PDA

View Full Version : Any bargains to be had?

Ocotillo
05-04-2023, 07:34 PM
Now that we are into the second round of the playoffs and the playins are complete, who underachieved this season? Some teams may be looking to tweak, blow-up or move on from players as their dreams came crashing down this post-season. Let's take a look at what has transpired so far.

Teams that did not make it out of the Play In Tournament are Minnesota, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, Toronto, and Chicago. Ironically, the three Eastern Conference losers all owe future draft capital to the Spurs. But this thread is about the sting of disappointment and a team looking to shake things up so who may these teams make available?

Minnesota is in a tough spot as they way overpaid for Gobert. Not sure there is anyone they would make available on that roster that would be worth trading for. Naz Reid is an unrestricted free agent this off season and could be on the radar.

New Orleans is an enigma. They draft well and have put together what should be a competitive and improving roster but the big question is Zion and his inability to stay healthy. He is under contract through 2028 so this looks like a team that is going to be in purgatory unless he (Williams) can put together a couple of seasons of being available. I don't think they will want to mess with things too much for now.

Oklahoma City has reason to be optimistic. Holmgren should be back this coming season along with whoever they draft and with continued improvement of young roster I wouldn't expect them to be in the market to make trades. On the other hand, Presti loves to tweak.

Atlanta will probably make John Collins available again. I wonder what is going to come of Trae Young? I don't want him on the Spurs not that there is a trade to be made for anything we could offer. DJ comes up in '24 so I am thinking those unprotected firsts are looking better and better.

Toronto fired Nurse so the changes have begun already. VanVleet and Trent Jr. are unrestricted. We have a history of trading with these guys, anyone we want?

Chicago performed as we have come to expect a Derozan led team to perform. Vucevic is a UFA, DRoz comes up next year, Ball may be done, more tasty draft picks.

I realized I did not even discuss teams that did not make the playoffs that came into the season thinking they would.

To try and keep things manageable, I will devote this thread to the Play In losers. My thoughts are the Spurs (and us) are focused on the lottery and upcoming draft to see who we are adding to the roster. After that comes free agency but we have a spotty record of signing free agents and now that we are coming off a season with the second worst record, it will be even tougher to land a difference maker via free agency.

That leaves trades. We have a lot of draft capital. We have a lot of young role players. We have cap space. So, of the teams listed above, does anyone see anybody worth making a run at?

Philthemage
05-04-2023, 07:41 PM
Have been intrigued by Trent the last two years. Guy is a certified bucket but not sure how well he is on the defensive end. And definitely won't be cheap.

Mr. Body
05-04-2023, 08:33 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure the Spurs should be looking at acquiring players. Maybe there's a real bargain in there, but the team has so many draft picks coming up that we need to consider roster spots and managing the trove. Acquiring any player would cost assets for parts that might be bad fits.

That said, I could see moving a piece or two in one of those directions. I'm in the camp that Keldon will be moved this year. It wouldn't be outrageous to see Collins traded, but I'd be surprised.

What I do see as possible is using the cap space to help a team. I don't know how much we have for how long, but selling space to pick up a player and taking assets definitely.

scott
05-04-2023, 09:01 PM
I hate being "that guy" on your thread here, but ATL and MIN were not Play-In losers. Did you mean Play-In Teams who are now out of the playoffs?

Ocotillo
05-05-2023, 04:55 AM
I hate being "that guy" on your thread here, but ATL and MIN were not Play-In losers. Did you mean Play-In Teams who are now out of the playoffs?

Well I stumbled out of the gate on that rare occasion when I start a thread. Thanks for catching.

exstatic
05-05-2023, 09:28 AM
One of the best bargains in the NBA is a FRP on a rookie contract. In the next 6 drafts, we have 11 FRPs, and two swap options. There is absolutely no reason to rummage through the dumpster for bargains. In fact, any players signed will likely impact development time for our draft picks.

JPB
05-05-2023, 10:23 AM
One of the best bargains in the NBA is a FRP on a rookie contract. In the next 6 drafts, we have 11 FRPs, and two swap options. There is absolutely no reason to rummage through the dumpster for bargains. In fact, any players signed will likely impact development time for our draft picks.

If there's an opportunity, spurs should and would def consider it. I don't see them only relying on picks for the next 6 years. A proven guy might come more expensive but that's a proven guy. A FR pick might come cheaper but you have no idea how he will develop and you can't multiply the risks ad nauseam. Spurs will prolly use some of those picks in trades.

John B
05-05-2023, 10:47 AM
Will see in about two weeks. I think Spurs, if they’re lucky to draw #1, will surround Wemby with as much help immediately, and ease his transition to the NBA. The Spurs are thin at defensive big. I sincerely doubt they would package Keldon though, but he would be the odd-man and who could draw the most interest.

exstatic
05-05-2023, 10:50 AM
If there's an opportunity, spurs should and would def consider it. I don't see them only relying on picks for the next 6 years. A proven guy might come more expensive but that's a proven guy. A FR pick might come cheaper but you have no idea how he will develop and you can't multiply the risks ad nauseam. Spurs will prolly use some of those picks in trades.

The only way that markets like SA get superstars is to draft them, and you want the most chances possible to do that. We'll have to disagree on this.

John B
05-05-2023, 11:08 AM
The only way that markets like SA get superstars is to draft them, and you want the most chances possible to do that. We'll have to disagree on this.

I think Wemby would change that some. He is at least being advertised as the best prospect since Lebron’s rookie year. And how much more exciting for a another young Star to join him? I know Stars were not lining up during the championship years, but we already had TP and Manu then. Spurs don’t have anybody with a huge cap available. I honestly like Jaren Jackson if he could be had. I’ve read rumors of him maybe bidding goodbye to Griz fans?

exstatic
05-05-2023, 11:15 AM
I think Wemby would change that some. He is at least being advertised as the best prospect since Lebron’s rookie year. And how much more exciting for a another young Star to join him? I know Stars were not lining up during the championship years, but we already had TP and Manu then. Spurs don’t have anybody with a huge cap available. I honestly like Jaren Jackson if he could be had. I’ve read rumors of him maybe bidding goodbye to Griz fans?

Wemby's 14% odds actually changes things. You've drawn/drafted your superstar. I'm kind of not planning on that, though. If the 86% happens, you keep drafting.

BackHome
05-05-2023, 11:55 AM
Even if we get Wemb we still going to be a bad team that is why your seeing teams who had top 5 picks tank for two to five year’s straight. I am not saying we’re going to be like Houston, but I would go all in with our young kids let them get the playing time vs old vets. So the only reason I would take a vet would be because we’re doing it for the extra draft picks and not because we need that player to actually play for us.

John B
05-05-2023, 12:11 PM
Even if we get Wemb we still going to be a bad team that is why your seeing teams who had top 5 picks tank for two to five year’s straight. I am not saying we’re going to be like Houston, but I would go all in with our young kids let them get the playing time vs old vets. So the only reason I would take a vet would be because we’re doing it for the extra draft picks and not because we need that player to actually play for us.

I agree the Spurs would not be an overnight contender with Wemby. But I think the approach will not be like last season, where the Spurs just flat-out tried to lose games by trading their vets. I suspect they would start accumulating better help to surround Wemby, and start on a winning trend. I would entertain shopping Keldon/Collins for someone like Jaren Jackson. I just feel that kid should be a Spur like his dad.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-05-2023, 12:13 PM
The direction the team takes with the roster will rest on if we win the lottery. Wemby speeds up the rebuild, anyone else, probably not.

Ocotillo
05-05-2023, 01:37 PM
Odds are we don't get Wemby [but I personally feel we will (jinx, sorry)]. I don't see the team tanking next year, by that I mean, there will be an emphasis on defense next season and players won't be setting out for a hangnail. Therefore, I see them looking to bring a few vets in to be more competitive. That is why I started this thread thinking they plan to be better next season, even if they are not.

exstatic
05-05-2023, 01:58 PM
Odds are we don't get Wemby [but I personally feel we will (jinx, sorry)]. I don't see the team tanking next year, by that I mean, there will be an emphasis on defense next season and players won't be setting out for a hangnail. Therefore, I see them looking to bring a few vets in to be more competitive. That is why I started this thread thinking they plan to be better next season, even if they are not.

Why would you want to be at the end of the lottery instead of the middle? That's what a vet or two gets you. The best we could have done last year without dumping games would have been +10-11 wins, which would have put us #5 in the draft. If you throw a few vets in there, you might add another 5-7 wins, which would place us as low as 10th. Why? Improve organically by playing your recent picks, keep a few guys like KBD and Tre, and roll to a 5 or 6 spot.

poopbox
05-05-2023, 03:13 PM
Will see in about two weeks. I think Spurs, if they’re lucky to draw #1, will surround Wemby with as much help immediately, and ease his transition to the NBA. The Spurs are thin at defensive big. I sincerely doubt they would package Keldon though, but he would be the odd-man and who could draw the most interest.

Interesting cause I think the opposite. I think if they get Tall Tony Parker they will breathe a sigh of relief and spend most his rookie contract building around him. I don't think they going to sign some decent players to help him or cash in some 1st round picks for good players in trades. I think they going to say "we got 4 years to figure this out, no rush."

I think what they do with and pay Tre will show some of their hand. He is the quintessential backup point guard so they are not going to be able to retain him for dirt cheap. They let him walk cause the price gets to high they most definitely going to be in the tank business again.

Philthemage
05-08-2023, 08:06 AM
Looks like Raps won't be looking to bring back Gary Trent Jr. Wonder if Spurs will make a play for him.

exstatic
05-08-2023, 09:20 AM
Looks like Raps won't be looking to bring back Gary Trent Jr. Wonder if Spurs will make a play for him.

If we don't get Wemby, why do we want a vet who will likely knock us from the 5 spot to the 10 spot in the lottery next year?

Chomag
05-08-2023, 09:22 AM
No scrubs needed untill we can get a super star or 2 to help their make contracts work.

There is no point in actively adding more scrubs to a scrub roster.

However , if we get Wemby that changes allot of things and strategies. It would be great if we could surround him with at least the roster equal to David Robinson's rookie year.

mo7888
05-08-2023, 12:57 PM
Getting Wembanyama... that's the only thing that matters in regard to FA's at this point.. if we get him we go in one direction if we don't we go in another...