PDA

View Full Version : Sten: "I expect Pop to be back on the Spurs' bench next season . . .

TD 21
04-03-2023, 03:23 PM
and believe even more strongly that he won't make any firm decisions about his future until after the draft lottery in mid-May."

An NBA weekend that will resonate for years - Marc Stein (substack.com) (https://marcstein.substack.com/p/an-nba-weekend-that-will-resonate?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=392205&post_id=112299565&isFreemail=false&utm_medium=email)

Obviously meant Stein.

jeebus
04-03-2023, 03:58 PM
Wemby=Poop back

No Wemby=Poop retires

Mr. Body
04-03-2023, 05:16 PM
I don't think Stein has a hold on the NBA at all.

I don't think whether Pop stays has anything to do with Wembanyama whatsoever.

I do think Pop is coming back next year.

Dex
04-03-2023, 05:33 PM
I don't think Stein has a hold on the NBA at all.

I don't think whether Pop stays has anything to do with Wembanyama whatsoever.

I do think Pop is coming back next year.

Agreed. I think Pop is already committed to the young guys currently on the team.

That said...landing a top 3 pick certainly doesn't hurt the chances.

Uriel
04-03-2023, 05:59 PM
Pop coming back became a lot more likely after his successor in the wings took a job in Atlanta instead.

MultiTroll
04-03-2023, 06:24 PM
and believe even more strongly that he won't make any firm decisions about his future until after the draft lottery in mid-May."

An NBA weekend that will resonate for years - Marc Stein (substack.com) (https://marcstein.substack.com/p/an-nba-weekend-that-will-resonate?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=392205&post_id=112299565&isFreemail=false&utm_medium=email).
Wow Stein.
https://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/system/images/photo_albums/zoolander-moments/large/20.png?1384968217
That is soo deep.

MultiTroll
04-03-2023, 06:42 PM
1,000 bucks he's coming back.

The Truth #6
04-03-2023, 07:53 PM
It could be Wemby means retirement so that a new coach comes in and starts from ground zero with great building blocks. A poor draft could mean Pop is more likely to return to further help this transition. But…it’s really hard to say other than why retire when the Holts are paying for the wine every night?

illusioNtEk
04-04-2023, 01:14 AM
Money talks, Pop deserves it

daslicer
04-04-2023, 08:17 AM
It could be Wemby means retirement so that a new coach comes in and starts from ground zero with great building blocks. A poor draft could mean Pop is more likely to return to further help this transition. But…it’s really hard to say other than why retire when the Holts are paying for the wine every night?

Pop wants to coach forever. I don't believe it's about leaving the next coach in a good position to succeed. If the Spurs get a top talent like Wemby he will want to stay and if they don't, he will stay because he has nothing else going for himself outside of basketball.

The Truth #6
04-04-2023, 09:12 AM
Pop wants to coach forever. I don't believe it's about leaving the next coach in a good position to succeed. If the Spurs get a top talent like Wemby he will want to stay and if they don't, he will stay because he has nothing else going for himself outside of basketball.

I agree that he has no real reason to retire as far as I can tell. But, I do remember some interview or some article suggesting that he wanted to leave the team in some sort of better situation for the next coach, so, if that is true, it suggests a different mindset and motivation. But we’re all just speculating I would say.

slick'81
04-04-2023, 10:15 AM
Ime Udoka ftw!!

Mugen
04-04-2023, 11:58 AM
https://media.tenor.com/JOgZv_l_UVkAAAAC/not-like-this-stare.gif

The Truth #6
04-04-2023, 01:52 PM
I feel like Udoka would have to be brought in first as an assistant under Pop to first rehabilitate his image, you know, community service photo ops with the third string Coyote, and then after that season hand over the reigns. But.. after the Primo debacle, I wonder if they’re a little resistant to more potential workplace, como se dice, shenanigans.

scott
04-04-2023, 02:31 PM
I feel like Udoka would have to be brought in first as an assistant under Pop to first rehabilitate his image, you know, community service photo ops with the third string Coyote, and then after that season hand over the reigns. But.. after the Primo debacle, I wonder if they’re a little resistant to more potential workplace, como se dice, shenanigans.

He has to spend time with front office staff made completely of other executive's wives so that he can prove he can resist the temptation of fucking them.

rjv
04-04-2023, 05:03 PM
He has to spend time with front office staff made completely of other executive's wives so that he can prove he can resist the temptation of fucking them.

maybe the spurs can bring tony parker back to mentor ime.

Barfunk
04-04-2023, 06:03 PM
If we can't get Becky or one of the big 3 such as Ginobili to replace him, then I'd like Pop to stay for as long as he'd reasonably like. If you simply look to the results generated by players like Murray, DeRozan, and Aldridge after they left the Spurs, you'll see that Pop at minimum wasn't really a hinderance (Aldridge is retired now obviously). He might've held back some players, stats-wise, but those guys aren't exactly doing all that great in the wins department on their respective new teams, and they are or were paired with stars to boot. I've said this and that about Pop, both jokingly and seriously, but he's probably still the best coach for this team at the moment, in my opinion.

Barfunk
04-04-2023, 06:06 PM
Ime Udoka ftw!!

Or Ime wouldn't be a bad choice either for coach. I'd rather have Becky or someone like Ginobili, but yeah, Ime I think would also be a great fit when a replacement for Pop is eventually needed.

heyheymymy
04-04-2023, 08:08 PM
Pop is a living legend and love to see him on the sidelines. Good coach and still got it imo

The man ages like a fine wine mentally and I'm still happy with his leadership and how the team looks under his management style and approaches

offset formation
04-04-2023, 08:13 PM

Shenanigans...

https://youtu.be/JNPW2wZ4D2s

spurs1990
04-04-2023, 08:36 PM
He’s never leaving if he comes back. He’s going full Paterno full bear Bryant with the gig

heyheymymy
04-04-2023, 09:00 PM
Shit how old was hubie? And he called games forever even after that

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-05-2023, 03:01 PM
Pop's got about 13 million reasons to coach next season.

scott
05-29-2023, 04:15 PM
So… I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that Pop’s contract expired at the end of the season so right now we technically do not have a head coach.

Does his job as President of Basketball Operations operate on a separate contract with a different timeline, or is Pop technically not a member of the Spurs organization right now?

I assume there isn’t more chatter about this because either 1) it is incorrect or 2) it is assumed that if Pop is not retiring then hamming out a contract isn’t something anyone is worried about.

Would think we would want Pop as an official member of the franchise if he is headed out to France and doing basketball business (in theory) on behalf of the team?

If Pop is truly a free agent, also surprised someone like the Bucks or Suns aren’t offering him a bag even if that’s a huge long shot.

Spurs fever
05-29-2023, 04:54 PM
Bring Bud back.

Spurs Homer
05-29-2023, 04:58 PM
Bring Bud back.

do not want

he a loser!

JPB
05-29-2023, 06:21 PM
do not want

he a loser!

Losers don't win ships.

HemisfairArena
05-29-2023, 11:31 PM
Popovich doesnt have the roster he had when he landed Duncan,,,,hes in a rebuild and his coaching style has run its course. He needs to retire and give the reins to someone who can grow with Wemby if the Spurs hope to keep him beyond 4 years,,,

Ice009
05-29-2023, 11:35 PM
Popovich doesnt have the roster he had when he landed Duncan,,,,hes in a rebuild and his coaching style has run its course. He needs to retire and give the reins to someone who can grow with Wemby if the Spurs hope to keep him beyond 4 years,,,

It sounds like Wembanyama wants to play for Pop, though, so do you want to go against what your number 1 pick wants?

Das Texan
05-29-2023, 11:44 PM
So… I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that Pop’s contract expired at the end of the season so right now we technically do not have a head coach.

Does his job as President of Basketball Operations operate on a separate contract with a different timeline, or is Pop technically not a member of the Spurs organization right now?

I assume there isn’t more chatter about this because either 1) it is incorrect or 2) it is assumed that if Pop is not retiring then hamming out a contract isn’t something anyone is worried about.

Would think we would want Pop as an official member of the franchise if he is headed out to France and doing basketball business (in theory) on behalf of the team?

If Pop is truly a free agent, also surprised someone like the Bucks or Suns aren’t offering him a bag even if that’s a huge long shot.

Also would give him more freedom with a certain French youngster if there were any restrictions on visiting him (not that I'm aware of there are)...

lefty20
05-30-2023, 12:34 AM

It is definitely expired.

Teams know better than to try and poach Pop away from the Spurs. It'd be like propositioning someone who is happily married. Pointless at best, stupidly embarrassing at worst.

iirc, no team tried calling Timmy the last time he hit FA as well.

MultiTroll
05-30-2023, 01:27 AM
iirc, no team tried calling Timmy the last time he hit FA as well.
Other then the time Tim almost joined the Orlando Magic, how close did Tim ever come to running out an existing contract?

When Tim Duncan almost changed NBA history by leaving for the Magic - CBSSports.com (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/when-tim-duncan-almost-changed-nba-history-by-leaving-for-the-magic/)

"I came close to leaving," said Duncan.
How close?
"Real close."

playblair
05-31-2023, 01:23 AM

RC_Drunkford
05-31-2023, 06:27 AM
I would love to have Steve Kerr take over, but who the fuck is Ahn Fire with his sources? :lol

CGD
05-31-2023, 06:42 AM
^ Probably just a dumb AI generated article.

In all seriousness I’d like Kenny Atkinson here if he’s an option.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-31-2023, 11:34 AM
I would love to have Steve Kerr take over, but who the fuck is Ahn Fire with his sources? :lol

In some ways it would make sense for Kerr if the Warriors are headed south and the Spurs are moving into contention.