View Full Version : Lenard benched for one game

ducks
12-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Lenard benched for one game
Suspension levied for "conduct detrimental to the team" against Hornets
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com

Shooting guard Voshon Lenard won't be playing for the Nuggets tonight and might not be in their long-term plans, either.

The Nuggets suspended Lenard without pay Thursday for tonight's game against the Phoenix Suns because of conduct detrimental to the team. The 11th-year NBA veteran was suspended after refusing to enter the game with 17.1 seconds left in the Nuggets' 102-95 loss to the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets on Wednesday night at the Pepsi Center. Lenard will lose $39,111 for the one-game suspension.

"It's a private team matter," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said. "It's a one- game suspension. After that, it's over and forgotten. We'll put it behind us."

Lenard opened the season as the Nuggets' starter at shooting guard for the first six games, but was demoted after he struggled to hit shots and there were questions about his defense.

Since, he has played sparingly and did not play at all in six games. He is averaging 8.5 points and shooting 28.6 percent from 3-point range in 10 games. During the Hornets' game, Lenard scored five points and played 13 minutes before refusing to return in the final seconds.

Vandeweghe said Lenard has not asked to be traded, but he might deal him for the right price if Lenard continues to play sparingly.

The Miami Heat reportedly have interest in Lenard, who couldn't be reached for comment after the suspension was announced and declined to talk to reporters after Thursday's practice.

"I know it's frustrating, no question," said Vandeweghe, a former NBA player. "Vo and I have talked about it a few times. I've been in that situation. One of the benefits that I have is I've been in every situation, and I know this is one of them that this is frustrating and hard. Vo has been really professional about it. We've talked, and I've talked to his agent.

"Like I've told a lot of players, if they are in a situation they don't like, I'll put them in a situation to help them. I won't hurt the team to do it, but I'll do my best. But it's an internal matter."