PDA

View Full Version : Scoot Henderson - 2023 NBA Draft Prospect

timvp
05-01-2023, 05:02 PM
Scoot Henderson
https://i.imgur.com/rVF1BmA.jpg

Full Scouting Report (https://www.spurstalk.com/scoot-henderson-san-antonio-spurs-2023-nba-draft/)

Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 195 pounds
College: G League Ignite
Position: PG
Draft Range: 2-4

Spurs Comparison: Tony Parker plus athleticism minus basketball IQ

Strengths: Powerful athleticism, finishing potential, playmaking variety, relentlessness

Weaknesses: Three-point shooting, decision-making, lack of defensive switchability

Full Scouting Report (https://www.spurstalk.com/scoot-henderson-san-antonio-spurs-2023-nba-draft/)

Mpo67i0zwBo

Dejounte
05-01-2023, 05:11 PM
We’re far apart on the IQ— I think he’s got boat loads.

ex, do we make the bet before or after the lottery? My bad, man.

exstatic
05-01-2023, 05:16 PM
We’re far apart on the IQ— I think he’s got boat loads.

ex, do we make the bet before or after the lottery? My bad, man.

It has to be after. Kind of moot if we're picking 5th. We can circle back here after the lottery and lock down the details. Someone pointed out that in the previous discussion there were scenarios where neither of us won.

Mr. Body
05-01-2023, 05:25 PM
I don't understand why we keep thinking that athleticism is only jumping. Tony Parker was an incredible athlete. He was one of the fastest players of his era.

Dejounte
05-01-2023, 05:26 PM
https://youtu.be/klRerqbGJ1I

https://youtu.be/saNWQYERQDQ

duncan2150
05-01-2023, 05:33 PM
that wingspan is impressive, that kill the idea of a 6'2 guard without a lot of other physical attributes other than athletism.

offset formation
05-01-2023, 05:44 PM
Do not want. Ball heavy guards that don't shoot the 3 well are a hindrance to ball movement such that what juice they bring isn't worth the squeeze. He's a subpar 3pt shooter (less than 30%) and MAYBE an average assist guy (~7apg).

I understand hes young but even projecting him out, his shortcomings elsewhere aren't worth the easy buckets he gets you. Add in the defensive ineptitude and he's simply not gonna be worthy of an overall #2. I'd much rather have Bilal. Or even Miller.

Russ
05-01-2023, 05:51 PM
He reminds me more of Westbrook than Parker. Athletic, physical, finishes great in the open, can't shoot.

He might be the best option at 2 or 3 but I'm hoping that will be mooted soon. :)

TD 21
05-01-2023, 05:56 PM
His archetype (Francis, Davis, Rose, Westbrook, Wall, Fox, Morant) yields a high probably of being at least All-Star caliber but also inherent limitations that makes it at minimum extremely difficult (impossible?) to win with at the highest level.

Still, he'd be a no brainer at 2 and if the Pistons get 2 and they're at 3, they should be putting on a full court press.

offset formation
05-01-2023, 05:59 PM
His archetype (Francis, Davis, Rose, Westbrook, Wall, Fox, Morant) yields a high probably of being at least All-Star caliber but also inherent limitations that makes it at minimum extremely difficult (impossible?) to win with at the highest level.

Still, he'd be a no brainer at 2 and if the Pistons get 2 and they're at 3, they should be putting on a full court press.

How many LOBs amongst all those 7? I agree with your comparison just not your conclusion to then ultimately draft him. In fact I think you inadvertently made the case NOT to draft him.

tonight...you
05-01-2023, 06:02 PM
How many LOBs amongst all those 7? I agree with your comparison just not your conclusion to then ultimately draft him. In fact I think you inadvertently made the case NOT to draft him.
I'm thinking, with a Draft like this coming up and while those detriments may be very real, he could be turned into a very valuable trade piece in the next few years as they build, if nothing else.

Mr. Body
05-01-2023, 06:03 PM
I'm way higher on Henderson than I am Miller and the Thompson twins. I appreciate his maturity and competitiveness. Really good signs.

What worries me about him:

- He's actually a very poor defender, glossed over in this analysis. Can he get better?
- He's very inefficient
- He's high usage

And, admittedly it's from highlights, but all I ever see is him driving. Can he facilitate an offense other than just trying to get into the defense and kicking out? Because, even with his strength, that's not going to work as much.

My big question is whether he has to be ball-dominant to be effective. Does he have to control the ball with his 30% usage rate? Or can he scale down and still be good? Right now, I don't expect him to deserve the ball in his hands that much, not with his efficiency problems.

Anyway, I'm higher on him than the other guys in his range, but I don't know if he can play off-ball in any fashion at all. Which means you may be stuck hoping he's actually your guard of the future, or if he's a Bradley Beale type who will just feed you into perpetual mediocrity.

TD 21
05-01-2023, 06:04 PM

As ever, context is everything.

There's very few players that can be the best and/or go-to player on a championship caliber team, so if that's the criteria, 99%+ are out.

Miller, for example, is a more malleable type, but probably not a centerpiece player and no team needs that like this one does.

So even if the ultimate ceiling of a Henderson led team is good but not good enough, as I said that goes for 99+% anyway.

Ariel
05-01-2023, 06:04 PM
Scoot Henderson Thinks He Should Go Number One (https://www.gq.com/story/scoot-henderson-nba-draft-profile)

I tell Henderson the draft experts have him at either #2 or #3 behind the ascending Miller of the University of Alabama and Wembanyama. “Yeah, I think I should go one,” Henderson says. “I know I’m gonna go one.” Does going first overall really matter? “Yes. Of course.” He gets stern as he answers, a bit confused I’d even ask. “Who doesn’t want to go one?”

I ask if he’ll be okay with it if he does actually fall to #3 on draft night. “Nah,” he says. “It’s not acceptable.”
He might have problems getting through the door with that ego.

He reads (“The Secret, The Four Agreements, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success”)
:lol

When I ask Jeter how tall Scoot is, he tells me: “He’s 6-monster. The boy can jump. He’s explosive. He’s getting that leadership in him. It’s about how big that heart is. Heart over height. Always.” Jeter sees Henderson’s closest comp as Duke-era Jay Williams, who went second overall before his career was derailed by a motorcycle crash. Jeter also mentions Eric Bledsoe’s name
Translation: he's probably 6'0" or 6'1"

All in all, I'd take Scoot at #2 or #3, but if a trade down gets us one top 6 pick plus another good prospect / lottery pick that allows us to pick one (say Cam Whitmore or Taylor Hendricks + Anthony Black or something along those lines) then I'd really consider it.

offset formation
05-01-2023, 06:31 PM
As ever, context is everything.

There's very few players that can be the best and/or go-to player on a championship caliber team, so if that's the criteria, 99%+ are out.

Miller, for example, is a more malleable type, but probably not a centerpiece player and no team needs that like this one does.

So even if the ultimate ceiling of a Henderson led team is good but not good enough, as I said that goes for 99+% anyway.

I think the thing to remember with who we take is what kind of team can SA build. It's historically NOT one through free agency. Which is the genius of Pop is that he recognized he needed to build a team of unselfish team ball types. So drafting Scoot seems antithetical to achieving success given he's a ball heavy guard. Yes, Miller is more malleable and does fit that role player mode better. Plus I could see a player like Miller sticking around. Scoots got that I'm gonna be a Laker or in Miami vibe about him.

Again though, after delving into Bilal Coulibaly's film, that's my #2 ALL DAY. Kid is just starting to show the world his game.

TD 21
05-01-2023, 06:43 PM
All in all, I'd take Scoot at #2 or #3, but if a trade down gets us one top 6 pick plus another good prospect / lottery pick that allows us to pick one (say Cam Whitmore or Taylor Hendricks + Anthony Black or something along those lines) then I'd really consider it.

Makes no sense to consider trading a projected centerpiece for decent starters to good backups.

I think the thing to remember with who we take is what kind of team can SA build. It's historically NOT one through free agency. Which is the genius of Pop is that he recognized he needed to build a team of unselfish team ball types. So drafting Scoot seems antithetical to achieving success given he's a ball heavy guard. Yes, Miller is more malleable and does fit that role player mode better. Plus I could see a player like Miller sticking around. Scoots got that I'm gonna be a Laker or in Miami vibe about him.

Again though, after delving into Bilal Coulibaly's film, that's my #2 ALL DAY. Kid is just starting to show the world his game.

Pop lucked into a cadre of uncommonly unselfish superstars and stars to set the "culture" and "system" (for a time) that virtually any executive/coach would prefer.

Don't forget though, for much of Duncan's prime, the Spurs were very much an ISO team and in the brief Scumbag-Aldridge era, reverted to being one.

The reality is, most successful NBA teams are built around a heliocentric(s) players and thinking they're going to recreate some form of the "beautiful game" is fools gold.

I also wouldn't be concerned with Henderson fitting in since that issue likely wouldn't come to the forefront until midway during his second contract.

Mr. Body
05-01-2023, 06:55 PM
Makes no sense to consider trading a projected centerpiece for decent starters to good backups.

Does your team consider him a projected centerpiece? Or do other teams and you don't? In that case, you trade him for a package.

playblair
05-01-2023, 07:01 PM
timvp do u still not watch college basketball

JPB
05-01-2023, 07:25 PM
Scoot Henderson Thinks He Should Go Number One (https://www.gq.com/story/scoot-henderson-nba-draft-profile)

He might have problems getting through the door with that ego.

:lol

Translation: he's probably 6'0" or 6'1"

Proof the ITV posted a couple of months here was pure PR stuff from his agents.. This is the real Scoot, and I hope spurs don't pick him, which I believe they won't.

MultiTroll
05-01-2023, 07:33 PM
Channel all energy into the Spurs acquiring Wama and a return to dignity and victories.

Dejounte
05-01-2023, 07:44 PM
Proof the ITV posted a couple of months here was pure PR stuff from his agents.. This is the real Scoot, and I hope spurs don't pick him, which I believe they won't.

This is soooo overstated. During the season, I believe it was the first game against Orlando— Jeremy Sochan was quoted as saying he wants to show everyone why he should have been picked number 1 in the draft over Banchero. Guess he’s a terrible person for saying that.

Ariel
05-01-2023, 08:45 PM
That's an indisputably sound conclusion, if you agree on the PREMISES. Obviously I do not.

For the record, I have no doubt Scoot will be at least an above average point guard, I do buy his court vision and willingness to involve his teammates (not because he doesn't have an ego, but rather because he buys it's aligned with his own goals), and he clearly is a pretty good athlete. However, unless you're a monster getting to the rim and finishing (like Derrick Rose) or a very good shooter beyond (like Chris Paul, who's also a savant), chances you're a franchise's centerpiece at 6'1" or so are slim at best. Scoot is empirically a mediocre shooter from long range, and what worries me the most is that a lot of the time he settles for inefficient mid range jumpers against lesser talent. That doesn't scream NBA superstar to me. I do expect him to improve and it wouldn't suprise me to see him shoot above 34% eventually, but he has to be elite at either of those (if not BOTH) for him to achieve the kind of success that's being expected from him.

On the other hand, I think Cam Whitmore, Taylor Hendricks and Anthony Black have better positional size and are more versatile, and are good bets to eventually be quality starters on a contender at least, possibly more. So getting at least 2 shots at it sounds good to me, given I don't think Scoot is a lock to be a super star. May be, maybe not. But if no such deal is on the table, sure, I'll gladly take my chances with him.

scott
05-01-2023, 09:08 PM

Got no beef with this kind of confidence. The Spurs are hiring an NBA Player, not a Supply Chain Analyst. Give me these kind of guys.

More concerned about whether he can shoot a basketball.

KobesAchilles
05-01-2023, 09:14 PM
Eh I’d rather have Miller if we want to win a title. But I don’t think we are winning titles any time soon. You basically have to have a top 20 player all time to win a championship. Not always since there are outliers in the 04 pistons and 08 Celtics and 19 Raps. But for the most part.

But for playoffs then I want Scoot. He is the type of player to lead a team to the playoffs. And if we are lucky then the WCFs.

To expound on Miller I think he is the perfect malleable number 2 guy. His game will fit in with any franchise player. Or he could be a great 3 player like a Chris Bosh. But either way his game is very complimentary and suits more for a title if we ever do draft a franchise guy. While Scoot needs the ball in his hand to be effective.

td4mvp2k
05-01-2023, 09:54 PM
On the other hand, I think Cam Whitmore, Taylor Hendricks and Anthony Black have better positional size and are more versatile, and are good bets to eventually be quality starters on a contender at least, possibly more. So getting at least 2 shots at it sounds good to me, given I don't think Scoot is a lock to be a super star. May be, maybe not. But if no such deal is on the table, sure, I'll gladly take my chances with him.
could def see that. if spurs dont think henderson fits with what they see this team being long term they could def be in a great position to still add multiple great assets because of how good the talent is in the top half of this draft.

DPG21920
05-01-2023, 10:07 PM
Please let spurs land a top 2 pick.

offset formation
05-01-2023, 10:24 PM
Please let spurs land a top 2 pick.

Ideally #1, of course. Since there's not a concensus #2, I fear having the second pick could tear apart this fan base. One thing we've always been lucky with is who to draft when we've had that top option. Getting a #2 and having that CLEARLY prove out to be the wrong pick as a pick in the 3-6 range balls out would not be good for the franchise long term.

scott
05-01-2023, 10:42 PM
Ideally #1, of course. Since there's not a concensus #2, I fear having the second pick could tear apart this fan base. One thing we've always been lucky with is who to draft when we've had that top option. Getting a #2 and having that CLEARLY prove out to be the wrong pick as a pick in the 3-6 range balls out would not be good for the franchise long term.

Was thinking specifically about Marvin Bagley III when reading this, and wondered how that pick was graded at the time.

CBS Sports B-
The Ringer B
Sports Illustrated B
Yahoo B
Bleacher Report A-
SBNation B

Luka almost universally A to A+. So it can be argued that at the time it was well acknowledged that the Kings should have taken Luka instead. I don't remember this draft well because I guess I wasn't paying that close attention but my fear is that you have a bunch of guys rated similarly and then you take the one who busts at #2. (That doesn't appear to be the case with Bagley)

Mr. Body
05-01-2023, 10:48 PM
The #2 pick is also cursed.

spurraider21
05-01-2023, 10:55 PM
People overthinking Scoot at 2 tbh

wildbill2u
05-01-2023, 11:13 PM
How susceptible will a 6'2" player be to having shooting problems over taller players in the major league.?? Especially if his preferred shot is a mid range jumper that will bring him into the orbit of frontcourt players as well as guards????

offset formation
05-01-2023, 11:15 PM
People overthinking Scoot at 2 tbh

Or perhaps not group thinking

TD 21
05-01-2023, 11:15 PM
That's an indisputably sound conclusion, if you agree on the PREMISES. Obviously I do not.

For the record, I have no doubt Scoot will be at least an above average point guard, I do buy his court vision and willingness to involve his teammates (not because he doesn't have an ego, but rather because he buys it's aligned with his own goals), and he clearly is a pretty good athlete. However, unless you're a monster getting to the rim and finishing (like Derrick Rose) or a very good shooter beyond (like Chris Paul, who's also a savant), chances you're a franchise's centerpiece at 6'1" or so are slim at best. Scoot is empirically a mediocre shooter from long range, and what worries me the most is that a lot of the time he settles for inefficient mid range jumpers against lesser talent. That doesn't scream NBA superstar to me. I do expect him to improve and it wouldn't suprise me to see him shoot above 34% eventually, but he has to be elite at either of those (if not BOTH) for him to achieve the kind of success that's being expected from him.

I didn't say anything about being a superstar. Most centerpieces are not.

I'm talking Fox (All-Star caliber) or better. Athletic, explosive, score first, mid range reliant PG with mediocre efficiency.

It may not sound great considering the caliber of players who have often led this franchise in their history, but this is the last franchise that has any business so much as considering passing that up.

Mr. Body
05-01-2023, 11:17 PM
Eh I’d rather have Miller if we want to win a title.

How is Miller going to help win a title?

0-5
5-17
3-19

Those are his shooting numbers for the tournament, games that mattered. I can see him being a good role-player, but how does he show any #1 option, superstar quality?

Mnky
05-02-2023, 01:38 AM
Really doesn't seem like some people have watched full games of Scoot. Scoot definitely has good bball IQ for his age.
Tony parker minus IQ is wild considering Parkers gameplan was to just sprint to the goal and pass it to Duncan if they stopped him. Parker was never really the PG, Manu was especially during crunch time because Parker didn't have that decision making down until late in his career.

Scoot is an awesome prospect. Franchise prospect without a doubt. He could flop like anyone but he has that Alpha mentality and can take control of a game.

I love hearing he thinks he should go No.1 just like I did when Sochan was saying similiar things. You cant be afraid to compete, you got to want it. These young guys just express it more these days. Manu and Duncan definitely felt they were as good as anyone and played like it. Scoot showed it when he competed against Wemby. He put on a show. I honestly think his game goes up a notch against tough competition. That's a great characteristic to have. He won't shy from the moment, and wants the ball in big moments. Spurs haven't had that since Kawhi.

His shot has to improve. No doubt about that. His mid range is good enough to run a system. PGs don't need to be great at 3 to run a system, just sufficient. Obviously his star power is capped there but I don't see anything getting in the way of that development. He gets better every year.

Last but not least, he has way better handles than given credit. As a teenager, he can already make superstar plays with the ball in his hands. Not consistently enough yet but there's no doubt about whether he can play at that high level or not.

He would fill the seats and be a good building centerpiece going forward. All you can ask for with lottery picks.

Dejounte
05-02-2023, 02:58 AM

Seriously, like, you’ve posted multiple times that you have done “zero research on prospects” this year yet here you are being the loudest poster about a player you have preconceived notions about but obviously have no clue. It’s quite silly, frankly, and reeks of someone trying to be edgy. …especially when you want to draft someone like Bilal in the lottery (or with our top pick? God, I hope not)

RobinsontoDuncan
05-02-2023, 05:51 AM
I think the Spurs are right to prefer Amen Thompson. That kid will be one of the top three athletes in the NBA the second he enters the league. And, unlike Scoot, he is a natural passer with supernatural vision. He also has more defensive versatility and more positional flexibility at 6-7.

I know people here are skeptical of the Thompsons because they play in Overtime Elite. I frankly was too, but you have to watch Amen play. His hang time, body control, and speed remind me of a young Michael Jordan.

KobesAchilles
05-02-2023, 06:05 AM
How is Miller going to help win a title?

0-5
5-17
3-19

Those are his shooting numbers for the tournament, games that mattered. I can see him being a good role-player, but how does he show any #1 option, superstar quality?
reading is your friend my friend.

heyheymymy
05-02-2023, 07:11 AM
do not want scoot

John B
05-02-2023, 07:40 AM
The things I’ve read about him is that he’s a team-first kinda guy. He’s the type who likes to make his teammates better, a gym rat and passionate about winning. I’d like Miller first for his size and the fit. But I wouldn’t mind Scoot.

exstatic
05-02-2023, 08:24 AM
The things I’ve read about him is that he’s a team-first kinda guy. He’s the type who likes to make his teammates better, a gym rat and passionate about winning. I’d like Miller first for his size and the fit. But I wouldn’t mind Scoot.

Pre-draft spin to counter some of his obnoxious earlier quotes.

offset formation
05-02-2023, 09:18 AM
Seriously, like, you’ve posted multiple times that you have done “zero research on prospects” this year yet here you are being the loudest poster about a player ou have preconceived notions about but obviously have no clue. It’s quite silly, frankly, and reeks of someone trying to be edgy. …especially when you want to draft someone like Bilal in the lottery (or with our top pick? God, I hope not)

Oh where to start?

Hit a nerve much on a player you like?

Edgy? Nope, just observant, IMO.

Yes I have stated that I've done next to no film study this year. I think I've said I've only done the most basic of research on them, aside from a couple hours watching the top guys and looking topically at their stats. It's Wembanyama or bust for me because I think it's not even questionable who I want. But...

I've definitely watched highlight tape of the top 5 or 6 guys however. As it relates to Scoot: He is explosively quick. And a fantastic ball handler. And finishes at above average level. But, as the numbers bear out, he's also just average or a tad below at assisting for a guard. And he's below average at shooting the 3, shooting percentage, is turnover prone, and is a below average defender And he's ball dominant, which added together do not make for the kind of player the Spurs should draft.

If you'll recall, I was also pointing out some of these same shortcomings about Primo before it was cool around here and was also probably the first to highlight that Primo could not finish and could not get easy buckets and was increasingly being asked to carry the rock more. Scoot is not Primo. He's far superior in finishing and handling but has enough other red flags in his game as to not be worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

Someone like Bilal? Yes. Have you seen any of his tape and measurable and stats? Compared to Scoot: Better 3. Better defender (more blocks and steals) and rebounder. Same age. More than competent handle. Incredible leaper. Huge wingspan. And plays against better talent.

And more than anything, this kid's game is just starting to explode.

You like bets evidently. I'll be happy to do a bet on who is the better draft pick 2 or 3 yrs down the road.

All in good fun man. It's perfectly OK to have different views on these guys.

The Truth #6
05-02-2023, 09:19 AM
We’ll be lucky to get Scoot. More likely we’re debating high end role players when we don’t get a top 2 pick or whether or not to get Amen.

Brazil
05-02-2023, 09:19 AM
so basically Westbrick... we saw how successful this kind of guard is at padding triple double but not so much at winning

exstatic
05-02-2023, 09:31 AM
so basically Westbrick... we saw how successful this kind of guard is at padding triple double but not so much at winning

He's not in the Westbrook/Rose/Ja zip code of athleticism. When all is said and done, he'll be more Bledsoe than Westbrook.

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 09:35 AM
He's not in the Westbrook/Rose/Ja zip code of athleticism. When all is said and done, he'll be more Bledsoe than Westbrook.

Yeah, I see Bledsoe in him. People who say Jay Williams also have it right. Scoot really doesn't have the vertical explosion people think he does. Sure, there are two dunks he has in his highlight reels but they're always the same two dunks.

Brazil
05-02-2023, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I see Bledsoe in him. People who say Jay Williams also have it right. Scoot really doesn't have the vertical explosion people think he does. Sure, there are two dunks he has in his highlight reels but they're always the same two dunks.

Bledsoe ? Eric Bledsoe ? :lol

you mean an improved version of Bledsoe or straight Bledsoe ceiling ?

exstatic
05-02-2023, 09:49 AM

Straight Bledsoe. He was a good player, and had a 12 year career. Never an All Star, though, and not someone you could have wanted to build around.

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 09:49 AM

We're pretty clearly talking about Bledsoe physically.

But, sure, why not -- Bledsoe in his mid-20s for Phoenix as a ceiling. That's a good player. I don't see any reason to think Henderson will be a franchise player much less some demigod. If he went by Sterling Henderson, if G-Ignite wasn't hyped to hell by ESPN and the league, and he didn't come into the year with "generational talent" and "would go #1 in any other draft in the last ten years if not for Wembanyama," people would be a bit more straight with him.

Rocalcio
05-02-2023, 10:28 AM
I remember that earlier in the season there was a debate on who should be N°1 between him and Wembanyama. Since that his hype has been diving so much that we're not even sure he's locked at N°2.

I'm not a big fan of this guy, hopefully we get the first pick so we won't have to wonder weither or not we should get him.

LeBowen
05-02-2023, 10:36 AM
If you look at every single draft in NBA history, there were plenty of players people were wrong about. Even the best scouts and analysts can't be sure.

Last four MVP awards were won by 15th and 41st pick.

So yeah, except for Wembanyama who's a huge injury risk, we have no actual clue who's going to be the best player between Scoot, Miller, Thompson brothers and some others like Jarace and Whitmore.

spurraider21
05-02-2023, 10:50 AM
Smartest person in the room tbh

The Truth #6
05-02-2023, 10:51 AM
The footage of Coulibaly does look damn interesting, I will say. With so much uncertainty around so many of these players, it makes sense that someone will rise up the boards, and it could easily be him.

rankingtear
05-02-2023, 10:56 AM
Feel like he is a bust. Got worse as things got harder, stopped getting to the rim in traffic as the season went on ending with a shutdown with 5 games left on his season. Felt like he is protecting his stock rather than trying to compete. G-league defenses turned him into a jump shooter and he did not really try to impose his will.

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 11:37 AM
I remember that earlier in the season there was a debate on who should be N°1 between him and Wembanyama. Since that his hype has been diving so much that we're not even sure he's locked at N°2.

I'm not a big fan of this guy, hopefully we get the first pick so we won't have to wonder weither or not we should get him.

It was one of the first things that really annoyed me about this draft. Just this insane hype. And then you take a look and wonder why we ever listen to these people in the first place.

exstatic
05-02-2023, 11:57 AM
It was one of the first things that really annoyed me about this draft. Just this insane hype. And then you take a look and wonder why we ever listen to these people in the first place.

Media people get arm twisted into hyping kids, because if they don't they lose access to that AAU team or shoe company's other kids. Once you realize that there IS a ton of hype, you can cut through it.

JPB
05-02-2023, 12:03 PM
This is soooo overstated. During the season, I believe it was the first game against Orlando— Jeremy Sochan was quoted as saying he wants to show everyone why he should have been picked number 1 in the draft over Banchero. Guess he’s a terrible person for saying that.

I'd like tho see that exact Sochan quote and its context... Anyway, that's one thing to say you want to prove you should have be taken #1, that's another one to say you def should be with an universal consensus (Wemby) at #1 and it would be "unacceptable" to be drafted #3...

I just don"t feel that guy and I believe spurs don't either. He entirely lives on his hype while everything shows he doesn't deserve it, to such a point they shut his season down not to hurt that hype.

offset formation
05-02-2023, 12:19 PM
Smartest person in the room tbh

Damn Skippy.

In all seriousness, are you not concerned with his potential *downside* here? I keep hearing about him improving his defensive effort / abilities, his 3 pt shooting, his mid range under NBA tutelage. But in reality how often does that really happen with any significance? It does, but it's the outlier, not the norm.

spurraider21
05-02-2023, 12:20 PM
Damn Skippy.

In all seriousness, are you not concerned with his potential *downside* here? I keep hearing about him improving his defensive effort / abilities, his 3 pt shooting, his mid range under NBA tutelage. But in reality how often does that really happen with any significance? It does, but it's the outlier, not the norm.
of course im concerned he wont pan out. but we should be taking swings at star potential

exstatic
05-02-2023, 12:26 PM
Damn Skippy.

Not to mention his finishing, which seems Lonnie levels of ineffective. It just seems like there's too much to fix. Each area is like a coin flip. So, defense, 3 ball, mid range, finishing. Every time you add another coin flip, you multiply their odds. One area is 1/2, two areas are 1/4, three areas are 1/8, and four areas would be 1/16. It just seems like maybe you draft from the pool that maybe only needs one or two things fixed.

Ariel
05-02-2023, 12:31 PM

But, sure, why not -- Bledsoe in his mid-20s for Phoenix as a ceiling. That's a good player. I don't see any reason to think Henderson will be a franchise player much less some demigod. If he went by Sterling Henderson, if G-Ignite wasn't hyped to hell by ESPN and the league, and he didn't come into the year with "generational talent" and "would go #1 in any other draft in the last ten years if not for Wembanyama," people would be a bit more straight with him.
For the record, I think Scoot's ceiling is higher than Bledsoe. But if anyone thinks that's his ceiling, then picking him at #2 is indefensible. I'd rather get Derrick White back than pick someone at 2 hoping he's Bledsoe. So #2 for Derrick, anyone? (joking)

Ariel
05-02-2023, 12:33 PM
I'd like tho see that exact Sochan quote and its context... Anyway, that's one thing to say you want to prove you should have be taken #1, that's another one to say you def should be with an universal consensus (Wemby) at #1 and it would be "unacceptable" to be drafted #3...

I just don"t feel that guy and I believe spurs don't either. He entirely lives on his hype while everything shows he doesn't deserve it, to such a point they shut his season down not to hurt that hype.
Yeah, me too. I'm pretty confident that's not a quote that could have come out of his mouth in a serious tone. So I'll have to ask for the link as well.

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 12:54 PM
Media people get arm twisted into hyping kids, because if they don't they lose access to that AAU team or shoe company's other kids. Once you realize that there IS a ton of hype, you can cut through it.

And the NBA will hype Ignite through the roof.

And ESPN wouldn't mind G-League killing off the NCAA, which is a CBS thing.

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 12:56 PM
Damn Skippy.

This is my whole thing with Cam Whitmore. "He has all the tools to be great such and such and such." Or Amen Thompson: "He has the tools to be a lockdown defender."

Then... why aren't they already showing those things? You're selling me a big pile of lumber. That's not a house.

Shooting is one thing. Effort on the defensive end is completely different. Or ability to make even basic passes, in Cams case.

Ariel
05-02-2023, 12:59 PM
I didn't say anything about being a superstar. Most centerpieces are not.

I'm talking Fox (All-Star caliber) or better. Athletic, explosive, score first, mid range reliant PG with mediocre efficiency.

It may not sound great considering the caliber of players who have often led this franchise in their history, but this is the last franchise that has any business so much as considering passing that up.
Fox gets to the rim at will and is a much better finisher, while Scoot settles for mid range jumpers most of the time. That's a HUGE difference, you can't live off of that in the NBA unless you're SUPERB at it (DDR / Rip Hamilton like). I'm not Fox's biggest fan overall and I expect Scoot to be significantly better as a playmaker, though. But given his personality, if he doesn't get to the efficiency levels required to be an important piece (let's drop the centerpiece semantics, it leads to confusion) for a winning team, he might not be willing to take a step back to avoid hurting the team, so that's also a consideration.

Ariel
05-02-2023, 01:03 PM
Shooting is one thing. Effort on the defensive end is completely different. Or ability to make even basic passes, in Cams case.
Of course that's a concern, but he's 18 and the environment he played in wasn't the most conducive to expand his game in that way. Also if he didn't have any weaknesses we'd be talking about a no brainer no. 2 pick.
All in all, given risk / potential, he's still one of the most intriguing prospects at 4+. Not a lock to be a star, but a pretty good bet IMO.

offset formation
05-02-2023, 01:07 PM
Yup, unrealized potential stays unrealized 99/100, UNLESS you're dealing with gym rats, and even then it's probably not much better than 75/100.

I promised myself that Luka Samanic would be the last time I read more into a player than what was already present OR at least trending. So I'm trying to keep applying that to what I've seen of Scoot. It worked for me with Primo.

It's one of the reasons, along with the level of talent he's doing it against, that I'm increasingly high on Coulibaly.

jjspur
05-02-2023, 01:15 PM
If you look at every single draft in NBA history, there were plenty of players people were wrong about. Even the best scouts and analysts can't be sure.

Last four MVP awards were won by 15th and 41st pick.

So yeah, except for Wembanyama who's a huge injury risk, we have no actual clue who's going to be the best player between Scoot, Miller, Thompson brothers and some others like Jarace and Whitmore.

Excellent point.

Many posters on this board feel like its Wemby or bust and that just isn't the case. He'll be a pretty good player no doubt, and he'll make whatever team lands him better but there are no guarantees, even for a generational talent. In the last 12 years only Andrew Wiggins (traded) and Anthony Davis (traded) who were taken 1st overall have actually won a championship, the rest have come up short. To be honest, those guys were important to winning their championship, but not the main reason. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and team hopping LeBron had a lot to do with their #1 pick teammate getting a championship.

Having the #1 pick is great, but its also great to have other players that can do a lot of the heavy lifting as well. If we don't get Wemby, hopefully we get a real good secondary player, which all championship aspiring teams need.

rjv
05-02-2023, 01:25 PM
Excellent point.

Many posters on this board feel like its Wemby or bust and that just isn't the case. He'll be a pretty good player no doubt, and he'll make whatever team lands him better but there are no guarantees, even for a generational talent. In the last 12 years only Andrew Wiggins (traded) and Anthony Davis (traded) who were taken 1st overall have actually won a championship, the rest have come up short. To be honest, those guys were important to winning their championship, but not the main reason. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and team hopping LeBron had a lot to do with their #1 pick teammate getting a championship.

Having the #1 pick is great, but its also great to have other players that can do a lot of the heavy lifting as well. If we don't get Wemby, hopefully we get a real good secondary player, which all championship aspiring teams need.

it's also not as if all of the spurs chips are in this one pick; they have a nice stockpile of picks and salary cap space-all ingredients needed for building a contender.

rascal
05-02-2023, 01:48 PM

Because they know more than you do.

Ariel
05-02-2023, 01:49 PM
Excellent point.

That's completely misleading, Jokic is a complete outlier. If you go by the MVP historic list they're OVERWHELMINGLY high lottery picks (mostly top 3), with a few low lottery exceptions or borderline (Nash & Giannis). Only 2 MVPs ever were below 15 picks (Jokic & Willis Reed)
https://fadeawayworld.net/nba/nba-mvp-winners-by-draft-positions
https://i.ibb.co/4JBz19z/mvps.png

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 01:53 PM
Because they know more than you do.

The hype guys? Oh, no, honey.

rascal
05-02-2023, 02:04 PM
The hype guys? Oh, no, honey.

I'll trust what timvp says that the Spurs like Scoot and the Thompson twins over who you think is better.

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 02:08 PM
I'll trust what timvp says that the Spurs like Scoot and the Thompson twins over who you think is better.

Buddy, we're talking ESPN hype guys at the beginning of the season.

As for timvp, I don't think anything he said is new or unnatural. The Spurs aren't going to show their interests at this point. I doubt his contacts in the eastern conference have any idea, either.

rjv
05-02-2023, 02:17 PM
ST is never wrong. and we're our own contacts. so there!

offset formation
05-02-2023, 02:21 PM

Now do Primo. He was on nobody's map. He was a bust also. So on both possibilities of context, Primo proves that line of thinking invalud.

rascal
05-02-2023, 02:26 PM
Now do Primo.

Primo was a reach because the Spurs caught word he wasn't going to be available at their next pick.

Last year it was known the Spurs were interested in Sochan before the draft and that is who they picked. Teams draft who they like, like NO drafting Daniels last year even though word the Spurs liked Sochan.

Spurs were worried NO might take Sochan but teams draft who they like not what some other team likes.

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 02:30 PM
Primo was a reach because the Spurs caught word he wasn't going to be available at their next pick.

Last year it was known the Spurs were interested in Sochan before the draft and that is who they picked. Teams draft who they like, like NO drafting Daniels last year even though word the Spurs liked Sochan.

Spurs were worried NO might take Sochan but teams draft who they like not what some other team likes.

Mark Williams.

rascal
05-02-2023, 02:32 PM
Mark Williams.

Nope the Spurs were interested in Sochan over Williams. Sochan was more likely to be drafted by timvp in his writeups.

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 02:40 PM
Nope the Spurs were interested in Sochan over Williams. Sochan was more likely to be drafted by timvp in his writeups.

I don't know if you have trouble understanding basic things, but the Spurs floated the idea that they were interested in Mark Williams.

offset formation
05-02-2023, 02:41 PM

Yes I know that's what the Spurs leaked in the aftermath of their pick which was being trashed in real time (won't forget Ryen Russillo on this subject). But we don't know if that's legitimately what occurred or covering your ass.

And even if it was to cockblock NO, as you said, it was still a reach. Point being, PATCO may or may not be high on Scoot and tge Twins. It could be nothing more than draft BS to start poisoning the well OR trying to raise trade value on desire so ppl below them in the draft consider trading up, depending on where we end up being slotted

Chinook
05-02-2023, 03:58 PM
I can't say I find the logic of "Scoot's a superstar who won't be able to win as the best players, so let's take a non-superstar instead" all that compelling. They can draft Scoot and then draft someone else next year. There's not a rule out there that there can be only one potential star on the team at once. Unless the Spurs actively move into a win-now posture, no one they draft is going to prevent them from having another bite of the apple next year. PG is a position of need, and if Scoot is BPA, he's the obvious pick. Don't worry about the team's ceiling at a time when they're trying the scrape their floor off the basement.

Ariel
05-02-2023, 04:10 PM
I can't say I find the logic of "Scoot's a superstar who won't be able to win as the best players, so let's take a non-superstar instead" all that compelling
Has anyone said that? I must have missed it.

Brazil
05-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Straight Bledsoe. He was a good player, and had a 12 year career. Never an All Star, though, and not someone you could have wanted to build around.

Bledsoe is a good player and all but we are talking about a potential 2nd pick here :lol I just looked it up, Bledsoe was 18th pick overall, that's great value for a late first round pick but if you draft second you better draft a dude with higher ceiling than that :lol

Brazil
05-02-2023, 04:18 PM
:lol if Scoot er ceiling is Bledsoe... draft someone else for the love of god

exstatic
05-02-2023, 04:20 PM
I can't say I find the logic of "Scoot's a superstar who won't be able to win as the best players, so let's take a non-superstar instead" all that compelling. They can draft Scoot and then draft someone else next year. There's not a rule out there that there can be only one potential star on the team at once. Unless the Spurs actively move into a win-now posture, no one they draft is going to prevent them from having another bite of the apple next year. PG is a position of need, and if Scoot is BPA, he's the obvious pick. Don't worry about the team's ceiling at a time when they're trying the scrape their floor off the basement.

Scoot's not a superstar.

JPB
05-02-2023, 04:20 PM

I believe that's the whole point... Is he BPA?

exstatic
05-02-2023, 04:23 PM
I believe that's the whole point... Is he BPA?

Best Player or best prospect?

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 04:33 PM
Bledsoe is a good player and all but we are talking about a potential 2nd pick here :lol I just looked it up, Bledsoe was 18th pick overall, that's great value for a late first round pick but if you draft second you better draft a dude with higher ceiling than that :lol

Cool, you're starting to get it.

K...
05-02-2023, 04:39 PM
I think spursfans will soon see why tanking sucks and why not tanking in 2018 was correct.

You dont draft players in the lottery you draft prospects. Other than wemby everything is Meh because drafting sucks. Yet its how the nba allocates talent. Imagine if the spurs could draft rookie contract prospects of other teams. Thats the best equivalent of old style drafting was,.when you drafted older more experienced prospects

jjspur
05-02-2023, 04:40 PM
That's completely misleading, Jokic is a complete outlier. If you go by the MVP historic list they're OVERWHELMINGLY high lottery picks (mostly top 3), with a few low lottery exceptions or borderline (Nash & Giannis). Only 2 MVPs ever were below 15 picks (Jokic & Willis Reed)
https://fadeawayworld.net/nba/nba-mvp-winners-by-draft-positions
https://i.ibb.co/4JBz19z/mvps.png

I was actually speaking about NBA champions in the last 12 years ( an average NBA players career) . While there are a lot of MVP's, they all weren't drafted Number 1, and some weren't even NBA champs, and if they were champs, some didn't necessarily win them with the team that originally drafted them. You made your point that top 3 picks produce a lot of MVP's, I don't disagree, but my point wasn't about individual MVP's, it was about championships and how many of the past 12 #1 picks have won. Make a graphic about that. Not sure the numbers will look as high.

Man you had to go way way back to find some of these guys. Wilt ? Bill Walton ? Oscar Robertson ? Those guys played more than 40 years ago, all hall of famers with 6 MVP's but only 5 chips over 38 years total. While having a MVP on your team is great and will do a lot for a team, it may not necessarily get you a championship (Steve Nash, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone - 5 MVP's 0 chips). Lesson for the day - even with all the info and video, it can be a crapshoot. Your #1 pick may be good, great or average but always highly paid, or your #7 pick may be good , great , or average as well, but help get you a championship. MVP's are great but the chips are what make the difference.

KobesAchilles
05-02-2023, 05:15 PM
I think spursfans will soon see why tanking sucks and why not tanking in 2018 was correct.

You dont draft players in the lottery you draft prospects. Other than wemby everything is Meh because drafting sucks. Yet its how the nba allocates talent. Imagine if the spurs could draft rookie contract prospects of other teams. Thats the best equivalent of old style drafting was,.when you drafted older more experienced prospects
Wasn’t that the Luka draft? Bc I’d rather have him than our entire current roster

offset formation
05-02-2023, 05:24 PM
One point I haven't seen discussed yet is that in taking a player like Scoot, he really undermines one of your FRPs in Blake Wesley from just last year too. They're too similar a player. I'm sure he'll get PT over him being the 2nd or 3rd pick. Might as well trade Wesley for scraps now. Just doesn't make sense on several levels to me, mostly because I think Wesley is better than Scoot. But call me crazy Scoot mob.

exstatic
05-02-2023, 05:29 PM
Wasn’t that the Luka draft? Bc I’d rather have him than our entire current roster

We were coming off a playoff run in the summer of 2018, and Tony and Manu were still on the team.

TD 21
05-02-2023, 05:29 PM
Fox gets to the rim at will and is a much better finisher, while Scoot settles for mid range jumpers most of the time. That's a HUGE difference, you can't live off of that in the NBA unless you're SUPERB at it (DDR / Rip Hamilton like). I'm not Fox's biggest fan overall and I expect Scoot to be significantly better as a playmaker, though. But given his personality, if he doesn't get to the efficiency levels required to be an important piece (let's drop the centerpiece semantics, it leads to confusion) for a winning team, he might not be willing to take a step back to avoid hurting the team, so that's also a consideration.

Fox subsists on a steady diet of mid rangers and he's also 7 years older, so of course he's more polished.

The last part is hypothetical and likely years down the line, exactly the sort of thing a team in the infancy of a re-build has no business so much as considering.

Too many are consumed with prescribing problems and reverse engineering something that hasn't even occurred yet. Paralysis by analysis.

A lot of them have this idea that because this franchise has had Robinson, Duncan and briefly Scumbag playing at a superstar level basically in succession, that they'll just luck into another one in relatively short order, so why settle for anything less or that whoever takes the torch has to fit the ethos of Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and to a lesser extent Parker.

They don't get that the odds of either are astronomically slim and that this draft is essentially the beginning, not the end.

exstatic
05-02-2023, 05:31 PM
Fox subsists on a steady diet of mid rangers and he's also 7 years older, so of course he's more polished.

The last part is hypothetical and likely years down the line, exactly the sort of thing a team in the infancy of a re-build has no business so much as considering.

Too many are consumed with prescribing problems and reverse engineering something that hasn't even occurred yet. Paralysis by analysis.

A lot of them have this idea that because this franchise has had Robinson, Duncan and briefly Scumbag playing at a superstar level basically in succession, that they'll just luck into another one in relatively short order, so why settle for anything less or that whoever takes the torch has to fit the ethos of Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and to a lesser extent Parker.

They don't get that the odds of either are astronomically slim and that this draft is essentially the beginning, not the end.

If we don't draw a superstar, you want someone who plays well with others, not a heliocentric. There are a number of players I'd be happy with if we don't draw Wemby. Scoot isn't on that list.

TD 21
05-02-2023, 05:40 PM
If we don't draw a superstar, you want someone who plays well with others, not a heliocentric. There are a number of players I'd be happy with if we don't draw Wemby. Scoot isn't on that list.

No, you want the perceived highest ceiling individual talent and if they also fill your biggest current positional need and are easily marketable to the masses, even better.

exstatic
05-02-2023, 05:42 PM
No, you want the perceived highest ceiling individual talent and if they also fill your biggest current positional need and are easily marketable to the masses, even better.

Except that he has too many deficit boxes to check to be a superstar. Shooting, defense, finishing, midrange scoring. That's not a high ceiling, it's a pipe dream.

offset formation
05-02-2023, 05:48 PM

This is certainly a misread. I think every single one of the people I've seen cautioning against Scoot is quite cognizant of our draft odds. I think there's also certainly no consensus of who to take if not picking #1. I just sense that we all are of the mindset that Scoot is not the one we should be taking because we think there are better prospects as found in any number of the other top guys. I'm personally high on a guy I haven't seen any others promoting. Either way, I'm also well aware we're just hitting our bottom point and that the climb out won't be simple. However, as I posted on that other thread on "worst future in our division", I also think the skies are clearing for us to ascend faster than I had previously thought given concerns in NO, Dallas, Memphis, and to a lesser extent in Houston now that theyve hired Ime. This draft will determine a bunch of how those next few years play out which is why it's so critical not to squander a pick this year on mere potential that never shakes out.

TD 21
05-02-2023, 06:12 PM
Except that he has too many deficit boxes to check to be a superstar. Shooting, defense, finishing, midrange scoring. That's not a high ceiling, it's a pipe dream.

Again, who said anything about a superstar? And other than range shooting, there's no reason to think he won't become decent or better at all of those things.

This is certainly a misread. I think every single one of the people I've seen cautioning against Scoot is quite cognizant of our draft odds. I think there's also certainly no consensus of who to take if not picking #1. I just sense that we all are of the mindset that Scoot is not the one we should be taking because we think there are better prospects as found in any number of the other top guys. I'm personally high on a guy I haven't seen any others promoting. Either way, I'm also well aware we're just hitting our bottom point and that the climb out won't be simple. However, as I posted on that other thread on "worst future in our division", I also think the skies are clearing for us to ascend faster than I had previously thought given concerns in NO, Dallas, Memphis, and to a lesser extent in Houston now that theyve hired Ime. This draft will determine a bunch of how those next few years play out which is why it's so critical not to squander a pick this year on mere potential that never shakes out.

Henderson or otherwise, people need to lower or alter their standards both in caliber and personality type for the next face of the franchise.

duncan2150
05-02-2023, 06:30 PM
I'm totally not with mr body and exastic( and others) on this one, that's not the hype.

Hardy get the hype in high school but did not pass the test of g league, scoot does, not all players have good seasons like him at his age.

He has some flaws but also a lot of qualities, i can't say i'll be a superstar but imo he'll not be a bust, too much strenghts in his game.

I would e happy to have him with a pick 2 or 3

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 06:50 PM
I'm totally not with mr body and exastic( and others) on this one, that's not the hype.

Hardy get the hype in high school but did not pass the test of g league, scoot does, not all players have good seasons like him at his age.

He has some flaws but also a lot of qualities, i can't say i'll be a superstar but imo he'll not be a bust, too much strenghts in his game.

So you think Scoot is a generational talent and that he'd "easily be the first pick of any draft of the last ten years"?

JPB
05-02-2023, 07:10 PM

He didn't have a good season in the G league.

duncan2150
05-02-2023, 07:13 PM
So you think Scoot is a generational talent and that he'd "easily be the first pick of any draft of the last ten years"?

i think that wemby is a generational talent, after that i think that scoot may be the best player in this draft.

Im totally open to the debate but imo he's not here because of the hype or a potential bust.

JPB
05-02-2023, 07:14 PM
19 games, 30min/game, 16.5 pts at 42%, 27% behind the arc, 76% FT, 5.3 rbs, 6.8 ass, 3.5 to... That's correct but not worth the hype he got.

duncan2150
05-02-2023, 07:15 PM
He didn't have a good season in the G league.

That's not my opinion but ok, a correct or quite good season if you want.

CGD
05-02-2023, 07:26 PM
The #2 pick is also cursed.

Yeah, I’m wary of the #2 pick.

Sure it’s landed KD, Kidd, and Morant, but outside of that it’s pretty poor.

I guess LMA, Williams and Ingram where #2s, but meh. Far more Bagleys, Wisemans, Okafors, Van Horns, Beaslys, etc etc than the other way around.

NickiRasgo
05-02-2023, 08:58 PM
The thing that worry me about Scoot is he didn't had an opportunity to show what's he capable (if he is) when the game is on the line. Not saying G-League is bad but they're there to showcase or rise their stock thru stats and highlights hence no pressuree unlike NCAA.

Again, I don't mind him at #2 but if the Spurs landed him they still needed to get another 6'6" and above go-to-guy in the upcoming draft since they will still probably be a lottery team (to be fair regardless if whoever the Spurs picks). Currently, most of the teams in the 2nd Round in the Playoffs are being led by a 6'6" and above outside Curry and maybe Brunson but they're playing team ball.

scott
05-02-2023, 10:37 PM
The NBA would be a lot better off if they raised the minimum draft age to 21.

Chinook
05-03-2023, 10:23 AM
Has anyone said that? I must have missed it.

Check Ex's response to the same post you quoted.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 10:28 AM
Check Ex's response to the same post you quoted.

The post he quoted said something about Scoot BEING a superstar and other qualifications. My response that that he will NOT be a superstar, the opposite of what your post said that people were saying.

I can't say I find the logic of "Scoot's a superstar who won't be able to win as the best players, so let's take a non-superstar instead" all that compelling.

Scoot's not a superstar.

Capice?

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2023, 10:32 AM
The NBA would be a lot better off if they raised the minimum draft age to 21.

I agree with that. Too hard to guess on how an 18 or 19 year old is going to develop. Might have been able to weed out guys like Primo and Walker.

Chinook
05-03-2023, 10:35 AM

Scoot should be on that list. There's no good argument that he's not good at basketball. How he acted as a high-schooler (which wasn't even bad FFS) is not an indicator for how he's going to act five to eight years removed from that (meaning when he enters his prime and the team is legit trying to win). The team that drafts Scoot will have a large effect on how he develops. You of all people should believe this. There's no reason to believe that Henderson is going to come in and take the ball from everyone else on the team and that the Spurs would be fine with that. What they would definitely be fine with his giving Scoot opportunities to grow into his game, as they have been doing with everyone else.

Draft high is going to mean drafting diva prospects, likely who've gone through the AAU/NIL if not semi-pro pipeline. Moralizing against prospects who have that kind of hype train behind them would just put the Spurs behind the cart. Of course, the Spurs could for purely basketball reasons just think some other player is better. That's fine. In fact, I'd say it's likely that someone picked later in the draft will end up being as good or better. But they shouldn't use the potential struggles of a Ja-led team or any other team that features a PG as a justification, both because that would still be a huge improvement for them and give them a platform to make a win-now trade later on and because drafting a PG who looks like he'll be the star now doesn't mean they won't just draft a better player next year. I don't care if he's the Westbrook to future Durant. That OKC team is still incredibly aspirational for the Spurs. They just have to make better decisions if they find themselves in that position.

Chinook
05-03-2023, 10:38 AM
The post he quoted said something about Scoot BEING a superstar and other qualifications. My response that that he will NOT be a superstar, the opposite of what your post said that people were saying.

Capice?

No, because you explained to Teeds that you're using a different definition of superstar. Like are Ja and Fox superstars in your mind? If they aren't, then you're setting a higher standard than I am when it comes to my opinion of the logic failing. No one's saying he's a guaranteed HoFer, but you're literally advocating for drafting a guy with a lower ceiling because he "fits better with others", and that's the problem.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2023, 10:45 AM
I don't really view Scoot as a future franchise player. Is his ceiling higher than Amen? I'd see Amen as having a higher ceiling and also a much lower floor. But maybe that's the direction to go when there's not a sure thing out there. Or trade the pick if we end up 2 or 3.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 11:06 AM
Scoot should be on that list. There's no good argument that he's not good at basketball. How he acted as a high-schooler (which wasn't even bad FFS) is not an indicator for how he's going to act five to eight years removed from that (meaning when he enters his prime and the team is legit trying to win). The team that drafts Scoot will have a large effect on how he develops. You of all people should believe this. There's no reason to believe that Henderson is going to come in and take the ball from everyone else on the team and that the Spurs would be fine with that. What they would definitely be fine with his giving Scoot opportunities to grow into his game, as they have been doing with everyone else.

Draft high is going to mean drafting diva prospects, likely who've gone through the AAU/NIL if not semi-pro pipeline. Moralizing against prospects who have that kind of hype train behind them would just put the Spurs behind the cart. Of course, the Spurs could for purely basketball reasons just think some other player is better. That's fine. In fact, I'd say it's likely that someone picked later in the draft will end up being as good or better. But they shouldn't use the potential struggles of a Ja-led team or any other team that features a PG as a justification, both because that would still be a huge improvement for them and give them a platform to make a win-now trade later on and because drafting a PG who looks like he'll be the star now doesn't mean they won't just draft a better player next year. I don't care if he's the Westbrook to future Durant. That OKC team is still incredibly aspirational for the Spurs. They just have to make better decisions if they find themselves in that position.

I don't care how he acted as a high schooler, and his current cockiness, while annoying, isn't the reason I don't want him. He's an inefficient high usage chucker. If his gleague numbers were 30p/12a 40% 3G, 85% FT, I'd be all over him, and they should have been. The gleague is only baby steps better than OTE. There are virtually no shot blockers, so the rim should have been his playground, a virtual turnstile of scoring for him. That didn't happen.

Chin, we're not going to agree on this or convince the other of our POVs. You'll come back with something like he can learn to play well with others, and I'll point out the litany of low efficiency chuckers who never did. Scoot's not the athlete that Wall or Rose or Westbrook are, and he's not the shooter to overcome that deficit.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 11:08 AM
No, because you explained to Teeds that you're using a different definition of superstar. Like are Ja and Fox superstars in your mind? If they aren't, then you're setting a higher standard than I am when it comes to my opinion of the logic failing. No one's saying he's a guaranteed HoFer, but you're literally advocating for drafting a guy with a lower ceiling because he "fits better with others", and that's the problem.

There are really maybe 3-5 superstars in the league at any time, so, no, Fox and Ja aren't. You have to at least make All NBA 1st or 2nd team, and win something, maybe a playoff series or two.

Joseph Kony
05-03-2023, 11:27 AM
im gonna lmao when the Spurs end up drafting Scoot with the #2 pick and Mrs Body is inevitably sucking him off once he has a few good games for us like he hasnt been shitting on him constantly for the last year or more :lmao

Mr. Body
05-03-2023, 11:58 AM
im gonna lmao when the Spurs end up drafting Scoot with the #2 pick and Mrs Body is inevitably sucking him off once he has a few good games for us like he hasnt been shitting on him constantly for the last year or more :lmao

Good Christ are you obsessed with me.

Joseph Kony
05-03-2023, 12:34 PM
Good Christ are you obsessed with me.

:lol right. this is a thread about Scoot Henderson, in which you are shitting on him, which you have done pretty much any time he has been discussed over the last year. if you werent always spitting out retarded takes in a sad attempt to be the next timvp, i wouldnt need to wipe my ass with your stupidity

Mr. Body
05-03-2023, 01:09 PM
:lol right. this is a thread about Scoot Henderson, in which you are shitting on him, which you have done pretty much any time he has been discussed over the last year. if you werent always spitting out retarded takes in a sad attempt to be the next timvp, i wouldnt need to wipe my ass with your stupidity

lol, it's you and that other guy. You never have anything to say, you just swoop in to see what I have to say and then show how obsessed you are. :lol

Chinook
05-03-2023, 01:21 PM
I don't care how he acted as a high schooler, and his current cockiness, while annoying, isn't the reason I don't want him. He's an inefficient high usage chucker. If his gleague numbers were 30p/12a 40% 3G, 85% FT, I'd be all over him, and they should have been. The gleague is only baby steps better than OTE. There are virtually no shot blockers, so the rim should have been his playground, a virtual turnstile of scoring for him. That didn't happen.

Chin, we're not going to agree on this or convince the other of our POVs. You'll come back with something like he can learn to play well with others, and I'll point out the litany of low efficiency chuckers who never did. Scoot's not the athlete that Wall or Rose or Westbrook are, and he's not the shooter to overcome that deficit.

My issue is not with saying Scoot isn't a good basketball prospect. I haven't paid attention to the scouting beyond an occasional Hoop Intellect video, so I don't know. You and the Spurs may just determine that he's not a better prospect than other guys, and that's okay.

My issue, as you anticipate, is the idea that because 19-year-old Scoot isn't mature that he'll never mature. We don't know much about the actual temperaments and attitudes of these players. That was just underscored by Primo ending up being a fucking predator whom no one on the team seemed to like despite passing all the personality tests the team had when he was drafted. So I don't actually think we know about what Scoot will be like in the league. Players will just be more and more set up this way as we move toward pre-NBA situations becoming more monetized. That's not a bad thing as a whole at all, but it does come with some challenges. The teams that figure out how to sift through those changes are going to have a huge advantage over their competitors. The Spurs can't act conservative about this lest they be caught on the wrong side of history.

There are really maybe 3-5 superstars in the league at any time, so, no, Fox and Ja aren't. You have to at least make All NBA 1st or 2nd team, and win something, maybe a playoff series or two.

Okay, so what I'm saying is that getting a guy in that tier is worth way more than getting a good fit. Like even if you have two iso-heavy prospects, you can build a middling system off that as you try to develop a system around their talents. No, it's not the optimal way to a title, but the Spurs aren't going to go from drafting high to contender status. They're going to have to make signings and trades along the way, including those that acquire top three players on their team. If they draft two Tony Parkers but no Tim Duncan, then so be it. They can still go for it then tank again if it fails. They can't just tread water until a top 3-5 player falls into their laps.

jjspur
05-03-2023, 01:40 PM
If we are lucky enough to land Wemby, the team will probably improve by 10 - 15 games or so, putting us at about roughly 35 wins, still out of the play in. If we draft anyone else (even Scoot) we probably end up at about 30 wins. Any other team improvement in the way of wins will have to come from trades, new signings or current player improvement. Either way it will still be an improvement over this past year.

A lot is riding on this draft, but we should also look at other sources of improvement as well.

Ocotillo
05-03-2023, 01:43 PM
I don't really view Scoot as a future franchise player. Is his ceiling higher than Amen? I'd see Amen as having a higher ceiling and also a much lower floor. But maybe that's the direction to go when there's not a sure thing out there. Or trade the pick if we end up 2 or 3.

One thing about missing on a high draft pick, there are quite often other teams that feel they can trade for that guy and the change of scenary is all he needs so they are not always total losses.

The Truth #6
05-03-2023, 02:09 PM
I'd prefer the Spurs draft a high ceiling player, but if they don't I'll assume that player had too many concerns. Talking about Scoot and Amen here, specifically, and if we land 1-3. But if we start getting into picks 4-7, at that point I'm not exactly considering Cam Whitmore worth taking over say Walker/Hendricks/Anthony Black. I don't see us trading back if we are in the top 3. It's possible Amen could slide, so it will be interesting. To me, this is the challenge with drafting a high pick: there is lots of risk. It's easier picking role players later in the first round when you already have 3 HOF players and you're competing for titles every year. Outside of Wemby, I don't see any player having the potential to vault us into the play in tournament, so I expect us to suck next year as well. Whether or not Pop leans into tanking I can't say. But I can easily see us still in the bottom 8.

Chinook
05-03-2023, 03:36 PM
If we are lucky enough to land Wemby, the team will probably improve by 10 - 15 games or so, putting us at about roughly 35 wins, still out of the play in. If we draft anyone else (even Scoot) we probably end up at about 30 wins. Any other team improvement in the way of wins will have to come from trades, new signings or current player improvement. Either way it will still be an improvement over this past year.

A lot is riding on this draft, but we should also look at other sources of improvement as well.

I don't think we should expect Wemby to improve the Spurs much at all right away. Tim Duncan is the rare prospect who comes in and plays like a legit MVP dark horse right away. Wemby very well may not be physically ready for the NBA, and he is very unlikely to be ready to dominate it from a physical perspective. No, he's not likely to be better than Kevin Durant was, and the Sonics/Thunder still have two more years of high draft picks after landing KD. What would add 10 wins is the Spurs shifting to a win-now posture, not resting guys so much and acquiring and playing established talent over middling prospects. I don't expect the team to switch posture by default next year. If they look to be a playoff contender despite not changing posture, I could see them dabbling in some win-now moves. But I think their intention is for this to be one of a short string of top-five picks on their way to reconstructing their roster.

offset formation
05-03-2023, 03:36 PM

Two way street, my man. If and when he becomes exactly what several of us are saying, will you be sucking us off, or at least the guy who replaces him?

Joseph Kony
05-03-2023, 03:46 PM
Two way street, my man. If and when he becomes exactly what several of us are saying, will you be sucking us off, or at least the guy who replaces him?
I don't pretend to be some know it all whose opinion means more than anyone elses here, nor have i spent the last year taking a dump on the Ignite and anyone who has played for them, so no :lol I also never proclaimed he would be a star or anything. It's just tiresome constantly reading some twat who spends endless hours here posting his thoughts about prospects and pretends his some vast repository of knowledge and we should all take his opinions on Scoot or anyone more seriously than the national consensus

The reality is none of you fucks' opinions hold more weight than anyone elses, nor do any of you truly know wtf you're talking about when it comes to evaluating pre-draft talent to begin with so y'all should quit talking as if any of your opinions about whether a draftee will bust or not mean jack shit

Ocotillo
05-03-2023, 03:48 PM
I don't think we should expect Wemby to improve the Spurs much at all right away. Tim Duncan is the rare prospect who comes in and plays like a legit MVP dark horse right away.

I think those days are over. TD came into this league after 4 years in college. Nowadays, most guys are 19, maybe 20 that are picked top 3 and I don't see teenagers coming in and turning a team around like Tim or DRob were able to. Lebron, KD and Kobe were amazing players their first seasons but they still had a lot of growth ahead of them and adjusting to playing with grown men.

duncan2150
05-03-2023, 04:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsxg5Czd-xo

IMO He's a way more mature player than the average players of his age, he's a player who needs the ball a lot to be effective and he needs to work on the off ball part of his game ( on D and O).

jjspur
05-03-2023, 05:24 PM
I think those days are over. TD came into this league after 4 years in college. Nowadays, most guys are 19, maybe 20 that are picked top 3 and I don't see teenagers coming in and turning a team around like Tim or DRob were able to. Lebron, KD and Kobe were amazing players their first seasons but they still had a lot of growth ahead of them and adjusting to playing with grown men.

Agree Wemby is no TD or DRobb , but unless we do another obvious tank job like this past year, most anyone we draft in the top 7 plus our 2 2nd rounders should help us win even just a few more games. The front office may not care about wins over development, but I don't think spurs owners and investors want another repeat of this year. Remember the sours are also a business.

rascal
05-03-2023, 05:45 PM
The Spurs need a floor general pg and if they are drafting second it's going to be Scoot.

TD 21
05-03-2023, 05:45 PM

Unassailable superstars: Jokic, Embiid, Antetokounmpo, Doncic

Superstar caliber with health related caveat: Durant, Curry, Davis, James, Scumbag

Nebulous zone between superstar and star: Butler, Tatum, Lillard, Gilgeous-Alexander, Williamson, Morant

rascal
05-03-2023, 05:48 PM

Then who do you take second?

Let's see if that player ends up better than Scoot.

JPB
05-03-2023, 06:17 PM

I already posted this in another thread, but Wemby will have played about ahundred pro games vs. adults when he'll enter the NBA. DRob and Tim had none. Forget his age, Wemby will actually have more pro experience than them against tougher competition. He ridiculously destroyed G league competition last summer and will be ready from day 1...

And I'm not sure everyone realize how good he is, that will probably shock some, but he'll certainly have a better career than DRob and as much, if not more, impact his first year than Drob or even Duncan. He'll easily be a 20/10 player, with a bunch of blocks his first season.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 06:31 PM

There’s a very good chance that Cason Wallace ends up a better NBA player than Scoot.

spurraider21
05-03-2023, 06:36 PM
kove averaged 7.6ppg on 41.7% shooting as a rookie

TD 21
05-03-2023, 06:39 PM
I already posted this in another thread, but Wemby will have played about ahundred pro games vs. adults when he'll enter the NBA. DRob and Tim had none. Forget his age, Wemby will actually have more pro experience than them against tougher competition. He ridiculously destroyed G league competition last summer and will be ready from day 1...

And I'm not sure everyone realize how good he is, that will probably shock some, but he'll certainly have a better career than DRob and as much, if not more, impact his first year than Drob or even Duncan. He'll easily be a 20/10 player, with a bunch of blocks his first season.

Robinson is a consensus top 25ish player of all time (with a good case to be considered higher).

Wembanyama arguably (James) has the highest ceiling ever for someone his age, but still, the amount that has to go right to definitively have a better career than someone of that caliber is far too much to assume anything.

The odds of him having the immediate impact of Robinson or Duncan are microscopic considering they were significantly older and essentially day one top five players.

Mr. Body
05-03-2023, 06:56 PM
There’s a very good chance that Cason Wallace ends up a better NBA player than Scoot.

I would say that he and Keyonte George are pretty similar. Questionable defense, mixed results with scoring, similar size and athleticism...

Not comparing like to like (in terms of league): https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=keyonte-george--scoot-henderson

Dejounte
05-03-2023, 07:02 PM
There sure is a lot of imaginary shit that people are pulling out of their ass in this thread. Where’s the Willy Wonka meme when I need it. “A very good chance” this, “a very good chance that”. Man, give me a fucking break. Some serious fortune telling on here from people who’ve been ridiculously wrong in the past.

Dejounte
05-03-2023, 07:05 PM
Oh where to start?

Hit a nerve much on a player you like?

Edgy? Nope, just observant, IMO.

Yes I have stated that I've done next to no film study this year. I think I've said I've only done the most basic of research on them, aside from a couple hours watching the top guys and looking topically at their stats. It's Wembanyama or bust for me because I think it's not even questionable who I want. But...

I've definitely watched highlight tape of the top 5 or 6 guys however. As it relates to Scoot: He is explosively quick. And a fantastic ball handler. And finishes at above average level. But, as the numbers bear out, he's also just average or a tad below at assisting for a guard. And he's below average at shooting the 3, shooting percentage, is turnover prone, and is a below average defender And he's ball dominant, which added together do not make for the kind of player the Spurs should draft.

If you'll recall, I was also pointing out some of these same shortcomings about Primo before it was cool around here and was also probably the first to highlight that Primo could not finish and could not get easy buckets and was increasingly being asked to carry the rock more. Scoot is not Primo. He's far superior in finishing and handling but has enough other red flags in his game as to not be worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

Someone like Bilal? Yes. Have you seen any of his tape and measurable and stats? Compared to Scoot: Better 3. Better defender (more blocks and steals) and rebounder. Same age. More than competent handle. Incredible leaper. Huge wingspan. And plays against better talent.

And more than anything, this kid's game is just starting to explode.

You like bets evidently. I'll be happy to do a bet on who is the better draft pick 2 or 3 yrs down the road.

All in good fun man. It's perfectly OK to have different views on these guys.

Bro, I’m fine with people not in favor of Scoot. The only thing I took issue with is your claim that the people who like Scoot are in some sort of group think when there are a few like me who actually spend time (a lot of time) to watch these guys.

Mr. Body
05-03-2023, 07:05 PM
There sure is a lot of imaginary shit that people are pulling out of their ass in this thread. Where’s the Willy Wonka meme when I need it. “A very good chance” this, “a very good chance that”. Man, give me a fucking break. Some serious fortune telling on here from people who’ve been ridiculously wrong in the past.

Exactly! I agree we should slow the hype on Scoot Henderson. You got that right.

Dejounte
05-03-2023, 07:10 PM
Exactly! I agree we should slow the hype on Scoot Henderson. You got that right.

Spend your energy making good threads vs having extremely antagonistic views about players’ path choices to the NBA. Right now this is a waste of your energy.

Dejounte
05-03-2023, 07:14 PM
I’m confident Scoot will be good but I don’t know if he will be good. Is it really HARD to have the kind of humility to admit that you can dislike a player but not pretend-know how they’ll be in the NBA? Like seriously, man.

Mr. Body
05-03-2023, 07:25 PM
I’m confident Scoot will be good but I don’t know if he will be good. Is it really HARD to have the kind of humility to admit that you can dislike a player but not pretend-know how they’ll be in the NBA? Like seriously, man.

You seem to be having a mental breakdown. First you imply anybody who thinks Scoot Henderson may not be Russell Westbrook with incredible decision making a terrific jump shot are delusional and "pulling imaginary shit." Then you say you don't know if he'll be good. Who do you think the delusional people are here? If you want to be delusional, lean into it.

Are you having a stroke?

Dejounte
05-03-2023, 07:29 PM
LMAAAAAOOOOO This is pure comedy that Body is calling me out for a meltdown. Look at yourself in the mirror and check out the many, many, many rants you have on here. Jesus Christ dude.

Dejounte
05-03-2023, 07:34 PM
And I never implied anything close to what you just said. So, nice attempt at gaslighting. You’re batshit crazy dude and you spend too much time and energy having a hissy fit on these forums. The sooner you realize it, the better. But maybe this is your way to relieve stress, because you sound like you would be an extremely unhinged individual in person.

rascal
05-03-2023, 07:51 PM

What's a very good chance? 90%? 75%?

BacktoBasics
05-03-2023, 07:51 PM

I wouldn’t put so much emphasis on stats when referencing impact.

Robinson took 26-56 to 56-26.

Obviously there were other trades but that would be the bar for impact.

I do think Wemby very well could take a lotto team to the playoffs. So I’m not completely dismissive of your point.

mo7888
05-03-2023, 07:52 PM

It feels like alot of people are just trolling to kill time waiting on the draft... Scoot is going #2... if he were in any draft 2020 through last years draft he'd have gone #1... (ahead of Paolo, Cunningham, and Edwards)...

exstatic
05-03-2023, 08:52 PM

I’m sorry I offended your sensibilities. I’m confident that Cason Wallace could be a better NBA player than Scoot. Is saying it that way less hurtful to you?

Mr. Body
05-03-2023, 08:59 PM
Can we just get a thread on another candidate? This one's stale.

offset formation
05-03-2023, 09:29 PM

Amen and Amir Thompson, Miller, or Bilal Coulibaly are likely to have better careers IMHO. Amen is intriguing because I think he's a taller better finishing version of Scoot.

offset formation
05-03-2023, 09:36 PM
Bro, I’m fine with people not in favor of Scoot. The only thing I took issue with is your claim that the people who like Scoot are in some sort of group think when there are a few like me who actually spend time (a lot of time) to watch these guys.

Fair enough. I suppose that was a tad unfair. I just question the narrative that's been around for months as though it came from on high that it was Wembanyama then Scoot. I just see lots of flaws in his game. I'll concede he could develop past some or most of them. It's just not likely. And given this team's overall biggest deficit is defensively, I just can't justify taking a dude who's clearly not elite or really even average sometimes. He has periods of complete inattention defensively that remind me of Lonnie. We have no roblem scoring but this team loses games defensively. That has to change.

TD 21
05-03-2023, 11:16 PM
Fair enough. I suppose that was a tad unfair. I just question the narrative that's been around for months as though it came from on high that it was Wembanyama then Scoot. I just see lots of flaws in his game. I'll concede he could develop past some or most of them. It's just not likely. And given this team's overall biggest deficit is defensively, I just can't justify taking a dude who's clearly not elite or really even average sometimes. He has periods of complete inattention defensively that remind me of Lonnie. We have no roblem scoring but this team loses games defensively. That has to change.

The Spurs finished 29th offensively and are the only team without a current or projected future offensive centerpiece.

Henderson has the physical tools to minimally be a non liability defensively, which is fine, especially in a PG and projected offensive engine.

offset formation
05-03-2023, 11:58 PM
The Spurs finished 29th offensively and are the only team without a current or projected future offensive centerpiece.

Henderson has the physical tools to minimally be a non liability defensively, which is fine, especially in a PG and projected offensive engine.

Now tell me about the defensive side...and where they rank.

Of course we need to get better offensively, but the defensive showing over the last several years has been progressively worse, culminating in last years historic ineptitude.

As far as what Scoot will bring to the table, I'm just not I'm agreement at all that he's the piece we need to turn the cornet. First he's been abysmal defensively and secondly, he's an average passer, average to above average finisher, and poor from midrange and beyond. So teams in the NBA will just play off of him and under the screen unless and until he makes them pay for it. And he's a high usage player so he HAS to score to be worthy of a spot on the floor, rather than part of a team flow.

Again, we're just gonna see this differently, and that's OK.

scott
05-04-2023, 01:45 AM
For those who actually like Scoot - what do you see as an upside comp? Prime Marbury? DRose? I’m just trying to understand the player.

ambchang
05-04-2023, 06:02 AM
I wouldn’t put so much emphasis on stats when referencing impact.

Robinson took 26-56 to 56-26.

Obviously there were other trades but that would be the bar for impact.

I do think Wemby very well could take a lotto team to the playoffs. So I’m not completely dismissive of your point.

21-61 ibelieve. It was a 35 game turnaround the highest turnaround until Duncan’s rookie season. Then the Garnett Allen Pierce Celtics.

mo7888
05-04-2023, 06:10 AM
For those who actually like Scoot - what do you see as an upside comp? Prime Marbury? DRose? I’m just trying to understand the player.

He's a bigger framed, more athletic Tony Parker with better form and likely will become a better outside shooter than TP.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-04-2023, 06:13 AM
he's an average passer
nope

average to above average finisher
nope

poor from midrange
nope

BacktoBasics
05-04-2023, 08:48 AM
21-61 ibelieve. It was a 35 game turnaround the highest turnaround until Duncan’s rookie season. Then the Garnett Allen Pierce Celtics.

I just looked. Yeah you're correct. My bad.

The Truth #6
05-04-2023, 08:58 AM
To me, it’s getting to the point where it feels odd to not even consider Scoot as an option if he’s available. To flip things around, there are potentials for bust if we play it safe and get basically a role player. Specifically, if we draft Hendricks, I could see that it’s sort of being like Atlanta drafting DeAndre Hunter (a 3 and D guy) and then getting upset later when he’s not a star. The expectation is to get a star. I think it’s difficult to dissuade people from that. And if they decided to get Amen I might even like that better: develop him while we likely get another high lottery pick next year.

exstatic
05-04-2023, 09:08 AM
To me, it’s getting to the point where it feels odd to not even consider Scoot as an option if he’s available. To flip things around, there are potentials for bust if we play it safe and get basically a role player. Specifically, if we draft Hendricks, I could see that it’s sort of being like Atlanta drafting DeAndre Hunter (a 3 and D guy) and then getting upset later when he’s not a star. The expectation is to get a star. I think it’s difficult to dissuade people from that. And if they decided to get Amen I might even like that better: develop him while we likely get another high lottery pick next year.

There's more room for error with a 6'9" guy than a 6'1" guy. Guys like Scoot have to be elite shooters AND elite finishers to be worth building around. Bigger players can have one or the other and still create mismatches.

rascal
05-04-2023, 09:42 AM
There's more room for error with a 6'9" guy than a 6'1" guy. Guys like Scoot have to be elite shooters AND elite finishers to be worth building around. Bigger players can have one or the other and still create mismatches.

Scoot is 6'2" While Henderson does lack height at 6-foot-2, his athleticism, strength and 6-foot-9 wingspan make up for it.

The Spurs are still going to have to add another star to the current team(top 10 league player) in the future with anyone they draft.

Mr. Body
05-04-2023, 10:09 AM
He's a bigger framed, more athletic Tony Parker with better form and likely will become a better outside shooter than TP.

I really dislike the Parker comparison. Parker was ultra-fast, one of the fastest players we've seen. He also circulated the floor, probing and moving through the lane, although that's what he was coached to do.

Henderson is more explosive vertically but not nearly as fast, but then who is. Henderson is more of a pound-the-ball, assess-the-floor before making a straight drive probing for a shot or kick out kind of player. He is really built for a kid his age, or any age.

That type of player is Marbury. It's Steve Francis. He's even built closer to Steve Francis. And I don't mean that in a bad way. When those players were good, they were very good.

rjv
05-04-2023, 10:25 AM
I'd like to see the spurs continue to: 1) add length to the roster, 2) add more players that are capable of playing off ball and with the ball in their hands 3) scorers and 4) shooters. but at some point they will need a solid big (and i'm not so sure that wemba addresses that need-he certainly won't be playing at the 5 spot).

Ariel
05-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Okay, so what I'm saying is that getting a guy in that tier is worth way more than getting a good fit.
Lets not resort to "superstar" semantics, all those raising concerns about Scoot's ceiling don't think he'll be Ja (big difference with Fox there) whether you think he's a superstar or not. If you think he'll be at that level, you take Scoot no questions asked, whether you consider Ja to be a superstar or not (I do). But Ja's ability to get to the rim and finishing is LIGHT YEARS away from Scoot, and he's not likely to ever get even close. His shooting is more likely to improve, but far from a given. All of that puts into question not his ability to be a good NBA player, but his ultimate ceiling, which is what you're looking for in a hypothetical #2 pick. As far as I'm concerned I have no problem taking Scoot there, I could see him becoming a De'Aaron Fox type player (maybe), but I've come down from regarding him as a franchise caliber PG prospect in the Derrick Rose, Westbrook, Wall tier. That's all.

mo7888
05-04-2023, 12:18 PM
I really dislike the Parker comparison. Parker was ultra-fast, one of the fastest players we've seen. He also circulated the floor, probing and moving through the lane, although that's what he was coached to do.

Henderson is more explosive vertically but not nearly as fast, but then who is. Henderson is more of a pound-the-ball, assess-the-floor before making a straight drive probing for a shot or kick out kind of player. He is really built for a kid his age, or any age.

That type of player is Marbury. It's Steve Francis. He's even built closer to Steve Francis. And I don't mean that in a bad way. When those players were good, they were very good.

I think Henderson's speed is comparable to Tony's. I do agree that Henderson is more of a pound the air out of the ball player right now, but I dont think that will be his game in our system. I think he'll be much closer to Parker style-wise here. He'll use his speed off the ball on cuts to the basket and Sochan is the most likely facilitator on those plays. Of course, all this is dependent on how coachable Scoot is. I lean towards him being coachable because of our perceived interest. I think that's something we value greatly and if he doesn't possess that he won't be the pick..

The Truth #6
05-04-2023, 01:30 PM
Yeah, how coachable a player projects to be is likely a huge factor in who they choose out of these top picks, which sort of deflates 99% of all of our bloviating here, but, hey, gotta talk about something.

Chinook
05-04-2023, 01:38 PM
Lets not resort to "superstar" semantics, all those raising concerns about Scoot's ceiling don't think he'll be Ja (big difference with Fox there) whether you think he's a superstar or not. If you think he'll be at that level, you take Scoot no questions asked, whether you consider Ja to be a superstar or not (I do). But Ja's ability to get to the rim and finishing is LIGHT YEARS away from Scoot, and he's not likely to ever get even close. His shooting is more likely to improve, but far from a given. All of that puts into question not his ability to be a good NBA player, but his ultimate ceiling, which is what you're looking for in a hypothetical #2 pick. As far as I'm concerned I have no problem taking Scoot there, I could see him becoming a De'Aaron Fox type player (maybe), but I've come down from regarding him as a franchise caliber PG prospect in the Derrick Rose, Westbrook, Wall tier. That's all.

This isn't semantics. It's basically the opposite. I already said I basically have no opinion on Scoot in terms of how he should rate. I don't care what you call superstar. My point is that talent trumps fit, even talent with attitude or whatever. If you don't think Scoot has that talent, fair enough. But if you think he does but feel like his flaws somehow make him a worse pick than a guy you expect to be a role-player, that's where I disagree.

Mr. Body
05-04-2023, 02:12 PM
I was going to say Baron Davis, other than the outside shot. Davis also wasn't a plus plus athlete but he had strength.

spurraider21
05-04-2023, 02:25 PM
steve francis is an interesting comp tbh

exstatic
05-04-2023, 03:26 PM
steve francis is an interesting comp tbh

Steve Francis was a shorter, no D version of DeJounte. He played 9 seasons, and totaled 54.1 WS. Not very interesting.

Silverheart80
05-04-2023, 03:54 PM

Agree. Creating mismatches is the key, especially if we're talking about a potential top-5 opportunity.

A 6' 3" guard "known for his crossover dribble, driving ability, and flashy dunks."

So far, I think we'd all agree that's a fairly accurate description of Scoot (except Scoot is listed as 6' 2"). Thing is, that's the Wiki career description for Steve Francis. Credit to Mr. Body for calling it first.

Francis was a super-flashy Rookie of the Year, three-time All-Star, who played in a career total of five playoff games, winning only one, before fizzling out with the Beijing Ducks. Fun to watch, but never feared, and in the end, forgettable. On top of that -- unlike Francis' era -- the future of the league's roster designs right now is gonna be dominated by players who are much taller than 6' 2", who can shoot threes and rotate across all five positions on defense (think Denver and the kind of design OKC is building). That's the kind of roster designs that will fight for les.

Scoot is too short to compete against those designs on defense. A 6' 9" wingspan isn't gonna save him, attached to a 6' 2" body. There's nowhere to hide him against starting rosters where offenses are initiated by guys who are 6' 9" and taller, and there will be more and more of those roster designs, coming soon. I can see why people would be hyped about Scoot, if they just want a flashy player who *maybe* snags an individual honor here or there. But if the goal is to win championships in the next 5-7 years -- no.

spurraider21
05-04-2023, 04:16 PM
Steve Francis was a shorter, no D version of DeJounte. He played 9 seasons, and totaled 54.1 WS. Not very interesting.
we're talking about stylistic comps, not career outcomes. im just trying to envision how he would look on an nba floor. comps are good for that purpose.

but if you want to get into career outcomes, you could do worse

his career WS/48 was higher than Ja Morant's as of now, higher than Jrue Holiday, and much higher than murray, if you want to prod through advanced stats (murray has only had one season with a better ws/48 than francis' career average)

TD 21
05-04-2023, 05:14 PM
Now tell me about the defensive side...and where they rank.

Of course we need to get better offensively, but the defensive showing over the last several years has been progressively worse, culminating in last years historic ineptitude.

As far as what Scoot will bring to the table, I'm just not I'm agreement at all that he's the piece we need to turn the cornet. First he's been abysmal defensively and secondly, he's an average passer, average to above average finisher, and poor from midrange and beyond. So teams in the NBA will just play off of him and under the screen unless and until he makes them pay for it. And he's a high usage player so he HAS to score to be worthy of a spot on the floor, rather than part of a team flow.

Again, we're just gonna see this differently, and that's OK.

30th. You said "we have no problem scoring" though, which is false.

If all it took to limit the effectiveness of his archetype was to go under, so many of them wouldn't have succeeded.

When you're as explosive as someone like him, you're capable of beating the defense to the other side and blowing past anyway, so it becomes almost like a runway that allows them to rev their engine.

I'm generally not a fan of his archetype and I'm not sold he'll necessarily be greater than All-Star caliber, but I am sold on it being a better chance than not that he attains that status.

scott
05-04-2023, 05:46 PM
Agree. Creating mismatches is the key, especially if we're talking about a potential top-5 opportunity.

A 6' 3" guard "known for his crossover dribble, driving ability, and flashy dunks."

So far, I think we'd all agree that's a fairly accurate description of Scoot (except Scoot is listed as 6' 2"). Thing is, that's the Wiki career description for Steve Francis. Credit to Mr. Body for calling it first.

Francis was a super-flashy Rookie of the Year, three-time All-Star, who played in a career total of five playoff games, winning only one, before fizzling out with the Beijing Ducks. Fun to watch, but never feared, and in the end, forgettable. On top of that -- unlike Francis' era -- the future of the league's roster designs right now is gonna be dominated by players who are much taller than 6' 2", who can shoot threes and rotate across all five positions on defense (think Denver and the kind of design OKC is building). That's the kind of roster designs that will fight for les.

Scoot is too short to compete against those designs on defense. A 6' 9" wingspan isn't gonna save him, attached to a 6' 2" body. There's nowhere to hide him against starting rosters where offenses are initiated by guys who are 6' 9" and taller, and there will be more and more of those roster designs, coming soon. I can see why people would be hyped about Scoot, if they just want a flashy player who *maybe* snags an individual honor here or there. But if the goal is to win championships in the next 5-7 years -- no.

Sounds like that would generally be a pretty successful draft pick, tbh. Sure, we want our Top 2 pick to become an MVP candidate, but let's face it - there is only so much room at the top of that mountain and if we are picking 2, I'd say ROY and 3-time all-star (in his first 5 years, like Francis) would be a pretty awesome outcome. The lack of playoff appearances and playoff wins is not ideal, but at some point we need to look at the team constructed around the player. One player alone cannot make a playoff team.

Edit: I'm not a Scoot stan or anything. Honestly I don't know jack about him other than what I'm mostly reading in this thread... but if you're telling me he is Steve Francis, that sure sounds a lot better than Anthony Black (who to me sounds like his upside is Derrick White). At the end of the day, we only get to pick from the players who are available when we pick and we should be evaluating those options against one another, not against comps we don't get to pick. So, if Stevie Francis is the comp... which prospect has reasonable upside (meaning within a decent probability of occurring, not the freak Giannis/Kawhi/Jokic perfect storm of development happening scenario) that is more attractive than that?

scott
05-04-2023, 05:56 PM
30th. You said "we have no problem scoring" though, which is false.

If all it took to limit the effectiveness of his archetype was to go under, so many of them wouldn't have succeeded.

When you're as explosive as someone like him, you're capable of beating the defense to the other side and blowing past anyway, so it becomes almost like a runway that allows them to rev their engine.

I'm generally not a fan of his archetype and I'm not sold he'll necessarily be greater than All-Star caliber, but I am sold on it being a better chance than not that he attains that status.

I think this is where a lot of ST is getting hung up. All-Star caliber would be a great draft pick, especially at #2! But the last 3 Spurs picked in the Top 7 (where we will be picking) all have their jersey hanging in the rafters, have rings on their fingers, and two of them are HOFers who are in the Top 25 Players of All-Time. These are big steps to follow. This pick will have more pressure on them to impact this franchise than any other rookie since David Robinson (I think Duncan had far less pressure since the Franchise was already a perennial WCF contender when healthy). Likewise, Spurs fans expectations and hopes aren't just for an All-Star caliber player (since we've found those with late FRPs and even SRPs), but for our next superstar face of the franchise. Those aren't realistic expectations though, and we should be pumped to land an All-Star caliber player.

duncan2150
05-06-2023, 06:53 PM
https://twitter.com/NoCeilingsNBA/status/1654943582975926274

offset formation
05-06-2023, 07:49 PM
https://twitter.com/NoCeilingsNBA/status/1654943582975926274

Very impressive conditioning.

Dejounte
05-15-2023, 06:27 PM
CsQ_lrsrZ8y

Bro training with a GOAT and will shut down critiques about his shooting fairly quickly tbh

Not many young players with connections to superstars like this

offset formation
05-15-2023, 06:59 PM
CsQ_lrsrZ8y

Bro training with a GOAT and will shut down critiques about his shooting fairly quickly tbh

He's Spud Webb.

tonight...you
05-15-2023, 07:02 PM
CsQ_lrsrZ8y

Boy, you really like Scoot!
I'm not as on board, but I respect your digging into prospects.
I just don't like lead players being itty bitty PG's despite his wingspan.
JMO

Dejounte
05-15-2023, 07:03 PM
He's Spud Webb.

and Bilal is Kawhi Leonard :lmao one of us is closer with these comps we’re throwing around and it ain’t you, my guy… no one is touching Bilal with a 20 ft pole if they had a top 5 pick, he likely won’t even get picked in the lottery. Like I said, dude is probably being picked in the second round. You are probably the only on the internet rating him this high. No disrespect, man. This banter is fun.

Dejounte
05-15-2023, 07:05 PM
Boy, you really like Scoot!
I'm not as on board, but I respect your digging into prospects.
I just don't like lead players being itty bitty PG's despite his wingspan.
JMO

Some folks were content with Tre being the future PG sometime during the season when he was having a good few games. It’s not hard to visualize someone like Scoot leading a team with his size. Plenty of stars do it right now.

tonight...you
05-15-2023, 07:31 PM
Some folks were content with Tre being the future PG sometime during the season when he was having a good few games. It’s not hard to visualize someone like Scoot leading a team with his size. Plenty of stars do it right now.
I agree with that, as long as he's not the Main Man in the long run, otherwise we're looking at a bunch of 2nd round exits at best otherwise.

offset formation
05-15-2023, 07:45 PM
and Bilal is Kawhi Leonard :lmao one of us is closer with these comps we’re throwing around and it ain’t you, my guy… no one is touching Bilal with a 20 ft pole if they had a top 5 pick, he likely won’t even get picked in the lottery. Like I said, dude is probably being picked in the second round. You are probably the only on the internet rating him this high. No disrespect, man. This banter is fun.

None taken, Holmes. I acknowledge my rating is higher than others but that's just because my skills need to be in a GM room somewhere :dramaquee. I feel like I've had a pretty good track record with taking the BPA over the years. For example, this past year, I wanted Mathurian above all else last year in what I hoped was in our feasibility range and was next up with Sochan and Ousmane Dieng. Mathurian showed he was the best behind Banchero and the other top picks. Sochan was the right pick for us. And my long shot, well, due to injury he didn't even play half the games and got only like 15 min I think per game. But on April 9th he finally got some run against the Grizzlies. Here was his stat line:

Apr 9 vs MEM
45 MIN
22 PTS
8-15 FG
8 REB
9 AST

Good players put up those kinds of stats. And I was waaay higher on him than many others. Let's see what the now 19 year old can do with more minutes if he stays healthy this year. I'd expect a come out year for him if he can stay healthy.

I'm telling you there's something special about him and I'd wholeheartedly disagree he'll slide to the 2nd. Utah is purportedly VERY high on him. OKC too. He's got something in his game bruv.

PhantomDashCam
05-15-2023, 08:12 PM
First off, I think Scoot (like many) is the clear #2 guy in this draft.
Just putting these stats out there as one of the reasons I think the Spurs will look at trading the #2 pick or select someone else if it were to happen.

Scoot:

Season
Tm
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

2022-23 (https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/years/2023.html)
GLI (https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/teams/GLI/2023.html)

Career

Tre Jones:

Season
Tm
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
2P
2PA
2P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

2020-21 (https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/years/2021.html)
AUS (https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/teams/AUS/2021.html)

Career

Yes, only a 7 game sample size for Tre, but the Spurs brass has gone on record as suggesting KJ and DV's improvements are partly attributable to him.

Ariel
05-15-2023, 09:00 PM

:lol Shooting touch isn't a virus you can catch by sitting next to someone. Its great that he's focused and working on improving, but it's a bit more complicated that that.

Dejounte
05-15-2023, 09:05 PM
:lol Shooting touch isn't a virus you can catch by sitting next to someone. Its great that he's focused and working on improving, but it's a bit more complicated that that.

Of course it’s not. If that’s what you think I tried to implied here, then I don’t know what to tell you. Click the right arrow, there’s more images of Scoot working out with Curry in attendance presumably there to teach him parts of the game. Don’t know why you have to act smug sometimes.

Ariel
05-15-2023, 09:17 PM
Of course it’s not. If that’s what you think I tried to implied here, then I don’t know what to tell you. Click the right arrow, there’s more images of Scoot working out with Curry in attendance presumably there to teach him parts of the game. Don’t know why you have to act smug sometimes.
That's not the way I meant it, my point is that, though I have no question on his determination (this is where his ego is channeled in a positive manner), there are legit questions concerning him that won't be resolved easily -if ever-. Nothing against him though, I have no doubts he's going to be at least a very good NBA player, just not 100% sold on him being able to meet expectations.

SpursGenius
05-16-2023, 08:12 AM
Scoot or Wemby would be fantastic. Big drop off after that.

timvp
05-16-2023, 12:40 PM
I'm mostly a believer in Scoot but I talked to someone today who is pretty low on him. His reasoning is that since Scoot's parents are basketball trainers who have been training him like an NBA player for 10+ years, Scoot doesn't have the typical upside remaining that a normal teenage prospect would have. He believes that at this point, Scoot is already at his basketball peak. He also said that he believes it's a red flag that all of Scoot's older siblings have suffered career-ending knee injuries because that's a sign that he probably received too much training too soon in his development. He views Scoot as the bigger injury risk than Wemby.

Tbh, I think some of that is unfair but it's interesting that there are skeptics in the NBA who are thinking this way . . .

Joseph Kony
05-16-2023, 12:42 PM
I'm mostly a believer in Scoot but I talked to someone today who is pretty low on him. His reasoning is that since Scoot's parents are basketball trainers who have been training him like an NBA player for 10+ years, Scoot doesn't have the typical upside remaining that a normal teenage prospect would have. He believes that at this point, Scoot is already at his basketball peak. He also said that he believes it's a red flag that all of Scoot's older siblings have suffered career-ending knee injuries because that's a sign that he probably received too much training too soon in his development. He views Scoot as the bigger injury risk than Wemby.

Tbh, I think some of that is unfair but it's interesting that there are skeptics in the NBA who are thinking this way . . .

is that someone Spurs-affiliated or just league-affiliated?

tbh those are legit concerns, but i have to lol at anyone thinking a 19 year old who hasnt played one minute on an NBA court is already at his basketball peak. thats just silly

Ariel
05-16-2023, 12:43 PM

Damn... really interesting take.

BatManu20
05-16-2023, 12:50 PM
Scoot seems destined to be a Spur to me. Idk why.

JPB
05-16-2023, 03:59 PM

That's why I don't want him, besides shooting, size and delusion, I don't see that much upside here, WYSIWYG. He didn't progress much during the season to such a point they had to shut it down not to hurt his brand. He never killed anything in the G League Ignite and was destroyed by Wemby in Vegas... Mostly living on the hype and a waste at #2 to me, he's not a game changer. The parent story is fitting, like he was forced into everybody's mind as a future great while nothing really shows that.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 04:19 PM
People here don’t want Scoot cause he can‘t shoot 3s well enough, but love Sochan and think he can become a 3-point shooter :lol you cant make this up

exstatic
05-16-2023, 04:21 PM
People here don’t want Scoot cause he can‘t shoot 3s well enough, but love Sochan and think he can become a 3-point shooter :lol you cant make this up

There are a lot more pathways for a 6'9" non or poor shooter to succeed in the NBA than for a 6'1" non or poor shooter.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2023, 04:22 PM
I'd trade the pick if we aren't #1. I wouldn't build my franchise around Scoot or Miller.

DPG21920
05-16-2023, 04:41 PM

What’s wild is how old the other guys are after Wemby/Scoot :lol Miller and Amen are freaking 20! Cam Whitmore looking more attractive by the minute tbh..