PDA

View Full Version : Jarace Walker - 2023 NBA Draft Prospect

timvp
05-11-2023, 02:05 PM
Jarace Walker
https://i.imgur.com/KgJOSYl.jpg

Full Scouting Report (https://www.spurstalk.com/jarace-walker-san-antonio-spurs-scouting-report/)

Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 240 pounds
College: Houston
Position: PF/C
Draft Range: 4-8

Spurs Comparison: Industrial Strength Robert Horry

Strengths: Defensive upside, basketball IQ, touch on floaters, winning ways

Weaknesses: Burst and explosiveness, offensive upside, shooting form

Full Scouting Report (https://www.spurstalk.com/jarace-walker-san-antonio-spurs-scouting-report/)

eXF_CielixI

Ariel
05-11-2023, 02:54 PM
“He seems like a Spurs guy but I’m not sure where he plays there,” a scout told me about Walker’s fit in San Antonio. “[Jeremy] Sochan and Keldon [Johnson] would be roadblocks to minutes. If he doesn’t shoot it, he could be stuck without a pathway.”
I think Walker is too heavy to defend elite NBA wings and too undersized to defend elite NBA bigs, making him a 4/small ball 5. Also his shooting is ok but nothing to write home about, especially from the FT line where he shot 66% which takes away some of my confidence in him sustaining that 3P% at the NBA level.
Most importantly, I don't think he's the better long term partner with Sochan, I'd like a better shooter next to him long term. I see Brandon Miller and Cam Whitmore as better fits given their shooting and off ball play, so I'd rather go with someone else.

Mr. Body
05-11-2023, 03:04 PM
Good review, hits basically everything on him.

He reminds me of Julius Randle, who was pick #7 and took a little bit to find his place in the league. Walker is much better a defender, Randle had no 3pter at all. But they feel a bit like tweeners, if well-built and strong.

It feels like that's his top-line, though?

- Hard-working defender, good apparent intangibles
- Weirdly low free throw attempts, did not seek contact on drives, fairly poor fg%
- Steals, blocks are nice, lowish rebounds
- His shooting from deep to me feels like a chimera. He was 1.0/2.8 attempts. Sochan was 0.8/2.7 attempts. It's actually not that far off, and Sochan's shot was clearly broken. Walker's ft% isn't really good.
- Where does Walker play?

I like him generally, but it's those two things 1) how good does he actually become, and 2) fit isn't there, and is he better enough in his Tier to pick over someone else? I'd rather grab a wing or guard that's needed with the same talent level.

spurraider21
05-11-2023, 03:15 PM
bench big imo

montrezl harrell is probably his upside, though harrell has 7'4 wingspan

the intrigue is if they believe the outside jumper is real

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2023, 03:43 PM
His scouting report reads a little like Kawhi's when he entered the draft. Of course Kawhi added so much to his game after college, so not comparing the two, per se, since few envisioned what Kawhi would work to eventually become.

rjv
05-11-2023, 04:02 PM
His scouting report reads a little like Kawhi's when he entered the draft. Of course Kawhi added so much to his game after college, so not comparing the two, per se, since few envisioned what Kawhi would work to eventually become.

dug this up: https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kawhi-leonard/

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2023, 04:11 PM

Thanks for finding that! :tu

You definitely don't read that and think Kawhi would amount to what he eventually became. I remember reading reports giving him a bit more defensive props, but yeah you certainly couldn't envision the polished, finished product when Kawhi was in school.

Not sure why Walker's intrigues, but he does. If Spurs are unlucky enough to draft at 6 or 7 he wouldn't be a horrible choice.

exstatic
05-11-2023, 04:43 PM

Kawhi's assist/TO was even, and he was a FAR stronger rebounder than Jarace, 10.6 in his pre-draft year to 6.8.

Mr. Body
05-11-2023, 05:01 PM
Yeah, what pops out in kawhi's college stats are those rebounds and that his ft% really wasn't terrible although his shooting from deep wasn't great. He also was a pretty good facilitator.

Walker's rebounding really is much lower (as are Whitmore's and Hendrix's). I wonder if this is era-specific; that there's many more threes shot nowadays, so misses are more up for grabs for guards (longer bounces). Jabari Smith and Brandon Miller are also fairly low... or Kawhi just was very good in this department.

Walker has decent assist nos., I feel. It's just that he's clearly a PF, imo, a position that is a hard fit in tody's NBA without some execptional skills, and Kawhi was clearly a SF moving into an era where the SF was perhaps the most dominant and important position in the league.

couchman
05-11-2023, 06:29 PM
Walker seems like a really nice piece on a team that is already coming together.
He also would help the Spurs with rebounding, which IMO was a sneaky weakness last season.
However, the Spurs need to shoot for someone with more potential than Walker, even if the possible floor is lower.
I guess if we end up picking 6th or 7th then maybe yeah we go for him.

mo7888
05-11-2023, 06:51 PM
Walker will make KJ or Sochan more expendable. If his outside shooting improves then he could play alongside Sochan and give us a bigger and interchangeable 3 and 4 position that would look pretty good. I think he's got a better future than KJ or Sochan. I'd have him in consideration for any pick after #2.

exstatic
05-11-2023, 07:34 PM
Walker seems like a really nice piece on a team that is already coming together.
He also would help the Spurs with rebounding, which IMO was a sneaky weakness last season.
However, the Spurs need to shoot for someone with more potential than Walker, even if the possible floor is lower.
I guess if we end up picking 6th or 7th then maybe yeah we go for him.

Walker is the worst rebounder of the four domestic big forwards.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-11-2023, 08:19 PM
I really want to like him and try to see past his raw numbers and especially his weird shot. Not at all concerned about his rebounding or fit but that J of his is slow and ugly. He’s young though, has a man’s body and has shown he can fit in a good team and impact winning, which is more than you could say for most other players in the draft.

Houston were pretty rigid offensively, very conservative, slow and deliberate. Hopefully he has more to his offence than what he’s been able to show.

Also, from I’ve seen, apart from his body type, he’s nothing like Randle, completely different players. Don’t get the comparisons at all.

Ariel
05-11-2023, 08:19 PM
At the time, nbadraft.net's comparison for Thiago Splitter was... Dirk Nowitzki :lol
It was ridiculous at the time for anyone who had actually watched Splitter play, and after a few years in the league it was so embarrassing that they went ahead and changed it in hindsight.
My point is, I wouldn't use anything nbadraft.net said as a reputable source.

spurraider21
05-11-2023, 08:59 PM
the way i see it, if we wind up with this guy that means the lottery went horribly wrong anyway and we were outside the top 5. but there are higher ceiling options out there that i'd explore

Ariel
05-11-2023, 09:01 PM
the way i see it, if we wind up with this guy that means the lottery went horribly wrong anyway and we were outside the top 5. but there are higher ceiling options out there that i'd explore
If we end up with this guy it means we screwed things up even if the lottery went horribly wrong.

spurraider21
05-11-2023, 09:03 PM
If we end up with this guy it means we screwed things up even if the lottery went horribly wrong.
inclined to agree

Chinook
05-11-2023, 10:30 PM
If Walker is a legit swing-forward, then drafting him even with Johnson and Sochan makes sense. I wouldn't be against the Spurs throwing a big offer at Cam Johnson precisely because I think that'd make a strong forward rotation. Plus add in how much Pop player Keldon at the two and Sochan at the 1, and position isn't the problem. He does just seem pretty limited for where the Spurs are picking. I do think folks are ignoring a scenario where the Spurs get 3 and trade down with Orlando for 6 and 11 and take Walker at 11 and Amen or whoever at 6. If the rumors are true and Thompson is their target, then Walker's just gravy, and I'm fine with that. I'm sure he has potential, and the second half of the lottery is where picking role-players who might show a chance to be more starts making sense.

Ariel
05-11-2023, 11:27 PM
A trade down from 2/3 to 6 + 11 sounds pretty good to me, and Walker at 11 is of course a very different story, but I'd still pass if one of Taylor Hendricks, Anthony Black or Keyonte George is available (likely the latter only). I just like their upside better.

duncan2150
05-12-2023, 04:21 AM
Walker is the worst rebounder of the four domestic big forwards.

Imo it's a bad take as He was playing a lot on the perimeter particullarly on O. With is IQ and the tools, it will depends on his role. Maybe he'll not be a monster rebounder but he will Be good in that area.

By the numbers (per36) he is a better rebounder than the other PFs projected in the first : Murray, GG Jackson, Hendricks....

Overall, like a lot il see him as a true PF and small ball five so he can play with Collins or sochan easily. I don't see a position problem.

Dejounte
05-12-2023, 07:00 AM
Imo it's a bad take as He was playing a lot on the perimeter particullarly on O. With is IQ and the tools, it will depends on his role. Maybe he'll not be a monster rebounder but he will Be good in that area.

By the numbers (per36) he is a better rebounder than the other PFs projected in the first : Murray, GG Jackson, Hendricks....

Overall, like a lot il see him as a true PF and small ball five so he can play with Collins or sochan easily. I don't see a position problem.

Plus the fact that there have been several rule changes in college basketball since Nephew was drafted, this is another example of taking stats without any context.

BackHome
05-12-2023, 05:38 PM
I think he is rising because people are talking about what he was doing in practice meaning he can handle the ball and has offensive potential. One thing when looking at a player especially a Freshman is that if they on a good team they are usually restricted to doing certain things and very rarely given the Green light on offense. You look at Sharpe he got picked high and he didn’t even play a lot was based on his practice scrimmages that the scouts were watching

exstatic
05-12-2023, 05:52 PM
Evaluating someone based on practice is no better than evaluating OTE game film.

Practice? You’re talking about practice? :lol

DPG21920
05-12-2023, 06:11 PM
I kind of like Whitmore over Walker as of today…..

spurraider21
05-12-2023, 06:42 PM
I kind of like Whitmore over Walker as of today…..
yep. feel like he kind of just comes in and becomes a better keldon with the requisite athletic ability to actually survive out on the perimeter

Mr. Body
05-12-2023, 07:01 PM
I think he is rising because people are talking about what he was doing in practice meaning he can handle the ball and has offensive potential. One thing when looking at a player especially a Freshman is that if they on a good team they are usually restricted to doing certain things and very rarely given the Green light on offense. You look at Sharpe he got picked high and he didn’t even play a lot was based on his practice scrimmages that the scouts were watching

Sounds like how U of Kentucky was swearing Sharpe was the best player in practice last year, despite refusing to actually play in the games.

Chinook
05-12-2023, 08:35 PM

Like Towns being a very good three-point shooter despite him not being allowed to shoot in college.

scott
05-12-2023, 09:08 PM
I get modern Dejuan Blair vibes out of this guy. How are his knees?

The Truth #6
05-12-2023, 09:11 PM
I’ve heard nothing about his cartilage…nor growth plates.

heyheymymy
05-13-2023, 12:49 AM
I remember reading Kawhis best possible player comp was Gerald Wallace lol

RobinsontoDuncan
05-13-2023, 09:17 AM
I swear the more I watch this guy play, the more he looks like a 3 to me. I strongly disagree with LJ that he doesnt have the offensive game to thrive out there. He has a pretty good handle and a more advanced feel for the game than a typical 19 year old.

I would love for this to be the pick.

exstatic
05-13-2023, 10:19 AM
I swear the more I watch this guy play, the more he looks like a 3 to me. I strongly disagree with LJ that he doesnt have the offensive game to thrive out there. He has a pretty good handle and a more advanced feel for the game than a typical 19 year old.

I would love for this to be the pick.

His defense is absolutely not up to checking 3s. He’s considered a bit lead footed even against 4s in college. He’d have no chance against NBA wings.

The Truth #6
05-13-2023, 12:18 PM
I think his shortcomings defending on the perimeter is at worst debatable. Ex it feels like you are conflating Dean on Draft to be consensus. Hendricks will be a better defender on the perimeter but is too light to handle people down low. Walker is a very solid all around defender. That’s the consensus.

Dejounte
05-13-2023, 12:55 PM
I think his shortcomings defending on the perimeter is at worst debatable. Ex it feels like you are conflating Dean on Draft to be consensus. Hendricks will be a better defender on the perimeter but is too light to handle people down low. Walker is a very solid all around defender. That’s the consensus.

If you’ve known ex on this forum for years, you’d know that his basketball views are very rigid. A few years ago, he took tankathon as gospel and now less so because the Thompson twins are up high on their big board that it’s a dilemma for him and his beliefs. No middle ground.

exstatic
05-13-2023, 01:02 PM

Dean isn’t infallible, and I don’t agree with everything he says, but what you need to understand is that he does analytics for a living, and that living is as a sports bettor. He puts his money where his math is. He puts skin in the game, which a lot of these player hype men don’t. He’s also not worried about the consensus, another thing I like. Dean also watches more video than anyone in this forum except maybe Dejounte. He analyzed the head to heads between Walker and Hendricks, and Hendricks, known primarily as a straight line driver, blew by Walker for a dunk, while limiting Walker to jumpers and floaters.

The Truth #6
05-13-2023, 02:22 PM
Analytics, sure, I think he knows that aspect really well. But is one or two plays in one game analytics or anecdotal?

Hey, I think both TH and JW have strengths and shortcomings but I prefer to compare them a bit more objectively. I slightly prefer JW to TH but I think both have challenges to being a star and both are more likely role players for the first several years if not always.

mo7888
05-13-2023, 04:07 PM
Analytics, sure, I think he knows that aspect really well. But is one or two plays in one game analytics or anecdotal?

Hey, I think both TH and JW have strengths and shortcomings but I prefer to compare them a bit more objectively. I slightly prefer JW to TH but I think both have challenges to being a star and both are more likely role players for the first several years if not always.

I agree with this line of thinking... I believe JW has a better chance to become a star than TH, which is why I prefer him, but I think TH has a better or more easily defined skill set to have a long career as a solid role player. There are solid arguments for each player depending on what the team does elsewhere

exstatic
05-13-2023, 04:49 PM
I agree with this line of thinking... I believe JW has a better chance to become a star than TH, which is why I prefer him, but I think TH has a better or more easily defined skill set to have a long career as a solid role player. There are solid arguments for each player depending on what the team does elsewhere

I think it all depends on who drafts them. Houston will ruin anyone they draft. We will do better. If you remember, Kawhi sat in the corner and shot 3 pointers for two years, while they honed his game in individual workouts and practice.

TD 21
05-13-2023, 05:04 PM
Even if they end up 5-7, given how high they are on Sochan, the inability to play them much together and his seeming lack of a path to stardom, I can't imagine them selecting him.

mo7888
05-13-2023, 05:19 PM
I think it all depends on who drafts them. Houston will ruin anyone they draft. We will do better. If you remember, Kawhi sat in the corner and shot 3 pointers for two years, while they honed his game in individual workouts and practice.

Absolutely agree... one of the biggest factors for any of these guys future is where they end up.... Houston has a real chance of ruining anybody they get.

Ariel
05-13-2023, 05:23 PM
Even if they end up 5-7, given how high they are on Sochan, the inability to play them much together and his seeming lack of a path to stardom, I can't imagine them selecting him.
In a nutshell.

TD 21
05-13-2023, 05:35 PM
Here's how I see it playing out . . .

1 - Wembanyama

2 - Henderson

3 - Henderson / (Amen) Thompson

4 - (Amen) Thompson

5 - 7 - (Ausar) Thompson / Black

Ariel
05-13-2023, 05:41 PM
Could be. In fact I'd like the Thompsons to go high, as long as it isn't to the Spurs. But hopefully we land no. 1 and all these concerns belong to someone else.

Ocotillo
05-13-2023, 08:19 PM
Absolutely agree... one of the biggest factors for any of these guys future is where they end up.... Houston has a real chance of ruining anybody they get.

Hope you and Ex are right but that could change with Udoka there now.

mo7888
05-13-2023, 08:33 PM

Ime's not the problem...the owner is....it starts at the top..

Ariel
05-13-2023, 08:34 PM
It definitely will. The second Ime took over marked the end of the disorganized, selfish, boneheaded, shot chucking days in Houston. He's got plenty of leeway to do things his way and I fully expect him to use his power and make an example of some poor schmuck right away (Porter Jr most likely, could also ship Jalen Green) to assert his position. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets end up trading for some "culture setting" veteran PG to lead the way like, say, Chris Paul. Like we say here in Argentina, "the toilet in the bathroom, the fridge in the kitchen", meaning things should be where they belong. And I think that's where Ime will start.

EricB
05-15-2023, 10:27 AM
Ime's not the problem...the owner is....it starts at the top..

yeah I’m still surprised Ime took that job. The front office and everything else down is dogshit.

The Truth #6
05-15-2023, 10:39 AM
I think Ime had to take what he could get but they do have young talent so it’s possible he could improve them somewhat at least.

I don’t trust Houston overall because the owner is a complete jackass. But I’m not sure if the front office is total garbage. Feels like they actually had a plan of tanking and the coach they just fired was sort of the patsy interim coach until they decided to change course. I think they’ve done well drafting in the mid first round and getting decent value. But overall I see the owner causing problems as the situation there got too chaotic.

Dejounte
05-15-2023, 10:47 AM
We saw how having a bad owner impacts ops. See Phoenix.

exstatic
05-15-2023, 12:14 PM
We saw how having a bad owner impacts ops. See Phoenix.

A bad owner's SON resulted in GS picking Wiseman and Kuminga when they could have had LaMelo and Franz Wagner. He listened to his damn kid instead of his GM, so I guess that's bad ownership, too.

Mr. Body
05-15-2023, 06:38 PM
Jordan Walsh shot very well.

Zach Idey was pretty fast among big dudes, a titch faster than a guy like Gobert or Cousins.

TJD also had good speed and jumping metrics.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-15-2023, 07:34 PM
His defense is absolutely not up to checking 3s. He’s considered a bit lead footed even against 4s in college. He’d have no chance against NBA wings.

That’s ridiculous. Have you watched him play at all? He’s a dominant defender on the perimeter

JPB
05-15-2023, 07:44 PM
yeah I’m still surprised Ime took that job. The front office and everything else down is dogshit.

I'm not, you should always try to be active as a coach in the NBA (not to be forgotten or considered out) and giving his baggage, that was not a given he would have received a lot of offers, better ones anyway. He mlay also have negociated some leeway to operate in that messy franchise.

Mr. Body
05-15-2023, 07:45 PM
At least stat-wise (and advanced) Jarace compares favorably to Aaron Gordon, who was drafted #4.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=jarace-walker--aaron-gordon

I didn't realize Gordon's ft% was so terrible.

spurraider21
05-15-2023, 08:21 PM
montrezl harrell possibly with an outside jumper. is that really somebody you'd want in the top 5?

exstatic
05-16-2023, 08:25 AM
At least stat-wise (and advanced) Jarace compares favorably to Aaron Gordon, who was drafted #4.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=jarace-walker--aaron-gordon

I didn't realize Gordon's ft% was so terrible.

Gordon never really panned out to the level of his draft selection. He’s a rotation level player.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-16-2023, 08:34 AM
montrezl harrell possibly with an outside jumper. is that really somebody you'd want in the top 5?

There's literally nothing in his game that is resembling Montrezl's tbh.

duncan2150
05-16-2023, 10:30 AM
There's literally nothing in his game that is resembling Montrezl's tbh.

+ 1

The Truth #6
05-16-2023, 10:38 AM
Montrell plus jumper minus 40 pounds sounds more like Hendricks?

duncan2150
05-18-2023, 01:33 PM
https://twitter.com/krystenpeek/status/1658903688260329479

noob cake
05-18-2023, 01:42 PM
Close thread. Jarace Walker has nothing to do with Spurs now.

kobyz
05-18-2023, 01:51 PM
I think Walker is too heavy to defend elite NBA wings and too undersized to defend elite NBA bigs, making him a 4/small ball 5. Also his shooting is ok but nothing to write home about, especially from the FT line where he shot 66% which takes away some of my confidence in him sustaining that 3P% at the NBA level.
Most importantly, I don't think he's the better long term partner with Sochan, I'd like a better shooter next to him long term. I see Brandon Miller and Cam Whitmore as better fits given their shooting and off ball play, so I'd rather go with someone else.
I think he can be an Al Horford, he only one inch shorter with bigger wingspan