PDA

View Full Version : Budenholzer lost his brother during the first round series.

toki9
04-29-2023, 07:02 AM
Off topic but I thought Spurs fans might be interested.

From The Athletic’s Joe Vardon:

“Darvin Ham, coach of the Lakers and a former assistant under Budenholzer in both Milwaukee and Atlanta, said Friday before his team’s playoff game against the Grizzlies that Budenholzer’s brother died.
“Coach Bud is going through a lot on a personal level,” Ham said, when asked about Milwaukee star Giannis Antetokounmpo’s reaction to losing the series. “He just lost his brother, so, my apologies Bud if I wasn’t supposed to let anybody know. He and I’ve been texting. I love those guys.”
Through a spokesman, Budenholzer told The Athletic he loves and respects Ham and was comfortable confirming what Ham had told reporters.”

Apparently the brother passed away from car accident injuries just before game 4.

Chinook
04-29-2023, 08:34 AM
Obviously that's bigger than a game, even than a career. It explains why his focus wasn't necessarily on point. Maybe he should've stepped away ala Pop in 2018. Maybe he needed the game as a bit of a distraction. Can't change it now. Just gotta hope Bud and the rest of his family can move forward.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-29-2023, 08:45 AM
Obviously that's bigger than a game, even than a career. It explains why his focus wasn't necessarily on point. Maybe he should've stepped away ala Pop in 2018. Maybe he needed the game as a bit of a distraction. Can't change it now. Just gotta hope Bud and the rest of his family can move forward.

Yeah people show their grief in different ways, sometimes it’s the ‘they would have wanted me to continue doing what I do’ coping mechanism but there should have been someone around to give him a better advice.

Anyway, like you said, this is way bigger than putting a ball in a hoop. Let’s hope no one will come in this thread trying to show how cool they are by dunking on Bud’s coaching.

Harry Callahan
04-29-2023, 08:48 AM
That is a terrible situation for the Budenholzer family. Very sad....

Spursfanfromafar
04-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Condolences to coach Bud.

If Coach Bud decides to leave Milwaukee, the Spurs should just bring him back to assist Pop before Bud takes over with Brett Brown as associate coach. That would be a great way to set up the Spurs future. But fingers crossed, we need lottery luck.

Ariel
04-29-2023, 12:17 PM

If Coach Bud decides to leave Milwaukee, the Spurs should just bring him back to assist Pop before Bud takes over with Brett Brown as associate coach. That would be a great way to set up the Spurs future. But fingers crossed, we need lottery luck.
I was thinking the exact same thing. This sounds like the most reasonable scenario IMO.

spurs10
04-29-2023, 12:50 PM
Sorry to hear this tragic news. Best to Bud and his family.

Ignazzz
04-29-2023, 01:19 PM

terrible news. Very sad.
but … no thank You for Bud as Head coach. Too many bad in game decisions in the past.

ginobilized
04-29-2023, 02:11 PM
That's a tough loss at any time. Sorry for coach Bud.
He's a great guy and a helluva coach.

MultiTroll
04-29-2023, 02:39 PM
Terrible. Unreal how many car crashes there are and yet it's an acceptable thing in modern society.
DUI laws are a joke too.

On the bb side, this is where strong management and ownership needs to step in. Players and coaches will almost never take themselves out of a game.

daslicer
04-29-2023, 04:07 PM
Terrible. Unreal how many car crashes there are and yet it's an acceptable thing in modern society.
DUI laws are a joke too.

On the bb side, this is where strong management and ownership needs to step in. Players and coaches will almost never take themselves out of a game.

Agreed I don't think he was in the best state of mind to be coaching after the tragedy had just happened. I think it did affect him there was a moment towards the end of the 4th quarter in which Bucks had only .5 seconds left on the clock and Bud could have called a timeout, but he didn't. I wondered why he didn't but I think this situation explains it. I won't blame him for not taking time off like Pop did in 2018. It's like what you said ownership and management should have stepped in and allowed him to grieve.