PDA

View Full Version : Ben Simmons Anyone?

pineflatt
04-30-2023, 02:23 PM
I think we will all agree that this guy is a shell of his former self. It could be from an injury, a loss of confidence, loss of skill, Psychological issues such as depression or anxiety, ect. I also believe he is done in Brooklyn and the Nets will be looking for a trade partner to help them out of that problem. The Spurs have a very good record of rehabbing players whose career has gone off the rails, Diaw and Stephen Jackson are examples. Why shouldn't the Spurs use some of their cap space this summer on a medium risk/possible high reward trade. We could send Brooklyn any combination of McDermott, Graham, Birch, Bates-Diop, Langford that works for Ben Simmons. It would help Brooklyn get on with their rebuild and provide the Spurs, at minimum, a serviceable future player. Really good free agents are in short supply this summer and I believe Simmons will improve while with the Spurs. He would not need to return to All-star for the Spurs to be able to move him for quality assets in the future, if they want to. Comments

baseline bum
04-30-2023, 02:38 PM
Simmons career is over. No thanks. I wouldn't trade Steve Smith for him.

Mr. Body
04-30-2023, 02:58 PM
Sean Marks would give the entire fanbase a blowjob if he could get rid of Ben Simmons.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-30-2023, 03:05 PM
lol no

Current Spurs roster is quite bad, there aren’t too many players in the NBA that wouldn’t improve it. Simmons is one of them.

offset formation
04-30-2023, 03:10 PM
and provide the Spurs, at minimum, a serviceable future player.

I think this is a highly debatable supposition which is why I wouldn't even consider this unless I was keen on tanking again.

The odds of him ever again being a serviceable starter are poor based on this year's play.

Ariel
04-30-2023, 03:47 PM
Yes please!

and by that, I mean HELL NO!

PS: Say no to drugs

Leetonidas
04-30-2023, 03:52 PM
Fuck no

Dex
04-30-2023, 04:06 PM
This post should be a bannable offense, tbh

JPB
04-30-2023, 05:17 PM
So he can show Wemby what not to do not to ruin your career.

MultiTroll
04-30-2023, 05:59 PM
NBA: Would you immediately trade or cut a player verified dating a Kardashian? - Page 2 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273398&page=2&highlight=Kardashian)

Maddog
04-30-2023, 06:43 PM
Simmons career is over. No thanks. I wouldn't trade Steve Smith for him.

Definitely wouldn't trade for him.
Is his career over? Interesting question. There's definitely no reason to think he'll turn it around. His competitive drive was questioned even in college. He'll be 27 coming off two injuries, sub .600 FT % that has never shown any inclination of improvement.

baseline bum
04-30-2023, 07:05 PM
Definitely wouldn't trade for him.
Is his career over? Interesting question. There's definitely no reason to think he'll turn it around. His competitive drive was questioned even in college. He'll be 27 coming off two injuries, sub .600 FT % that has never shown any inclination of improvement.

Only way I'd trade for him is if Brooklyn was offering a top 5 pick this year or if they attached Bridges. Then just buy Simmons out.

cd98
04-30-2023, 07:24 PM
Well if we are in tank mode, he’d be perfect.

Confidence is a big deal in pro sports. He has a ton of all around talent, but he’s got no confidence.

If he were to turn things around, it would be better to do it on a team with low expectations. That way there is no pressure on him to be a big time contributor. But he makes too much money and he’s injured a lot.

ambchang
04-30-2023, 07:34 PM
I think there’s still talent in him but his mind is so messed up it wouldn’t be worth it. Playing him crazy money to sit on the bench also sends a horrible message to the young players, morale would be awful.

If you guys thought nephew sitting out the year was bad for team chemistry, Simmons would make it so much worse.

mo7888
04-30-2023, 07:56 PM
Only way I'd trade for him is if Brooklyn was offering a top 5 pick this year or if they attached Bridges. Then just buy Simmons out.

I agree with this... I've been thinking about what it'd take to take on Simmons... attaching Bridges would do it...

Dex
04-30-2023, 08:39 PM
Well if we are in tank mode, he’d be perfect.

Confidence is a big deal in pro sports. He has a ton of all around talent, but he’s got no confidence.

If he were to turn things around, it would be better to do it on a team with low expectations. That way there is no pressure on him to be a big time contributor. But he makes too much money and he’s injured a lot.

And he's the "young socialite"

If he was sent to San Antonio, he would probably demand a trade before he even set foot on a plane.

talkspurs
04-30-2023, 09:47 PM
only way I would do it is if we were getting back 2 first from them. If Nets are willing to pay enough then yes but if not let them hold onto his contract. He also helps up reach the floor for this year which will be needed but we can also sign someone to a one year deal for that. Someone else said Bridges and I would do that too but doubt that would send him out just to shed his salary.

mookie2001
04-30-2023, 10:15 PM
Even if this guy wasn't mentally retired, it's not about talent or production, it's the money we'd have to pay him. Not happening

Dverde
04-30-2023, 10:23 PM
Yes

exstatic
04-30-2023, 10:33 PM
Even if this guy wasn't mentally retired, it's not about talent or production, it's the money we'd have to pay him. Not happening

It’s the vagina attitude. Been there, done that. We can afford the money with mostly rookie deals on the cap. Don’t need a more expensive nephew.

Mr. Body
04-30-2023, 10:49 PM
Ben Simmons was lazy as fuck at LSU. He hated putting in the work. He couldn't even get them into the tournament. The signs and red flags were fucking enormous already.

barakz21
05-01-2023, 01:30 AM
Ben Simmons was lazy as fuck at LSU. He hated putting in the work. He couldn't even get them into the tournament. The signs and red flags were fucking enormous already.

Interesting. Got me thinking, were there ever any college players who couldn’t lead their teams to the NCAA tournament but went on to become All-star to HOF type players?

buttsR4rebounding
05-01-2023, 08:01 AM
Interesting. Got me thinking, were there ever any college players who couldn’t lead their teams to the NCAA tournament but went on to become All-star to HOF type players?

Another LSU alumni, Pete Maravich never made it to the the NCAA tournament. They did win the NIT in 1970. Of course only 25 teams were in the NCAA tournament then and LSU had a record of 22-10, but he does fit your criteria.

John B
05-01-2023, 08:14 AM
Spurs already have a point-forward in Sochan.

99 Problems
05-01-2023, 08:37 AM
With sadness it’s a no from me.

barakz21
05-01-2023, 09:43 AM
Another LSU alumni, Pete Maravich never made it to the the NCAA tournament. They did win the NIT in 1970. Of course only 25 teams were in the NCAA tournament then and LSU had a record of 22-10, but he does fit your criteria.

I see, so there’s only been one “top” college player in the league who never led his team to the NCAA tourney and managed to have an All star career or better.

exstatic
05-01-2023, 10:02 AM
I see, so there’s only been one “top” college player in the league who never led his team to the NCAA tourney and managed to have an All star career or better.

Are you implying that Maravich wasn't a top college player, because if so, you're wrong.

spurraider21
05-01-2023, 11:34 AM
nah. i was still intrigued when he was in philly. he's clearly done

couchman
05-01-2023, 11:41 AM
He’s so broken now. I suspect his career is over the second his contract ends in 2025

exstatic
05-01-2023, 11:42 AM
He’s so broken now. I suspect his career is over the second his contract ends in 2025

He has issues of the mental kind.

ginobilized
05-01-2023, 12:01 PM
Simmons could learn a lot from Sochan, but, hell no!

Bill_Brasky
05-01-2023, 12:14 PM
He's a steaming pile of dogshit on the worst contract in the league. I can't think of anything further from a Spurs move.

lmbebo
05-01-2023, 12:21 PM
If the draft goes horrible and Nets attach multiple unprotected 1st round picks I'd consider it.

Excessive Egotist
05-01-2023, 12:27 PM
I agree with everyone's assessment of Simmons the (current player). But I'd consider taking on his contract for not less the 2 FRPs. Two FRPs and a sweetener would be ideal. We could use a large contract on the books with new CBA. We might need a large contract to swap later. We need to continue to stockpile picks. And if Simmons has any hopes of recovering his career, San Antonio is perhaps the best place for him to do it.

Against the above is the negative to taking him is providing him with minutes that should instead go to recent or future picks.

baseline bum
05-01-2023, 01:00 PM
If the draft goes horrible and Nets attach multiple unprotected 1st round picks I'd consider it.

It's Bridges or nothing IMO. That contract is as toxic as contracts get.

barakz21
05-01-2023, 01:40 PM
Are you implying that Maravich wasn't a top college player, because if so, you're wrong.

No, I didn’t say Pistol Pete wasn’t. I just used the quotation to lump top collegiate players i.e productive though not necessarily successful, successful AND productive. Idk if that makes sense to you, I may not accurately trying to convey what I’m trying to say (English being my second language).

Ocotillo
05-01-2023, 02:29 PM
I was going to wisecrack about how this board would react if the Spurs used their first pick as Philly did and took a Ben Simmons. The horror!

Looking back to see when he was drafted I looked at what the tanking Sixers did:

2013 - Nerlens Noel picked at 6
2014 - Joel Embid picked at 3
2015 - Jahlil Okafor picked at 3
2016 - Simmons picked at 1

At least they ended up with Embid (Milwaukee took Jabari Parker just ahead of them) but man, that's a lot of tanking and pain for 1 great pick out of 4 attempts and if Milwaukee had taken Embid instead, they would have really been screwed.

exstatic
05-01-2023, 02:36 PM
I was going to wisecrack about how this board would react if the Spurs used their first pick as Philly did and took a Ben Simmons. The horror!

Looking back to see when he was drafted I looked at what the tanking Sixers did:

At least they ended up with Embid (Milwaukee took Jabari Parker just ahead of them) but man, that's a lot of tanking and pain for 1 great pick out of 4 attempts and if Milwaukee had taken Embid instead, they would have really been screwed.

This is why you don't tank long term. None of those were seen as particularly bad picks when selected. You also stopped too soon. Markelle Fultz was their other #1 overall in 2017.

Maddog
05-01-2023, 02:51 PM

2017 - Markelle Fultz at 1

The Truth #6
05-01-2023, 02:55 PM
Any opinions why Cam Whitmore didn’t make it to the tournament?

Mr. Body
05-01-2023, 03:12 PM

Wasn't that when the NIT was ranked higher than the NCAAT?

Drom John
05-01-2023, 03:18 PM
2023 All-Stars that did not take their teams to the NCAA tournament.
Anthony Edwards
Paul George (2 years)
Damian Lillard (4 years)

Mr. Body
05-01-2023, 03:21 PM
Any opinions why Cam Whitmore didn’t make it to the tournament?

Villanova was pretty bad and he wasn't good enough to elevate them.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-01-2023, 03:39 PM
:lol @ the idea of trading anyone for Ben Simmons.

spurraider21
05-01-2023, 04:34 PM
This is why you don't tank long term. None of those were seen as particularly bad picks when selected. You also stopped too soon. Markelle Fultz was their other #1 overall in 2017.
it actually is why you tank long term. getting one great pick doesnt guarantee star return. you want more swings until you get your guy

exstatic
05-01-2023, 04:36 PM
it actually is why you tank long term. getting one great pick doesnt guarantee star return. you want more swings until you get your guy

And where has Embiid taken them? You burn your fucking franchise down for half a decade for one trip to the ECF?

scott
05-01-2023, 06:42 PM
I assumed this was a thread from two summers ago.

Still remembering people on this website wanting to give up DJM + multiple 1st rounders for Ben :lol

Exhibit #3829381290 of why this website should be used for entertainment purposes only

buttsR4rebounding
05-01-2023, 07:21 PM
Wasn't that when the NIT was ranked higher than the NCAAT?

No. This was right in the middle of the great UCLA dynasty.

Mr. Body
05-01-2023, 08:01 PM
No. This was right in the middle of the great UCLA dynasty.

As late as the 1970s the NIT and NCAAT were still somewhat rivals and teams were still picking the NIT instead. As the decade went on and leading into the Bird Magic game, the nationwide attention for the NCAAT was cementing itself. Maravich winning the NIT was still pretty important.

TD 21
05-01-2023, 10:53 PM
I assumed this was a thread from two summers ago.

Still remembering people on this website wanting to give up DJM + multiple 1st rounders for Ben :lol

Exhibit #3829381290 of why this website should be used for entertainment purposes only

:lmao Results without context. As if it were possible to predict Simmons having a combination of mental health and back issues.

Granted, I was never a fan nor wanted him, I was merely playing devil's advocate because I thought the Spurs would never re-build (at least as long as Pop was still active), so I figured for a then reasonable price, he could makes sense for what they appeared to be trying to do.

bdictjames
05-01-2023, 11:22 PM
Simmons is probably on the bottom quarter percentile of the league, as far as talent. He didn't have a lot of skill when he was athletic; take away the athleticism with his injury, he's pretty much a handball player who cannot shoot. He needs to make a Kobe-like mental attitude to change.

exstatic
05-02-2023, 06:28 AM
Simmons is probably on the bottom quarter percentile of the league, as far as talent. He didn't have a lot of skill when he was athletic; take away the athleticism with his injury, he's pretty much a handball player who cannot shoot. He needs to make a Kobe-like mental attitude to change.

1. I’ve done a 180 since his mental problems have manifested, and no longer want him on the Spurs. He’s broken.

2. To say that he is a bottom quartile NBA talent is the worst kind of claptrap. He’s a wizard with the ball in his hands, a preternatural ball handler and passer, world class. He’s a world class defender. He can literally do everything on an NBA court but shoot.

Drom John
05-02-2023, 09:20 AM
As late as the 1970s the NIT and NCAAT were still somewhat rivals and teams were still picking the NIT instead. As the decade went on and leading into the Bird Magic game, the nationwide attention for the NCAAT was cementing itself. Maravich winning the NIT was still pretty important.

The big break was 1974, when the 4th ranked Maryland (which had just lost the ACC championship to N.C. State in OT, in what many have called the greatest NCAA game), declined the invitation to the NIT. The NCAA's were a 16-team tournament, and only conference champions and independents were allowed.
Marquette was the last team to choose the NIT over the NCAA tournament in 1970. In 1974, Marquette switched to the NCAA's, losing to N.C. State in the finals.

Drom John
05-02-2023, 09:36 AM
Followup on 1974, NBA players

1) N.C. State: Tom Burleson, Monte Towe, David Thomposn (and MLB pitcher Tim Stoddard)
2) UCLA: Ralph Drollinger, Marques Johnson, Greg Lee, Andre McCarter, Dave Meyers, Bill Walton, Richard Washington, Jamaal Wilkes
3) N.D.: Gary Brokaw, Adrian Dantley, Toby Knight, John Shumate
4) Maryland: Len Elmore, John Lucas, Tom McMillan
5) Marquette: Bo Ellis, Maurice Lucas, Earl Tatum, Lloyd Walton

talkspurs
05-02-2023, 07:20 PM
I am going to say something that I think a lot will disagree with. Ben Simmons has not gotten much worse. he just was never very good. He had the hype and that is why people thought he was good. He also got solid playing time. He was never very good. Got his accolades off of his name and hype not off of actually doing anything.