PDA

View Full Version : former spur dejounte murry threatens paolo banchero

playblair
04-24-2023, 06:00 AM
https://i.imgur.com/sqi2wSP.jpeg

daslicer
04-24-2023, 07:07 AM
Dejounte's team is down 3-1. It's weird and shows immaturity this guy is acting like a gangster while he should be focusing on how to help his team win a series.

couchman
04-24-2023, 07:29 AM
Honestly amazed how the Spurs and Pop mostly kept this guy in check for so long

barakz21
04-24-2023, 08:20 AM
What’s the deal? Him and Banchero had that beef prior to the season, then it seemed they buried the hatchet and now this? Understandable if they were playing in the playoffs. Murray such a weird dude, he seems super chill in interviews but posts shit like this is social media.

Also, weird flex but you’d think a “gangsta” wouldn’t be talking publicly about fucking a dude in the ass.

td4mvp2k
04-24-2023, 08:20 AM
Honestly amazed how the Spurs and Pop mostly kept this guy in check for so long

Im sure their thrilled it worked out as it did because the guy is a pos pretty simple.. he even went after white with some BS in the series with boston. hope the guy blows his other knee tbh

exstatic
04-24-2023, 08:21 AM
Dejounte's team is down 3-1. It's weird and shows immaturity this guy is acting like a gangster while he should be focusing on how to help his team win a series.

It’s not an act. His whole family is ganged up, up to and including his grandma.

Leetonidas
04-24-2023, 08:37 AM
Welcome to last summer

toki9
04-24-2023, 08:37 AM
Then there was this in Game 3: https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/36258261

lefty
04-24-2023, 08:45 AM
he also bumped the ref at the end of game 4

spursparker9
04-24-2023, 08:45 AM
Killer instinct :lol

exstatic
04-24-2023, 09:05 AM

Incredibly dumb move.

toki9
04-24-2023, 09:20 AM

https://twitter.com/creatorjordan23/status/1650312410593480704

Dejounte
04-24-2023, 09:50 AM
This is blatant fake news spreading. This didnt happen recently. It was several months ago

ismael-robert
04-24-2023, 11:12 AM
What’s the deal? Him and Banchero had that beef prior to the season, then it seemed they buried the hatchet and now this? Understandable if they were playing in the playoffs. Murray such a weird dude, he seems super chill in interviews but posts shit like this is social media.

Also, weird flex but you’d think a “gangsta” wouldn’t be talking publicly about fucking a dude in the ass.

U realize he's talking about faking him out so bad with a basketball move he'll blow his back out....geeze

MultiTroll
04-24-2023, 11:22 AM

https://twitter.com/creatorjordan23/status/1650312410593480704Automatic penalty once league reviews? Since he is not Gaymond.

barakz21
04-24-2023, 11:36 AM
U realize he's talking about faking him out so bad with a basketball move he'll blow his back out....geeze

what do I know? I got no bball skills, AT ALL. So I wouldn’t know lol. In any case, still pretty weird why one would use that phrase specifically, even if what you said is what he meant. I equated it as “I’m gonna fuck you up so bad”, but still why would you phrase it like that? In private, maybe. Social media? Hell no

JPB
04-24-2023, 01:53 PM
what do I know? I got no bball skills, AT ALL. So I wouldn’t know lol. In any case, still pretty weird why one would use that phrase specifically, even if what you said is what he meant. I equated it as “I’m gonna fuck you up so bad”, but still why would you phrase it like that? In private, maybe. Social media? Hell no

Specially when his sister has been sentenced to life for the murder of an old woman, which she was accused of for 2 years now.

exstatic
04-24-2023, 01:58 PM
Specially when his sister has been sentenced to life for the murder of an old woman, which she was accused of for 2 years now.

That's Kawhi's sister, not DJ's.

Sugus
04-24-2023, 02:05 PM
Love to see DJ unraveling. Those ATL picks get juicier by the minute.

By the by, this DJ career arc is a great example of (yet another) terribly underrated skill for a coach and org to have - the ability to make players fall in line and buy into the team culture instead of their individual ego driving them.

DJ's attitude has been night-and-day at literally every turn since he's left the Spurs, and it's no coincidence at all. Even washed Pop kept him in check better than anyone in ATL can, and between him and Trae, I'd say Snyder doesn't have too long a time before his seat starts getting warm.

barakz21
04-24-2023, 03:38 PM

I was just gonna say that too. But was the same sister who was engaging Spurfans during all the speculation prior to the trade?

JPB
04-24-2023, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I just realized my confusion. It was a long season you know.

K...
04-24-2023, 04:30 PM
Suspended1650610330580467712

spurs1990
04-24-2023, 04:44 PM
Wasn't that from last summer his beef with Banchero, or has he renewed it?

Buford getting 3 1st's for Murray is probably the most brilliant FO move since the Leonard disaster

emanueldavidginobili
04-24-2023, 04:52 PM

Buford getting 3 1st's for Murray is probably the most brilliant FO move since the Leonard disaster
Yeah it was during the summer last year when they played against each other at Jamal Crawfords league in Seattle.

exstatic
04-24-2023, 04:56 PM

Brian Wright gets brickbats for the Kawhi trade, so he should at least get credit where credit is due. RC hasn’t been the shot caller since at least 2018.

Philthemage
04-24-2023, 06:40 PM
As spurs fans we should take it upon ourselves to egg him on.

playblair
04-24-2023, 07:01 PM
Welcome to last summer

This is blatant fake news spreading. This didnt happen recently. It was several months ago

Yeah it was during the summer last year when they played against each other at Jamal Crawfords league in Seattle.

:drunk

timtonymanu
04-24-2023, 07:40 PM

Getting suspended when the team needs him most, goddamn moron. That behavior was totally “worth” it.

ChumpDumper
04-24-2023, 09:14 PM
if ur going to defend someone have proof.......look at murrays avi.........murray did not have a hawks pic as his avi during the banchero summer incident.......Then make a link to the actual post.

Have proof.

Mr. Body
04-24-2023, 09:16 PM
Getting suspended when the team needs him most, goddamn moron. That behavior was totally “worth” it.

The point was made, though. The refs won't call a single foul on him in this next game.

exstatic
04-24-2023, 09:18 PM
The point was made, though. The refs won't call a single foul on him in this next game.

I look forward to that in October. Atlanta is going home series losers after game 5.

ChumpDumper
04-24-2023, 09:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/sqi2wSP.jpeg

Mr. Body
04-24-2023, 09:32 PM
I look forward to that in October. Atlanta is going home series losers after game 5.

I was trying to make a joke that they won't call a foul on him -- because he's not playing.

NickiRasgo
04-24-2023, 10:40 PM
This is old but this isn't edited or just a deleted one? Seems edited. Anyways, he blew Banchero's already?

Ariel
04-24-2023, 10:49 PM
DJ's attitude has been night-and-day at literally every turn since he's left the Spurs, and it's no coincidence at all. Even washed Pop kept him in check better than anyone in ATL can, and between him and Trae, I'd say Snyder doesn't have too long a time before his seat starts getting warm.
I think it's not so much that the Spurs had some extraordinary ability to keep Dejounte in check, but that circumstances didn't allow him to show his true self. Case in point, the Tony Parker situation in his rookie year. No one with an ounce of common sense would expect to be handed over the reins of a dynasty and taking over a legend in your rookie year, much less when he had ways to go before that. Yet it's clear now Dejounte always felt that way, to the point he took it as a sign of others "messing" with his head. He just kept it to himself, because his agent put him in his place by telling him "you have no trade value", so he had to (unwillingly) suck it up.
There's a sense of entitlement deeply ingrained, in his mind everything revolves around him. He just cannot comprehend he's not the center of the Universe, that Tony Parker doesn't owe him to put his career in the back seat just to mentor him, that the Spurs didn't have him (and everyone else) earn his place for the pleasure of playing "mind games" with him, that Banchero doesn't have to bow down to him just because he's a rookie who happens to come from the same city, that Derrick White playing tight defense on him isn't cause to take offense. Oddly enough, what all those have in common is that, for one reason or another, they were especially close to Dejounte, yet it's on those closest to him he lashes out on the hardest.
I think it was coming out even as a Spur, the FO saw it coming and realized he wasn't qualified to lead a rebuilding process and the franchise shouldn't commit financially to him in the long term, and moved on while the price was high. Now he's Atlanta's problem and, fortunately, we can follow this saga from a distance, sitting on the couch, eating popcorn. Snyder being just signed for 5 years and Trae's situation makes them a very interesting story to follow.

barakz21
04-24-2023, 11:26 PM
I think it's not so much that the Spurs had some extraordinary ability to keep Dejounte in check, but that circumstances didn't allow him to show his true self. Case in point, the Tony Parker situation in his rookie year. No one with an ounce of common sense would expect to be handed over the reins of a dynasty and taking over a legend in your rookie year, much less when he had ways to go before that. Yet it's clear now Dejounte always felt that way, to the point he took it as a sign of others "messing" with his head. He just kept it to himself, because his agent put him in his place by telling him "you have no trade value", so he had to (unwillingly) suck it up.
There's a sense of entitlement deeply ingrained, in his mind everything revolves around him. He just cannot comprehend he's not the center of the Universe, that Tony Parker doesn't owe him to put his career in the back seat just to mentor him, that the Spurs didn't have him (and everyone else) earn his place for the pleasure of playing "mind games" with him, that Banchero doesn't have to bow down to him just because he's a rookie who happens to come from the same city, that Derrick White playing tight defense on him isn't cause to take offense. Oddly enough, what all those have in common is that, for one reason or another, they were especially close to Dejounte, yet it's on those closest to him he lashes out on the hardest.
I think it was coming out even as a Spur, the FO saw it coming and realized he wasn't qualified to lead a rebuilding process and the franchise shouldn't commit financially to him in the long term, and moved on while the price was high. Now he's Atlanta's problem and, fortunately, we can follow this saga from a distance, sitting on the couch, eating popcorn. Snyder being just signed for 5 years and Trae's situation makes them a very interesting story to follow.

haven’t watched much of the playoffs, but did anything happen between him and DWhite?

Dex
04-25-2023, 12:25 AM

He sure showed that ref who was boss by, um....getting suspended.

Also, this is the kind of thing that will follow you. Refs are a union, they usually aren't going to do any favors for a player who is trying to intimidate or bully them. This reputation could stick with him for a while.

I am amazed by the lack of self-awareness by athletes sometimes.

Ice009
04-25-2023, 02:31 AM
He sure showed that ref who was boss by, um....getting suspended.

Also, this is the kind of thing that will follow you. Refs are a union, they usually aren't going to do any favors for a player who is trying to intimidate or bully them. This incident could follow him for a while.

I am amazed by the lack of self-awareness by athletes sometimes.

Pretty low IQ move. First time he's been in the playoffs and handles it like this. Pretty poor stuff by Murray. When the team needs you the most, he goes and does the stupidest possible move and gets suspended for a win-or-go-home game. Brilliant stuff, Dejounte. I didn't want you traded or gone, but now that I've seen your true colours, glad the Spurs have moved on. I did really like him. I thought he was a better person than this and that he'd turned the corner with the time he spent with Spurs. I guess I was wrong.

DeRozan m8
04-25-2023, 06:00 AM
This clown has the mental age of a 12 year old

slick'81
04-25-2023, 11:06 AM
Without the proper team and structure murrays immaturity is very apparent

The Truth #6
04-25-2023, 11:28 AM
Snyder was possibly thinking trade Trae Young and redirect the team but he’s probably wondering about Murray now too. Just speculating. Two problematic point guards. Pretty awesome for our draft picks.

TDomination
04-25-2023, 11:37 AM
Pretty low IQ move. First time he's been in the playoffs and handles it like this. Pretty poor stuff by Murray. When the team needs you the most, he goes and does the stupidest possible move and gets suspended for a win-or-go-home game. Brilliant stuff, Dejounte. I didn't want you traded or gone, but now that I've seen your true colours, glad the Spurs have moved on. I did really like him. I thought he was a better person than this and that he'd turned the corner with the time he spent with Spurs. I guess I was wrong.
i liked him too, but it goes to show that it really does matter what kind of people you surround yourself with.

dime con quien andas, y te dire quien eres. (tell me who you are with and i'll tell you who you are)

Seventyniner
04-25-2023, 12:16 PM
Snyder was possibly thinking trade Trae Young and redirect the team but he’s probably wondering about Murray now too. Just speculating. Two problematic point guards. Pretty awesome for our draft picks.

It would be interesting if they tear things down and get draft picks from other teams. Then they wouldn't have to worry about tanking because they would only own other teams' picks and not their own.

exstatic
04-25-2023, 12:24 PM
It would be interesting if they tear things down and get draft picks from other teams. Then they wouldn't have to worry about tanking because they would only own other teams' picks and not their own.

Maybe they'd have better luck with other team's picks, because they've certainly made a hash of their own.

The Truth #6
04-25-2023, 02:40 PM
I felt like they had a good eye for talent, granted, outside the Luka/Trae debacle. Specifically, they find good quality role players, but they horribly built around the wrong star.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-25-2023, 02:54 PM

Bigger deal than DJM's feud.

exstatic
04-25-2023, 04:03 PM
I felt like they had a good eye for talent, granted, outside the Luka/Trae debacle. Specifically, they find good quality role players, but they horribly built around the wrong star.

There last few non Trae top 10s:

Okungwu
Hunter
Reddish

Those are worse than most of our NON top 10 picks over the past 7-8 years.

ducks
04-25-2023, 04:04 PM

More to life then basketball
Just ask poop

spurs1990
04-25-2023, 04:37 PM
dime con quien andas, y te dire quien eres. (tell me who you are with and i'll tell you who you are)

Tell me with whom you walk, and to you I will tell who you are.

That's my three community-college spanish semesters translation verbatim of that maxim. First one I've ever heard tbh. It's a dang good one

Ariel
04-25-2023, 06:43 PM
Tell me with whom you walk, and to you I will tell who you are.

That's my three community-college spanish semesters translation verbatim of that maxim. First one I've ever heard tbh. It's a dang good one
Your translation is more word by word, than context based. I'd use "tell me who you hang out with, and I'll tell you who you are". Source: me, native Spanish speaker.

BackHome
04-25-2023, 08:11 PM
So whats the proper translation?

tonight...you
04-25-2023, 08:26 PM
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
I have it on the highest authority.

JPB
04-25-2023, 10:55 PM

That's the equivalent of "tell me who are your friends, I'll tell you who you are."

Biggems
04-26-2023, 06:53 PM
Shitlanta was not the best place for Murray to be, especially with his immaturity and gangsta lifestyle. He needs to be in Utah or Milwaukee.

The Truth #6
04-26-2023, 09:17 PM
There last few non Trae top 10s:

Okungwu
Hunter
Reddish

Those are worse than most of our NON top 10 picks over the past 7-8 years.

They’ve drafted plenty of promising role players: Huerter, John Collins, AJ Griffith, Jalen Johnson. Cam Reddish busted. Deandre Hunter hasn’t overwhelmed. I think OO is fine. So I don’t see them as failing at drafting overall.

Lonnie Walker, Sad Luka, and Primo—those are failures. No team is perfect.

exstatic
04-26-2023, 09:40 PM
They’ve drafted plenty of promising role players: Huerter, John Collins, AJ Griffith, Jalen Johnson. Cam Reddish busted. Deandre Hunter hasn’t overwhelmed. I think OO is fine. So I don’t see them as failing at drafting overall.

Never said we were perfect, and none of these players were top 10 picks, while all of the three ATL draft picks I listed were. Compare those three top 10 ATL picks with DJ, White, and Keldon, all picked at#29, and they seriously fail the test.

The Truth #6
04-26-2023, 09:52 PM
No, I initially said they had picked solid role players. You didn’t like that and for some reason switched to talking about their higher picks that didn’t live up to expectations. I went back to my initial point and listed several of their role players who were good pick ups. You’re trying to win an argument that I wasn’t even suggesting.

exstatic
04-27-2023, 05:35 AM
No, I initially said they had picked solid role players. You didn’t like that and for some reason switched to talking about their higher picks that didn’t live up to expectations. I went back to my initial point and listed several of their role players who were good pick ups. You’re trying to win an argument that I wasn’t even suggesting.

Who cares about solid role players in the top 10? You can get those anywhere in the first round. My contention was that they don’t draft well for the position of their picks, and I’ll stand by that.

Dejounte
04-27-2023, 06:07 AM
Yeah, sorry. Why is the bar lower for Atlanta on what players they picked up in the lottery? People here would whine and moan if the Spurs have had that many high picks only to come out with those group of players.

The Truth #6
04-27-2023, 09:02 AM
No, not really. I made a small comment that Atlanta drafted some good role players. John Collins and Huerter at 19 is actually pretty good, among other more recent picks, like AJ Griffith in the teens and Jalen Johnson at 20. I never said anything about defending their top ten picks or lowering the bar. So no, I’m not defending something I didn’t claim. But carry on.

John B
04-27-2023, 11:23 AM

Lonnie, Luka were low picks. Not many in the NBA last that long in those picks. Primo was a necessary hit and miss.

Like Giannis said, “it’s a process.” :lmao

Dejounte
04-27-2023, 03:47 PM
No, not really. I made a small comment that Atlanta drafted some good role players. John Collins and Huerter at 19 is actually pretty good, among other more recent picks, like AJ Griffith in the teens and Jalen Johnson at 20. I never said anything about defending their top ten picks or lowering the bar. So no, I’m not defending something I didn’t claim. But carry on.

Your words: “you dont see them failing at drafting overall”. This is defending their top ten picks because consensus is that if you don’t draft a star in that range, it’s a failure.

The Truth #6
04-27-2023, 05:27 PM
Or, they picked up enough good pieces later that I don’t see it as some abject failure like you do. But whatever. In the larger scheme, Atlanta’s biggest problem is not players busting, they have decent talent, but chaotic ownership and other internal personality issues and drama and an inability to manage it. Not too much more to say on my end. You guys seem much more passionate about this than me.

scott
04-27-2023, 10:30 PM
Since 2016, Atlanta rates as about average in terms of their drafting:

https://braydengerrard.shinyapps.io/Draft_Scores/

I like the Luck Factor chart. Atlanta is unlucky and slightly below average at drafting. Whereas the Spurs are unlucky and good at drafting.

Great article on this data science approach to draft grading: https://towardsdatascience.com/which-nba-teams-are-best-at-drafting-20070ccd1702

Teamduncan21
04-28-2023, 01:05 AM
Cool insights , Didn't expect Lakers to be good drafting. Always thought they don't draft well and some star player just magically appears because they're Lakers.

exstatic
04-28-2023, 06:19 AM
Cool insights , Didn't expect Lakers to be good drafting. Always thought they don't draft well and some star player just magically appears because they're Lakers.

DLo
BI
Julius Randle

Each made an All Star team AFTER the Lakers sent them packing. They draft well, but don’t build well.

Sugus
04-30-2023, 12:00 PM
I think it's not so much that the Spurs had some extraordinary ability to keep Dejounte in check, but that circumstances didn't allow him to show his true self. Case in point, the Tony Parker situation in his rookie year.

The "ability" might have just been a strong coaching presence in Pop and a good-headed, vet-led team, but cases like the Parker story (I think) actually reinforce how valuable that is, instead of diminishing it. We don't know if his agent told him something or not, and there have been many cases of players without real trade value "lashing out" (most recently Bones in Denver e.g.).

The fact remains that he evidently "pushed back" a lot of shit behavior while in SA, that immediately came to light when he stepped into ATL. Remember him smacking people in the head with the ball in like, offseason Pro-AM league? Guy didn't waste a second to let it out :lol

There's a sense of entitlement deeply ingrained, in his mind everything revolves around him...

Agree for sure. That interview was disgusting. What an entitled POS he turned out to be. And you know? It's one of the reasons having good support around you is crucial - I watched the video of him going at the ref like an idiot, and immediatly thought of Timmy pulling Manu/Tony away from trouble when things got heated. Good leadership keeps people in check and deescalates - and DJ's a terrible leader.

The more time passes, the happier I am with the decision the Spurs took with DJ. Great evaluation. For a FO so criticized, there are many teams in the league that would've chosen to continue building around the homegrown, fan-favorite "leader" instead of looking at the long-term picture.

Spurs getting lucky in the lottery would be icing on the cake, but the rebuild is coming along nicely already and ATL investing in DJ is the best we can hope for. Popcorn for sure :lol

buttsR4rebounding
05-01-2023, 08:50 AM
Some interesting observations: 1. Toronto was both the best drafting team and the luckiest. 2. Dallas was the 3rd most lucky, but still the 2nd worst drafting team. That's even with drafting LD. That makes the trade for Irving look better (LOL) as they were likely to screw up any draft choices anyway. 3. If you look at the Spurs for since 2019 they drop to a below average drafting team with a negative score. That jives with the eye test--passing on Haliburton and Sengun.

exstatic
05-01-2023, 08:54 AM
Some interesting observations: 1. Toronto was both the best drafting team and the luckiest. 2. Dallas was the 3rd most lucky, but still the 2nd worst drafting team. That's even with drafting LD. That makes the trade for Irving look better (LOL) as they were likely to screw up any draft choices anyway. 3. If you look at the Spurs for since 2019 they drop to a below average drafting team with a negative score. That jives with the eye test--passing on Haliburton and Sengun.

That's not what dropped us. It was Lonnie, Sammich, and Primo.

Ariel
05-01-2023, 01:11 PM
I don't fault the Spurs for Lonnie, outside of the lottery that '18 draft just wasn't very good, only a few decent prospects left: Huerter, Robert Williams, Jalen Brunson, Mitch.ell Robinson, Gary Trent Junior, Jarred Vanderbilt. Other than Jalen Brunson (who wasn't expected to translate as well as he did, plus a crowded guard rotation) they're all role players, and on paper Lonnie had the higher upside.
In 2019 we took Samanich with Thybulle, Brandon Clarke, Grant Williams, Jordan Poole (thought to be a reach at 28 at the time), Keldon Johnson, Nick Claxton, Talen Horton Tucker, Terance Mann, Jalen McDaniels still on the board, but again, the only one that shouldn't have been passed over was Keldon (who we ended up getting later on anyways), the rest may be better now but it wasn't a lock back then and even so aren't all that special to begin with. So it wasn't an especially bad or costly miss.
In 2020 we took Vassell with Haliburton, Desmond Bane, Tyrese Maxey, Jaden McDaniels still on the board. The one obvious miss was Haliburton (duh) but we already had Dejounte & Derrick White, and Vassell was supposed to be the 2 guard / wing with the better fit / upside combo, so it's still a mistake but an understandable one. Also we picked up Tre Jones at 41, which was great value as (at least) a very good backup PG.
Then we come to 2021, where we took Primo over Sengun, Trey Murphy, Herb Jones. This one stings the most, because even if doesn't come at a huge cost (I like Sengun, but I don't see him as a future All NBA guy, though maybe an occasional all star like Vucevic was), it was the most predictable of the bunch. In hindsight though, I might take Trey Murphy, who won't be a star but he's a perfect 3&D guy for a winning team.
The 2022 draft went perfect as far as I'm concerned, we came away with the exact same guys I wanted, only player I'd really like to have landed (in hindsight, not at the time) is Walker Kessler.
All things considered we didn't make many home runs (Keldon was good but doesn't qualify as such) but no blunders either (unless you think Sengun will become All NBA at some point). I'd give the FO a B/B+ when it comes to drafting in the past few years (an A should include a star or borderline with a lower pick, like Jokic at 41, Bane at 30, Brunson at 35, etc).
This upcoming draft is the one with the highest risks, when you pick that high any mistake comes at a huge cost, so let's hope luck smiles at us, and we don't drop the ball, otherwise it's going to haunt us for years and years.

scott
05-01-2023, 09:25 PM
I don't fault the Spurs for Lonnie, outside of the lottery that '18 draft just wasn't very good, only a few decent prospects left: Huerter, Robert Williams, Jalen Brunson, Mitch.ell Robinson, Gary Trent Junior, Jarred Vanderbilt. Other than Jalen Brunson (who wasn't expected to translate as well as he did, plus a crowded guard rotation) they're all role players, and on paper Lonnie had the higher upside.
In 2019 we took Samanich with Thybulle, Brandon Clarke, Grant Williams, Jordan Poole (thought to be a reach at 28 at the time), Keldon Johnson, Nick Claxton, Talen Horton Tucker, Terance Mann, Jalen McDaniels still on the board, but again, the only one that shouldn't have been passed over was Keldon (who we ended up getting later on anyways), the rest may be better now but it wasn't a lock back then and even so aren't all that special to begin with. So it wasn't an especially bad or costly miss.
In 2020 we took Vassell with Haliburton, Desmond Bane, Tyrese Maxey, Jaden McDaniels still on the board. The one obvious miss was Haliburton (duh) but we already had Dejounte & Derrick White, and Vassell was supposed to be the 2 guard / wing with the better fit / upside combo, so it's still a mistake but an understandable one. Also we picked up Tre Jones at 41, which was great value as (at least) a very good backup PG.
Then we come to 2021, where we took Primo over Sengun, Trey Murphy, Herb Jones. This one stings the most, because even if doesn't come at a huge cost (I like Sengun, but I don't see him as a future All NBA guy, though maybe an occasional all star like Vucevic was), it was the most predictable of the bunch. In hindsight though, I might take Trey Murphy, who won't be a star but he's a perfect 3&D guy for a winning team.
The 2022 draft went perfect as far as I'm concerned, we came away with the exact same guys I wanted, only player I'd really like to have landed (in hindsight, not at the time) is Walker Kessler.
All things considered we didn't make many home runs (Keldon was good but doesn't qualify as such) but no blunders either (unless you think Sengun will become All NBA at some point). I'd give the FO a B/B+ when it comes to drafting in the past few years (an A should include a star or borderline with a lower pick, like Jokic at 41, Bane at 30, Brunson at 35, etc).
This upcoming draft is the one with the highest risks, when you pick that high any mistake comes at a huge cost, so let's hope luck smiles at us, and we don't drop the ball, otherwise it's going to haunt us for years and years.

I remember Duarte, Sengun and Garuba being guys frequently talked about here. Duarte had a nice rookie year but took a step back in year 2, was he hurt? I don't follow the Pacers so that surprised me to see in the stats. The Haliburton/Mathurin effect?. Garuba looks destine to be a career bench warmer.

I'm with you on Sengun. Don't lose any sleep over missing that pick.

scott
05-01-2023, 10:16 PM
DLo
BI
Julius Randle

Each made an All Star team AFTER the Lakers sent them packing. They draft well, but don’t build well.

Interestingly, those aren't the picks that rates the Lakers as a good drafting team. In this methodology, picks are rated -1.0 (terrible) to 1.0 (excellent) with a 0 being average

DLo gets a 0.36 or "Good" rating
Ingram is 0.1 or "Average"
Randle os 0.57 or "Good"

The Lakers best picks by this methodology were

Jordan Clarkson - perfect 1.0 rating
Larry Nance - 0.9
Ivica Zubac - 0.86
Josh Hart - 0.99

Getting value from later picks really boosts you up in this methodology.

For the extended 2009-2021 range, the Lakers have 4 excellent picks, 8 good, 13 average, 2 bad and 0 terrible picks.

By comparison, the Spurs have 6 excellent picks (Nephew, Bertans, DJM, Derrick, Keldon, Tre Jones), 5 Good (including three borderline excellent picks in Kyle Anderson at 0.86, Metu at 0.87 and Eubanks at 0.89*), 13 average, 6 bad and 0 terrible. Lonnie is actually rated the Spurs worst draft pick at -0.69, Luka and Primo are the 2nd and 3rd worst.

Here are the most terrible picks, starting with the absolute worst:

Anthony Bennett - CLE #1 overall
Marvin Bagley III - SAC #2 overall
Patrick Williams - CHI #4 overall
Jalen Green - HOU #2 overall
Ekpe Udoh - GSW #6 overall
Sekou Doumbouya - DET #15 overall
Kevin Knox II - NYK #9 overall
Ben McLemore - SAC #7 overall
James Wiseman - GSW #2 overall

*This methodology includes undrafted rookies, which does skew things a little bit.

TD 21
05-01-2023, 11:06 PM
'14 Clarkson 46th (by Wizards; acquired rights during draft)
'15 Nance Jr. 27th
'16 Zubac 32nd
'17 Kuzma 27th (by Nets; acquired rights during draft) and Hart 30th (by Jazz; acquired rights during draft)
'18 Wagner 25th and Mykhailiuk 47th

Is a ridiculous run by the Lakers that'd be incessantly slobbered over if it were the Warriors or Craptors.

buttsR4rebounding
05-03-2023, 03:47 AM

No. If you move the dates to 2019 to 2021 that’s when we drop. Lonnie and Luka were not drafted during that time period. Only Primo which was the pass on Sengun.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 06:03 AM
No. If you move the dates to 2019 to 2021 that’s when we drop. Lonnie and Luka were not drafted during that time period. Only Primo which was the pass on Sengun.

Luka was drafted in 2019.

scott
05-04-2023, 01:46 AM

Lonnie is our worst rated draft pick since 2009 per that methodology, so that’s when we started dropping in the rankings.