PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Chandler Waived by Memphis Grizzlies

Mr. Body
04-08-2023, 02:00 PM
Not necessarily huge news, but the Grizzlies have cut Kennedy Chandler, the U of Tennessee point guard the Spurs traded to them this past draft. Apparently they need to convert Lofton onto the full roster for the playoffs because Stephen Adams is out. This hurts because they signed Chandler to a real contract.

The SRP the Spurs received for him is a 2024 from the Lakers.

Ariel
04-08-2023, 02:01 PM
Yup, just read it. He's too small and has a shaky jumper, that didn't scream success.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-08-2023, 02:03 PM
Decent player but being that small and unable to shoot is nearly impossible to overcome in today’s NBA.

Edit: damn beaten by a half second by Ariel :lol

Mr. Body
04-08-2023, 02:07 PM
Yeah, he was a good defensive guard in college but he's really small and doesn't shoot well. Not sure why Grizz gave him a guaranteed deal.

I remember being annoyed the Spurs didn't keep him, since they traded DJM and badly needed point guard help. Tre Jones is far, far better than him (of course) and they had help elsewhere. At best Chandler would have been a band-aid. Turns out the Spurs had a semi-deal with Barlow to pick him up after the draft so they knew they were getting four rookies anyway.

TD 21
04-08-2023, 03:14 PM
Decent player but being that small and unable to shoot is nearly impossible to overcome in today’s NBA.

Edit: damn beaten by a half second by Ariel :lol

Yet I keep hearing how valuable Jones supposedly is from people of your ilk.

noob cake
04-08-2023, 04:16 PM
Cut for non basketball reasons. You don't cut a rookie guard for no reason.

Rumor is related to pampering Ja Morant.

adonis827
04-09-2023, 10:40 AM
Josh Primo is better lol

For Grizzlies they are set for PG with Morant and Tyus Jones so PG position is not really a big need. With Steven Adams down they need some big men depth though so they have to bring built like a tank Lofton

Chinook
04-09-2023, 11:10 AM
Yet I keep hearing how valuable Jones supposedly is from people of your ilk.

Jones is bigger than Chandler, has already shown he can play in the NBA and has a similarly sized brother who has also shown he can play in the NBA. Weird attempt at a jab. There are plenty of players in the NBA now and historically who've been at or below Jones' height. I'm not even sure that Chandler is a failure at this point; the Spurs have multiple decent players who were cut from their firsts teams on the roster right now. But if he is, using a lazy scouting report comparison to try to make a point is lame.

TD 21
04-09-2023, 11:11 AM
Cut for non basketball reasons. You don't cut a rookie guard for no reason.

Rumor is related to pampering Ja Morant.

:lmao Mr. Body said the reason: With Adams joining Clarke as done for the season, they were down to Jackson Jr. and Tillman Sr. as the only credible options to play center. The only other big period is Aldama.

Jones is bigger than Chandler, has already shown he can play in the NBA and has a similarly sized brother who has also shown he can play in the NBA. Weird attempt at a jab. There are plenty of players in the NBA now and historically who've been at or below Jones' height. I'm not even sure that Chandler is a failure at this point; the Spurs have multiple decent players who were cut from their firsts teams on the roster right now. But if he is, using a lazy scouting report comparison to try to make a point is lame.

I wasn't comparing Chandler to Jones. I was saying if the notion that being small and unable to shoot makes it nearly impossible to overcome in today's NBA, then why do the apologists/homers keep pretending the latter is more valuable than he is?

Jones' brother became relatively valuable when he became a credible 3-point threat.

scott
04-09-2023, 06:22 PM
Lofton goes for 42 today. Love a good fatty who can score the rock.

The Truth #6
04-11-2023, 08:18 AM
Lofton goes for 42 today. Love a good fatty who can score the rock.

Fat guys with skills are under appreciated.

exstatic
04-11-2023, 09:15 AM
Fat guys with skills are under appreciated.

Boris Diaw has entered the chat...