05-02-2023, 06:23 PM
:wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqihdtpB3Hc&ab_channel=A.M.Hoops

slick'81
05-02-2023, 06:28 PM
Hes going to look great in silver N black

JPB
05-02-2023, 07:23 PM
Barkley and this clown trying to look smart but looking totally clueless. Garnett, Kobe and Howard were HS kids who had never play any pro game before entering the NBA... Wemby will have played more than 100 games as a pro against adults being drafted (french league, euro competition, NT games).

He'll be ready and productive from day 1.

MarCowMar
05-02-2023, 07:34 PM
It'll be fascinating if his trainers actually develop a method to keep him healthy. Could be the template for other irregular bigs.

Arcadian
05-02-2023, 08:29 PM
I'm not watching that video. What does it say?

Mr. Body
05-02-2023, 08:34 PM

Oui fromage le petit dejouner je suis chaud un chien vert non non non

offset formation
05-02-2023, 08:42 PM

Undercuts his status as a shoe-in #1 pick and then proceeds to say like 5 times, "I'm not saying I wouldn't take him #1..."

Bullet points:
-- Worse 3 pt shooter than media says
-- injury history
-- potentially injury prone (historical conparisons)
-- diva
-- entitled
-- possibly aloof / not a good teammate
-- afraid of competition
-- not strong enough to battle down low

Final suggestion: Draft him #1.

offset formation
05-02-2023, 08:51 PM

Translation: "Yes cheese breakfast I'm hot a green dog no no no"

for those non polyglots among us...:rollin

scott
05-02-2023, 10:39 PM
Fucked up looking feet that none of needed to see.

Know who else has fucked up looking feet that none of us need to see? Lebron (don't look it up, it's gross). And he's at worst the second greatest player of all time.

So, confirmation that Wemby will be great.

Teamduncan21
05-03-2023, 12:45 AM
Click bait video?

Rocalcio
05-03-2023, 02:54 AM

Ah ouais t’es bilingue toi !

Rocalcio
05-03-2023, 02:57 AM
Nothing is hidden by the media in what this jerk points out, and he’s actually mostly wrong, it’s just laughable… But please, other FO, have a look at it and believe him. ��

Brazil
05-03-2023, 06:03 AM

:lol your french is awesome tbh... Bravo !

exstatic
05-03-2023, 06:05 AM
If his feet really looked like that, Tony and Boris wouldn’t have encouraged the Spurs to tank for him.

spursparker9
05-03-2023, 06:16 AM

7'3 and above are injury prone based on past data

Take Scoot Henderson is better

exstatic
05-03-2023, 06:18 AM
7'3 and above are injury prone based on past data

Take Scoot Henderson is better

There have been no 7’3” guys who played on the perimeter before.

Dex
05-03-2023, 07:51 AM
I think the risk is there, but you have to take it if you are able. His ceiling is way above Scoot's.

My only fear is he becomes the next Zion. Obviously Zion is a very different case (undersized and overweight and only knows how to play above the rim)....but when he was drafted so many people were like "He's just an athletic freak! He'll be the next LeBron" and instead he has only played in like 46% of possible games.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 08:32 AM
I think the risk is there, but you have to take it if you are able. His ceiling is way above Scoot's.

My only fear is he becomes the next Zion. Obviously Zion is a very different case (undersized and overweight and only knows how to play above the rim)....but when he was drafted so many people were like "He's just an athletic freak! He'll be the next LeBron" and instead he has only played in like 46% of possible games.

There's also some thought that he's "Kawhi-ing" the Pelicans.

lefty
05-03-2023, 08:40 AM
:lol your french is awesome tbh... Bravo !
Yours too!!!!!

Dex
05-03-2023, 08:45 AM

Would not surprise me...New Orleans does not have a great track record of holding onto their stars

Seventyniner
05-03-2023, 08:51 AM

Know who else has fucked up looking feet that none of us need to see? Lebron (don't look it up, it's gross). And he's at worst the second greatest player of all time.

iirc Shaq's feet are also pretty abnormal looking.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2023, 10:05 AM

I thought Morant was the better choice at 1 back in that draft. Granted, Morant's own issues have since materialized, but I do think durability has to be a major consideration. Instinct told me then that Zion's inability to stay in shape would haunt him during his career and keep him injury prone.

The Spurs not getting #1 would be fine with me in that it may end up being a blessing in disguise in this case. 7'2" seems to be the pinnacle height before a human body just can't take the pounding. Wemby appears to be a physical freak, and you can't pass him at 1, but I do fear nagging injuries for someone that tall.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-03-2023, 10:10 AM

I don't get the impression that his injuries are fake or on the flip-side, chronic. I think he's just a fat-ass who, as a result, is injury-prone. Kawhi capitalized on a reputation as one of the top talents in the NBA and didn't have a "history" of injury, yet, when he left the Spurs. AD was regarded as one of the league's best players when he asked out of New Orleans. Zion has proven nothing so far. I'm not sure what he'd gain by bolting at this point. Maybe win or show something before you put on your prima donna hat. Other than ESPN-hype, Zion hasn't shown he's got any ability to carry a team anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just a weird strategy at this point in his career if true.

slick'81
05-03-2023, 10:13 AM
iirc Shaq's feet are also pretty abnormal looking.

ever see mutombos?!:lol

adonis827
05-03-2023, 11:43 AM

où est la file d'attente du buffet

learn french in 10 minutes

Mr. Body
05-03-2023, 12:03 PM
I don't get the impression that his injuries are fake or on the flip-side, chronic. I think he's just a fat-ass who, as a result, is injury-prone. Kawhi capitalized on a reputation as one of the top talents in the NBA and didn't have a "history" of injury, yet, when he left the Spurs. AD was regarded as one of the league's best players when he asked out of New Orleans. Zion has proven nothing so far. I'm not sure what he'd gain by bolting at this point. Maybe win or show something before you put on your prima donna hat. Other than ESPN-hype, Zion hasn't shown he's got any ability to carry a team anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just a weird strategy at this point in his career if true.

Yeah, I agree here. I don't know where Zion is trying to force himself to and it feels like he'd have to actually demonstrate value in order to leverage himself.

Instead he's just a fat boi with knees that bow out like a toddler's. He got hurt at Duke, he got hurt after Duke, he's gonna keep getting hurt because of fat boi pressure on knees that keep moving outward. His whole leg system takes pressure it probably shouldn't.

Chomag
05-03-2023, 12:39 PM
Yes yes, Detroit and Houston yall don't want this trash pick!!!

Chomag
05-03-2023, 12:43 PM
Did we ever see David Robinson's feet tbh?

Leetonidas
05-03-2023, 12:46 PM

James harden has some pretty disgusting feet as well

baseline bum
05-03-2023, 01:02 PM
I kind of agree with the video that it's pretty weak he didn't go play Euroleague and even decided to leave Asvel for a worse team, in comparison to Doncic who was the best player in Euroleague at that age. I'm still taking him #1 but would have been nice to see him playing against high end competition.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 01:09 PM
I kind of agree with the video that it's pretty weak he didn't go play Euroleague and even decided to leave Asvel for a worse team, in comparison to Doncic who was the best player in Euroleague at that age. I'm still taking him #1 but would have been nice to see him playing against high end competition.

ASVEL wasn’t a good development Environment to prepare for the NBA. They were a better team in win now mode.

spurraider21
05-03-2023, 01:23 PM
oh yeah. the media nEVER discusses injury concerns for wemby lmao. its in every article about him

spurraider21
05-03-2023, 01:26 PM
ASVEL wasn’t a good development Environment to prepare for the NBA. They were a better team in win now mode.
real madrid was a good team in win now mode and doncic thrived there

Rocalcio
05-03-2023, 01:48 PM

Wemby’s team is second in the French championship, he’s playing for a good team… They’re actually ahead of ASVEL. He just wanted to limit the number of played games for the season in order to prepare his body for the NBA, which is pretty wise.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 01:58 PM

Doncic isn't 7'4" with spider feet. There are legitimate injury prevention and conditioning reasons to play for Metropolitans92. He's probably going to have to limit playing time in the NBA in terms of games or at least minutes in his first season.

Alain
05-03-2023, 01:59 PM

Can't compare. Madrid was garanteed a playoff spot with or without Doncic and it was easier to make room for him. ASVEL, on the other hand, is struggling in Euroleague with a coach (Tony's brother) who's desperatly seeking for accolades and validation. Tony was upset by Victor decision to leave, saying he would have played more in his second year, but I think being the focal point in Paris, even if the competition is of lower level, is a good way to prepare him for his future responsabilities.

Brazil
05-03-2023, 04:03 PM

There is a big difference there... Victor has great work ethic

Brazil
05-03-2023, 04:19 PM

There is a large consensus in France that Victor made the right choice to play for the Metropolitans.

During his last season with ASVEL he had a lot of injuries, he wanted less games to focus on his health one year prior draft and be the centerpiece of a team. You add the fact he did not have a good relation with TJ Parker and he wanted to be closer to his family before moving to US, his decision makes a lot of sense.

To top it of Metropolitans president is Boris... how can you say no to Boris ?

:bobo

Also the comparison with Luka is quite dumb imho, Luka does not have to deal with a freak body. Some will call Victor choices weak I call them smart.

tim_duncan_fan
05-03-2023, 07:23 PM
I'm so scared of picking number one just for this guy to get hurt immediately.

exstatic
05-03-2023, 08:39 PM

Scared money don’t make none. He’s the surest thing since LeBron, so you roll those dice.

illusioNtEk
05-03-2023, 08:49 PM
Scared money don’t make none. He’s the surest thing since LeBron, so you roll those dice.

I am scard aswell that he will be injury prone..... How sure are you that he will be tradeable within a few years if he sucks? Can we get anything out of him should he be injured all the time?

K...
05-03-2023, 09:30 PM

can't be worse then greg oden . and wemby will be a ref protected prospect day one. the playoffs might get ugly. guys like zaza aren't around as much. but who knows what the spurs medical team is like post scumbag

offset formation
05-03-2023, 09:43 PM
I am scard aswell that he will be injury prone..... How sure are you that he will be tradeable within a few years if he sucks? Can we get anything out of him should he be injured all the time?

If he gets a serious injury we'll just be back in the tank mode. No guarantees man. It's just a no brainer pick.

#2 - #5 though?

That shit terrifies me if I'm a GM.

barakz21
05-03-2023, 11:36 PM
There is a large consensus in France that Victor made the right choice to play for the Metropolitans.

During his last season with ASVEL he had a lot of injuries, he wanted less games to focus on his health one year prior draft and be the centerpiece of a team. You add the fact he did not have a good relation with TJ Parker and he wanted to be closer to his family before moving to US, his decision makes a lot of sense.

To top it of Metropolitans president is Boris... how can you say no to Boris ?

:bobo

Also the comparison with Luka is quite dumb imho, Luka does not have to deal with a freak body. Some will call Victor choices weak I call them smart.

Boris as in THE Boris Diaw? Dear old Bobo?

Brazil
05-04-2023, 06:23 AM
Boris as in THE Boris Diaw? Dear old Bobo?

Yes the coffee machine in the lock room guy :bobo

barakz21
05-04-2023, 07:13 AM
Yes the coffee machine in the lock room guy :bobo

Huh. Good for him! Who would’ve thought Bobo would do something like that, seeing as he’s such a carefree person. Still, I think he’s a good fit for it seeing as he was such a high bball IQ player.

jjspur
05-04-2023, 07:59 AM

Sure, he's the best since Lebron, if Lebron doesn't step on him like he did on Chet "ow my foot" Holmgren.

Mr. Body
05-04-2023, 10:03 AM
Sure, he's the best since Lebron, if Lebron doesn't step on him like he did on Chet "ow my foot" Holmgren.

Did he even step on him? I thought they just bumped into each other on a fast break and Boom, Holmgren was done for the year.

Ariel
05-04-2023, 10:29 AM
Wemby made the right decision by doing what was best for his career long term: prioritizing his development over going to a better team to win now, which is exactly why I find ironic that people keep bringing up the Spurs should go all in the second he arrives to appease his competitive nature, when he did the exact opposite of that for his career.
The Spurs should not deviate from their own best interest to appease anybody, which is organic grow for one or two more of seasons and prioritizing development. That doesn't mean scraping the bottom of the barrel, you can still sign a couple interesting vets here and there while playing the youngsters and teaching, and searching for opportunities.

jjspur
05-04-2023, 10:39 AM
Did he even step on him? I thought they just bumped into each other on a fast break and Boom, Holmgren was done for the year.
On video its a bit difficult to tell, step on foot or a big bump. What we do actually know, is that it caused Holmgren to miss a year of his career.

Do you really think that Lebron who questions pretty much all fouls on him, even the truly obvious ones, would admit to stepping on a player half his weight and ruining his rookie season ?

John B
05-04-2023, 12:02 PM
His feet look like Kermit. I wonder if he’s a natural swimmer like Timmy :lol

Somebody mentioned his relationship with TP wasn’t that great? Where did that come from? I know TP could be pushy when it comes to winning (i.e. comment on Kawhi taking too long to recover), it being his club and all maybe? Was TP trying to push Wemby to play harder maybe?

But I’m sure the Spurs would be patient for the long term

spurraider21
05-04-2023, 01:42 PM
this reads more like a giant red flag than words of encouragement

Alain
05-04-2023, 03:33 PM

Somebody mentioned his relationship with TP wasn’t that great? Where did that come from? I know TP could be pushy when it comes to winning (i.e. comment on Kawhi taking too long to recover), it being his club and all maybe? Was TP trying to push Wemby to play harder maybe?

The relationship was good enough until Victor decided to leave. There was an agreement that he would stay with ASVEL this season and would be given more playing time and responsabilities, helping the team to fulfill their Euroleague playoffs quest. So you can understand why Tony is a bit bitter now.
Word is Victor was not fully happy with the coaching (TJ Parker) but I don't think it's the main reason why he left.

Man In Black
05-04-2023, 07:28 PM
Greetings, ST...

I just want to point out that it's a fallacy that players above 7-3 are all an injury risk. One can easily say that because Zion, Kawhi, and Paul George, were injured for the playoffs, that players under 6-9 are injury risks.

Someone provided a list of all players 7-3 and above and told me that there is a high likelihood that because Wenbenyama is above that height, he's totally an injury risk. Is he though?

I will include a photo of the list and also, I point out that Lew Alcindor came into the NBA at 7-2 215 lbs never playing a weight higher than 225 lbs.

It's a LONG read but the logic shows... Just because you are tall, that doesn't mean you are going to suffer injuries. A LOT OF IT IS HOW ONE PLAYS. Since VW has a Jump Shot, he could lessen his time in the paint for punishment. Plus, he's more likely the OUTER POST in a Pop Offense. It means that Pop will have Collins or whatever FA Big he gets, should the Spurs win the VW Draft Lottery.

https://postimg.cc/nXqz57Qf

It is missing lots of relevant data to help one determine if injuries are the reason these 7-3 players had their careers cut short. (TLDR-Many did not, they just weren't good enough to stick at the NBA Level)

I've listed how many seasons each has played plus games started and then included average minutes played.

If they started a lot of games, they were relevant. If they averaged more than 20 Minutes Per Game, then that also made them relevant.

The bulk of your list shows many of the players weren't relevant. And it wasn't due to injury. It was simply because they weren't good enough/didn't fit in the NBA. You can see all of them with the listing of MINUSCULE CAREER.

Your list is predicated by them simply being 7-3 and above. But alas, the NBA requires more than simply being tall and some of these players did not fulfill those criteria.

When context is added, one could learn so much more about the players on this list and if they had any sort of real game that made them RELEVANT AND if their injuries ACTUALLY cut short their careers.

Since you didn't provide that, I took the time to do that work to prove my point. Your list by itself is pretty weak and the logic using that list without context is weak as well.

I added a + Score if they were INJURY PLAYERS and a - Score if they were NOT INJURY PLAYERS.

Again, the only one’s worth talking about are those who ARE NOT labeled with MINUSCULE CAREERS.

Then we have more of a discussion.

HERE ARE ALL THE PLAYERS FROM THAT LIST YOU PROVIDED:

Gheorghe Muresan 7-7 303 lbs (Slow-Plodder)
6 Seasons Played
307 Games Total and Started 207 Games.
21.9 Minutes Per Game Average.
Decent Career Cut Short by Back and Knee Injuries
(Injuries happened a lot with him so he's an Injury guy (+1))
Okay Career

Manute Bol 7-7 200 lbs (Ectomorph)
12 Seasons Played 624 Games Total and Started 133 Games.
18.7 Minutes Per Game Average.
12 Seasons and then went on to play in Italy.
(Not an Injury guy (-1))
Good Career

Tacko Fall 7-6 311 lbs (Slow-Plodder)
3 Seasons Played
37 Games Total and Started 1 Game.
6.2 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an injury guy, just a bad fit. Was out of the league this season (-2))
Minuscule Career

Slavko Vranes 7-6 275 lbs (Slow Plodder)
1 Season Played 1 Game Total and didn't do anything.
(Not an injury guy (-3))
Minuscule Career

Shawn Bradley 7-6 235 lbs. (Ectomorph)
14 Seasons Played 832 Games Total and Started 484 Games.
23.5 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Had injury issues but 14 seasons is pretty solid. But I will say he's an Injury Guy (+2))
Good Career

Yao Ming 7-6 310 lbs (Slow Plodder)
9 Seasons Played 486 Games Total and Started 476 Games.
32.5 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Lost a whole season due to foot issues and that eventually ended his career. Injury guy (3+))
Good Career

Chuck Nevitt 7-5 217 lbs (Ectomorph)
9 Seasons Played 155 Games Total and Started 0 Games.
5.3 Minutes Per Game Average.
(A career backup and not an injury guy (-4))
Minuscule Career

Pavel Podkolzin 7-5 260 lbs (Slow Plodder)
2 Seasons Played
6 Games Total and Started 0 Games.
4.7 Minutes Per Game Average
(Not an injury guy (-5))
Minuscule Career

Sim Bhullar 7-5 360 lbs (Slow Plodder)
1 Season Played 3 Games Total and Started 0 Games.
1.0 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an injury guy (-6))
Minuscule Career

Mark Eaton 7-4 275 lbs (Slow Plodder)
11 Seasons Played 875 Games Total and Started 815 Games.
28.8 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an injury guy (-7))
Solid Career

Rik Smits 7-4 250 lbs (Mobile Big)
12 Seasons Played 867 Games Total and Started 792 Games.
26.6 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an injury guy (-8))
Solid Career

Ralph Sampson 7-4 228 lbs (Ectomorph)
10 Seasons Played 456 Games Total and Started 363 Games.
29.8 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Injury guy with chronic issues starting in his 4th season (+4))
Good Career Cut Short by Injury

Boban Marjanovic 7-4 290 lbs (Slow Plodder)
8 Seasons Played 317 Games Total and Started 25 Games.
8.9 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Career Backup and not an injury guy (-9))
Good Career still active

Priest Lauderdale 7-4 325 lbs (Slow Plodder)
2 Seasons Played 74 Games Total and Started 0 Games.
7.1 Minutes Per Game Average. (Not an Injury Guy (-10))
Minuscule Career

Peter John Ramos 7-3.5 275 lbs (Slow Plodder)
1 Season Played 6 Games Total and Started 0 Games.
3.3 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-11))
Minuscule Career

Randy Breur 7-3 230 lbs (Mobile Big)
11 Seasons Played 681 Games Total and Started 285 Games.
18.4 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-12))
Good Career

Zydrunas Ilgauskas 7-3 232 lbs (Slow Plodder)
13 Seasons Played 843 Games Total and Started 724 Games.
27.2 Minutes Per Game Average. (He had injuries at the start of his career, but he finished his last few seasons as a solid role player.
(Not an Injury Guy (-13))
Good Career

Arvydas Sabonis 7-3 279 lbs (Slow Plodder) 7
7 Seasons Played 470 Games Total and Started 314 Games.
24.2 Minutes Per Game Average. (He too had injuries at the start of his career Overseas in Lithuania and Spain, but he finished his last few seasons at Portland as a solid role player.
(Not an Injury Guy (-14))
Good Career

Hasheem Thabeet 7-3 260 lbs (Somewhat Mobile Big)
5 Seasons Played 224 Games Total and Started 20 Games.
10.5 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-15))
Minuscule Career

Swede Holbrook 7-3 235 lbs (Slow Plodder)
2 Seasons Played 143 Games Total and Started 0 Games.
14.3 Minutes Per Game Average.
The only player on this list that I never got a chance to see play live. He last played in 1962.
(Not an Injury Guy (-16))
Minuscule Career

Keith Closs 7-3 212 lbs (Ectomorph)
3 Seasons Played 130 Games Total and Started 7 Games.
12.7 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-17))
Minuscule Career

Ha Seung-Jin 7-3 305 lbs (Slow Plodder)
2 Seasons Played 46 Games Total and Started 4 Games.
6.9 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-18))
Minuscule Career

Aleksandr Radojevic 7-3 250 lbs (Slow Plodder)
2 Seasons Played 15 Games Total and Started 6 Games.
10.1 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-19))
Minuscule Career

Walter Taveres 7-3 260 lbs (Slow Plodder)
2 Seasons Played 13 Games Total and Started 0 Games.
7.8 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-20))

Tibor Pleiß 7-3 256 lbs (Slow Plodder)
1 Season Played 12 Games Total and Started 0 Games.
6.8 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-21))
Minuscule Career

Kristaps Porzingis 7-3 240 lbs. (Mobile Big)
8 Seasons Played 402 Games Total and Started 401 Games.
31.1 Minutes Per Game Average.
(He missed a full year due to ACL Tear. But for the most part he's been mostly on than off and is a core player for Washington. However, I will place him as an Injury Guy (+5))
Good Career Still Active

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 7-2 225 lbs. (Mobile Big)
20 Seasons Played 1560 Games Total and Started 1560 Games.
36.8 Minutes Per Game Average.
(Not an Injury Guy (-22))
Hall of Fame Career

CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING, DETAILS MATTER.

wildbill2u
05-05-2023, 03:24 AM
I wonder if the foot injury malady isn't more related to the actual construction of the feet and arches, rather than height. You don't have to be a giant to have chronic feet problems because of fallen arches or whatever. Almost Every pro basketball player is, by definition, something of a freak of nature in regards to average height and with that extra size also comes extra weight compared to the rest of the population. So these are BIG MEN. But the pounding and stress that comes with running that court back and forth along with jumping to maximum height levels is going to take its toll on feet that have something of a construction problem. I suppose that Bill Walton is one of the most well-known players whose feet problems led to a less than maximum potential career. And there is the controversy on his actual height being over 6'11''. I doubt it would throw him into the 7'3" range, but he is one of the bigs who had chronic foot problems.

JPB
05-05-2023, 04:34 AM
Greetings, ST...

I just want to point out that it's a fallacy that players above 7-3 are all an injury risk. One can easily say that because Zion, Kawhi, and Paul George, were injured for the playoffs, that players under 6-9 are injury risks.

Someone provided a list of all players 7-3 and above and told me that there is a high likelihood that because Wenbenyama is above that height, he's totally an injury risk. Is he though?

I will include a photo of the list and also, I point out that Lew Alcindor came into the NBA at 7-2 215 lbs never playing a weight higher than 225 lbs.

It's a LONG read but the logic shows... Just because you are tall, that doesn't mean you are going to suffer injuries. A LOT OF IT IS HOW ONE PLAYS. Since VW has a Jump Shot, he could lessen his time in the paint for punishment. Plus, he's more likely the OUTER POST in a Pop Offense. It means that Pop will have Collins or whatever FA Big he gets, should the Spurs win the VW Draft Lottery.

All the euro guys in that list have only their NBA career taken into account...

- Muresan indeed played 6 years in the NBA but played 2 years in Europe before.
- Arvydas Sabonis played 14 years in Europe before his 7 seasons in the NBA.
- Tibor Pleiß sure only played one year in the NBA but is still active in his 16 year career and counting...
- Aleksandar Radojević sure only played 2 seasons in the NBA but had a 17 year career or so.
- Zydrunas Ilgauskas had a 17 year career. too.

Rocalcio
05-05-2023, 09:15 AM

Not TP but TJ, his brother, who coaches ASVEL.

John B
05-05-2023, 10:24 AM
Not TP but TJ, his brother, who coaches ASVEL.

Thanks. I know Wemby would be cautious of his health in preparation for the draft. But I would understand TJ’s position as a coach trying to win games. I would expect Wemby to still be competitive unless they were exhibition games.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-05-2023, 12:24 PM
CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING, DETAILS MATTER.[/b]

Smits, Yao, Sabonis (who was at the tail end of his career), and Porzingis are the only guys over 7'2" in the history of the NBA who were impact players (not role players) with the ability to lead a team who you list as not injury prone. Yao (and a young Sabonis) are the two who would qualify as franchise players. Yao really only had 4 seasons that weren't marred by injury (seasons he appeared in 60 or more games), so leaves Sabonis as the one super tall player over 7'2" who could sustain himself as the center of the franchise, and with him playing most of his career with shorter Euro seasons his durability is speculative. I'm not sure your list paints a rosy picture. In fact I'd argue the opposite.

scott
05-05-2023, 03:48 PM
Smits, Yao, Sabonis (who was at the tail end of his career), and Porzingis are the only guys over 7'2" in the history of the NBA who were impact players (not role players) with the ability to lead a team who you list as not injury prone. Yao (and a young Sabonis) are the two who would qualify as franchise players. Yao really only had 4 seasons that weren't marred by injury (seasons he appeared in 60 or more games), so leaves Sabonis as the one super tall player over 7'2" who could sustain himself as the center of the franchise, and with him playing most of his career with shorter Euro seasons his durability is speculative. I'm not sure your list paints a rosy picture. In fact I'd argue the opposite.

Yeah, showing us a bunch of tall scrubs who never got hurt before the league spit them out isn't exactly compelling evidence of anything.

Proxy
05-05-2023, 05:06 PM
Translation: "Yes cheese breakfast I'm hot a green dog no no no"

for those non polyglots among us...:rollin
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e0/d5/3f/e0d53fbac7cbd52bf671f9a18692b647.jpg

Man In Black
05-06-2023, 01:23 AM
Yeah, showing us a bunch of tall scrubs who never got hurt before the league spit them out isn't exactly compelling evidence of anything.

AGREED! That list was what someone used to say that Wemby was doomed because he is tall. I pointed out that by showing the stats and how long each was in the NBA, that the bulk of that list of players were IRRELEVANT.

Man In Black
05-06-2023, 01:23 AM

That was my point. That list of 7-3 players was what someone used to say that Wemby is doomed. I countered and added the stats to show how IRRELEVANT most of those players were in the NBA.

Also, Helicopter, in an ideal world, Wemby is the next coming of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, a 7-2 Wunderkind who did it all in the NBA. We could only be so lucky, if he ends up wearing the Silver and Black.

Brazil
05-08-2023, 01:07 PM
this reads more like a giant red flag than words of encouragement

:lol giant red flag... He is a freak athlete, is it riskier to draft him health wise than say Scoot ? yes absolutely... but so what ?
What is encouraging is the fact he is a smart kid, taking sound decisions to protect his future also he is having a full season now in a competitive environment without injuries.

There is no scenario in which you pass him up, the gap between him and the rest is too large... we are not talking Oden here.

Brazil
05-08-2023, 01:12 PM
That was my point. That list of 7-3 players was what someone used to say that Wemby is doomed. I countered and added the stats to show how IRRELEVANT most of those players were in the NBA.

Also, Helicopter, in an ideal world, Wemby is the next coming of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, a 7-2 Wunderkind who did it all in the NBA. We could only be so lucky, if he ends up wearing the Silver and Black.

I keep forgetting but Kareem was a legit 7"2, Victor is "just" 2 ou 3 cm taller

spurraider21
05-08-2023, 01:14 PM
:lol giant red flag... He is a freak athlete, is it riskier to draft him health wise than say Scoot ? yes absolutely... but so what ?
What is encouraging is the fact he is a smart kid, taking sound decisions to protect his future also he is having a full season now in a competitive environment without injuries.

There is no scenario in which you pass him up, the gap between him and the rest is too large... we are not talking Oden here.
i have never once suggested he should be passed up. you can read my post history on him lol.

but if im criticizing him for not playing at higher levels and competing in euroleague (as opposed to Luka), i dont like hearing "yeah but he can get injured easy" as the excuse.

Brazil
05-08-2023, 02:48 PM
i have never once suggested he should be passed up. you can read my post history on him lol.

but if im criticizing him for not playing at higher levels and competing in euroleague (as opposed to Luka), i dont like hearing "yeah but he can get injured easy" as the excuse.

An excuse or an explanation ? An excuse would mean he is afraid or something... I don't think he is afraid of playing in euroleague :lol

As I said previously he is a nature freak, last season he had plenty of minor injuries.. one year before draft he is privileging preparation and health over playing for a big european team... that's quite smart if you ask me.

If you draft him you will have to deal with that... that's why I pray the gods (prayingdog.gif) that San Antonio draft him, it's an organization smart enough to handle dat freakish body. If the Spurs get him prepare yourself to be concerned for his health hopefully he will end with a career ala Kareem but he can land on yao or oden territories.

Ariel
05-08-2023, 03:00 PM
Sabonis and Yao were probably closer to 300 lbs, Ric Smits not quite but definitely heavier, and those are not small details. All in all, probably the closest comparison body wise to Wemby is actually Kareem and nobody else, I think the inch or 2 of height difference matters far less than 100 lbs of extra weight. So Wemby is such an outlier that there are next to no valid comparisons to go by.

ambchang
05-08-2023, 08:44 PM
Body wise and even to an extent skill wise, Ralph Sampson is pretty much the only comparison.

But so what? I can’t think of a single nba prospect who has no risks since Lebron. And with the draft players getting younger and younger, the skills of the player become less and less developed. This more and more risks. Wemby is the one, maybe he’s be marred with injuries like Ralph Sampson, maybe he’d kill it become the next Kareem. Who knows?

james evans
05-08-2023, 11:41 PM
if we get him, he's gonna kill in the G league next season.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-09-2023, 11:59 PM
what are victor's views on open carry?