PDA

View Full Version : Second Round Picks 2023

BackHome
04-10-2023, 10:33 PM
I know we all ready have a draft thread but I think it's more towards first round picks and as the title suggest I am more interested in seeing people pet cats for the second round. So going into the draft we have probably looking at the 33rd pick and Raptors will probably be 43rd pick. Please feel free to write up any trade ups if you got someone you like in the first that you think we can trade up with our two picks.

As far as the guys I am looking at with our first second round pick would be:

Bilal Coulibaly - a 6'6 wing with I think a 7'2 wingspan to me he has potential and he could be a draft and stash. Be sweet to get him to go with his teammate Wemb...:hungry:

Donovan Clingan - A 7'2 Big man from UConn - I am not sure he will declare but if he does I would take a chance on him very much Walker like.

Julian Strawther -A 6'7 wing - just sold all round player

Jordan Walsh - A 6'7 wing with a 7'2 wingspan which he uses is a great defender could become Danny 2.0

For our second pick looking at A couple of Draft and Stash players:

Nikola Djurisic - A 6'8 forward has a nice mid game very smart more offense then defense not to keen on his rebounding

Tristan Vukcevic - A 6'11 forward only 19 has some nice offense potential worth the stash

Azuolas Tubelis - A 6'11 PF/C - I still like him as during the March run he still averaged over 20 pts and around 10 rebounds a game

exstatic
04-10-2023, 10:41 PM
I doubt we make both SRPs. We had two last year, and flipped one to Memphis.

Chinook
04-10-2023, 10:59 PM
I doubt we make both SRPs. We had two last year, and flipped one to Memphis.

They had one last year. Their natural pick was traded with Diaw for Olivier Hanlan and the Detroit pick was traded to Toronto in the Thad Young trade. You're correct about them trading that Lakers second away though.

heyheymymy
04-10-2023, 11:08 PM
Would be so sick to get Wemby with Bilal Coulibaly but I'm not sure Bilal will fall.

I think Julian Strawther would be a solid second for SA. Agree that Spurs will trade away the TOR 2023 2RP.

heyheymymy
04-10-2023, 11:13 PM
Actually I like your draft and stash list for the TOR 2RP, good swings.

Secure the rights if they blossom but don't hinder the development staff further and buy yourself time to bring them on later.

Ariel
04-10-2023, 11:51 PM
With our own 2nd rounder (32/33) my targets are:

Bilal Coulibaly (unlikely he falls this much, I'd like to trade up for him into the 20s)
Julian Strawther
Jaime Jaquez Jr
Noah Clowney

With Toronto's pick (43/44), a draft & stash route with this pick would be the most likely scenario. In any case, my targets are:

James Nnaji (draft & stash)
Judah Mintz
Adem Bona

Also, there are several teams with multiple picks (order not yet final) or that could be willing to move one or more:

Brooklyn: 21, 22, 51
Indiana: 8, 26, 29, 32, 55
Charlotte: 4, 27, 34, 39, 42
Utah: 9, 16, 28
Golden State: 20
Orlando: 6, 12, 36
Atlanta: 15, 46

In particular those marked in red could be suitable for trading up from our 2nd rounders, if there's an interesting target within reach I wouldn't hesitate to throw in 1 or 2 future seconds to move up and secure him.

JPB
04-11-2023, 04:02 AM
If spurs can score both Wemby and Bilal, that would be a heck of a draft. But I agree Bilal is probably gone before. Too much exposition these last few months near Wemby to go unnoticed.

mo7888
04-11-2023, 07:15 AM

Bilal Coulibaly (unlikely he falls this much, I'd like to trade up for him into the 20s)
Julian Strawther
Jaime Jaquez Jr
Noah Clowney

With Toronto's pick (43/44), a draft & stash route with this pick would be the most likely scenario. In any case, my targets are:

Judah Mintz
Adem Bona

Also, there are several teams with multiple picks (order not yet final) or that could be willing to move one or more:

In particular those marked in red could be suitable for trading up from our 2nd rounders, if there's an interesting target within reach I wouldn't hesitate to throw in 1 or 2 future seconds to move up and secure him.

I'm not sure what Brooklyn's plans are, but I'd think if any of the rest in red moved a pick it'd be either for a player or picks in the future just based on the sheer volume of picks they have in this draft. I think the Lakers pick might be more available. They might prefer a couple 2nd's in this draft and future considerations for their pick because they might prefer adding volume with this new CBA.

CGD
04-11-2023, 07:49 AM
Keep #33 and trade/rollover #43 to another year. #33 is pretty much a late FRP. With Barlow, Mamu, Champaigne showing they merit a second look, spurs don’t need even more bodies to start next year in my view.

Ariel
04-11-2023, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure what Brooklyn's plans are, but I'd think if any of the rest in red moved a pick it'd be either for a player or picks in the future just based on the sheer volume of picks they have in this draft. I think the Lakers pick might be more available. They might prefer a couple 2nd's in this draft and future considerations for their pick because they might prefer adding volume with this new CBA.
yeah, that sounds like a reasonable assumption, unless they want a draft and stash kind of guy. I'd do Charlotte's pick for any of the Brookllyn picks (20/21)

Keep #33 and trade/rollover #43 to another year. #33 is pretty much a late FRP. With Barlow, Mamu, Champaigne showing they merit a second look, spurs don’t need even more bodies to start next year in my view.
we have lots of future seconds, we need to consolidate them into better picks, but we could also use them now in a viable draft and stash. Then you get a couple more years to find out whether it's worth bringing that player or not. Lots of teams have little 2nd rounders left, it'd be an opportunity to package a bunch of them together now.

Ddm5
04-11-2023, 08:01 AM
Don't we only have one draft pick in Round 2? Our own 2nd was traded it seems. So only the TOR pick.
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/draft-pick-tracker/a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-spurs-future-draft-picks

mo7888
04-11-2023, 08:32 AM
yeah, that sounds like a reasonable assumption, unless they want a draft and stash kind of guy. I'd do Charlotte's pick for any of the Brookllyn picks (20/21)

we have lots of future seconds, we need to consolidate them into better picks, but we could also use them now in a viable draft and stash. Then you get a couple more years to find out whether it's worth bringing that player or not. Lots of teams have little 2nd rounders left, it'd be an opportunity to package a bunch of them together now.

I'd definitely be interested in putting together a package for one of those Brooklyn picks. Maybe Charlotte + one of our 2nd's... I'd do that in a heartbeat because I see this draft as pretty deep until around 19 or 20 and a couple guys are bound to fall...

mo7888
04-11-2023, 08:33 AM
Don't we only have one draft pick in Round 2? Our own 2nd was traded it seems. So only the TOR pick.
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/draft-pick-tracker/a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-spurs-future-draft-picks

We have our own too....protections on our pick were very strong so it doesn't convey.

Mr. Body
04-11-2023, 08:36 AM

Julian Strawther
Jaime Jaquez Jr
Noah Clowney

Judah Mintz
Adem Bona

Those Indiana and Charlotte baskets are crazy. They have work cut out for them to make sure they get the right value for everything they have.

jjspur
04-11-2023, 08:40 AM
Just a thought here, maybe we see multiple 2nd rounders (2-4) traded for a decent role player like we saw during the last trade deadline. I thought it was a bit unusual all those 2nd round draft picks changing hands, but maybe it becomes a trend of sorts.

JPB
04-11-2023, 08:47 AM

Yeah, but spurs got 4 future SRPs from NO in the Ridcharson trade. That's something maybe they can use.

exstatic
04-11-2023, 09:14 AM
Just a thought here, maybe we see multiple 2nd rounders (2-4) traded for a decent role player like we saw during the last trade deadline. I thought it was a bit unusual all those 2nd round draft picks changing hands, but maybe it becomes a trend of sorts.

All those SRPs changed hands because there are almost no FRPs available. Utah, OKC and the Spurs have kind of cornered the market on FRPs to the point that the Stepien Rule is keeping teams from being able to trade some of their future FRPs.

Don't rule out the Spurs flat selling extra SRPs. They've pulled a few million each in the past.

Mr. Body
04-11-2023, 09:32 AM
Brandin Podziemski
DaRon Holmes II
Trayce Jackson-Davis

Leonard Miller will likely be gone by then

duncan2150
04-11-2023, 09:44 AM
I know we all ready have a draft thread but I think it's more towards first round picks and as the title suggest I am more interested in seeing people pet cats for the second round. So going into the draft we have probably looking at the 33rd pick and Raptors will probably be 43rd pick. Please feel free to write up any trade ups if you got someone you like in the first that you think we can trade up with our two picks.

As far as the guys I am looking at with our first second round pick would be:

Bilal Coulibaly - a 6'6 wing with I think a 7'2 wingspan to me he has potential and he could be a draft and stash. Be sweet to get him to go with his teammate Wemb...:hungry:

Donovan Clingan - A 7'2 Big man from UConn - I am not sure he will declare but if he does I would take a chance on him very much Walker like.

Julian Strawther -A 6'7 wing - just sold all round player

Jordan Walsh - A 6'7 wing with a 7'2 wingspan which he uses is a great defender could become Danny 2.0

For our second pick looking at A couple of Draft and Stash players:

Nikola Djurisic - A 6'8 forward has a nice mid game very smart more offense then defense not to keen on his rebounding

Tristan Vukcevic - A 6'11 forward only 19 has some nice offense potential worth the stash

Azuolas Tubelis - A 6'11 PF/C - I still like him as during the March run he still averaged over 20 pts and around 10 rebounds a game

Clingan return to Uconn for another year.

On this list i like Strawther, tough he could duplicate a little bit what Champagnie bring to the team ( if he comes back), and offcourse Coulibaly.

Vukcevic could be a good option for a draft and stash with the Toronto pick.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-11-2023, 12:08 PM
33 should be a nice pick. Usually can snatch up the first rounders that fell out for whatever reason.

Mr. Body
04-11-2023, 12:51 PM
Filipowski is going back to Duke. Smart move; he sucked. But they should be very good next year.

The Truth #6
04-11-2023, 01:36 PM
I’m impressed anyone is looking at SRPs. It seems hard enough to find FRPs to get excited about.

I hear Jaquez consistently mentioned as a SRP but he might be gone in the first round.

buttsR4rebounding
04-11-2023, 01:44 PM
Brandin Podziemski
DaRon Holmes II
Trayce Jackson-Davis

Leonard Miller will likely be gone by then

I really like Jackson-Davis. Also Miller really worked on his game with the Ignite. He still needs lots of work, but he's definitely someone I would like to see them trade into the 1st round to snag. He might be ready in 2 years when Keldon has 2 team friendly years left on his contract and might fetch a DJM-lite deal.

JPB
04-11-2023, 02:00 PM
I’m impressed anyone is looking at SRPs. It seems hard enough to find FRPs to get excited about.

I hear Jaquez consistently mentioned as a SRP but he might be gone in the first round.

You can find cheap, bench guys there from the Bassey/Mamu/Barlow/Champagnie variety and even luck into a little gem here or there.

Mr. Body
04-11-2023, 02:24 PM

It seems a bit senseless to discount SRPs. You start to sound like rascal, who seems to think the entire roster is supposed to be filled with top 5 picks. The league is littered with effective guys selected late or not at all. The Spurs just picked up four players who have some promise who were either not drafted or drafted late and I think there's reason to look forward to what they can do. Clearly the organization doesn't have your attitude.

Ariel
04-11-2023, 02:33 PM
But that's the point. He might, he might not. When you're in the early 2nd round, you don't target guys you're expecting to fall into the 50s, but those guys that should be taken in the mid to late part of the first, and end up falling for one reason or another (fit, rumors, prejudice, etc). If you put together a list of 5 or so of those guys, you're surely to find one of them falling into your lap. Happens every year. In this case, because of his age and perceived lower "upside", Jaquez is likely to be a late first / early second kind of guy. I'd strongly consider him there.

The Truth #6
04-11-2023, 03:48 PM
It seems a bit senseless to discount SRPs. You start to sound like rascal, who seems to think the entire roster is supposed to be filled with top 5 picks. The league is littered with effective guys selected late or not at all. The Spurs just picked up four players who have some promise who were either not drafted or drafted late and I think there's reason to look forward to what they can do. Clearly the organization doesn't have your attitude.

Uhh, what???

I think you’re response says more about you then me having less motivation this year to look at lower level prospects. Good lord, you’re the one saying how this is a weak draft over and over again but now you’re telling me I’m Rascal, whatever that means, and that I should take more interest in second round picks. Seems like a really weird take.

Mr. Body
04-11-2023, 03:55 PM
Uhh, what???

I think you’re response says more about you then me having less motivation this year to look at lower level prospects. Good lord, you’re the one saying how this is a weak draft over and over again but now you’re telling me I’m Rascal, whatever that means, and that I should take more interest in second round picks. Seems like a really weird take.

It is a weak draft. I mean, if you don't want to give a shit, don't join the threads.