PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Don't Like Brothas from the Hood?

LkrFan
03-15-2023, 11:11 AM

Neither Wemby or Scoot are guarantees for the Spurs in the lottery. Would they really pass on Brandon Miller because of where he's from? SMH

Makes me wonder about all the stuff Stack5 said about CIA Pop, that eventually got him released from the Spurs tbh.

Thoughts?

exstatic
03-15-2023, 11:23 AM

Neither Wemby or Scoot are guarantees for the Spurs in the lottery. Would they really pass on Brandon Miller because of where he's from? SMH

Makes me wonder about all the stuff Stack5 said about CIA Pop, that eventually got him released from the Spurs tbh.

Thoughts?

Pop was covering for Tim by not telling the world that Stack5 banged on Amy Duncan. There was no meeting where Stack said he was better than Manu and Green. All a cover story to save Tim from being embarrassed.

BacktoBasics
03-15-2023, 11:26 AM
All kinds of questions get asked. Sometimes it has nothing to do with the actual question. They're more interested in how someone responds.

Mr. Body
03-15-2023, 11:46 AM
Who the fuck is Jordan Crawford?

exstatic
03-15-2023, 11:48 AM

Some guy drafted late first Rd in 2010 who played ~280 career NBA games.

LkrFan
03-15-2023, 12:08 PM
Pop was covering for Tim by not telling the world that Stack5 banged on Amy Duncan. There was no meeting where Stack said he was better than Manu and Green. All a cover story to save Tim from being embarrassed.

:wow

That's pretty low man. Stack5 was wrong for that tbh.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-15-2023, 12:11 PM

Funny, I said the same thing. Sounds like something some fool like Kendrick Perkins will pick up on and repeat though.

Mr. Body
03-15-2023, 12:12 PM
Did he go back to Detroit and get shot? Maybe they saved his life.

CGD
03-15-2023, 12:12 PM

Stephen Jackson banged Amy Duncan? Thought she got it in with a Golds Gym guy?

slick'81
03-15-2023, 12:34 PM
Stephen Jackson banged Amy Duncan? Thought she got it in with a Golds Gym guy?

she got around

spurraider21
03-15-2023, 12:48 PM
where's this story from?

Chinook
03-15-2023, 01:10 PM
I feel like the Amy thing is more of a story that "makes sense" than was actually confirmed. Jack sucked in 2013 and was dealing with a lot of personal issues. I have no reason to believe the Manu and Green conversation didn't happen. He might well have slept with Tim's wife, but then he'd've just done both. Even if Pop is covering for Duncan doesn't mean he wasn't referencing a real incident.

Also the Spurs drafted DeJounte. Obviously they don't have a prohibition against folks from the hood. Crawford, who's been making stupid comments recently, probably took them asking if he was going to be able to be professional going forward as them stereotyping him. He hasn't gotten to the point of accepting that he isn't in the NBA because he's not good enough and is still blaming "external factors".

lefty
03-15-2023, 01:27 PM
she got around
It's pretty obvious she had a 3 way with Pop and Bud

spurs1990
03-15-2023, 01:33 PM
I think Miller is a good kid and just made a wrong place wrong time decision that night. If he's what we think he is in this tournament, San Antonio shouldn't hesitate to draft him.

Only concern is his age graduating HS at 19. Not sure how bright he is to handle coach's system.

rjv
03-15-2023, 01:38 PM
spurs can't win-they draft him and one side will argue that they enabled an accomplice to murder (no matter how the actual facts play out), or they pass on him and are seen as just one more party given to passing judgement on a young Black man.

exstatic
03-15-2023, 02:12 PM
spurs can't win-they draft him and one side will argue that they enabled an accomplice to murder (no matter how the actual facts play out), or they pass on him and are seen as just one more party given to passing judgement on a young Black man.

I don't think they get wrapped up in such things. They draft the player that will be best, all around, for the team. If they think his past isn't as innocent as some here do, they won't worry about optics.

spurraider21
03-15-2023, 02:13 PM
I feel like the Amy thing is more of a story that "makes sense" than was actually confirmed. Jack sucked in 2013 and was dealing with a lot of personal issues. I have no reason to believe the Manu and Green conversation didn't happen. He might well have slept with Tim's wife, but then he'd've just done both. Even if Pop is covering for Duncan doesn't mean he wasn't referencing a real incident.

Also the Spurs drafted DeJounte. Obviously they don't have a prohibition against folks from the hood. Crawford, who's been making stupid comments recently, probably took them asking if he was going to be able to be professional going forward as them stereotyping him. He hasn't gotten to the point of accepting that he isn't in the NBA because he's not good enough and is still blaming "external factors".
can you refresh my memory on what pop said to "cover"? did pop tell the story about the manu/green convo? thought that was a jackson story, not a pop one

JPB
03-15-2023, 02:24 PM

Except he is not an accomplice to murder and you have zero ideas of how things actually went. And ofc how actual facts play out matters.... I mean infinitely more than strangers opinons on a fan board who know nothing about nothing about the case but act as if they did to draw definitive conclusions and glorify themselves as morale standards.

No one will blame an NBA team, including the spurs, or argue about anything, for drafting Miller. Don't confuse ST movies with reality.

Chinook
03-15-2023, 03:12 PM
can you refresh my memory on what pop said to "cover"? did pop tell the story about the manu/green convo? thought that was a jackson story, not a pop one

You are correct. Jackson originally told that story back in 2013 right after he was cut.

This is the earliest mention I've seen of it: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/stephen-jackson-confirms-rift-with-spurs-coach-gregg-popovich/

Blows a hole in the idea that it was a story invented by the Spurs to shield Duncan. If Jack did sleep with Tim's wife it either happened separately from that or the story itself was an excuse JACK made up to shield himself.

BacktoBasics
03-15-2023, 03:14 PM

Correct. It’s a no win.

When a black man passes a gun to a friend it’s accomplice to murder.

When a white man passes a gun to a friend it’s because he needed the gun for self defense.

spurraider21
03-15-2023, 03:14 PM
You are correct. Jackson originally told that story back in 2013 right after he was cut.

This is the earliest mention I've seen of it: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/stephen-jackson-confirms-rift-with-spurs-coach-gregg-popovich/

Blows a hole in the idea that it was a story invented by the Spurs to shield Duncan. If Jack did sleep with Tim's wife it either happened separately from that or the story itself was an excuse JACK made up to shield himself.
yeah, i cant imagine pop publicly saying "yeah so i sat stephen down and asked him to admit that manu and green are better players than him" lmao

scott
03-15-2023, 03:27 PM
yeah, i cant imagine pop publicly saying "yeah so i sat stephen down and asked him to admit that manu and green are better players than him" lmao

It seems very unlikely that it was ever about Pop wanting SJax to admit other players are better, but rather more likely Pop wanting SJax to understand his role on the team and stop complaining about playing time. Of course someone like Jack is going to hear what he wants, so it gets twisted to something else. Very similar to DJM’s confusing doublespeak on his time with the Spurs going back and forth between “they helped make me” and “they played mind games with me”.

The chip on these guy’s shoulders is so massive, it leads to some bizarre trains of thought.

rjv
03-15-2023, 03:27 PM
I don't think they get wrapped up in such things. They draft the player that will be best, all around, for the team. If they think his past isn't as innocent as some here do, they won't worry about optics.

i'm not saying anything about the spurs organization itself, because i don't see the spurs as being that either. i'm saying that this is what some ST posters and fans will make the narrative about. this thread being an example of that.

exstatic
03-15-2023, 03:29 PM
i'm not saying anything about the spurs organization itself, because i don't see the spurs as being that either. i'm saying that this is what some ST posters and fans will make the narrative about. this thread being an example of that.

I don't care about that at all. People will bitch about nearly anything.

rjv
03-15-2023, 03:29 PM
Correct. It’s a no win.

When a white man passes a gun to a friend it’s because he needed the gun for self defense.

that's why it's sickening to see mostly white crowds, in college station and at south carolina for instance, leading chants of "lock him up". it's just another demonstration of our society's rush to judgment when it comes to young Black men.

John B
03-15-2023, 03:36 PM

Thoughts?

28 teams passed on Dejounte Murray because of his troubled childhood. What do you think?

TD 21
03-15-2023, 03:41 PM

Just like other Spurs related stories that have been discussed ad nauseam and treated as fact for years.

When a lottery level talent falls to 29 and they have no notable youth and a desperate need in particular for a dynamic young guard, they don't. Outside of that specific scenario, they've clearly avoided them like the plague.

JPB
03-15-2023, 03:57 PM
28 teams passed on Dejounte Murray because of his troubled childhood. What do you think?

You're not serious, right? Now Murray should have been a #1 pick.

Murray was mocked in the secound round until up May as a raw player with bad handlings and bad shooter. Nothing to do with his childhood... He rised a little just before the draft up around the early 20s before being picked 29.

Chinook
03-15-2023, 04:08 PM
Just like other Spurs related stories that have been discussed ad nauseam and treated as fact for years.

When a lottery level talent falls to 29 and they have no notable youth and a desperate need in particular for a dynamic young guard, they don't. Outside of that specific scenario, they've clearly avoided them like the plague.

If the Spurs "avoid them like the plague" they wouldn't've even had Crawford in for an interview. Basketball more than most American sports is meritocratic in terms of talent over background. But all sports are filled with athletes who were privlieged to have access to the training and stability that are often lacking in "the hood". What this means is that there are a bunch of players who are not uber-talents but who are trained well who end up being the solid player the Spurs are in a position to draft every year. They've never shown a tendency to hold a player's background against them. Now, are there "real n-words" that the Spurs avoid? That's more likely. But as you know, black people are not a monolith, and there are plenty of black boys from the hood that don't carry the stereotypical attitude with them, just as there are middle-class black kids who develop that attitude (like Ja).

I feel like there's a certain burden of proof that goes with the charge that the Spurs care about background at all. There are situations like with KPJ that the Spurs chose to pass up on talent that came with baggage, but they haven't turned out to be bad choices. It's not like Haliburton, Jokic or Sengun were passed on because of their street reps.

K...
03-15-2023, 04:09 PM

What notable “hood“ prospects did we pass over? Most nba players dont run in gangs. They get siphoned into prep school and shit.

RC_Drunkford
03-15-2023, 04:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnoAxH9QtWA

K...
03-15-2023, 04:42 PM

What a fucking snowflake. This team deserves to move two fake Vegas if we pick soft staff like this . 50/50 this story isnt true and is a cover for something else

TD 21
03-15-2023, 04:44 PM
If the Spurs "avoid them like the plague" they wouldn't've even had Crawford in for an interview. Basketball more than most American sports is meritocratic in terms of talent over background. But all sports are filled with athletes who were privlieged to have access to the training and stability that are often lacking in "the hood". What this means is that there are a bunch of players who are not uber-talents but who are trained well who end up being the solid player the Spurs are in a position to draft every year. They've never shown a tendency to hold a player's background against them. Now, are there "real n-words" that the Spurs avoid? That's more likely. But as you know, black people are not a monolith, and there are plenty of black boys from the hood that don't carry the stereotypical attitude with them, just as there are middle-class black kids who develop that attitude (like Ja).

I feel like there's a certain burden of proof that goes with the charge that the Spurs care about background at all. There are situations like with KPJ that the Spurs chose to pass up on talent that came with baggage, but they haven't turned out to be bad choices. It's not like Haliburton, Jokic or Sengun were passed on because of their street reps.

Still got to do due diligence and keep up appearances.

Mostly agree on the rest, but you know the stereotype being discussed here and it's one they'd minimally clearly prefer to not have.

Yes, there's exceptions to the rule but they've generally (entirely?) been in bang for the buck type situations.

What notable “hood“ prospects did we pass over? Most nba players dont run in gangs. They get siphoned into prep school and shit.

It's not so much about specifics as it is in general, they've clearly avoided a certain background or profile, with the caveat I mentioned above.

exstatic
03-15-2023, 04:48 PM

Probably overblown, but I think in this case, having been burned by this program already, they'll probably do a very thorough background check. Primo literally cost them millions in two ways, his wasted paychecks this year and next, and the suit they settled with the psychologist.

BacktoBasics
03-15-2023, 05:01 PM

This is the American gun culture far right extremists get all hot and bothered by. These fucking mouth breathing gun tards think it’s just another bs story by the msm to “steal muh guns”. The mistake isn’t the irresponsible gun owner who fired carelessly into a vehicle over nothing. It’s the Canadaland guy’s failure to return fire.

BacktoBasics
03-15-2023, 05:02 PM
What a fucking snowflake. This team deserves to move two fake Vegas if we pick soft staff like this . 50/50 this story isnt true and is a cover for something else

Case in point

K...
03-15-2023, 05:10 PM
Case in point

Im joking mostly. People not familiar with the good parts of SA can find shit like this, and i dont doubt you can get trauma for being assaulted by guns. But thousands of people get held up and dont get to go to Canada. For better or worse gun culture is america and we should save our outrage for the kid killing psychos and give jr gun machismo guys a break. You wear out your outrage too easily.

K...
03-15-2023, 05:30 PM

Mostly agree on the rest, but you know the stereotype being discussed here and it's one they'd minimally clearly prefer to not have.

Yes, there's exceptions to the rule but they've generally (entirely?) been in bang for the buck type situations.

It's not so much about specifics as it is in general, they've clearly avoided a certain background or profile, with the caveat I mentioned above.

When drake became the biggest rap artist you know gang culture is dead. Black kids have internet now. The gangs are still there but they dont drive culture. The NBA became bigger and scouting starts sooner. None of the players today are gangster. Kawhi leonard the spurs vaunted boogeyman was not gang affiliated. Nba players and draftees are the cream of the crop. They will not have time to be drug runners or whatever. Thats why your statement is a bit whack.

The spurs big misses:haliburton, sengun, etc are not gangster

BacktoBasics
03-15-2023, 05:40 PM
Im joking mostly. People not familiar with the good parts of SA can find shit like this, and i dont doubt you can get trauma for being assaulted by guns. But thousands of people get held up and dont get to go to Canada. For better or worse gun culture is america and we should save our outrage for the kid killing psychos and give jr gun machismo guys a break. You wear out your outrage too easily.
Or we should actually fix the cultural problems with real reform rather than political pandering or worse rolling back common sense policies because politicians think owning libs is more important than protecting lives.

Ironically while saving fetuses for their long life of abuse, neglect and poverty.

JPB
03-15-2023, 06:05 PM

Not discussing your point in a vacuum, but truth is we don't really know what their criterion were to check or not certain prospects. Rodman was a spur, Murray too, while others players with heavy background were passed on. So they're just probablly focusing on personality, as they should, the same way they are with any other player... I mean spurs passed on a boatload of "clean" players too...So ITVs and getting info and tips from "friends" who dealt with those players are certainly key to their decisions independently of their background.

It's also true that school, College then NBA keep them away from the crap before they get eventually married and settle in life. you're not necessarliy the same as a teen and an adult. Plenty of examples of gangsta teens wising up as adults.

JPB
03-15-2023, 06:10 PM
Or we should actually fix the cultural problems with real reform rather than political pandering or worse rolling back common sense policies because politicians think owning libs is more important than protecting lives.

Ironically while saving fetuses for their long life of abuse, neglect and poverty.

Saving fetuses in the name of God to let them getting shot once in school. Then "Prayers!"...

MultiTroll
03-15-2023, 06:36 PM
sauce?

where's this story from?

Mr. Body
03-15-2023, 07:10 PM
Um, why is anybody believing Jordan Crawford? The whole thing sounds like horseshit. In the age of Trump, you'd think we'd do better than believe somebody on media just running their mouths.

slick'81
03-15-2023, 07:32 PM
The boyz ftom the hood are always hard

John B
03-15-2023, 07:39 PM
You're not serious, right? Now Murray should have been a #1 pick.

Murray was mocked in the secound round until up May as a raw player with bad handlings and bad shooter. Nothing to do with his childhood... He rised a little just before the draft up around the early 20s before being picked 29.

My bad. But my point was the Spurs were not turned-off by DJ’s childhood troubled, but rather saw a kid rising from situations, which they were right about him as a hard worker, just wrong about being a big mouth bitch

slick'81
03-15-2023, 07:40 PM
My bad. But my point was the Spurs were not turned-off by DJ’s childhood troubled, but rather saw a kid rising from situations, which they were right about him as a hard worker, just wrong about being a big mouth bitch

no way you can predict someone being a bitch

JPB
03-15-2023, 07:46 PM
Um, why is anybody believing Jordan Crawford? The whole thing sounds like horseshit. In the age of Trump, you'd think we'd do better than believe somebody on media just running their mouths.

That might be right but just a classic way for interviewers to test people reaction with a surprising and disturbing question. Players are conditioned to answer classic, PC answers their agents teach them and teams have heard one million times.

Maddog
03-15-2023, 07:49 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.basketballnews.com/stories/amp/international-basketball-feature-ex-nba-jordan-crawford-sichuan-blue-whales-cam-thomas-alvin-gentry-mark-jackson-xavier-musketeers-lebron-james-dunk-chinese-basketball-association-cba-detroit

S
He's got a lot of complaints
Some have a small amount of validity. Some degree of NBA success is based on where you land. That said no one really wanted to keep him around
Interestingly he has the 8th highest ppg in the 2010 draft (really bad draft)

If Picking past 1, I suspect the Spurs will definitely look at Miller.
I also think they will look more critically than others would

Chinook
03-15-2023, 08:08 PM
Probably overblown, but I think in this case, having been burned by this program already, they'll probably do a very thorough background check. Primo literally cost them millions in two ways, his wasted paychecks this year and next, and the suit they settled with the psychologist.

Oh, I think there's good reason to be cautious on Miller. I really do like him as a player, but you can't mess around with guns like that. I have no idea if he's "hood" though. Most of us live or have lived in Texas -- we should be under no illusions that you have to be from a "bad neighborhood" to do stupid stuff with a gun. Crawford assuming the Spurs being cautious around a guy who may be an accessory to murder is the same thing as having a prejudice against "the hood" is stupid. The folks who think doing stupid shit with guns and having friends who are murderers is somehow quintessential to being a "real" black person is stupid and racist.

The Spurs absolutely should be cautious about an Alabama program that seems to love sweeping awful shit under the rug. If this weren't a possible third-best player at a premium position, I imagine he wouldn't be on their list at all. No I think it's going to come down to value and the interview. We'll see. I would definitely assume that if they were to select him they would've done all kinds of due diligence on him. Wright's job would likely depend on it.

rascal
03-15-2023, 08:34 PM

It sounds true to me. A lot of crazies with guns in San Antonio.

rankingtear
03-18-2023, 09:48 PM
I don't think this has something to do where he is from. It is mostly because there are death threats on him for his participation in the shooting. I think it was mentioned he is under heavy security.

BackHome
03-18-2023, 10:56 PM
It sounds true to me. A lot of crazies with guns in San Antonio.

Try living in Chicago..lol

offset formation
03-19-2023, 11:11 AM

All unimportantif we landWembanyama

offset formation
03-19-2023, 11:19 AM
Correct. It’s a no win.

True. But when a person passes a gun to a friend that uses said weapon to murder someone else, that person may or may not have partial responsibility depending on why the gun was transferred. What did he know of the backstory? Does someone not have a moral obligationto be crystal clear of the intended use of the person to whom you give a gun?

BacktoBasics
03-19-2023, 11:39 AM
True. But when a person passes a gun to a friend that uses said weapon to murder someone else, that person may or may not have partial responsibility depending on why the gun was transferred. What did he know of the backstory? Does someone not have a moral obligationto be crystal clear of the intended use of the person to whom you give a gun?
He didn’t pass the gun to someone who committed murder. That person is Miles and he was charged. He gave the gun to Miles who then gave it to the murderer.

In its most simplistic form. Miller handed the gun to Miles for “self defense”. Miller had no knowledge of what it would be used for. Miles then handed the gun to the shooter who killed the girl.

Being that Miles was charged it appears that the distinction is that 1 degree of separation. Considering they pulled the texts and the exchange between Miles and Miller have no indication of intent.

The way the law is written also protected Miller from being charged.

The more information that comes out the more it looks like Miller truly didn’t know.

We can argue that even having the gun and passing it off at that hour speaks to questionable judgment but I’ve been to a ton of redneck gun nutter parties where guns are exchanged and fired all hours if the night. So at the very least he should be afforded the same protective assumptions given to “good white guys with guns”.

south side spur
03-19-2023, 12:11 PM
He didn’t pass the gun to someone who committed murder. That person is Miles and he was charged. He gave the gun to Miles who then gave it to the murderer.

In its most simplistic form. Miller handed the gun to Miles for “self defense”. Miller had no knowledge of what it would be used for. Miles then handed the gun to the shooter who killed the girl.

Being that Miles was charged it appears that the distinction is that 1 degree of separation. Considering they pulled the texts and the exchange between Miles and Miller have no indication of intent.

The way the law is written also protected Miller from being charged.

The more information that comes out the more it looks like Miller truly didn’t know.

We can argue that even having the gun and passing it off at that hour speaks to questionable judgment but I’ve been to a ton of redneck gun nutter parties where guns are exchanged and fired all hours if the night. So at the very least he should be afforded the same protective assumptions given to “good white guys with guns”.

Also, according to testimony Miller did not handle the gun. When Miller returned to the area where Miles and Davis were it was Miles who told Davis the gun was in the back seat and that it was loaded. The only thing Miles texted Miller was that he needed his gun back because someone was “faking”, or threatening them. That’s why Miller wasn’t charged with a crime. No intent could be proven.

scott
03-19-2023, 03:07 PM
Posted this in another thread. The most details thus far of the incident. It looks like Miller is largely owed apologies. https://patch.com/alabama/tuscaloosa/new-evidence-provides-compelling-account-bama-hoops-murder-case

offset formation
03-19-2023, 07:35 PM
Also, according to testimony Miller did not handle the gun. When Miller returned to the area where Miles and Davis were it was Miles who told Davis the gun was in the back seat and that it was loaded. The only thing Miles texted Miller was that he needed his gun back because someone was “faking”, or threatening them. That’s why Miller wasn’t charged with a crime. No intent could be proven.

But this is the problem with gun culture. The thing has a purpose and that purpose all too often ends with the taking of a life when discharged. At some point a weapon registered under one person has to be held accountable to some degree or another. He's not the guy that was originally portrayed but hes also a guy that had a gun used in the commissionof an alleged murder. Theres a life that might still be atound if Miller didnt own a gun, or lend it to someone seemingly so easily.

I just wish these kids would stop arming themselves.

south side spur
03-19-2023, 09:33 PM
But this is the problem with gun culture. The thing has a purpose and that purpose all too often ends with the taking of a life when discharged. At some point a weapon registered under one person has to be held accountable to some degree or another. He's not the guy that was originally portrayed but hes also a guy that had a gun used in the commissionof an alleged murder. Theres a life that might still be atound if Miller didnt own a gun, or lend it to someone seemingly so easily.

I just wish these kids would stop arming themselves.

The weapon is not registered to Miller and while he did transport the gun it was apparently owned by Miles so what you’re advocating for is what the court actually decided. Miles lent the weapon to Davis and both are being charged. The media isn’t really stating the obvious but Miles left the gun in Miller’s car when he got dropped off to party with Davis.

offset formation
03-19-2023, 10:47 PM
The weapon is not registered to Miller and while he did transport the gun it was apparently owned by Miles so what you’re advocating for is what the court actually decided. Miles lent the weapon to Davis and both are being charged. The media isn’t really stating the obvious but Miles left the gun in Miller’s car when he got dropped off to party with Davis.

Hmmm. That's news to me. Was under the impression from all prior reports ir was Miller's gun. Would greatly reduce the moral responsibilities on him if it wasn't him. Hoping for his sake AND the Spurs if they get the 2nd pick so there's ZERO hesitation in selecting the dude if they see him as that guy aside from Wembanyama.

scott
03-20-2023, 01:45 AM
Hmmm. That's news to me. Was under the impression from all prior reports ir was Miller's gun. Would greatly reduce the moral responsibilities on him if it wasn't him. Hoping for his sake AND the Spurs if they get the 2nd pick so there's ZERO hesitation in selecting the dude if they see him as that guy aside from Wembanyama.

Read the link I posted above. It’s the first actual journalism I’ve seen on the topic.

Marcus Bryant
03-24-2023, 10:03 PM
So Ghost Writer never left.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-27-2023, 04:57 PM
So Ghost Writer never left.

Well, we know the Spurs don't like those headbands. GW argued that point quite well.