PDA

View Full Version : Will Stern Jr. (Adam Silver) do any discipline for tanking?

MultiTroll
04-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Mavs in particular with Jason Kidds public snitching.

Put this in the Spurs forum because who knows if this will ever affect us.

Pretty much all teams tank in the right circumstances. You really gonna try to tell us the Spurs didn't do any tanking this season?
But the Dallas thing got way out of hand and public.
Additionally witness todays 1st quarter. :rollin

However as a poster noted, look at what happened in one of Sterns main pet teams game today, the Golden Phaggots 55 points in the 1st qtr vs the Jailblazers.

So, bottom line will Adam silver do anything?

Ariel
04-09-2023, 04:31 PM
Probably a slap on the wrist... some 2nd rounders and cash.

scott
04-09-2023, 04:34 PM
I think he'll hit the Mavs with a fine and maybe dock them a SRP. Silver is in a tough spot with all the talking he did before the season about tanking and the Mavs so blatantly doing it.

TekXX
04-09-2023, 05:55 PM
I mean if you're a coach and you're stupid enough to hint at tanking you deserve something.

Harry Callahan
04-09-2023, 05:57 PM
Jason Kidd is not the sharpest person around. Talked too much.

spurs1990
04-09-2023, 06:02 PM
Portland should get in on that too. Giving up 55 pts in a quarter. The Jazz scored 54 pts in an NBA finals game once upon a time

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-09-2023, 10:06 PM
teams with an all-star on the roster shouldn't be allowed to pick top 3

spurs10
04-10-2023, 02:04 AM
I think Cuban will get fined, not for what he did, but for saying it out loud.

exstatic
04-10-2023, 07:07 AM
Jason Kidd is not the sharpest person around. Talked too much.

JKidd has always considered himself above reproach.

exstatic
04-10-2023, 07:13 AM
teams with an all-star on the roster shouldn't be allowed to pick top 3

Teams who have picked top 3 the previous two years shouldn’t be allowed to pick top 3.

Seventyniner
04-10-2023, 11:59 AM
I do wish there would be a top X restriction depending on where a team picked in the previous year. For example, if you pick #1 then the next season you can't pick in the top 6. If you pick #2 then the next season you can't pick in the top 5, etc.

An even easier version is to do the lottery just like now but exclude any team that picked in the top 4 the previous year. A potential problem here is that you would have mid level teams with a huge incentive to tank; taking away up to 56% of the combos more than doubles the top 4 chances of all the other teams.

But at least both of these would get rid of the shameless multi-year tanks that started with The Process Sixers and were followed by the Thunder and now the Pistons and Rockets.

exstatic
04-10-2023, 12:18 PM
I do wish there would be a top X restriction depending on where a team picked in the previous year. For example, if you pick #1 then the next season you can't pick in the top 6. If you pick #2 then the next season you can't pick in the top 5, etc.

An even easier version is to do the lottery just like now but exclude any team that picked in the top 4 the previous year. A potential problem here is that you would have mid level teams with a huge incentive to tank; taking away up to 56% of the combos more than doubles the top 4 chances of all the other teams.

But at least both of these would get rid of the shameless multi-year tanks that started with The Process Sixers and were followed by the Thunder and now the Pistons and Rockets.

Don’t remove the combinations for the affected teams, just throw them back, like you would a repeat draw for one team. That wouldn’t change any teams odds.

ducks
04-11-2023, 08:32 PM
Should pull their boxers down and use the strap on their bare butt
Then on their balls

The Truth #6
04-11-2023, 08:45 PM
Teams who have picked top 3 the previous two years shouldn’t be allowed to pick top 3.

That’s really what they need to do. I’d love that as a rule.

The Truth #6
04-11-2023, 08:47 PM
But as for the original question, I think Adam will make a stink out of Dallas to save face. All he cares about is appearances.

MarCowMar
04-12-2023, 01:03 AM
I can no longer dig up the link for it but there was a person who suggested a change to the draft settings that almost always left teams with a motivation to win.

The basic idea is that when a certain threshold was reached (in terms of losses), any further losses would decrease your draft odds and only wins would improve it.

So imagine if when the Spurs had been eliminated from playoff contention this year, that only wins could improve their draft odds in the Wemby sweepstakes? How much more fun would the last half of the season been if every win counted?

ChatGPT has a suggestion too of course:

https://files.catbox.moe/6om5bc.png

exstatic
04-12-2023, 05:57 AM
I can no longer dig up the link for it but there was a person who suggested a change to the draft settings that almost always left teams with a motivation to win.

The basic idea is that when a certain threshold was reached (in terms of losses), any further losses would decrease your draft odds and only wins would improve it.

So imagine if when the Spurs had been eliminated from playoff contention this year, that only wins could improve their draft odds in the Wemby sweepstakes? How much more fun would the last half of the season been if every win counted?

ChatGPT has a suggestion too of course:

https://files.catbox.moe/6om5bc.png

The problem with that is that bad teams are BAD, and if only wins improve their draft status, you’re actually penalizing them for being bad. To me, the only teams that should be penalized are repeat offenders.

John B
04-12-2023, 11:36 AM
Adam Silver's memo to NBA Teams: ...."If we ever received evidence that players or coaches were attempting to lose or otherwise taking steps to cause any game to result otherwise than on its competitive merits, that conduct would be met with the swiftest and harshest response possible from the league office." :wakeup
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/7ed1a058-8165-479b-9866-1c4f7a01bf9ehttps://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/5a67a25f-cd8c-4b00-b3b5-3e6e2a4052e0

The Truth #6
04-12-2023, 01:46 PM
The problem with that is that bad teams are BAD, and if only wins improve their draft status, you’re actually penalizing them for being bad. To me, the only teams that should be penalized are repeat offenders.

I think it would depend on point #1, and how many points each bad team is given to start the season. I think it's an interesting idea, but the devil is in the details. But I agree the repeat offenders are an issue, and so that could be factored into how many points are allotted as well.

SPURt
04-14-2023, 02:28 PM
$750k slap on the wrist for Dallas :lol what a joke

K...
04-14-2023, 02:54 PM
Didnt pop get 250k for this back in the day? Inflation adjusted?.

2012 250k.....2021 25k. So dallas is slightly worse?.

spurs10
04-14-2023, 03:03 PM
750K fine for Cuban is 150k more than last time. He obviously thought it was worth it.

Harry Callahan
04-14-2023, 03:11 PM
That $750K fine is not punishment - AT ALL. Silver is just another lying lawyer. That's always been the case, just like Stern.

Ariel
04-14-2023, 03:39 PM
Probably a slap on the wrist... some 2nd rounders and cash.
Damn, even less than I thought :lol

talkspurs
04-15-2023, 01:08 AM
Didnt pop get 250k for this back in the day? Inflation adjusted?.

2012 250k.....2021 25k. So dallas is slightly worse?.

Slightly different. Spurs were fined for resting but not for tanking. Dallas was fined for tanking. Yes they set players so kind of the same but intent was different.

K...
04-15-2023, 11:14 AM
Slightly different. Spurs were fined for resting but not for tanking. Dallas was fined for tanking. Yes they set players so kind of the same but intent was different.

didn't stern do the ban before the game such that the fact the game was actually good was not material? At the end of the day i don't see a distinction. To the teams , yes spurs were not tanking but protesting against back to backs, but for the league the motive is the same: when the league puts a highlight on your game you must play your stars. that's why the penalty is the same. I know Silver particularly said he would punish tankers but this was such a specific, "slovenia appreciation day" it was a massive FU to silver for specific reasons. Silver isn't punishing other overt tankers like detroit, houston, Portland ertc,

exstatic
04-15-2023, 11:28 AM
didn't stern do the ban before the game such that the fact the game was actually good was not material? At the end of the day i don't see a distinction. To the teams , yes spurs were not tanking but protesting against back to backs, but for the league the motive is the same: when the league puts a highlight on your game you must play your stars. that's why the penalty is the same. I know Silver particularly said he would punish tankers but this was such a specific, "slovenia appreciation day" it was a massive FU to silver for specific reasons. Silver isn't punishing other overt tankers like detroit, houston, Portland ertc,

Yeah, Stern looked all kinds of stupid after a game that required some serious LeBron heroics to pull it out in the last minute or two.

Spurs Homer
04-15-2023, 11:38 AM
Should pull their boxers down and use the strap on their bare butt
Then on their balls

cannot even begin to count how much gay projection is in this ducks perv quote!