came back to Earth, for example. But still, those skills are great and he seems to have a very high BBIQ which this young team desperately needs. Not to be too dramatic, but he’s easily the best passer on the team, right?

To be sure. I still think highly of Bassey, however. They cranked him back and are preparing him to not just play instinctively but within the system, not fouling, etc.

Mamu isn't the savior, but we're all excited about how skilled he is. Rare to find a player that fun to watch and a gamer and we're used to getting Metu types who just don't do much. One thing that strikes me about Vili, though, is that he's already in the moment, not having to rise to it. Branham looked scared down the stretch. Nothing against him, he's learning, but our newest guy doesn't seem rattled. That's pretty cool.

John B
03-11-2023, 02:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvipZUiqtw4

Interesting he likes Kukoc growing up. It explains how he moves like a guard and shoots from outside to stretch the floor. He understands where he can contribute to the team. A European player who has solid skill sets and witty personality (like Manu :lol). Already I’m a fan of this guy.

Ariel
03-11-2023, 02:54 PM
We're not sure yet how good Mamu can be on that side. Controlling bulky and talented centers will be an issue.
That's what? Jokic and Embiid? It's a handful of games a year. You can plan around that.

slick'81
03-11-2023, 02:58 PM
God damn this mf'er can pass

wildbill2u
03-11-2023, 04:00 PM
I remember another player who came to the Spurs and made a tremendous first impression on his first game shooting. I think Trey Lyles hit 6 3pts and never approached that apex of his career again. Moral: Don't fall in love with a one night stand.

slick'81
03-11-2023, 04:00 PM
I remember another player who came to the Spurs and made a tremendous first impression on his first game shooting. I think Trey Lyles hit 6 3pts and never approached that apex of his career again. Moral: Don't fall in love with a one night stand.

its the name

heyheymymy
03-11-2023, 04:25 PM
I loved Sandro's effort level last night.

slick'81
03-11-2023, 05:55 PM
Theyll be plenty of bigs in fa for spurs to look at

The Truth #6
03-11-2023, 07:20 PM
If nothing else he can help the others learn how to play a pass oriented offense while he’s out there. That’s actually important. Less isolation. Etc.

slick'81
03-11-2023, 07:37 PM
If nothing else he can help the others learn how to play a pass oriented offense while he’s out there. That’s actually important. Less isolation. Etc.

spurs love dem passing bigs

Maddog
03-11-2023, 08:36 PM
So why did the Bucks release him?

I will say I like the signing and even Roby before him.
The Spurs have had a good track record of finding role players cast off by others. Sure they miss on a lot, but that's expected.

TDMVPDPOY
03-11-2023, 08:47 PM
spurs got their starting centre and backup on dirt cheap contracts

is there really a need for wemba?

Mr. Body
03-11-2023, 08:48 PM
So why did the Bucks release him?

I will say I like the signing and even Roby before him.
The Spurs have had a good track record of finding role players cast off by others. Sure they miss on a lot, but that's expected.

The Bucks are in for a deep run in the playoffs and wanted, I believe, to shore up their guard rotation, so needed the slot. Mamukaleshvili was stuck behind a lot of other players among their bigs.

I feel like the Spurs would have happily retained Roby for the rest of the season but this opportunity popped up.

And there's suggestion Pop/Bud/Sandro's agent might have coordinated this, i.e. he was released in the knowledge that the Spurs wanted him.

slick'81
03-11-2023, 09:09 PM
Only an idiot would believe bud didnt call pop

playblair
03-12-2023, 02:00 PM
it was austin daye not lyles........

ace3g
03-13-2023, 05:11 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs_muse/status/1635398020132139008

slick'81
03-13-2023, 06:18 PM

HOF here we come

John B
03-13-2023, 07:31 PM
HOF here we come

How soon before taking over Rodman’s?

heyheymymy
03-13-2023, 08:40 PM

I'll always remember where I was when it happened

JPB
03-16-2023, 05:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEx_yiVnltI

rankingtear
03-16-2023, 07:07 AM
Does not have the rim protection to be the 3rd big in MIL. Fun development big man though. Good locker room guy, keeps the offense flowing. Just no more Mamu and Keldon frontcourt.

John B
03-16-2023, 07:43 AM
Does not have the rim protection to be the 3rd big in MIL. Fun development big man though. Good locker room guy, keeps the offense flowing. Just no more Mamu and Keldon frontcourt.

If played C, he needs to get paired with Barlow who can help chase blocks. Because Mamu is a little slow keeping with faster PF’s but no rim protection against post Centers. But I like that he can rimrun and can facilitate from the top key. We know Pop is a sucker for a passing big

mo7888
03-16-2023, 08:01 AM
If played C, he needs to get paired with Barlow who can help chase blocks. Because Mamu is a little slow keeping with faster PF’s but no rim protection against post Centers. But I like that he can rimrun and can facilitate from the top key. We know Pop is a sucker for a passing big

Yup, he's a situational big (which is good value). Pair him with an agile shot blocking defensive minded 4 with length and he makes an Interesting prospect.

J_Paco
03-16-2023, 02:01 PM

True, he was a second round pick and end of the bench guy in Milwaukee for a reason. Obviously, the Spurs aren't in "title or bust" mode, so giving a bigger chance/longer leash here makes sense.

I'm just shocked that if this kid had these skills why coach Bud didn't use him more in Milwaukee. I'm sure he vouched for the Spurs picking him up off waivers, though.

exstatic
03-16-2023, 03:33 PM
True, he was a second round pick and end of the bench guy in Milwaukee for a reason. Obviously, the Spurs aren't in "title or bust" mode, so giving a bigger chance/longer leash here makes sense.

I'm just shocked that if this kid had these skills why coach Bud didn't use him more in Milwaukee. I'm sure he vouched for the Spurs picking him up off waivers, though.

Contenders need tight defense. He wouldn't provide that.

RC_Drunkford
03-16-2023, 07:13 PM
what sets him apart from the average 3-point shooting big are his passing skills. They seem to be a elite. He also got a good motor when running the floor. There's a chance he can become a valuable role player off the bench

wildbill2u
03-18-2023, 11:24 AM
Big Mamu was the hardest working Spur against the Grizzlies. That's an attitude that can rub off on the rest of the young guys and bring their intensity up a notch.

Mr. Body
03-18-2023, 12:20 PM
Yeah, there's definitely an NBA player here. What he lacks in lateral quickness and shotblocking, he does so much else well. He's in the right spot in San Antonio to develop -- we value his connector skills and need a floor spacer. His hustle and attitude seem to be top notch.

Mr. Body
03-19-2023, 07:32 PM
My newest favorite random Spurs skill that impacts games but is never counted:

1. Danny Green had this ridiculous percentage of blowing up fast breaks as the sole defender.
2. Tim Duncan won an unusually high amount of opening tips.

3. Sandro Mamukalashvili taps out like 3-4 rebounds a game the team otherwise couldn't handle.

John B
03-20-2023, 12:29 AM
My newest favorite random Spurs skill that impacts games but is never counted:

1. Danny Green had this ridiculous percentage of blowing up fast breaks as the sole defender.
2. Tim Duncan won an unusually high amount of opening tips.

3. Sandro Mamukalashvili taps out like 3-4 rebounds a game the team otherwise couldn't handle.

He does. Does he have Kevin Willis hands? I swear he could tap rebounds by sheer motor and not giving up, but couldn’t grab them so just taps it to a vicinity of a teammate.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-20-2023, 12:33 AM
I was thinking more Fabricio Oberto

wildbill2u
03-20-2023, 03:40 PM
The more we see of him, the more we see skills that the Spurs can use: Motor, physicality, 3pt big, rebounder, good passer and good BB IQ. I think he is proving to be a steal.

Mr. Body
03-20-2023, 04:06 PM
He does. Does he have Kevin Willis hands? I swear he could tap rebounds by sheer motor and not giving up, but couldn’t grab them so just taps it to a vicinity of a teammate.

I don't think it's hands at all. These are rebounds that are highly contested and the other team almost has them -- he just pops them out to his teammates through the forest of hands instead. It's really not something you see guys do enough.

slick'81
03-20-2023, 06:44 PM
Definitely beats reggie fckn roby. Or whatever his name was

ace3g
03-21-2023, 08:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg5h8-7o4cU

JPB
03-21-2023, 09:43 PM
What's not to love about this guy.

John B
03-21-2023, 11:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg5h8-7o4cU

Very likable guy. As Sean saud, he’s a keeper.

playbonner15
03-22-2023, 01:12 AM
You sunovabitch im in :bobo

Mr. Body
03-22-2023, 10:25 AM
With this guy we got:

- an instant crowd favorite who has
- two superior skills for a big man (shooting, passing) and
- whose downsides (defense, quickness) may not be that horrible and
- who has a strong understanding of the game and
- who hustles his butt off and
- is hungry to prove himself and
- is a really cool dude and well-liked

all for the low, low price of one (1) Isaiah Roby

Rocalcio
03-22-2023, 11:15 AM
I see you all like him but then it would be nice to spell and write his name properly, even the thread title is wrong ^^

slick'81
03-22-2023, 12:05 PM
Wemby/mamu/sochan......dare i dream:lobt:

spurraider21
03-22-2023, 12:20 PM
he cant protect the rim worth a shit and isnt quick enough on his feet to defend most modern 4's, but he's obviously talented enough to hang around even if it ends up being in a very niche role like bonbon did for a while

exstatic
03-22-2023, 12:30 PM
he cant protect the rim worth a shit and isnt quick enough on his feet to defend most modern 4's, but he's obviously talented enough to hang around even if it ends up being in a very niche role like bonbon did for a while

I love his energy and enthusiasm, but in addition to the above, he's a pretty average to maybe below average finisher.

Mr. Body
03-22-2023, 01:09 PM
I love his energy and enthusiasm, but in addition to the above, he's a pretty average to maybe below average finisher.

He has no right hand, the problem is.

wildbill2u
03-22-2023, 01:28 PM
Very small sample size to compare his Spurs games (9) vs. Bucks games (65) but he is tripling his previous numbers on points, rebounds, etc. He is also getting twice the number of on-court minutes which probably means he is not playing only in garbage time. (Or you could argue that all minutes of Spurs games are likely to be garbage time). So are his improved stats just an anomaly of the small number of games played or does the improvement mean that he is finally getting to be more comfortable with his skills due to the increased playing time. ???

One thing that is objectively observable about his play is that he is very energetic at both ends of the court with some willingness to bang under the basket. Put that attitude along with some skills and good BB IQ, I think the coaching staff is going to be appreciative of what he can do and give him even more minutes. Of course, he comes along at a great time for him since Bassey is out for the rest of the season and the rookie Barlow is still taking rookie steps forward. Clearly, Big Mamu is the #2 center in the rotation now.

spurraider21
03-22-2023, 01:47 PM
Very small sample size to compare his Spurs games (9) vs. Bucks games (65) but he is tripling his previous numbers on points, rebounds, etc. He is also getting twice the number of on-court minutes which probably means he is not playing only in garbage time. (Or you could argue that all minutes of Spurs games are likely to be garbage time). So are his improved stats just an anomaly of the small number of games played or does the improvement mean that he is finally getting to be more comfortable with his skills due to the increased playing time. ???

One thing that is objectively observable about his play is that he is very energetic at both ends of the court with some willingness to bang under the basket. Put that attitude along with some skills and good BB IQ, I think the coaching staff is going to be appreciative of what he can do and give him even more minutes. Of course, he comes along at a great time for him since Bassey is out for the rest of the season and the rookie Barlow is still taking rookie steps forward. Clearly, Big Mamu is the #2 center in the rotation now.
if you discount the fact that this entire season is garbage time, yeah

The Truth #6
03-22-2023, 02:20 PM
Definitely like the guy. Since he’s already very skilled, arguably there might be less room for huge improvement, especially with below average raw athleticism. But he should get tons of minutes with Bassey out and hopefully find improvement through more reps if nothing else.

JPB
03-22-2023, 03:20 PM

He's kinda Bonner with skills.

John B
03-22-2023, 03:22 PM

Yup he seems to miss on those finger rolls. I think he gets better. He seems hurried sometimes, and has to slow his game a bit. It comes in time.

Opening minutes of last night’s game, he was really great, the way he rolls to the basket, sucks the defense with him and creates open shots as a result. He sees plays developing reminiscent of Bobo, Manu and even Jokic. I know it’s too much too soon, but that’s my initial view of him. High bball iq

rascal
03-22-2023, 03:43 PM
Spur fans getting excited about a player who wasn't good enough to get minutes on a contending team.

He will not be on the team in three years when the Spurs will have several new players from the upcoming draft picks.

John B
03-22-2023, 03:47 PM
He's kinda Bonner with skills.

Totally different. Bonner is a catch and shoot with some rebounds. This guy facilitates, rim run, hassles and dives for 50/50 ball, besides hitting the 3.

Leetonidas
03-22-2023, 03:49 PM
Spur fans getting excited about a player who wasn't good enough to get minutes on a contending team.

He will not be on the team in three years when the Spurs will have several new players from the upcoming draft picks.

While I get the point, he is also an inexperienced player that was on a team playing for the chip and playing behind Giannis, Lopez, Portis, and Crowder in the front court. Not hard to see why he didn't get much burn in Milwaukee

John B
03-22-2023, 03:53 PM

It’s different playing for a contender even worst with a championship team. Spurs would have a rookie and a player or two stashed overseas. Mamu is still not a finish product and admittedly has a lot more to work on and that’s perfect in a rebuilding team. Many said Collins was an awful signing coming from devastating injury. Look at him now. Mamu is 54th vs 10th overall pick, but he shows so much upsides, at cheap price, to not be excited about.

rascal
03-22-2023, 04:02 PM
There needs something to be excited about for Spur fans in this tank of a season.

Good for Mamu to get some playing time and putting up some numbers on this tanking front office don't care to win team.

Mr. Body
03-22-2023, 04:06 PM

Shaeden Sharpe isn't good enough to get minutes on a contending team.

JPB
03-22-2023, 04:56 PM
Totally different. Bonner is a catch and shoot with some rebounds. This guy facilitates, rim run, hassles and dives for 50/50 ball, besides hitting the 3.

I guess that's why I added "with skills", right...? They compare as non rim protecting, bad defender stretch bigs... Mamu having good court vision and nice skills, plus the hustle indeed, even though he's fighting for his life here.. Mamu is having his moment in a terrible, tanking team where he took 14 shoots the last game they lost by 70 or so... Not like he single-handedly nuked the opponent...

Put Bonner in that team and he probably would have shown more than what he was asked for with the Big 3 (jacking up 2-3 treys a game). But don't expect Mamu to have that big of a role, other than what Bonner had (maybe a bit more) in a competitive spurs team. Like bonner, his defense won't make it and if he was that good, Bucks wouln't have cut him.

But I still love the guy.

The Truth #6
03-22-2023, 05:30 PM
I’m ready for the Mamu/Manu wacky commercial for HEB or Red McCombs or whatever.

rascal
03-22-2023, 05:55 PM
Shaeden Sharpe isn't good enough to get minutes on a contending team.

Sharpe would get more than 9 minutes a game in Milwaukee.

benefactor
03-22-2023, 06:14 PM
There needs something to be excited about for Spur fans in this tank of a season.

You literally have never been excited about anything...even when this team was winning titles.

Mr. Body
03-22-2023, 07:32 PM
Sharpe would get more than 9 minutes a game in Milwaukee.

You have an incredible fantasy life.

John B
03-22-2023, 09:26 PM
I guess that's why I added "with skills", right...? They compare as non rim protecting, bad defender stretch bigs... Mamu having good court vision and nice skills, plus the hustle indeed, even though he's fighting for his life here.. Mamu is having his moment in a terrible, tanking team where he took 14 shoots the last game they lost by 70 or so... Not like he single-handedly nuked the opponent...

Put Bonner in that team and he probably would have shown more than what he was asked for with the Big 3 (jacking up 2-3 treys a game). But don't expect Mamu to have that big of a role, other than what Bonner had (maybe a bit more) in a competitive spurs team. Like bonner, his defense won't make it and if he was that good, Bucks wouln't have cut him.

But I still love the guy.

Bonner is a catch and shoot guy. He’s not attempting 14 shots unless they keep passing him the ball :lol:lol. Mamu rim run, facilitates at the top of the key, penetrates. He has a LOT more touches/opportunities. They’re both big and white with facial hair, that’s it. They couldn’t be more different.

The key why Mamu could have a great shot at making the team is, not because he’s a stretch big like Bonner, but because he can facilitate. Pop is all about The Beautiful Game. You need players who can pass. Unless Spurs have a dominant player they can keep feeding and score 40+. For now the ball needs to move. Mamu helps move the ball, finding people.

wildbill2u
03-23-2023, 08:21 AM
Don't know if this was a coaching decision or simply teammates deferring to him, but Big Mamu was getting the ball to bring it up the court like a guard. He actually looked comfortable in this role. Diving for loose balls, saving balls out of bounds, and knocking the ball loose from opponents are things that aren't in the stat sheets but should not go unnoticed. And his stat sheet got pretty full with some good stuff as well. Working this hard in a game that is out of reach shows a ton of character and heart.

jjspur
03-23-2023, 08:48 AM
Mamu is basically your 15th player on the team, but has shown enough that he has moved up the rung. I don't consider him the 15th guy any more, but with time more of a second teamer. He could battle Bassey for the backup center position next season. Depending on who we would be playing Mamu could be the backup or Bassey could be the backup. They each bring a different set of skills to the table.

He was a nice find in this otherwise crappy season. The draft can't get here soon enough.

timtonymanu
03-23-2023, 08:57 AM
You literally have never been excited about anything...even when this team was winning titles.

Considering his one thread in The Club, it doesn't look like he can excite any women either.

Mr. Body
03-23-2023, 09:30 AM
Don't know if this was a coaching decision or simply teammates deferring to him, but Big Mamu was getting the ball to bring it up the court like a guard. He actually looked comfortable in this role. Diving for loose balls, saving balls out of bounds, and knocking the ball loose from opponents are things that aren't in the stat sheets but should not go unnoticed. And his stat sheet got pretty full with some good stuff as well. Working this hard in a game that is out of reach shows a ton of character and heart.

I see Mamukelashvili as slotting in behind Sochan rather than behind Collins. So, his competition isn't really Bassey although they are both bigs. The team is trying him out as facilitator and they've always liked bigs who can put pressure on defenses by moving it up the court after rebounds.

Bassey plays more the traditional rim-defending, rebounding role.
Mamu can do part of what Sochan does plus has his outside shot.

Definitely see a role for him going forward.

John B
03-23-2023, 09:49 AM
^ agree. He is more of a facilitator and Pop likes bigs who can pass, and especially who can bring down the ball. He has plenty of motor and Pop appreciates that. He impresses me as someone who would work hard to get better defensively. Plus great attitude who brings positive vibes on and off the court, already a fan favorite.

wildbill2u
03-23-2023, 11:08 AM
I like Bassey and was hoping he would get signed and get more minutes. But let me tell ya, he didn't show half as much talent during his brief time with the big club as Big Mamu has. I can see Mamu playing behind Collins and Sochan as a utility big man first off the bench. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the pro Sochan hype, but I think he is cemented into to starting team at this point because we may just not have anyone better. Does Brandon Miller take out Sochan or Kendall?

exstatic
03-23-2023, 11:52 AM
I like Bassey and was hoping he would get signed and get more minutes. But let me tell ya, he didn't show half as much talent during his brief time with the big club as Big Mamu has. I can see Mamu playing behind Collins and Sochan as a utility big man first off the bench. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the pro Sochan hype, but I think he is cemented into to starting team at this point because we may just not have anyone better. Does Brandon Miller take out Sochan or Kendall?

Who’s Kendall?

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-23-2023, 12:09 PM
Funny when this end of the bench scrub from the Bucks is the best Spur on the court some nights.

JPB
03-23-2023, 12:15 PM
Bonner is a catch and shoot guy. He’s not attempting 14 shots unless they keep passing him the ball :lol:lol. Mamu rim run, facilitates at the top of the key, penetrates. He has a LOT more touches/opportunities. They’re both big and white with facial hair, that’s it. They couldn’t be more different.

The key why Mamu could have a great shot at making the team is, not because he’s a stretch big like Bonner, but because he can facilitate. Pop is all about The Beautiful Game. You need players who can pass. Unless Spurs have a dominant player they can keep feeding and score 40+. For now the ball needs to move. Mamu helps move the ball, finding people.

I don't know if you just don't want (or can't) understand that it's litterally what "Bonner with skills means", like you know, Bonner (a basic stretch 4 eveyone knows here) but with Mamu skills you're describing here... but OK. I precisely used Bonner (a shooting stiff) to emphasize on Mamu skills and differences. And for the record, yes Bonner would have shown more with this team, not Mamu skills but more than he did during the Big 3 era...

As far as the Beautiful Game is concerned... No offense but please don't even mention that with this year's spurs and probably ever again. The beautiful Game was a very rare and unique combination of talent, brains, skills, complementarity, accountability and grace... Moving the ball is one thing, and Mamu is an intersting player, but you know... We might never find something even close to the Beautiful Game again, specially with today's no defense, 3 pointer fiesta that has become the NBA, which is harder and harder to watch tbh. Pop is just doing what he can with what he got.

John B
03-23-2023, 01:22 PM
I don't know if you just don't want (or can't) understand that it's litterally what "Bonner with skills means", like you know, Bonner (a basic stretch 4 eveyone knows here) but with Mamu skills you're describing here... but OK. I precisely used Bonner (a shooting stiff) to emphasize on Mamu skills and differences. And for the record, yes Bonner would have shown more with this team, not Mamu skills but more than he did during the Big 3 era...

As far as the Beautiful Game is concerned... No offense but please don't even mention that with this year's spurs and probably ever again. The beautiful Game was a very rare and unique combination of talent, brains, skills, complementarity, accountability and grace... Moving the ball is one thing, and Mamu is an intersting player, but you know... We might never find something even close to the Beautiful Game again, specially with today's no defense, 3 pointer fiesta that has become the NBA, which is harder and harder to watch tbh. Pop is just doing what he can with what he got.

Adam Sandler "with skills" = Mamu :lol. Bonner and Mamu have completely different skill sets. You can't say Bonner "with skills" = Mamu.

And nah, Bonner will NEVER attempt 14 shots because he's a catch and shoot player, period. And worst if he plays for this team, because he will NEVER be open, unlike in the Big 3 era when defenses collapse getting him open.

Lastly, my reference to The Beautiful Game is ball movement. Spurs don't have a dominant player, so they need to move the ball to find open shots. That's where Mamu comes in (and his ticket to this team). He helps move the ball.

wildbill2u
03-23-2023, 01:34 PM
I missed this game. Big Mamu looks like he's finishing OK here in highlights. New Orleans Pelicans | Sandro Mamukelashvili (20 points) Highlights vs. New Orleans Pelicans (Video) - SendtoNews (fansided.com) (https://fansided.com/videos/sendtonews/VKKIf34YxM-2629325-4471/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email)

Mr. Body
03-23-2023, 01:47 PM
American players come up thru AAU, which is athleticism based, but more to the point, they don't get any real actual team training and smoke is constantly blown up their ass by pretty much everybody -- trying to coattail, make a name for themselves, or shoe reps. It's a toxic, awful environment.

European players come up thru club environments where they have to pay their dues, which means actually learning how to play within a concept. This is why players like Doncic and Jokic have huge bags of tricks and know how to win, as opposed to the Kumingas, Jalen Greens, etc., who have no idea what to do once they get into the pros.

And... Sochan is really good, y'all. I understand being reluctant to jump in. That's fine. But he has gaping holes to his game and is already really effective. Put him on a playoff team and of course he'd get time. He'd be ferocious on the Nuggets, for example.

rjv
03-23-2023, 02:08 PM
American players come up thru AAU, which is athleticism based, but more to the point, they don't get any real actual team training and smoke is constantly blown up their ass by pretty much everybody -- trying to coattail, make a name for themselves, or shoe reps. It's a toxic, awful environment.

European players come up thru club environments where they have to pay their dues, which means actually learning how to play within a concept. This is why players like Doncic and Jokic have huge bags of tricks and know how to win, as opposed to the Kumingas, Jalen Greens, etc., who have no idea what to do once they get into the pros.

And... Sochan is really good, y'all. I understand being reluctant to jump in. That's fine. But he has gaping holes to his game and is already really effective. Put him on a playoff team and of course he'd get time. He'd be ferocious on the Nuggets, for example.

samanic not withstanding, of course.

Mr. Body
03-23-2023, 02:26 PM

Right-o.

Thinking about this a bit more. The upcoming generation of US/Canadian NBA stars are guys who pretty much just drive at the rim and launch themselves into defenders, generating a lot of calls for themselves. It's basically an environment where they just score one-on-one and get bailed out when they fail. SGA and Morant are big on this scale.

exstatic
03-23-2023, 02:50 PM

You always have some burnouts, and he's the grotesque exception.

JPB
03-23-2023, 03:55 PM
Right-o.

Thinking about this a bit more. The upcoming generation of US/Canadian NBA stars are guys who pretty much just drive at the rim and launch themselves into defenders, generating a lot of calls for themselves. It's basically an environment where they just score one-on-one and get bailed out when they fail. SGA and Morant are big on this scale.

A guy trying to drive eventually kicking out to a guy trying to drive eventually kicking out to a guy lauching a corner 3... Wash, rinse, repeat

Gagnrath
03-23-2023, 05:21 PM
You always have some burnouts, and he's the grotesque exception.
I really don't think samanic's issue was a lack of ability but a lack of desire, he just never really seemed to decide that he wasn't entitled to automatically be a starter getting 15 to 25 minutes a game in the NBA. He seems to decide that he was good, and that he was going to play when he felt like playing and Spurs could take or leave him as he is. He got a few nice paydays out of it, got to experience Texas and New York as a resident pro athlete which is a really badass place to be in life, and got to visit most of the cities in the US that you would want to as a member of an NBA team. Now he's going to go back to Europe play for a second tier club team there getting paid pretty well as a former NBA player, and then be a second rate has been celebrity in his country for the remainder of his life. It's really really not a bad gig.

BackHome
03-24-2023, 10:25 PM
I remember reading an article way before we drafted him saying his favorite thing was break dancing and I was like I don’t think Spurs will draft him

Gagnrath
03-25-2023, 11:09 AM
I remember reading an article way before we drafted him saying his favorite thing was break dancing and I was like I don’t think Spurs will draft him

Sandro Mamu or Samanic?

exstatic
03-25-2023, 11:29 AM
Sandro Mamu or Samanic?

We didn’t draft Sandro.

koriwhat
03-25-2023, 01:03 PM
We didn’t draft Sandro.

And you do realize, well you don't, that he was responding to the post above his. Lmao

exstatic
03-25-2023, 02:02 PM

Sandro Mamu or Samanic?

We didn’t draft Sandro.

Maybe this will make it a little clearer, calftats. I know you’re a bit slow, and sometimes need an assist.

jjspur
03-26-2023, 03:31 PM
Sandro Mamu or Samanic?

You're kidding right ? Mamu has show more in the month or so that he's been here than Sammich ever did in 2 plus years. I would bet that Mamu will be on some NBA team's roster next year while Luka will still be in the G league or on some middling Euro team at best.

The spurs blew the Luka pick but maybe they can make up for it by signing Mamu for next year. Luka flashed potential, but Mamu has the talent and that's what really counts.

Mr. Body
03-31-2023, 10:50 PM
I love this guy.

BackHome
04-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Watched one video he talked about how he played PG in Europe growing up he mentioned they don't care how tall you are they teach everyone the same and they realized he had good handles so he played that position. He also mentioned when he played in Italy he played as a guard and then when he came to states he was moved PF/C

ace3g
04-09-2023, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ah7qTS0NB4

Mr. Body
04-09-2023, 08:14 PM
This guy has to stay a Spur, right? I mean, even his deficiencies aren't that horrible because he hustles his ass off. He duplicates a lot of what Sochan will do as a starter in bringing the ball up quickly, facilitating from the PF position. Not a shot blocker, but he gets boards. Just a fun player to have.

heyheymymy
04-10-2023, 01:13 AM
Still say Sandro Mamukalashvili reminds me of a Bonner Baynes love child

Dejounte
04-10-2023, 03:31 AM

Bonner almost exclusively played as a spot up C and barely had the ball in his hands, while Baynes was a bruiser and mostly stayed in the paint. Not sure how you are getting this comparison.

Gagnrath
04-10-2023, 03:48 AM
Baynes did a good bit of being a bruiser but had a good face up jump shot for someone in that role about 3 times per game you saw him settle to an elbow or top of the straight 3. He expanded that more when he was with Detroit and Boston but it was there with us. Did he ever make it back after his Olympics back injury? That was scary.

Seventyniner
04-10-2023, 11:55 AM
From the admittedly little I've seen of Mamu, I would compare him most to Diaw in terms of his role. Obviously not nearly as skilled but both provide value as facilitators.

heyheymymy
04-10-2023, 11:58 AM
He shoots from range like Bonner and his size and frame are reminiscent of baynes

slick'81
04-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Very pleasant surprise in an otherwise shitty season

JPB
04-10-2023, 12:55 PM

Don't know about that but I know it's still Mamukelashvili.

John B
04-10-2023, 01:11 PM
What I want for Mamu to work on this off-season is finishing in the rim. He seems hurried sometimes and settles for an ackward layup, granted he draws fouks and trips to the line. But he needs to change those ackward layups with strong move to the basket and maybe get and1’s instead. I think he could slow down a bit sometimes, I just think he could assess better, or draw a smaller defender on a switch. But I’m sure the coaching staffs have evaluated and Mamu would be willing to adjust. I’m excited to see the finish product.

heyheymymy
04-10-2023, 03:09 PM
damn I actually like the (poor man's) Bobo comparisons (within reason) better anyway. Feels more accurate.

Just caught an initial vibe of similarities more in broader style and appearance than direct positional alignment or more comprehensive, fully identical skillset comps with Bonner/Baynes but I'll walk back my shitpost, good points all. and taken under review.

and thanks JPB, I tried so hard to get that right and still misspelled his name which is super embarrassing lol. I'll just stick to Mamu for now, Jesus yikes.

ace3g
04-10-2023, 07:00 PM
Mamu reminds me of David Lee.

scott
04-10-2023, 07:36 PM
I like Mamu a lot as a backup 4, even more so in a scenario where we land Wemby, gives us a nice rotation of Wemby, Sochan (who I assume moves to SF) and Mamu eating all those PF minutes leaving no room for McD or KBD playing there.

BackHome
04-10-2023, 09:15 PM
Looking at a lot of the guys the Spurs picked Mamu/Barlow up one thing stands out they always mention two things - Hard Worker, and a Great Teammate in there previous scouting reports. It will be interesting to see what the Spurs do next season and how will these two fit in playing with Sochan.

You make an interesting point in having Sochan play the SF I was wondering if they would want him to add muscle or get lean to play a little more SF. One thing for sure I think it will be fun to watch Sochan and Mamu play together the passing and just the basketball IQ will be nice to watch. I think when we need more offense and play making will go with Mamu and when we need a tougher defender will go with Barlow - either way looking forward to next season

Ariel
04-11-2023, 12:20 AM
You make an interesting point in having Sochan play the SF I was wondering if they would want him to add muscle or get lean to play a little more SF.
It's all moot unless he can shoot it straight.

The Truth #6
04-11-2023, 08:58 AM
I think it depends on who is playing alongside him for it to be moot, right? He can guard multiple positions. Shooting from outside is obviously the goal to work on, but if he was surrounded by shooters I could see that working well.

EricB
04-12-2023, 06:38 PM
It's all moot unless he can shoot it straight.

think he's young enough that we can have some patience,

ivanfromwestwood
05-17-2023, 01:52 PM
Where does Mamu fit into the lineup moving forward

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 01:56 PM
probably starts ahead of Wemby

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 01:58 PM

In the rotation off the bench. He does some of the stuff Sochan does, so the offensive structure can remain kind of freewheeling out of the PF spot.

Chinook
05-17-2023, 02:02 PM
Mamu was being overrated by a lot of fans, but back up PF does still need minutes. I don't know if he's going to win any minutes at center, but it would help his case if he could.

Branham, Graham, Wesley
Johnson, Champ
Sochan, McDermott
Wemby, Mamu, Barlow
Collins, Bassey, Birch

I might be forgetting someone (and there will be second-round picks and vets added in to the mix), but this chart suggests Mamu is competing against Barlow, Bassey, Champ and Wesley for minutes. He has a chance at minutes for sure, but other guys are younger and could improve past him.

td4mvp2k
05-17-2023, 02:08 PM
good fit can play anywhere in the frontcourt either off the bench or as starter. could easily see him starting alot of games at center if they decide to trade collins.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 02:10 PM
Mamu was being overrated by a lot of fans, but back up PF does still need minutes. I don't know if he's going to win any minutes at center, but it would help his case if he could.

Branham, Graham, Wesley
Johnson, Champ
Sochan, McDermott
Wemby, Mamu, Barlow
Collins, Bassey, Birch

I might be forgetting someone (and there will be second-round picks and vets added in to the mix), but this chart suggests Mamu is competing against Barlow, Bassey, Champ and Wesley for minutes. He has a chance at minutes for sure, but other guys are younger and could improve past him.
thats if you really buy sochan at the 3. but with wembanyama on board, positional definitions become extremely vague anyway

Ariel
05-17-2023, 02:11 PM

Branham, Graham, Wesley
Johnson, Champ
Sochan, McDermott
Wemby, Mamu, Barlow
Collins, Bassey, Birch

Vassell? Tre?

JPB
05-17-2023, 02:15 PM
good fit can play anywhere in the frontcourt either off the bench or as starter. could easily see him starting alot of games at center if they decide to trade collins.

They won't trade Collins.

td4mvp2k
05-17-2023, 02:17 PM
They won't trade Collins.
a position thats easily replaceable with the amount of picks spurs have

Chinook
05-17-2023, 02:23 PM
Vassell? Tre?

I forgot Jones on purpose, and his situation is pretty fluid. I didn't forget Vassell on purpose but could see him being the sixth man even though he's one of the best players on the team. Slot him in before Champ.

exstatic
05-17-2023, 02:28 PM

Branham, Graham, Wesley
Johnson, Champ
Sochan, McDermott
Wemby, Mamu, Barlow
Collins, Bassey, Birch

Birch is suffering from chronic knee chondromalacia. He's had surgery, and isn't recovering as Toronto had hoped. There is some thought that we acquired him to get an insurance settlement. I wouldn't even use pencil to write him into any hypothetical or imaginary lineup for next year.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 02:50 PM
Mamu is a good 3rd stringer. Sign him up for cheap

Chinook
05-17-2023, 02:55 PM
Birch is suffering from chronic knee chondromalacia. He's had surgery, and isn't recovering as Toronto had hoped. There is some thought that we acquired him to get an insurance settlement. I wouldn't even use pencil to write him into any hypothetical or imaginary lineup for next year.

The question is if the Spurs will cut him or wait out a medical release. If he's on the roster, he counts as one of the 15/18. O agree he's not likely to be part of the rotation at all.

John B
05-17-2023, 02:57 PM
I like Mamu but he needs to work on his finishing at the rim. He needs to attack the rim with gusto, ala Ewwbanks. Already Mamu has a lot of upsides in ballhandling, passing, rebound and outside shooting, plus motor. He is not a good shotblocker like Barlow, but he is pretty agile defender around perimeter.

I think he’s 7-8th guy from bench. He can play either PF/C depending on match-ups

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 03:12 PM
He needs to work on his weak hand. That‘s why his finishing ain‘t that good, he‘s not ambidextrous

John B
05-17-2023, 03:17 PM
He needs to work on his weak hand. That‘s why his finishing ain‘t that good, he‘s not ambidextrous

Those lay-ups seemed hurried. He’s a big body and doesn’t seem to shy on contacts. But damn it, just dunk it!

That’s why I think he’s like Kevin Willis. Remember the rumor that he has small hands and sometimes fumble a pass?? :lol

ace3g
05-20-2023, 10:15 PM
Mamu for dunk contest next season

Stories • Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/stories/timburns12/3107133871578251753/)

BackHome
05-20-2023, 11:46 PM
I do not understand people thinking that Sochan is not starting or is a major part of our rebuild if you think Wemby is a PF then Sochan can be a SF or C

ace3g
05-23-2023, 10:09 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1661044612264230912

Silverheart80
06-29-2023, 04:18 PM
Was really hoping Mamu would receive an offer from the Spurs today.

Assuming that's not happening, does that mean his Spurs days are done? Or is there a path where they still might have a slot for him?

spurraider21
06-29-2023, 04:21 PM
Was really hoping Mamu would receive an offer from the Spurs today.

Assuming that's not happening, does that mean his Spurs days are done? Or is there a path where they still might have a slot for him?
the QO on mamu is like 2 mil. pretty big statement if they dont offer even that

Extra Stout
06-29-2023, 04:24 PM
We will rue the day when Mamu makes his first All-Star Game

objective
06-29-2023, 04:27 PM
Saves cap space. Minimum roster charge is 1.1. They can use up their cap room then pay him the minimum for a third year guy that will be more

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 04:40 PM
Sounds like they could still keep him. Seems like a good option for a bench guy -- active, well-liked, can move the ball around.

Degoat
06-29-2023, 04:42 PM
I like Mamu but imo he’s as big a hole on Defense as anybody in the league. No Tim protection and I recall us getting killed on the boards anytime he was in the game.

Cardinal
06-29-2023, 04:52 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Mamu was at the Wemby introduction in San Antonio along with Keldon. If true that would seem to indicate he expects to stay around

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2023, 04:55 PM
except he said right then and there that he's not sure if he will stay

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 05:36 PM
I like Mamu but imo he’s as big a hole on Defense as anybody in the league. No Tim protection and I recall us getting killed on the boards anytime he was in the game.

Man this board can't wait to play a no defense point guard as a starter but having a bench big man who isn't aces at elements at defense is too much.

tim_duncan_fan
06-29-2023, 05:40 PM
Man this board can't wait to play a no defense point guard as a starter but having a bench big man who isn't aces at elements at defense is too much.

Which point guard are you talking about?

Degoat
06-29-2023, 05:45 PM

Having defensive oriented big men cleans a lot of things up for team defense, if there’s a place to be weak on defense it’s PG. We’d have the wings and bigs to cover them up

bluebellmaniac
06-29-2023, 05:46 PM
Which point guard are you talking about?

Tre

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 05:49 PM
Having defensive oriented big men cleans a lot of things up for team defense, if there’s a place to be weak on defense it’s PG. We’d have the wings and bigs to cover them up

The place teams get absolutely torched in the league today is at the PG or SG position. The Spurs regularly get destroyed there.

Degoat
06-29-2023, 05:54 PM
The place teams get absolutely torched in the league today is at the PG or SG position. The Spurs regularly get destroyed there.

Spurs don’t regularly get destroyed there, they get destroyed “everywhere” that’s why we got the number 1 pick lmao. Having a generational talent like Wemby is gonna solve a lot of those issues. What’s your solution, Sign Patrick Beverley? Lol

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 05:57 PM
Spurs don’t regularly get destroyed there, they get destroyed “everywhere” that’s why we got the number 1 pick lmao. Having a generational talent like Wemby is gonna solve a lot of those issues. What’s your solution, Sign Patrick Beverley? Lol

Lol wyt so yeah no defensive point guard I guess just some idiot chucker. That'll solve everything.

smh

Dverde
06-29-2023, 06:14 PM
Mason Plumlee will be a Spur tomorrow. It’s like waiting for the draft to happen but with dread.

Degoat
06-29-2023, 06:24 PM
Mason Plumlee will be a Spur tomorrow. It’s like waiting for the draft to happen but with dread.

I think it will be him or Thomas Bryant. Plumlee is represented by the same agent as Mcderrmott and Collins.

Dverde
06-29-2023, 06:43 PM
I think it will be him or Thomas Bryant. Plumlee is represented by the same agent as Mcderrmott and Collins.

Is the name of the agency White Ballers R Us?

Silverheart80
06-29-2023, 06:43 PM

The numbers back this up. No one here is saying Mamu is gonna be a DPOY Finalist, but I'd be curious to see how much his defense improves when he's not surrounded by a sieve on the perimeter.

2022-23 NBA Defensive Rankings have Mamu at #451 out of 535. So yeah, not stellar.

But then you look at some of the perimeter guys ranked beneath him...
McDermott -- #462
Malaki -- #469
Champagnie -- #476
Keldon -- #512!!!! (yikes)

So I'd have to say Mr. Body's right on this one. Mamu's got too many assets (shooting, passing, mobility, IQ) to not hope that he scores a deep bench slot at least. We'll see. Doesn't look good at the moment though.

Chinook
06-29-2023, 06:56 PM
I'm not actually worried about Mamu not getting the QO. My guess is that Champ and Mamu got them extended but just haven't reported it. I'm as big a fan as anyone when it comes to the team not cleaving too tightly to the bench players from last year. But I can't imagine Mamu being in the building but the Spurs not wanting to keep him so badly that they'd be terrified he'd sign a QO immediately if provided it. They can still pull a Walker and pull the QO really early in free agency or pull it tomorrow before things go live.

Langford would 100-percent sign that QO the second it became binding, so I understand SA not giving him that. Even if they'd be interested in bringing him back, that's a min deal in camp, not a bunch of guaranteed money.

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 09:49 PM
It sounds like Champ got his QO along with Barlow but Mamukelashvili has not.

scott
06-29-2023, 10:10 PM
Our poor, sweet Georgian Prince. We'll miss you.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU the children shall cry from the hills in your honor.

spurraider21
06-29-2023, 10:44 PM
Our poor, sweet Georgian Prince. We'll miss you.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU the children shall cry from the hills in your honor.
could still be back. They just didn’t value him at 2 mil

scott
06-29-2023, 10:46 PM
could still be back. They just didn’t value him at 2 mil

At that juncture, we shall litter the streets in gold to honor his return

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 10:51 PM
Payback for Zaza. This was the long game.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-30-2023, 01:07 AM
They can still keep him with the room exception if they want him.

JPB
06-30-2023, 05:18 AM
The numbers back this up. No one here is saying Mamu is gonna be a DPOY Finalist, but I'd be curious to see how much his defense improves when he's not surrounded by a sieve on the perimeter.

2022-23 NBA Defensive Rankings have Mamu at #451 out of 535. So yeah, not stellar.

But then you look at some of the perimeter guys ranked beneath him...
McDermott -- #462
Malaki -- #469
Champagnie -- #476
Keldon -- #512!!!! (yikes)

So I'd have to say Mr. Body's right on this one. Mamu's got too many assets (shooting, passing, mobility, IQ) to not hope that he scores a deep bench slot at least. We'll see. Doesn't look good at the moment though.

Defense was where spurs tanked last year because it's more simple that way. Not sure Pop played one defensive drill the whole year in practice. I wouldn't take last year numbers as reliable indicators. This year is a different story.

Chinook
06-30-2023, 07:26 AM
They can still keep him with the room exception if they want him.

They also have both cap space and his EB rights. Not picking up the QO doesn't discharge that. If the Spurs truly did decline to pick up his QO, it's a sign they may covet that cap space quite a bit.

Mr. Body
06-30-2023, 07:45 AM
Declining him gives them enough ti take a Kyle Lowry.

slick'81
06-30-2023, 07:49 AM
Please stay mamu:(

Mugen
06-30-2023, 10:25 AM
Mamu is a nice little end of bench project, hopefully he comes back along with Champagnie.

cutewizard
06-30-2023, 09:54 PM
Is Mamu gone

Would be a pity

wildbill2u
07-01-2023, 10:00 AM
With KBD gone for sure, I'd think Mamu would have a spot on the bench at least. I'd like to see more of him since he didn't have a long run last season and the cost can't be that high for a team that has lots of cap room.

offset formation
07-01-2023, 10:37 AM
I'm 95% sure we keep Mamu around. I doubt he's showing up to Wembanyama's presser with Sochan and KJ if his agent hasn't already been told they're gonna work a deal outside of picking up his option. There was a private wink and nod to do something on the backend. Just makes too much sense if they're not extending offers to someone like Lopez with all that cap space and need to get to the salary floo.

objective
07-01-2023, 06:25 PM
Will Mamu become the next Jamie Feick?

slick'81
07-01-2023, 06:31 PM
Will Mamu become the next Jamie Feick?

now thats a name that takes me back

BackHome
07-01-2023, 06:59 PM
So happy we kept him he keeps the beautiful game going when he is playing such lovely passes

cutewizard
07-01-2023, 07:08 PM
Point forward

ace3g
07-01-2023, 07:09 PM
https://twitter.com/Mamukelashvili5/status/1675295189135421445

scott
07-01-2023, 07:16 PM
Is he sporting a Rod Strickland jersey? Derek Anderson? Cory Alexander? Bizarre to see someone his age in a Spurs #1 kit.

Mr. Body
07-01-2023, 07:25 PM
Is he sporting a Rod Strickland jersey? Derek Anderson? Cory Alexander? Bizarre to see someone his age in a Spurs #1 kit.

Time traveler.

TrueSpursFan
07-01-2023, 07:31 PM
Time traveler.
Wemby Jersey

Mr. Body
07-01-2023, 07:36 PM
Wemby Jersey

Yup. He knew.

timvp
07-05-2023, 05:46 PM

Someone asked me this today. I think it was to be a Derek Anderson jersey, right? But then again, that'd be a really weird jersey to wear in 2010 or whenever that pic was taken. Maybe just a custom jersey?

Wait ... Mamu partially grew up in Chicago. Bobby Simmons was from Chicago. Years might align right. Could it be? :lol

Twisted_Dawg
07-05-2023, 09:22 PM
Why hasn't Mamu played the last two games?⁹

scott
07-05-2023, 09:23 PM
Why hasn't Mamu played the last two games?⁹

Because he's not on the roster.

Twisted_Dawg
07-05-2023, 10:15 PM
He signed a one year contract on July 1. How long does it take to get on the roster?

exstatic
07-05-2023, 10:22 PM
He signed a one year contract on July 1. How long does it take to get on the roster?

Not on the summer league roster.

cutewizard
07-06-2023, 12:30 AM
mamuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Bruno
07-14-2023, 04:08 PM
Mamu will play the WC this summer with Georgia:

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-14-2023, 05:02 PM

Must be a deep team when an NBA player gets listed 11th. :lol

exstatic
07-14-2023, 05:14 PM
Must be a deep team when an NBA player gets listed 11th. :lol

I think he was born and raised in the US of Georgian parents. They probably consider him a mercenary of sorts.

spurraider21
07-14-2023, 05:17 PM
I think he was born and raised in the US of Georgian parents. They probably consider him a mercenary of sorts.
his house looked like shit

Ef-man
07-14-2023, 05:21 PM

Whoever created the team tweet must be in need of some serious carpal tunnel surgery after typing out all those names, tbh.

cutewizard
07-14-2023, 09:55 PM
i want him in the rotation

MAMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

ismael-robert
07-14-2023, 10:14 PM
Goga is a nba player

stnick2261
07-16-2023, 01:48 PM

They put 4 pictures of Mamu in there like we wouldn't notice

Twisted_Dawg
07-16-2023, 05:02 PM
Thaddus McFadden??

duncan2150
07-27-2023, 05:37 PM
https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1684693472056393728

JPB
07-27-2023, 08:38 PM

The guy on the top right is the coach, right?

That's why he gets a pass for the bear.

John B
07-28-2023, 03:35 AM
https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1684693472056393728

I like Mamu, but I really think he needs to improve a lot on finishing at the rim and defending the paint.

wildbill2u
07-28-2023, 11:04 AM
Mamu will prove to be a strong addition as a rotation player. Big body bruiser, good BB IQ, good passer and decent shot.

exstatic
07-28-2023, 11:21 AM
Mamu will prove to be a strong addition as a rotation player. Big body bruiser, good BB IQ, good passer and decent shot.

Everyone thinks everyone on the roster will be in the rotation. An indicator of Mamu's role is the fact that he was only signed for one year. He'll be a deep bench garbage time player, and an occasional change of pace.

rjv
07-28-2023, 02:15 PM
mamu had a lot of PT once the Spurs were full throttle tank mode. he won't see anywhere near the same amount of minutes in the upcoming season, barring a slew of injuries.

scott
07-28-2023, 05:40 PM
Everyone thinks everyone on the roster will be in the rotation. An indicator of Mamu's role is the fact that he was only signed for one year. He'll be a deep bench garbage time player, and an occasional change of pace.

TBH, Mamu's deal kind of firmly puts him in the camp of possible cuts. He'll need to have a solid camp and pre-season, I'm rooting for him.

Mr. Body
07-28-2023, 08:06 PM
TBH, Mamu's deal kind of firmly puts him in the camp of possible cuts. He'll need to have a solid camp and pre-season, I'm rooting for him.

Bigs:

Wembanyama
Collins
Sochan
Bassey
Barlow
Mamukelashvili

I'd be very surprised if he was cut. I'm also unsure why so many swear he'll never be in the rotation. Have you looked at this big corps? Even aside from lack of experience and current skill, three of them had injury concerns last year.

scott
07-28-2023, 08:17 PM
Bigs:

Wembanyama
Collins
Sochan
Bassey
Barlow
Mamukelashvili

I'd be very surprised if he was cut. I'm also unsure why so many swear he'll never be in the rotation. Have you looked at this big corps? Even aside from lack of experience and current skill, three of them had injury concerns last year.

I don't disagree, but of all the contracts remaining on this team (now that Stevens is gone), Mamu's is the easiest to waive and swallow. That doesn't mean he is the most obvious to be cut (because that would be Birch) but being the one guy on a one-year, minimum deal doesn't exactly scream job security.

I like Mamu as the 3rd C on the roster, but that's just me. If Barlow significantly outplays him in camp/pre-season or even early in the season during Barlow's call-ups, I can definitely see a scenario where Mamu is waived to make room for Dom's full deal.

Mr. Body
07-28-2023, 08:59 PM
I don't disagree, but of all the contracts remaining on this team (now that Stevens is gone), Mamu's is the easiest to waive and swallow. That doesn't mean he is the most obvious to be cut (because that would be Birch) but being the one guy on a one-year, minimum deal doesn't exactly scream job security.

I like Mamu as the 3rd C on the roster, but that's just me. If Barlow significantly outplays him in camp/pre-season or even early in the season during Barlow's call-ups, I can definitely see a scenario where Mamu is waived to make room for Dom's full deal.

I don't think the team will cut young developing players especially to keep more expensive players who aren't needed just because they are expensive.

CGD
07-29-2023, 07:23 AM
Excited for Mamu. He might not be on the roster next year, but these cerebral Boris Diaw type bigs always are intriguing. You can def see a path for him in the NBA as a key bench cog. At the very least he pushes Sochan’s development along.

Chinook
08-02-2023, 04:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU8CmTEc1mQ&ab_channel=ZHHighlights

Looks like he had a good game versus Lithuania. Just goes to show how uber NBA players tend to be against other competition. It wasn't so much that he played well -- he's played well in the NBA. It was how agile he looked compared to other players on the floor.

Spurs Brazil
08-03-2023, 07:12 PM
https://twitter.com/BasketNews_com/status/1686766455998607360

spurraider21
08-03-2023, 07:24 PM
between mamu, cissoko, et al, im losing track of all the boris diaw's we have

Knoxxx
08-04-2023, 08:52 PM
https://twitter.com/BasketNews_com/status/1686766455998607360

Great article, great kid. Loved what I saw from him last year one of the highlights of our tanking down the stretch.

Plays with a lot of swag, don’t sleep on MAMUUUUU!!!

heyheymymy
08-29-2023, 01:52 AM
Mamu drops 21/7/1 on 60/33/100 in Georgia loss

Guess his name is Alexander

Mamu was looking really solid those last few weeks of the tank season. Will be interesting to see how he fits in

https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/game/2808/Georgia-Slovenia#%7Ctab=boxscore

heyheymymy
08-29-2023, 02:19 AM
https://youtu.be/wvtuVGRp9kY

heyheymymy
08-29-2023, 02:21 AM
The cutting routes to the basket are next level. Mamu shows some nice athleticism and hustle. Pretty good shot from range.

Also lol at the one play where Luka Donicic plays zero defense

Rocalcio
08-29-2023, 03:22 AM
between mamu, cissoko, et al, im losing track of all the boris diaw's we have

Who is al ?

exstatic
08-29-2023, 06:32 AM
Who is al ?

Don’t know, but Paul Simon suggests that you call him just that.

Rocalcio
08-29-2023, 10:03 AM
Don’t know, but Paul Simon suggests that you call him just that.

He needs a bodyguard ?

Damn you're as old as me to know this :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-29-2023, 11:20 AM
I like the cerebral players. I'm pulling for Mamu to be on the final roster.

Mr. Body
08-29-2023, 01:24 PM
I like the cerebral players. I'm pulling for Mamu to be on the final roster.

Is there much doubt he will be? We're so thin with bigs and he provides things Pop really loves.

exstatic
08-29-2023, 02:18 PM
Is there much doubt he will be? We're so thin with bigs and he provides things Pop really loves.

He was the only signee this summer that only got one year, and I'd bet it's unguaranteed. I think he does bring things that the team likes, but he's no sure thing to be on the final 15.

Mr. Body
08-29-2023, 02:30 PM
He was the only signee this summer that only got one year, and I'd bet it's unguaranteed. I think he does bring things that the team likes, but he's no sure thing to be on the final 15.

I mean, who cares how long his contract is for? Does it say "won't be playing" on it? Fact is there are few bigs on the team and half of them are injury prone. I seriously doubt the hangers-on the Spurs picked up for draft assets this summer get ahead of him. They're all ancient and they're perimeter players.

exstatic
08-29-2023, 03:29 PM
I mean, who cares how long his contract is for? Does it say "won't be playing" on it? Fact is there are few bigs on the team and half of them are injury prone. I seriously doubt the hangers-on the Spurs picked up for draft assets this summer get ahead of him. They're all ancient and they're perimeter players.

The length of a contract and it's level of guarantee actually shows a lot about how the team values a player. He didn't even get a 1+1. I'm not saying they're going to cut him, but if they do, I wouldn't be shocked. Cedi is 28 and Payne 29. Not on our timeline, but hardly ancient.

Fireball
09-01-2023, 04:19 AM
Mamu just had a very good first half against my German team. 12 points keeping Georgia in the game. I am NOT amused :lol

K...
09-01-2023, 09:49 AM
Who is al ?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/et%20al.

Cant stop a lawyer from throwing Latin out at every opportunity.

Rocalcio
09-01-2023, 03:39 PM
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/et%20al.

Cant stop a lawyer from throwing Latin out at every opportunity.

I’m also a lawyer, in France, and didn’t see that coming :lol

JPB
09-01-2023, 08:15 PM
I’m also a lawyer, in France, and didn’t see that coming :lol

Everybody is a lawyer on Spurstalk tbh.

Rocalcio
09-04-2023, 01:14 PM

Clever fans

spurraider21
09-04-2023, 02:52 PM
Guilty

ismael-robert
09-21-2023, 07:34 PM
https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/sandro-mamukelashvili-searches-place-wembanyama-18376688.php

bluebellmaniac
09-22-2023, 10:41 AM
https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/sandro-mamukelashvili-searches-place-wembanyama-18376688.php

Paywalled... ugh!

John B
09-22-2023, 11:40 AM

Thanks but I’m not subscribed to San Antonio Express News

J_Paco
09-27-2023, 11:12 AM

Cliff notes, please.

JPB
09-27-2023, 12:38 PM
After busy summer, Mamu searches for place on the Wembanyama Spurs

Armed with a new contract and propelled by a starring turn at the FIBA World Cup, the Spurs’ Sandro Mamukelashvili is eager for what comes next in San Antonio

Jeff McDonald, Staff Writer, Sep. 20, 2023.

For the record, Spurs forward Sandro Mamukelashvili did not know the horror he was about to unleash on teammate Jeremy Sochan when he took him to the top of the Tower of the Americas earlier this month.

A tourist at heart, Mamukelashvili was just hoping to experience a run-of-the-mill trip to the San Antonio landmark, 750 feet above the city’s skyline.

It turns out his traveling companion was not merely scared of heights.

“He’s very scared of heights,” Mamukelashvili said.

This being 2023, video of Sochan’s white-knuckle terror as Mamukelashvili coaxed him toward the tower’s observation deck went viral. When it comes for Sochan’s inevitable attempt at payback, Mamukelashvili has a few phobias of his own to exploit.

High speeds and confined spaces give Mamukelashvili the heebie-jeebies.

One thing Mamukelashvili is not afraid of, however, is heights.

After a summer spent starring for the national team in his native Georgia, and armed with a new Spurs contract, Mamukelashvili enters his third NBA season hoping to take his career to new ones.

“It’s a great spot to be,” Mamukelashvili said.

The 24-year-old Mamukelashvili came to the Spurs in March, days after being waived by Milwaukee.

Times have changed in San Antonio in the six months since Mamukelashvili arrived.

The Spurs of last spring were playing out the string on a fourth consecutive losing season, and were willing to give young, developing players like Mamukelashvili both a chance to play and a longer leash.

Mamukelashvili averaged 10.8 points and 6.8 rebounds in 19 mostly low-pressure games. With his combination of size, hard play and heady passing ability, “Mamu” became something of a fan favorite in the process.

“It was hard with Milwaukee to find my spot and to gel,” said Mamukelashvili, the 54th pick in the 2021 NBA draft. “We had a lot of older guys who took me under their wing like a little brother, but here (in San Antonio) everything is more my age. We’re all in the same situation.”

With the touchdown of No. 1 overall draft pick Victor Wembanyama this summer, the rebuilding process hit fast forward in San Antonio.

Which means so too did the development process for players such as Mamukelashvili.

The 6-foot-11 former Seton Hall standout is ready for a chance to draft in the wake of Wembymania.

Mamukelashvili entered the summer as a free agent, unsure of what his future held. On the first full day of his first NBA free agency period in July, Mamukelashvili was working out in a high school gym in San Antonio, since unsigned players are disallowed by league rule to use team facilities.

READ MORE: How often will Spurs' Victor Wembanyama play? A lot more than you might think.

It was there he took a stress-reducing phone call from coach Gregg Popovich, welcoming him back to the fold.

Mamukelashvili agreed to a one-year deal worth a fully guaranteed $2.1 million to return to the Spurs, a team he had loved growing up in the central Georgian city of Tbilisi.

“It was a great call,” Mamukelashvili said. “Not only me, but the whole country of Georgia is excited.”

Indeed, before Mamukelashvili could return to full-time duty with the Spurs, he had some business to cover overseas. In August, Mamukelashvili helped lead Georgia to its first-ever top 16 finish at the FIBA World Cup tournament in Japan.

It was a modest but impressive accomplishment for the small eastern European country of 3.7 million people.

Georgia clocked victories over Cape Verde and Venezuela, went toe-to-toe with a Luka Doncic-led Slovenian squad and was eventually dispatched by losses to World Cup champion Germany and perennial power Australia.

Mamukelashvili was the star of the show for Georgia, averaging 11 points and six rebounds while shooting 56 percent. If Mamukelashvili has his way, Georgia’s World Cup run will set the stage for next summer’s Olympic qualifying matches.

“That’s another big step for our country,” Mamukelashvili said. “We’re going to go against the world again. I want to elevate Georgia basketball and make it one of the best teams in Europe.”

In the meantime, Mamukelashvili believes the confidence gained during Georgia’s World Cup run will pay off as he returns to a less weighty role with the Spurs.

When training camp kicks off in early October, it should mark the start of what could be a pivotal season in Mamukelashvili’s fledgling NBA career.

He will be a free agent again next summer, and would like to prove to the Spurs he can be a long-term asset in the team they are constructing around Wembanyama.

In Milwaukee, Mamukelashvili played alongside another human marvel in Giannis Antetokounmpo. He views Wembanyama in the same vein as the two-time NBA Most Valuable Player – with one key difference.

Wembanyama, at age 19, already has a jump shot more reliable than that of Antetokounmpo.

“That already gives him an advantage of being an inside and outside threat,” Mamukelashvili said of his new rookie teammate. “I don’t know what he can develop to, because that’s not my job. But he’s definitely an alien.”
Mamukelashvili is determined to make himself a part of whatever comes next for Wembanyama and the Spurs.

Which is why mere days after finishing work with the Georgian national team in Japan, Mamukelashvili was on a flight back to his new adopted hometown of San Antonio.

“I came straight here, didn’t go home,” Mamukelashvili said. “I wanted to come back early and be with the guys. I’m happy to be back in the gym. You just want to gel and find your spot again.”

It is too soon to predict how far Mamukelashvili might rise in the Spurs’ pecking order.

This much is certain, however. As he contemplates the next step in his NBA career, it is a good thing Mamukelashvili is not afraid of heights.

John B
09-27-2023, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the post. Sochan afraid of heights is funny. I thought that dude is not scared of anything. But it’s cool.

Mamu has a great attitude. Sonehow this group of young guys have, already gelling together. We might have snother coffee gang, and it’s testament to Spurs culture, Pop’s dinners with the players, social awareness outside of basketball. I can’t wait to see what they all worked on this Summer.

drpill
09-27-2023, 02:06 PM
The video is hilarious: https://twitter.com/mololow/status/1700008349444796610

ace3g
11-18-2023, 04:03 PM
Hoping his impact last night didn't go unnoticed by the coaching staff.

Knoxxx
11-18-2023, 04:57 PM
MAMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The Truth #6
11-18-2023, 05:13 PM
Mamu was what the team needed. Not great individually but kept the team together. Super fun player. His passing was helpful as well. The funny thing is for power forwards who are getting trained to play as point guards, he's actually much better suited to the role. He can be our backup point guard. Joking?

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-18-2023, 06:39 PM
I’m not going to lie I’m not the biggest fan of Mamu, but I loved his energy last game. Hopefully he gets more minutes and keeps playing how he did.

ace3g
03-02-2024, 04:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y06FiJHY3FE