PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Mavs - Apr. 9, 2023

timvp
04-10-2023, 02:02 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-mavericks-grades-82-2/

Welp, another season in the books. Excited to move on to draft and free agent coverage, tbh :tu

Mr. Body
04-10-2023, 07:33 AM
Champagnie is a better help defender than a man defender - he gets jumpy at fakes and can be flat-footed - but these can be improved. The effort is there.

One time Mamukelashvili passed up a 3-pointer, I saw Pop clap his hands in disgust. Don't remember if it was this game or not. Clearly Pop wants him to shoot it whenever open; too often Mamu checks out of the shot to try to drive or kick. He's starting to let it fly.

Am I saying about Barlow about what I said about Sochan and Branham? This guy is better than I thought. I mean, he was going up against the tower of Davis Bertans at center, but he's doing all the right things. I particularly like the swipes he's been getting at half-court. Good hands.

jjspur
04-10-2023, 08:44 AM
Mamu and Champagnie were excellent pickups and the spurs were patient with Barlow all season and it looks like its finally paying dividends. It will be an interesting next year with a high draft pick and two solid 2nd's possibly in the mix. The above 3 have easily made a case to be on the team next year in some fashion. Even though the team had a really bad record and a lot on injuries (some real some not) The team improved overall even just a bit from the start of the season. Even if we don't get the #1 pick, this will easily be a better than a 22 win team next season and that's progress which is what we all want.

SPURt
04-10-2023, 11:06 AM
Thanks for doing this all season timvp. Sharing the trauma of this slog made it more enjoyable lol

rjv
04-10-2023, 11:49 AM
no one was more obvious about tanking than the mavs-and that's saying something. there should be a way to make sure their pick cannot land in the top three.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-10-2023, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the commitment Timvp!

It would have been nice to wrap up the 2nd worst record outright, but, as you said, the Mavs just wouldn't win. You can almost picture a high school football game with the opposing cheerleading squads chanting back and forth "WE SUCK MORE!" "WE SUCK MORE!"

Oh well. All that matters is the Wemby ping pong ball anyway.

spurraider21
04-10-2023, 01:09 PM
thanks for the full season of grades :tu

John B
04-10-2023, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. That was sheer commitment.

Barlow was impressive. Still very much raw and a lot to work on, but the kid has a great attitude and works hard. This off-season I like him to work on outside shooting. He already has the mid-range locked. He gets those outside shots and should bevready to take Dieng’s (if any) minutes. I expect Mamu to get KBD’s (I think he gets offer(s) elsewhere and the Spurs woukd let him walk.

Champagnie would be a good 3 and D if he could work on his defense this off-season. He has the athleticism and physicality, 6’10 wingspan. I know he’ll get better at it.

Blake, I’m not losing hope on him. He blessed with speed and athleticism. Just keep on shooting the rock, getting aggressive. I am rooting so hard for this guy. I think he has one of the highest ceiling. I can’t wait for the finished product. think he’ll be a multiple star.

Mamu, work on finishing strong in the rim. Already he’s earning trips to FT lime. I want him getting the And1’s too.

Branham, Sochan I already know they’ll be even better next season after the outstanding rookie season. Keep getting better.

I think Spurs have a very good young core. Now to get lucky and draft the key piece of the puzzle - Wemby.