PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Miller

DAF86
03-30-2023, 10:46 PM
Weird there isn't a thread about this guy. I would take him after Wembenyama, tbh.

R0ou4rOy8nw

Robz4000
03-30-2023, 10:48 PM
He's got a lot of off-the-court baggage tbh.

DAF86
03-30-2023, 10:54 PM
He's got a lot of off-the-court baggage tbh.

https://sayingimages.com/wp-content/uploads/how-do-i-put-this-gently-don-t-care-meme.jpg

Robz4000
03-30-2023, 10:59 PM
https://sayingimages.com/wp-content/uploads/how-do-i-put-this-gently-don-t-care-meme.jpg

You asked why there wasn't a thread about him, I gave you an answer tbh. Think he goes second in the draft but not to the Spurs.

DAF86
03-30-2023, 11:01 PM
For real now. This guy looks like the player we have been wanting for ever. That superstar potential, do it all, long forward. I know he has some pretty dark shit going on off court, but I trust the Spurs' culture to smooth things off on that regard. If we miss out on the French Unicorn, I don't see anyone else even on the same radar as Miller. Taking the non-shooting PG over the 6'9" silky smooth offensive player would be like taking Westbrook over Durant. Don't be that franchise, Spurs.

DAF86
03-30-2023, 11:05 PM
You asked why there wasn't a thread about him, I gave you an answer tbh. Think he goes second in the draft but not to the Spurs.

The off court stuff should be an ever bigger reason to have a thread about this guy, tbh. Let's argue pros and cons, imho.

Ariel
03-30-2023, 11:06 PM
He's been lumped into the "Draft projects to watch besides Wembanyama & Henderson" thread.
On basketball terms alone, he's 2/3 along with Scoot, depending on who picks. The issues surrounding him will matter to the FO, though.
If we land a top 2/3 pick they'll make their due diligence, and I'd be ok picking whichever of the 2 they like better.
Another option would be trading down, and I'm not opposed to it provided we land a proper alternative plus extra assets (say, Cam Whitmore + extra top 10 lottery pick).
Important times ahead.

John B
03-31-2023, 12:07 AM
Sochan, Vassell, Johnson, Miller, Collins all can shoot, pass and handle the ball. And at 20 yrs old, Miller will have NBA body in no time. I would be disappointed not to get Wemby, but Miller would be a great consolation. People compare him to Paul George, but I see a poor-man KD with his shooting, but without KD’s looong wingspan. He will open the lanes a lot for Keldon/Sochan. But already without a real shotblocker in Collins, Spurs would suffer in interior defense, with Sochan defending the point-of-attack. But they will definitely running and moving the ball.

scott
03-31-2023, 01:12 AM
I think he’s my #2 ahead of Scoot right now.

And I think the off-the-court baggage isn’t as big of an issue as some may think. I posted in other forums an article from the local paper with a very detailed timeline of what happen, and it mostly seems like Miller is far removed from being involved in that situation.

JPB
03-31-2023, 04:35 AM
The off court stuff should be an ever bigger reason to have a thread about this guy, tbh. Let's argue pros and cons, imho.

You mean like it's been done thouroughly in the "Draft projects to watch besides Wembanyama & Henderson" thread the last two months ?

Em-City
03-31-2023, 04:40 AM
Is a Paul pierce comparison valid?

szkorhetz
03-31-2023, 04:44 AM

And I think the off-the-court baggage isn’t as big of an issue as some may think. I posted in other forums an article from the local paper with a very detailed timeline of what happen, and it mostly seems like Miller is far removed from being involved in that situation.
Same. Not even a question.

mo7888
03-31-2023, 05:55 AM
Weird there isn't a thread about this guy. I would take him after Wembenyama, tbh.

R0ou4rOy8nw

I wouldn't...there's no world where I take him over Scoot. I've got him at #3, but tepidly. I'm not sure he's going to be more than a spot up 3 point shooter and while that's valuable, it's not worthy of that high of a pick to me.

Dejounte
03-31-2023, 06:51 AM
Closest comps, IMO: Brandon Ingram, Cameron Johnson, Trey Murphy III, Lauri Markkanen

good to great players who put up big numbers on some nights, but not the type of guys I’d like the Spurs to get in a crucial year where we need to get a franchise cornerstone.

-He’s nowhere near as explosive as Paul George (or peak Paul), Brandon uses his offarm a lot to try to create separation. Not sure he’s going to get away with that in the NBA
-KD comparisons are just ridiculous. Stop.
-Paul Pierce took a lot of shots in the mid range and was much more physical. Brandon likes to shoot from deep, almost as much as Doug McDermott.

AFBlue
03-31-2023, 07:46 AM
He shit the bed in their NCAA Tourney loss. I don't see anything special with him tbh. Spurs need a lead guard (if not Wemby), not another shooter.

mo7888
03-31-2023, 07:49 AM
Closest comps, IMO: Brandon Ingram, Cameron Johnson, Trey Murphy III, Lauri Markkanen

good to great players who put up big numbers on some nights, but not the type of guys I’d like the Spurs to get in a crucial year where we need to get a franchise cornerstone.

-He’s nowhere near as explosive as Paul George (or peak Paul), Brandon uses his offarm a lot to try to create separation. Not sure he’s going to get away with that in the NBA
-Paul Pierce took a lot of shots in the mid range and was much more physical. Brandon likes to shoot from deep, almost as much as Doug McDermott.

To me, Trey Murphy is the closest comp of where Miller is coming out of school.

DAF86
03-31-2023, 10:32 AM
You mean like it's been done thouroughly in the "Draft projects to watch besides Wembanyama & Henderson" thread the last two months ?

No, I mean in an specific thread just for Miller, because he's that good of a project. There's no reason to have a Scooter thread and not a Miller one.

JPB
03-31-2023, 11:28 AM
No, I mean in an specific thread just for Miller, because he's that good of a project. There's no reason to have a Scooter thread and not a Miller one.

Yeah, but it's just that the pros and cons you mentioned have been debated to death in that other thread... And I suppose that given the circumstances nobody wanted to make a thread about a guy who may be involved in the murder of Jamea Jonae Harris, a mother of a 5-year-old boy.

Before potential off court issues surfaced, I had Miller as my #2 and always said (to myself anyway) that I would need and wait for more context and information before making my mind about the guy and if I wanted him in a spur uniform...After reading this:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/brandon-millers-link-to-fatal-shooting-what-we-know-about-alabama-star-freshmans-involvement-in-murder-case/

I have a hard time believing he was just innocently on a crime scene... Really hard to eat his lawyer explainations... Basically, Miles put his gun in Miller's car, but Miller never saw it, never touched it. Then genuinely decided later to join Miles on what would be a future crime seen even before Miles texted him to bring the gun (so that's not why he would have decided to join him.. cough)... Then, that's just accidentally that Miiler's car (whose windshield was impacted by two bullets) was blocking the exit to Harris' car...

I don't want this guy in SA.

baseline bum
03-31-2023, 11:36 AM

Yeah that article made a good case that the Tuscalossa DA was correct in not charging him, so I think the odds are pretty decent he'll go #2 no matter who gets that pick.

baseline bum
03-31-2023, 11:37 AM
To me, Trey Murphy is the closest comp of where Miller is coming out of school.

I read that as Troy Murphy at first and wondered wtf you were smoking.

DrSteffo
03-31-2023, 11:39 AM
He seems to be really stupid. To do the pat down thing after the murder thing...well that´s sooo stupid. And he is not smooth but kind of stiff. Not as stiff as Dick but close.

buttsR4rebounding
03-31-2023, 11:49 AM
The off court stuff should be an ever bigger reason to have a thread about this guy, tbh. Let's argue [B] pros and cons[B], imho.

Hmmm. Is he a professional (basketball player) or is he a convict? That is a good argument. I don't think the most recent info on the shooting makes him look bad. His behavior afterwards maybe does, but 19 year olds that have only heard that they are the next great baller for half their life tend to do stupid things. So I wouldn't judge that behavior in a vacuum. Him shitting the bed in the NCAA tournament is more concerning from a draft POV.

JPB
03-31-2023, 12:05 PM

Yeah that article made a good case that the Tuscalossa DA was correct in not charging him, so I think the odds are pretty decent he'll go #2 no matter who gets that pick.

Not charging him is one thing and I don't know what obscure article are you guys talking about, but if you can read the CBS article and tell me he's just stupid...

That's just a bunch of lies. Miller knew what was going on. You won't make me believe the guy genuinely decided to join Miles juuuuusssttt before Miles texted him to bring the gun and that's not why he was joining him.. Then Miller's car (impacted by bullets) was jjjjjuuuuussssrtttt at the right place to block Harris' car, but that's not why he and another teammate whose car was also blocking Harris were there... Don't get fooled by his agents or lawyer communication. or some local newspaper friely to Alabama University, there might not be enough to convince Miller, but that doesn't mean he's morally innocent.

The guy brought on a crime scene (where he stayed) the gun that killed a young mother. But he's just stupid...

And my apologies to people who said that all along.

Dejounte
03-31-2023, 12:24 PM
You guys are sounding the alarm for Backtobasics to come in here with all this talk about a black man being a convict…

mo7888
03-31-2023, 12:35 PM
I read that as Troy Murphy at first and wondered wtf you were smoking.

:lmao

The Truth #6
03-31-2023, 12:37 PM
It seems like Spurs would avoid him for fear of potential future problems. Especially after Primo. Gun shy, if you will. I say this purely to trigger people, but my uninformed guess is that the FO is more likely to roll the dice on Amen than Miller. Not that either are likely but they are going to have to pick someone in the top 6 or whatever it is and Miller isn’t an archetype they need most.

DrSteffo
03-31-2023, 12:53 PM
If he would be a convict there would be no need for a discussion, right? I doubt any nba team would draft him if he was in jail? So, that's not the issue.

wildbill2u
03-31-2023, 01:26 PM
We aren't mind readers--and neither was the DA who declined to prosecute--so we really don't have enough information to decide he is a natural born bad guy. Spurs have a long history of trying to be so sqeaky clean that they aren't a good home for players who are likely to cross their line into a non-Spurlike character. We won't know about their judgment on his character until the either draft him or give him a pass. Whoever they draft they will tout as the best player available to them at that spot.

wildbill2u
03-31-2023, 02:40 PM
Here are a couple of recent analyses of Miller by draft gurus. Don't tell us much beyond what we think we know already. Primarily a good shooter who will go in top 3.

Brandon Miller - NBADraft.net (https://www.nbadraft.net/players/brandon-miller/#0) NBA Draft Report: Brandon Miller Of Alabama - RealGM Articles (https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/270874/NBA-Draft-Report-Brandon-Miller-Of-Alabama)

spurraider21
03-31-2023, 02:41 PM
if we're just talking on the court, ive thought he separated himself as the #3 in the draft. horrible tournament notwithstanding

BacktoBasics
03-31-2023, 02:55 PM
You guys are sounding the alarm for Backtobasics to come in here with all this talk about a black man being a convict…

When the building blocks of this forum reside in racism it’s to be expected.

BackHome
03-31-2023, 05:28 PM

:rollin

exstatic
03-31-2023, 08:02 PM
He shit the bed in their NCAA Tourney loss. I don't see anything special with him tbh. Spurs need a lead guard (if not Wemby), not another shooter.

Scoot shit the bed hard several times before shutting down. Do we downrate him, too?

AFBlue
03-31-2023, 08:22 PM
Scoot shit the bed hard several times before shutting down. Do we downrate him, too?

Sure. I'm not some Scoot apologist. At least he plays a position that fills a clear need for this team though.

BackHome
03-31-2023, 08:54 PM
To be a playoff caliber team every position other then SG and PF are a definite need.

Uriel
04-02-2023, 10:37 AM
Where would Brandon Miller go if he were in last year’s draft? Ahead of Jabari Smith? Chet Holmgren? Paolo Banchero?

TD 21
04-02-2023, 03:52 PM

Throwback comp: Granger. Agree that the George comp doesn't fly because he lacks his athleticism/explosiveness.

Different position obviously, but he also reminds me somewhat of Smith Jr. in that he has the shooter rep, but is a poor 2-point shooter because of that as well as strength and a tight handle (of course, can and more than likely will improve the latter).

I see a secondary creator/off ball scorer more than a centerpiece, but virtually every big wing/combo forward with guard like skills is fetishized now.

wildbill2u
04-02-2023, 04:46 PM
I got a chance to review the entire game where his team was eliminated from the NCAA tournament. I watched him mostly on every play and came to this observation. For a star player, He spent a lot of time in the first half on the bench. During most of the game he was stationed outside the 3 pt line and didn't have a lot of strong influence on the game out there. Meanwhile, his guards were passionately taking it to San Diego State while he wasn't hustling near as much. They didn't always score, but they were damn sure trying hard. I'd like a super-star to take over the game when his team needs him. He didn't pass that test IMO. One thing you have to say for KJ, the guy he might replace, he is willing to work hard and give up his body.

He may well be the best available at 2 or 3, and I will hope the decision of the FO ( if that is the choice) is that he is the best available. But he may not be that great overall upgrade we are looking for.

exstatic
04-03-2023, 06:21 AM
I got a chance to review the entire game where his team was eliminated from the NCAA tournament. I watched him mostly on every play and came to this observation. For a star player, He spent a lot of time in the first half on the bench. During most of the game he was stationed outside the 3 pt line and didn't have a lot of strong influence on the game out there. Meanwhile, his guards were passionately taking it to San Diego State while he wasn't hustling near as much. They didn't always score, but they were damn sure trying hard. I'd like a super-star to take over the game when his team needs him. He didn't pass that test IMO. One thing you have to say for KJ, the guy he might replace, he is willing to work hard and give up his body.

He may well be the best available at 2 or 3, and I will hope the decision of the FO ( if that is the choice) is that he is the best available. But he may not be that great overall upgrade we are looking for.

Supposedly playing through injury in the tournament…

cjw
04-03-2023, 09:17 AM
If the Spurs are picking two, I’d put the chance at them trading back a few spots higher than drafting this guy. Insane both the NBA and NFL drafts have guys in their top ten that are involved in or adjacent to deaths of people.

If you’re a potential lottery pick, you don’t lend someone your gun - not even a teammate. It shows terrible judgment, and I wouldn’t want anything to do with him. There are other talented players where Spurs are likely drafting.

exstatic
04-03-2023, 09:25 AM

Also, the team that eliminated UA is playing for the national championship after beating every team by at least double digits and several in 20+ blowouts. UA didn't lose to Peoria St.

K...
04-03-2023, 10:53 AM
If the Spurs are picking two, I’d put the chance at them trading back a few spots higher than drafting this guy. Insane both the NBA and NFL drafts have guys in their top ten that are involved in or adjacent to deaths of people.

If you’re a potential lottery pick, you don’t lend someone your gun - not even a teammate. It shows terrible judgment, and I wouldn’t want anything to do with him. There are other talented players where Spurs are likely drafting.

Ignoring the gun stuff, do you feel miller is worth the Second pick?

The gun stuff was misreported,.the facts are that miller was a designated driver, and the shooting was two dumb ass drunk males shooting from their cars and hitting the female occupant of the opposing car. So rather than being a targeted killing its basically being adjacent dumb ass drunk machismo stuff. The shooting will absolutely not stop him from being drafted.

People also mention him being flippant in subsequent games making classless comments. Not a big deal either for a teenager to be stupid. If you draft him you know his hood buddies are in jail.

So yeah, if you dont want Miller at 2, fine but as of now hes a top 3 lock.

It is way way easier to play the moral cards when your picking in the late teens and not getting the best one and drones. Its very likely that should the spurs get a top 4 pick they'll pick very conventionally. The difference in intelligence between the mock drafts and teams are pretty even at the top of the draft.

K...
04-03-2023, 10:58 AM
To be specific the spurs should get private interviews and workouts . They can get measurements id imagine if the agent doesn't throw a fuss.

I dont see the top 5 getting a major reshuffle.

This is all the intelligence the spurs will get that you and the mock drafts wont.

exstatic
04-03-2023, 11:01 AM
Ignoring the gun stuff, do you feel miller is worth the Second pick?

The gun stuff was misreported,.the facts are that miller was a designated driver, and the shooting was two dumb ass drunk males shooting from their cars and hitting the female occupant of the opposing car. So rather than being a targeted killing its basically being adjacent dumb ass drunk machismo stuff. The shooting will absolutely not stop him from being drafted.

People also mention him being flippant in subsequent games making classless comments. Not a big deal either for a teenager to be stupid. If you draft him you know his hood buddies are in jail. I dont work for the spurs but other than drafting Scoot or Amen/Ausar...

So yeah, if you dont want Miller at 2, fine but as of now hes a top 3 lock.

It is way way easier to play the moral cards when your picking in the late teens and not getting the best one and drones. Its very likely that should the spurs get a top 4 pick they'll pick very conventionally. The difference in intelligence between the mock drafts and teams are pretty even at the top of the draft.

The Spurs already flushed one lottery pick (and millions of dollars in lawsuits) from UA down the toilet. Doubt they're interested in doing that again. It's really easy for you to be flippant from the cheap seats, with no real stake in the draft. It's also not about "morality". The NBA is a business, and busted draft picks are money down the drain, the higher the pick, the more of a financial hit. You pick players who you think will fit and develop.

K...
04-03-2023, 11:15 AM
The Spurs already flushed one lottery pick (and millions of dollars in lawsuits) from UA down the toilet. Doubt they're interested in doing that again. It's really easy for you to be flippant from the cheap seats, with no real stake in the draft. It's also not about "morality". The NBA is a business, and busted draft picks are money down the drain, the higher the pick, the more of a financial hit. You pick players who you think will fit and develop.

Picking the wrong player is also cause for a bust.. and busting at 2 is very costly. A lot of people aren't in the right mindset. You weigh miller as a player minus maturity. You don't throw him off the board.

Furthermore unlike primo, theres no question what miller did, so you can address it like any other player deficit.

Criticize miller the person is fine, but the draft isnt a popularity contest. The spurs will pick BPA based on basketball.
Once we know where the spurs pick we know if this even matters.

exstatic
04-03-2023, 11:27 AM
Picking the wrong player is also cause for a bust.. and busting at 2 is very costly. A lot of people aren't in the right mindset. You weigh miller as a player minus maturity. You don't throw him off the board.

Furthermore unlike primo, theres no question what miller did, so you can address it like any other player deficit.

Criticize miller the person is fine, but the draft isnt a popularity contest. The spurs will pick BPA based on basketball.
Once we know where the spurs pick we know if this even matters.

If he's not on your board, you don't pass, you trade back for extra assets. It's not binary: pick|pass. Passing would be a gift to the teams behind you that might want him, and it's a business, not a gift exchange.

BTW, the bolded part isn't true at all. Spurs picked Sammich, and passed on the highly rated, pre-draft lottery slotted coke head Nassir Little.

The Truth #6
04-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Shifting topic slightly, I’m curious how people would compare Miller to Tyler Hendricks. Tyler seems to project as a big but has solid defense on the perimeter and solid outside shooting from my limited understanding of his game. I’ve seen him as high as 4 on some draft boards. It seems like less star potential but maybe Miller’s ceiling is overstated.

Just spitballing…

exstatic
04-03-2023, 12:09 PM
Shifting topic slightly, I’m curious how people would compare Miller to Tyler Hendricks. Tyler seems to project as a big but has solid defense on the perimeter and solid outside shooting from my limited understanding of his game. I’ve seen him as high as 4 on some draft boards. It seems like less star potential but maybe Miller’s ceiling is overstated.

Just spitballing…

I think Miller has a higher range of outcomes, from star to bust. Hendricks seemed pretty consistent all year. He's kind of an odd mixture, though. He blocks shots, so you think maybe he's a PF, but his rebounding is subpar. A shot blocking, 3 point shooting SF?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-03-2023, 01:11 PM
I think Miller has a higher range of outcomes, from star to bust. Hendricks seemed pretty consistent all year. He's kind of an odd mixture, though. He blocks shots, so you think maybe he's a PF, but his rebounding is subpar. A shot blocking, 3 point shooting SF?

His disappearance in the tourney loss is concerning, but I agree that his potential for greatness (or as a bust) seems high.

The Truth #6
04-03-2023, 01:12 PM

Those are good points. His position in the NBA is uncertain. He can likely defend the 3 and at least shoot from outside on spot ups, so he can stay on the floor, but his on the ball creation would have to improve, arguably, to be a high pick. Or at least in a typical draft. This year, in the lottery, it feels like trying to avoid busts after Wemby. Anyway, just speculating…

duncan2150
04-03-2023, 02:40 PM

Just spitballing…

I start to be high on Hendricks, could be a really valuable nba guy. Imo he's like the perfect tweener, something between Clifford Robinson and Jaren Jackson Jr( for the blocks). I see him as a stretch four, defensive minded player.

If we draft at 7 i like him and Jarace.

wildbill2u
04-03-2023, 03:13 PM
After you get past the Wemby unicorn, I'm beginning to wonder if this draft class has ANY real locks as potential All Star player.

exstatic
04-03-2023, 03:16 PM
After you get past the Wemby unicorn, I'm beginning to wonder if this draft class has ANY real locks as potential All Star player.

Zero, but a couple of possibles.

JuneJive
04-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Wouldn't the Primo situation make the Spurs a bit wary about taking Miller?

John B
04-03-2023, 04:26 PM

Jokic was drafted 41st, Jimmy Butler 30th after Corey Joseph, Van Fleet was undrafted. Does anybody really know? I mean you do your diligence and pray your player has the work ethic to max his potential.

The Truth #6
04-03-2023, 04:41 PM
I start to be high on Hendricks, could be a really valuable nba guy. Imo he's like the perfect tweener, something between Clifford Robinson and Jaren Jackson Jr( for the blocks). I see him as a stretch four, defensive minded player.

If we draft at 7 i like him and Jarace.

Those are good comps, or at least aspirations. It’s funny, Hendricks gets knocked for playing at UCF (under former Spur Johnny Dawkins, no less) but it’s way better competition than OTE (cue Mr. Body nodding his head).

It helps me to compare these players against each other. And quite literally, I think TH played against Jarace this year, so that might be a good game to check out…

exstatic
04-03-2023, 05:05 PM
Those are good comps, or at least aspirations. It’s funny, Hendricks gets knocked for playing at UCF (under former Spur Johnny Dawkins, no less) but it’s way better competition than OTE (cue Mr. Body nodding his head).

It helps me to compare these players against each other. And quite literally, I think TH played against Jarace this year, so that might be a good game to check out…

8. Taylor Hendricks
9. Jarace Walker

6’9 Hendricks and 6’8 Walker are a couple of small NCAA bigs that will be likely converted to big NBA Wings. Based on the statsheet, Jarace is the slightly more productive of the two:

Walker has a bit more productivity across the board, although Hendricks has a slightly lower turnover rate and better shooting signal. Walker is making 42% from 3P but that’s a tiny 22/52 sample and based on his 3PA rate and FT% it is not to be trusted. Hendricks is making 38.5% on a decent 3PA rate with a solid FT% to back it up, and is the better bet to be a good NBA shooter.

On paper Walker has some promising defensive indicators, as his rebound, assist, steal, and block rates for a top 10 defense and the #1 kenpom team in the country to go with a strong frame and great dimensions at 6’8 with 7’2 wingspan. But he does not move well laterally, and is prone to jumping at everything defensively. He has made a positive impact on Houston’s offense, but the defense has been better with him on the bench. He does have good instincts at jumping the passing lanes for steals, and is far from hopeless on D, but there should be some concerns about his ability to defend the perimeter in the NBA.

Conversely, Hendricks moves well on defense, and in tandem with his shooting signal, 6’9 height, and positive assist:TOV ratio, he is a solid bet to seamlessly fit into NBA lineups as a big wing. He also blocks enough shots to possibly work as a small big, but his rebound rate is a bit underwhelming to project him as a full time center.

These two even matched up head to head a couple of times, and Hendricks was able to blow by Walker for a dunk whereas Hendricks stayed in front and forced Walker into tough floaters. Walker did draw a foul on both occasions, but they were borderline calls and he wasn’t close to getting a step on Hendricks either time.

The downside of Hendricks is that he not does have any major strengths. He seems like he can be a capable NBA player on both ends, but there is no clear calling card to greatness. Realistically you are hoping for something like Jerami Grant when you take him. He likely will not be an all-star, but he is the type of player that every team will find to be useful.

Walker’s NCAA numbers are a near doppelgänger for Bobby Portis. He also projects as a solid role player type, and even if he is slightly better in NCAA the mobility concerns are enough to put him right below Hendricks for now.

exstatic
04-03-2023, 05:14 PM
Jokic was drafted 41st, Jimmy Butler 30th after Corey Joseph, Van Fleet was undrafted. Does anybody really know? I mean you do your diligence and pray your player has the work ethic to max his potential.

Those are extreme cases like Manu and Tony. Better examples are Giannis and Nephew drafted in the mid teens, or Steph at 7.

John B
04-03-2023, 05:32 PM
Those are extreme cases like Manu and Tony. Better examples are Giannis and Nephew drafted in the mid teens, or Steph at 7.

Precisely, there have been great players not drafted #1 overall. I would be ecstatic to draft Wemby, but there’s a good chance another player or two would be an NBA Star in that batch, and the Spurs are drafting high.

BackHome
04-03-2023, 06:36 PM

I think Covid lock downs really hurt the development of a lot of young prospects

exstatic
04-03-2023, 07:09 PM
Precisely, there have been great players not drafted #1 overall. I would be ecstatic to draft Wemby, but there’s a good chance another player or two would be an NBA Star in that batch, and the Spurs are drafting high.
Those players were scattered over two decades, or 1200 draft picks. The odds of finding me one in any single draft are minuscule.

Mr. Body
04-03-2023, 08:02 PM

Which draft classes have ever had 'real locks' for the All Star game? Very few.

Mr. Body
04-03-2023, 08:09 PM

It's a bit weird, because UCF is in the same conference as Houston and Jarace Walker doesn't get slack for playing on that team. (Apparently both are joining the Big-12, showing what a shitshow this whole conference thing is anymore.) I actually had to look up to make sure that UCF and Houston actually were in the same conf.

I know it's been posted before, but here's comparison btw. Walker and Hendricks by way of Tankathon.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=taylor-hendricks--jarace-walker

I have no reason to think so, but feel like Walker may always be a better defender, but Hendricks isn't bad, and that Hendricks is already the better scorer and will continue that way.

Tankathon classifies Brandon Miller as a SF, no idea why. They seem pretty similar. He actually gets more rebounds per 36 than the other two.

exstatic
04-03-2023, 08:09 PM
Which draft classes have ever had 'real locks' for the All Star game? Very few.

Nothing recent. Have to go back to maybe 2003, LeBron, Melo, Wade.

MannyIsGod
04-03-2023, 09:21 PM
I watched a lot of SEC basketball this year and I wouldn't take him #2. When he's on he's good, but he's a streaky shooter and I think he's going to get locked down quite a bit at the NBA level.

MannyIsGod
04-03-2023, 09:22 PM
Nothing recent. Have to go back to maybe 2003, LeBron, Melo, Wade.

Melo and Wade weren't considered locks although you can argue that Melo should have been. But they both had players drafted ahead of them (not named Lebron).

exstatic
04-03-2023, 09:52 PM
Melo and Wade weren't considered locks although you can argue that Melo should have been. But they both had players drafted ahead of them (not named Lebron).

So did Jordan. Not a disqualifier. Melo was the ncaa tourney MVP, and averaged 22 points in a level of bball with scores regularly in the 60s.

BackHome
04-03-2023, 11:48 PM

Yeah, you bring up good points it is like some players have greats stats but when you look at there stats when they play a good team your like OUCH not so good.

BackHome
04-04-2023, 12:09 AM
It's a bit weird, because UCF is in the same conference as Houston and Jarace Walker doesn't get slack for playing on that team. (Apparently both are joining the Big-12, showing what a shitshow this whole conference thing is anymore.) I actually had to look up to make sure that UCF and Houston actually were in the same conf.

I know it's been posted before, but here's comparison btw. Walker and Hendricks by way of Tankathon.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=taylor-hendricks--jarace-walker

I have no reason to think so, but feel like Walker may always be a better defender, but Hendricks isn't bad, and that Hendricks is already the better scorer and will continue that way.

Tankathon classifies Brandon Miller as a SF, no idea why. They seem pretty similar. He actually gets more rebounds per 36 than the other two.

All good point in you know if we didn't all ready have Sochan I would want Walker as I think they kind of overlap - Walker to me is a tweener C/PF - he has great foot work and is a really good passer for a big and you have to understand Houston was on a stacked team they had clear role for him to play. He is moving up on boards because of his character and work ethic and the potential people see in his practice kinda like Sharpe but take out the character..lol..j/k

To me Hendricks is a lot like Miller - Tweener PF/SF, but one reason I like Miller is he is one of the better rebounders and his shot is butter. But, Hendricks is climbing a lot of mocks based on his performance and potential. His rebounds is not as good as Miller but just slightly better then Walker. I think I can see him playing with Sochan more then I can see Walker playing with Sochan together but if anyone see that different I would like to hear your view. One thing I agree is that Hendricks has more wiggle in his defense I think he can hang on the perimeter and on another note in High School he was shooting the 3 ball 33% so was able to raise to almost 40% on 4.5 attempts not to bad.

BackHome
04-04-2023, 12:32 AM
All good point in you know if we didn't all ready have Sochan I would want Walker as I think they kind of overlap - Walker to me is a tweener C/PF - he has great foot work and is a really good passer for a big and you have to understand Houston was on a stacked team they had clear role for him to play. He is moving up on boards because of his character and work ethic and the potential people see in his practice kinda like Sharpe but take out the character..lol..j/k

To me Hendricks is a lot like Miller - Tweener PF/SF, but one reason I like Miller is he is one of the better rebounders and his shot is butter. But, Hendricks is climbing a lot of mocks based on his performance and potential. His rebounds is not as good as Miller but just slightly better then Walker. I think I can see him playing with Sochan more then I can see Walker playing with Sochan together but if anyone see that different I would like to hear your view. One thing I agree is that Hendricks has more wiggle in his defense I think he can hang on the perimeter and on another note in High School he was shooting the 3 ball 33% so was able to raise to almost 40% on 4.5 attempts not to bad.

Why does every mock has us taking Amen Thompson...smh

The Truth #6
04-04-2023, 06:42 AM
Yeah, maybe Hendricks is more like a budget Miller? Good shooting form. Good defense.

Dejounte
04-04-2023, 06:46 AM
IMO, Hendricks is nowhere near as fluid. He looks more like Patrick Williams. Mechanical to a fault. But, I’ll try to watch more to see if my opinion changes.

Ariel
04-04-2023, 10:22 AM
IMO, Hendricks is nowhere near as fluid. He looks more like Patrick Williams. Mechanical to a fault. But, I’ll try to watch more to see if my opinion changes.
I've been looking at clips of him lately because I didn't get to see actual UCF games and I agree, particularly his ball handling is very raw, he doesn't seem to have very high potential as a as a creator for himself or others, even though his passing and IQ seem good. But his defense is off the charts, his physical profile is great in terms of length and athleticism, he's super young, and he can shoot the 3. That alone makes him a very safe prospect in terms of having a role in the NBA. If his work ethic and personality check out, he could be a very interesting prospect. I wouldn't be upset if we trade down and he's one of picks, or even if we end up at 7 and take him there (provided Cam Whitmore is gone).

spurraider21
04-04-2023, 10:42 AM
we were never able to will the "brad miller to spurs" rumors into existence. this is the next best thing

plus its hard not to get behind "lets go brandon" as a spur :lol

MannyIsGod
04-04-2023, 06:26 PM
So did Jordan. Not a disqualifier. Melo was the ncaa tourney MVP, and averaged 22 points in a level of bball with scores regularly in the 60s.

I mean Jordan obviously wasn't considered a lock either. Somenoe ending up as a hall of famer, or the best ever, doesn't mean they were considered locks.

John B
04-04-2023, 06:39 PM
I mean Jordan obviously wasn't considered a lock either. Somenoe ending up as a hall of famer, or the best ever, doesn't mean they were considered locks.

Unless it’s a Shaquel O’Neal, a David Robinson, Patrick Ewing. Even a LeBron james was a straight out from high school who could’ve busted. Zion can’t even get healthy enough. Nobody knows.

MannyIsGod
04-04-2023, 06:49 PM
Unless it’s a Shaquel O’Neal, a David Robinson, Patrick Ewing. Even a LeBron james was a straight out from high school who could’ve busted. Zion can’t even get healthy enough. Nobody knows.

I would say Zion was considered a lock. Locks are almost always unanimous #1s. Doesn't mean being considered a lock ensures you are one. It's just pretty tough to argue players that had multiple selections in front of them were considered sure things.

The Truth #6
04-04-2023, 06:58 PM

Fair. He plays more like a role player from my limited viewing whereas Jarace seems more comfortable with the ball in his hand, which is more of what we need.

exstatic
04-04-2023, 07:17 PM
I would say Zion was considered a lock. Locks are almost always unanimous #1s. Doesn't mean being considered a lock ensures you are one. It's just pretty tough to argue players that had multiple selections in front of them were considered sure things.

In the 80s and half of the 90s, there were 3-5 All Stars in every draft. It was a different time, with more complete players entering the league, so, yes, you could be a lock at 3 or 4.