PDA

View Full Version : Spurs legends Pop, Parker, Hammon, and Pau made the hall of fame

spurraider21
03-28-2023, 07:24 PM

Maddog
03-28-2023, 07:33 PM
I wonder if Tim will introduce both TP and Pop

Dex
03-28-2023, 07:43 PM

Tim should go up with Pop, Manu should go up with Parker

baseline bum
03-28-2023, 08:07 PM
Wow I didn't know this was going to be such a monster class. Had no idea Dirk and Wade were eligible this year.

CGD
03-28-2023, 08:16 PM
This and Manu last year completes the first crop of the foreign stars to make the Hall. These guys ushered in a new era in basketball becoming a truly global sport.

baseline bum
03-28-2023, 08:21 PM
This and Manu last year completes the first crop of the foreign stars to make the Hall.

???

Petrovic, Sabonis, Marciulionis are all in the HOF and they played decades ago

CGD
03-28-2023, 08:42 PM
???

Petrovic, Sabonis, Marciulionis are all in the HOF and they played decades ago

Yeah, but those were distinguishable situations.

Unlike this class of inductees, the players you list built the strength of their resumes abroad and later came to the NBA. Petrovic played 3 or 4 years in the NBA, Sabonis had like 5, and, while
Marciulionis was closer to 7, he like the others didn’t really have the accolades in the NBA (all star appearances, ROY, MIP, 6ths man, final mvps, etc).

In contrast, the strength of the resumes of this class of foreigners was forged in the NBA. They earned the accolades and were critical and if not the best pieces on championship teams. In this way this group of foreigners were the “first” of a kind.

John B
03-28-2023, 08:53 PM
Damn that’s awesome. Congrats Tony and Pop.

spurraider21
03-28-2023, 08:54 PM
Damn that’s awesome. Goodluck Tony and Pop.
good luck with what? they made it

John B
03-28-2023, 09:00 PM
good luck with what? they made it

Thanks bruh my bad.

SASdynasty!
03-28-2023, 09:06 PM
Lol to haters who didn’t think Parker would be a first-ballot HOFer ��. Delusional Mills/Murray stans ��

baseline bum
03-28-2023, 09:07 PM
Yeah, but those were distinguishable situations.

Unlike this class of inductees, the players you list built the strength of their resumes abroad and later came to the NBA. Petrovic played 3 or 4 years in the NBA, Sabonis had like 5, and, while
Marciulionis was closer to 7, he like the others didn’t really have the accolades in the NBA (all star appearances, ROY, MIP, 6ths man, final mvps, etc).

In contrast, the strength of the resumes of this class of foreigners was forged in the NBA. They earned the accolades and were critical and if not the best pieces on championship teams. In this way this group of foreigners were the “first” of a kind.

Ah that makes sense

offset formation
03-28-2023, 09:09 PM

I'm thinking TP's good bro and Spurs exec Brent Barry inducts him

SpurPadre
03-28-2023, 10:41 PM
Congrats Pop and TP! FUCK you Stephen Jackson and Dejounte "TP wouldn't mentor me! :cry" Murray.

And congrats to Becky too!

daslicer
03-29-2023, 12:29 AM
Congrats Pop and TP! FUCK you Stephen Jackson and Dejounte "TP wouldn't mentor me! :cry" Murray.

It's good to see Tony get this shine after he's been trashed the last few years unfairly for the Kawhi saga by clowns like Jax. A lot of people despise him in here but he will always hold a special place in my heart when it comes to spurs fandom. That sweep in '01 by the Lakers was so devastating I felt the Spurs were so far away from being able to compete for a title ever again and that Tim would bolt once his contract was up with the Spurs. When the Spurs drafted Tony and I saw highlights of him I became hooked and sold that he would be one of the key pieces that would help the Spurs contend for another title again. Getting Tony in '01 and Manu in '02 were huge moral boosters for me as fan and gave me a lot of optimism about the future when it came to the Spurs contending for multiple titles.

SPURt
03-29-2023, 12:37 AM
This is gonna be a big time Spurs class, should be fun after the season we’ve all endured lol

bigfan
03-29-2023, 10:16 AM
Yeah this sorta helps the pain of this season to be sure. Congrats to Tony, Becky, Pau and most of all Pop in their selection.

SASdynasty!
03-29-2023, 10:23 AM

Haha who could ever mentor Dejonte?! Only person I can think of that needs to is Chip England

rjv
03-29-2023, 10:28 AM
great day for the Spurs organization. serendipity aside, pop deserved it. as did becky and tony.

heyheymymy
03-29-2023, 11:29 AM
Spurs legacy is legit

Congrats to the legends

libertarian4321
03-30-2023, 02:02 AM
Tim should go up with Pop, Manu should go up with Parker

Tim should go up. Pop should stay home and get drunk. Pop, without Tim, is a well below average NBA coach with a losing record.

There. I said it. Pop is a Pomona- Pitzer level college coach who lucked into one of the best players of all time (w/ Manu and Tony). Without Tim, if the Spurs had ended up with Keith Van Horn, Chauncey Billups, Antonio Danials, or Tony Battie, Pop would have been on the unemployment line early in 1998, at the latest. Today, he would probably be managing the pet food department at the Walmart on Bandera.