PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Blazers - Apr. 6, 2023

timvp
04-07-2023, 05:12 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-blazers-grades-80/

The hell, man.

John B
04-07-2023, 07:56 AM
The young players were auditioning for their next NBA contracts, so we can’t really blame them. It’s their money and family’s. So it’s understandable specially being rooted by a home crowd.

I think Tre deserves better than A-. He has a double-double in points and assist (another guy getting an extension). But again Tre has shown he belongs, his burst of speed, finishing under the rim reminiscence of TP when he finish a lot in the paint. His ball handling has improved so much, you know the ball is safe in his hands. He will fight for that starting pg job.

Champagnie again impress. His shots seem automatic as soon as they left his hands. McBuckets who?

Collins likewise. I just like this kids motor and swagger, that we’ve been missing from our bigs. If only he’s a bit taller or longer to protect the rim better, he’d be perfect.

wildbill2u
04-07-2023, 08:32 AM
Every time I discount KBD and figure him as a easily replaceable part he has a nice game like this one. Can he find more consistency or was this game a fluke against lesser competition?

Mr. Body
04-07-2023, 08:41 AM
Spurs were always likely to win this one, I'm just surprised it was as hard as it was. Keldon Johnson should be dominant in games like these and he's not.

I'm going to take it as given that Mamu and JC are on the squad next year.

Mamukelashvili needs to develop ways to score. Champagnie gets beat off the dribble a bit too much. Would love to see work there for both.

MultiTroll
04-07-2023, 09:27 AM
The young players were auditioning for their next NBA contracts, so we can’t really blame them.
Do you think there are GMs around going "hey we were on the fence about Diop and Trey Jones, but after that late comeback against totally tanking Portland we've reassessed"?

OTOH seeing the contracts Pops Pets Paddy, Bryn Bryn etc got maybe it is a good idea to ball out for the costly win. :downspin::lol

Nothing wrong with showing your skills in the 1st 3 quarters.
I'm talking about the last 5 minutes of the game after Portland went up 119-110.

John B
04-07-2023, 09:35 AM
Spurs were always likely to win this one, I'm just surprised it was as hard as it was. Keldon Johnson should be dominant in games like these and he's not.

I'm going to take it as given that Mamu and JC are on the squad next year.

Mamukelashvili needs to develop ways to score. Champagnie gets beat off the dribble a bit too much. Would love to see work there for both.

For sure Mamu was a gift from Bud, while Coach Brown might still have ears at Sixers to nab both Bassey and JC.

John B
04-07-2023, 09:44 AM
Do you think there are GMs around going "hey we were on the fence about Diop and Trey Jones, but after that late comeback against totally tanking Portland we've reassessed"?

OTOH seeing the contracts Pops Pets Paddy, Bryn Bryn etc got maybe it is a good idea to ball out for the costly win. :downspin::lol

Nothing wrong with showing your skills in the 1st 3 quarters.
I'm talking about the last 5 minutes of the game after Portland went up 119-110.

Every game counts when you’re trying to get your next job. They can’t control what GM thinks, but they will put everything out there to get noticed. We’re talking about livelihood here. You think those guys care if they’re getting Wemby or not? They’re thinking where they’re playing next season and they better show them what they can. Last night was a great opportunity to showcase, and that’s what they did. Funny I know Pop sees the same way for these players, giving them fair chances.

The Truth #6
04-07-2023, 10:15 AM
Pop definitely took his foot off the tank last night, to some degree at least. I would’ve been surprised to see an egregious tank job; they’re trying to put on a show for Austin. I’m guessing that’s why Tre and Keldon hadn’t been playing as much leading up to this game.

MultiTroll
04-07-2023, 10:29 AM
You think those guys care if they’re getting Wemby or not?
I certainly hope Pop does.
He owes his entire career success to a tank for Duncan.

I'm 98% good with this years 3rd place thus best possible 14% chance for Wemby.

Should the final 2% have been pursued last night, especially after a 119 - 110 lead with 4 minutes to go? Of course for any with a Team First attitude. It didn't, oh well.
On to Wemby and perhaps another 15 year run of winning.

rjv
04-07-2023, 11:09 AM
portland is in full tank mode at the moment-trying to move up as much as they can. this has been their game plan for the past several years.

Mr. Body
04-07-2023, 11:15 AM
portland is in full tank mode at the moment-trying to move up as much as they can. this has been their game plan for the past several years.

It's going to be amazing when they pick Amen or Ausar Thompson.

exstatic
04-07-2023, 11:29 AM

They can’t move up. It’s impossible with this few games left. They are trying to cement their pre-lottery spot at #5, and not drop back into a four way tie, decided by coin flips.

slick'81
04-07-2023, 11:45 AM
The guy's auditioning vs a gleague squad aint getting our guys paid

spurs10
04-07-2023, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the grades. Wasn't happy to win, but can't expect the players to cheat the fans.

DPG21920
04-07-2023, 01:27 PM
Watch POR get the number one pick and it be this loss that effectively did it lol

exstatic
04-07-2023, 02:04 PM
Watch POR get the number one pick and it be this loss that effectively did it lol

Portland was #5 before this win, and are still #5. It didn’t increase their odds.

heyheymymy
04-07-2023, 02:08 PM
lock. up. Champagnie.

MultiTroll
04-07-2023, 02:10 PM
Or are they? The hell were they doing going ahead 119-110 with only 4 minutes to go versus Spurs?

heyheymymy
04-07-2023, 02:11 PM
18/4/10 with 1 steal zero fouls and 2 TOs for Jones people denigrate him but he produced

Mr. Body
04-07-2023, 02:22 PM
Or are they? The hell were they doing going ahead 119-110 with only 4 minutes to go versus Spurs?

The players on the floor are always going to go hard.

Chinook
04-07-2023, 02:45 PM
Portland was #5 before this win, and are still #5. It didn’t increase their odds.

If the fifth seed wins the first-overall pick, why does it matter if it's PDX or another team?

DPG21920
04-07-2023, 03:03 PM

It will if they lose out….this was their winnable game and it kept them in that spot at worst. Just funny is all….it will all be retroactively looked at is all. Has nothing to do with odds etc…we wouldn’t say “see, SA should have won a little more since 5th best odds won it!”.

Would just be funny if staying 5th or whatever lands it.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-07-2023, 03:22 PM
The hell, man.

:lol

heyheymymy
04-07-2023, 03:30 PM
The magic number shit is finished. Spurs locked a bottom 3 and secured best possible 14% odds for # 1. Full success and a job well done.

In any other year perhaps the fall back odds would matter more, but looking at the draft talent say 4-7, the skills are more or less equivalent. So considering the rookie pay scale stair steps down in cost each slot downward, and I'm talking like half a mil which I assure you matters to SA front office, if anything San Antonio Spurs may prefer to win games vs shield from fall back 5-7 odds.

Why pay slot 4 or slot 5 scale, why deliberately lose games to ensure that you don't fall past 5, when the skills for any candidate in that range is pretty perceivably interchangeable? Spurs may be intentionally untanking now to enhance fall back to 5-7 odds since it would be a discount for the same approx talent levels.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-07-2023, 03:35 PM
^^^ likely Pop's thought process as well.

John B
04-07-2023, 03:42 PM
If the fall back is #7, the Spurs are confident that they can develop that player as well.

heyheymymy
04-07-2023, 03:42 PM
Winning games?

To complete the proper tank?

It's like Seinfeld: Sex? to SAVE the friendship?

Mr. Body
04-07-2023, 04:01 PM
If the fall back is #7, the Spurs are confident that they can develop that player as well.

The #7 pick in this draft will likely be more ready to play than the #4 or #5 pick.

DPG21920
04-07-2023, 04:34 PM
Truth is everything should be on the table for a team like Spurs. Even trading the pick. If Sa can get real value out of this years draft pick, assuming it’s not top 2, everything should be on table.

That’s where pick 6 vs 7 may come into play some, but is what it is. I’m not against trading back or out of the draft or up if that is possible too.

scott
04-07-2023, 04:38 PM
With lottery balls in mind, should Pop really have gone after this win as much as he did? Probably not, if we’re being honest.

Spurs lottery balls not impacted by the results of this game, if we're being honest.

exstatic
04-07-2023, 05:09 PM
Truth is everything should be on the table for a team like Spurs. Even trading the pick. If Sa can get real value out of this years draft pick, assuming it’s not top 2, everything should be on table.

That’s where pick 6 vs 7 may come into play some, but is what it is. I’m not against trading back or out of the draft or up if that is possible too.

I can’t see them trading out. Even the worst case of #7 is two picks higher than last year, and who know when we’ll start the lottery at #3 again. I am open to trading back if we get another FRP.

DPG21920
04-07-2023, 05:24 PM
I can’t see them trading out. Even the worst case of #7 is two picks higher than last year, and who know when we’ll start the lottery at #3 again. I am open to trading back if we get another FRP.

Ya - I have no idea how likely that specific scenario would be - but I think they should be open to everything at that level.

rascal
04-07-2023, 09:07 PM
The magic number shit is finished. Spurs locked a bottom 3 and secured best possible 14% odds for # 1. Full success and a job well done.

In any other year perhaps the fall back odds would matter more, but looking at the draft talent say 4-7, the skills are more or less equivalent. So considering the rookie pay scale stair steps down in cost each slot downward, and I'm talking like half a mil which I assure you matters to SA front office, if anything San Antonio Spurs may prefer to win games vs shield from fall back 5-7 odds.

Why pay slot 4 or slot 5 scale, why deliberately lose games to ensure that you don't fall past 5, when the skills for any candidate in that range is pretty perceivably interchangeable? Spurs may be intentionally untanking now to enhance fall back to 5-7 odds since it would be a discount for the same approx talent levels.

The Spurs aren't untanking. They played a team who is tanking more and they barely won the game.