PDA

View Full Version : Texas takes over Harris County public schools

Winehole23
03-15-2023, 01:56 PM
Texas officials on Wednesday announced a state takeover of Houston’s (https://apnews.com/article/takeover-texas-houston-schools-7b1c480c53beb13dc9c814b8138b4639) nearly 200,000-student public school district, the eighth-largest in the country, acting on years of threats and angering Democrats who assailed the move as political.

The announcement, made by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott’s education commissioner, Mike Morath, amounts to one of the largest school takeovers ever in the U.S. It also deepens a high-stakes rift between Texas’ largest city, where Democrats wield control locally and state Republican leaders have sought increasing authority following election fumbles (https://apnews.com/article/texas-state-elections-houston-4db88098bbf9eff4a1437e64d686cc46) and COVID-19 restrictions. (https://apnews.com/article/texas-lifts-covid-19-mask-mandate-ed7cd1b065a1afd71175f255fb5148aa)

In a letter to the Houston Independent School District, Morath said the Texas Education Agency will replace Superintendent Millard House II and the district’s elected board of trustees with an appointed board of managers made of residents from within the district’s boundaries.

Morath said the board has failed to improve student outcomes while conducting “chaotic board meetings marred by infighting” and violating open meetings act and procurement laws. He accused the district of failing to provide proper special education services and of violating state and federal laws with its approach to supporting students with disabilities.
https://apnews.com/article/houston-schools-texas-takeover-eae680bec5fbd3b419c2583fb850d42e

koriwhat
03-15-2023, 02:33 PM
WGAF state run or dem run it's all the same indoctrination stations tbh with no ROI in the kids because the teachers are fucking horrible and cultists who kneel to woke ideology unfortunately.

daboom1
03-15-2023, 03:05 PM
https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-P6zjqIlw3DgAyJyP-CQSIFA-t500x500.jpg

pgardn
03-15-2023, 03:14 PM
WGAF state run or dem run it's all the same indoctrination stations tbh with no ROI in the kids because the teachers are fucking horrible and cultists who kneel to woke ideology unfortunately.

Why do you think the teachers are horrible?
Are the teachers horrible in NISD and NESD as well?

koriwhat
03-15-2023, 03:17 PM
Why do you think the teachers are horrible?
Are the teachers horrible in NISD and NESD as well?

They're horrible all over this country. Why are you playing coy when you could just check the stats PG?

pgardn
03-15-2023, 03:22 PM
They're horrible all over this country. Why are you playing coy when you could just check the stats PG?

Because you are fkn wrong.
Look how kids perform in PUBLIC schools with a high socioeconomic status.
I went to a very good public school in this city and got a very good education that prepared me very well for undergraduate and graduate school.
And I was not the valedictorian or close to it. You are just flat out wrong.

The worst public schools accompany the poorest people. Its not rocket science to understand this.

Ef-man
03-15-2023, 03:27 PM
I went to a very good public school in this city and got a very good education that prepared me very well for undergraduate and graduate school.

The worst public schools accompany the poorest people. Its not rocket science to understand this.

Really, who GAF about an 11th grade flunky venting about school systems? :lol

pgardn
03-15-2023, 03:30 PM
Really, who GAF about an 11th grade flunky venting about school systems? :lol

He quit in the 11 th grade?

Adam Lambert
03-15-2023, 03:33 PM
Big government republicans doing big government things

Ef-man
03-15-2023, 03:36 PM
He quit in the 11 th grade?

Yup, he is the ST board flunky.

boutons_deux
03-15-2023, 04:38 PM
This fascist govt by TX shitbags, behind the pretext that BLUE Houston's ISD was failing.

How will the Repug toadies on the board and other changes improve HISD students' performance?

It fucking won't

koriwhat
03-15-2023, 05:07 PM

I'm wrong while you reminisce about how schooling USED TO BE and conflating it with today's public education. Sure bud! :lol

pgardn
03-15-2023, 05:10 PM
Yup, he is the ST board flunky.

Well thats to bad.
I know kids that quit who were quite bright but just did not like the whole setup. They could not sit and learn.
Imo trade schools should something looked upon as something worthwhile if they can get one a job that is preferable for that person.
There is no doubt some high schools just check rudimentary boxes that pass kids so that an employer knows they show up for work, can read and write and do some math. Nothing wrong with this except if they could be also learning something more useful and tailored to their strengths it would be useful. In my experience just helping friends with tear down and remodels there is a lot of need for good people who know how to put things together properly and promptly.

pgardn
03-15-2023, 05:12 PM
I'm wrong while you reminisce about how schooling USED TO BE and conflating it with today's public education. Sure bud! :lol

It STILL IS.

How many teachers do you know and how much volunteer tutoring have you done?
You live in your own tiny hole.

Good schools are often associated with higher socioeconomic areas.
You dont believe this? The classes taught now are more advanced than what I took.
There are MORE AP classes.

Blake
03-15-2023, 05:32 PM

You came out great tho

Blake
03-15-2023, 05:33 PM

You'll never post the stats

Blake
03-15-2023, 05:34 PM
https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-P6zjqIlw3DgAyJyP-CQSIFA-t500x500.jpg

Maybe now you'll get the prayers in school you desperately want

koriwhat
03-15-2023, 05:44 PM
It STILL IS.

How many teachers do you know and how much volunteer tutoring have you done?
You live in your own tiny hole.

Good schools are often associated with higher socioeconomic areas.
You dont believe this? The classes taught now are more advanced than what I took.
There are MORE AP classes.

Yes there are way more AP classes but there's more teachers also becoming best buds with their students and preaching the bs they preach to them. Why are most kids inept at the most minuscule of tasks? Where's their critical thinking skills at? Individuality? Etc...

You thinking I am just bitching and moaning because drones are being produced is ludicrous. These kids may be book smart but they're dumb af when it comes to the reality of life itself.

And no I don't live in a tiny hole of my own. You do realize I come in contact with a more diverse amount of people than you do on a more intimate level day in and day out, right? I get to listen to their hour(s) long stories about their lives and those around them. Not that I really want to be someones ear to lean on but that's what this business is thought to be about but it sure does seem to be one aspect of it.

pgardn
03-15-2023, 05:44 PM

I am playing coy... you dont even know what the fk coy means.
I told you NISD and NESD have some excellent schools.
Do you want the names of some the individual schools so you can look up stats?

Now I will say it appears that covid such a bunch of kids back.
But there are some very good teachers teaching very good classes. There are some very good teachers teaching very basic classes.
Where the hell did you go to school that was so horrible for you?

pgardn
03-15-2023, 05:52 PM
Yes there are way more AP classes but there's more teachers also becoming best buds with their students and preaching the bs they preach to them. Why are most kids inept at the most minuscule of tasks? Where's their critical thinking skills at? Individuality? Etc...

You thinking I am just bitching and moaning because drones are being produced is ludicrous. These kids may be book smart but they're dumb af when it comes to the reality of life itself.

And no I don't live in a tiny hole of my own. You do realize I come in contact with a more diverse amount of people than you do on a more intimate level day in and day out, right? I get to listen to their hour(s) long stories about their lives and those around them. Not that I really want to be someones ear to lean on but that's what this business is thought to be about but it sure does seem to be one aspect of it.

You dont even help in the schools.
gtfoh you have no clue what you are writing.
We are talking about the schools.
Just because you did not fit in dont pretend everyone else you. You sound like these old conservative farts "well in my day I nailed my head to the ground, for common sense purposes"

And socially HS is very tough on some people and thats where a lot of the hate comes from, not the teaching and material.
You want socially awkward, have them home schooled.

You dont have a fkn clue fk Ukraine.... holy shit, you are just willfully hateful.
I guess its good you work alone and just get to listen to the shit like a barber or bartender. That IS the real world.
I work with other people together, I have to. Otherwise PROJECTS that require diverse expertise DONT get done.
Its called cooperation and respect.

koriwhat
03-15-2023, 05:52 PM
I am playing coy... you dont even know what the fk coy means.
I told you NISD and NESD have some excellent schools.
Do you want the names of some the individual schools so you can look up stats?

Now I will say it appears that covid such a bunch of kids back.
But there are some very good teachers teaching very good classes. There are some very good teachers teaching very basic classes.
Where the hell did you go to school that was so horrible for you?

You say I don't know what coy means as if that's reality. Why are you so bitter PG? Is it the multitude of hidden cams coming out about teachers doing less teaching and more indoctrinating?

Yes there's AP classes but there's also dipshit kids with no clue about the reality around them whether they're just dumb af or in those AP classes.

pgardn
03-15-2023, 05:55 PM
You say I don't know what coy means as if that's reality. Why are you so bitter PG? Is it the multitude of hidden cams coming out about teachers doing less teaching and more indoctrinating?

Yes there's AP classes but there's also dipshit kids with no clue about the reality around them whether they're just dumb af or in those AP classes.

Yes there are.
They are fkn teenagers!
Are you saying you understood the world as a teenager, you had it all figured out?
What the fk is wrong with you?

Hidden cams? No cherry picking eh?
I have seen wide open cams on Zoom etc... with teachers teaching doing a great job. I have had the chance to help out with some of it.

koriwhat
03-15-2023, 05:56 PM
Just because you did not fit in dont pretend everyone else is.

I work with other people together, I have to. Otherwise PROJECTS that require diverse expertise DONT get done.
Its called cooperation and respect.

What do you mean I didn't fit in back in HS or whatever? I fit in just fine with everyone tbh. What the fuck do you actually know?

I'm glad not to work with those like you and pretend that I give af about my coworkers. Been there, done that.

koriwhat
03-15-2023, 05:57 PM
Yes there are.
They are fkn teenagers!
Are you saying you understood the world as a teenager, you had it all figured out?

These are your words PG. You do this time and time again. Why keep acting like you're not projecting?

I never said I have anything figured out let alone as a teen. :lol

pgardn
03-15-2023, 06:01 PM
What do you mean I didn't fit in back in HS or whatever? I fit in just fine with everyone tbh. What the fuck do you actually know?

I'm glad not to work with those like you and pretend that I give af about my coworkers. Been there, done that.

Ill tell you what I know.
I know you dont know wtf you are talking about when you over reach and say schools are awful.
Go BACK and read my first statement and look at the title of the thread.
Quit being a dumbass.

You dont even know me. And yes you could not work WITH me. I cant tattoo and you cant do molecular biology. I must work with people. And I must meet people who work with people to see new concepts and techniques. I HAVE TO get along with people. If you dont, good for you. It appears to fit your personality.

pgardn
03-15-2023, 06:05 PM
These are your words PG. You do this time and time again. Why keep acting like you're not projecting?

I never said I have anything figured out let alone as a teen. :lol

Then quit saying kids are stupid because schools made them that way.
Yes, you basically said this.
Your doom and gloom for the young people coming out of HS who have much to offer is ridiculous.
HOUSTON ISD is a very poor school district. Its very difficult to teach a group who starts out WAY behind in so many ways.
If you are saying poor people in the US have less of a chance in school I totally agree with you.
But thats not what you said. You made a stupid blanket statement.

Winehole23
03-16-2023, 12:24 AM
Abbott's political appointees will have the professionalism and know how to improve educational outcomes in Harris County. Just watch.

Winehole23
03-16-2023, 01:18 AM
They're gonna fix disparate outcomes too. Because they care a lot about that, and they know how to fix it.

boutons_deux
03-16-2023, 10:15 AM
Abbott's political appointees will have the professionalism and know how to improve educational outcomes in Harris County. Just watch.

yep, it will be a disaster, politicized lesson plans, firing of longtime best teachers, defunding schools.

taking over HISD is also intimidation of all the Dem TX cities.

pgardn
03-16-2023, 11:31 AM
Love to see Abbott's TEA officials go in and teach in those Houston schools.

Blake
03-16-2023, 12:30 PM
Love to see Abbott's TEA officials go in and teach in those Houston schools.

They need to install their confederate war hero collectible action figure statues

pgardn
03-16-2023, 12:35 PM
They need to install their confederate war hero collectible action figure statues

Or maybe re enact slavery as a way of promoting a better understanding of the largest war on US soil.

Ef-man
03-16-2023, 03:46 PM
Or maybe re enact slavery as a way of promoting a better understanding of the largest war on US soil.

And explain how the slaves were better off than when they were freed.

Winehole23
03-17-2023, 12:44 AM
They need to install their confederate war hero collectible action figure statuesThe biggest one is still there.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Confederate_Dead_monument_in_front_of_Texas_State_ Capitol-front_view.JPG

koriwhat
03-17-2023, 01:08 PM
You dont even know me.

Ain't that rich coming from you who assumes everything under the sun about me. :lmao

Then quit saying kids are stupid because schools made them that way.
Yes, you basically said this.
Your doom and gloom for the young people coming out of HS who have much to offer is ridiculous.
HOUSTON ISD is a very poor school district. Its very difficult to teach a group who starts out WAY behind in so many ways.
If you are saying poor people in the US have less of a chance in school I totally agree with you.
But thats not what you said. You made a stupid blanket statement.

Kids are stupid these days and it has nothing to do with their "book smarts". What aren't you comprehending here?

Winehole23
03-18-2023, 08:55 PM
Harris County isn't the worst school district, far from it.

GOP is mad that Dems control everything else there

Winehole23
06-02-2023, 10:14 PM
State preemption is about reversing elections in Texas cities.

Winehole23
11-22-2023, 02:43 PM
PragerU is unaccredited and unaffiliated, academically speaking. It's also politically biased.

For those reasons, it could be a great set piece for teaching about bias and critical thinking.

PragerU, the video’s creator, describes itself as “the world’s leading conservative nonprofit that is focused on changing minds through the creative use of digital media.” It has published content on the supposed dangers of gender-affirming care (https://www.prageru.com/video/detrans) and how slavery may have benefitted Black people (https://youtu.be/bP77DdZbA_M?feature=shared). Despite the name, it is not a university.

The video was included in PowerPoint slides created by HISD for a course called the “Art of Thinking,” a feature of Superintendent Mike Miles’ new program for 85 schools. The lesson plans, obtained by the Houston Landing, means the video likely reached students at the 73 overhauled elementary and middle schools.

HISD will discontinue the use of PragerU content going forward, Chief Communication Officer Leila Walsh said Tuesday in response to questions from the Landing. The district had included the video with the intent of helping students assess the reliability of information and recognize hidden biases, using examples they may encounter in the real world, she said.

“The lesson was designed to help students think critically about the accuracy and subjectivity of information. After speaking with the curriculum team, they have decided to no longer use PragerU video content,” Walsh wrote in an email.
https://houstonlanding.org/conservative-prageru-video-questioning-climate-change-shown-in-dozens-of-houston-isd-classes/

Winehole23
05-12-2024, 04:58 PM
Miles just let all the HISD custodians go, but they're free to reapply for their old jobs at reduced pay, with no benefits.

State surplus and billions in the rainy day fund, but somehow Texas fails to fully fund public schools.

That's a basic failure of government with generational impact. TEA intentionally trashing HISD will end badly for all but the politically connected privatizers.

Thread
05-12-2024, 05:12 PM
Miles just let all the HISD custodians go, but they're free to reapply for their old jobs at reduced pay, with no benefits.

State surplus and billions in the rainy day fund, but somehow Texas fails to fully fund public schools.

That's a basic failure of government with generational impact. TEA intentionally trashing HISD will end badly for all but the politically connected privatizers.

The days of wine & roses is over, cept for the millions of Nazi's in Ukraine. Only cost us, what, Winester,,,about a million American lives & still counting.

"Shut it down."
tee, hee.

Blake
05-12-2024, 05:25 PM

No problem just make the teachers grab a broom and a toilet bowl cleaner. They get summers off etc

Thread
05-12-2024, 05:35 PM
No problem just make the teachers grab a broom and a toilet bowl cleaner. They get summers off etc

That ain't the point, fart-face. The "I'll shut it down!" COVID money has been cut off, cept in Ukraine for the millions of Nazi's in there, sport.

And we're only light about a million (and still counting) Americans and those 13 out at Dover when Genocidal Joe wore his watch. They was comin' home from stan.

[[[Oh, the weather outside is frightful, inside it is so delightful.]]]

Winehole23
05-15-2024, 09:20 AM
Miles is just the guy we need to wreck Harris County public schools

Spectrum News reported on Monday that the Third Future Schools charter school network, based in Colorado and founded by Miles, was using funds from the network’s Odessa school to offset losses at its Aurora, Colorado school. Miles’ sister now runs Third Future Schools.

Spectrum also reported that Miles received $40,000 last year consulting for Third Future Schools, which was dealing with deep financial setbacks leading to the closure of a Colorado school and $5 million in unpaid debt.

Third Future Schools was created in 2016 after Miles left the superintendent’s job at Dallas ISD. The charter school chain expanded into Texas in 2020, opening three schools in Odessa, Midland and Austin. The Texas expansion, according to Spectrum News, occurred about the time the Colorado schools were showing signs of financial distress.

By the end of 2023, the Texas schools had already accumulated more than $2.5 million dollars in debt, Spectrum News reported in its monthslong investigation.

The news outlet reported that the three Texas schools received $25 million in taxpayer dollars. About $15 million went to teachers and staff. But another $10 million was listed by Third Future Schools as unspecified administrative costs. Subsequent public documents obtained by Spectrum News revealed that more than $2 million went from Third Future Schools’ Texas operation to help cover losses at a Colorado school.https://www.texastribune.org/2024/05/14/hisd-mike-miles-tea-investigation/

Blake
05-15-2024, 02:38 PM
It's like he was picked for the sole purpose of torching the county schools

ChumpDumper
05-15-2024, 02:53 PM

That's exactly why he was picked.

Thread
05-15-2024, 04:46 PM

That's exactly why he was picked.

You aint' turnin' Texas, ya clodhoppers, you!

Winehole23
05-17-2024, 05:36 AM

Winehole23
06-09-2024, 07:47 AM
The Texas lege and the TEA are intentionally wrecking Harris County schools.

Thread
06-09-2024, 11:38 AM
The Texas lege and the TEA are intentionally wrecking Harris County schools.

They was already wrecked and nothing more than a pile of pure shit.

Winehole23
06-09-2024, 07:11 PM
Tactically it makes sense, if you can wreck the biggest school district in Texas and replace it with a partisan kluge, that partisan kluge can serve as the model for replacing public education in the rest of the state.

Thread
06-09-2024, 07:30 PM
The biggest one is still there.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Confederate_Dead_monument_in_front_of_Texas_State_ Capitol-front_view.JPG

Thank Christ, I've recently joined up with a gaggle of Civil War Confederate Groups on the Facebook. They love old Cubby on there. tee, hee.

Thread
06-09-2024, 07:31 PM
Tactically it makes sense, if you can wreck the biggest school district in Texas and replace it with a partisan kluge, that partisan kluge can serve as the model for replacing public education in the rest of the state.

...God's speed.

Winehole23
06-09-2024, 07:55 PM

Winehole23
06-09-2024, 07:57 PM
Republicans have controlled Texas and the TBOE for 30 years. To suddenly say the TBOE approved curriculum is demon-indwelt because it doesn't conform seamlessly to the 2024 GOP platform, is not only radical, but bonkers.

pgardn
06-09-2024, 08:51 PM
Texas gonna make sure it has a large uneducated workforce so we can use immigrants to do our thinking.
We are going to try and out dumb Mississippi.

Winehole23
06-09-2024, 09:04 PM
Texas gonna make sure it has a large uneducated workforce so we can use immigrants to do our thinking.
We are going to try and out dumb Mississippi. Immigrants are better educated than native Texans in the aggregate -- even Central American immigrants believe it or not -- so that's not the worst idea...

Thread
06-09-2024, 09:50 PM
Immigrants are better educated than native Texans in the aggregate -- even Central American immigrants believe it or not -- so that's not the worst idea...

..."Sure, Jan."